Running up the steps, Janice felt on top of the world as she turned for her room. Something that at first she never thought possible was happening, Mel was attracted to her! Throwing off her clothes as she entered her room, she wondered what the night would bring, the thought was keeping her feet planted on the ground, what IF they ended up in bed?

What if she didn't satisfy Melinda? What if she was too nervous, what if Mel was too nervous? What if she does something that Mel finds offensive?

Walking naked into Melinda's room heading for the bathroom, Janice sighed, now that they were past the first hurdle she found herself facing another one even more scary her mind thought as she stepped under the shower.

*********************

After they had finished dinner, Janice now wearing a pair of loose slacks and a brown wool shirt with the sleeves rolled up, as she did the dishes and watched Mel move around the kitchen.

"Janice," Melinda said as she shut the door to the icebox, "If you keep watching me, you'll never finish washing dishes."

Rinsing off a pot, the small woman shrugged her shoulders, "But you look so good in that summer dress, blue is really your color, but if you want me to hurry, why don't you help me?"

"Huh . . . no, remember I cook you clean," Mel said teasingly. "I'm going to turn on the radio and find the news." Heading for the dining room door, the tall southerner halted her face flushed a light shade of pink, "And when you're done you can join me, I . . . I'll be sitting in the love seat in the tower room."

Janice gawked at Mel as she left the room, then hurriedly started to wash the dishes. She was hating the hand pump, Melinda may think it's cute, but heating water to wash dishes, then working the pump handle for rinsing was too much work. Of course Janice thought, she could cook herself, but after cooking liver and onions for breakfast that one morning, Mel fired her from that task.

Setting the last of the pots in the drying rack, Janice started to wipe down the counters and stove. She didn't know what Mel's problem was with liver and onions for breakfast, it's food and filling. Hearing a creaking sound, she turned her head to locate the source of the noise and seeing the basement door swing open. Blowing hair out of her eyes, she turned back to the stove thinking they were going to nail that door shut to keep it from opening all the time.

She finished cleaning the stove and threw the washcloth in the sink when she was grabbed from behind; soon as she started to struggle a sweet smelling rag was placed over her nose and mouth. Inhaling the syrupy aroma the woman immediately started to feel tired, her struggles with the arm wrapped around her body lessening until her eyelids fluttered and her body fell limp.

Holding onto Janice's motionless body, Major Rauter glanced toward the dinning room door; he had been quiet, but there was always a chance of being found. Not hearing any sounds, he trudged back for the basement dragging Janice's body with him until he was able to close the basement door with a soft almost inaudible click.

Chapter Twelve

Mel looked toward the dinning room door for the fifth time wondering what was taking Janice so long. She had the radio tuned onto a station playing Glen Miller live from the West Coast, only one light was on in the living room, and the view of the ocean out the tower windows was spectacular.

She had to admit she felt a bit embarrassed at the setup, but she longed for those kisses of Janice's that made her feel so warm, so light-headed, so much in love. So now Melinda her mind was telling her, it looks like you're one of 'those' women, so how does it feel?

Sitting back in the love seat, Melinda realized for the first time just how it felt. She was in love with a woman that was all, she loved her father, she still believed in her faith, she loved the south, and she was as normal as the day she first met Janice, only now she knew that she loved her.

Smiling, she realized what a ninny she had been, all those questions she asked Janice about her loving women. All those times after she first discovered Janice's sexually sneaking peeks at her trying to see what was different about the woman, as if she was some type of freak.

Glancing over her shoulder once again at the dinning room door, she guessed she could give Janice a hand cleaning up. Getting out of the love chair, Mel strolled toward the kitchen, besides she reasoned, the sooner Janice was done cleaning, the sooner she'd feel warm.

Entering the kitchen, Melinda was stunned by two things, one was finding it empty, the second was how cool it was. Checking to make sure the icebox was closed, she looked around the room once more, where was Janice she wondered when the basement door started to creak open.

"Janice?" she called out softy making her way to the door, then the lighting went off plunging the room into darkness. "JANICE!" Melinda cried out as it became pitch black, unable to even see a hand in front of her face. "Janice, is that you?" Melinda called out when icy fingers pulling her back toward the living room suddenly grasped her hand.

Startled, Mel allowed herself to be towed along, her first concern was about Janice's cold hand, "Janice," she called out, yet her voice sounded strangely muffled, as if the room air was closed tight around her. "Janice, what's wrong?" she called once again as she momentarily stumbled, then staggered onward with the fingers incessantly tugging upon her hand.

Melinda was past being confused, the number of turns and climbing of stairs, combined with the surrounding blackness, she was lost. Then the icy fingers let go of her hand, and as quickly as the darkness had surrounded her, it slowly started to fade away, until moonlit shadows stole through the window in a room that Melinda had never seen before.

Glancing around the dim lit chamber, Melinda couldn't help but notice that dust was everywhere, even on the floor like a thick carpet that deadened her footsteps. The place was small, if she stretched out her arms she would be able to touch both walls, yet she didn't see a door leading out of the room.

But first things first Mel, her mind started to say to her now that her initial panic was subsiding. You got in here, so you can get out, Melinda continued to tell herself, but who brought you in here, and where's Janice?

As her eyes adjusted to the dark, the southerner could make out a room that looked like some type of workroom, the shelves were filled with dusty bottles. Her confused mind lit upon a sea faring uncle who had told stories of sailing the China seas with her father on the porch; how the uncle had collected various mixtures throughout his travels and brought them home to experiment with.

"A home laboratory," she whispered under her breath, amazed at the find, grinning thinking that Janice must have found it, and was playing some sort of game with her. Glancing around the small room, Mel jumped when a loud bang that her mind identified as the slamming of a door came from behind her.

Turning around, she stared at the wall in front of her listening to footsteps moving over creaking floorboards. At least she knows which side of the wall led to freedom now her mind told her. She wondered what Janice was up to as she prepared to call out, only to halt when she heard a man's voice starting to speak German?

Pressing her ear to the wall, Melinda could hear the low mutters of German, but not any answering voices. Several minutes passed until Mel once again heard the sounds of creaking floorboards and then the shutting of a door.

When she thought the source of the noise was gone, Melinda started to feel around the wall for a hidden switch like that in the kitchen when her ears picked up a new sound from behind her. Turning around, she felt a shiver run through her body as a small bottle inched its way across the shelf until it came to a sudden halt.

With eyes wide, Mel looked around looking for the reason that the bottle moved, "Janice," she said with a trembling voice, "Janice if you did that, it's not funny, in fact it's scary!" Hearing no response, Melinda reached out and grabbed the bottle and read the label that simply said, 'Tree Frog Poison'.

Keeping a tight grip on the bottle, the tall southerner thought about what she knew about the poison. Come on Mel she was thinking you just came from the Amazon, the Indian's use it to . . . to what, Mel wondered as she tried to remember. To . . . knockout . . . stun monkeys! That's it her mind told her, they coat arrows and shoot monkeys with it, the monkey looses conciseness and falls out of the tree.

"Great Mel," she said to herself while looking at the bottle, "Now I just need to find a monkey and shoot it with an arrow." Before she placed the bottle back on the shelve.

Turning back around, she felt once again around the wall until she touched a bump that felt like the hidden switch down in the kitchen. Pressing it, the wall in front of her clicked open in the shape of a doorway, pushing it further, she guessed that she was in the attic.

How did I get up here her mind asked while venturing into the pale lit attic? Moving closer to the attic window, she was granted a breath-taking view of the ocean. She could see for miles even without the aid of binoculars, reaching out to touched the glass plane her foot kicked a box on the floor.

Bending down she discovered that the box was a short-wave radio, well that takes care of who the voice was talking to she thought. But why a radio, and who was the man Mel wondered, thinking over the past months with Janice and their attraction for trouble, she knew it was not anything good.

Straightening back up, Mel hurried into the secret room grabbing the bottle of poison, before she turned and carefully as possible made her way down the stairs without betraying herself with creaking floorboards.

Opening the door at the bottom of the steps, Melinda found herself on the second floor, wondering what to do. There was someone in the house she didn't know, Janice was missing, and a bottle of poison had moved across a shelf by itself, great! She told herself gripping the bottle, first how can I protect myself she wondered, before her eyes lit-up.

Moving silently to the balcony, Mel looked downstairs making sure no one was down there before she started to make her way to the captain's study room.

***************************

"Not the head!" Janice complained groggily as a hand slapped her across the face.

"Then wake up," a harsh voice replied, holding back another slap, then smiled before delivering the slap across the woman's face with his hand. "Wake up, before I get angry."

Opening her eyes, Janice locked onto a man squatting before her, he looked tall even though he was kneeling in front of her. Thin but looks tough she thought while appraising him from the light of a lantern, "Who the hell are you?" she asked as she tried to move only to find her hands tied behind her around a wooden beam.

Smirking, the man slapped Janice again, feeling a sense of pleasure at her returning glare, "You're not in a position to ask me anything, but for now you will call me major."

"Listen Majo . ." her remark was cut off by another slap to her face, shaking her head to clear the last of her dizziness, Janice wanted to do nothing more than to rip the man's throat out.

"You will speak only when I say so," the man said before delivering another stinging slap, "now you will tell me the names of all the people you've talked to today?"

Janice looked at the man without saying a word; her eyes piercing the major's flesh, as she tasted the blood flowing down from her nose.

Looking at the silent woman, major Rauter slapped her once again, grinning as a trickle of blood ran down from her lip, "Just tell me who you talked to at the docks, and then everything will be all right."

"Go to hell," Janice replied before her head was snapped back by another hard slap to the face.

Grinning, Rauter ran a finger down Janice's jaw, caressing her neck as it wandered down to the collar of her shirt. His face showing delight at the woman's revulsion, "I know what you are, in Germany we know how to treat your kind, we have work camps for your type, and the women wear black triangles to show that they are degenerates."

Standing, Rauter looked down at Janice as he hooked his thumbs in his belt, "I can't take you back with me when I leave, but I will go and call my men, when they get here we'll show you how a degenerate like you can please a man."

Turning for the steps, the major stopped and once again looked at Janice over the light of the kerosene lantern, "And when we're done with you, we'll have fun with your friend."

Pulling at her bonds, Janice kicked out with her feet staring at Rauter, "Touch her and I swear I'll rip your heart out." She snarled, not noticing the drop in the room's temperature.

Watching the man walk up the stairs, Janice rubbed the ropes binding her hands against the beams praying that the major would try finding his entertainment with her first. But knowing whatever happened he'd end up dead even at the cost of her own life.

Minutes pasted as Janice worked the bonds waiting for the major to return; working the ropes up and down the beams she felt icy fingers clutching her hands.

Chapter Thirteen

Melinda turned at the bottom of the stairs heading into the parlor when she heard the dinning room door open, her first instincts was to call out Janice's name. But quickly changing her mind crouching down behind a chair in the parlor, because of the continuing darkness she couldn't see who it was, but the sounds of the footsteps didn't make her think it was Janice.

Hurrying into the captain's den, Mel grabbed the telephone, lifting up the earpeice, she proceeded to click down the cradle wishing the operator would hurry and answer. After several more clicks with no answer, the southerner hung up the phone, looking around the room at the engraved pieces of scrimshaw until she sighted the one she noticed the other day, picking it up, Melinda raced over to the desk and started to search through it.

Melinda knew that luck was with her after finding the fountain pens in the second drawer she checked. Breaking down the pens Mel was pleased to find that the ink sacks had been removed, being careful not to bend the brass tip, Melinda pulled them from the barrel of each of her three pens until she had the nibs on the desk in front of her.

Testing to tip of the nibs with her finger, the southerner nodded on satisfaction, with a little force behind them, the sharp points will break the skin. But looking at the long piece of Scrimshaw in her hand she needed something light to help plug up the hole in the whalebone and give her the pressure needed, but what she wondered, and where was Janice?

****************************

Major Rauter moved through Melinda's room with Janice's gun in his hand wondering where the woman was hiding. He almost had her in the kitchen then the power went off and she got away, the woman must know he was in the house, but where could she be?

He checked under the beds in both rooms, but there were more to check, and while he looked through those rooms she could sneak out the door and run for help. Damn his men for failing to drown the woman, he thought, but it did give him an idea, after they were done with the pair, they'd dress them in swimsuits and drown them in the ocean. People would think it a tragedy and he'd have the house all to himself once again to spy on the shipping lanes.

The U-boat captain last night had been foolish, he was supposed to have followed the ship like he had the others, away from the area then sink it. Now the police was investigating his signal light, the operation was now in jeopardy because of the U-boat not waiting to clear the area.

Coming back to his own slight problem, if he didn't find the other woman the mission would also be in jeopardy. Best thing to do was go downstairs and wait for the arrival of his men, then conduct a search of the house. And after they found her, well the tall woman would be his, the others could amuse themselves with the woman in the basement.

**********************

Janice was trying to control her breathing, she could not help but shiver as she felt the icy fingers work on the rope holding her captive. "Captain Wurz?" she said with a slight tremor in her voice, knowing she hit the mark when the activity behind her stopped for a few precious moments before starting up again.

Come on Covington, her mind scolded her; it's only a ghost, why should that scare you anymore than anything else you been through? "You been trying to protect me haven't you?" Janice tried saying without the tremor, "When I saw you the first time, you pointed at the floor, you were warning me about the basement right?"

The silence was starting to get to the small woman, she could feel the tugging at the ropes binding her hands around the beam, but couldn't hear anything except for the sound of her own voice. "And last night, when I followed the creaking coming from the attic, that was the major up there and you stopped me from walking right into him?"

"And packing my clothes was a signal," Janice said leaning against the beam finally understanding that she'd not been imagining things. "But why just me . . . unless Mel has been seeing things also and not saying a word like me!" laughing at her reasoning the woman felt the ropes loosening.

Pulling at the bonds Janice felt the knots slipping, tensing her muscles, the woman clenched her teeth and jerked forward feeling the ropes loosening more, until she was able to work the bindings off her wrist. Standing Janice spun around looking at a empty basement, then she noticed that it was warmer than before as she made her way to the stairs, listening for the telltale sounds of approaching footsteps.

**********************

Melinda carefully pushed the nib she had taken off the fountain pen through the piece of cloth she ripped from her dress; it made a perfect dart as far as she was concerned. Placing it on the table with the other two darts she made, Mel froze in place listening to the creaking floorboards signaling someone coming down the steps.

Hurrying her pace, Mel took the stopper off the bottle of poison hoping that it still held its potency. Being careful not to touch the odorless liquid, the southerner dipped the sharp tips of her darts into the fluid with a slight swirl to coat the darts, then set them back on the desk to dry to a sticky paste.

"Okay Mel" she whispered to herself, "How much to knock a man out, and how long for it to take effect?" Thinking of the size differences between a man and a monkey, the woman looked at the darts and applied a second coating. She knew she'd have to hit bare skin, and that only the bare tip would penetrate for a second or two. But from what she heard, the poison was supposed to be very toxic, at least she hoped it was.

Gathering up the darts and the whalebone, Mel made her way to the parlor door, slowly opening it until she heard movement coming from the living room. Unexpectedly as car horn started sounding followed by the noise of a vehicle pulling up in front of the house.

Gods Janice where are you, her mind asked as she listened to the footsteps walk towards the front door, please be safe, god, I can't lose Janice now that I just found her.

Meanwhile the object of Melinda's concern was cursing under her breath as the basement door creaked open, next time you go into town, you will get some oil for these damn doors Covington, the woman swore. Peering into the darkened kitchen, Janice slipped into the room her mind centering on Mel, where was she and was she safe, please god the woman prayed, let her be safe.

Rauter walked around the car nodding to the man getting out of the drivers side, "Jon, where are the others?"

With a sense of panic, the man turned looking back down the road he just came before turning back to the major, "Carl and Oscar been arrested for attempted robbery."

"WHAT!" Rauter shouted in shock, his own eyes looking down the road expecting to see a series of police cars.

"They failed in trying to kill the woman you sent them after; the fishermen around the docks heard about it and started to search the docks, some huge Irishman found them hiding under the docks." Catching his breath, Jon looked at the major, "They think they're common thieves right now, but once the police start checking into their backgrounds . . ."

Slamming his fist on the hood of the car, Rauter knew that his men were captured, their fake identity papers would not hold up to careful scrutinizing. "Jon did you see anyone walking along the road?"

"No major, I didn't see anyone." The man replied smartly.

Nodding, Rauter turned looking at the house, "Good, if Carl and Oscar keep their mouths shut, we'll be able to head for New York and lay low for a time there." Pausing, the major checked to make sure Jon was paying attention, things were starting to crumble around him, but he would make certain he would not end up in the electric chair.

"The women that live here have to be eliminated, I have one tied up in the basement, the other is hiding somewhere in the house, I'll search upstairs, but I want you to keep a watch downstairs so she don't slip out." Nodding his head, Rauter headed for the house hearing Jon following close behind.

Melinda ducked behind the chair she had used earlier when she heard footsteps climb up the porch steps. Peeking from behind her hiding place, she watched as two men entered the dark house whispering to each other. Keeping absolutely still she observed one pull a gun from his pocket before heading up the steps.

Only one there Mel, she told herself as she placed one of her homemade darts into the long hollowed-out whalebone. She hoped not only would the poison work, but that she had taken time to practice with her blowgun. Placing the tube between her lips, Melinda placed her tongue over the hole and said a short prayer before she added air pressure and lets loose.

Jon turned hearing a hissing noise, then felt something thud against his jacket. Peering toward the direction where the sound came from he only saw pitch-blackness, as the room suddenly became cooler. Running his hand over the spot on his jacket where he felt the impact, he touched something clinging to the fabric.

Pulling it off, his face took on a baffled expression as he gazed at the sticky metal object, bringing it up to his nose Jon sniffed it several times as he tried to decipher what it was. Looking back in the direction of the parlor, Jon noticed that the room was becoming darker, and he briefly wondered why the major didn't have the lights on.

Turning his attention back to the small object, Jon sniffed it once again, not smelling anything, before he stuck out his tongue to taste it, quickly grimacing as he tried spitting out the bitter flavor.

Janice watched the man that had walked in with the major, something seemed wrong with him as he swayed back and forth; to her it looked almost like the man was drunk.

Shaking his head Jon couldn't feel his tongue; in fact his whole mouth was numb. Looking at the piece of metal he was holding in his hand, the man flung it to the floor, get the major his bewildered mind was saying to him, get the major.

Melinda watched the man stagger towards the staircase when a shadow detached itself from the living room and grabbed the drugged man, easing him to the floor. Hastily loading another dart, Mel wondered how long the other person has been lying in wait; knowing that her hiding place was in danger, she brought the blowgun to her lips and sent a dart at the second figure.

Chapter Fourteen

Janice jerked around staring at the parlor when she heard a hissing sound, then felt something hit her wool shirt. Feeling down her shirt until her hand touched a sticky piece of mental, bringing it up to her nose the woman sniffed the odorless paste then glanced at the man lying at her feet.

"Mel?" she said in a whisper, dropping the dart and wiping her hands on her slacks. "Mel, is that you?" she called out softly as her eyes stole a glance up the stairs.

"Janice?" Melinda called out after hearing the shadow cry out her name. Creeping forward, Mel kept her eyes fixed on the shape in front of her, until she was close enough to see the profile of the woman she'd been worried to death about.

"JANICE!" she cried in a loud whisper before engulfing the woman in a fierce hug, delighted that she found her safe and sound. Just as Janice started to return the hug, Melinda's eyes bolted open in alarm, pushing the woman back, she held her at arm's length, "Are you dizzy? Did you just feel a small sting right before you saw me?"

Surprised at the alarm in Mel's voice, Janice started to shake her head side to side, then remembered it was hard to see in the blackness. "No, A small piece of sticky metal hit my shirt but I tossed it on the floor after seeing this guy on the floor."

Blowing out a breath in relief, Mel knew she would not forgive herself if she had darted her friend. "Good, that was a dart I made for my blowgun, it's dipped in tree frog poison, but it should only knock you out for a little while."

Feeling her jaw drop in disbelief, Janice was momentarily unable to speak; finally with a shake of her head, the woman leaned forward softly kissing Mel, "I'm glad I love you for your brain as well as your body."

Touching her lips, Melinda looked closer at her friend's face, "Janice why is your face wet . . . you . . . you love me?"

Touching her lips, Janice had forgotten than her nose and lip were still bleeding, and that reminded her that they were still in danger. "Yes Mel, I love you, I love so much that it hurts sometimes, but we need to cut this short, there's still the major upstairs so we don't have much time."

The darkness hid the grin on her face, but could not keep the feelings she felt out of her voice, "Janice . . . okay I understand, but I want to say that I love you also." Pausing to let her words sink in, Mel knew it was time to get back to saving their lives, "Now who's the major and who are these men?"

Melinda's words had taken a heavy weight off of her shoulders, she knew that no matter what happened, they were finally in love with each other. "Hel . . . uh, heck if I know, all I know is that one guy is calling himself the major, and he wanted to know who I spoke to today."

"I heard one of them speaking German," Mel added, "And there's a short-wave radio up in the attic."

Both paused momentarily pondering the information of Germans, radios, U-boats, blinking lights and a newspaper headline proclaiming an execution before in unison they blurted out, "Spies!"

"Jon?" a man's voice called from the top of the stairs.

Grabbing Melinda's hand, Janice pulled her toward the dining room; her ears listening for creaking floorboards, and the back stairs. If she could just get to her gun in the dresser she was thinking, of course they could make a run for it, but that means outside in open ground with no place to hide while armed men hunted them. Shaking her head, Janice knew their best chance was getting to her gun.

"JON!" Rauter shouted as he ran down the step and knelt next to the unconscious man shoving him roughly, "Get up, get up you idiot!"

****************

"I'LL KILL YOU!" The major shouted, the echo of his voice reverberating throughout the house as he stood over Jon's body, he was a major in the SS, Germany had conquered half of Europe. He was not going to be beaten by two inferior women that would be gassed back in Germany.

Control your breathing, he berated himself, remember what you are and what you know, use the house major, use the house. Taking deep gulps of air, Rauter started to calm down then opened his senses to the silent house.

Normal people would have run his mind reasoned, but these two are corrupt, and the small one had the eyes of a fighter. Slowly his head turned looking up the stairs, he thought he heard a creak, but was not sure, inching his way toward the staircase, the spy carefully and soundlessly made his way up the stairs.

"Where is it!" Janice said in a harsh whisper, as she pulled her boxer shorts out of the dresser and tossed them on the floor. She threw a quick glance at Mel who shrugged her shoulder with a shake of her head.

"Are you sure you put it in the dresser?" Melinda asked in a low whisper, her head only inches away from Janice's.

"I know I did, I remember putting it under my boxers Mel, I can even picture putting it there." The woman replied fiercely, upset that she was now upstairs without a gun to protect Melinda.

"Looking for this?" a male voice asked from the hallway door, raising the gun slightly when it looked like Janice was about to rush him, "Now I would not recommend that," Rauter said in a louder tone, "I would then have to shoot your companion, then chase you."

"You're going to shoot us any way," Melinda stated in her southern drawl.

Advancing into the room, Rauter stayed far enough away so that he could get several shots off if they rushed him, "Ahhhh, but it's how quick you die is now the subject." Turning the gun towards Janice, he could see the dark splotches around her nose and mouth, "Blood looks black in the moonlight as you've found out, now tell me who you talked to today, or I'll shoot your friend in the stomach."

Turning her gaze toward Janice, Mel gasped as she realized what the wetness she felt earlier was; wishing that Janice had told her initially, Melinda shifted her stare back to the major, feeling anger starting to raise from the depths of her soul.

"All right," Janice said hurriedly, already judging the distance between her and the major, she'll be hit no doubt about it, but she was not going to allow him to hurt Mel. "I went to a bar on the docks called the Paddy Anchor, and asked about why this place was haunted, that's all."

Shivering, Rauter looked over to see if the window was open as the room took on a sudden chill. "And that policeman that was here earlier?"

"He asked if we knew anything about the flashing light coming from the ocean, and I told we thought it was the ship sending a SOS." Janice said flatly, then noticed the room getting colder as a smile came to her lips.

"That's all?" Rauter asked, surprised at the smile on the woman's face, she was up to something his mind warned him. Then he saw the man in white standing by the closet, shocked at not hearing the man enter, the major swung the gun around firing at him.

Janice sprung instantly, leaping not at the major as he would've expected but at the hand holding the gun. Arching her body around the pistol as it fired once again, then she sank to the floor, her body still curled around the .44.

"JANICE!" Melinda screamed as she watched the woman fall to the floor, before turning to stare at the major as he stumbled back off balanced. Releasing the anger that'd been rising within, Mel pounced on the major swinging around with a right cross that tagged him on the chin.

Rauter felt his head snap back from the hard blow, not wanting to believe that the punch came from a woman. Slamming into the wall from the force of the blow, he looked up in time for a jab from Melinda to break his nose.

Mel followed the screaming man around the room, delivering blow after blow, she almost took pity on him until she remembered Janice's body falling to the floor. With that in mind, she brought her knee up savagely into his groin; as he bent over with a cry of anguish, Melinda grabbed his arm swinging it up then down in a circle, hurling the major into a flip which landed him painfully on his back.

Mel's breath came hard, her shoulders raising and falling with each intake of air, when she heard a soft clapping. Looking over at Janice, she saw the woman sitting on the floor grinning at her. "JANICE!" cried rushing to the woman's side checking for wounds.

"I'm okay Mel," the small woman said with a smile, "He missed me, I'm not shot."

Eyes wide in astonishment, Mel collapsed sitting next to the woman she loved, before pointing at the motionless major, "Why didn't you help me with him?"

Grinning, Janice wrapped her arm around Melinda's shoulder pulling her close, "Because you didn't need help, and remind me never to pis . . . uh tick you off."

Groaning in relief, Melinda tilted her head until it was laying on top of Janice's hair, "I guess we can use the radio to call the police?"

They both froze, then slowly turned to look at each other stunned, "Why didn't we do that in the first place?" both said in unison, then let out a laugh in relief.

"God, I'm grateful you're safe, but what was he shooting at?" Melinda asked while keeping a watch on Rauter.

Turning her head, Janice looked toward the closet and grinned, "Melinda Pappas," the small woman started off as she pointed, "Meet Captain Henry Wurz."

Furrowing her forehead, Mel turned in the direction of Janice's finger, and felt her mouth drop to the floor as she looked at a swirling white mist formed in the shape of a man. Unable to make a sound, Melinda almost swore she could see the face break into a contented smile before he faded away.

Turning to stare at Janice, Mel could only shake her head at the woman.

"Oh," Janice said with a grin, "This place IS haunted, you see I started to notice it the day we arrived when . . ." Melinda could only nod as her friend relayed the events that happened to her over the pass several days.

Chapter Fifteen

The police car drove up the drive and came to a stop in front of the mansion. Opening the door, Janice climbed out and waited for Melinda with an exhausted sigh. "Nothing like spending the day at a Naval Base talking to the FBI to just fill you full of . . ."

"Good patriotic feelings," Melinda finished for her friend as she stepped onto the drive and stretched looking at the setting sun, "I didn't expect it to take this long." She observed.

Nodding to the driver, Janice gave a diminutive wave as he drove off before turning her attention back to Mel, "Well, it's not everyday that we get to bust up a spy ring, and you really busted the major up."

Wrapping her arm around Janice's they strolled toward the house, "I thought you had been shot, I was scared, angry . . . I don't know how to describe it, I thought you had been taken away from me."

Opening the door for her southern friend, Janice nodded in understanding, "I think I understand what you're saying Mel, I feel that way every time I see some guy talk to you."

Stopping fast in her tracks, Mel looked at Janice in astonishment, "Janice, how could you think that?" Looking at the face framed by blond hair, Melinda had to reach out and touch the soft strands. "Janice Covington, I love you, I would've died along side with you last night if it had came to that, I need you in my life Janice as surely as I need air to breathe."

It was Janice's turn to look at Melinda in wonder, her ocean blue eyes, the raven hair, the slant of her mouth when she smiles, "I love you Mel," she whispered, "I love you more than life, and I'll be your air surrounding you if you'll have me?"

Afraid to speak, Melinda looked at the petite woman, then leaned down catching her in a kiss that built in it's intensity. Pulling back, Mel looked at Janice, the woman's eyes were still closed with her head tilted upwards as if savoring the lingering touch of their lips.

"Janice, uh . . . do you think the captain is still around?" Mel asked looking around the foyer.

Blinking at the change in subject, Janice had to shake her head in an attempt to regain control, "The captain? I . . . I don't know, he could be, or maybe now that he helped us he joined his family."

Taking Janice's arm, Melinda led her up the steps in quiet contemplation, steering the quiet Janice into her bedroom and shutting the door behind her. "If he's still here, I'm sure he's a gentleman."

Nodding in agreement, Janice was puzzled until her face lit up in understanding; pulling Melinda close, she stood on her toes to kiss the woman she loved once again before stepping back and reaching for the buttons on Melinda's blouse.

Mel tried to still her shaking, as Janice removed her blouse and looked her in the eyes. She was scared she admitted it to herself, but she realized it was not from Janice being a woman, but if she could really love her the way Janice deserved.

Taking Mel's hand, Janice without a sound but for their breathing led her soon to be lover over to the huge bed, pausing long enough to unbutton Mel's skirt and let it drop to the floor. Feeling her breath quickening, Janice drunk in the sight of her Mel clad only in her slip and stockings.

Intercepting Janice's hands as she reached for the straps of her peach colored slip, Melinda smiled at the hunger she saw in the woman's eyes, "Your turn." Mel said, her voice barely above a whisper. Melinda's fingers trembled uncontrollably as she reached for Janice's shirt; unable to clasp the buttons she let out a exasperated groan.

Clasping Melinda's hands, Janice led her to the bed, sitting her down on the mattress before backing up watching Mel's eyes. Unbuttoning her shirt, she saw Mel turn her head to the floor, then slowly raised back up only to moan in disappointment at seeing Janice's tee shirt.

Mel could feel her pulse accelerating as she watched Janice pull off her boots. She'd seen the woman almost naked many times; she made it a habit of walking around their New York apartment wearing only her boxer shorts many times. But this was different, soon this woman would be joining her in bed, this was all for her.

Unbuckling her pants, Janice let them drop to her ankles before stepping out and kicking them under the bed. Her eyes remained locked on Mel's when she pulled the tee shirt over her head, freeing her small breasts, the nipples already stiff from anticipation.

Reaching for her shorts, the woman was momentarily alarmed when Mel held up her hand stopping her, "Huh, Janice, can you just leave them on for a little bit longer?" Melinda asked softly.

Seeing Janice's nod, Mel felt a slight reprieve from her nerves, she had not felt anything close to this with David. In the split second it took her mind to reflect, she knew that none of the love or desires she was experiencing now even came close to her first and only time.

Turning her head as Janice advanced toward her, Mel crawled back onto the bed then sneaked a peek at Janice. "You're so beautiful," she couldn't help but say; looking at the woman climbing onto the mattress and scoot closer to her.

Sitting next to Melinda, Janice could feel her heart pounding in her chest, "You're my goddess Mel," she whispered before kissing those exquisite southern lips. Pushing Melinda slightly the pair laid back on the bed, their heads cushioned by pillows, just holding each other close.

Janice made the first move when she moved her head up to deliver a series of kisses along Melinda's jaw, shifting cautiously down her neck. Her hand caressing the tall woman's shoulders then slid the straps of her slip down Mel's arms.

Tilting her head back, Melinda relished the kisses Janice rained down her throat, swallowing when she felt her lover lowing the straps to her slip. Melinda moved slightly pulling her arms up, freeing herself from the straps, then felt a rush of air as Janice pulled down the top of her slip releasing her breasts from the cloth confines.

"Oh god," Janice couldn't help saying as she freed Mel's breasts, the dark nipples were surrounded by half-dollar sized areolas.

"What?" Melinda asked looking at Janice staring at her breasts suddenly concerned.

Tugging Mel's slip down to her stomach, Janice brought up her hand, lightly running a single fingertip over Mel's left breast, delighted at the woman abrupt intake of breath. "They're perfect Mel," Janice whispered as she kissed the tip of the right nipple, then rolled the palm of her hand over the left nipple.

Melinda gasped when Janice twirled her tongue around her stiffening tip, while her hand fondled her other breast. The heat she had been encountering from the woman's kisses were nothing compared to the warmth and aching she was feeling now.

Janice never thought she could have this much pleasure from touching, caressing, making love to a woman's breasts. She had always preferred graceful rears before, but Mel's breasts were in a class all there own. She was lost in the sensation she found in Mel's bosom, they were a little larger than she had imagined, the silky texture, the scent of her skin, the contrast of pale sun hidden skin to the dark nipple.

Closing her eyes Mel ran her fingers through Janice's hair, before biting her lips to keep from crying out when the blond switched her exquisite tongue to her other aching breast. With her hips raising up and down, seeking some type of relief, Melinda didn't realized that Janice had stopped her loving of her breasts, and was kneeling over her.

Lost in the passion, the southerner couldn't make out what her lover was saying at first, then when she grasped what Janice was saying, her face turned deep scarlet, yet raised her hips for the woman to pull her slip off.

She felt dizzy looking down at her Mel wearing only a pair of cotton panties and her stockings. Stroking the smooth silk clad legs of her lover the blond woman shivered at the touch, making a mental note to see her black-market connection back in New York and buy a dozen pair of stockings for this perfect woman.

"Lift up once more," Janice said in a raspy voice, filled with love and desire waiting for Mel to lift her hips; then with gentle tugging, she pulled the woman's panties down, her breath coming up short as she gazed at the black curly patch between Melinda's legs.

"Oh Mel," Janice breathed quietly lying down on the bed, as she parted Melinda's legs depositing kisses on the smooth thigh next to the top of her stockings.

Melinda, covered her face with the palms of her hands, she could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks as her lover knelt between her legs. JANICE her mind screamed, what are you doing? But what ever the blond woman was planning on doing, Mel was not going to stop her, it just felt too good.

A groan escaped pasted her lips when Janice kissed her thigh; the aching within her center was burning in a fire she never experienced before. Pushing her hair back over her face drenched in perspiration, Melinda looked down at Janice sniffing her sex with a look of pure lust.

Intoxicating as Mel's scent was, Janice held herself back from ravishing the dark patch with her mouth. Easy Covington she repeated to herself, before kissing the top of Mel's mount feeling the shutter traveling through her lover's body, her chin gleaming wet with Melinda's liquid scent from touching the soaked curls.

Moaning louder Mel licked her lips after Janice kissed her mount, one hand stayed at her face wiping away the continuing flood of sweat. The other reached down to clutch the top of Janice's head just has her body contorted from Janice's darting a tongue over her lower lips.

Pushing Mel's thighs back, Janice delighted in the woman's spasm when she tasted Melinda's sex. Like a flower Melinda's sex opened itself too Janice's prying eyes, drinking in every fold and dimple until she mapped it in her heart. With a smile, Janice tilted her head licking the length of her lover's vulva, elated to hear the responding moan and quiver of pleasure.

Pulling at Janice's hair, Mel arched her back as Janice's tongue plunged deep into her. The feeling was unlike anything that she had felt before in her life, her moans of ecstasy filled the room as each stab of the woman's tongue brought the aching fire in her loins closer to the surface.

Holding onto her twisting lover, Janice placed her forearm against Mel's thighs to hold them back, then used the thumb on her free hand to stroke the hood protecting Melinda's clitoris. The resulting scream from the southerner's lips and the shaking of her body told Janice that her lover was close to release.

Melinda's voice cried out louder urging Janice on while her legs flexed back and forth with each thrust of her lover's tongue. Releasing Janice's head, she clutched the blankets tightly in her hands before she started to repeatedly shout Janice's name at the top of her lungs.

Janice thrust her tongue deep into Melinda's tunnel one final time, feeling the walls of her lover's sex constrict around her tongue. The sound of Mel screaming her name as she climaxed was a sweet euphoria to the woman that had only before fantasized this moment.

Releasing her death grip on the blankets, Melinda's moans became softer until she felt Janice release the hold on her thighs before slowly crawling up on top of her until she touched her lips with hers.

"I have you," Janice whispered as she laid on top of her lover, playing with the hair pasted to Mel's forehead, "Are you okay?"

Chuckling, the southerner's body had never felt this okay; looking up into Janice's green eyes, the smile left her face to be replaced with a look of tenderness, "I . . . I'm not sure what to do, I . . ."

"Shhhhh," Janice murmured placing a finger on Mel's lips, "You don't hav . . ."

Interrupting Janice, Melinda looked at the woman, "But I want to please you, please." As the taller of the two lovers caressed the other's cheek.

Nodding, Janice rolled off of Mel, bending over and pulling her boxer shorts off and tossing them on the floor. Lying on her back she held out her hand to Melinda smiling, "Give me your hand."

Turning on her side, Melinda placed her hand in Janice's open palm, her eyes roaming over her new lover's body, seeing her completely nude for the first time. She could not help it as her vision was drawn to the blond patch of hair between Janice's legs.

Licking her lips, Janice laid Mel's hand on her throat, then turned her gaze back to the woman at her side, "Explore Mel, just feel."

Looking down at the body by her side, Melinda traced Janice's collarbone, taking in the exceptionally smooth feel of her lover's skin, "I didn't know it would feel this soft," she said in a whisper.

Keeping her hands at her sides, Janice barely nodded, her pale nipples were already stiff, as Mel's touch raised goosebumps along her arms. "I think you'll be surprised at what you'll find Mel, keep going."

Tracing her fingertips lower, Melinda knew what she wanted to experience, and didn't want to wait any longer as her hand cupped Janice's left breast; pausing at the intake of breath from the small woman, Mel leaned closer examining her lover's reaction.

"Oh god," Janice muttered under her breath, she didn't expect a response like this from Mel's explorations. Already she was wet, feeling a tickling sensation as her dew slid down her thigh soaking the blanket underneath her.

Moving down the bed, the southerner moved her fingers around the stiff nipple, swirling around and around until she reached the outer reaches of Janice's diminutive areola, then reversed moving in circles back to the hard tip.

Seeing Janice's breasts rise up and down with her increasing breath, Melinda leaned over touching the right nipple with her tongue, delighted with her lover's answering moan.

Deciding that it would be okay to touch the raven hair, Janice moved her far hand to caress the silky raven colored tresses. Gasping abruptly when Mel used her teeth on her nipple, "Did I hurt you?" Melinda asked a bit distressed.

"Just surprised me," Janice answered, then added a request "but just a little softer." Hissing when Mel bit a little softer, then looked at her expectantly, grinning at her nod, "Yes, like that, feels wonderful." The woman added trying to ignore the ache in her loins that wanted her to roll over and show Mel how to do it.

Come on Covington her mind scolded her, it's her first time, you want to be an idiot and scare her off, this is the woman you love right?

Melinda looked up wondering what she was doing right as she caught sight of Janice nodding slowly with a smile, true happiness on her face, "Janice?" she called softly.

Opening her eyes, Janice looked at Mel, hoping she could show the love she was feeling for the woman.

Rubbing her hand over Janice's stomach, Melinda blushed avoiding her lover's eyes, before taking a breath and turned to meet her gaze, "I'm not sure what to do now . . . how do I . . ."

Shifting her arm around Mel's back, the woman pulled her closer and laid her other hand on top of the one on her stomach, "I'll show you," she whispered before guiding Melinda's hand down to her damp curls.

Mel could feel the heat raising from Janice's sex, the blond curls were damp, no not damp her mind told her, they were soaked. Sliding a finger down Janice's labia, the southerner could not get it out of her mind that it felt like soft velvet. She had touched herself for her personal hygiene but touching Janice's felt so different.

Janice's breath quicken as Melinda explored, so deft was Mel's exploration that she wished she would never stop as she spread her legs wider; gasping in shock and rapture when her love slipped the tip of her finger past her folds. "Yessss," she said hoarsely, "Keep doing that Mel."

Watching as Janice's hips started to rise upwards as if to take in more of her finger, Mel licked her lips and inserted her finger deeper, gratified to hear her love moan while Janice's arm around her back gripped tighter.

Panting, Janice opened her eyes wide when Melinda started to rub the palm of her hand over her clit. The maneuver taking her completely by surprise causing her hips to push her mount harder against Mel's hand.

Swallowing, Melinda beheld Janice's increased breathing, her flush face, and she could feel the heat in the woman's sex as she pumped her finger in and out of Janice's folds. Then her lover's body started to spasm, with teeth clenched tight, the arm circling her back tightened its grip, relaxing when a volley of groans exploded forth from the small body she was holding.

Turning on her side, Janice gripped the hand still thrusting between her legs pulling it away, "Mel," she gasped, "Hold it, please I . . . let me recover." Shutters racked her body once more as Janice took deep breaths.

"Are you okay?" Melinda asked, concerned that she may have done something wrong.

Laughing, Janice brought Mel's hand up to her face, looking over the fingers soaked with her juices, "I'm very okay . . . love." The woman replied then proceed to lick Mel's hand clean digit by digit.

"I love you, Janice."

"I love you, Mel."

***********************

Hours later found them still cuddled together in bed, Janice's head resting on Mel's shoulder, her leg wrapped around her lover's. Sighing as Melinda twisted a lock of her blond hair back and forth, "You know Mel, I've been thinking."

"I guess we're in trouble then," the southerner teased.

"Funny, ha-ha" Janice replied in a deadpan fashion, but her eyes betrayed her laughter, "I was thinking about how long it took for the little part of us that is Xena and Gabrielle to get back together, three thousand years is a long time."

The hand stroking Janice's hair paused, then continued, "Who said that they've waited that long, maybe they've never been apart?"

Turning to look at her lover, Janice narrowed her eyes in thought, "What do you mean?"

"Well, starting with Xena and Gabrielle three thousand years ago gives a lot of time to make ancestors we've never even heard of, maybe their spirits have always been together all this time?" Turning her head, Melinda gazed into her lover's eyes.

Grinning, Janice kissed Mel then laid her head back on Melinda's shoulder, "A love so deep that it never dies, and follows their descendants through all time." Pausing to think it over the small woman nodded and pulled her lover close.

"I guess it's nice to know we'll always be together," Janice said as Melinda covered her hand holding it tight.

"Always," the southerner replied before the pair fell asleep.


Back to Main XIP Fan Fiction Page

The End