Janice looked up at Melinda, "That's it?"

Leaning back in her chair, hands rubbing the back of her neck, Mel nodded, "Yes, that's all in this scroll, I guess there must be more clues in the second scroll that Amoud has."

Before she could say anything else, a knock came to their door, standing Janice walked to the door gun in pocket, "Your tea's here."

As Janice opened the door, Mel wondered aloud, "How are we going to get the second scroll from Amoud?"

Not hearing an answer, Mel turned around gasping as she saw a gun pressed to Janice's forehead, behind the man holding the gun, was Ali Bey Amoud, "The real question is Miss. Pappas," he said, "Is where is my scroll?"

Chapter Nine

Mel walked down the stairs with Janice close behind, everything would have looked normal. Except for the man that proceeded them down the steps, and directly behind them his boss Ali Bey Amoud.

Amoud had been seething ever since he realized that she had read the scroll to Janice, and not written anything in her notebook. Melinda watched helplessly as he took the scroll, and then slapped Janice across the face, saying that she was responsible for the death of one of his men.

Janice took the blow without a wince, only to spit blood at Amoud, saying if he couldn't take it, to leave them alone. Mel knew that the blond had to have some south in her, odds are against them, but she was still defiant.

Now Ali was planning on taking them back to his home, this time watching Mel work on the scroll, with Janice as insurance to make sure there would be no more fires, Amoud said.

As they reached the bottom of the stairs, the man in front waved toward another door, then continued ahead. As the group came into the kitchen, Mel saw that two cooks and Kehlia were being held at gun point by another of Amoud's men.

Taking a quick look at the room, Melinda saw that it was smaller than she thought it would be. She guessed that the seven-foot stack of cages containing pigeons did take up a lot of room.

Looking at the wooden cages, she decided right there, she could never eat another pigeon again. The mess and smell was nauseating. Covering her mouth, Mel's body became racked with convulsions, turning away from the cages she coughed and stumbled.

Janice saw the glance Melinda tossed in her direction, then moved aside as the woman staggered by her. She didn't know what the woman had planned, but anything was better than going with Amoud.

The guard behind Janice chuckled at the American female being sick at the sight of pigeons that were destined for the oven. She stumbled into him, but he quickly pushed her off, at first he thought to help her as she fell next to the cages, then he was too busy, as she pulled the pigeon coops on top of him and his boss.

Using the distraction of the falling cages, Janice threw a punch at the guard in front of her, managing to knock him back. But froze when he aimed his gun at her face, only to fall forward after Kehlia hit him in the head with a frying pan.

Crying out a thank you to Kehlia, Janice quickly ran to the guard grabbing her .44 revolver out of the man's hand.

Melinda was pushing more pigeon cages over when Janice grabbed and pulled her through the door into the back alley. Turning toward the following footsteps, Kehlia ran out the door and slammed it behind her, "Where go now?"

The alley was empty save for trash and an idling roadster, running to the drivers side, Janice waved to the others, "What are you waiting for, get in!"

Melinda ran to the passenger side, noticing what looked like three bullet holes in the door. Holding the door open as Kehlia jumped in the back, the southerner climbed in slamming the door as Janice put the transmission in gear and drove off.

Looking behind her, Mel couldn't see anyone coming out of the door after them yet. Just as she turned back in her seat, she let out a scream as Janice swerved to avoid a taxi.

Gripping her armrest, Mel looked at the woman driving, and wished she hadn't. Janice had that wild look, just like the night of the brawl, "Huh, I hate to ask, but just where are we going Janice?"

Looking in the rearview mirror, the young woman shifted the transmission, and stepped on the gas, "Amoud's place." Laughing at the expression of astonishment on Mel's face, Janice licked her dry lips as she avoided a camel, "Listen, Ali would never expect us to go there, I figure we'll have fifteen to twenty minutes to look for the scroll."

Opening her mouth in a silent scream, Mel cringed in her seat, as the car rounded a corner on two wheels, "What if there's a guard?"

"I don't think there will be, there were three men with Ali last night, two are back at the club with their boss, and the third was killed either last night or today" pausing to honk at a slow-moving car, Janice gunned the motor passing it on the right.

**You all right Kehlia?**

**Yes, I'm sorry, they were waiting in the kitchen when I came down, I couldn't warn you.** The dancer replied, unseen by Janice, she adjusted a small pistol in her waistband, **Where are we going?**

Explaining her idea to the amazed woman, Janice looked over at Melinda giving her a crooked smile, "By the way Mel, nice job with the birds."

Feeling proud that she did good, Melinda's fingers were turning white with their death grip on the door handle, hoping that she would survive Janice's driving to savor their escape.

******************************

Back in the club's kitchen, Amoud and his men were still trying to get from under the pigeon cages. Escaped birds were flying around the room, as the two screaming cooks tried to catch them before they escaped.

Filling the doorway, a figure laughed with a rich high pitched tone, "Amoud, I can't believe how those two can make you look so much like a fool."

Covered in feathers and pigeon droppings, the man finally crawled out from his trap looking at the woman before him. How much he hated her, if he could, he would kill her, but many tried and all of them failed.

Smiling the woman looked at Amoud shaking her head, "No, that's not good, I've seen that look many times from others Ali. You can try, but I promise you, fail, and you will have a long and painful death; do we understand each other?"

Standing in front of the Nazi agent, he nodded his understanding, he knew that many had tried to kill her. She had been in charge of the city's German agents since the war started, and many wanted her power and control.

What set her apart from the rest of the Germans, the woman it just seemed, liked to kill. "I'll have my people look for her, they won't leave the city without the scroll."

Walking toward the exit, past the cooks and birds, the woman stopped and smiled, "Don't bother, I'm sure that by morning, my spy will let me know where they are, then I'll decide what to do. It seems that they're too much for you to handle."

Amoud, watched the woman leave then helped his men to their feet, yes he was thinking, while you handle them, by sunset tomorrow, I'll be free of you, and the city will be mine.

***********************

"BRACE YOURSELF!" Janice screamed, as the car rammed the gates in front of Amoud home, knocking one off its hinges, scraping the car as it drove past. Hitting the brakes, the car skidded to a halt, with Janice throwing open her door and jumping out.

Racing for the front entrance, she glanced behind her, stopping and wondering why Mel and Kehlia were still in the car, "Come on you two, we don't have much time!."

Melinda was trying to breathe, her hand was clutching the armrest so tight, that it hurt. Turning to look at the dancer, Mel saw that her eyes were wide open, and like her, seemed to be having trouble breathing.

Her concern for Kehlia was diverted when two shots rang out, spinning her head, she saw Janice with her gun in hand kicking open the front door, and running in the house.

Janice, looked back out the door and saw that Mel was starting to move, not having time to ask what was wrong, she scanned the living room for anything that looked like the scroll. She knew it had to be here, Amoud was bringing them here to look at the scroll, so it HAD to be here.

Several minutes passed and the woman was starting to get worried, the house was bigger than she thought, and maybe Amoud would start back for home earlier than she expected. She had told Mel and Kehlia they would have about fifteen to twenty minutes, but now she was guessing it would be more like ten minutes.

Kicking open another door, she found herself in a huge bedroom, the bed was king sized, covered with silk sheets, and Louis the XIV furniture throughout the room. Being a Nazi collaborator seemed to had left Ali well off, she thought.

Then on a table across the room, Janice sighted it, after seeing the other scrolls before Jack took off with them, there was no doubt in her mind this was the second Aegis scroll.

Melinda was out of the car, but her legs wouldn't carry her far, hearing a moan coming from the backseat, she smiled. At least I'm not the only one to be affected by Janice's driving, she thought, Oh Lord, I'm never getting in a car with her at the wheel again.

Running out the door, Janice waved the hand containing the scroll, "I got it! Lets get going." Heading for the drivers side door, the woman came to an abrupt halt, looking at the unmoving Melinda, waving her hands, Janice shouted, "LET'S GO."

"Janice Covington!" Mel replied in a nice calm voice, "if you think I'm getting in that car with you driving, you must be insane."

Shaking her head in exasperation, the blond woman looked at her dark haired companion trying to figure out what was wrong with her driving. "Mel, we don't have time to argue, we have two maybe three minutes before Ali Amoud gets back, and I don't think he'll be happy with what we did to his home."

Crawling over the passenger seat, Melinda didn't care how unladylike it looked as she settled behind the wheel, Janice was not going to drive.

Her protest stopped upon seeing the look on Mel's face, Janice ran back around the car climbing in the passenger side, throwing a smile to a sickly looking Kehlia, "Out the gate and turn right, you can drive, right?"

Starting the car, Melinda drove out the gate following Janice's directions, "Janice, we do have cars in Charleston." Mel replied, turning left as soon as they went a block, so they would be out of sight of Amoud's home sooner.

Between, Janice's instructions on which way to go, and Mel's ignoring her pleas for more speed, they arrived after a while in front of a large house, one of the few Mel had seen that had a garage.

Jumping out the door, Janice ran to open the garage door, signaling for Mel to move the car forward. Soon as the car was inside, Janice shut the door, walking over to the door connected to the house, feeling with her fingers under a nearby workbench, smiling as she pulled out a key.

Turning the key in the lock, Janice lead the group inside closing and locking the door behind them. Melinda looked over the kitchen, then walked over checking the empty icebox, "Where are we Janice?"

Pulling down the shades, she glanced at the woman, "This belonged to, or should I say still belongs to my uncle's wife wherever she is. But mostly it's just a second house that he used to rent out as a clinic before the war."

Moving along with Kehlia to look through the cupboards, Mel shook her head and talked to Janice over her shoulder, "Well, if we're going to spend anytime here, we'll need food."

Tilting her head, Kehlia nodded to Melinda then pointed to the door, "Food, yes . . . I go get food, yes?"

"No," Janice said as she felt through her pockets for any shells, then checked her gun. Four rounds left, her mind wondered how to get more shells, but didn't want anyone to leave until it was dark.

"I'll go and get some later after it's dark, we really don't know who Amoud has looking for us." Waving a hand toward a door as she told Kehlia about staying put.

"I've been here a couple times in the past, let me give you a tour," Janice continued, after ushering them farther into the building.

The tour didn't last long, since besides the main entrance, the bottom floor was made up of three examination rooms. The second floor, had two offices and three bedrooms.

Mel followed Janice into one of the bedrooms and sat on the mattress, "I don't know about you, but I'm taking a nap, just leave the scroll on the table and I'll work on it when I get up."

Kicking off her heels, Melinda groaned while rubbing her feet, "Of course having something to eat later would be nice."

Looking over the scroll, Janice nodded not really listening, she wished that she could translate it, but she could only get every other word. And that meant Mel would have to read it, making sure Janice got it right.

Turning around, Janice looked for Kehlia, as Melinda stretched out on the bed. "Have a nice nap sweetheart," she said leaving the room.

Closing the door behind her, Janice thought she could hear talking. Following the source of the sound, she opened the door to one of the office's just as Kehlia hung up the telephone, **Who were you talking too?**

Walking over to Janice with a grin, the dancer leaned over looking up and down the hallway, **Melinda?**

**She's pretty well out on her feet, so she's taking a nap, who were you talking to?**

Taking Janice by the hand, Kehlia lead her to one of the other bedrooms, shutting and locking the door behind them, **I called your uncle, I just told him that I would not be dancing tonight, that's all.**

Allowing the woman to guide her toward the bed, she looked over her shoulder, thinking briefly about the phone call, only to become distracted as Kehlia started to unbuckle her pants.

Raising an eyebrow, the archaeologist tried to keep from smiling as the dancer pushed down her trousers, and ran her hands around her boxer's waistband, **What are you doing?**

Pulling the boxers down to Janice knees, the dancer lowered her head kissing a muscular thigh. Pausing momentarily, Kehlia looked up at Janice, while her hands roamed upwards, **What am I doing! And I thought you were supposed to be smart.**

Laughing, the young woman fell onto the bed, joining her lover.

Chapter Ten

Janice opened her eyes as someone knocked on the door, Kehlia was in her arms, head resting on her breasts. The knocking became louder followed by a muffled voice calling out her name.

Muttering a curse, she looked at the naked woman in her arms, then back at the door calling out, "I'm awake Mel, thanks!"

Melinda looked at the door letting out an exasperated sigh, she hated shouting, and talking to doors, "Janice, it's almost dark, I'll start on the scroll. But can you go and get us something to eat, I'm starving."

Yelling as she swung her feet to the floor with apologies to Kehlia, the archaeologist leaned over grabbing her boxers, "OK Mel, give me about fifteen minutes, and I'll get us something."

Hearing something that sounded like an ok, she started to blink rapidly to clear her eyes. Her senses became more alert as Kehlia hugged her from behind, pressing her breasts into her back, "Where you go?"

Grinning, Janice tried to stand only to have the dancer tighten her grip, repeating her question. **Kehlia, I have to go and get us all something to eat, please let me go.** the last part, she didn't really mean, it felt so good to have the woman's arms around her.

The dancer didn't seem to care herself, as her hands started to caress Janice stomach, while kissing the back of her neck, **Stay until dark, please?**

Feeling the hesitation in Janice, the dancer started tracing her tongue down the woman's spine, feeling delight in the shutters emulating from the body in front of her.

Looking over her shoulder at the faint light coming though the shaded window, Janice guessed than there was about another half-hour until it would be dark. Then suddenly let out a gasp, as the woman behind her, laid on the bed running her tongue over her lower back.

Feeling herself being guided back on the bed by the dancer, Janice thought that it wouldn't hurt to wait until it was darker.

Melinda leaned back in her chair looking out the door, she hadn't heard Janice come out of her room yet. She had gone through the offices looking for paper and pen, thankfully she found them.

The building didn't have any food, but it sure did have a lot of medical supplies. She briefly wondered with a war going on, why the supplies were here, and why the clinic was not open.

Dismissing that from her mind, she hoped that Janice was getting something to eat, and turned to the scroll.

*********************

Gabrielle stopped to look around once again, positive she heard something this time. Xena paused smiling, at least the bard was trying, and she seemed to have recovered from her earlier breakdown.

Waiting for Gabrielle to finish her survey of the woods, the warrior knew they had been lucky so far. Argo was boarded and safe, they paid the man extra to have someone walk the warhorse to another village.

So Callisto would either come after them, or waste time chasing after a warhorse to take revenge on. The trip through the graveyard had saved them from the winding roads.

They saved so much time that she didn't even mind that Gabrielle insisted they pay their respects to Achilles' tomb. The bard knelt in front of the tomb entrance asking forgiveness from one of the Greek's greatest warriors.

Gabrielle adjusted the straps holding the shield to the back of her shoulders, Xena's had a destain for using shields, and she sure didn't know how to use one. Since Argo was being lead to safety, someone had to carry it, and Xena finally listened to her, saying that she needed to be unencumbered for when Callisto caught up with them.

Besides she reasoned, what better protection for her, than having strapped to her back a shield that even Zeus could not penetrate with a lightning bolt.

They were fast leaving the graveyard behind them, Gabrielle mentioned that maybe the shortcut would help throw Callisto off their trail by getting off the road. Xena said not to even think about it, they were leaving a trail that the mad woman would have no trouble following, to really make it difficult, the pace would have to be so slow, they would not have even stabled Argo yet.

Keeping the staff across her body, Gabrielle glanced at the woman beside her, "Xena, thanks again for this morning . . . I guess where Callisto is involved, I kind of lose my train of thought."

Thinking about the cost of hiring a boat, the warrior simply nodded, "That's all right Gabrielle, I know Callisto, she wants the shield, and if she can hurt you in the process, so much the better."

Not hearing an answer, the warrior looked at the bard, seeing that she seemed to be holding something back, "What?" Chuckling, Xena looked around, she hated waiting, "I know that expression Gabrielle, what are you holding back?"

Her face serious, she turned to her companion and lover shaking her head, "But you really don't know Callisto . . . I do."

Seeing the skeptical look, the bard continued knowing she was right, "Xena, you know Callisto, because you two were alike as Warlords, and you fought her." Pausing to consider how to put her thoughts in words, the pair walked in silence.

"Xena," Gabrielle said after a few more steps, "You know her anger, I know the woman. I talked with her those times she held me captive, and when she possessed your body."

The warrior smiled as her hearing picked up the bard muttered a thanks to the gods that she and Xena were not lovers then. "Go on Gabrielle, I'm listening."

"Those talks we had, I'm sorry to say let Callisto know how to get to me." Arching her back, the bard adjusted one of the straps holding the shield. "But I got to know her, you know right now, she really don't want the shield?"

Coming to a halt, the warrior looked at the bard shaking her head, "Gabrielle, I think you really need to explain that one to me."

Not taking offense at the tone, the bard waved her hand grinning, "Let's keep going, Callisto said it herself, she has all the time in the world. She'll stop us from taking the shield over the water, but she would rather we try to hide it, that way she would have all the time in the world to play with us."

"In fact," the bard continued, "I bet she would love to have you and maybe me also be immortal, that way she would have us to battle with until the end of time."

Gabrielle watched the warrior's face, pleased that she really seemed to be reflecting on her observations about the bane of their lives. It was annoying to the bard, that sometimes once Xena got an idea in her head about someone, she didn't want to let it go.

Xena, was thinking about it, and the idea of fighting Callisto through eternity was not all that appealing, more so without a certain bard beside her.

The pair continued, with Gabrielle launching into the story of Achilles' battle with Hector, when Xena held up her hand, head tilted to the side listening.

Drawing her sword, the warrior looked to their right, she could hear something moving, almost stomping the ground, then it stopped again.

Gabrielle held still, trying to control her breathing so not to make any more noise. Her eyes on the warrior concentrating on the woods.

Taking a few steps, Xena shook her head when Gabrielle started to follow, giving her the 'look' when the bard indicated that she should go with her.

Taking a few quick steps, the warrior froze, the sound started again, but stopped almost immediately, as if it was trying to be quiet.

Watching the warrior give her one last look of assurance, Gabrielle turned, slowly searching the forest around her, as Xena vanished into the woods.

Xena advanced, taking three . . . four quick steps, then halting to listen. It was coming from just a head, a rustling of leafs, then silent, moving a few more steps, she parted a branch blocking her view.

In a small clearing, a deer with a rope around its neck was trying to free itself, eyes widening in shock, the warrior spun around racing back the way she came, shouting the bard's name.

Breaking though the last of the thickets, Xena saw Gabrielle laying on the ground. Rushing to her side and taking the limp body in her arms, she inspected the bruise already forming on the bard's temple, but otherwise could not find any other injuries.

"That was too easy Xena, want to do it again?" a voice that she knew as Callisto's echoed though the woods.

Picking up the cut leather straps that had once held the shield, the warrior glanced around, trying to pinpoint the woman's location, "Sure Callisto, just return the shield, and we'll play some more, you got here faster than I would have thought possible, how did you get out of the well?"

Echoing laugher came at her from all sides, as the woman yelled, "A nice man came along and helped the poor woman that fell into the well, I did thank him."

Smiling to hear a moan coming from the bard's lips, Xena looked up shouting, "I'm sure you did, threw him into the well, right?"

The returning laugher answered her question, as Gabrielle opened her dazed eyes looking at the warrior. Putting a finger to the bard's lips, to keep her quiet, she shouted back to the woods, "How did you get in front of us so fast?"

"It's really amazing how far and fast you can run when you don't get tired. And since I don't have to stop to eat or drink . . . you would love it Xena, bet I could help you become immortal also."

Breathing a sigh of relief when Gabrielle sat on her own, she avoiding the bard's 'I told you not to leave me behind' gaze. "No thanks Callisto, fighting you for all eternity does not appeal to me."

"Then I'll see you later Xena, I just have to hold onto the Aegis for one day, and then I'll allow you to worship me. If you don't, I'm sure I could find some new way to play with your little friend."

Standing, Xena looked around, still not able to pinpoint her location, shouting again, "Callisto, Callisto!"

Muttering a curse, Xena helped the bard to her feet, examining the bruise, "I'm sorry Gabrielle," she started to say. Only this time the bard put a finger to the warrior's lips.

"Don't apologize, just get better," Gabrielle replied, holding back a smile, as the warrior raised her eyebrows. Blowing out a breath, the bard looked around the woods, then back to the warrior, "I guess now, we do the chasing?"

Bending to retrieve the Amazon's staff, Xena handed it back to the bard with a sigh, "Do we have a choice?"

**************************

Melinda looked up as her stomach growled at her once again, leaning back in the chair she called out again, "JANICE!"

Yelling back that she was up, Janice Covington finished tucking her shirt back into her pants. Kehlia was still in bed pouting, she had insisted that Janice stay just a little longer, despite her saying that they needed food.

The woman gave up trying to kiss the dancer, she didn't like feeling guilty, and Kehlia was doing a good job making her feel that way.

Unlocking the door, she opened it heading into the dark hallway, looking back into the room, she saw the dancer was starting to dress.

"It's about time Janice," Melinda called out from her room, "Keep sleeping like that, and you won't get any tonight."

Smiling, Janice shook her head, looking back into the room at the pouting Kehlia, "I think you're right on that point Mel." Touching the gun in her shoulder hostler, the woman turned for the stairs.

She just reached the top, when looking down she saw one of Amoud's guards from the club looking back up at her.

Janice and the guard stood rooted in place staring at each other, then both reached for their guns.

Chapter Eleven

Melinda nearly fell off her chair as the sound of two shots exploded through the bedroom door. Stunned, she looked at the door, then bolted into the darkened hallway, hitting the light switch outside the bedroom door.

"TURN OFF THAT DAMN LIGHT!" Janice bellowed, as the hallway's overhead light swept away the darkness.

Hitting the switch again, Mel berated herself for not thinking, but had seen enough. Janice was sitting on the floor by the top of the stairs, back pressed against the wall.

Janice didn't look hurt, but Mel saw the flickers of pain crossing the woman's face. Dropping to the floor she crawled over to Janice just as Kehlia was coming out of her room, saying something to Mel in Arabic.

Making it over to Janice, Melinda could hear voices from the bottom of the stairs, but her main concern was the woman next to her. "Janice are you ok?"

"NO, I'M NOT," the blond shouted, then closing her eyes, she tired to relax. Her eyes opened, as she heard a creak from the stairway, using the wall for cover, she leaned over firing down the steps.

Smiling at the retreating sounds of footsteps, she turned to Melinda, "Listen, I'm sorry for yelling, I'm hit in my left side, not sure how bad, but it hurts like hell."

Melinda could not believe this woman, here she had been shot and yet she was apologizing for yelling at her. "I guess Amoud's men found us already."

Nodding, Janice took a quick look down the darkened stairs but could not see anything. But she did hear voices whispering to each other. "Yes, it's his men all right, but I sure as hell don't know how they found us so quick."

Noticing Kehlia's presence's behind Mel, Janice thought about the phone call, and didn't like what she was thinking. "We really got problems Mel, there's three men, though I think I got one. But I only got two rounds left."

Spinning around the corner, Janice shot off another round when a dark shape moved for the steps, "Make that one round, damn, I would love to have a grenade right now."

Melinda sat back listening to Janice mumbling about being in the middle of a war zone, and not having anything to fight with. Then she thought about Janice needing a grenade and looked up at the hallway light.

Quickly she told Kehlia to get a chair, hoping the woman understood what a chair was in English. "Janice, I need a few minutes, and I'll have your grenade, can you hold them off that long?"

Seeing the returning nod, Mel turned as the dancer came back with a chair. Setting it under the light, she climbed up, unscrewing the globe protecting the bulb. Handing the globe to Kehlia, she then unscrewed the light.

Motioning the dancer to follow her into one of the offices, as a confused Janice watched. Mel carefully set the light bulb down, and started opening the drawers.

Where were they she was thinking, she saw them in her search for paper. Crying out, as she pulled open a drawer finding it stocked with syringes.

Taking a syringe, she then grabbed a bottle of alcohol, placing it next to the bulb. Tearing the needle package open, she threw a smile at the curious dancer, and opened the bottle.

Filling the needle with alcohol, she picked up the light bulb, and carefully pushed the tip of the syringe into the base. Feeling the needle go in, she slowly filled the bulb with no more than a tablespoon full of fluid.

Handing the bulb to Kehlia, she made sure with motions that the dancer was not to tilt it. Then as she heard Janice yelling for her to hurry up. She ran over to the desk in the room, jerking open the middle drawer and grabbing the box of thumbtacks she saw earlier.

Janice risked a quick glance down the steps, only to end up ducking back as a bullet slammed into the wall above her head. They were getting ready to rush her she thought, as a spasm of pain tore through her side.

Just as she was about to yell for Mel, to hurry it up again, she came out of the office with Kehlia close behind. Watching her stand on the chair, screwing in the light bulb, then carefully taking the globe from Kehlia, she put it back on the fixture, "What the heck are you doing?" Janice asked.

Kneeling next to her friend, Mel quickly explained her idea to an impressed Janice. Nodding, the blond watched as Mel grabbed the dancer, and pulled her into the bedroom.

Looking at her gun, she rotated the cylinder back two rounds, and took a deep breath. Pivoting around the edge of the wall, she pointed the gun down the steps and pulled the trigger.

Amoud's men heard Janice's gun click twice, then movement, glancing at each other, one sprinted up the step, praying that her gun was really empty.

Janice, just ducked into the bedroom where Mel and Kehlia were waiting just as the man dashing up the stairs turned the corner. Listening for footsteps, she wasn't paying any attention to her companions, until Mel tugged on her shoulder.

Glancing over, Melinda thrust a curtain rod into Janice's hand and pointed to the light switch. Nodding her understanding with a smile, Janice didn't care for the original idea of herself being in the hall when she threw the switch.

Tilting her head downwards, Janice raised her hand when she heard one of her companions move. She could hear someone at the top of the stairs, getting one would be nice she thought, getting both would be better.

Keeping his gaze down the darkened hallway, the guard that first sprinted up the steps, motioned for the man still at the bottom of the steps to follow. Cautiously the pair advanced down the hall, pausing as they took turns kicking in the office door's, only to find them empty.

Listening to the sounds of the approaching men, Janice raised the curtain rod toward the light switch, hoping that it was too dark for it to be seen. Judging by the noise, she guessed it was now or never; turning her face away from the hall, she pushed up with the rod.

The light bulb with just a tablespoon of alcohol, would have just gave off a loud bang, with a little flame when the electricity hit it. Unfortunately for the men below the light, Melinda had filled the globe attachment with over a quart of alcohol, along with dumping a box of thumbtacks into the glass globe, so the bulb was just the ignition for a bigger bang.

Mel covered her ears and closed her eyes tight, as the hallway exploded with flames and screaming men. She didn't even feel Janice jumping up and running into the hall, until she heard her name being called.

Looking at the wide-eyed Kehlia, she got to her feet, slowly peeking out into the hall. Janice was squatting beside one of the men, holding two guns in her hands, "Careful Sweetheart, there's glass and tacks everywhere."

Holding her hand to her mouth, Melinda surveyed the damage she did, both men were flat on the floor, covered in blood. One was repeating something in Arabic in between moans, when she asked Janice what he was saying, she just shook her head, saying it was nothing.

The blond woman waved her hand holding the gun, "Come on, let's get out of here before anyone else shows up." Melinda saw her move toward the stairway hunched over slightly, saying that she'll be right there, she ran into the office where she made the bomb, grabbing bandages and what was left of the alcohol.

Picking her way carefully through the mess in the hallway, Mel prayed that the men would be all right. She tried to check one, but he attempted to grab her, so she prayed; at the bottom of the steps she found that Janice had indeed 'got one' as she put it.

The neat hole in the man's forehead told Melinda more than she wanted to know, she fought the light headiness, that tried to take her over. Her face felt wet, as her ears started to ring, but she managed to turn her mind to how Janice may be feeling, closing her eyes, she stepped over the body heading for the kitchen.

Janice was leaning against the counter when Mel came in the room with Kehlia right behind. Her face was slightly pale, Melinda was not sure whether it was from the man she killed, or her own wound.

Pushing open the door leading into the garage, Janice moved toward the garage door, calling for Mel to drive. When Melinda heard Janice telling her to drive, she knew that the woman was hurting more than she let on.

After Mel started the car, Janice nodded, and pushed open the door, kneeling down on the driveway searching for anyone keeping watch outside. Waving for Mel to start backing up, she jumped in the passenger seat just telling her to drive.

Surprisingly to them, it looked like the three men in the clinic were all that Amoud sent after them. "You know Mel, I'm surprised that Amoud's still in business," Janice was saying.

Looking over at the woman, Mel noticed her face looked white, "Why do you say that?"

Laughing, Janice dropped one of the guns in her lap, "Because, I took you back away from him in his own house, beat the car that was following us when we went into the city, escaped when he had us at the club."

Pausing to catch her breath, the woman smiled as Kehlia laid a hand on her shoulder, a look of concern on her face. "Where was I . . . Yea . . . and the SOB still only sends a couple guys after us."

Chuckling, Melinda kept driving, "Huh, Janice, where are we going?" Not hearing an answer, Mel repeated her question. Suddenly Kehlia started to speak rapidly in Arabic, looking over at her, she followed the dancers gaze to Janice's slumped over form.

"JANICE . . . JANICE!"

Chapter Twelve

Janice moaned, she had been dreaming of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox, though for the life of her, she didn't know why. Opening her eyes, she saw Melinda leaning over, "Good Morning sleepy head," her friend said with a smile.

She knew she was in a bed, but where she was not sure, sitting up despite Mel's protest, she realized they were back at the club. "Mel, what are we doing here?" she exclaimed, momentarily panic setting in, as she wondered how long she'd been out.

Pushing her friend back down, Mel spoke in soothing tones, "Now hush, your uncle has Jamie on guard downstairs." Getting Janice back down she continued before Janice started talking again.

"I didn't know where else to go, and I couldn't ask Kehlia, so I drove back here, the car is parked in the alley." Seeing Janice relax, Melinda nodded, holding the woman's hand. "Your uncle carried you up here, then I used some supplies I took from the clinic to bandage you up."

Touching her side, the blond could feel the wrapping, it burned like blazes, "How bad?"

Mel's face turning serious, she turned away, then turned back looking at her friend, "If . . . if it had been just an inch to the left . . ."

Blinking, Janice looked at Mel, she had not realized . . .

"An inch more and it would have missed you altogether," Melinda finished with a grin.

Opening her mouth, Janice couldn't believe Mel did that to her, "That's it! You mean I passed out from a nick?"

Chuckling, Melinda nodded, "Well, it wasn't a nick, it went in and out, tearing up skin and muscle, so your body reacted like it should have." She went on to tell Janice that she slept through the night, while she worked on the rest of the scroll and finally ate.

Moving up in bed, she looked under the blankets to check the bandage, "MEL! WHAT THE HELL AM I WEARING," she yelled full of outrage.

Rolling her eyes, Melinda stood heading for the desk, "It's called a nightgown Janice, you know, something a LADY wears to bed."

Throwing back the blankets she spun around placing her feet on the floor, a sharp pain lancing her side brought out a hiss, "I'm not a lady Mel, where's my clothes?"

Wanting to argue at first, then knowing it would be a losing battle with the stubborn woman, she walked over opening the dresser, "The one's you were wearing are too bloody, not that it matters, since everything you wear is the same."

As Janice dressed, she looked over at her friend watching her, "Two questions, first one is where's Kehlia?"

"Downstairs, your uncle said she was going to make some Markok . . . whatever that is, for when you woke up."

Nodding, Janice, wanted to get downstairs as soon as she could to keep an eye on the dancer, Amoud's men showing up and the phone call was bothering her. It also hurt to think about her suspicions, "Markok is a lamb and pumpkin stew. Ok, question number two, you say you stayed with me all night, right?"

Seeing Mel's nod, Janice thought she knew the answer to her next question, "Did you by any chance while I was sleeping, tell me stories about Uncle Remus, and Brer Rabbit?"

Faking innocence, Melinda shrugged, picking up her notes and heading for the door, "I'll read what I translated while you eat."

Smiling, Janice walked over next to Mel, pausing next to her, "Thank you."

Feeling warm from the simple thanks, Melinda helped her friend down the steps, even though Janice said she didn't need help. After they got downstairs, Kehlia came out of the kitchen running over to hug the woman.

While the two spoke in Arabic, Mel kept her moving until she was sitting at what was becoming their table on the balcony. She looked around seeing that Jamie was behind the bar, a gun in front of him.

"Ok Mel," Janice said after she sat down, and Kehlia went to get her stew, "Did Callisto get away with the Aegis, or did Xena and Gabrielle get it back?"

Looking at her notes, Melinda shook her head, concentrating on the pages, "It's odd, there's something here that's bothering me . . . but, here's what it says."

***********************

Continued - Part 5