Disclaimers

Copyright: This story is copyrighted to the author Ó 1999 by T.Novan. Do not use any part of this story without my written permission. I may be contacted at TNOVAN@aol.com

Sex: This story contains scenes of two women making love. <smile> If this offends you, please don’t read my story. There are plenty of other wonderful stories out there.

Violence: There are scene of violence in this piece. If that offends please move on.

Comments: As always welcomed at TNOVAN@aol.com

 

 

The Claiming of Ford

By T.Novan

LOG THIRTY-FOUR

Marra sat in silence, watching Ford across the expanse of their dinner table. She waited for her spouse to say something other than to request a food item. It was going to be a long wait.

They both continued to eat in silence, stealing glances at each other when they thought the other wasn’t looking. The staff came in and out, serving and clearing without a word. They tension between the Lord and Lady of the house was enough to make them want to be out of the room as quickly as possible.

At the close of the meal, Ford found her coffee and desert placed in front of her. She looked up to Marra and smiled. "Cheesecake?"

"I thought you might enjoy it." She offered quietly, sipping her tea.

"Thank you." Ford sat back in her chair. She pulled her napkin from her lap and dropped it to the table. "Why don’t you come down here and join me."

"Are you sure you want to be that close to me?"

Ford drew a deep breath, removed the verbal dagger from her chest, and picked up her plates then moved to take a seat next to Marra. "I am very sure." She held open her hand, offering it to Marra. "I’m sorry. I’m sorry I got angry at you."

"I didn’t mean to make you angry." Marra placed her hand in Ford’s. "I thought you would be happy to have an heir."

"In time, I’m sure I will get accustomed to the concept."

"But you’re still not happy about it?"

"Marra, having an heir forces me to take on responsibilities that I’m not capable of."

"Such as?"

"Caring for an infant for one thing. I don’t have a clue how to do anything for a baby."

"If you would allow it," Marra dropped her eyes, a tear splashing on the table, reducing Ford’s view of herself by another notch. "I would very much like to help with this child when it arrives. I had hoped to be important in it’s life as well."

"Oh yes, you will be very important in this child’s life. You give it life you will have a say in how it is raised. You’re going to have to teach me how to do it also." She sighed, knowing she had to make the admission. "Marra, I’m scared because I’m a fighter, not a mother. I’ll probably hurt the poor little thing if I even try to hold it."

"Nonsense. These hands are capable of great gentleness and this heart," Her hand found its way to Ford’s chest. "Knows nothing but tenderness. You have nothing to be frightened of. You’re going to be a wonderful mother."

"With your help?"

"All that you desire."

Ford’s head dropped, shaking slightly. "I’m going to be so bad at this."

* * *

Ford watched Marra fuss with the little gold beast. It twisted it’s head from side to side refusing the bottle that it was offered.

"Come on now. You want it, you know you want it." She griped at it, trying to hold it a little firmer in her grasp.

"Let me try." The tall woman held out her hands. Marra eagerly passed off the beast. Ford allowed it to wrap it’s tail around her forearm then she let it hang upside down by holding her arm out. After a moment she offered it the bottle and it began eating.

"And you’re concerned about getting a baby to eat? Please." Marra rolled her eyes.

"Babies do not hang by the tail of their own accord. You have to cuddle them and be tender with them. Sometimes the best way to get a serpentine to eat is to be rough with it."

"The point is, my dear, that you are a caregiver. You’ve just never thought of yourself that way because it was for the serpentines and not another of your own kind."

"Huh, whaddya know." A crooked smile broke across Ford’s features while she held the bottle for the little beast. "But that doesn’t change the fact that you’re going to have to help me. Speaking of which, come here."

Marra moved closer, Ford placed her hand on the smaller woman’s shoulder for support while the beast continued to eat. "We make a pretty good team."

"We make a great team, Ford Kurrathian and don’t you forget it." The blonde teased, leaning in a bit to give her spouse a kiss.

"No Ma’am. I won’t. Although I think you might be a better warrior than I will be a mother."

"Together, we’ll be fine."

The serpentine finished the bottle then folded it’s wings around it’s body, hiding behind them and falling promptly asleep hanging from Ford’s arm.

"Oh no you don’t." The tall woman pried the tiny golden tail from her arm, placing the beast into the nest with it’s gathering mate. She noticed the gold one was still very small in comparison to the black one, which had almost tripled in size and was nearly the same size as the one that had been left with Phoenix and Neyta. "It seems healthy enough, but it’s very small isn’t it?"

"Yes. It doesn’t seem to be growing at all. Have you ever seen such a thing?"

"Never. I’m glad we got two healthy ones out of the mating, because this little gold one is worthless."

"No life is worthless Ford." She turned, smiling at her spouse and caressing Ford’s cheek. "You taught me that. You taught me that when you took me from Danils ship and made me a part of your life. We just need to figure out where this little one belongs in the scheme of things."

"I’m pretty good at figuring out what to do with the little ones of the litter." Ford grinned down at her wife.

* * *

The transport stopped in front of the ship. Ford took a deep breath, glancing at Marra, "Ready my dear?"

"Absolutely."

Ford waited for the door to open then stepped out of the transport, offering her hand to Marra. Then entire staff and crew of the Exploration Ship Odyssey stood at the ready, prepared to welcome Lord and Lady Kurrathian to what would be their home, no doubt for some time to come.

Garron Richards, stepped forward. "Ambassador, we are honored to have you and the First Wife aboard. We hope to serve you both with dignity and honor."

"You already have Garron. I’m sure that our journey and our mission will be blessed by Capri and we shall indeed find that which we seek." She smiled at the young man, offering him her hand.

"Thank you Ambassador." The young commander shook the tall woman’s hand, nodding slightly, then glancing to Marra with a smile. "Your quarters are ready and we are at your command for departure. Just give the word Ambassador."

"The word is given Garron. We depart at your leisure."

Ford retook Marra’s hand and the couple was escorted onto the ship. Ford inquired quietly. "Odyssey? What an odd name, darling. What made you choose it?"

"From one of the books I read while we where home. From Earth, from a poem by a Greek poet named Homer. It seemed appropriate. I was honored when you asked me to name the ship. I wanted to give it a name that was worthy of you and your explorer spirit."

"I wish I had half of your strength, courage and wisdom."

Marra blushed at her spouse’s praise. "Funny, I think the same thing about you every morning when I wake up next to you."

***

Ford groaned, hanging her cloak on a hook. She rolled her shoulders, then her head, listening to the bones crack and pop. "It has been a long day." She grumbled, heading for the couch where she promptly tossed her body, letting it fall limply into the cushions.

"Yes, it has been." Marra agreed, following Ford’s lead. She sat close to her wife and pulled her head into her lap.

"Should we have something to eat or should we just go to bed?"

"Well I…"

Before Marra could finish, Ford shot up. "How stupid was that?" She turned to Marra. "We should eat. You and the baby need to…"

Marra tried to stifle the chuckle, but couldn’t.

"What?" Ford threw her hands up.

"I was just about to suggest we do both. We could take something to bed with us."

"Then let’s do so, because my love, I am exhausted. Between the introductions of the crew and staff and the inspections of the ship I had to do today I’m so tired I am about to collapse."

***

Ford held Marra gently against her. The blonde fed the tall woman another piece of fruit, which was accepted eagerly. "Hmm that is so good. This was a wonderful idea."

"I’m glad you approve." Marra slipped a piece of the fruit between her lips, then climbed on top of Ford.

The offer was made and taken without hesitation. Ford captured the fruit, taking half of it. Then the kiss began, slowly. It worked itself into a slow, deep exploration. Ford brought her hands up, cupping Marra’s face holding her gingerly through the kiss.

Marra sighed when the kiss finally ended, looking into dark blue eyes that were now clearly projecting Ford’s arousal. "Thought you were tired."

"I was. Now I’m something else. My right to change my mind. Besides, you can’t lay here on top of me like this and not expect me to get a little charged up."

The small woman ran her hand up and down Ford’s chest. "Just a little charged up? I’m doing something so totally wrong." She smirked, leaving her palm over a breast, rubbing gentle circles.

"No, you’re not." Ford’s voice was strained, when she closed her eyes and licked her lips. "Trust me, you’re doing everything just right."

"Glad to hear it Lord Kurrathian."

"Enough talk."

***

Ford kissed Marra’s brow as their bodies settled down together in the softness of their bed. Between their rather heated exchange and the fact the environmental controls on the ship were just a bit out of whack, it was far too warm for covers. So they lay there together, just relaxing with the covers tossed as far across the room as Ford could get them.

"You know," Marra caressed the valley between Ford’s breasts, pushing aside the dampness she found there. "If the temperature should happen to go to the other end of the scale at some point tonight, we’re going to regret that fact our blankets are all the way over there."

"If we need them I’ll get them later." Ford sighed, pulling Marra closer. She was quiet for a long time, trying the best way to figure to ask her next question. "Marra?"

"Yes."

"Is the baby a boy or a girl?"

"Yes." Marra chuckled.

The tall woman looked down at the head lying on her shoulder. "You know what I mean. Did the doctor give me a son or a daughter?"

"I didn’t ask."

"Oh."

"Does it matter?"

"No."

"You were just curious?"

"Yes."

"We can ask him if you really want to know." She pulled Ford’s hand to her lips, placing a kiss to her knuckles.

"Do you want to know?"

"No. I thought it would be fun to find out when it arrives. But if you want to know I will ask the doctor."

"No. If I want to know, I’ll ask the doctor. No need for you to know if you don’t want to."

Marra smiled to herself then turned her face to her spouse. "You do care."

"I love you. Of course I care." Ford huffed a little, uncomfortable with being caught.

 

TBC…

 


Return to The Claiming of Ford / The Bard's Corner