IN A MAN'S WORLD

By Enginerd

*************************

CHAPTER 11 - THE TRUTH

Gabrielle climbed the stairs quietly to her room. Gods, what a mess, she thought recounting all that she learned this evening. A short moment after entering her room, there was a rapping on Gabrielle's door which disrupted her mild panic attack. Gabrielle went down the list of possible visitors.

It could be Esther, who was fond of Gabrielle's Gabriel, in a not-as-a-friend sort of way, and found another excuse to drop in on Gabriel in his bedroom. It could be Leo, formerly known as a pacifist, who's beliefs were being shattered and was interested in beating up his brother after, of course, being trained in the fine art of handling hecklers. It could also be Rachel, who was not shy and was perhaps there to persuade Gabriel that a verbal thank you for helping him was not enough. Or, it was Xena who had been suspicious of her "Cousin" story since she heard it.

"Oh Gods, if everyone would just..." Gabrielle stopped herself from finishing the thought, considering Hermes' possible actions. Gabrielle smiled weakly when she remembered Melosa told her "...be careful of what you wish for..." Of course, Gabrielle, nor Melosa, had any idea THIS could happen. Certainly Terrais never did when she passed on her Right of Caste to her. She wondered how Malosa would react. The rapping was louder the second time.

"Come in." Gabrielle called out, resigned to the fact the person knocking actually wanted to come in. The door opened. Gabrielle didn't turn to see who it was, still staring out the window.

"Yes?" Gabrielle exhaled softly, continuing to look out the window with the hope of discouraging the person from visiting. She didn't know if she could handle company right now. Besides the initial sound of the door opening, the absence of sound and the quiet presence was unmistakable to Gabrielle, it had to be Xena.

"You shouldn't keep your back to the door. Especially with your talent at aggravating the men with the swords. You would have been an easy target." Xena spoke sternly. Gabrielle didn't turn to meet her gaze. Instead she continued to look out over the garden.

"If I had to worry about being attacked by everyone I aggravated, I would be paranoid all the time..." She responded, bringing for the first time in many days a relaxed smile to Xena's face. With a softer tone, Xena reasserted the need for caution.

"You really should watch out for Boean and his armed men...He likely sees you and Leo as obstacles. Especially after your story." Gabrielle finally turned to face her friend.

"Yes, you are right. I won't be so careless in the future...is there something ELSE you wanted besides my increased attention to my surroundings?" Gabrielle snapped back unintentionally but quickly apologized. "I'm sorry. I've had a bad couple of days and it's catching up to me..."

Xena's eyes searched floor as if she would find the appropriate words laying there. Gabrielle waited curiously for Xena speak. When Xena's eyes lifted to meet hers, it was obvious to Gabrielle Xena knew who she was. Aesop's fable about the Sun and Wind did her in, she concluded with a heavy sigh. Only if she could tell Xena everything. Xena knew there was a God's hand in this and a reason for Gabrielle's silence.

"Your story today...it was... almost...as good as Gabrielle's" Xena spoke cautiously. Gabrielle looked oddly at her friend wondering why she was comparing stories. Then it struck Gabrielle like a ton of stones. Xena had just opened a door she could walk through. Xena knew she had reached her friend from the light in the bards eyes and wide grin.

"I would say the story was exactly the same." Gabrielle looked down at herself then back at Xena. "But I guess you don't see it that way." She quickly added.

Gabrielle paced a moment thinking then stopped.

"Unfortunately, I am forbidden by the strict rules of ah...barddom... to discuss differences in stories. A bard can't even discuss the details of the original stories being written." Xena's questioning look prompted Gabrielle to continue.

"Although, once an original story is finished, I...a good bard following those rules can discuss it. So please, no questions about the stories, I can't answer them...now." Xena, not thrilled with the conditions, nodded in agreement. She trusted her friend would tell her when she could.

So many questions and too few answers. At least she found Gabrielle, Xena thought thankfully. She stared at the form of young man standing before her and sighed. Then surprising Gabrielle, a slight smile crossed Xena's face.

"I thought I asked you not to get into trouble." Xena revealed the reason for her grin. Gabrielle laughed softly then answered.

"You didn't ask, you ORDERED me. You know I don't do orders." Gabrielle responded sarcastically, yet her heart soared knowing she did not have to go through this alone. Xena circled Gabrielle, looking her over.

"Don't you think you went a little overboard to prove that point?" She asked, gently lifting Gabrielle's "manly" arm by the wrist and inspected it curiously.

"Hey!" Gabrielle yanked her arm from Xena's grip. "Would you mind. I'm not merchandise you know."

Xena playfully ran her finger down Gabrielle's stomach, causing Gabrielle to slap Xena's hand.

"Stop that" Gabrielle protested with growing irritation at Xena's discomforting attention.

"You said no questions, but you never said I couldn't get answers on my own." Xena responded with a raised eyebrow and once again ran her fingers down Gabrielle's stomach. Gabrielle pushed her hand away and backed up a step.

"Trust me, you would be sorely disappointed." Gabrielle blurted, feeling more uneasy than she ever had with Xena. Xena stepped closer with a bigger grin.

"I'll be the judge of that..." Gabrielle backed up a few more steps, stumbling into a chair. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, Gabrielle tried to calm her nerves. The look in Gabrielle's face and her trembling made Xena immediately stop as guilt and sorrow flooded her heart.

"Oh Gab..." The emotional apology was abruptly stopped out of fear of doing something else wrong. Xena didn't know if she could even mention Gabrielle's name. The noise of Gabrielle stumbling got the attention of Esther, who rushed in the room.

"Gabriel? Are you..." She saw Xena then looked over at Gabrielle. Xena could see Esther's embarrassment thinking she had interrupted something.

"I heard a noise. I thought...I'm sorry." She looked away upset. "Good night." She blurted and left the room before Gabrielle could say anything. Xena had noticed Esther's interest in "Gabriel" previously and wondered why "Gabriel" maintained his polite distance from this very attractive woman. Xena had learned the answer this evening. Xena looked at her friend, now slumped in that chair with her head in her hands.

"I can't win." She mumbled. "I had no idea how...complicated...things have gotten" Xena's heart ached knowing she had added to her friend's stress. She resisted her urge to step forward and embrace her friend. The last thing Xena wanted was to further upset Gabrielle. "Complicated... that's one way of putting it..." Gabrielle mumbled.

"I was thoughtless. I'm so sorry...Gah ...Gabriel." She found it hard to say that name. Gabrielle looked up, finding comfort in those blue eyes.

"I know." Gabrielle said softly, having already forgiven her friend.

"Well" Gabrielle got up, shaking off the stressful events of the evening. "I'll have to put off wallowing in self-pity for now." Gabrielle paced the room. "But one day, I will wallow ...and I will wallow in a grand way." Gabrielle turned and grinned at her friend, making them both feel a little better. Xena wondered with admiration and amazement where Gabrielle got her seemingly limitless strength.

"No doubt a very grand way." Xena responded.

Gabrielle relayed some news to her friend.

"We've got a bigger problem with the Sunmoon. Rachel overheard..." Xena's eyebrow raised. "Don't start..." Gabrielle eyed her.

"I didn't say anything." Xena shrugged. Gabrielle relayed Boean s insidious plan.

"He doesn't sound like a man who can be reasoned with." Xena sighed, concluding that the solution would be bloody and in Amazon territory. She didn't see any other "better way" with a man like Boean. At least war was something she understood and had a good chance of stopping these Sunmoon with. Her mind easily shifted into the familiar war mode. She knew they needed to gather more information on size and strength of the Sunmoon army.

"We can probably reach the army by morning." Xena noted. "Once we get the information on their strength, we will go warn Malosa and help her prepare." Gabrielle did not like Xena's idea.

"Xena, I think we can still avoid a war." Xena looked at her friend wondering how she could possibly think that considering all that was going on.

"How confident are you? There are many lives at stake." Xena challenged her.

"I may not be as experienced in War as you Xena" Gabrielle responded, obviously annoyed with her friends last comment. "but I think I know enough to know we don't want it. We shouldn't rule out a peaceful solution just yet." Xena looked at her friend, full of conviction.

"You don't happen to have a plan do you?" Xena asked. Gabrielle smiled. "Why did I ask?" Xena muttered.

Xena, feeling comfort in her leathers and armor but little else, crept quietly into the barn with Gabrielle. Argo whinnied a quiet hello having missed riding for a many days.

"Hello girl." Xena warmly greeted her with a scratch on the neck. Turning back to her friend, Xena was not finished arguing about the plan.

"You don't know Sunal, or how he will react to your news about Boean." Xena grew more agitated the more she thought about Gabrielle's plans.

"Xena, there are still a large faction of those Sunmoon who don't want to fight. They are only following because of lies or fear. You saw them in the tavern. There was a definite division. Maybe we can use that to our advantage. Leo and I might be able to sway them back to practicing their pacifist beliefs." Only one of them was confident with the plan.

"Mights...Maybes? Do you know how weak that plan is?" Xena struggled to keep her voice quiet. Gabrielle sighed.

"I'm not changing my mind." Gabrielle said simply.

"If WE go now, we can eliminate their element of surprise. Perhaps we can also stop Brother Lerus from killing his own men and avoid this conflict altogether." Xena attempted to convince her friend. Gabrielle reflected on that thought a moment.

"If the scouting party is stopped, that WOULD help avoid a conflict with the army.." Gabrielle noted. Xena smiled believing she had just won a rare victory, persuading her friend to listen to her. It was even sweeter in that she also came up with a possible alternative to an all out war. "OK then, lets go." Xena started towards Argo with enthusiasm.

"No." Gabrielle said simply.

"No? You just agreed we would go." Xena was clearly annoyed.

"I didn't agree WE would go, you did. I just agree that stopping the scouting party is a good idea.." Gabrielle responded. Xena saw her victory slipping away and was not pleased. "Xena, you wouldn't have us risk lives with my Mights and Maybes, yet you would have us risk lives with your Perhapses? Seems to me, neither of us have full-proof plans. Our chances for success will be better if we don't place all our eggs in one basket." Gabrielle made a good point. Too good a point. Xena knew she was right but her heart still disagreed with Gabrielle's plan.

"I don't want to leave you again." She uttered honestly, feeling some guilt for having gone to see her contact, Burell, alone. Smiling, Gabrielle squeezed her friend's arm.

"What ELSE do you think could ... never mind, don't answer that" Gabrielle responded with a gentle laugh. Focusing on the current Sunmoon situation helped Gabrielle avoid an emotional collapse. There was just no time for it. "What happened to me was my fault Xena, as it usually is. And Xena, you can't protect me ALL the time." Gabrielle asserted to her friend.

"Gabr...ugh." Xena grunted with great annoyance. She still had trouble using the name Gabriel. She couldn't ask any questions and she just lost another argument with her stubborn friend. Xena sighed and placed her hand on her friend's shoulder. Looking into Gabrielle's eyes, Xena was going to say something but was interrupted.

"I know, I know....don't get into trouble." Gabrielle looked at her, surprised when Xena shook her head no.

"I've tried to tell you that before, but you've proven that doesn't work" Xena responded glibly.

"Don't do anything stupid?" Gabrielle blurted a second obvious caution. Once again, Xena shook her head no again.

"No, but that is never bad advice." Gabrielle, out of obvious cautions, grinned and tried again.

"Don't take any wooden dinars?"

That comment finally prompted Xena to cover her friend's mouth out of frustration. Gabrielle kept interrupting and wasn't being serious enough.

"I want..." Xena started but sighed realizing she couldn't hold a serious conversation with her friend while her hand covering his...her mouth. "Will you be quiet for a minute?" She asked, uncovering Gabrielle's mouth and placing her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. Gabrielle quietly nodded yes, giving Xena a moment to look thoughtfully in her friend's eyes. The change of mood made Gabrielle uncomfortable. No one could hide the friend she knew, Xena reflected with a slight smile. Neither Gabrielle's words nor deeds could be cloaked by this masculine facade. Although, it took a while for her mind to accept this absurdity, her heart knew almost immediately. The facial expressions, mannerisms, Gabrielle's personality...all here, wrapped up in this masculine package.

"Whatever happens, I want you to come back to me." Xena spoke with great feeling and was referring to more than the problem with the Sunmoon.

"That IS the plan." Gabrielle responded honestly, though she knew that might not be possible.

With an intimacy that surprised Gabrielle, Xena slowly traced the side of Gabrielle's cheek with her fingers. Xena hoped her touch would disturb this masculine vision, as easily as causing ripples on the glassy surface of a pond, and momentarily restore the familiar face she longed to see.

This had to be a result of Hermes' spell, Gabrielle thought with growing irritation. First Esther, then Rachel, now Xena, Gabrielle sighed. "There is no way I am going to let Xena be another victim of Hermes' spell" Gabrielle silently promised. Reaching up and gently squeezing her hand, Gabrielle interrupted the caress.

"Be sure to say hello to Malosa for me." Gabrielle smiled, feeling uneasy. Xena cleared her throat, embarrassed at her display of affection, a surprise to herself and obviously unwanted by her friend.

"Sure. But I think she would prefer a visit from you ." Xena spoke evenly as she backed away, trying to push aside her feelings. As she walked towards Argo, she looked back with a half laugh.

"You know, NOW would be a great time for that visit" Xena joked, seeking her usual protection from uncomfortable situations with Gabrielle with humor.

"I wonder just how open-minded Malosa is. Do you think they would accept me as an Amazon Prince?" Gabrielle, also joked, welcoming the more comfortable banter. Xena looked at her friend with concern that Gabrielle was talking about her future as a man.

"OK, a bad joke." Xena nodded silently in agreement. However, Gabrielle had thought about that, and her Right of Caste.

Xena mounted Argo was quickly off to assess the enemy. Gabrielle left the stables with more work to do.
**************************

CHAPTER 12 - THE PRELUDE

In the morning, Gabrielle entered the brethren quarters after having asked many Sunmoon where Leo's room was.

"Leo" Gabrielle spoke to him quietly waking him up from a sound sleep. "Get up, we need to talk." She shakes him into the painful world of the conscious.

"Oh GODs....ah... ah....shhhhh." He blurts out, feeling his head throb harder than he ever thought possible. "Do you have to breath so loud?" He asks rubbing his temples. Gabrielle rolls her eyes.

"Somehow I knew you would need this." She pulls out some herbs for his hangover and makes a tea. As she hands the tea to Leo, she hears a breeze behind the tapestry in his room and a sly smile crosses her face. Leo lies back waiting for the tea to work before he attempts to get up.

"So when do we go tell Grandfather about Boean?" He asks continuing to rub his temples.

"I've requested an audience with him during his evening meal, when he is done his duties for the day and able to see visitors. To ensure we get to see him, I told his assistant that we would like to discuss me becoming a monk. Once we're received, we'll then discuss Boean." Gabrielle's confidence was a surprise to Leo.

"How do you know he will accept our word that Boean is planning to attack the Amazons?" Leo asks a good question.

"I have evidence he can't refute." Gabrielle grinned. Leo's eyes widened as he sat up quickly.

"What!?....Oh Gods." The tea not having its full effect yet, Leo lays back down quickly. "What evidence?" He repeated from a more comfortable horizontal position.

"Trust me." Gabrielle looked in his unsatisfied eyes. "Just trust me." She repeated.

Xena rode hard to reach the Amazon territory and deliver the news about the Sunmoon plans. She wanted to give Malosa every minute she could to prepare for the Sunmoon army. Xena didn't tell Gabrielle of her concern of how little time Malosa had to gather her forces. There was enough on Gabrielle's mind already. As Xena rode, despite the wind and the thundering of Argo's hooves, Xena could hear an Amazon signaling her arrival in the Amazon territory with loud bird calls. They were as cautious as ever, Xena noted. Xena pulled on Argo's reigns, stopping at the edge of the Amazon camp. From there, she was witness to the busy sights and sounds of a people preparing for war. At once she was both grateful, for they were already preparing, and sad, for there was a need for such preparations. She stared solemnly at those busy sights for a moment before taking a deep breath and riding into camp. Dismounting, Xena found someone already waiting for her. There was no time for pleasantries. Before Xena could speak, Tralya instructed her to follow her into the war tent.

"Malosa is expecting you." Inside the tent, Malosa stood with three other senior Amazons and one centaur. The centaur pointed to a map on the table which, during happier times, was used for dining celebrations.

"Our forces will be standing by here and here, well hidden. When you signal, we will be there." He promised.

"Good, if the army comes, we will need that element of surprise. We have word it is large but I still don't know how large. The scouting report on their strength hasn't come in yet." Malosa looked at him then caught Xena out of the corner of her eye. "I stand corrected." Malosa did not miss a beat.

"I really hope this is all for the Sunmoon army and not another enemy." Xena responded wryly, disclosing her surprise at their stage in planning. Despite the gravity of the situation, everyone smiled, except Malosa.

"Tell me Xena, is this Sunmoon army of thousands an exaggeration?" Malosa asked knowing if the answer was no, few of her Amazons would survive. Xena didn't need to answer. Her eyes disclosed that she couldn't answer favorably.

"No Queen Malosa. It is not an exaggeration." The others in the room looked at each other, uncertain of the future.

"They may be many, but they are not experienced." Malosa responded, successfully instilling some confidence in those taken aback by the discouraging news. Xena appreciated Malosa's skill in handling her people.

"The leader of the Sunmoon scouting party, Lerus, will be arriving on Amazon land in a day. Stopping him from murdering his men will undermine Boean's plan to provoke his own army into fighting." Xena provided more hope to Malosa's strategists. Malosa nodded. "With that and Gabrielle's efforts on her end, the battle just may be over before it has begun. But we still must plan for the worst." Malosa looked at her people and the Centaur soldier who nodded in understanding.

"How did Gabrielle get word to you?" Xena asked, appreciating her friend's move in getting the preliminary word to Malosa.

"She had a barmaid, Rachel, deliver....a letter.... to me." Malosa responded. Knowing Rachel's type, Xena wondered just what exactly Gabrielle had to do to convince Rachel to risk her life and deliver the message. Malosa turned to the others.

"Leave. I wish to talk with Xena. Alone." Malosa's tent quickly cleared. The war tent was now empty, except for the Amazon Queen and the Warrior Princess.

"The barmaid not only brought a letter." Malosa explained the reason for the private discussion as she opened finely crafted wooden box next to the table. "She also brought with her Gabrielle's staff." Malosa pulled out the folded up staff from the box and slammed it down on the map-covered table, the only evidence of her incredible anger.

"Can YOU explain why she felt it necessary to give back her Right of Caste?"

Xena eye's widened and mouth dropped. She stood silently staring at her friend's staff. Having heard Malosa's words but with too many thoughts invading her mind, she didn't....couldn't, answer.

"Perhaps you can get more of an answer out of her letter than I could." Malosa cold tone warmed slightly, seeing Xena was caught just as off-guard with Gabrielle's actions as she. Placing the letter next to the staff, Malosa sighed. "We WILL talk about this later." The queen left Xena to read her friend's letter.

Xena now alone, stared at her friend's staff and letter. Reaching to the middle of the table, she took the letter and opened it. She first looked at the end of the letter. Her fingers gently touched the parchment where "Gabrielle of Potedia" was scripted in her friend's beautiful handwriting. Taking a deep breath, Xena read Gabrielle's letter.

To Queen Malosa,
I write to you with great concern for my Amazon sisters. There is a movement by the Sunmoon, lead by Boean, Grandson of the Founder Sunal, to destroy the Amazons. With Amazon arrows and Boean's word, the Sunmoon believe the deaths of two Sunmoon were by Amazon hands.
Boean has convinced the Sunmoon pacifists an army is necessary for self defense. Boean plans to provoke this army into attacking the Amazons by murdering a small Sunmoon scouting platoon on Amazon land to flame their anger. From the massive recruiting efforts undergone by the Sunmoon, we estimate over 2500 soldiers. We hope to get a more information which Xena will deliver.
I will not be with Xena as there is a good chance the majority of the Sunmoon can be persuaded out of this foolishness. Loyalty to Boean is tenuous, based on his lies about the Amazons. If the Sunmoon learn the truth, I believe Boean will loose his influence with the army, and the threat will be eliminated. I am in a unique position to help a Sunmoon ally, Leo, brother of Boean, expose the truth. While I am unable, Xena can explain my unique position to you.
As you have taught me, I have contemplated the worst case. If I fail you and my Amazon sisters, the full army will be marching against you. You will need Xena's help to prepare and to fight. Xena will wish to return to Corerik to help me but there is no time. She will better help us both by staying at your side. Perhaps you will be able to convince her of this truth.
The worst case, will also mean my death. As an Amazon Princess, I know what is expected of me. However, in my current situation, I know not how to accomplish my duty without bringing dishonor to the Amazons and the memory of Terrais. I also know by not passing on the Right of Caste upon my death, I will also bring dishonor to the Amazons and Terrais. There is only one way I can think of to protect Terrais' precious gift. I do not know if current Amazon law allows this, but as Queen, I hope you will see that I only wish to do the right thing and will allow it. Therefore, I entrust to you, Malosa, Queen of the Amazons and Sister of Terrais, the Right of Caste, given to me by Terrais. I do this so that you may grant the Right of Caste to another who can carry out her duty with the honor that is required and justly, demanded. With a heavy heart, but immeasurable respect, I do this.
Gabrielle
of Potedia

TO BE CONTINUED....



Chapters Thriteen and Fourteen.