Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Well, goddammit."

Kaitlyn hissed and yanked her wrists hard against the metal pipe. The knots refused to budge, just like the previous several dozen attempts. "You know . . . how cliched does this get?"

Janice rolled her eyes and tried futilely to stretch out the kinks in her legs. She threw a longing glance toward her gun, which had been tossed in a far corner of the cold stone basement. "It’s not your fault, kid."

"Yeah, yeah . . . lucky for us he was too stupid to search us thoroughly, huh?" With a grimace, the linguist folded her left leg back, shoving it behind Janice and ignoring her protesting tendons.

"Ow . . . hey!" burst out Janice in a protest of her own.

"Kaitlyn!" Mel exclaimed.

"Aw, she’ll be fine. Stop whining, Covington . . . can you reach my boot knife?" Kaitlyn glanced over her left shoulder toward Janice, expectant.

"Yeah, yeah . . . I think so." Janice ignored the pain that streaked up her arms when she strained against the ropes binding her. Twisting her wrists, she probed beneath the rough leather edge of Kaitlyn’s well-worn boots, searching until her fingers brushed metal. "Got it." She fumbled the knife out, nicking the linguist’s ankle in the process.

"Hey now! The ropes, not me!" When Janice took a chunk of skin off her ankle, Kaitlyn jerked back against the pipe, knocking her hat forward over her face. Bad enough it was dark in here, but it was absolutely impossible to see a thing through thick black wool. She blinked against the itchy fabric, muttering things in French that made Mel blush.

"Come on, come on . . ." Janice flipped the knife up between her fingers and, swearing, started to saw at her binds. The robe slowly gave way beneath the keen little blade, breaking, fiber by fiber, with painful slowness. She felt the tension on the knots beginning to ease . . . a little bit . . . a little bit more . . . just a little—there! The last strand snapped against the knife, and Janice scrambled free. "That was too easy," she remarked with a cocky grin as she cut Mel free, then Kaitlyn.

The linguist got up and pushed her hat back up off her face, grinning teasingly. "Showoff."

They got the last of the ropes off and rubbed at their chafed wrists. Janice handed the boot knife back to Kaitlyn, who once again tucked it away into its sheath. "Handy thing. Thanks again, kid."

"Any time."

"Now wait just one minute," Mel interrupted primly. "How are we going to get up to the library again? We can’t use the main stairs, you know." She straightened out the oversized pair of trousers she was wearing, courtesy of Kaitlyn’s father’s closet.

"First things first," her lover replied. "Our new friend’s still outside the door."

"Not for long," Kaitlyn growled. "I’m about to go out there and give him a piece of my fist . . . tying us up in the basement like . . ." She stalked toward the door, but two pairs of hands dragged her back.

"Whoa there, Miss Confrontational!" warned Janice. "You want him alerting the whole damn place?"

"You got a better idea to get us out of here, Covington?" Kaitlyn snapped back.

"No, but I do," Mel cut in, a smile accentuating the glinting blue eyes that gazed across the basement to the ladder—recently installed in the far wall, but rather flimsy-looking—that disappeared through a dark hatch in the ceiling. "Tour of the maintenance passageways, anyone?"

It was cramped, and musty, and dark as hell . . . just like an ancient tomb, except without all the dead people. Janice felt right at home.

Except that all she wanted to do was to get the Scrolls back, and get out of there.

Swearing, she swatted a thick spiderweb out of her way and kept crawling. The beam from Kaitlyn’s army-issue flashlight extended in front of her by a good ten feet and illuminated nothing but more stone, more dust, and more damned spiderwebs before the its ragged edge dissipated into the darkness. The three kept on crawling, silent, making slow but steady progress.

After another ten minutes or so, the tunnel split into a T-shape, branching off into two passages perpendicular to the original.

"Great. Which way now?" Janice whispered.

Kaitlyn bit her lip, and urgency won out over extra caution. "Split up," she suggested. "Pick one passage, I’ll take the other. But you two stick together, got it?"

The archaeologist studied her friend worriedly. "Can you handle whatever might happen, kid?"

Even in the poor light, there was no mistaking the stubborn set of Kaitlyn’s jaw. "Don’t worry about me," she reiterated. "We have to find those Scrolls. Now pick a tunnel to go down before I flip a goddamn coin!"

For the briefest moment, Mel felt her consciousness recede. It flooded back again, loaded with decision, before she’d even fully realized it had gone. "Left-hand one," she declared.

"Mel Pappas has spoken. Looks like you’re going to the right, kid," mumbled Janice.

The linguist pulled her hat down tight. "Take the flashlight. And this. You might need it." She handed the heavy, ridged cylindrical light over to Janice and pressed a cold, slim metal object into Mel’s hand. "I’m off. See you in the library?"

Mel looked down with some alarm at the folding knife that rested in her palm. "Kaitlyn," she protested, "I can’t take this!"

"I’ve got more, if that’s what you’re worried about. Look, Mel, you don’t have to use it on anyone, okay? I’m just saying it might come in handy. You never know."

"Well . . . all right." The Southerner reluctantly agreed, and gripped Kaitlyn’s hand briefly. "See you there. Be careful."

"I’ll worry about being careful when we get the Scrolls back," was the grim reply. "My fault we lost them in the first place." Kaitlyn crept off down the crawlway, shooting a purposeful look over her shoulder before she went.

Janice laid a hand on Mel’s shoulder. "She’ll be fine," she reassured her lover—and herself too, if she had to be honest about it. "Kid’s got more tricks up her sleeves than . . ." She trailed off, eyes widening in surprise as another connection to the Scrolls fell into place. Kaitlyn had said something about a Greek ancestor, hadn’t she . . . ?

The blue of Mel’s eyes froze her gaze and drew it in. "Autolycus?" they whispered in amazed unison.

"She was right," stammered Janice. "I don’t believe it."

Mel nudged her lover. "Genealogies can wait. We’ve got business."

"You got it. Let’s go." The archaeologist nodded and switched the flashlight over to her left hand, and the two women headed down the left-hand tunnel.

It wasn’t much longer before they saw light trickling through a gratelike opening at one side of the tunnel.

"Bingo," Janice muttered. As a precautionary measure, she switched off the flashlight and peered through the heavy iron grating. Features that resembled a large empty bathroom fought their way into her vision, past the obstructing iron.

Damn. How to get that pesky thing out without making noise? Callused fingertips traced along the grate’s outline, searching out screws and finding none. "I’ll have to kick it out . . . here goes nothing."

"Wait just a second." Mel reached out to unhook the whip from Janice’s belt.

"Hey!"

"Oh, be patient, now." The translator carefully worked the tip of the whiplash between two iron bars, securing the lash around the grating in a loose but solid knot. She took hold of the braided leather and nodded. "Now . . . go ahead."

Even in the darkness, Janice’s eyes sparkled with pride. "Good thinking, sweetie." Bracing herself against the stone, she lashed out with both feet against the grate. The first time, she felt it loosen, and on the second attempt it came free and swung back against the wall with a muffled thud as Mel pulled back on the whiplash—there must’ve been a towel rack hanging there, or something. The translator slowly drew the heavy piece of iron up into the crawlway, undid the knot, recoiled the whip, and handed it back to Janice.

They waited, holding their breath for a few moments, but no one entered. Janice worried about anyone who might be sneaking down the hallway, though. She’d feel much better to know that she could just draw her Magnum and plug any hapless idiot who blundered in, but gunshots would be a very bad idea, especially now that they were supposedly tied up in the basement.

Well. She could always through the flashlight at them if she had to. She didn’t think Kaitlyn would mind, and it’d buy her time to get her whip ready, anyway.

If the odds weren’t too bad.

Nerves. What a royal pain in the ass they can be. The archaeologist sighed and crept to the edge of the ventilation shaft. "Ready?" She received Mel’s silent confirmation. "Let’s go then."

Janice let herself drop to the tiled floor as silently as she could, gritting her teeth when pain shot up through her legs from the impact. As she moved around the bathroom, inspecting every corner and even the inside of the giant clawfoot tub, Mel landed soundlessly behind her.

The tall Southerner tiptoed over to the door and pressed her ear against it. "Nothing," she reported in a whisper. "I think it’s safe."

"You sure?"

"As sure as I can be."

"Okay, then. Come on."

Mel nodded at Janice, took hold of the doorknob, and twisted it as slowly as she could. As soon as the latch was clear, she eased the door open just a crack, peered down the hallway, paused, and finally opened the door enough to poke her head through. A pair of bespectacled blue eyes scanned the length of the hall. "Nothing," she said again, once she was safe behind the bathroom door. "It’s clear."

Janice chewed a knuckle thoughtfully. "Any idea where we are?"

"Well, I can’t tell just from one quick look, but I guess we’re on the second floor. Now let’s go!" Mel took her shorter lover by the shoulders and steered her impatiently toward the door.

They slipped into the hallway with a stealth that would have made their ancestors proud, and headed off in search of the library and, hopefully, the Scrolls.

Kaitlyn growled at the rat that had just run across her hand and knocked it away. It hit the wall with a meaty thunk.

"Rodents. This place is crawling with rodents . . . and I don’t just mean your furry little relatives," she told the dead creature. She paused and rubbed her left knee. It was tender and a bit swollen from the hard stone. "Speaking of crawling, I’m getting damn sick of it." She’d turned so many corners now that she’d lost track and completely lost her bearings. She kept crawling down the tunnel anyway.

It wasn’t long before she came across an end to the tunnel, and a ladder that led downward. Damn. Well, it’s the end of the tunnel. What have I got to lose? She took hold of the topmost rung and let herself down.

"Velasquez." Her feet had barely hit the floor when a mocking voice behind her made her stiffen. "Don’tcha ever learn?"

Gods, she thought wildly, if I make it out of this with half a nerve left, it’ll be a damn miracle! Forcing her muscles to stay as still as possible, she reached up her left sleeve to loosen the sheathed throwing knife strapped to her forearm.

"Ah ah ah . . ." A round dropped into the chamber of the shotgun she was aimed at her back. "Hands where I can see ‘em, an’ turn around."

Swearing under her breath in Cornish, Kaitlyn complied. Sure enough, the jerk leering at her was Scarface, and the weapon in his hand was the 12-gauge shotgun. She gulped and tried not to think about the nasty hole it would likely punch through her chest.

"Finally noticed our getaway, huh?" she spat. "You bought a clue after all . . . how much’d it cost you?"

He glared at her. "Funny. Get movin’."

"Where to? I always wanted an armed escort." He’d dropped his cultured pronunciation, so the linguist threw her sarcastic comment at him in an exaggerated drawl.

Scarface lunged forward and rammed the shotgun barrel into Kaitlyn’s stomach. "Smartass! We’ve had enough’a ya, Velasquez!"

"Oh," Kaitlyn retorted, "having delusions of royalty now, are you?" She winced. Her stomach was on fire from the pain of the blow he’d just dealt her.

The savage grin she saw turned her spine to ice. "Out to the back, Velasquez. I’m gonna make sure you never get in the way again."

Kaitlyn gulped one more time and started walking, as the scarred thug gleefully prodded her with the shotgun every few steps. Oh boy. She only hoped Mel and Janice would get to the Scrolls on time.

Chapter Thirty

"Mel, I swear, how big is this place?" Janice complained. "It can’t be that hard to find the library, can it?" If the ventilation shaft had seemed long, this hallway was interminable.

Mel’s expression was slightly pained. "Do you trust me, Janice?"

Shit. "I do, Mel," Janice apologized quickly. "I do . . . I’m sorry." Amazing, how easy it was to say those words now. "Just getting edgy . . . I want those Scrolls back!"

The Southerner glanced around, then leaned forward to kiss her lover’s forehead. "So do I," she reminded Janice with a forgiving smile.

They passed an elaborately carved marble table, a reproduction of a frieze from the Sistine Chapel—Mel remembered, wistfully, having seen the original years ago as a child—and rounded a corner. Still more hallway . . . but it was much wider here, well lighted with a thick red carpet, adorned with fleurs-de-lis in gold thread, underfoot.

Janice’s eyes widened. "Swanky."

"Ostentatious," declared Mel. "Janice . . . look!" She pointed ahead of them, to where a broad square of light spilled onto the carpet from an open doorway.

The two women moved quickly now, almost running across the sound-dampening carpet toward the doorway, past more of Michelangelo’s Biblical scenes. Skidding to a halt just before the doorway, Janice peered into the room and caught an eyeful of wall-to-wall bookshelves that reached nearly from floor to ceiling. Her green eyes glinted. "Mel, I love you."

A warming look from ice-blue eyes sparkled back at her. "I know."

"Ow . . . hey, easy, I’m going!" Kaitlyn complained, stumbling as the shotgun muzzle left another bruise on her back. That’s gonna look nasty later on!

Scarface ignored her protests and opened the sliding door—probably the same one they’d found on their first break-in attempt, with their luck—before shoving Kaitlyn out into the yard.

The linguist was aching all over, and blood trickled into her left eye from the cut she’d gotten when she’d tripped on the stairs and hit her head on the edge of a particularly rough step. And it hadn’t helped much that her captor had just kicked and prodded at her until she’d gotten back up.

Out here behind the house, the grounds were vast—even in the stark light of the waning moon, Kaitlyn couldn’t make out the gates. She grimaced when another jab from the shotgun sent pain screaming through her body.

The house itself was just a low, dark outline in the night by now, barely visible behind Scarface, who’d leveled the gun at her head and was grinning widely.

Bastard. He has the audacity to smirk at me like that, a time like this? Maybe it was entirely the wrong time for this, but Kaitlyn was getting annoyed. "You know, with a cannon like that they’re still gonna hear you in there," she bluffed, jerking her chin toward the Gothic silhouette.

Scarface snorted. "Doesn’t matter. No one else will. ‘Sides, nobody around here’ll object to seein’ ya outta the way. Won’t be long now, but I’m feelin’ nice . . ."

"Really? That’s a first," Kaitlyn drawled, hoping that sheer bravado would cover up the sickening feeling crystallizing her guts.

"Shaddap! Or I might change my mind! You got one last request, Velasquez, ‘fore I off ya, so what’ll it be?"

"Well . . ." Her tired brain raced frantically. One last chance . . . I better make it a good one.

Mel and Janice slipped into the library and quickly ducked behind a wide desk. In the center of the room, two men were bent over the scrollcase, trying to make out the inscription that a young Southern belle had translated with such ease.

So the Scrolls were safe for now—it looked like they wouldn’t be destroyed until after they’d been deciphered. It eased Janice’s mind a bit, and she was about to relax against the desk . . . but a flash of bronze against the far wall caught her eye and kindled a new rage in the pit of her stomach.

"Mel, look!" The pattern was right . . . the era matched up . . . she knew that design. She’d spent a futile, maddening half year searching for it.

Mounted in a glass case against the wall hung the tattered remains of a black leather gambeson and what could only be Xena’s armor.

Mel’s hand tightened around her partner’s wrist in a nearly bone-crushing grip. To the left of the display was another identical case. This one contained Gabrielle’s Amazon leathers, the Queen’s Mask, and her staff.

"The plundered tombs at the ’40 Amphipolis dig . . . it was them?" the archaeologist whispered furiously. "They stole all the goddamned evidence!"

"C’mon, ya no-good piece of unnatural trash, what’ll it be?"

The accent was really starting to grate. The pronunciation was horrendous and nasal. Kaitlyn suddenly remembered a disastrous incident when she’d been fifteen. It had hearned her a whole lot of trouble—and a hell of a tongue lashing—back then, but it just might save her now . . .

"In that case," she said slowly, "mind if I have a last smoke and drink?"

Scarface gave her a superior stare. "Eh . . . go ahead. Enjoy yer filthy little vices one last time, an’ make it good."

"Oh, believe me . . . I always make it good." The graduate student snarled wordlessly and reached inside her trenchcoat for the lighter in her pants pocket.

"Hey." Scarface gestured at her with the shotgun. "Toss the gun first. I know ‘s in there."

"Oh, good. You’re learning. You might make a decent thug someday after all, eh?"" Kaitlyn countered with a superior stare of her own, but pulled the Colt automatic from its holster and tossed it aside anyway. "Happy now?"

"Not yet, but once yer done with that . . ." The unspoken promise lingered in the air.

"Then as much as I hate to say it . . . thank you." Kaitlyn fished out her lighter with one hand and simultaneously retrieved her cigarette case with the other, flipping a Dunhill from the slim silver case and into her mouth in one motion. Lighting it with a flourish, she put the accessories away into the pockets they’d come from, and brought out her hip flask.

"So," she began conversationally, "since you’re going to kill me anyway, mind telling me what your boss is up to, stealing the Scrolls?" She took a long drag off her cigarette, watching the glowing outline creep a little closer toward her fingers and suppressing the urge to flick off the ash left in its wake.

Scarface snarled. "What do you think I am, stupid?"

Kaitlyn shrugged, took another drag, and watched the ash lengthen. "Actually, yes, I did, but anyway. Can you blame me for being curious?" She popped the cap off her hip flask and swirled it. "What with your bunch following us around and all . . . smashing up my house and threatening us . . . couldn’t help but wonder, y’know." She exhaled a cloud of smoke and tossed back a gulp of scotch.

The thug looked at her. "If you’d cooperated in the first place, we wouldn’t have had to." He sounded almost sulky, like a child.

"Cooperated?" The ash had burned about halfway down the cigarette by now. "Yeah, well, I like to give people a hard time." She started to pace a bit, edging herself a bit closer to the thug on every round.

"Shows." He noticed the smoke wisping between Kaitlyn’s fingers, and the rapidly burning cigarette. "Aren’t you gonna flick th’ash off that thing?"

"Oh yeah, that . . ." Kaitlyn pulled in a mouthful of smoke so fast it made her throat tear, blew it hard into his face, and lunged forward, knocking the ample hot ash into Scarface’s eyes. A quick flick of her wrist at the same time doused the front of his shirt with alcohol. "Thanks for reminding me!" She jammed the lit cigarette into the scotch-soaked fabring and jumped back as it caught on fire.

The thug howled in agony as the flames licked up to sear his clothing, his limbs twitching in mindless reaction to the pain. His arm jerked up, the shotgun muzzle pointed into the sky, and Kaitlyn spun, whipping a vicious kick into his jaw. He winced, and the shotgun went off, cracking the night.

Another kick knocked the discharged weapon from the thug’s hand, and a hard uppercut dumped him, unconscious, to the ground. Kaitlyn swatted the flames off her pant leg, cursing, and rolled the man onto his stomach to extinguish his burning clothing. She scooped up the shotgun quickly and cracked him in the head with it, giving him a disgusted look before grabbing her own handgun off the ground and sprinting back toward the house.

"Well, Dad," she announced to the wind, "seeing as how I’m still alive now, I hope you don’t mind having had to paint over the scorch marks in the living room that one time. But still . . ." The linguist heaved a martyrial sigh. "Now, like then, it was a damn waste of a good Glenfiddich."

Mel and Janice, still crouched behind the desk, heard the gunshot and the scream. They tensed in shock and looked at one another.

"I hope Kaitlyn’s all right," Mel whispered.

"Wasn’t her voice . . . she should be okay . . . oh no, you don’t!" Janice exploded from a whisper to a full-out bellow and launched herself from behind the desk, hurtling toward the two men, who’d grabbed the scrollcase and started to run at the sound of gunfire. She yanked the whip from her belt, threw her arm forward, and sent twelve feet of braided leather hissing through the air to wrap around the ankle of the man carrying the scrollcase.

Janice pulled back hard, knocking both her victim and the other man to the ground and sending the scrollcase flying into the air. "Mel, catch!" She grabbed the case and tossed it to her partner, who fielded it like a natural.

Mel clutched the scrollcase and wheeled for the door, only to see three men charge in from the hallway—where they’d come from, she didn’t think she wanted to know. "Maybe not . . . oops!" She ducked the arm that swung at her and stomped on the foot that, she hoped, was attached to the same body as the arm was.

It was, and it gave her a chance to back up and kick the man sharply in the shin. Janice, meanwhile, was busy with the first two men. She’d be on her own.

The tallest of the three, an ugly character with a hooked nose and dirty, stringy hair, eyed Mel’s ill-fitting trousers and oversized black shirt with scornful amusement. "Doing your part for the country, are you, Rosie the Riveter?"

Mel’s face hardened, and for a moment she looked every inch her ancestor, right down to the danger that radiated from her gaze. "More so than you are," she told him levelly, over the pained yelp that came from where Janice’s roundhouse punch had just split open someone’s chin. She lunged forward on pure instinct and drove her free elbow into his face, winced as she heard his nose crunch, and ducked past his two buddies into the hallway.

"Back . . . back . . . go back, Mel!" Kaitlyn was barreling down from the far end of the hallway, blood on her face and a shotgun in her hand. Hot on her heels were four more thugs.

The translator needed no further prompting. She turned and bolted back for the doorway, creating a rather spectacular domino effect as she crashed headlong into the three thugs who’d decided to linger in the doorway.

Kaitlyn tore into the room about then, her pursuers right behind. The linguist pivoted and swung the shotgun like a club, catching two of them across the chin. Another vicious jab planted the butt of the firearm into one thug’s stomach, and when he doubled over, Kaitlyn slammed it across the backs of his knees.

The stringy-haired thug had recovered and was reaching out to grab Mel, when leather wrapped stingingly around his wrist and jerked him around—straight into the path of Janice’s fist.

"No one hurts my Mel, you got that?" the blonde spitfire told him savagely, just before dispatching him with an uppercut.

"Thanks, love." Mel grinned and tripped up another thug.

"Welcome." Janice’s eyes glinted, and without missing a beat, she brought a foot up into the thug’s chest, knocking the wind clean out of him.

Kaitlyn jumped onto the shoulders of the man she’d downed and used him as a springboard onto the tabletop. Her right leg lashed out, and a pair of brass bookends quickly found its way into two more men’s chests.

She was on the upper ground here. Having the upper ground is a good thing; you gain a better vantage point than your enemy. And from the tabletop, Kaitlyn caught a glimpse of the display case that hung over the library door.

A long, slightly curving, samurai-style sword, with rudimentary lightning patterns etched into its blade, glinted at her from behind the glass. Above it, a silver torc was similarly mounted, tiny rubies glittering in the eyes of its eagles’-head terminals.

"Son of a bitch," she breathed as the shock of recognition ripped through her. There was no mistaking that design.

Rhonwyn’s torc, and her sword Lludchen.

Chapter Thirty-One

Mel, still clutching the scrollcase, saw Kaitlyn standing transfixed on the tabletop, completely oblivious to the man sneaking up behind her. Move, come on! she pleaded mentally, annoyed at seeing the dynamic young woman standing so uncharacteristically stock-still. Kaitlyn’s hands were hanging at her sides, her eyes glassy and her mouth gaping in sickened shock.

Poor girl. She obviously hadn’t taken too well to finding her ancestor’s belongings in Dobson’s possession. And at any other time, Mel would have let her live through her shock at her own pace . . . but a thug was drawing a bead on the linguist right now.

Mel had opened her mouth and was about to shout a warning when a fist just as unexpected came crashing into her face and sent her flying into one of the display cases.

The pain from her impact against the second display case was lost in the tingle of sensation that flooded through her body. Glass shattered, and the sound of Janice’s grunt as the archaeologist crashed into the last remaining case was muffled by the weight of bronze and the smell of old leather falling over the Southerner’s head.

Familiar.

She was dimly aware of feathers tickling her neck, but it was the feel of the hardened length of wood, pulsing with a curious energy, that triggered memory, and her fingers closed easily around it in a practiced grasp. Instinct and training flooded back in the space of a breath, and the bard leaped to her feet, brandishing her staff.

"Xena!" she barked, glancing down at the crumpled figure beside her. "Get up!" No time to wonder why they were dressed as they were; the men advancing on the prostrate form in the doorway would show no mercy to their prey.

"I’m here, Gabrielle." The warrior stood, and brushed the shards of glass off her body, ignoring the cuts on her arms and back.

"About time." Emerald eyes sparkled purposefully, and together they approached the men from behind.

He’d seen the shotgun hurtle into the air when his blow landed, flying to smash open the glass case above the door and dumping its contents to the ground. The kid in the fedora lay unconscious in the doorway, where she’d fallen after his kick had knocked her off the table.

Easy target. The others would make short work of her.

But from where he stood, he couldn’t see the kid’s fingers twitch and reach out for the hilt of the sword.

He never saw what happened next, anyway; a piercing cry filled his ears just before a flying scissor kick took him down.

Xena landed on the table and quickly somersaulted off again, keening her battle yell and hitting the ground next to Gabrielle, whose staff had already laid low two of the men. She’d grabbed one more by the front of his strange shirt and was about to introduce his throat to the heel of her hand when a familiar, unexpected voice spoke.

"I believe this is mine?"

The tone was cultured, level, well-modulated. Rhonwyn? There was no doubt about the accent, the intonation. But the appearance was something else altogether.

The young woman who spoke in Rhonwyn’s voice gripped Lludchen in the Druid’s singular way, and a silver torc dangled from her left hand. Slowly, she spread the ends of the ornament and fitted it about her throat. Ruby-eyed eagles glinted at Xena and Gabrielle there, in a pale imitation of the fire burning in the girl’s eyes; a fire like only Rhonwyn possessed.

The two remaining men stood motionless, held at the mercy of the swordpoint and the steely look aimed at them. Rhonwyn glanced past them and smiled. The smile was an expression so unique to the young Druid that Xena and Gabrielle recognized her despite her completely unfamiliar features.

"Hello again, old friends," Rhonwyn said, in her typically deadpan way, as though this encounter weren’t taking place in the middle of a fight.

Gabrielle grinned. "Good to have you back."

"Just like ancient times," came the wry response. In a move as quick as her sword’s namesake, Rhonwyn lashed out with the flat of Lludchen’s blade, dropping one man with a blow to the temple just as Xena’s fist let fly into the last man’s face.

"Hey, Xena?" asked the bard uncertainly.

"Yeah, Gabrielle?"

"What are we doing here?"

The warrior shook her head. "You know, I’m not quite sure, but . . ." The faintest of sounds caught her attention, down the hallway somewhere. "Wonder about it later, ‘cause I think I hear more coming. No, wait . . . just one." She tensed to spring.

"Blessed Brigid!" exclaimed Rhonwyn. "Will they never have done?"

Ice-blue eyes caught and held the Druid’s. "No," Xena told her grimly. "I hate to say it, but some people will never learn."

"What is the meaning of this?" Dobson’s voice exploded into the library. Shock grew on his badly bruised, haggard face at the sight of the downed men strewn across the floor. His head was still throbbing, his nerves frayed from the disastrous encounter on the Housatonic backroads and then the drive back here.

Xena advanced on him menacingly. "You tell me," she said. "I want to know what you’re doing with Gabrielle’s scrolls"—she held the scrollcase up in his face—and what in Tartarus you plan to do with them."

Dobson fell back a step or two. This formidable figure wasn’t the genteel Southern aristocrat he’d confronted at the University of South Carolina, but someone else entirely. And if Melinda Pappas had managed to trounce him so thoroughly, he didn’t want to find out what this woman could do to him now.

He felt sick. All his efforts to eradicate Xena from history were exploding in his face. He’d gotten the artifacts, he’d gotten the Scrolls—and yet, despite all that, here she was before him, in the flesh . . . with that partner of hers . . . mocking him!

"How?" he gasped raggedly. "I don’t understand . . . I thought I took care of everything!"" Near hysterical from stress, he started to run, but the young woman was there with Rhonwyn’s torc about her throat and the Druid’s sword leveled at him. He spun back, but Gabrielle’s staff was there, held in a ready grip by the bard’s descendant, poised to strike.

Xena strode toward the man, six feet of danger and barely controlled fury. "Apparently not," she purred. "But I’m gonna find out what it was you thought you took care of, you got that?" The warrior smirked. "’Cause in between the three of us here, I don’t think you have much of a choice. So you tell me: what’s the idea here?"

Defiantly, Dobson blustered, "You expect me to tell you? Back off, woman!" He spat out the word as if it were the most vile invective he could imagine. "You never deserved to exist in the first place, and I won’t let you—"

Fingers jabbed into his throat, and his head began to tingle with numbness. He choked, straining for breath, glaring angrily in her general direction as his vision began to blur.

"I’ve just cut off the flow of blood to your brain," the level voice informed him. For the first time, he noticed that there was no trace of a Southern accent in the woman’s speech. "You got about thirty seconds to tell me what the big idea is, or you’re gonna die a very nasty and painful death. So you better skip the color commentary." Xena glanced at the blonde woman on her left. "Gabrielle, you take it from here."

"My pleasure," the bard coolly responded. She watched as Dobson fell to his knees, trying desperately to draw oxygen into his lungs. Oxygen that wouldn’t reach his brain anyway, not until Xena released the pinch. "Make it to the point," she told him. "What have you done to sabotage the project, and why?"

"Journal . . . on the desk . . . has all the information," Dobson managed. "Don’t want records of you in history . . . make women think they’re our equals . . . or worse, our superiors . . . glorify your immoral lifestyle . . . undermine great Christian traditions!"

"That’s enough," barked the warrior, disgusted. "You’ve said a mouthful."

Dobson was dimly aware of the fingers at his throat again, though he couldn’t feel them—and then he could breathe. Sensation returned to his brain with every gasping, oxygen-laden breath, and he collapsed to the floor, overwhelmed and oblivious to the hardwood staff hovering overhead as unconsciousness took him.

"Hey . . . how’d he . . .?" Janice put a hand to her aching head and stared down at Dobson’s prostrate form at her feet. "What the hell?" Gabrielle’s staff was in her hand—moreover, it was intact—but she couldn’t remember picking it up in the first place.

"Oh my." Mel rubbed her eyes and blinked. "I hate how that feels."

"How what feels?" Janice shook off the disorientation, darted over to her lover, and wrapped a supportive arm around her. "You okay, sweetie?"

"I’m fine, but . . . but this is how it felt . . . that last time!" The Southerner’s eyes were full of amazement.

Something clicked in Janice’s mind. "Back at Ares’s Tomb. Son of a bitch!" she marveled. "Is that what happened? That means . . . but Gabrielle’s spirit’s never taken over my body before. Why now?"

"My guess is that you were ready this time." Kaitlyn was surprised to find herself behind the desk, a leatherbound book in one hand and Rhonwyn’s sword in the other; the last thing she remembered was a haymaker to the jaw that had sent her flying across to the other side of the room. She took a seat in the huge, comfortable recliner, trying to drive the lingering haze from her brain. "Maybe," she mumbled, burying her head in her hands, "since you’ve learned to accept her as your ancestor . . ."

"Makes sense," conceded Janice. She glanced at the weapon she held. It seemed to tingle in her grasp. "And something about the staff too . . . you think?"

Kaitlyn flashed a somewhat sleepy smile. "Covington, think about it . . . how the hell else could wood possibly be that well preserved after so many years, unless there was something special about it?" She paused. Is that the subjunctive case? "Unless there were something special. Whatever."

The archaeologist chuckled. "And you, kid, are something else. Speaking of something else, Rhonwyn get in there anyhow, do you know?"

"I think so." The linguist nodded. "My memory winked out about fifteen minutes ago. Last I knew, I was getting my clock cleaned. Now, I’m standing here holding a sword and a journal."

"Read the journal, then," Mel suggested. "I vaguely recall hearing Dobson say that everything we needed to know would be in it."

"I’ll give it a look." Kaitlyn laid the sword across the desk in front of her and cracked open the journal. She wrinkled her nose; it smelled like dust and old, musty paper, and wasn’t the most pleasant aroma in the world, but she tried her best to ignore the scent and started to read instead.

"Yeah, and while you do that—hey!" One of the men stirred, and Janice leaped over to crack him in the head with the staff. "Mel, come on and help me find some kind of rope or something to tie these guys up."

 

Chapter Twenty-Nine

 

"Well, goddammit."

Kaitlyn hissed and yanked her wrists hard against the metal pipe. The knots refused to budge, just like the previous several dozen attempts. "You know . . . how cliched does this get?"

Janice rolled her eyes and tried futilely to stretch out the kinks in her legs. She threw a longing glance toward her gun, which had been tossed in a far corner of the cold stone basement. "It’s not your fault, kid."

"Yeah, yeah . . . lucky for us he was too stupid to search us thoroughly, huh?" With a grimace, the linguist folded her left leg back, shoving it behind Janice and ignoring her protesting tendons.

"Ow . . . hey!" burst out Janice in a protest of her own.

"Kaitlyn!" Mel exclaimed.

"Aw, she’ll be fine. Stop whining, Covington . . . can you reach my boot knife?" Kaitlyn glanced over her left shoulder toward Janice, expectant.

"Yeah, yeah . . . I think so." Janice ignored the pain that streaked up her arms when she strained against the ropes binding her. Twisting her wrists, she probed beneath the rough leather edge of Kaitlyn’s well-worn boots, searching until her fingers brushed metal. "Got it." She fumbled the knife out, nicking the linguist’s ankle in the process.

"Hey now! The ropes, not me!" When Janice took a chunk of skin off her ankle, Kaitlyn jerked back against the pipe, knocking her hat forward over her face. Bad enough it was dark in here, but it was absolutely impossible to see a thing through thick black wool. She blinked against the itchy fabric, muttering things in French that made Mel blush.

"Come on, come on . . ." Janice flipped the knife up between her fingers and, swearing, started to saw at her binds. The robe slowly gave way beneath the keen little blade, breaking, fiber by fiber, with painful slowness. She felt the tension on the knots beginning to ease . . . a little bit . . . a little bit more . . . just a little—there! The last strand snapped against the knife, and Janice scrambled free. "That was too easy," she remarked with a cocky grin as she cut Mel free, then Kaitlyn.

The linguist got up and pushed her hat back up off her face, grinning teasingly. "Showoff."

They got the last of the ropes off and rubbed at their chafed wrists. Janice handed the boot knife back to Kaitlyn, who once again tucked it away into its sheath. "Handy thing. Thanks again, kid."

"Any time."

"Now wait just one minute," Mel interrupted primly. "How are we going to get up to the library again? We can’t use the main stairs, you know." She straightened out the oversized pair of trousers she was wearing, courtesy of Kaitlyn’s father’s closet.

"First things first," her lover replied. "Our new friend’s still outside the door."

"Not for long," Kaitlyn growled. "I’m about to go out there and give him a piece of my fist . . . tying us up in the basement like . . ." She stalked toward the door, but two pairs of hands dragged her back.

"Whoa there, Miss Confrontational!" warned Janice. "You want him alerting the whole damn place?"

"You got a better idea to get us out of here, Covington?" Kaitlyn snapped back.

"No, but I do," Mel cut in, a smile accentuating the glinting blue eyes that gazed across the basement to the ladder—recently installed in the far wall, but rather flimsy-looking—that disappeared through a dark hatch in the ceiling. "Tour of the maintenance passageways, anyone?"

 

It was cramped, and musty, and dark as hell . . . just like an ancient tomb, except without all the dead people. Janice felt right at home.

Except that all she wanted to do was to get the Scrolls back, and get out of there.

Swearing, she swatted a thick spiderweb out of her way and kept crawling. The beam from Kaitlyn’s army-issue flashlight extended in front of her by a good ten feet and illuminated nothing but more stone, more dust, and more damned spiderwebs before the its ragged edge dissipated into the darkness. The three kept on crawling, silent, making slow but steady progress.

After another ten minutes or so, the tunnel split into a T-shape, branching off into two passages perpendicular to the original.

"Great. Which way now?" Janice whispered.

Kaitlyn bit her lip, and urgency won out over extra caution. "Split up," she suggested. "Pick one passage, I’ll take the other. But you two stick together, got it?"

The archaeologist studied her friend worriedly. "Can you handle whatever might happen, kid?"

Even in the poor light, there was no mistaking the stubborn set of Kaitlyn’s jaw. "Don’t worry about me," she reiterated. "We have to find those Scrolls. Now pick a tunnel to go down before I flip a goddamn coin!"

For the briefest moment, Mel felt her consciousness recede. It flooded back again, loaded with decision, before she’d even fully realized it had gone. "Left-hand one," she declared.

"Mel Pappas has spoken. Looks like you’re going to the right, kid," mumbled Janice.

The linguist pulled her hat down tight. "Take the flashlight. And this. You might need it." She handed the heavy, ridged cylindrical light over to Janice and pressed a cold, slim metal object into Mel’s hand. "I’m off. See you in the library?"

Mel looked down with some alarm at the folding knife that rested in her palm. "Kaitlyn," she protested, "I can’t take this!"

"I’ve got more, if that’s what you’re worried about. Look, Mel, you don’t have to use it on anyone, okay? I’m just saying it might come in handy. You never know."

"Well . . . all right." The Southerner reluctantly agreed, and gripped Kaitlyn’s hand briefly. "See you there. Be careful."

"I’ll worry about being careful when we get the Scrolls back," was the grim reply. "My fault we lost them in the first place." Kaitlyn crept off down the crawlway, shooting a purposeful look over her shoulder before she went.

Janice laid a hand on Mel’s shoulder. "She’ll be fine," she reassured her lover—and herself too, if she had to be honest about it. "Kid’s got more tricks up her sleeves than . . ." She trailed off, eyes widening in surprise as another connection to the Scrolls fell into place. Kaitlyn had said something about a Greek ancestor, hadn’t she . . . ?

The blue of Mel’s eyes froze her gaze and drew it in. "Autolycus?" they whispered in amazed unison.

"She was right," stammered Janice. "I don’t believe it."

Mel nudged her lover. "Genealogies can wait. We’ve got business."

"You got it. Let’s go." The archaeologist nodded and switched the flashlight over to her left hand, and the two women headed down the left-hand tunnel.

 

It wasn’t much longer before they saw light trickling through a gratelike opening at one side of the tunnel.

"Bingo," Janice muttered. As a precautionary measure, she switched off the flashlight and peered through the heavy iron grating. Features that resembled a large empty bathroom fought their way into her vision, past the obstructing iron.

 

Damn. How to get that pesky thing out without making noise? Callused fingertips traced along the grate’s outline, searching out screws and finding none. "I’ll have to kick it out . . . here goes nothing."

"Wait just a second." Mel reached out to unhook the whip from Janice’s belt.

"Hey!"

"Oh, be patient, now." The translator carefully worked the tip of the whiplash between two iron bars, securing the lash around the grating in a loose but solid knot. She took hold of the braided leather and nodded. "Now . . . go ahead."

Even in the darkness, Janice’s eyes sparkled with pride. "Good thinking, sweetie." Bracing herself against the stone, she lashed out with both feet against the grate. The first time, she felt it loosen, and on the second attempt it came free and swung back against the wall with a muffled thud as Mel pulled back on the whiplash—there must’ve been a towel rack hanging there, or something. The translator slowly drew the heavy piece of iron up into the crawlway, undid the knot, recoiled the whip, and handed it back to Janice.

They waited, holding their breath for a few moments, but no one entered. Janice worried about anyone who might be sneaking down the hallway, though. She’d feel much better to know that she could just draw her Magnum and plug any hapless idiot who blundered in, but gunshots would be a very bad idea, especially now that they were supposedly tied up in the basement.

Well. She could always through the flashlight at them if she had to. She didn’t think Kaitlyn would mind, and it’d buy her time to get her whip ready, anyway.

If the odds weren’t too bad.

 

Nerves. What a royal pain in the ass they can be. The archaeologist sighed and crept to the edge of the ventilation shaft. "Ready?" She received Mel’s silent confirmation. "Let’s go then."

Janice let herself drop to the tiled floor as silently as she could, gritting her teeth when pain shot up through her legs from the impact. As she moved around the bathroom, inspecting every corner and even the inside of the giant clawfoot tub, Mel landed soundlessly behind her.

The tall Southerner tiptoed over to the door and pressed her ear against it. "Nothing," she reported in a whisper. "I think it’s safe."

"You sure?"

"As sure as I can be."

"Okay, then. Come on."

Mel nodded at Janice, took hold of the doorknob, and twisted it as slowly as she could. As soon as the latch was clear, she eased the door open just a crack, peered down the hallway, paused, and finally opened the door enough to poke her head through. A pair of bespectacled blue eyes scanned the length of the hall. "Nothing," she said again, once she was safe behind the bathroom door. "It’s clear."

Janice chewed a knuckle thoughtfully. "Any idea where we are?"

"Well, I can’t tell just from one quick look, but I guess we’re on the second floor. Now let’s go!" Mel took her shorter lover by the shoulders and steered her impatiently toward the door.

They slipped into the hallway with a stealth that would have made their ancestors proud, and headed off in search of the library and, hopefully, the Scrolls.

 

Kaitlyn growled at the rat that had just run across her hand and knocked it away. It hit the wall with a meaty thunk.

"Rodents. This place is crawling with rodents . . . and I don’t just mean your furry little relatives," she told the dead creature. She paused and rubbed her left knee. It was tender and a bit swollen from the hard stone. "Speaking of crawling, I’m getting damn sick of it." She’d turned so many corners now that she’d lost track and completely lost her bearings. She kept crawling down the tunnel anyway.

It wasn’t long before she came across an end to the tunnel, and a ladder that led downward. Damn. Well, it’s the end of the tunnel. What have I got to lose? She took hold of the topmost rung and let herself down.

"Velasquez." Her feet had barely hit the floor when a mocking voice behind her made her stiffen. "Don’tcha ever learn?"

 

Gods, she thought wildly, if I make it out of this with half a nerve left, it’ll be a damn miracle! Forcing her muscles to stay as still as possible, she reached up her left sleeve to loosen the sheathed throwing knife strapped to her forearm.

"Ah ah ah . . ." A round dropped into the chamber of the shotgun she was aimed at her back. "Hands where I can see ‘em, an’ turn around."

Swearing under her breath in Cornish, Kaitlyn complied. Sure enough, the jerk leering at her was Scarface, and the weapon in his hand was the 12-gauge shotgun. She gulped and tried not to think about the nasty hole it would likely punch through her chest.

"Finally noticed our getaway, huh?" she spat. "You bought a clue after all . . . how much’d it cost you?"

He glared at her. "Funny. Get movin’."

"Where to? I always wanted an armed escort." He’d dropped his cultured pronunciation, so the linguist threw her sarcastic comment at him in an exaggerated drawl.

Scarface lunged forward and rammed the shotgun barrel into Kaitlyn’s stomach. "Smartass! We’ve had enough’a ya, Velasquez!"

"Oh," Kaitlyn retorted, "having delusions of royalty now, are you?" She winced. Her stomach was on fire from the pain of the blow he’d just dealt her.

The savage grin she saw turned her spine to ice. "Out to the back, Velasquez. I’m gonna make sure you never get in the way again."

Kaitlyn gulped one more time and started walking, as the scarred thug gleefully prodded her with the shotgun every few steps. Oh boy. She only hoped Mel and Janice would get to the Scrolls on time.

 

 

Chapter Thirty

 

"Mel, I swear, how big is this place?" Janice complained. "It can’t be that hard to find the library, can it?" If the ventilation shaft had seemed long, this hallway was interminable.

Mel’s expression was slightly pained. "Do you trust me, Janice?"

 

Shit. "I do, Mel," Janice apologized quickly. "I do . . . I’m sorry." Amazing, how easy it was to say those words now. "Just getting edgy . . . I want those Scrolls back!"

The Southerner glanced around, then leaned forward to kiss her lover’s forehead. "So do I," she reminded Janice with a forgiving smile.

They passed an elaborately carved marble table, a reproduction of a frieze from the Sistine Chapel—Mel remembered, wistfully, having seen the original years ago as a child—and rounded a corner. Still more hallway . . . but it was much wider here, well lighted with a thick red carpet, adorned with fleurs-de-lis in gold thread, underfoot.

Janice’s eyes widened. "Swanky."

"Ostentatious," declared Mel. "Janice . . . look!" She pointed ahead of them, to where a broad square of light spilled onto the carpet from an open doorway.

The two women moved quickly now, almost running across the sound-dampening carpet toward the doorway, past more of Michelangelo’s Biblical scenes. Skidding to a halt just before the doorway, Janice peered into the room and caught an eyeful of wall-to-wall bookshelves that reached nearly from floor to ceiling. Her green eyes glinted. "Mel, I love you."

A warming look from ice-blue eyes sparkled back at her. "I know."

 

"Ow . . . hey, easy, I’m going!" Kaitlyn complained, stumbling as the shotgun muzzle left another bruise on her back. That’s gonna look nasty later on!

Scarface ignored her protests and opened the sliding door—probably the same one they’d found on their first break-in attempt, with their luck—before shoving Kaitlyn out into the yard.

The linguist was aching all over, and blood trickled into her left eye from the cut she’d gotten when she’d tripped on the stairs and hit her head on the edge of a particularly rough step. And it hadn’t helped much that her captor had just kicked and prodded at her until she’d gotten back up.

Out here behind the house, the grounds were vast—even in the stark light of the waning moon, Kaitlyn couldn’t make out the gates. She grimaced when another jab from the shotgun sent pain screaming through her body.

The house itself was just a low, dark outline in the night by now, barely visible behind Scarface, who’d leveled the gun at her head and was grinning widely.

 

Bastard. He has the audacity to smirk at me like that, a time like this? Maybe it was entirely the wrong time for this, but Kaitlyn was getting annoyed. "You know, with a cannon like that they’re still gonna hear you in there," she bluffed, jerking her chin toward the Gothic silhouette.

Scarface snorted. "Doesn’t matter. No one else will. ‘Sides, nobody around here’ll object to seein’ ya outta the way. Won’t be long now, but I’m feelin’ nice . . ."

"Really? That’s a first," Kaitlyn drawled, hoping that sheer bravado would cover up the sickening feeling crystallizing her guts.

"Shaddap! Or I might change my mind! You got one last request, Velasquez, ‘fore I off ya, so what’ll it be?"

"Well . . ." Her tired brain raced frantically. One last chance . . . I better make it a good one.

 

Mel and Janice slipped into the library and quickly ducked behind a wide desk. In the center of the room, two men were bent over the scrollcase, trying to make out the inscription that a young Southern belle had translated with such ease.

So the Scrolls were safe for now—it looked like they wouldn’t be destroyed until after they’d been deciphered. It eased Janice’s mind a bit, and she was about to relax against the desk . . . but a flash of bronze against the far wall caught her eye and kindled a new rage in the pit of her stomach.

"Mel, look!" The pattern was right . . . the era matched up . . . she knew that design. She’d spent a futile, maddening half year searching for it.

Mounted in a glass case against the wall hung the tattered remains of a black leather gambeson and what could only be Xena’s armor.

Mel’s hand tightened around her partner’s wrist in a nearly bone-crushing grip. To the left of the display was another identical case. This one contained Gabrielle’s Amazon leathers, the Queen’s Mask, and her staff.

"The plundered tombs at the ’40 Amphipolis dig . . . it was them?" the archaeologist whispered furiously. "They stole all the goddamned evidence!"

 

"C’mon, ya no-good piece of unnatural trash, what’ll it be?"

The accent was really starting to grate. The pronunciation was horrendous and nasal. Kaitlyn suddenly remembered a disastrous incident when she’d been fifteen. It had hearned her a whole lot of trouble—and a hell of a tongue lashing—back then, but it just might save her now . . .

"In that case," she said slowly, "mind if I have a last smoke and drink?"

Scarface gave her a superior stare. "Eh . . . go ahead. Enjoy yer filthy little vices one last time, an’ make it good."

"Oh, believe me . . . I always make it good." The graduate student snarled wordlessly and reached inside her trenchcoat for the lighter in her pants pocket.

"Hey." Scarface gestured at her with the shotgun. "Toss the gun first. I know ‘s in there."

"Oh, good. You’re learning. You might make a decent thug someday after all, eh?"" Kaitlyn countered with a superior stare of her own, but pulled the Colt automatic from its holster and tossed it aside anyway. "Happy now?"

"Not yet, but once yer done with that . . ." The unspoken promise lingered in the air.

"Then as much as I hate to say it . . . thank you." Kaitlyn fished out her lighter with one hand and simultaneously retrieved her cigarette case with the other, flipping a Dunhill from the slim silver case and into her mouth in one motion. Lighting it with a flourish, she put the accessories away into the pockets they’d come from, and brought out her hip flask.

"So," she began conversationally, "since you’re going to kill me anyway, mind telling me what your boss is up to, stealing the Scrolls?" She took a long drag off her cigarette, watching the glowing outline creep a little closer toward her fingers and suppressing the urge to flick off the ash left in its wake.

Scarface snarled. "What do you think I am, stupid?"

Kaitlyn shrugged, took another drag, and watched the ash lengthen. "Actually, yes, I did, but anyway. Can you blame me for being curious?" She popped the cap off her hip flask and swirled it. "What with your bunch following us around and all . . . smashing up my house and threatening us . . . couldn’t help but wonder, y’know." She exhaled a cloud of smoke and tossed back a gulp of scotch.

The thug looked at her. "If you’d cooperated in the first place, we wouldn’t have had to." He sounded almost sulky, like a child.

"Cooperated?" The ash had burned about halfway down the cigarette by now. "Yeah, well, I like to give people a hard time." She started to pace a bit, edging herself a bit closer to the thug on every round.

"Shows." He noticed the smoke wisping between Kaitlyn’s fingers, and the rapidly burning cigarette. "Aren’t you gonna flick th’ash off that thing?"

"Oh yeah, that . . ." Kaitlyn pulled in a mouthful of smoke so fast it made her throat tear, blew it hard into his face, and lunged forward, knocking the ample hot ash into Scarface’s eyes. A quick flick of her wrist at the same time doused the front of his shirt with alcohol. "Thanks for reminding me!" She jammed the lit cigarette into the scotch-soaked fabring and jumped back as it caught on fire.

The thug howled in agony as the flames licked up to sear his clothing, his limbs twitching in mindless reaction to the pain. His arm jerked up, the shotgun muzzle pointed into the sky, and Kaitlyn spun, whipping a vicious kick into his jaw. He winced, and the shotgun went off, cracking the night.

Another kick knocked the discharged weapon from the thug’s hand, and a hard uppercut dumped him, unconscious, to the ground. Kaitlyn swatted the flames off her pant leg, cursing, and rolled the man onto his stomach to extinguish his burning clothing. She scooped up the shotgun quickly and cracked him in the head with it, giving him a disgusted look before grabbing her own handgun off the ground and sprinting back toward the house.

"Well, Dad," she announced to the wind, "seeing as how I’m still alive now, I hope you don’t mind having had to paint over the scorch marks in the living room that one time. But still . . ." The linguist heaved a martyrial sigh. "Now, like then, it was a damn waste of a good Glenfiddich."

 

Mel and Janice, still crouched behind the desk, heard the gunshot and the scream. They tensed in shock and looked at one another.

"I hope Kaitlyn’s all right," Mel whispered.

"Wasn’t her voice . . . she should be okay . . . oh no, you don’t!" Janice exploded from a whisper to a full-out bellow and launched herself from behind the desk, hurtling toward the two men, who’d grabbed the scrollcase and started to run at the sound of gunfire. She yanked the whip from her belt, threw her arm forward, and sent twelve feet of braided leather hissing through the air to wrap around the ankle of the man carrying the scrollcase.

Janice pulled back hard, knocking both her victim and the other man to the ground and sending the scrollcase flying into the air. "Mel, catch!" She grabbed the case and tossed it to her partner, who fielded it like a natural.

Mel clutched the scrollcase and wheeled for the door, only to see three men charge in from the hallway—where they’d come from, she didn’t think she wanted to know. "Maybe not . . . oops!" She ducked the arm that swung at her and stomped on the foot that, she hoped, was attached to the same body as the arm was.

It was, and it gave her a chance to back up and kick the man sharply in the shin. Janice, meanwhile, was busy with the first two men. She’d be on her own.

The tallest of the three, an ugly character with a hooked nose and dirty, stringy hair, eyed Mel’s ill-fitting trousers and oversized black shirt with scornful amusement. "Doing your part for the country, are you, Rosie the Riveter?"

Mel’s face hardened, and for a moment she looked every inch her ancestor, right down to the danger that radiated from her gaze. "More so than you are," she told him levelly, over the pained yelp that came from where Janice’s roundhouse punch had just split open someone’s chin. She lunged forward on pure instinct and drove her free elbow into his face, winced as she heard his nose crunch, and ducked past his two buddies into the hallway.

"Back . . . back . . . go back, Mel!" Kaitlyn was barreling down from the far end of the hallway, blood on her face and a shotgun in her hand. Hot on her heels were four more thugs.

The translator needed no further prompting. She turned and bolted back for the doorway, creating a rather spectacular domino effect as she crashed headlong into the three thugs who’d decided to linger in the doorway.

Kaitlyn tore into the room about then, her pursuers right behind. The linguist pivoted and swung the shotgun like a club, catching two of them across the chin. Another vicious jab planted the butt of the firearm into one thug’s stomach, and when he doubled over, Kaitlyn slammed it across the backs of his knees.

 

The stringy-haired thug had recovered and was reaching out to grab Mel, when leather wrapped stingingly around his wrist and jerked him around—straight into the path of Janice’s fist.

"No one hurts my Mel, you got that?" the blonde spitfire told him savagely, just before dispatching him with an uppercut.

"Thanks, love." Mel grinned and tripped up another thug.

"Welcome." Janice’s eyes glinted, and without missing a beat, she brought a foot up into the thug’s chest, knocking the wind clean out of him.

 

Kaitlyn jumped onto the shoulders of the man she’d downed and used him as a springboard onto the tabletop. Her right leg lashed out, and a pair of brass bookends quickly found its way into two more men’s chests.

She was on the upper ground here. Having the upper ground is a good thing; you gain a better vantage point than your enemy. And from the tabletop, Kaitlyn caught a glimpse of the display case that hung over the library door.

A long, slightly curving, samurai-style sword, with rudimentary lightning patterns etched into its blade, glinted at her from behind the glass. Above it, a silver torc was similarly mounted, tiny rubies glittering in the eyes of its eagles’-head terminals.

"Son of a bitch," she breathed as the shock of recognition ripped through her. There was no mistaking that design.

Rhonwyn’s torc, and her sword Lludchen.

 

 

Chapter Thirty-One

 

Mel, still clutching the scrollcase, saw Kaitlyn standing transfixed on the tabletop, completely oblivious to the man sneaking up behind her. Move, come on! she pleaded mentally, annoyed at seeing the dynamic young woman standing so uncharacteristically stock-still. Kaitlyn’s hands were hanging at her sides, her eyes glassy and her mouth gaping in sickened shock.

Poor girl. She obviously hadn’t taken too well to finding her ancestor’s belongings in Dobson’s possession. And at any other time, Mel would have let her live through her shock at her own pace . . . but a thug was drawing a bead on the linguist right now.

Mel had opened her mouth and was about to shout a warning when a fist just as unexpected came crashing into her face and sent her flying into one of the display cases.

The pain from her impact against the second display case was lost in the tingle of sensation that flooded through her body. Glass shattered, and the sound of Janice’s grunt as the archaeologist crashed into the last remaining case was muffled by the weight of bronze and the smell of old leather falling over the Southerner’s head.

Familiar.

 

She was dimly aware of feathers tickling her neck, but it was the feel of the hardened length of wood, pulsing with a curious energy, that triggered memory, and her fingers closed easily around it in a practiced grasp. Instinct and training flooded back in the space of a breath, and the bard leaped to her feet, brandishing her staff.

"Xena!" she barked, glancing down at the crumpled figure beside her. "Get up!" No time to wonder why they were dressed as they were; the men advancing on the prostrate form in the doorway would show no mercy to their prey.

"I’m here, Gabrielle." The warrior stood, and brushed the shards of glass off her body, ignoring the cuts on her arms and back.

"About time." Emerald eyes sparkled purposefully, and together they approached the men from behind.

 

He’d seen the shotgun hurtle into the air when his blow landed, flying to smash open the glass case above the door and dumping its contents to the ground. The kid in the fedora lay unconscious in the doorway, where she’d fallen after his kick had knocked her off the table.

Easy target. The others would make short work of her.

But from where he stood, he couldn’t see the kid’s fingers twitch and reach out for the hilt of the sword.

He never saw what happened next, anyway; a piercing cry filled his ears just before a flying scissor kick took him down.

 

Xena landed on the table and quickly somersaulted off again, keening her battle yell and hitting the ground next to Gabrielle, whose staff had already laid low two of the men. She’d grabbed one more by the front of his strange shirt and was about to introduce his throat to the heel of her hand when a familiar, unexpected voice spoke.

"I believe this is mine?"

The tone was cultured, level, well-modulated. Rhonwyn? There was no doubt about the accent, the intonation. But the appearance was something else altogether.

The young woman who spoke in Rhonwyn’s voice gripped Lludchen in the Druid’s singular way, and a silver torc dangled from her left hand. Slowly, she spread the ends of the ornament and fitted it about her throat. Ruby-eyed eagles glinted at Xena and Gabrielle there, in a pale imitation of the fire burning in the girl’s eyes; a fire like only Rhonwyn possessed.

The two remaining men stood motionless, held at the mercy of the swordpoint and the steely look aimed at them. Rhonwyn glanced past them and smiled. The smile was an expression so unique to the young Druid that Xena and Gabrielle recognized her despite her completely unfamiliar features.

"Hello again, old friends," Rhonwyn said, in her typically deadpan way, as though this encounter weren’t taking place in the middle of a fight.

Gabrielle grinned. "Good to have you back."

"Just like ancient times," came the wry response. In a move as quick as her sword’s namesake, Rhonwyn lashed out with the flat of Lludchen’s blade, dropping one man with a blow to the temple just as Xena’s fist let fly into the last man’s face.

"Hey, Xena?" asked the bard uncertainly.

"Yeah, Gabrielle?"

"What are we doing here?"

The warrior shook her head. "You know, I’m not quite sure, but . . ." The faintest of sounds caught her attention, down the hallway somewhere. "Wonder about it later, ‘cause I think I hear more coming. No, wait . . . just one." She tensed to spring.

"Blessed Brigid!" exclaimed Rhonwyn. "Will they never have done?"

Ice-blue eyes caught and held the Druid’s. "No," Xena told her grimly. "I hate to say it, but some people will never learn."

 

"What is the meaning of this?" Dobson’s voice exploded into the library. Shock grew on his badly bruised, haggard face at the sight of the downed men strewn across the floor. His head was still throbbing, his nerves frayed from the disastrous encounter on the Housatonic backroads and then the drive back here.

Xena advanced on him menacingly. "You tell me," she said. "I want to know what you’re doing with Gabrielle’s scrolls"—she held the scrollcase up in his face—and what in Tartarus you plan to do with them."

Dobson fell back a step or two. This formidable figure wasn’t the genteel Southern aristocrat he’d confronted at the University of South Carolina, but someone else entirely. And if Melinda Pappas had managed to trounce him so thoroughly, he didn’t want to find out what this woman could do to him now.

He felt sick. All his efforts to eradicate Xena from history were exploding in his face. He’d gotten the artifacts, he’d gotten the Scrolls—and yet, despite all that, here she was before him, in the flesh . . . with that partner of hers . . . mocking him!

"How?" he gasped raggedly. "I don’t understand . . . I thought I took care of everything!"" Near hysterical from stress, he started to run, but the young woman was there with Rhonwyn’s torc about her throat and the Druid’s sword leveled at him. He spun back, but Gabrielle’s staff was there, held in a ready grip by the bard’s descendant, poised to strike.

Xena strode toward the man, six feet of danger and barely controlled fury. "Apparently not," she purred. "But I’m gonna find out what it was you thought you took care of, you got that?" The warrior smirked. "’Cause in between the three of us here, I don’t think you have much of a choice. So you tell me: what’s the idea here?"

Defiantly, Dobson blustered, "You expect me to tell you? Back off, woman!" He spat out the word as if it were the most vile invective he could imagine. "You never deserved to exist in the first place, and I won’t let you—"

Fingers jabbed into his throat, and his head began to tingle with numbness. He choked, straining for breath, glaring angrily in her general direction as his vision began to blur.

"I’ve just cut off the flow of blood to your brain," the level voice informed him. For the first time, he noticed that there was no trace of a Southern accent in the woman’s speech. "You got about thirty seconds to tell me what the big idea is, or you’re gonna die a very nasty and painful death. So you better skip the color commentary." Xena glanced at the blonde woman on her left. "Gabrielle, you take it from here."

"My pleasure," the bard coolly responded. She watched as Dobson fell to his knees, trying desperately to draw oxygen into his lungs. Oxygen that wouldn’t reach his brain anyway, not until Xena released the pinch. "Make it to the point," she told him. "What have you done to sabotage the project, and why?"

"Journal . . . on the desk . . . has all the information," Dobson managed. "Don’t want records of you in history . . . make women think they’re our equals . . . or worse, our superiors . . . glorify your immoral lifestyle . . . undermine great Christian traditions!"

"That’s enough," barked the warrior, disgusted. "You’ve said a mouthful."

Dobson was dimly aware of the fingers at his throat again, though he couldn’t feel them—and then he could breathe. Sensation returned to his brain with every gasping, oxygen-laden breath, and he collapsed to the floor, overwhelmed and oblivious to the hardwood staff hovering overhead as unconsciousness took him.

 

"Hey . . . how’d he . . .?" Janice put a hand to her aching head and stared down at Dobson’s prostrate form at her feet. "What the hell?" Gabrielle’s staff was in her hand—moreover, it was intact—but she couldn’t remember picking it up in the first place.

"Oh my." Mel rubbed her eyes and blinked. "I hate how that feels."

"How what feels?" Janice shook off the disorientation, darted over to her lover, and wrapped a supportive arm around her. "You okay, sweetie?"

"I’m fine, but . . . but this is how it felt . . . that last time!" The Southerner’s eyes were full of amazement.

Something clicked in Janice’s mind. "Back at Ares’s Tomb. Son of a bitch!" she marveled. "Is that what happened? That means . . . but Gabrielle’s spirit’s never taken over my body before. Why now?"

"My guess is that you were ready this time." Kaitlyn was surprised to find herself behind the desk, a leatherbound book in one hand and Rhonwyn’s sword in the other; the last thing she remembered was a haymaker to the jaw that had sent her flying across to the other side of the room. She took a seat in the huge, comfortable recliner, trying to drive the lingering haze from her brain. "Maybe," she mumbled, burying her head in her hands, "since you’ve learned to accept her as your ancestor . . ."

"Makes sense," conceded Janice. She glanced at the weapon she held. It seemed to tingle in her grasp. "And something about the staff too . . . you think?"

Kaitlyn flashed a somewhat sleepy smile. "Covington, think about it . . . how the hell else could wood possibly be that well preserved after so many years, unless there was something special about it?" She paused. Is that the subjunctive case? "Unless there were something special. Whatever."

The archaeologist chuckled. "And you, kid, are something else. Speaking of something else, Rhonwyn get in there anyhow, do you know?"

"I think so." The linguist nodded. "My memory winked out about fifteen minutes ago. Last I knew, I was getting my clock cleaned. Now, I’m standing here holding a sword and a journal."

"Read the journal, then," Mel suggested. "I vaguely recall hearing Dobson say that everything we needed to know would be in it."

"I’ll give it a look." Kaitlyn laid the sword across the desk in front of her and cracked open the journal. She wrinkled her nose; it smelled like dust and old, musty paper, and wasn’t the most pleasant aroma in the world, but she tried her best to ignore the scent and started to read instead.

"Yeah, and while you do that—hey!" One of the men stirred, and Janice leaped over to crack him in the head with the staff. "Mel, come on and help me find some kind of rope or something to tie these guys up."

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Two

 

Ten minutes later, with two coils of rope and Kaitlyn’s combat knife—which, as it had turned out, had been discarded fifteen feet away from a supply closet on the floor below—Mel and Janice returned to the library to find their young friend sitting at the desk. Her face was pale with horror, and Dobson’s journal was open in front of her.

"Kaitlyn?" Mel momentarily suppressed her own growing apprehension and handed the rope to Janice, who immediately set to work tying up the unconscious thugs. The translator approached the young woman and crouched beside her. "Are you all right?" she asked, placing a gentle hand on Kaitlyn’s shoulder.

The linguist shook her head. "Gods . . . no," she managed in a strangled voice. "I will be when I see this cretin locked up for the rest of his life, but . . ." She looked into Mel’s face, her eyes bloodshot and hollow. "That’ll never make up for what he’s done to you."

Mel’s stomach twisted sharply. "What’re you saying?"

"I always seem to be the bearer of bad news," Kaitlyn murmured. "Dobson’s much worse of a character than we ever realized. Gods, how could anyone do something like this?"

"Like what?" Janice knotted the last thug securely against a heavy desk and came to face Kaitlyn. "Sabotage, robbery, threats, what? Kid, that stuff happens all the time."

"Worse than that." The young graduate student looked up at Janice with that hollow gaze. "He’s a murderer."

"Sweet Jesus." The words pierced her skin and worked into their way into her bloodstream, quickly making their way directly to her heart. Janice sank into a chair, feeling like everything had been yanked straight from inside her ribcage. "The cave-in at Corinth in ’39 was no accident . . ."

She’d gone off to the dig with her father that year; exuberant over the find of the first Xena Scroll, Harry Covington and daughter had left in search for more. The dig had yielded nothing—nothing but tragedy, anyway, because the senior Covington never made it back alive. He’d died there, on the dig site, a victim of internal bleeding caused by his fatal impact with a falling boulder.

A boulder that would have taken Janice’s life, too, if her father hadn’t lunged to shove her out of the way.

A boulder that had been no accident.

"No." Kaitlyn looked miserably at Mel now. "And neither was the supposed botched robbery, two weeks later, that resulted in the death of Doctor Melvin Pappas."

"Dear Lord . . ." Mel choked.

Janice immediately leaped up to enfold her in a fierce hug. Old wounds had been ripped open all over again, and nothing but time and love would heal them now. Standing there in the ruins of Dobson’s library, the descendant of the warrior and the descendant of the bard made a silent vow to one another. Together, they would work through this pain . . . and come out stronger.

Kaitlyn’s pained rasp eventually brought them back to reality. "It’s all here, in the journal—all the plans, a detailed step-by-step of carrying them out, everything. I’ll see this bastard put behind bars for you, if it’s the last thing I ever do," the linguist promised. It wouldn’t be out of revenge, that was for sure; if she’d learned anything from this holy hell of an experience, it was that revenge would only further the—what had Gabrielle called it?—the cycle of hatred. But justice demanded punishment for the murders of Harry Covington and Melvin Pappas, and justice, she hoped, would be served. Speaking of the law . . .

"Well," Janice remarked, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, "that does help take care of one problem . . . getting off the hook for breaking into this place."

"Damn," Kaitlyn mused. "I hadn’t thought of that."

Mel needed no further prompting, and reached for the phone. "I’ll call the police," she said.

 

The evidence was more than enough to ensure a conviction; upon reading the detailed description of what Dobson had planned to do to the Scrolls, the Albany police commissioner assured the three women that it was unlikely for them to be implicated in the case. Mitigating circumstances, he’d said, or something along those lines. They were, however, called upon to testify for the prosecution, and Dobson and all his accomplices were summarily booked on a long list of charges including grand theft and murder. In between Exhibit A—the journal—and testimony from Janice, Melinda, and Kaitlyn, the verdict was effectively sealed.

Additionally, the ruling dictated that possession of the artifacts stolen from the 1940 Amphipolis excavation—Xena’s armor, Gabrielle’s staff and Amazon leathers, and Rhonwyn’s sword and torc—be signed over to the three descendants, who were considerably delighted by that.

"You mean that’s it?" Janice asked as they’d left the courtroom. "Not even a slap on the wrist for breaking into the place?"

"Not even that," Commissioner Hughes replied. "That journal included a detailed, and I do mean detailed, record of everything Martin Dobson and his cronies have done to you, what they planned to do to you next, and what they planned to do with the Scrolls. To say nothing, of course, of, ah, what he did to your fathers . . ." He cleared his throat, embarrassed, and gave each of them a firm handshake and a smile. "Well, they’ll be paying for that now, and Judge Ball decided, in light of that, to let you off the hook. It’s a shame, really, what some people will do . . . but don’t let them stop you, all right? Keep up the good work, ladies, and the best of luck to you."

Mel returned the smile. "Thank you, Commissioner."

"Don’t mention it. Besides . . . I’ve a feeling you’re going to need it."

 

Kaitlyn had a hard time believing it could be so easy. And upon further examination, it seemed their victory wasn’t complete; the conditions of the judge’s ruling stipulated that the Scrolls could not be published until further notice. Mel and Janice were disappointed by that, but as Mel pointed out, the important thing was that the Scrolls and artifacts remained safe and in their possession.

"Could’ve been worse," Kaitlyn added, on the way back to their hotel. "They could’ve gotten all of us on felony charges for being gay. Gods know, Dobson rehashed that point over and over again in that damn journal of his." She yawned and worked a kink out of her neck with a painful-sounding crack. "It’s just a damn good thing that Judge Ball was more concerned about Dobson and his buddies being in cahoots with the Nazis." Lighting a cigarette, she cast an amused glance at her friends. "It’ll be a good long while before any of them get out of Leavenworth."

"Yep." Janice stretched. "Never figured I’d go on a dig and wind up with the FBI involved." It seemed that Dobson’s machinations had put the government on alert to a potential national security issue, hence the swift incarceration. Janice was bitterly opposed to the blacklist and its ilk, but this time around, it had saved them all. Ironic, but not altogether surprising. The past few weeks had been such a mess of blurred lines that good and evil no longer seemed polarized.

In addition, the United States government wanted her and Mel to head up several officially sanctioned archaeological expeditions. Janice suspected that it was a ploy to keep them busy, away from pushing for the Scrolls’ publication . . . but it was an opportunity to do more of the work she loved. She’d get sick enough of academia and its formality soon. Besides, she had no doubt that someday, they’d still get the Scrolls published.

 

"I guess Commissioner Hughes was right," Mel remarked as they headed back toward Housatonic the next day. "Maybe they won’t all be as bad as Mister Dobson was, but there’ll always be people trying to stop us from working on the Scrolls."

Janice sighed and relaxed into the jeep’s front seat, wrapping an arm around Mel’s shoulders. "Unfortunately, you’re right. It’s sad . . . people can be so afraid of the truth sometimes. Speaking of the truth," she added, "Mel and I have a guess about that Greek ancestor of yours, kid."

Kaitlyn guffawed. "Yeah, it was Autolycus, if that’s what you’re thinking. Rhonwyn met him when she returned to Greece, trying to join up with Gabrielle and Xena again. He even went back to Wales with her when their daughter Goewyn was due to be born." She squinted into the sunlight on the road ahead of them and added softly, "But it didn’t last. She’d always been in love with Gabrielle, and he knew it. She cared about him, but, you know. It just wasn’t the same."

"Poor guy," Janice murmured.

"They stayed good friends, if it’s any consolation." The linguist swerved around a pothole and kept driving. "She was honest with him from the start. She said that she couldn’t do any less than what she’d told Xena and Gabrielle they needed to do."

Mel nodded. "That’s something, at least."

"Yeah," agreed Janice. "Always a lesson to be learned from the past . . . right, Mel?" She looked up into her lover’s eyes and promptly lost herself there, in a tangle of emotions. "I know I’ve learned mine. I’m not about to let anything get between me and you again, sweetie. Promise."

Kaitlyn kept her eyes respectfully on the road as Mel claimed Janice’s promise, matching it with her own in a kiss so intense and full of devotion that not even the worst possibilities they could imagine would put a damper on the future.

A grin lit up the graduate student’s face. The the geas is complete, Rhonwyn.

She’d had time, during Dobson’s trial, to finish the work on her ancestor’s lifesong, and now it was her turn to be amazed at the enormity of destiny. None of this had been a coincidence—not her chosen course of study, not Mel and Janice’s discovery of the Rift Scrolls, not their mutual acquaintance with Trent Mitchell, not the possession of Rhonwyn’s lifesong. All the separate strands of circumstance were interlocked, drawing the three of them into each other’s worlds in a knot as intricate as the amulet beneath her shirt now.

And Rhonwyn had foreseen all of this. That was why Kaitlyn had been drawn to Celtic Studies in the first place—because a Druid, all those centuries ago, had known the warrior and bard, known that things come full circle, known that one day Xena and Gabrielle’s descendants would face the same difficulty their ancestors had. She had committed herself to preserving the account of the Rift, in its entirety; everything Gabrielle had told her and everything she herself had experienced was passed down first to Goewyn, then to all her descendants in turn. Each of them—including Goewyn’s son, who’d traveled to Southeast Asia and stayed there—had been bound by a powerful geas, a highly specific "curse," to keep the story of the Rift alive and preserve it as a lesson to those who would need to learn it. To Melinda Pappas and Janice Covington, whose very natures and bloodlines put them at that risk.

That geas had ended here, with her, Kaitlyn Rowena Velasquez. And in a sense, it had indeed been a curse. A professional agreement had led to profound friendship, and a translation project had become a desperate personal struggle—and the ages-old fight between love and hatred. But they’d won; the curse was broken, and the lesson learned. And someday, when the Scrolls were finally ready to be published, that struggle and that lesson could be a reminder to anyone who ventured into their pages.

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Three

 

"Mail for you, kid."

Kaitlyn looked up in surprise as Janice sauntered into the living room, holding a thin, cream-colored envelope with an air mail stamp on it. "For me? Here?" They were back in Columbia, after a few days’ stop in Housatonic to put things in order—the chaos that had been made of the Velasquez summer house, for one.

The archaeologist grinned and handed the envelope over with a flourish. "Yeah, you dimwit. Remember you arranged to have your mail forwarded?"

"Holy shit." Kaitlyn stared at the return address on the envelope, written in a copperplate hand she recognized with no trouble at all. She pulled out her boot knife and slit the envelope, extracting the letter and scanning its contents. "What would you do if I told you . . . that it’s from my parents?"

Silverware crashed to the floor in the kitchen—Mel must have overheard—and went unnoticed as the graduate student doubled over on the couch in hysteric laughter. Janice stood over the couch, watching Kaitlyn perplexedly, one hand shoved into her jacket pocket and the other tangled in her blonde hair. "That’s great, kid," she remarked, once the laughing fit had subsided into awed silence. "What’d they have to say?"

"They want me to come to England after I finish my Master’s program, and pursue any further study there." Kaitlyn stared through the piece of stationery, her features rigid in amazement. Her voice was barely audible. "And that’s as good as saying they want to forgive and forget."

"You gonna take them up on it?" asked Janice. Kaitlyn mutely nodded, and the archaeologist continued, "Hell, that calls for a drink, then! Name your poison, kid."

A devilish glint shattered the glassy shock in the linguist’s eyes. "Oldest bourbon you got," she drawled, stretching out onto the couch. She raised the tumbler Janice handed her and watched the sunlight turn the deep crimson beverage into liquid fire. "Slaínte môr!"

"Uh . . . right." Janice clinked her glass against Kaitlyn’s and tossed back a mouthful, feeling the satisfying burn of the alcohol as it slid down her throat.

"Did I hear right?" Mel asked, coming in with a tray of sandwiches. "Your parents contacted you?"

"You heard right, sweetie, that’s for sure." Janice gulped down another mouthful. "Now get a glass and join the party!"

Mel’s eyes lit up. "That’s wonderful news, Kaitlyn! Are you really going to take them up on the offer to go to England?"

"You bet your . . . er, that is to say . . ." stammered Kaitlyn hastily. "If I can get into a good school over there for my major, I most definitely will!"

"Don’t you worry about that," Mel informed her. A smile played about the corners of the Southerner’s lips. "Professor Malone was quite impressed with you at the benefit dinner, and let me know that he was interested in ‘helping to further the education of such a promising young scholar,’ as he put it. And it just so happens that Franklin Malone’s father is quite influential on the Board of Humanities at Oxford."

"Quite influential!" sputtered Janice. "Hell, kid, Malone’s father is the damn chairman of the Humanities board!"

"Mel, I’d . . ." Kaitlyn felt her voice catch in her throat as her vision went misty. "If you could do that for me, I’d . . ."

The Southerner sat down on the couch and gave the young woman a gentle hug, taking care not to spill the glass of bourbon that Kaitlyn still clutched. "You don’t need to say it," she said quietly. "There’s nothing to thank us for. You’ve helped to set things right between Janice and me, and there’s nothing we could do to thank you enough for that. This is an opportunity you deserve."

"Yeah." Janice leaned across the table and gave Kaitlyn a friendly slug on the shoulder. "Quit the bawling, kid . . . try and look enthusiastic, why don’t you?"

Kaitlyn grinned and wiped her eyes on the sleeve of her white oxford shirt—uncanny choice, that, wearing that shirt today. "I’ll do my best, Covington. And Mel, if you can make this work for me, I’d love it. I couldn’t think of a better place to study Celtic culture than in Britain." She took a sip of bourbon and added thoughtfully, "Though I do have one more year to finish up here before I can go . . . what will you two be doing?"

Janice stretched out in an armchair and lit a cigar. "Working on getting the Scrolls published," she said.

"But the court ruling!" the linguist protested weakly. "I thought the judge said that we . . ."

A wry look from Mel silenced her. "Kaitlyn, let me tell you something. There’s no convincing Janice otherwise when she sets her mind on something, and she’s dead set on getting those Scrolls published someday. Matter of fact, I am too. It’s just a matter of time."

"Yeah, and when that time comes, we’ll be ready," Janice vowed, her eyes alight with the fire of a good anticipated challenge. "We’ve got enough now for a full volume, and as soon as our chance comes, we’ll be ready to take it."

"So what’s on the agenda, Doctor?"

"We’re trying to establish something we call the Xena Canon," Mel jumped in. "All the conclusive proof that Xena and Gabrielle existed, and a definitive record of their lives."

Kaitlyn nodded. "The standard by which you can measure the veracity of all other accounts."

"Mmm-hmm. Now that we have the archaeological evidence that Dobson stole, it should be fairly easy." Mel bit her lip and looked pensive. "You know, I can’t help feeling a bit sorry for that poor man. He shut himself away into his own world . . . and look what happened to him."

"Yeah." Kaitlyn sighed."Guess it comes back to that perspective thing I like to rant about. Gabrielle made a comment in one of her scrolls somewhere, that each life has its place, but I guess some people can’t see the whole picture, or they’d realize that they fit into it somehow." She laughed and gestured with her glass of bourbon before draining it. "Kind of reminds me of this woman I met once out in California. Real piece of work she was! An old silent film star still living in the past . . . she refused to see that the world was going to evolve with or without her. Hate to think what’d happen if some poor young guy blunders into that old Hollywood mansion of hers, five or six years down the road." The linguist set the glass down with a rueful smile.

"Mmm." Mel absorbed that. "Five or six years down the road, I expect to hear of you making something big of yourself," she remarked.

"Eh . . . I’ll be content with something small, if it makes a difference."

Janice nudged the pile of translations that lay on the coffee table. "You’ve already done that, kid. Not just for Mel and me, but for anyone who might read this story in the future and realize that shit happens to us all, whether we deserve it or not, and that we’re wasting time by placing blame instead of trying to heal each other." She shrugged and took another puff on her cigar, relaxing back into the armchair with a blissful smile.

Kaitlyn let out a low chuckle and regarded her friend. "Never figured you for a philosopher, Covington! Guess it runs in your family."

"Hey." Janice grinned and spread her arms wide. "I can live with that. Ever since Gabrielle was in here for a while—"she tapped her chest with one finger—"I realized, she’s not that different from me. But in some ways she was so much stronger. I think I could learn a lot from her, you know?"

Mel nodded and smiled. "Xena would be proud of you, love. I know I am."

 

 

* * *

 

"This isn’t goodbye, is it?" asked Gabrielle, as Rhonwyn loaded the last of her packs onto Alaeth. The bard felt a comforting presence beside her and snuggled into the protective curve of Xena’s arm.

The Druid smiled; the gesture had not been lost on her. "No, there is no goodbye as far as I’m concerned, Gabrielle. I’ll come back and see you again someday. And I’m sure that Autolycus over there will feel the urge to come back soon, so I’ll send a letter with him when he does." She smiled and nodded to the thief, who looked almost embarrassed. "Right now though, I’ve got to go home and help my people rebuild. So many of the Brotherhood were killed—I need to help see to it that their wisdom is not lost, and . . ." She caught Gabrielle’s eyes. "To make sure that the story of what you’ve lived through is preserved."

Rhonwyn’s voice was level, but there were layers of meaning to her words. The account of the Rift had proved too painful for Gabrielle to write down in her scrolls, as badly as she felt it needed to be preserved. The Druid, however, had promised to pass it along in the oral tradition of the Celtic bards . . . starting with the child she and Autolycus were expecting.

It had been an unexpected turn of events, this liaison with the Greek rogue. She would not deny that she felt strongly for Gabrielle, but at the same time she saw no reason to deny the connection that had sprung up between herself and Autolycus. Provided that neither of them tried to see it as anything more profound than it truly was.

Xena moved to enfold the Briton in a fierce hug. "Thank you, Rhonwyn. I wish you the best."

"As do I, to you and Gabrielle." Rhonwyn held the warrior’s gaze. "Take good care of her, Xena," she murmured. "Remember that your path is ever together. The wounds you two have sustained will be a long time in healing, but together, you can lessen the scars. Face down the difficulties as you do your foes, without hesitation and with all conviction."

"I . . . we will." Xena nodded, giving extra emphasis to the amended phrase. "And I promise you, one day Caesar will pay for the injustice he’s done you and your people."

The Druid smiled. "Just be careful of what you do in the name of vengeance, my friend. Always be mindful of that." She turned to Gabrielle, and embraced the young Amazon heartily. "Gabrielle, you are truly a bard worthy of the name. You have taught me much—both of you have—and I will miss you. Take care of that warrior of yours, will you now?"

The bard grinned conspiratorially. "Count on it. And make sure Autolycus doesn’t get into too much trouble! A new land and all, that’ll appeal to his sense of adventure."

"You mean more trouble than he usually gets into?" Rhonwyn laughed. "I can make no guarantees on that, but I’ll do my best." She glanced at the thief, who was saying his goodbyes to Xena. "We’d best be off now, if we’re to make this next ship to Prydein. May it be well with you, dearest friends and heart’s companions." Autolycus came to stand beside her, and Xena beside Gabrielle; the Druid turned to her friends, and they could see by the distant expression in her eyes that the awen was already descending on her.

Rhonwyn raised her staff, and began to declaim a blessing for Gabrielle and Xena, just as she had the first time that they’d parted ways.

 

"Power of wind be upon you; may it grant you strength unseen.

Power of fire be yours, that you burn with a passionate blaze.

Power of earth be with you; may you be grounded in your convictions.

Power of water be yours, that you flow with fluid grace.

Power of sun be upon you; may light ever shine on your lives.

Power of rock be yours, that you weather the harshest storm.

Power of rain be with you; may blessing ever fall on your way.

Power of love be yours, that it guide you down every path.

A blessing of heart and soul go with you, my friends;

‘Til the day we meet again."

 

Somewhat awed, Xena and Gabrielle stood in silence as Rhonwyn and Autolycus moved off into the distance. The sun was just beginning to rise, and for the first time in many days, the promise of a new day bore no threat to them. Whatever happened, they could face it together; their love had been tried in the harshest of fires, and it had survived. Not only that, but it had been strengthened, like metal forged by Hephaestus himself. It had been shaped, true, but strengthened as well. They had each other, and that was all that mattered.

"Xena? Do you think we’ll ever see her again?"

Xena looked down at the young woman beside her, and she felt the musical tones of Gabrielle’s voice quicken something that spread through her veins to warm her whole being. "I know it," she replied quietly.

She pulled Gabrielle into her arms and bent her head to claim the bard’s lips with her own. The kiss was sweet and full of promise, a joining of souls that was more binding than any ceremony. Xena felt, more than heard, Gabrielle’s soft sigh, and surrendered completely to the wholehearted, accepting current of love that flowed around and between the two of them.

Words failed them both at this moment, but no words were necessary. This was a communion so profound that no words in any language could do it justice.

Their love spoke a language all its own, and their hearts understood it perfectly.

 

 

* * *

 

Mel came back to herself and let out a long, slow breath. The manuscript of Kaitlyn’s final translation lay in front of her. She supposed she should have been awed by the portrait of love that the scroll had just painted for her, but . . .

No. Awe had nothing to do with it. It was familiarity and comprehension that drew her to the ancient account; for her and Janice, it was just the same way.

Voices outside the study window caught her attention, and she got up to join her lover and their erstwhile houseguest in the driveway.

 

The last of the suitcases landed in the back of the jeep with a dull thud. Janice turned to look at Kaitlyn, who stood with her hands shoved deep into the pockets of her Burberry trenchcoat and a stoic grin pasted haphazardly onto her face.

"That ought to do it, kid."

"Yeah . . . yeah, that’s everything." The young woman sighed. "Gods, I can’t believe it’s all over. This has been the craziest summer of my life . . . Harvard will seem so dull after all this!"

"Don’t complain," Mel teased. "Consider it a well deserved semester-long vacation."

"Vacation?" Kaitlyn laughed. "Hardly. I’ve got a degree to finish up this year, in case you’ve forgotten! And then a doctorate at Oxford . . . damn, that’s beyond a dream come true. I can’t believe you managed to make it work out for me." She shuffled her feet, freshly shined boots and all, and stared at the ground. "I hate to go. I’ll miss you two, I really will. But . . ." A smile set her face alight. "It’s not goodbye. It never will be, ‘cause there’s no such thing as far as I’m concerned."

Silence fell for a moment that Janice would later describe as timeless; then hugs and good wishes erupted all around.

"Take care of yourself, kid," Janice declared, playfully swatting the linguist’s fedora down over her eyes. "Come and visit if you ever get the chance, and hell, you never know if we might need to enlist your help again someday."

"Looking forward to it," Kaitlyn retorted. "Any time you need it, just give me a yell. Well, so long, you two, and take care of each other." She gave each of them one last fierce hug.

"Good luck, Kaitlyn," Mel said softly. "So long. And you take care of yourself now, y’hear?"

The linguist vaulted over the jeep door and settled into the driver’s seat. "Same to you two . . . will do, Mel, but you two better promise to send me an autographed copy of the first published edition! You’ll be hearing from me soon." Kaitlyn tipped her hat to them rakishly, gunned the engine, and drove off with a wave.

Mel and Janice stood in silence as the jeep disappeared past the gates.

"She’s a good kid," the archaeologist murmured. "Don’t think we’ve seen or heard the last of her."

The aristocrat nodded and wrapped her arms around Janice. "Not with all the history between her and us."

"No kidding . . ." A kiss from Mel silenced whatever else she’d been about to say. It was warm, loving . . . somehow familiar . . . What was it she’d said back in Macedonia?

 

History. It’s history. Magically preserved against the ravages of time and circumstance, just like the scrolls and artifacts that they now possessed.

So here they were, with the new semester just a few weeks away, and a summer’s worth of work behind them. Now would come the task of preparing the Scrolls for publication, the challenge of proving their ancestors’ existence, and the long wait before publication would actually be possible. It would be rough, all right. No doubt about that. But they’d be facing these challenges together.

To Janice Covington and Melinda Pappas, the challenge wasn’t daunting at all.

 

 

 

The End

 


Return to The Bard's Corner