DISCLAIMER: The characters from Xena, Warrior Princess belong to MCA and Renaissance. I have only borrowed them for fun and not for profit. The Tenth Muse is an historical figure, but I don't believe she's ever been characterized quite like this before.

Sex: Although not explicit, this is a story about two women in love, and the most famous Lesbian of all. If this type of story offends you, please choose another (but you'll be missing a lot of fun)!

Drugs: There is reference to liquor, partying and other drugs in this story. This author does not condone the use of mind altering substances, but she has nothing against a good time.

Rock 'n Roll: This story uses various songs and poems taken from many authors. Please see the notes at the end of the last chapter for a little more detail.

Kudos: A big thank you to Maria for putting up with me while I wrote this, and to Bunni Rowlett for helping me to make this story so much better than it ever would have been.

And now: LET THE SHOW BEGIN!

 

A BARD DAY'S NIGHT
Chapters 16 - Epilogue

by DJWP

 

Chapter XVI

 

"We know this much:

Death is an evil;

We have the Gods word for it.

They too would die if it were a good thing."

- Sappho, circa 625 B.C.

Gabrielle felt terrible.

"Sit down and let me look at it!" The bard scolded the warrior. Xena waved her friend away in annoyance and tried to walked away. Gabrielle grabbed her arm.

"Sit down or I'll give you another one!"

Xena laughed, "Ha! You and what army?" But she sat down in a chair anyway, chuckling, and lifted her face for her friend to inspect the black eye.

Gabrielle felt really terrible. She gently adjusted her friend's face for a better view in the candle light and then touched the bruised area softly with a finger tip.

"Does that hurt?"

"Yes."

"Let me put a cold cloth on it." Gabrielle took a clean cloth soaked in cold water from Sappho. The poet had anticipated the need and brought one over. The bard squeezed the water out and placed it carefully over Xena's eye.

"There. Does that feel better?"

"No."

"I told you warriors were just big babies." Sappho grunted and plopped down in a chair. She looked around the empty inn, obviously very annoyed at being stuck here for the rest of the night. Especially when the party was just getting interesting.

"Now what are we going to do?" Sappho whined. "And how could you just leave everyone behind?"

"Sappho, the city guards will break up that party. You friends will be back here in no time." Xena commented from under the wet cloth. She smiled up at Gabrielle and took over holding the cloth to her eye, "I'm fine Gabrielle. It's not the first black eye I've ever had, and it won't be the last."

"But it was my fault, Xena. I'm sorry."

"It wasn't your fault." Xena stated, staring directly at Sappho with her one good eye. Sappho shrugged her shoulders.

"She kept staring at me. And then her husband insulted Gabrielle! What were we supposed to do?"

Xena was seriously considering giving the poet another spanking when the door to the inn burst open. Laci came prancing in followed closely by Cleo, and then the rest of the troupe. They were excited and full of energy.

"What a fight!" Laci exclaimed, running up to Sappho and throwing her arms around the poet. "That was the best party yet!"

The young woman looked over at Xena just as the warrior was taking the cloth from her eye. "Ooohh! Xena! What a shiner! Who hit you?.......... Gabrielle! You didn't!"

"Of course not!" Gabrielle exclaimed, as Xena rolled her eyes and shoved the cloth into her hands. Gabrielle looked down at the cloth, realizing it was no longer cold. She walked off to dip it in the cold water bucket again and brought it back to Xena.

"Is everyone all right?" Xena asked Cleo.

The woman nodded unruffled. "Your Amazons rounded us up and brought us back. The fight was still going on when we left."

Xena looked to the four Amazons in the back of the room and nodded her approval. Rumi saluted her with a staff.

"Great!" Sappho clapped her hands together and stood, "Now that everyone is here, let's have a toast to the best performance yet!"

The entire troupe began to surround the table where Sappho, Xena and Gabrielle had been sitting.

"Where's Samthus?" Sappho called.

"Right here." The manager grumbled.

"Start pouring the drinks!"

"I'll help you." Cleo offered quietly. Together they moved behind the bar and started lining up the goblets.

"Tomorrow, we leave for Athens! The final city in my tour. I can't believe it's almost over. I'm not sure what to think about it? I just hope you have all had a good time!"

"We have, Sappho!" Calliope answered sadly.

"None of us wants to see it end." Erato said.

"Neither do I, but it is time. And Athens is a fitting end!" Sappho tried to keep the mood cheery while Cleo passed out the goblets. She put one down in front of each member of the troupe at the table, finishing the task by handing one to Gabrielle and then another to Xena. The warrior refused her goblet, still holding the cold cloth to her eye. Cleo shrugged and walked away.

Sappho started to raise her goblet into the air and then a thought came to her. She put the drink back onto the table.

"You know, we all have homes where we were born and families to return to. Some of you even have lovers that you have left behind. What I'm trying to say is that no matter where you go or who you go back to, you all have become as close as my own family to me. You will always be welcome at my home, as a member of my family. Each of you has filled a place in my heart. It's not as empty as it used to be, and never will be again. I thank the Gods for that. I really do."

Gabrielle found herself smiling at the poet. This was the first time she heard Sappho sound as though she had peace in her heart and had put her missing lover to rest. Perhaps she had.

Laci fidgeted nervously at the delay.

"Come on, Sappho! Don't go all mushy on us!" She raised her glass high into the air, "Here's to dessert!"

And she gulped down its contents.

Gabrielle raised her goblet into the air and was about to put it to her lips to drink, when a very strong and fast hand slapped it away, sending it crashing to the ground. The bard looked up angrily at the source of the slap to find Xena staring at her in panic. The warrior grabbed her shoulders for a moment and looked closely at Gabrielle's face, making sure she had stopped her from taking that drink. When she was satisfied that no harm had come to Gabrielle, she released her hold and ran to Laci. The young girl was gasping for air and had fallen to the ground.

"No one drink!" Xena yelled. With one great heave, she tossed the entire table over in anger, sending all of the goblets splattering to the ground. Everyone jumped away. Those who still had a goblet in their hand, threw it to the ground. Xena was instantly kneeling beside Laci, cradling her head in her arms. The young woman was dying.

"What's going on!" Sappho yelled, running around the shattered table to her fallen friend.

"She's been poisoned!" Xena hissed. Her mind was racing, trying to think of what she could do for Laci. There was nothing to be done. The poison was strong and fast, and doing its work quickly. Laci's breathing became more labored.

"What do you mean, she's been poisoned! She can't be poisoned!" Sappho swung around and looked at Cleo in confusion. The woman simply shrugged and watched over Xena's shoulder. Gabrielle took note of Cleo's reaction.

Slowly, Laci's labored breathing eased and then stopped altogether. The normally bright and cheerful eyes turned dull, and the slight smile which always adorned the beautiful girl's face faded. Xena closed the girl's unseeing eyes tenderly and laid her head down gently onto the floor.

"I'm so sorry, Sappho. There was nothing I could do."

"What are you saying?" Sappho grabbed Xena's arms as she rose from the lifeless body.

"She's gone, Sappho."

"She can't be gone!" The poet knelt beside the young girl and cradled her head in her arms, "She can't be gone! It's not possible! Cleo, do something!"

Xena backed away and returned to Gabrielle's side. Gabrielle had her hand over her mouth and was crying. The warrior waited a few moments before talking to her friend. She took her by the shoulders.

"Gabrielle, you didn't drink any of it, did you?" Xena asked, very concerned blue eyes boring down into the bard's. Gabrielle wiped at her tears.

"No."

"Thank the gods." Xena whispered, and pulled the bard into her arms to let her cry. The concern in the warrior's eyes faded to deep, dark anger and she scanned the room slowly, examining the face of each and every person present with a cold, hard stare.

The only person crying was Gabrielle. Everyone else seemed very confused. Except for Cleo who actually seemed to be looking at Laci and Sappho with amusement. And Samthus? The man was nowhere to be seen. The warrior's frustration was rising to uncontrollable levels. If she didn't get out of the room soon, she would end up putting her touch on every person there until someone confessed. Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea.

Gabrielle could actually feel the level of anger rising in her friend. She removed herself from Xena's embrace and shook her by the arms.

"Xena?"

Xena smiled briefly at Gabrielle in thanks for the timely distraction.

"I'm going to get the guards."

"Don't go."

"I have to get out of here. Stay with Sappho. I'll be right back, I promise." Xena released Gabrielle and left the inn.

Gabrielle moved over to kneel behind Sappho, who was still cradling Laci in her arms. The bard started to rub the poet's back with a soft hand.

"She can't be dead, Gabrielle. It's not possible. I don't understand!"

"Ssshhhh!" Gabrielle whispered, "There's nothing you can do. Xena will find out who did this. I promise."

And they stayed that way, until Xena returned with several city guards and they carried the body away.

Gabrielle closed the door to Sappho's room and sighed. She had helped the poet to bed realizing that this was the first time she had actually seen Sappho lay her head down and sleep. Gabrielle opened the door to her own room and looked in. Xena was not back yet. 'Probably still talking with the guards and the Amazons,' the bard thought to herself. She entered the room and closed the door behind her, then sat on the bed and rubbed her temples. She didn't hear Xena enter the room.

"Are you all right?" The warrior asked softly.

"I'm fine. Just have a headache."

Xena crossed the room and sat down on the bed beside her. The warrior flopped back with a groan.

"Are you all right?" The bard asked the warrior.

"It just doesn't make sense what happened down there!"

"What do you mean?" Gabrielle asked laying down on her side to look at Xena.

"Laci is poisoned and the only one who has any reaction to her death at all is you."

"Sappho seemed pretty upset."

"Sappho seemed confused, not upset." Xena commented, sitting up and turning around to look at Gabrielle.

"You're right though," the bard had to admit, "No one was reacting to her death the way they should have. Especially Cleo. She didn't even react at all!"

Xena grabbed Gabrielle's hand, "You saw that too, huh? Not only didn't she react, but she actually seemed a little amused by the whole thing."

Xena's eyes narrowed at her friend.

"I think I'm going to have a little talk with Cleo."

"Right now?"

"No time like the present!"

******

Xena looked everywhere for Cleo, but the leather clad woman was nowhere to be found. Having successfully disturbed everyone's sleep, the warrior returned to her own room even more frustrated than she was earlier.

Gabrielle had laid back on the bed and was just about to drift off into a blissful sleep when the bed began to bounce.

"Hey!" She complained, looking up at Xena, "Can't a bard get any sleep around here!"

The stiff silence of Xena's lack of response caused the bard to sit up in bed.

"What happened?" Gabrielle asked, noticing immediately her friend's frustration.

"She got away." Xena growled.

"What do you mean?" The bard asked, rising up on her elbows.

"I mean she's gone. I looked everywhere. She must have known we were on to her."

"Well, that's good then!" Gabrielle's grin dropped at Xena's lack of enthusiasm, "Isn't it?"

"Not when I don't know where she is.....or when she'll come back." Xena stood and looked out of the window.

"Do you think she'll come back?"

"Of course she will," Xena snapped back angrily, "She has to finish the job."

By the look in Gabrielle's eyes, Xena realized immediately that her reply had been too curt.

"I'm sorry, Gabrielle. I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just that I can believe I let her slip through my fingers like that!" Xena said, banging her fist against the window will.

"Don't worry, Xena. You'll catch her." Gabrielle assured the warrior softly.

"Well, I haven't been doing too good a job of it so far."

The warrior barely glanced at her friend as she turned to walk out of the room.

"Stay here, Gabrielle. Get some rest. Looks like I'll be pulling guard duty tonight."

Gabrielle dropped her head back onto the mattress.

"Who's idea was it to come on this adventure anyway?" The bard asked herself in exasperation.

Chapter XVII

 

"For if she flees, soon shall she chase

And, rejecting gifts, soon shall she give.

If she does not love you, she shall do so soon

Whatsoever is her will."

- Sappho, fragment #16, circa 625 B.C.

"Wake up, sleepyhead!"

"Huh?" Gabrielle lifted a tousled, red head of hair up from the bed and looked around in confusion. She had fallen asleep exactly where she laid down last night and not moved a muscle. Xena chuckled deeply and pulled the bard up by the hand.

"Come on! Everyone is ready to go, and we're all waiting for you."

"Xena! Why did you let me sleep? I need to change my clothes! Let me at least wash my face! I have to visit the chamber pot! Wait a minute!" The bard dug her heels in and stopped their progression towards the door, "Xena, you let me sleep through breakfast?!!!!"

Xena smiled and knocked over a lock of golden red hair that was standing straight up in the air, "I tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't budge."

"You did?" Gabrielle narrowed her eyes, not convinced that her friend had really tried, "I don't remember a thing! What did you ?"

"I played around with that belly button ring of yours."

"You did not."

"I most certainly did." Xena said softly, her eyes twinkling at the bard.

"I didn't feel a thing."

"Oh, you most certainly did." Xena's grin grew into a big smile, "But it didn't wake you up."

"You did not...........did you?"

"Oh, you smiled a little.....moaned a little, but I couldn't get you to wake up no matter what....."

"XENA!" Gabrielle was blushing from the roots of her red hair to the tip of her chin. She swatted Xena's arm and then looked down at her belly for signs of tampering.

"Wash you face and go to the pot. I'll meet you downstairs. I saved some breakfast for you." Xena said laughing as she exited the room.

"You saved some breakfast for me?" Gabrielle yelled after her, pleased that Xena had thought of her.

"Yeah, you can share Argo's oats." Xena answered with a laugh while walking down the stairs.

Gabrielle lost her smile.

"Figures."

She looked down at her belly ring one more time.

"She didn't play with it." Gabrielle sighed disappointedly and got ready to leave.

******

They were only a half a day's ride from Athens. Xena estimated that by mid-afternoon the troupe would arrive at the city gates and prepare for what would be their final performance. The warrior looked at the wagons, horses, and troupe members as they lined up outside of Arkarna's wall. They were at the same side entrance which they had used to enter the city the day before. Gabrielle came out of the side gate and walked to the front of the line where Xena stood next to Argo.

"Are you hungry?" Xena asked as she watched Gabrielle attach her pouch and staff to their assigned places on the mount's saddle.

"Very funny." Gabrielle answered flatly, "I'm not in the mood for oats."

Xena handed her a small wicker basket covered with a table napkin. When Gabrielle lifted the cloth, she found cheese, fruit and bread piled high.

"Xena....you are the best!" Gabrielle drooled with relish at the contents.

"Yeah, well.....enjoy. I'm going to check on our Tenth Muse. I'll be right back."

"Xena, wait a minute! What about Cleo? Any sign of her last night?" Gabrielle stopped poking through the breakfast basket to get some information.

The warrior did not respond, but continued to walk away.

"Do you have a plan?" The bard yelled. No reply.

Normally, Gabrielle would have resented being yet again excluded from 'the plan.' But, the basket full of breakfast was more than adequate compensation, for the time being. She bit into a piece of bread with enjoyment.

Xena was back in a moment.

"We're ready. Do you mind riding with Sappho again?" Xena asked Gabrielle as she mounted Argo. The bard's mouth was full, so she just shook her head in agreement, already expecting the request. Gabrielle moved away, still eating, and climbed into the back of Sappho's wagon. The poet smiled at her and grabbed an orange.

With a "yah" from Xena and the sound of wooden wheels groaning into motion, the troupe left Arkarna and headed towards the City of Athens; their final destination.

"From day to day, my journey,

The long pilgrimage before me.

From night to night, my journey,

The stories that brought us together....."

Sappho sang as they made headed away from Arkarna and out onto the road.

One day, one night, one moment,

With a dream to believe in

Over earth or by ocean

this way became our journey

This day ends together,

with stories that will be forever."

"That's beautiful!" Gabrielle whispered, watching the poet sing and play her lyre.

"Thank you." Sappho smiled. Gabrielle noticed, not for the first time and hopefully not for the last, that the poet had a beautiful smile.

"I wrote it last night. It makes me think of you Gabrielle."

The bard raised her eyebrows.

"Whenever I sing it, I shall think of you and that story you've been telling us."

Gabrielle looked at the near empty basket and blushed.

"You know, you never did finish that story!" Sappho complained, "I don't know if we'll have the time in Athens. How about telling me the rest now?"

"Well, what about everyone else?"

"Don't worry about them, they'll hear it. And don't forget, your friend the Warrior Princess claims she has already figured out the ending."

"Oh yeah, right." Gabrielle laughed, handing Sappho a piece of cheese and bread. "You know, I wouldn't be surprised if she did."

"I tell you what....I'll finish the story , if you answer a question first."

"OK. Deal."

"What are you going to do after Athens?" Gabrielle asked, looking at Sappho directly in the eyes.

"I don't know, Gabrielle. It depends upon the end of the story. If I remember correctly, the mole was inches from finding his love, only to find himself about to be pounced on by a rather nasty cat."

"Hmmmm." The bard thought, "I believe you are exactly right. Are you sure you want to know the end of the story?"

"Absolutely. I'm ready." Sappho answered softly.

"Let see...where was I? Oh, right. The mole was just about to become a snack for the sly cat who insisted that there was nothing more to life than play, sleep......and eat!

The cat smiled. Used to animals giving up when caught, she was pleased by such a show of endurance. She crouched, eyes narrowing. Looking around desperately, the mole saw a white wave of shirts and sheets rising in the wind. As the cat sprang, he leapt forward, catching a shirt by the sleeve. The thin rope bounced, wooden pins flew, and the shirt came down atop the mole, followed by the cat.

The owl, sitting trapped in the cage, opened her eyes in time to see a tangle of white tumble down atop the mole, followed by the cat. 'I knew you would come,' she whispered, 'I knew you would find me.'

The mole struggled, the cat clawed and soon they were so tangled in the shirt that neither could move. The cat was more agile and swift, and she was able to twist out of the tangled shirt. Even though the mole knew that his end was near, he would not give up to the cat. He stood, took a deep breath, then said to the cat, 'There is more in life..'

The cat narrowed her eyes and raised a claw. Suddenly, the cage holding the owl shook and swayed and grunting sounds came from below. The owl stood still as a statue and then the cage door swung open. Suddenly a flash of white caught their eyes. Gazing upward, they saw the owl rise into the moonlit sky and bank on a cool breeze.

The cat, distracted for moment, gave the mole a chance to run. Terrified, the mole ran to a stack of wood, scrambling wildly. The evenly balanced pile spilled down, a cascade of small logs rolling and tumbling across the yard. He pitched backwards, jostled on a tide of kindling, bounced from piece to piece, arms flailing.

The cat tried to jump aside, but wood leapt and clacked all around, tangling in her feet and slapping her flank. Losing balance, the cat staggered and scooted away.

Tumbling end over end, the mole came to rest against the cold stones. Shaking his head, he sat up as the owl swept low to the ground.

'Run!' the owl cried, pulling into the wind.

Looking back, he saw the cat rise from the piled wood, eyes fierce and bright. He would not be able to get away. The cat crouched again and then suddenly hissed, back hairs extending high into the air. A sudden shadow passed over the mole and came to rest on the face of the cat. The mole found himself sheltered by the shoulders of the wolf.

The wolf bared his teeth at the cat in a feral smile. The cat's eyes grew round as saucers and the wolf breathed a deep, hearty chuckle as the cat scampered away.

The owl flew lower in the night sky. Tears shone in her golden eyes as she tore against the wind, thinking that her mole was in extreme danger from the wolf. She banked on stiff winds and dove at the wolf, desperate to try to save her love. But as she sped down, claws extended, the mole waved her away and she arced into the air.

The wolf followed her line of flight. 'So,' he said quietly, 'You have found your love.

And you have chosen well. She would have fought for you, and died for you.'

'Have you been following me all this time' the mole asked in quiet wonder and disbelief.

The wolf gazed into the squint eyes, but did not answer. Instead, he studied the owl as she circled overhead.

'Go,' he said, 'and deepen your love.' His eyes lifted to the circling owl and he added in a whisper of admiration, 'If possible.'

The mole stepped forward, gazing into the wolf's silver eyes. He wanted to frame words of gratitude, yet could find none wide enough. So he simply said, 'Twice now you have saved my life, and you released my love from her cage. I will never forget you.' And as tears began to rise, the mole turned away.

The wolf watched as the mole ran away, followed above by the owl. The mole paused on the edge of the wood, turned, lifted a hand in silent farewell, then disappeared between dark trees.

The wolf stood in silent contemplation for a long while, lost in sad and precious memories. He lifted his eyes to the moon and smiled softly. Only then did he return his attention to the cat.

'Such love,' he said with quiet, dangerous authority, 'deserves to live.'

The cat, seeing the difference between her brief wildness and a true creature of the wild, between a breed tamed for generations and one never tamed from the beginning of the world, disappeared into the safety of its house.

The owl and the mole spent the night gazing into the lake of stars, hearts unfolding every thought and dream, past and present. They spoke of the far future, of the morrow, of the moment and how to weave them all into their life. Then off they went, taking in the wide world as they headed for their home, both surprised at how easy it was to return when you brought back everything with you.

But the wolf was not surprised, as he came out of the wood, lifted his eyes to the moonlit sky and saw a bird of purest white, followed below by a mole. And the turtle was not surprised, as he waited on the sandy shore, not afraid at all of the wolf who was slowly approaching. Together, they watched the flight of the owl and the path of the mole.

For a moment, it looked as if the mole, flapping his arms and racing toward the horizon was a shadow cast by the owl's wings; while the owl, gliding gracefully along the milky band of stars, was the true image of the mole himself, set free in the sky where he belonged. Then both disappeared into the blue night.

The turtle thought to himself, he would no longer be afraid to come out of his shell to see the whole wide world, and the wolf received the first surprise of his long, wild life: tears."

"So." Sappho sighed, "The mole found his love and together they went home."

"With the help of the wolf."

"And what if the wolf had eaten the owl?"

Gabrielle paused fearfully, wondering what exactly the poet meant by that question.

"After all, it would be in the wolf's nature to have eaten the owl....or the mole."

"Yes, but the wolf changed his nature......in the face of love, we can all change. You of all people should know that."

"Yes, I suppose I should." Sappho said.

"Even if the wolf had eaten his owl, he still would have had his love and the journey, and he would have gone home the better for it."

"But he found his owl alive. I'm glad. But not every story has a happy ending. I have a feeling that the wolf has eaten my owl, Gabrielle." Sappho paused and looked closely at Gabrielle, this bard, now her friend.

"I know about M'Lila, Gabrielle. I heard Xena's story. I'm sorry. I was listening last night when you were on the balcony. I know that was rude of me, but I couldn't leave, once I heard what the conversation was about."

Gabrielle was thunderstruck and did not know what words could help the situation or explain how sorry she felt. Her face must have shown her anguish, because Sappho grabbed her hand.

"That's not entirely true either, Gabrielle, and I need to be as honest with you as you've been with me. Actually, I had a feeling that Xena would know something about M'Lila. I knew it from the first moment I saw her at the concert in Avlon. It was her armor. M'Lila wore the same designs on her tunic. She had an amulet that was the same design as Xena's gauntlets. I suspected there was a connection. That was really the reason why I invited you to join me in the first place. As it turned out, I really did need your help...."

"Gabrielle, please listen to me. What happened was not Xena's fault. I do not blame her at all. We have no control over the fates. I know that for a fact. M'Lila knew what she was doing. I'm sure of it. There was a reason for her death and for Xena's life. Xena needs to understand that, just as much as I need to understand that M'Lila is gone. It's time I let go, isn't it?"

"Yes." Gabrielle agreed, "Yes. It's time. So what will you do after Athens?"

"Start over again. Travel some more. Play some more. I don't know."

Gabrielle moved the basket away and placed a hand on Sappho's knee.

"What about going home, the better for the journey."

"And what would I do at home.......alone."

"You are not alone. You have never been alone. M'Lila has been with you all the time, hasn't she. Your heart is full. You said so yourself." Gabrielle grinned crookedly as she squeezed the poet's hands.

"You've taught us all so much on this journey: why not teach others as you've taught us? You could start a school for poets, for bards, for music. Teach the world what you have learned on your journey. I think you've found your love after all, Sappho."

Sappho was silent as she regarded Gabrielle, wondering silently how someone so young and so beautiful could be so wise. The corner of the poet's mouth lifted in a grin.

"How about coming with me?" Sappho asked Gabrielle shyly.

Anyone else in all of Greece would have jumped at the offer. The bard merely smiled warmly at the poet before replying.

"You know I can't. My place is with Xena. She needs me."

Xena's sultry voice startled Gabrielle.

"Gabrielle, hand me an apple?" The warrior asked with a small grin. Gabrielle turned around quickly, wondering just how long Xena had been riding Argo alongside the wagon. The bard handed an apple over to her friend, a little distraught that she might have overheard the conversation.

"Thanks." Xena said, and clucked at Argo to move along as she took a bite.

******

They could see the city of Athens long before the road brought them to the city's gates. Athens was far larger than any city Gabrielle had ever been to, and though the bard had visited the city before, the sight of it's gates and spires never ceased to impress her.

Xena was never impressed by Athens, and she was even less enthusiastic as she recognized a large patrol of soldiers heading in their direction. The road was wide now, and led directly to the main gate for at least a mile, but the warrior recognized the signs of the patrol: a banner, the dust of hooves, and the sound of clanking armor faint in the air. She could almost smell the weapons. She could definitely smell the horses. The warrior continued to lead the troupe directly towards Athens knowing they would encounter the patrol half the way to the gate.

Sappho stood up in the wagon as she felt the procession come to a halt. She smiled down at the bard when she saw the large patrol of Athenian soldiers come to a halt in front of Xena.

"Gabrielle, they've sent us an escort!" The poet informed the bard proudly. Gabrielle stood to see for herself. The bard had to admit, it was very impressive indeed, and a little ominous.

"A little bit of overkill, wouldn't you say?" Gabrielle mumbled to herself, feeling more than a little worried.

Gabrielle's apprehension infected Sappho and the poet lost her smile. The bard looked around the wagon for her staff, cursing when she remembered she had left it in its place on Argo's saddle. Hadn't Xena always warned her to carry it with her at all times. Gabrielle gripped the side of the wagon and watched the warrior.

Xena pulled Argo to a halt, bringing the entire procession to a standstill. The Athenian soldiers thundered to a stop blocking the road in front of them. Their Commander brought his horse forward, nose to nose with Argo.

"Are you the escort to Sappho, the Tenth Muse?" The Commander asked briskly.

"Yes. This is her troupe of performers." Xena answered calmly.

"May I speak with her?"

Xena glanced over her shoulder at the wagon behind. Sappho stood tall and called out to the Commander.

"I am Sappho. Is there a problem?"

The Commander smiled, but not nicely, "We are to escort you directly to the palace where you and your performers will be received as honored guests of the King of Athens. He respectfully requests that you perform for him at the palace for the High Court of Athens."

"A 'command performance'! To a high court! Who does the King think he is?" Sappho asked, a little perturbed at being ordered to perform.

"Sappho....." Gabrielle whispered in warning.

The poet looked down at Gabrielle, thinking for a few moments.

"All right. All right." Sappho sighed, "Of course. I would be honored." The poet forced a smile to both the Commander and Gabrielle. The bard breathed her own sigh of relief.

The Commander pulled his horse back and positioned himself in front of his troops.

"Are you Xena, Warrior Princess?" He asked, looking directly at Xena.

"Yes, I am." Xena answered, narrowing her eyes at the soldier. Every instinct in her body told her to draw her weapon, but she willed her muscles to be still.

The Commander raised his hand and the entire first line of soldiers raised their crossbows and pointed them at the Warrior Princess.

"You are under arrest!"

"XENA!" Gabrielle yelled and began to jump out of the wagon.

"Stay where you are Gabrielle!" Xena barked. The bard froze.

"What is this about?" Xena asked, side stepping her horse to get the wagons behind her out of the line of fire. A line of crossbows followed her movements carefully.

The Commander smiled, "You are to be detained in Athens for final extradition to our sister city."

"What is he talking about Xena?" Gabrielle cried.

"Corinth." Xena stated flatly.

"That's right." The soldier said smiling with satisfaction. He was very proud to be the one to have captured the Warrior Princess. "You are going to finally stand trial for your crimes against Corinth, Xena. If you value the lives of your friends here, you will come with us quietly."

Xena regarded the Commander carefully. He began to squirm under her intense gaze, feeling as though two hands were choking his throat. The Commander and the line of archers jerked as Xena's hand reached for the sword in the sheath on her back.

Xena actually smiled, "I'm going to draw my sword and give it to my friend in the wagon."

"Give her that round thing, too!" The Commander ordered, "I've seen it in action."

Xena nodded and began to comply, not breaking eye contact with the Commander.

The Commander nodded, but motioned for the archers to keep their aim. Xena pulled Argo around and brought her alongside the wagon. Gabrielle was frantic.

"Xena, what are you doing!"

"Gabrielle, please listen to me! There are too many men. I can't get away without you or me and possibly everyone else getting hurt. He knows that and I know that. I have to go with them now."

Xena leaned over and handed Gabrielle her sword.

"I want you to go with Sappho to the Palace. You'll be safe there."

"NO! I'm going with you."

"Listen to me, Gabrielle!" Xena handed Gabrielle her chakram, drawing Argo as close to the wagon as the horse could get. As Gabrielle took the chakram, Xena pulled her close and whispered, "I'll meet you there later!"

"WHAT!" Gabrielle pulled away and looked incredulously into Xena's blue eyes. What she saw in them was amusement. Xena pulled the bard to her once again, placing her lips against her ear so no one could hear.

"Trust me. I have a plan." The warrior whispered and gave the bard a quick kiss on the cheek to cover the whisper. Xena was hiding a smile as she maneuvered Argo away and back towards the soldiers.

"How sweet!" The Commander snickered and then lost his smile as Xena's stare once again closed invisible hands around his throat. "Let's go! Take her away."

Xena moved forward and was quickly flanked on either side by an armed escort. The crossbows remained aimed directly at her body.

The Commander assigned two soldiers to stay behind with the troupe and escort them to the Palace.

Xena looked at the remaining soldiers guarding her on either side.

"Are you sure you brought enough men?" The warrior commented snidely.

"More than enough to capture you." The Commander answered.

"Are you sure?" She repeated, turning in her saddle to stare back at him, and then glared at the surrounding soldiers one by one. She smiled as all the crossbows seem to waver just a little. "I wouldn't be so sure if I was you." She snapped Argo's reins and trotted forward, surprising the entire escort. They had to drop the weapons in order to catch up.

Gabrielle watched with a mixture of worry and anger as they led Xena away, or rather as Xena led them away.

"I have a plan, she says.....I have a plan.....well, I wish for once you would let me in on 'the plan' ahead of time." The bard smacked the side of the wagon and then winced when the wood hurt her hand. "Oooww!! Great Goddess!! She's enough to drive a bard to drink!"

"Here! Have one." Sappho handed Gabrielle a wine skin and placed a hand on her shoulder, "I'm sure Xena will be fine. In fact......take a look at that!!!" Sappho pointed and started to laugh. Gabrielle, who had taken a big sip from the wine skin, had to spew the liquid out to keep from choking.

Xena was riding in circles around the Athenian patrol. She was weaving in and out of the soldiers, making it impossible for them to use their crossbows; any shot at her would cause them to hit their comrades.

The soldiers began to plow into one another in total confusion as they gave chase. The action was happening a bit far down the rode, but Sappho, Gabrielle and the rest of the troupe could see everything clearly. The entourage began to hoot and howl in encouragement. The remaining two palace escorts fought the desire to go to the aid of their failing cohorts. The way things were going, they were thankful that their orders had been to stay with Sappho.

Xena rode Argo in and out of the soldiers, stopping only to kick one off of his mount or pull another to the ground. She thundered up the to standard bearer and grabbed the Athenian flag right out from his hand. Turning Argo swiftly, she leveled the pole and drove her horse forward, plowing two rows of on-coming attackers completely from their saddles. Most of the patrol ended up biting the dust when she finished her run.

The warrior turned her mount and laughed. She swung the banner around and tucked the end under one arm. Rearing Argo up, she headed directly for the Commander, knocking down any soldiers remaining in their saddles along the way. The Commanders eyes bulged wide as he watched the Warrior Princess aim the pole directly at his chest. He turned his horse around and began to gallop away. He could hear the Warrior Princess cackling in amusement.

Xena chased the Commander down the road towards Athens, leaving his patrol either scattered in the dust or fleeing in the opposite direction. The warrior goosed the Commander in his butt with the pole every time she came near enough, making sure she missed no opportunity. The Commander eyes popped each time, but no matter how fast he rode he still felt the wrath of Xena's revenge poking him in the arse.

Finally Xena grew tired of the chase. They were almost to the City's Gates and in full view of the soldiers guarding the battlements. Xena pulled up parallel to the Commander and, flipping the pole skillfully around her body, she knocked the Commander off his horse. His baritone scream filled the air as he landed butt first on the ground and then suddenly found himself staring at the Athenian banner planted firmly between his legs. Another inch and he would be screaming in soprano.

The guards on the city walls aimed their crossbows to try to help the Athenian Commander, but they were apparently laughing too hard. An array of arrows missed Xena completely and thudded into the ground. The Warrior Princess reared Argo in triumph, raising a hand to acknowledge the cheers from the Athenian soldiers watching along the wall and galloped away disappearing into the woods beyond.

******

Gabrielle paced back and forth in the very large room given to her and Sappho inside of the palace. She stopped briefly at the table where she had laid Xena's sword and chakram. Gabrielle was sure she would be returning them to her friend shortly, but she was worried just the same.

"You know, she is just absolutely amazing!" Sappho commented from the large, cushioned chair in which she was sitting. The chair was so large, it practically swallowed the small poet. She was able to drape a leg over one arm and lean comfortably against the other.

"Yeah, she's incredible all right." Gabrielle mumbled sarcastically.

"Stop worrying about her. She'll probably sneak in here after it gets dark."

"If she were smart, she would just stay away and let me watch you until after the performance. I know she won't do that, she'll sneak in here and risk getting caught again! Gods be damned, I wish she would let me in on what she's thinking!"

"Why was she being arrested anyway. What happened in Corinth?" Sappho asked, taking a big, juicy grape from a bowl. They were being kept in extreme luxury during their stay and Sappho, for one, intended to enjoy every minute of it.

"I don't know the whole story, but she led an attack against Corinth. Apparently, she lost the battle, but not without great cost to Corinth. She won a lot of notoriety somehow, even though she lost. I think she came closer to overtaking the city than any other warlord. I know one thing for certain, a lot of blood was shed at Corinth..... a lot of lives were lost. It gave her the reputation of being one of the coldest and bloodiest warlords to roam the known world. Xena of Corinth, Warrior Princess of Calmi, Destroyer of Nations.......I'm sure you've heard them all."

"I wonder what would have happened if she had conquered Corinth?" Sappho mused.

"You'd probably be performing to Xena, Queen of Athens today. It is said as Corinth falls, so falls Athens. And whoever rules Athens, rules Greece."

"I wonder what kind of ruler she would have made?" Sappho wondered aloud.

Gabrielle grunted, "Ares thinks she would have made an excellent ruler. In fact, he's still after her to rule the world in his name!"

"Ares?" Sappho sat up intrigued.

"She's his 'favorite'. Believe me, it's no honor. He doesn't leave her alone. He's constantly tempting her and luring her and trying to trick her back onto her bloody path. I don't know how she resists him. Sometimes, it scares me that she can't.....or won't be able to one day."

"I know what it's like to be the favorite of the Gods. They are very jealous, Gabrielle. They ruin our lives and call it their blessing." Sappho snorted and stood up from the chair to walk over . Gabrielle was now looking out of the window at the Athenian skyline.

"Let me tell you a secret about the Gods, my little bard." Sappho began, sitting on the window sill, "The Gods on Mount Olympus, with all of their powers and supposed immortality live in total fear of us, did you know that?"

Gabrielle turned to the poet with questioning eyes.

Sappho answered without being asked, "Because we have something that they can never have, can never even hope to obtain. They are jealous of us because of this, and that is why they torment us so!"

"What are you talking about Sappho?"

"I'm talking about love, Gabrielle. We mere mortals are capable of loving....loving one another so deeply and completely that it binds us together and carries us beyond our mortal selves into eternity. We have it with us now and we take it with us when we go to Elysia. It makes our spirits strong and gives us our own immortality."

"The Gods think they are immortal, but they are not. They live without ever knowing what it means to love. They are petty and cruel, and yet, with love, we manage to overcome their cruelties. It drives them insane!"

"They could no more feel true love than know what it means to bleed. It is not in their nature, Gabrielle. They envy us for it. It makes us more powerful than they are and it will one day destroy them all. Their inability to love, to feel compassion, to be human, will cause them to fade away and disappear, while we mortals will live on forever, carrying our love with us."

Sappho laughed and suddenly hugged Gabrielle.

"You have nothing to worry about, Gabrielle! Ares will never be able to lay claim to Xena again. She has the strongest force in heaven and earth protecting her now! He is powerless against you, little bard! The God of War can only bow down to his knees in the face of such love! What a song that would make! Why it might be the first song in honor of a God that I will ever write! HA!"

"What are you ranting about, Sappho." Gabrielle asked, laughing a little.

"Don't belittle your role in this great tapestry, Gabrielle. You may feel left out, but you are really the most important part of the plan, my friend. Always. And Xena knows this. So forgive her if she is a little over-protective of you."

"You mean, I really am a part of the plan?" Gabrielle asked softly, looking out of the window.

"Of course you are. The Gods would prefer it if you weren't. Keep Xena wallowing in her darkness and keep you naive, that's the way they want it. Xena is a strong soul. Too strong for her own good. She openly defies the Gods and they are very aware of her opinion of them, just as they are aware of mine."

"How do you know that?"

"I have my sources. I am a favored of the Gods as well, remember? More than one, I'm afraid. That's why they took my strength from me. My M'Lila. We were as close as this." Sappho pulled Gabrielle into her arms and brought her lips almost to the point of kissing and then released her.

"We were so close, Gabrielle, but we were unsure. I doubted her love, though just for a moment. It was enough for the Gods to be able to separate us forever. Now, I am powerless against them and so I am pressed into their service. As if in learning how to sing about love, they will somehow be able to feel love." Sappho laughed to herself at this.

The poet stopped laughing and continued, "But they cannot force me to honor them in my song! That, I will never do! The words which I write may be immortal, but my words will not carry the Gods with them into immortality. That honor I save for love."

Gabrielle looked out of the window and noticed that the sun was close to setting. The last rays of color were shooting out from behind a temple, washing the marble with streaks of red and gold. The temple suddenly looked very barren to Gabrielle, barren and cold. 'No wonder the Gods prefer marble,' she thought to herself.

Sappho grabbed Gabrielle by the shoulders and turned her around, "Gabrielle, you told me I should teach the world what I know. Please take a lesson from me now. Don't do as I did. Do not doubt your love for Xena or Xena's love for you. At the first possible moment, tell her how you feel. Make sure she knows and understands that the strength of your love is there for her to lean on, should she ever need it........before something happens and it's too late."

Gabrielle thought back on Xena's death and the strength that was needed to bring her back. If Xena had known that the strength was there in the first place, maybe she would have never left. Somehow it seemed the longer they traveled together, the harder and more deadly their obstacles became. Perhaps the Gods did have some need to keep them apart after all. Certainly Ares did. The bard pulled the poet into her arms and hugged her as tightly as she could.

"I will," she whispered into Sappho's ear, "I promise. I will."

******

A lone figure scurried along the street in the sunset towards the Palace gates. He was stout and unsure of himself, and seemed to be talking to someone although there was no one walking with him.

"Well, I certainly hope she remembered to put me on the guest list." Salmoneous said to himself, "After all, she promised I would be able to get in. She also promised it wouldn't be dangerous. Just deliver the message, find out where the guest quarters are, enjoy the performance, and meet her back at the inn. Sounds easy enough."

He shuffled to the gate and found himself staring at the point of a lance.

"I should know better than to believe her."

"Who are you and what do you want." The guard asked threateningly.

"My name is Salmoneous. I'm on the guest list."

"Guest list? You fool, there's no 'guest list' to get into the palace."

"I should have known better than to listen to her!" Salmoneous chided himself. The guard became impatient and poked him with the lance.

"Easy with that! I'm here to see Sappho, the Tenth Muse. I have an important message for her."

"No one gets in tonight but the High Court!"

"I think you might be in big trouble if Sappho doesn't get this message. Believe me, if she doesn't get this message, she might not be able to play at all! Then you'll be in trouble with the High Court and everybody else in the palace!"

The guard seemed to think about this for a moment. He motioned for another guard to join him. They spoke for a moment and the second guard ran off into the castle.

"Wait here. We'll see if she will come down."

The second guard ran through the halls of the castle and took to the stairs two at a time. He headed directly for the guest chambers only to be stopped by the man who he recognized as Sappho's manager guarding the door to the poet's chambers.

"What is it?" Samthus asked briskly.

"There is a man downstairs with an important message for Sappho."

"Oh really?" Samthus asked smiling at the guard, "I'll come down with you and get it for Sappho."

"Fine then. Come with me."

Samthus followed the guard down the stairs and to the gate. Salmoneous watched as they approached thinking to himself that the Tenth Muse was a very masculine looking woman.

"Are you Sappho?" Salmoneous asked, eyeing the beard skeptically.

"Certainly not!" Samthus answered with disdain, thinking that this man must be a fool, "I am Sappho's personal manager. You can give the message to me."

Salmoneous thought about this for a minute. Xena had said that the message was specifically for Sappho.

"The message is personal."

Samthus pulled Salmoneous away from the guards, "Sappho is about to give a command performance to the King of Athens. Do you think she has time to listen to messages from an unknown messenger?"

'That made sense,' Salmoneous thought and then said, "I'm really not unknown. I'm a close, personal friend of Xena, the Warrior Princess. You've heard of her I'm sure!"

Samthus' eyes narrowed as he looked at this man, "The message is from Xena then?"

Salmoneous nodded.

"Even more reason to give it to me now.....so I can get it to Sappho right away!"

The salesman looked around ensuring that no one would overhear.

"Well!" Samthus prompted impatiently.

Salmoneous made up his mind. Better he give the message to Sappho's manager, than to no one at all.

Salmoneous lowered his voice, "She wants Sappho to tell Gabrielle that she should stay where she is. Xena will meet her here in the palace after the show."

"Xena will sneak into the palace and meet them here?" Samthus asked with a sneer. "Where is she now?"

"At a tavern called the King's Head."

"She's very brazen, isn't she. Sneaking into the city, a wanted criminal, and waiting in a public place."

Salmoneous shrugged, "She was thirsty."

"I'll tell the bard myself." Samthus grunted and walked away.

"Hey what about me?" Salmoneous called after him. Samthus turned around.

"What about you?"

"Xena said you'd be able to get me in to the palace tonight to see the show!"

Samthus thought about this for a moment. Better to get this man in here now so he wouldn't report back to the warrior that the message had been received by someone other than the poet.

"All right. Come with me." The manager barked, and led Salmoneous away.

When they returned to the main gate, Samthus paused to face the palace guards. He grabbed Salmoneous' arm and pushed him towards them.

"This man is a conspirator with Xena, the Warrior Princess!"

Salmoneous eyes widened as two lances leveled at his throat.

"He's trying to help her to get into the palace and attack the King. I suggest you arrest him immediately while I inform your commander."

The soldiers grunted in agreement and grabbed Salmoneous by the arms, practically lifting him from the ground to take him away.

"You're going to jail, you piece of dung!" one of the guards barked.

"Wait a minute!" Salmoneous yelled. They paused.

"Will I be able to see the show from my cell?" The entrepreneur asked meekly.

The soldiers grunted and took him away.

"Well, Warrior Princess, thank you for the message. I'll be sure to send you a prompt reply!" Samthus' wicked chuckle filled the courtyard as he headed for the commander's quarters.

******

 

 

Athens is never a quiet city. As the sun set, its streets were as filled with activity in the encroaching darkness as it was in the bright light of the day. This was especially true of the street on which the King's Head Tavern was located; the tavern itself the cause of much of the bustle in this part of the city. It's patrons filled the street as they entered and left the busy inn.

As much as Xena disliked the enclosed places and constant noise of larger cities, she silently gave thanks for the blanket of anonymity Athens provided her on this night. She walked out of the sunset and into the dusk of the King's Head virtually unnoticed. Of course, the hooded black cloak she wore helped immensely. No doubt, if she had entered the tavern displaying her usual warrior regalia, a few heads would have definitely turned in her direction. As it was, shrouded in the cloak, no one gave her a second glance.

The warrior chose a shadowy table far in the back of the busy room. The hood covered her fine features, but could not mask the intelligent gleam shining from her eyes as she scanned the tavern's main dining room. One slightly blackened eye only added to the mystique.

A barmaid came over to taker her order. The waitress raised her eyebrows in surprise as the soft low tones of a woman quietly asked for a port. Women did not often patronize the King's Head. The waitress studied the mysterious woman a little more closely and noted the finely crafted gauntlet adorning her arm under the cloak as Xena reached out to hand her a dinar for the drink. The woman raised an eyebrow discreetly and took the coin.

A few moments later, the barmaid returned with a mug in hand and placed it on the table in front of the hooded customer. She turned away promptly deciding it was probably best to leave this particular patron alone. Xena sipped her drink, waited, and thought.

Xena had no doubt that Cleo would return, make her way to the palace and complete her self appointed mission. The insane had a tremendous ability to focus; she had learned that from Callisto. She had to get back into the castle, even if it meant she would eventually be caught and arrested. The warrior had no choice. Sappho was still in danger. Even worse, Gabrielle's closeness to the poet made her a target as well. For now, all Xena could do was wait for the sun to set and provide her the cover of darkness.

The warrior's thoughts were disrupted by a patrol of palace guards entering the tavern. She pulled the hood further forward over her face and watched their movements with the eyes of an eagle, her thoughts racing to grasp what their presence might mean. If they were here for her, then her message to Gabrielle had been intercepted. They were in trouble.

Customers strained their necks to watch the progress of the soldiers as they sauntered through the room. Xena quickly picked out the commander and sat back further into the shadows as he passed by her without a glance. Perhaps they weren't looking for her after all?

Xena's hands gripped the edge of her table when the commander paused to talk to the barmaid. The woman's eyes met her own and the commander turned quickly to look back in her direction. 'Hera's tits!!' Xena cursed under her breath. They were looking for her. 'Well, I always said the best way into a castle is through the dungeon!.'

The commander strode arrogantly towards her table, knocking a few of the patrons roughly out of the way. Two other soldiers noticed his urgency and started moving through the room in the same direction, flanking their commander on either side.

Xena waited like a cat until the last possible moment before taking action. Her eyes gleamed with anticipation from under the hood.

The soldiers reached her table and stood before her as though their presence alone would cause her to surrender.

"Hello, boys! Can I offer you a drink?" Xena smiled prettily.

Her drink spilled all over the commander, as she lifted the entire table by the legs and shoved it forward into the three guards, driving them halfway across the room before they tumbled over a bench and crashed to the floor. Xena dropped the table onto their chests and left them in a heap.

The infamous warrior had the full attention of the entire room as she threw off her cloak. She instinctively reached for her sword and cursed as she remembered she had handed her weapons over to Gabrielle earlier. Oh well, she didn't need her weapons anyway. Xena stalked the room, turning purposely in a full circle, setting the boundaries that would control the direction of the next attack.

The inn's customers scurried to the corners of the room, mumbling cries of recognition as they crashed past chairs and tables, pushing them out of the way. Xena continued to circle, patiently waiting for the guards' next move. They surrounded her reluctant to attack.

The soldiers froze in surprise as Xena's warrior cry pierced the air.

"AIYAIYAIYAI!"

Xena flew off the ground and twisted mid-air, landing suddenly somehow outside of the guard's circle. The warrior kicked a soldier in his butt, sending him flying into the soldier directly across. They all fell to the ground. The guard to her left swung his sword. She ducked his swing and punched him squarely in the nose. The impact sent the man flipping over the bar, crashing bottles and mugs everywhere.

The soldier to her right swung his sword. She ducked that blow and hit him with her fist in the groin. His eyes bulged and he buckled over. Xena toppled him back with the heel of her boot.

The warrior motioned with her hands that she wanted more. The two remaining guards gulped and moved towards her, one coming from either side. She waited until they were at arms length and then leaped into the air knocking both of their heads back with a double kick.

But she hated to leave a job half done. As soon as she landed, she spun, planting a firm back kick into the stomach of one and then swinging her leg forward without putting it down to plant a crushing front kick into the groin of the other. They both dropped to the ground like two sacks of manure.

Xena relaxed, looking around the inn with a smirk.

"Is that it?" she said to the room, "And I was just getting warmed up!"

The commander finally managed to extricate himself from beneath the table and cleared his head. He approached Xena on wobbly legs.

"You're under arrest!" he ordered.

The customers in the room began to laugh.

Xena smiled, "I think you ran out of soldiers."

The commander drew his sword and approached her with a sneer.

"Then I'll arrest you myself!"

Xena laughed heartily at him, seriously wounding his pride. She assessed his stance and the way he held his sword with a smirk, and knew full well he was no match for her whatsoever. She opened up her arms to him in surrender.

"Take me, then," she taunted, "I'm all yours."

The commander cried angrily and lunged. Xena ducked easily out of the way. He swung again. She ducked again. He swung a third time. She twirled out of reach.

"You keep missing the target," she laughed.

The commander turned red in his rage as he shifted his sword in frustration. Xena's laughter grated against his nerves.

"Getting a little hot under the collar?" The warrior teased.

The commander swung in anger, totally missing his mark. He was rewarded with a face full of mead, courtesy of the Warrior Princess.

"Have a drink," Xena laughed.

He swung and missed again. Splash! "Have another!"

Xena couldn't believe it herself. He was actually going to swing again! She ducked. Splash!

"Have another!" The warrior backed away, shaking her head in disbelief. The entire inn was laughing with her. "Haven't you had enough yet?"

It was too much for the poor man. He threw down his sword and lunged at the Warrior Princess with both hands. Xena let him reach her, allowing his hands to wrap around her throat before trapping his arms in an extraordinarily strong grip. She shoved him back in the direction he came, and pushed him against a wall.

His back hit the wall with a great thud and he grunted. Xena slammed her fists down on his arms, almost breaking them in two. It broke the grip around her throat. Then, grabbing his shoulders, she smiled one more time for his benefit before knocking him out cold with a vicious head butt.

The commander slid down along the wall to the ground, no doubt seeing stars and moons circling slowly in front on his eyes.

Xena backed up and looked around the tavern.

"Anybody else?" she asked calmly.

The soldiers were slowly returning to consciousness, lifting sore bodies from the dust. The inn's patrons stared with a mixture of fear and awe as the Warrior Princess captured each and every set of eyes in the room with her own.

"No one arrests me.....unless I want to be arrested......you got that?" Xena announced. No one doubted her.

Xena waited until the guards stood to their feet, watching them with disdain. They wiped off their pants and adjusted bent armor. The commander came to as well, rising up on shaky legs and holding an aching head. He looked at Xena warily.

"You may arrest me now." The warrior said flatly.

"Huh?"

"You came to take me in, didn't you? Well, ya got me....fair and square. Let's go!"

The commander waved his arm, ordering his men to flank the prisoner on either side. With a nod, they followed Xena as she turned and headed out the tavern door.

The commander waited until she was just about to exit and then ran up behind Xena, knocking her unconscious with the hilt of his sword. The world turned black around her, as Xena crashed to the floor.

******

 

 

"Well," Sappho said picking up her lyre, "This is it. The final show. In front of the King of Athens and his High Court. Before, I would have fought hard to be able to play in front of the entire city. I guess that doesn't matter any more does it?"

"Of course, it matters. The people love you, Sappho." Gabrielle smiled at the poet and fixed her hair, "Don't you ever comb your hair?" the bard asked trying to straighten out a few braids.

"My hair? I never thought about that! Why should I? Does it look bad?" Sappho said, suddenly concerned about her appearance.

Gabrielle laughed, "Don't worry about it, Sappho. I couldn't imagine you looking any other way."

The bard smiled into Sappho's steel, gray eyes and was graced once again with the poet's enormous grin.

"You'll still be here after the show, won't you?" Sappho asked with concern.

"I'm not going anywhere until I hear from Xena."

"Don't you want to watch?"

"Yes, but I think I better wait. When she climbs through that window, I want to be here."

Sappho scurried to the window and looked down. It was a clear drop to the street below, at least three giants high.

"Gabrielle, you've got to be kidding! Xena couldn't possibly climb all the way........." The poet's words caught in her throat in alarm!

"What's the matter!" Gabrielle asked worriedly as she hurried to the window. The two looked down at the courtyard and watched as a patrol of soldiers returned to the palace. The commander was proudly leading, his prize a golden palomino by the reins. Gabrielle's hand flew to her mouth to stifle a cry as she recognized the frighteningly still, leather-clad body draped over the mare's back.

They watched as the commander halted the patrol and jumped down from his own horse. The patrol dismounted after him. They pulled Xena from Argo's back and dragged her along by the armpits. Gabrielle breathed a sign of relief when she noticed her friend barely return to consciousness, trying to stand and struggle against their grip. At least she was alive.

The soldiers carried their prisoner into the dungeons and out of sight.

Sappho and Gabrielle looked at one another with open mouths.

"What are we going to do!" Sappho exclaimed. "We have to help her!"

"I have to talk to her." Gabrielle said, thinking hard, "I have to make sure she's all right. Find a way to get her out of there!"

"I can postpone the performance. Ask the King if I can go to see her?" Sappho suggested.

"Wait!" the bard yelled, "That gives me an idea. Well, it's actually Xena's idea, but it should work now. I'll dress up and pretend I'm you, Sappho. Like those people in Arkarna. They'll think I'm you, and maybe they'll let me see her."

"Why don't I just go down there?"

Part 7 - Conclusion