Disclaimer: There may be scenes in this story which contain violence and adult language. If these things bother you, then read no further.

What Price Redemption

Part 3

by Dr. Bob
jag1742@usl.edu

Chapter 3: On the Road Again

As Xena's eyes popped open, she was fully conscious and aware of her surroundings, not experiencing any of the momentary sluggishness most people went through upon waking. She looked across at Gabrielle, lying on her stomach a foot away. She smiled as she studied the beautifully peaceful expression on the younger woman's face as she slept. She gently stroked a hand through Gabrielle's long reddish-blonde hair, letting it drape back over the pale skin of her shoulder. She looked across the room towards the window, spotting the first faint rays of sunshine marking the arrival of dawn. She carefully slipped out of bed and walked over to her things. Picking up one of the waterskins, she took a long drink and then poured a bit into her palm, splashing it across her face. She reached over and popped one of the dates from off the tray into her mouth as she stretched. Picking up her armor, she dressed quietly. As she fastened her cuirass in place, she walked over to the window, watching through the shutters as several people were already walking through the streets, getting an early start to the day's business. She walked back over to the bed and smiled down warmly at the still-sleeping woman. "Gabrielle?" When she saw there was no response, she placed a hand on her shoulder and shook her gently. "Gabrielle?"

"What?" the woman asked sleepily.

"It's time to get up," Xena replied as she sat on the bed and began putting on her boots.

"Awwww, can't I sleep some more?" Gabrielle asked, turning her head so that she lay face down on her pillow.

"No. It's dawn and we have to meet Parmax at the gate. You're employed now Gabrielle, remember?"

"Aeye wiifft."

Xena turned and looked down curiously at the prone woman. "What?"

Gabrielle lifted her head off of the pillow. "I said I quit," she replied before letting her head drop back down.

"Gabrielle, this WAS your idea," Xena said with a smirk as she rose. Seeing that Gabrielle still wouldn't get up, she looked around the room and smiled as she spotted the peacock feather sitting on the nightstand nearby. Picking it up, she walked to the foot of the bed and raised the sheet, biting her lip as she spotted the bottom of Gabrielle's vulva from between her spread legs. Grinning impishly, she brought the feather down and wiggled its tip back and forth across the woman's exposed privates.

"HEY!?" Gabrielle squealed as she quickly rose onto her knees, spinning back to face Xena. She couldn't help smiling as she watched the woman attempt to hide the feather behind her back, trying to look innocent. "Alright, I'm up," she said with a sigh as she climbed out of bed. She shuffled across the room and picked up a clean towel. Wetting it slightly, she washed off her face. She looked back over her shoulder as she suddenly felt Xena's hand on her rear. "Oooo, good morning to you, too. But do you think we have time?"

Xena smirked down at her as she held up the flower petal which had been stuck to Gabrielle's skin. "I was just pulling this off. And no, we don't have time."

Gabrielle took Xena's hands and placed them onto her breasts. "Are you sure?" she asked teasingly as she smiled up at her.

"I'm sure," Xena replied stoically, giving Gabrielle's nipples a playful pinch before turning around to pack.

Gabrielle sulked as she began getting dressed herself. "You know, I didn't get my turn last night." She slipped on her underwear and reached for her skirt.

"And whose fault is that? YOU fell asleep."

"Well...you could have woke me up," Gabrielle commented as she tied the laces of her top.

"Yeah? Then you would be even more tired than you are now," Xena said as she tied her scabbard in place behind her back.

"I guess," Gabrielle conceded softly. She reached down and slipped on her boots. "Well, I hope you at least enjoyed yourself."

Smiling as she rose, Xena walked over and stood before the bard. She leaned down and placed a hand under Gabrielle's chin, tilting her face upward. "Thank you for a very beautiful evening," she said sincerely. She leaned forward further and kissed Gabrielle tenderly, softly passing her tongue across the woman's lips before pulling back. Her smile widened as she saw the love on the bard's face. "I promise, next time will be YOUR turn."

Gabrielle let out an excited giggle as Xena turned to finish packing their things. As she tightened the straps on her boots, she looked over at the tray. She picked up the last date and tossed it into her mouth as she looked back over towards Xena. "Do you think we have time for breakfast downstairs?"

Xena rose and walked over to the window as she fastened her chakram to her belt. "I guess. But I don't want everyone to end up waiting on us." Glancing upwards, she ran her fingers over the small holes in the wall just above the window.

Gabrielle's eyes went wide as she watched Xena. She gathered up her bag and quietly walked over towards the door, pulling out the chair braced in front of it.

After looking around the floor below her, Xena opened the shutters and looked down into the pig pen two stories below, spotting the remains of the dark blue curtains which used to hang in the room. "Uh, Gabrielle? What happened to the curtains?" Not hearing a response, she turned back and smirked as she saw that Gabrielle and her things had mysteriously disappeared. Sighing softly, she closed the shutters and picked up her saddlebags. After looking around the room to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything, Xena walked out and headed down the hallway.

As she reached the head of the stairs, she surveyed the common room below. A couple of men were seated at a table near the back wall, eating an early breakfast. A few more who'd just walked in made their way to another table. She spotted Gabrielle near the end of the bar, talking to Sirran. She was thankful that Mirraeus would probably still be asleep. Part of her had to admit, the girl's flirtations hadn't been entirely...unpleasant. As she walked over, she saw Sirran pushing something back along the bar towards Gabrielle.

"I TOLD you Gabrielle. Don't worry about it. Accidents happen." He looked up as he spotted Xena. "Good, Xena. You're here. Tell your little friend her money's no good here."

Xena grinned down at Gabrielle as she walked up and stood beside her. "Is there a problem?"

Gabrielle quickly put the dinars back into her pouch. "Uhm, no. No problems."

"Did you ask about breakfast?"

"Already being taken care of. My wife's seeing to it," Sirran broke in.

"You think we could get it to go? We really have to be leaving," Xena asked.

"Sure. Let me go tell her."

As the man walked into the kitchen, Xena smirked down at Gabrielle.

"What?" she asked, spotting the look on Xena's face.

"You wanna tell me about that curtain?"

"No. I don't," Gabrielle replied decisively. They looked back as Sirran returned.

"She's packing it up right now," he stated. "Will you need anything else?"

"Yeah, can you fill these up?" Xena asked, handing him their waterskins.

"Sure."

"Well, I'll go see about Argo." Xena extended her hand. "Thanks again for everything, Sirran." She turned to Gabrielle, "I'll meet you outside."

"Okay," Gabrielle replied with a sweet smile. After Xena walked through the doorway, Gabrielle turned back to Sirran, holding out a palmful of dinars. "Look, please. Take these. I'm sorry about the..."

Sirran let out an exasperated groan as he turned and carried the waterskins into the kitchen.

***

As Xena finished tightening the straps on Argo's saddle, she looked up and spotted Gabrielle walking towards her. The woman had her arms full as she managed to carry her staff, her bag, the waterskins, and two smaller pouches. Xena walked over, "Here, let me help." She took one of the pouches and peered inside, smiling as she pulled out one of the warm rolls. She took a bite and grinned down at Gabrielle's smirk. "Mmmm. These are good." She said between bites.

"Thanks for the help," Gabrielle said sarcastically as she placed her sack into the large saddlebag.

"Donf memfum if," Xena replied with a mouthful of the slightly spicy bread.

"Don't you know it's bad manners to talk with your mouth full?" Gabrielle asked as she disassembled her staff.

"Excuse me, O' delicate one. What else you got?" Xena asked as she bent over to look in the other pouch. "Mmm, bacon," she commented as she popped a strip into her mouth.

"Hey, save me some," Gabrielle stated as she tied one of the waterskins to the back of the saddle.

"Don't worry. There's plenty," Xena countered. She handed Gabrielle the pouch of bacon as she pulled another roll out of the other. "Let's get going." Xena took Argo's reins as the pair headed up the street. She handed Gabrielle the pouch of bread and took the waterskin. Just as she finished drinking, her eyes suddenly went wide as she heard Mirraeus calling her name. "Um...c'mon Gabrielle. We'd better hurry," she said as she quickened her pace.

"Wait up Xena, Mirraeus is calling us."

Reluctantly, Xena stopped and turned around, swallowing as she spotted the girl running towards them.

Mirraeus, slightly out of breath, stopped in front of the pair. "Uhm, well, I just wanted to wish you..." Sighing, she jumped up and wrapped her arms around Xena's neck, giving her a passionate kiss.

Xena's eyes went wide again as she held out her arms helplessly. She saw Gabrielle standing behind Mirraeus with her mouth hanging open.

Mirraeus broke the kiss and stared up at Xena. "I'll miss you," she said softly. Her lips spread into a mischievous smile. "I'm not even mad about last night, by the way." She stepped back and turned to Gabrielle who was still staring up at Xena. She leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "I hope you realize how lucky you are, Gabrielle." After turning and smiling towards Xena one last time, she headed back towards the Pegasus.

Xena looked down nervously at Gabrielle. "Gabrielle , I swear..we didn't do anything..I mean...I didn't do.." She managed to swallow again with some difficulty. "Gabrielle, say SOMEthing."

Gabrielle finally closed her mouth and took a deep breath as she stepped closer to Xena. "You didn't do ANYTHING?"

"I swear Gabri.... Well, SHE kissed ME. That was it. I didn't do anything to make her think I was interested in her. I promise," Xena said reassuringly as she hesitantly placed a hand on the woman's arm.

Gabrielle smirked slightly. "On our love?"

"On our love. I swear. Gabrielle, she's been all over me since we first got here."

Gabrielle folded her arms as she looked up at Xena. "Well why didn't you just tell me?"

"I...uh..didn't know how you'd react," Xena said softly.

"What did you think I'd do? Throw her out of a window or something?" Gabrielle asked with an arched brow.

Xena just shrugged.

"Well, you should've trusted me."

"You're absolutely right, Gabrielle. I should've trusted you." Xena said hastily.

"Alright, I guess we should be going." Just as she turned, she spun back around and placed a hand against Xena's stomach. "What did she mean by being mad about last night?" Gabrielle asked curiously.

"Well, she snuck into the bath while you were gone. I sort of...tricked her to...get away from her without you realizing she was in there."

Gabrielle nodded once as she stared down at the ground, remembering how strangely Xena had been acting the night before. "Well, I guess I can't blame her. I'd have probably done the same thing if I'd been her." She cocked her head slightly. "She IS very pretty. You weren't tempted, not even a little?"

Xena took Gabrielle's hand. "I told her I loved you too much to hurt you like that."

Gabrielle blushed slightly as she squeezed Xena's hand. "Well, let's go." As they walked towards the gate, she looked up at Xena. "She was pretty persistent, huh?"

Xena rolled her eyes. "Like you wouldn't believe. She even asked me if she could...spend the..uh..night with us." Xena let out a nervous chuckle. "Pretty...funny, huh?" She stopped as she noticed Gabrielle turn and look back in the direction of the Pegasus. "Gabrielle?"

Gabrielle looked back at Xena with an unreadable expression for a moment before continuing down the road, lost in thought.

Xena's brow furrowed as she looked from Gabrielle to the inn, and then back towards the woman. "Gabrielle?!" Pulling Argo's reins, she hurried after her. "Gabrielle, wait up!"

***

As they cleared the main gate, Xena spotted Parmax standing with a small group of people near the side of the road. A trio of large covered wagons stood nearby. "That must be them," Xena commented as she nodded in their direction.

Parmax smiled as he noticed Xena and Gabrielle approaching. "Well, good morning."

"Good morning," Gabrielle replied as she shook his offered hand.

"I hope you weren't waiting on us?" Xena asked.

"No, not at all. As usual, we're waiting on my wife," he answered with a wide grin. He pointed to one of the men nearby. "This is my son, Jerrus, and his wife, Helaena." He introduced the others nearby. "The rest you'll meet eventually." He looked over Xena's shoulder. "Well, better late than never."

Following his gaze, they turned and spotted a grey-haired woman walking their way. She was carrying a small boy, still asleep with his head resting on her shoulder. Another boy, who looked about seven or eight, followed close behind. As they drew closer, he ran up and jumped into Jerrus' arms.

"Xena, Gabrielle, this is my son, Temanon." He looked down at the boy "Well,go ahead, say hello."

Temanon shook his head and giggled as he buried his face in his father's neck, causing Gabrielle to likewise giggle softly.

"You have to forgive him, he's shy."

The boy pulled back and looked at his father. "Is Cassandra up?"

"Yeah, she's playing by the wagons. You can go AFTER you say hello to Xena and Gabrielle."

The boy turned and extended his hand. "Hello."

"Hello," Gabrielle returned as she shook his hand lightly.

Jerrus put him down and he immediately ran off, disappearing behind one of the wagons.

Parmax spoke up. "This is my wife, Saraya and my other grandson, Dericles."

She smiled politely and nodded. "It's nice to have some more women along," she whispered as she made a face at the men nearby. "You'll have to excuse me. I'm going to go put this one down." She headed for the second wagon.

"Parmax, where's the medicine?" Xena asked.

"Follow me," he instructed as he made his way to the closest wagon. Unhooking the back panel, he opened it and pointed inside to six large amphoras lashed together near the front of the wagon amid several rolls of cloth, chests and various other items. "We have six more in each of the other wagons."

"Isn't that a LOT?" Gabrielle asked.

"Well, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd originally kept them all together, but our caravan master suggested splitting them up between the wagons."

"Where is he?" Xena asked as she looked around.

"He's scouting the road up ahead. He asked if you wouldn't mind taking the rear."

"No problem," Xena replied.

"Good, we'll head out in a few minutes. I have to see to the others." Parmax walked off towards the other wagons.

"What's a caravan master?" Gabrielle asked as she looked up at Xena.

"It's a term borrowed from the Persians. It means the person in charge of a caravan or wagon train like this. He usually decides what roads to take, where and when to stop, overseeing the other guards, stuff like that."

"I figured Parmax would do most of that."

"Well, I guess he has enough sense to realize his specialty is bargaining and not dealing with bandits," Xena commented as she walked around and inspected the wagon.

Gabrielle let out a low chuckle. "It doesn't sound like this guy has much faith in us, sticking us in the rear like that."

Xena grinned as she looked down at the younger woman. "On the contrary, Gabrielle. It's an important position. You have to keep an eye out behind the group and if there's an ambush, the person in the rear will probably be the first one to spot it."

"Really? I never thought of it like that. Have YOU ever been a caravan master?"

Xena made a slight grin. "No. But I've ambushed eno...," she ended her sentence prematurely as a young girl bolted from behind the wagon and ran into her legs. Xena leaned down and steadied her before she could fall backwards. She glanced up and spotted Temanon peeking at them from the corner of the wagon. She looked back down at the girl.

She appeared to be only about six years old. She had long blond hair tied back into a ponytail and light blue eyes. She wore a short-sleeved, light green shirt and a tan, knee-length skirt. She looked straight up at Xena as she took a step backward. "I..I'm sorry," she said meekly.

Xena's expression softened. "It's okay. Just be careful next time."

"I will." She turned and walked towards the back of the wagon. As she reached the corner, she turned back and smiled at Xena, who found that she couldn't help returning a smile of her own.

As the girl giggled and ran off, Xena turned and spotted Gabrielle staring at her. "What?"

"Don't you think she's a little YOUNG for you?" Gabrielle asked with a smirk. "At least Mirraeus was..."

"Shut up, Gabrielle," Xena groaned softly as she walked over towards Argo with Gabrielle snickering right behind. "Look, we're getting ready to move," Xena commented as she nodded towards the wagons.

Gabrielle reached into a saddle bag and pulled out her staff. As she screwed the pieces together, she looked back up to Xena. "You think we'll see any bandits?"

"I don't know. Hopefully, the next week will be very boring," Xena replied with a grin. She pulled on Argo's reins as the pair fell in line behind the last wagon.

Gabrielle cocked her head as she looked back up to Xena. "I hope it's not TOO boring."

Xena smirked down at the woman. "Be careful of what you wish for Gabrielle. You just might get it."

***

A little over an hour later, Xena spotted a lone rider approaching from up ahead. She watched as the man stopped and talked to Parmax for a few moments.

"Is that him?" Gabrielle asked as he rode in their direction.

"Must be." Xena commented. She watched as he dismounted and tied the reins of the large black charger behind the second wagon. As he walked their way, stopping occasionally to talk to some of the men. Xena was surprised at how young he was. He looked about halfway between her and Gabrielle in age. What surprised her the most was his apparent lack of armor, which meant one of two things. He was either stupid and lucky or he was very good. He was wearing a dark brown shirt with its long sleeves rolled up to the elbow, black trousers, and knee high leather boots. He also didn't seem to be carrying any weapons, Xena realized.

As he drew closer, Gabrielle was able to better make out his features. He looked about three or four years older than her and a few inches shorter than Xena. His clean-shaven, boyish face made him appear even younger. He had shoulder length, light brown hair; the top and sides were pulled back into a pony tail while the back hung loose. His eyes were a startlingly deep shade of green.

The man smiled slightly as he walked up and fell in line with the two of them. As he matched their pace, he stared down appraisingly at Gabrielle for a moment. "So, you're the famous Xena I've heard so much about."

Gabrielle giggled and started to correct him before he interrupted her.

"Well, I have to admit, you look about as tough as your reputation."

"But.."

"As long as you're traveling with us though, I don't want any trouble out of you. Understand?" he said with smirk.

Gabrielle placed a hand on his arm. "I'M not Xena. SHE'S..."

"He knows, Gabrielle," Xena interrupted with a smile. She extended her hand which the man shook.

He turned back to Gabrielle and offered his hand to her. "Hi, my name's Ian."

"EE-un? That's a strange name."

He chuckled as he turned back to Xena. "We just met and she's already making fun of me." He looked across at Gabrielle and winked. "Have you met everyone else?"

"Some," Xena answered. "Who's driving the third wagon?"

"

That's Patreon and his wife, Shinnara. He takes care of the horses. He's been working for Parmax for years."

"How many people are there?" Gabrielle asked.

"Twelve men, five women, and four children."

"Is it such a good idea to have children along?" Xena asked as she pulled a waterskin off of Argo's saddle.

"Probably not. But, I guess we'll just have to make sure nothing happens to them."

Xena watched as a smile spread across his face. Following his gaze, she spotted the same blond haired girl they'd met earlier that morning.

She ran towards them and smiled up at Ian. "Did you find any?"

"No, sorry. Have you met Xena and Gabrielle?"

"Yeah, we ran into each other this morning." Xena spoke up. She grinned as the girl looked up at her with that contagious smile. "But we didn't get a name."

"Cassandra," she replied, still smiling. She looked back up to Ian. "Piggy-back?" she asked as she held her arms up.

"Awwww, three wagons and you want ME to carry you?" the man asked.

"Uh-huh."

"Oh alright," he leaned down and easily picked her up, spinning her around and placing her on his shoulders. "You know you're getting too heavy for this. Now, you happy?"

"Yep," the girl replied with a wide grin.

"Parmax said you've been having trouble with bandits?" Gabrielle asked.

"Yeah, at least every other day it seems. We lost a man just outside of Thebes. Well, I need to go talk to some of the others. We'll stop in a few hours. If either of you need anything, let me know." As he started to walk ahead, he turned back and looked at Gabrielle, "I meant what I said. I don't want any trouble out of you," he said with a grin. "Nice staff, by the way."

Cassandra turned and waved at them as Ian walked towards the second wagon.

"Xena, why don't you ever carry me piggy-back?"

Xena looked wide-eyed down at the woman. "Who do I look like? Atlas?"

Gabrielle let out a sarcastic chuckle.

***

As Gabrielle filled the second waterskin at the edge of the pond, she looked up and spotted Cassandra. "Hello."

"Hey," the girl replied with a grin as she filled up a large gourd.

"Are you related to Parmax?" Gabrielle asked, trying to make conversation.

"No. Ian and I only met him a couple of weeks ago in Athens. Ian's my...brother," the girl answered as she stoppered the gourd. "Bye," she said with a sweet smile as she walked towards the wagons.

Gabrielle walked over and handed Xena one of the skins.

"Thanks. Didn't you want to go play with the other children?" Xena asked with an impish smile.

Gabrielle leaned closer and placed an arm around her waist. "I'd rather play with you."

Xena's smile grew. "Maybe later."

Gabrielle tied the other skin to Argo's saddle. "I was talking with Cassandra by the lake. She and Ian are brother and sister."

"Really?" Xena asked with a curious expression. There certainly wasn't any family resemblance between the two.

They looked up as Ian walked over, leading his horse. "I'm going scout the road up ahead. Ya'll can head out once everyone is ready."

"You mind some company?" Xena asked as she stoppered the skin and tied it to her saddle.

"Uhm..No, not at all. Let me go tell Parmax." Ian mounted the large stallion and rode towards the lead wagon.

Xena leaned down and lightly kissed Gabrielle. "I won't be long."

"Okay. Be careful."

Xena climbed onto Argo and spurred the horse towards the road where Ian was waiting.

***

Ian pulled the reins, halting the large black horse at the top of a small rise. He scanned the road ahead as Xena pulled up nearby.

"Problem?" Xena asked.

"Possibly. You see that pass up ahead?"

Xena looked to where he pointed. The road cut between two sloping forested hills for several hundred feet.

"That's a perfect spot for an ambush. They could have men hidden in the trees or on the other sides of those ridges. They would have surprise and the high ground. A small group of horsemen on both ends and they could box us in pretty easily."

Xena turned and looked at him with a raised brow. "You think like a soldier, or a bandit."

"Well, thank..," he stopped his sentence as he turned and looked at her. "I'm not sure how I should take that."

Xena's expression was unreadable. "As an observation."

"Let's check it out." Ian suggested as he urged the horse forward in an easy gait.

"Where are you and your sister from?" Xena asked.

"My SISTER?" Ian asked with a curious look.

"Cassandra."

"Who told you she was my sister?"

"That's what she told Gabrielle," Xena replied.

"Oh really? She's not my sister. We just travel together," Ian stated as they reached the mouth of the wide pass.

Xena suspected there was more to the story, but she had never been one to pry. That's what Gabrielle was for.

"I'll take the left side, you take the right. We'll meet on the other end."

"Sounds good," Xena replied. She drove Argo up the gradual slope to the right side of the road. She expertly navigated the animal between the numerous evergreens. As she reached the top of the hill, she slowed Argo's pace, allowing her to scan both sides for anything out of the ordinary. Several minutes later, she reached the edge of the treeline and spurred Argo down the opposite slope, smiling as she spotted Ian awaiting her on the road. "It's all clear on this side," she called out as she drew near.

"Same here. The others shouldn't be that far behind. Why don't you go back and lead them. I'll hang around here," Ian suggested.

"Alright." Xena nodded and then turned Argo, spurring her back down the road.

***

Gabrielle yawned as she looked up at Xena in the saddle. "Well, you've been right so far."

"About what?"

"It's certainly been boring," Gabrielle replied, followed by another yawn.

"That's just fine by me," Xena said with a smile. "I imagine we'll be stopping in a few hours." She looked towards the sun, hanging low over the western horizon.

"Good, I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight," Gabrielle commented. She looked up and noticed the expression on Xena's face. "Xena, what's wrong?"

"I'm not sure," she replied. She watched as Ian rode towards the caravan from up the road. As he reached the first wagon, he raised his hand in front of his chest, clenching it into a fist. He rode down the line, talking to several of the men as he made his way towards them. Xena watched as Parmax slowed the lead wagon, allowing all three to pull closer together. She saw Helaena gather two of the children and place them into the second wagon. The men casually spaced themselves to either side of the train. "What's going on?" Xena asked as Ian drew closer.

He turned the animal around and fell in beside her. "About a mile down the road I spotted someone moving around in the trees. Might not be anything. Might be an ambush."

"Why don't we go around?" Gabrielle asked.

"The wagons would never make it through the trees. We're better off out in the open anyway. Stay next to the wagons." He looked back at Xena. "I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but if we run them off, don't chase them into the forest." He smiled as Xena gave him a smirk. He looked back up the road. "You see that big oak to the left side of the road?"

"Yeah."

"It's around there. Be careful." He spurred the horse forward and dismounted near the second wagon, looping the reins to the rear.

Xena looked down to Gabrielle as she slid off of Argo. "Gabrielle, walk up ahead near the wagon." She loosened her sword in its scabbard as she scanned the treeline up ahead.

Gabrielle walked closer to the third wagon, smiling nervously at one of the guards nearby who'd nodded in her direction. She looked up ahead and noticed Ian fiddling with something under his saddle. She watched as he pulled out two ends of a staff which he quickly fastened together. She'd never seen a man who chose to use a staff as a weapon. She noticed that it was nearly a foot taller than him as he casually walked alongside the second wagon. She spotted Cassandra as the girl poked her head out from behind the curtain.

Ian, who'd likewise noticed, tapped the side of the wagon just underneath her with his staff, nodding his head for her to get back inside.

Gabrielle grinned as the girl stuck out her tongue at him before disappearing behind the curtain.

The group continued on, silence pervading the roadway except for the occasional creak of the wagon wheels or hoofbeat from one of the horses.

***

The attack came silently just as the first wagon reached the large oak. Xena watched as several figures clad in dark leather armor burst from the forest on either side.

As she drew her sword, she watched the other guards do likewise and prepare to meet the charge of the onrushing bandits. She spotted Parmax and his son jump off their respective wagons, each with a sword in hand. She slapped Argo on the rump, knowing the horse would head to safety but stay within earshot. She spared a glance towards Gabrielle, thankful that she was sticking close to the front of the third wagon with a couple of guards between her and the bandits. With a feral grin, she turned and faced several of the hooded figures running her way.

Gabrielle stood with her back to the wagon, watching as the bandits drew closer.

Ian took a few steps forward, eyes narrowing as he held his staff at waist level, waiting for the first of the bandits to come within reach. He spotted one of them fall to his knees, clutching at an arrow in his chest. He was thankful once again for Patreon's skill with a bow. He shifted his stance as he watched a pair of bandits armed with short swords running towards him. Judging that the one on the right would reach him first, he switched the grip of his left hand. Just as the man came within striking distance, Ian spun in place and brought the end of the staff up to connect with the side of his head. Finishing the pivot, he brought the opposite end up in a jab to the other bandit's jaw. He watched the man's body stiffen as his feet went out from under him. Glancing down at the first bandit who was starting to get back to his feet, he brought the staff down on the back of his skull, dropping him immediately. Looking back up, he spun the staff in a figure eight as several more of the bandits drew nearer. Not waiting for them to reach him, he advanced forward, the staff continuing to spin in his hands. Whipping the end across, he knocked the sword from one of the bandit's hands. Spinning in place, he landed a back kick to the man's head, knocking him aside several feet. Seeing another of the bandits right behind the first, he spun again. This time, dropping into a crouch as he brought the end of the staff down, knocking the man off his feet. Rising quickly, he brought the end back down on the bandit's head, rendering him unconscious. Spinning the staff from side to side, he looked up and spotted a second group of bandits emerging from the treeline.

Gabrielle watched intently as Ian spun the staff in a complex blur of motions, occasionally incapacitating a bandit as they came within reach. Hearing Xena's battlecry, she turned to her right and spotted the woman land a crescent kick to one of the bandits, knocking the man onto a few others already lying on the ground. As she looked forward again, she saw one of the bandits slash a guard in the arm, punching the man afterwards. Stepping forward quietly, she brought her staff up, striking the bandit in the head just as he turned her way. She had little time to savor her success as another bandit stepped over the first. She side-stepped to the right as the man lunged at her with his sword. Bringing the end of her staff up, she knocked the blade from his hand. As she attempted to strike him with the other end, he grabbed the staff in both hands, lifting it upwards, drawing Gabrielle closer. Still holding onto the staff, Gabrielle attempted to knee the man in the groin.

Expecting this, the man turned at the waist. He laughed as he leaned closer, his face only a few inches from hers.

After leaning backwards, Gabrielle closed her eyes and shot forward with a headbutt. Her vision erupted into a bright flash of colors before going black again as her legs gave way. As she fell onto her rear, she clutched at her head, grunting through the pain.

Xena punched one of the bandits in the face after parrying an attempted lunge. She spared a glance to her left, her eyes going wide as she saw Gabrielle on the ground, obviously hurt. She was only able to take two steps before another bandit jumped in her path. Scowling, she swung her sword at the man's neck and cursed as he managed to block it. Her eyes went wide again as she looked over the man's shoulder and spotted another bandit advancing on Gabrielle with a sword. "GABRIELLE!!" Switching her sword to her left hand, she reached for her chakram with her right. She blocked the downward swing from the bandit in front of her and kicked the man viciously in the stomach. Her heart froze as she watched the other bandit standing over Gabrielle, raising his sword. As she brought her right arm back, she suddenly felt the chakram knocked from her grasp. Turning, she looked at the bandit she hadn't even seen. As she crouched to retrieve the chakram, she brought her sword around and ran the man through. Not even attempting to pull her blade free, she let it go as she brought the chakram back. As she turned to aim her throw, praying that she wasn't too late, she saw that the bandit was lying on the ground near Gabrielle. After getting her sword back, she quickly sprinted over towards the bard. Looking around, she saw that only a handful of the bandits were left standing and some were already retreating towards the forest's edge. She knelt down next to Gabrielle who was cradling her head in her hands. "Gabrielle, what happened?" she asked as she placed a hand on the woman's shoulder. She looked down at the bandit that had been standing over Gabrielle, spotting some type of metal spike pinning the hood he wore to the back of his skull.

"Xena?" Gabrielle asked feebly as she looked upwards, her vision still blurry. She groaned as the throbbing in her head flared up again. "I hit my head. I'll...be okay in a while," she said with a grimace.

Xena ran her hand over the bump forming on the top of the younger woman's forehead. "Yeah, you'll be okay," she said softly. She leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek before turning to look at the remainder of the battle. Ian, who was a good fifty feet away, was still fighting a couple of the bandits.

Ian blocked the downstrokes of both swords with his staff. Turning the blades away, he kicked one of the bandits in the ribs, sending the man wheezing to the ground. As he turned to face the other man, he quickly had to let go of the staff with his left hand as the second bandit struck it with his sword. As Ian took a step backwards, the bandit kicked the staff out of his hand. Ian watched the man's eyes narrow behind the holes in his hood. "You think I need that thing to finish you off? C'mon," he taunted. As the bandit brought his blade in a downward slash, Ian caught him by the wrist with his right hand. Spinning in place, he brought his left elbow up into the bandit's face. Looking to his left, he spotted the bandit he'd just kick rise to his feet and slowly advance toward him. "Why don't you guys just stay down?" he asked. He easily side-stepped the bandit's clumsy charge and extended his arm into a clothesline, sending the man somersaulting backwards to land on his stomach. As he looked around for his staff, he noticed another of the bandits starting to come around. Ian walked over as the man rose. As the bandit looked up at him, Ian reached over and grabbed his hood, spinning it so that the eye holes were on the side of his head. As the bandit struggled with the hood, finally pulling it off, his eyes focused just in time to see Ian's foot connect with his face. Ian smirked down at him as the man slumped to the ground. "Idiot." After retrieving his staff, he walked back towards the others.

Xena, still crouching next to Gabrielle, looked up at him as he returned. "I thought you said to stay near the wagons?" she asked with an arched brow.

He grinned down back down at her. "Do as I say, not as I do," he said with a wink. Bending over, he pulled the metal spike from the bandit's skull, wiping it off on the dead man's hood.

"YOU did that?" Xena asked as she helped Gabrielle to her feet.

"Uhm-hmm," he replied with a slight nod as he surveyed the rest of the group. He turned back to them. "How is she?"

"I'll be okay," Gabrielle replied softly.

"Good," he said sincerely. He looked up at Xena. "Why don't you load her into the wagon. I want to put some distance between us and these guys," he said, nodding towards the bandits strewn across the wide clearing. He turned and looked at Jerrus as the man came closer. "Who else was wounded?"

"Two of the guards; neither one serious."

"Okay, put `em in the wagons." He looked up into the western sky. "We still have a few hours of daylight and I'd like to get as much use out of it as we can." He walked over and untied his stallion from the back of the second wagon. He looked up and spotted Cassandra smiling at him from inside the wagon. "Hey little one. You okay?"

"Yeah, I missed all the excitement," she said with a pout.

"Good," he commented with a smile. "Here. Why don't you hold onto this for me." He passed her his staff which she pulled into the wagon. He climbed onto his horse and turned as Xena rode up on Argo.

"We ready to go?" Xena asked.

"Yeah, we're gonna pick up the pace a bit. You got the rear?"

Xena nodded.

"Alright, well let's move out." He turned and looked back up the road.

"Hey Ian?"

"Yeah?" he asked, turning back around to face her.

"Thanks."

"For what?" Ian asked curiously.

"For saving Gabrielle," Xena replied with a sincere smile.

"Anytime," he replied with a smile of his own. He turned and spurred the stallion forward.

Xena's eyes narrowed as she watched the man gallop off. Something about the way he fought seemed familiar, but she couldn't figure out exactly what it was. One thing was certain. He WAS good. As the last wagon rode passed, she urged Argo onto the road behind it.

end Chapter 3

Continued - Part 4