Out of India

by Enginerd


Chapter 25 - In Search Of Sophia

 

"Are you sure this is Sophia’s room?" Janice asked a worried Mel, who nodded as she tied the sash of her robe around her waist.

Janice knocked firmly and waited. There was no answer.

"We can go to the front desk and ask for a key," Mel suggested.

"Are you suggesting we just barge into her room, in the middle of the night, and take a look around, invading her privacy?" Janice asked with surprise.

"Well, I . . . yes??" Mel said uneasily.

"Hair pin," the doctor said to her assistant and held out her hand.

Mel looked at her ornery partner and sighed with feigned wariness, pulling out a bobby pin from her raven braid and handed it to the grinning archeologist. "We could still go to the front desk and get a key," Mel said again as she guided her hand through her hair to free it from the braid.

"Not necessary," Janice said absently, reluctantly tearing her gaze from the tall woman and her long hair. Janice really liked her hair.

"I’m sure Mrs. Singhare wouldn’t mind," Mel added, then cringed.

Janice stopped and turned. "Mrs. Singhare?"

"Oh . . . didn’t I mention she works here?" Mel said innocently, biting her lip at Janice’s glare. "Which is why we could still get a good deal on rooms, so late . . . at night," Mel explained awkwardly, pushing up her glasses. "And she wouldn’t take no . . . " Mel blurted.

"She is a good woman," Janice interjected softly and skillfully bent the pin before inserting it into the lock. In a few short moments, the lock clicked and Janice looked back at Mel with a pleased smile before opening the door.

"Any other skills you possess that I should know about?" Mel asked flatly, getting a surprised, then amused look. "I didn’t mean . . . I . . ." she blurted, then sighed.

Janice reached back, firmly took her hand with a smile, and led her into the room.

Inside, they found the bed made and a few personal effects on the vanity. "It doesn’t look like she returned," Mel said with worry. "Maybe we should try Raj’s room?"

Hearing a knock on the door, Mel looked at Janice curiously and opened the door.

"Frank?!? What are you doing here?"

"I couldn’t sleep. I had to apologize," he said uncomfortably and looked inside the room. "Sophia isn’t back yet?"

***

The ding of the bell startled Najihma from her newspaper. With a sigh, she laid it on the side table and lifted her sleeping son’s head from her lap, careful not to wake him. Closing the office door behind her, she saw the archeologist as she approached the front desk and smiled warmly.

"Janice?"

Mel sighed.

"Najihma, I need to find out if a friend of mine left any messages for us," Janice said anxiously. "Sophia Themopolis?"

"Let me check," the Indian woman said. Sensing the urgency, she quickly looked through the mail area, in different boxes, then around the phone. "I am sorry. I don’t see anything," she said with concern, seeing the worried look on Janice’s face.

"Great," Frank said with frustration.

"What happened?" Najihma said.

"We argued at the temples and she stormed off with Raj," he said and sat on the sofa in the foyer. "We haven’t seen her since."

 

Najihma looked at Janice. "Well, at least she is with Raj?" she offered, getting an absent nod from the archeologist.

"We’ll go to the temples the first thing in the morning and ask around," Mel said to Frank and Janice.

"Shouldn’t we alert the authorities?" Frank asked, getting the Indian to roll her eyes.

"And say what? She was argued with a handsome man then stormed off with an Indian man?" Najihma said. "They wouldn’t do anything until they thought something suspicious happened."

***

For a second time, the two women quietly got ready for bed.

"You have that look," Mel noted softly as she sat on the edge of the bed and eyed her partner, who climbed under the covers with a grimace. Her injured side still throbbed.

"What look?" Janice said tiredly.

"That look you get when you beat yourself up for something," Mel said.

"I just hope she’s all right," Janice said.

"You’re not blaming yourself for her disappearance, are you?"

Janice looked at her curiously. "You get that from a look?" Janice asked.

"Yes. And you didn’t answer my question."

"Has anyone told you that you are a persistent woman, Miss Pappas?" Janice said settling back in the bed and sighing as she shut her eyes.

"Yes. And you didn’t answer my question."

"Repetitive too."

"Janice," Mel started to get annoyed.

"Damn it, Mel," Janice snapped. "How could I not feel responsible? She’s my friend! I invited her along and now she’s missing!"

"We’ll find her, Janice," Mel said with calm confidence, immediately taking the angry wind out of the archeologist’s sails as Janice sighed heavily.

"Now you have that other look," Mel said, attracting a cautious green gaze.

"And what look is that?"

"The look you get when you want to apologize to me for being difficult but are too stubborn to say it," Mel said.

Janice looked at her as if she were crazy.

"I am not crazy," Mel said with a smile threatening her lips.

"As a Doctor of Archeology I cannot officially make that medical assessment. However, I will say you are scary."

Mel frowned.

"In the best possible sense, of course," Janice added, patting her knee.

"Of course," Mel said flatly and laid down. Janice immediately rolled on her side and slipped an arm over her with a familiarity that made Mel smile.

After a moment, Janice propped herself up, with a wince, and tenderly kissed her. Pulling back, Janice looked into her eyes and whispered "Thank you."

The smile that emerged stayed on Mel’s face, even as she slept.

***

Early the next morning, Najihma met the three Americans in the foyer. "I can drive you," she offered.

Janice glanced at Mel uncomfortably and answered "Thanks but . . . ,"

"We’d appreciate that, thank you," Mel interrupted as Janice looked at her in confusion. "The important thing is finding Sophia," Mel reminded her.

"You’re right," Janice said guiltily. "Of course," she grumbled then grinned at the big, satisfied smile from her tall partner.

As Najihma watched the two women who complemented each other, a sadness welled up as she was reminded of what she had lost and would never again have - Janice’s heart.

The Indian looked to the tall man, who also watched the two women but with a different sadness. He would never know the joy of what Janice had been given - Melinda’s heart.

***

Having no luck finding vendors or tourists around the temple that saw anything helpful, Frank and Mel entered the temple. Pointing to the erotic figures, Frank blurted with vindication "See?!?"

Ignoring Frank, Mel pushed up her glasses and glanced around for Janice and Najihma. She had of course noticed the figures. They were hard to miss. And while impressed by the intricate art work, she didn’t find these figures very erotic - certainly not like those scrolls from Gabrielle. Not even the figure of the two buxom women kissing, across from Janice, was that intriguing.

Janice walked towards them with frustration on her face.

"No luck either?" Janice asked the Southerners, who shook their heads no. "Maybe Najihma will have some," she said hopefully, glancing over to a corner of the temple where the Indian woman was smiling and speaking with an Indian tour guide. Her smile faded as she turned and walked towards the group.

"The tour guide working yesterday is off today," Najihma said with a sigh, than smiled. "But I did get his address."

Janice’s brow rose. "The ol’ Indian charm still works, ay?"

"Not as well as I’d like it to," she said softly. "I’m a bit out of practice."

"So what next?" Frank interjected impatiently.

"We split up," Janice quickly suggested as she glanced around the temple.

"I think I might have better luck with the tour guide at his home," Najihma offered.

"Mel should go with you," Janice quickly blurted, glancing at the surprised women with a weak smile. Mel’s eyes narrowed at Janice, wondering why she would suggest that.

"Bob and I can go to the site. Sophia knows that’s why we’re here. She might show up there," Janice said, looking at Frank, who was also surprised at the suggested pairing.

Najihma looked at the man curiously, wondering why she thought his name was Frank.

***

As they rode to the site in a taxi, Frank looked behind them again. There was a truck following in the far distance on the road. "It’s like he’s . . . nah," Frank said, dismissing his thought as irrational.

"He is following us," Janice said tiredly, glancing out the window as if they were taking a nice leisurely trip.

Frank looked at her with concern, before glancing out the back window again. "Why would someone be following us?!?"

***

"You are uncomfortable," Najihma said knowingly as she drove down the dirt road to the home of the tour guide.

"Yes," Mel said, pushing up her glasses, not liking the woman’s presumption - even if she was right.

"You shouldn’t be. Her eyes, when she looks at you, says more than words could. You are a fortunate woman," Najihma said sincerely.

"This seat . . . is rather uncomfortable," Mel said, pushing down on the old cushion.

Brown eyes looked at her with surprise, then sparkled with amusement. "Then I am afraid you are not as fortunate as I had thought. The drive will be a few more miles," Najihma said.

Mel nodded with a small smile.

***

"Someone seems to think I am on to something very profitable," Janice said, still glancing out the window at the scenery.

"Ancient Greek sex instructions for lesbians is profitable?" Frank asked in disbelief, getting a surprised look from Janice.

"They aren’t aware of those scrolls," she said, shaking her head. "It’s likely they think I’m after gold or some other treasure."

"Are you?"

"Not at the moment. Though those Ancient Greek texts are worth their weight in gold."

"I would have thought a worldly woman, such as you, wouldn’t need such instructions," Frank blurted, looking back for the truck again.

Noticing an uncomfortably silence, he glanced to her, finding her just staring at him. He cleared his throat. "So, you think the people following us have something to do with Sophia and Raj missing?" Frank asked nervously as the taxi stopped.

"Yeah. Unfortunately," Janice said as she got out. She walked towards the site, leaving Frank to pay the cab. After he pulled some change from his pocket and shoved it in the driver’s hand, he got out and jogged to keep up with the short-legged woman.

"What are you going to do now?" He asked with concern looking around and back at the dirt road.

"Meet the archeologist and take a look at the site," Janice said, walking towards a group of workers. Frank frowned.

***

After a few miles driving in silence, Mel eyed the beautiful driver, curiosity killing her. "I know you still care for Janice. W. . . What happened to you two?" Mel asked awkwardly.

"You are right about this seat. It is uncomfortable," Najihma said flatly, finally asked the question she had expected, the question she had asked herself many times.

Mel nodded, not pressing. She was just thankful for her chance to be with Janice now.

"I was betrothed," Najihma finally offered, surprising Mel. "Since I was eight. It was something expected of me and it helped my family," the Indian added uneasily.

"And Janice still pursued a relationship with you?" Mel asked with concern.

"She . . . did not know," Najihma said, still feeling the guilt of that important omission.

Mel looked at the woman a surprised moment, as the enormity of what Janice lost in India started to sink in - her happy family, mother, lover, and her trust . . . .

Anger and deep sorrow washed over her as Mel returned her eyes to the road ahead, without a word. She didn’t trust her tongue.

They rode the rest of the way in silence, each consumed in thought.

***

After talking with two workers who had just emerged from the cave, Janice motioned for Frank to follow her. He looked around uneasily, not really liking the idea of being in a small, dark, suffocating tunnel that led deep into a darker, more suffocating cave. He was going to suggest they both wait outside, in the sun and fresh air, as not to disturb the likely busy archeologist running the dig, considering he would have to take a break sometime and emerge from the bowels of the Earth. But before he could offer the logical suggestion, Janice boldly plunged into the depths of the hillside.

He groaned unhappily and reluctantly followed the small woman. "Dr. Covington?" He called out nervously when he couldn’t see her.

"Keep moving. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel," she said with amusement.

He grimaced and carefully followed, his hand running along the rock walls of their dark path.

"What’s going on?" Frank asked, hearing some faint yelling ahead.

"Shit," she said, just before an explosion rocked the Earth around them, quickly followed by a gust of air that rushed through the tunnel, knocking them down as a wave of debris washed over them.

"Oh God!" Frank moaned with concern, holding his arms over his head.

When the dust settled, the two slowly moved and coughed.

"Huh," Janice grunted as she sat up, dusting off the dirt from her shoulder and hat. "You OK?"

"Am I OK?" Frank asked incredulously. "Am I OK? I was nearly . . . hey! W . . . where are you going?" He asked nervously as he could hear the small woman march ahead. He growled and dusted himself off and followed.

***

Mel sat, politely smiling as Najihma spoke to the Indian tour guide. She couldn’t understand a word they were saying and it was frustrating as all get out. But she did appreciate the melodic sound of the language that warmly floated through the air. Pushing up her glasses, she glanced around the small home, wondering how the man’s large family made due with such a small space. The mud and thatch hut was the size of one of her South Carolina mansion’s bathrooms.

Hearing the laughter of the children playing ball outside, Mel smiled to herself, knowing they might not be rich or have much privacy but they seemed to have a happy life. That’s all she wanted with Janice, she considered, vowing to try her best to make her happy.

Najihma smiled at the tour guide. After he spoke to her, rolling his eyes, she looked at Mel.

"He says the white woman and man got into a heated argument. It wasn’t the first time he has seen a lover’s quarrel at the temples," Najihma said, surprising Mel.

"What about after she stormed off? Did he see anything?" Mel asked anxiously.

Najihma asked the question of the man, who started to shake his head no, then paused. He said something to her, which she quickly translated.

"He recalled seeing a blond man walk with them to a truck across the street," she said, noting how Mel’s eyes grew wide.

"Simon?" Mel whispered with great concern.

The Indian man looked at the American with a frown and said something to Najihma, who responded, offering reassuring words and a smile that the tall woman was all right. She thanked the man, bowing respectfully with her hands pressed together, prompting him to do the same.

Najihma guided the taller woman out of the hut.

"Who is Simon?" Najihma asked as they walked to the car.

"A man Janice fired from her last dig in Greece. He had tried to hurt her before, on our trip here," Mel said and added uneasily. "I wouldn’t put kidnaping Janice’s friends past him."

"Blond haired . . . with brown eyes?" Najihma asked thoughtfully. Mel nodded with surprise. "I think he might have been at the hospital," Najihma said with concern.

***

After a few more minutes in the suffocating tunnel, following the infuriating woman, Frank followed her into an open area, well-lit by a number of floodlights, where workers were busy moving rocks from what looked like a temple. The enormity of the space and temple stunned the lawyer.

"Oh my. Someone actually built something like that, in here," Frank said with surprising appreciation, his neck straining to look up and around the large cave. He was glad he had endured the tunnel.

"The world is full of amazing things. Discovering them is what makes life interesting," Janice said with a smile. "Can’t wait until Mel sees this," she added with enthusiasm.

Frank looked at the woman curiously as she glanced around the cavern.

She spotted what looked like the lead archeologist with a large drawing, arguing with a foreman. When the foreman threw his hands up, shook his head, and walked away, she approached him.

"Dr. Arragu?" Janice said with a smile as she approached him, holding out a hand. "I’m Dr. Janice Covington, a friend of Dr. Tangore’s."

The Indian man, older than Dr. Tangore, smiled at the name and shook her hand with a slight bow.

"This is Todd Coleman from South Carolina," she said as Frank shook the man’s hand and sighed wearily.

"Nice to meet you, sir," Frank said politely, glaring at the archeologist, who looked around the site with a ghost of a grin. She watched workers busily pushing large, squeaky carts of rocks over rails to the other side of the cave away from the excavation area, dumping them on a large pile.

"Sounds like you had some trouble with your foreman," Janice said with a sympathetic wince, glancing towards the man who was talking with a small group. Her eyes immediately shifted to a dark figure disappearing behind some crates near the tunnel opening. Predictable, she thought, wishing she had her pistol or bull whip with her.

"You have no idea. He didn’t follow my instructions on the amount or location of the dynamite and almost caused the temple to collapse with that last explosion! Now have to worry about a weakened structure. We can’t make any more progress excavating until they shore it back up. It has set us back weeks! It is a mess," he lamented, rolling up his drawing of the temple with a heavy sigh.

Frank looked at the temple sadly, hoping they could protect it from further damage.

"I am sure you are not here to hear me complain about my setbacks. What brings you here to my site, Dr. Covington?"

"Actually two things. I was looking for friends who were traveling in this area and interested in your site. One was an attractive red-haired Greek woman, Sophia Themopolis?" Janice said, getting the man to shake his head no. Her gut, and the fact there was a shadow lurking by the crates by the tunnel entrance, told her that Sophia and Raj were in danger, as they all were at the moment.

"I am sure I would have known if someone like that had entered the site," he said with a small smile.

"Yeah. You would have," Janice said, glancing back to the tunnel.

"What is the other thing?"

"You found some Greek scrolls that were believed to be translations of the Kama Sutra. They were written by a Greek bard, Gabrielle of Poteidaia. I have based my life’s work on finding her writings. I was hoping you could show me where you found them."

"Yes! Yes! This is wonderful. I am constantly reminded how small the world really is," he said with delight. "Come, I will show you," Dr. Arragu said, smiling happily as he turned and walked towards the temple.

"Now?? What about Sophia and Raj?" Frank said in confusion as he followed them.

"This shouldn’t take long," Janice said, entering the temple.

"But . . . ," he complained as he entered then gaped at the seven large stones circling the altar, each several heads taller than the Southern gentleman. "Dear God," he said warily.

"Actually, phalluses, or lingams, are symbols of the Hindu God, Shiva, representing him in his role as reproducer. He’s also known as the destroyer and father of Ganesh," Dr. Arragu noted.

"Usually don't you see at the base of a lingam a yoni?"" Janice asked, then saw Frank look at her in confusion. "A female’s . . . uh, personal bits," she explained gently, mindful of the sensitive gentleman.

"Yes," Dr. Arragu responded, interested in his fellow archeologist's observations.

"But there is no obvious yoni, though I guess . . . the circular arrangement of the stones with the strategic position of the altar, could be considered the right shape of a yoni," she said with interest.

Frank looked at her than the statues with a tilted head, trying to see a yoni.

"Exactly what I was thinking!" Dr. Arragu blurted happily. "Come, the scrolls were found over here."

"Is this how you always treat your friends. . . and lovers. Your work comes first?" Frank snapped indignantly.

"Ron, why don’t you go get some fresh air? I won’t be long," she snapped, watching the irritated man shake his head with disgust.

"It’s FRANK!" He barked and left the temple.

"Your companion doesn’t appreciate the attraction of archeology, does he?" Dr. Arragu said sympathetically as they moved to the back of the altar.

"No," Janice said softly, looking at a remarkably unremarkable room that now had empty shelves.

"This is where we found them. There were no other artifacts except a number of scrolls, which we have already sent onto the University of Delhi for archiving," Dr. Arragu said, watching the archeologist look around the barren room, touching a stone shelf with her fingertips, almost like a caress.

He smiled. "Do you have any idea why a Greek bard’s scrolls ended up here?" He asked with genuine interest.

"No. We had some evidence Gabrielle and Xena, her partner, came to India. I wasn’t sure we’d find anything substantial here," she admitted with a shrug.

"It sounds like you did," Dr. Arragu said with a chuckle. His smile disappeared when he noted something was off. The sound of the workers removing rubble had stopped.

"It’s quiet," Janice said with surprise.

Dr. Arragu glanced at his watch. "Ahh! They think they break early for lunch again and still get paid for a full days work!?! We’ll see about that," he said and stormed out of the temple.

***

Frank emerged from the tunnel, shielding his eyes from the bright, beautiful sun with his forearm. He took a deep, refreshing breath of fresh air. As a dozen workers emerged shortly after him, he wondered how they could do that job day after day. They looked poor and probably had no choice, he considered. But Mel had a choice and still chose a difficult and most unladylike path to be with that harsh woman, he thought with a frown.

The workers start to chatter in their native tongue and point to the road with concern as a car barreled towards them. The laborers scattered for safety as he glanced up to the road with wide eyes. The car quickly came towards him and skidded to a halt in front of him, kicking up dust from the dry road. He coughed.

"Where’s Janice?" Mel said, jumping out of the passenger’s side of the car.

"Mel! Najihma! You could have killed someone driving like . . . , " Frank scolded them as they joined him.

"FRANK! Where’s Janice?!?" Mel demanded with no patience.

"She’s touring the site," Frank said disapprovingly. "We’re no closer to finding Sophia or who took her and yet she wants to waste time touring the site!" He blurted, pointing to the tunnel then glaring at Melinda. "What could you possibly see in someone, who would . . ."

"Frank, we don’t have time for this!" Mel snapped, then looked at him curiously. "Janice thinks Sophia and Raj were taken too?"

"There was a truck following us and she thought there was a connection, which is exactly why she shouldn’t be wasting. . . ." Frank started again.

Najihma interrupted and pointed. "Is that the truck?"

Frank and Mel looked over to the beat up truck among other old vehicles. Frank looked at Mel and nodded weakly, knowing that was not a good sign.

"We’ve got to go warn her!" Mel said, rushing towards the tunnel entrance with Najihma closely on her heels.

"But . . . ," Frank said as they disappeared into the tunnel. He frowned, and reluctantly followed the women back into the cramped tunnel.


Chapter 26 - Excavations

 

As Janice patiently waited in the temple, she walked around the altar and pondered the latest puzzle of history which was both fascinating and frustrating as hell - almost as frustrating as this cat and mouse game with those three jerks. The hair on the back of her neck rose. She could feel the danger as someone entered the temple.

"Fascinating, isn’t it?" She announced, turning towards a startled Eric Donavitchi, who pointed a pistol towards her.

"Janice," he said, trying to not show his surprise.

"So what brings you to India, Eric? Business or pleasure?" She said, plastering on a smile.

"Both, I hope," he said. "What is it this time? Gold? Gems?" He said with excitement in his eyes.

"Scrolls."

"Scrolls? You mean a treasure map?" He asked with confusion.

"Hmmm." Janice thought a moment.

"Give them to me and your friends don’t have to get hurt," Eric impatiently said with a pleased smile.

"They’re OK?" Janice asked neutrally.

"For now. I want the scrolls."

"Eric, they are at the University of Delhi," Janice said with a shrug, knowing of the two Donavitchi brothers, he wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, or the most patient, or the most reasonable, or the . . . .

"We expected you’d try to pull one over on us again. If you don’t hand over the scrolls, we’ll start playing with your friends. How about a finger for each day you take?" Eric said with amusement.

"I’m not sure what that idiot Simon told you, but there are no diamonds, there’s no gold, there’s no money. We don’t even have the scrolls. And I really don’t think they would interest you . . . much."

"Right," he said, unbelieving. "So you sent us on a wild goose chase just for fun?"

"Well, it was amusing . . . at the time."

"You know, I have ways to make you talk," Eric said with a smile, pulling out a knife. "Or at least. . . bleed."

"You know that’s not a very good idea, Eric. If you accidentally kill me, who will tell you what you want to know?" she asked calmly, surprising him. "So where’s Giorgio?" She said, eyeing the pistol and the knife, really wishing she had something.

"Why?"

"Well, I’m not so sure you will understand everything. Just want to make sure there’s no confusion," she smiled thinly. "So, where is he?"

"I’ll understand just fine. Stop wasting time!" Eric snapped, stepping towards her.

"Are you sure Giorgio would appreciate you cutting him out?" Janice stalled, looking around the temple as he stepped closer. There was nothing she could grab to use as a weapon, she concluded and glanced at the giant lingam near her. She rolled her eyes. All she needed was a plan.

Step one - get a plan, she thought wearily.

"I’m not . . . !" He growled, then stopped, irritated she could so easily fluster him.

She really should take his toys away from him before someone gets hurt, she concluded, eyeing his proximity and the two weapons.

"Just give me what I want or I leave and start sending you pieces of your friends until you wise up," he threatened.

Janice looked at Eric, wishing she had gold to give him. She glanced at the altar behind her uneasily. "There’s nothing here. Really," she said unconvincingly, glancing back at the altar again. He was only two steps too far, she considered.

Eric smiled as he eyed the altar. "You think you can fool me, don’t you?"

***

As the three emerged from the tunnel and entered the cave, Mel and Najihma looked at the large temple with awe.

"Oh my!" Mel said, making Frank smile and note "That’s what I said."

"It is truly magnificent," Najihma said taking in the sight.

Their appreciation was cut short when a single gunshot echoed throughout the large cave.

"Janice!" Mel gasped with fear, starting towards the temple. Hearing a deep, frightening groan from the structure, Frank quickly grabbed her. "NO!" Mel snapped, trying to get out of his grip to go to Janice. He picked the struggling woman up and hauled her behind the shelter of a rail cart full of rubble. Najihma nervously followed, glancing back at the temple with concern as she joined them.

"Get your hands off of . . . !" Mel’s angry protest stopped when a wall of the temple caved in, issuing a strong gust of rubble and dirt that violently pinged and knocked against the metal cart. "No . . . " she gasped with fear.

***

Mel’s heart pounded as they stood up to look at what was left of the temple. After angrily casting off Frank’s hand from her arm, she nervously approached the entrance.

The pillars and arch at the entrance still stood intact, but a pile of freshly fallen debris blocked their entry.

Mel stood looking at the temple numbly, almost as if trying to understand what had just happened. Janice couldn’t be dead, she thought. She had promised to fight for them, Mel recalled, considering that fighting for her life was clearly and fully within the bounds of that promise.

"Janice Covington! I am NOT in the mood for this. Where are you!?!" Mel angrily cried out.

Frank glanced at Mel with concern, then Najihma, who kept looking at the temple with silent fear.

"Melinda," Frank said sadly, wincing at her unrealistic hope anyone could have possibly survived that collapse. He gently reached out for her shoulder.

"Janice! Do you hear me?? Say something!" Mel demanded, rejecting the tall man’s attempted comfort as she pulled her shoulder away from his unwanted touch.

"Jan . . . ," she blurted again, then froze, hearing a faint noise. She tilted her head, straining to pinpoint exactly where that noise was coming from. She heard it again!

"Melinda?" Frank said with concern, immediately getting shushed.

"Listen!" She snapped.

Frank thought the poor woman was hallucinating, until he heard a faint coughing echoing inside the structure.

"Janice?!?" Mel called out, seeing if there was some way to get through the wall of rubble.

"Mel," the archeologist exhaled weakly, but clearly. Frank’s jaw dropped. Najihma exhaled with a soft laugh of joy.

"Janice!" Mel gasped, steadying herself against a large boulder, as a wave of relief almost knocked her over. Taking a deep, fortifying breath, she stood tall and pushed up her glasses, knowing the real work had just begun. "The front entrance is blocked. Is there another way to you?" Mel asked, not wanting to risk climbing over the collapsed wall.

"I . . . I don’t know," Janice said groggily, blinking her eyes.

Mel frowned and quickly started to dig away at the pile of rocks. Najihma quickly joined her. Frank blinked, staring at the two determined women for an amazed moment, before starting to help.

Some dirt and small pebbles rained down on the archeologist from the structure above, causing a wince. Janice glanced up. A portion of what had been the floor had crumbled beneath the weight of the collapsed wall, crashing into a room just beneath the altar. What was left of the floor, did not look sound. She needed to get out of there, she quickly concluded and reached out, feeling the heavy statue pinning her leg. Taking a deep breath, she tried to pull her leg free. "Agh!" she cried out.

"Janice! Are you OK?" Mel called out.

Janice sighed. "I’ve had worse," she said, scowling at the statue still pinning her.

"I heard a gunshot," Mel blurted with fear, holding a rock in her hands. "H . . .have you been shot?"

"No. When I tried to take the gun away from Eric Donavitchi, it went off," she said weakly and coughed. "Mel," she said with urgency. "He and his brother have Sophia and Raj. They think I have something worth stealing - thanks to that idiot Simon. I don’t know where they are."

"We know Simon was involved," Mel said with irritation.

Another dusting of dirt and debris fell on to the archeologist, who tried again to free her leg, but with more force. "Fuck!"

"Janice?!?" Mel said, pausing in her digging.

"My goddamn leg is stuck!" She yelled angrily, causing another dusting of debris to fall down on her.

"Don’t worry. We’re going to get you out," Mel said with determination, causing Janice concern.

"Mel, the temple isn’t stable. You shouldn’t come inside. It isn’t safe for you," Janice quickly blurted.

"And it isn’t safe for you either. We’re going to get you out," Mel countered firmly as she removed more debris, opening up a small hole into the temple.

"Damn it, Mel! I mean it!!" She yelled, pounding her fist in the dirt.

Frank eyed Mel uncomfortably. Dr. Covington was right. It wasn’t safe.

"Don’t argue with me," Mel warned, continuing to dig with Najihma and Frank’s help.

"Don’t ignore me! Go get the workers to help," Janice said tightly with frustration as Mel ignored her advice, again. She attempted to pull her unmoving leg, once again only managing to cause pain to shoot through her limb. She sucked in an uneasy breath, then sighed, looking looked around. Her gaze zeroed in on a triangular shaped rock by her. Reaching out as far as she could, Janice was barely able to reach that would-be shovel. Her fingertips brushed the edge, pushing it further from her. "Fuck," she growled and closed her eyes with a frustrated sigh. When she opened them, something shiny in the dirt caught her eye. She laughed without any amusement.

When there was finally a hole big enough for her to get through, Mel pushed up her glasses and started to climb over the rocks.

"Melinda? Shouldn’t we listen to her and let the workers do this?" Frank said with concern.

"YES!" Janice shouted, causing more dust and debris to shower down. "God damn it!" She spit the dirt from her mouth, feeling helpless and hating every minute of it.

Mel’s cold glare answered his question. "Frank, I am going to get her out of there before something else collapses. I would appreciate your help, not your arguments."

Frank watched with amazement as Melinda Pappas crawled through the opening, unable to believe how determined this stubborn woman was to risk her life.

When Najihma awkwardly started to climb up to the opening in her sari, Frank gently held her arm and offered. "Najihma, I’ll go."

She looked at him with a pleased smile. "Good. I think your muscle will be more useful. If you need me, I’ll be here."

***

Once through the opening, Mel carefully stood up and looked around the temple. Seeing the crater in the middle of the floor where the altar once was, Mel took an uneasy breath, knowing Janice had been lucky to survive the collapse. To her right, she spotted a pillar that had fallen partially into the room below but remained intact, sticking up through the hole. She could use it to climb down, she considered with excitement. As she got closer to the pillar, she realized it wasn't a pillar.

"Oh Good Lord," Mel said wearily, rolling her eyes.

"Mel, I mean it. Go get some help. You shouldn’t be here!" Janice called up with irritation.

"Janice, be a dear and keep quiet?" Mel said as she started her climb down. "All that hollering can’t be good for you or the temple," she offered pleasantly. With her feet finally on the ground, she looked around, unable to see her partner.

Seeing an arm sticking out from beneath the broken altar in a pool of blood, she gasped.

"Mel?"

"I think I’ve found Eric Donavitchi," she said with a wince. "Or at least . . . his arm."

"Dead?"

"Yes," she said tightly and pushed up her glasses. With an uneasy exhale, she looked around and frowned. "Keep talking."

"But you told me to shut up before," Janice grumbled and coughed. She spotted more shiny flecks peaking through the dirt and sighed. Figures.

"Wonderful," Frank muttered as he started to climb down after Mel, trying not to think of the statue he was straddling.

"I did not tell you to shut up," Mel argued, then spotted the archeologist’s head. "Janice!" She gushed with relief, awkwardly going to her side, nearly stumbling over the rocks littering the floor. "Is anything broken?" She asked with concern, carefully placing her hands on Janice, not waiting for an answer.

Janice looked at her with irritation. "I think your hearing must be broken, because I distinctly recall telling you to go get help because it’s not safe for you!" Janice growled.

"I heard you perfectly well, Janice. I just don’t agree with leaving you," Mel said with a polite smile. Janice sighed wearily. "Is that . . . ?" Mel said, spotting some shiny objects in the dirt.

"Yeah. Exactly what Simon and the Donavitchi’s expected me to be looking for. Funny, isn’t it," Janice said flatly.

Mel shook her head at the high cost of that greed and looked towards Frank, who was frozen in place, staring at the arm in the pool of blood. "Frank," Mel called out, drawing his attention away from the sickening sight. When he joined them, he eyed the archeologist’s predicament with interest. He quickly swallowed his amusement when he saw green eyes just daring him to say something stupid.

"I want you to lift up this . . . statue, while I pull Janice out," Mel said.

More debris rained down as the temple structure groaned ominously. "Get Mel out of here now," Janice said with urgency.

Frank winced as he looked between the two stubborn women.

"Dr. Covington, even if I manage that formidable task, you know she’ll find a way to have her way," Frank said uneasily. Mel smiled with satisfaction and pushed up her glasses.

"Now go pick up the . . . statue and I’ll pull Janice out," Mel said firmly as the building moaned again and more dust rained down.

"Mel, sweetheart. Please. Go get the workers to do this?" The concerned archeologist said as sweetly as she could as Mel sat behind her and wrapped her long arms around her torso, ignoring her request.

Being between Mel’s legs and wrapped up in those long arms, might have been more pleasurable, had she not been stuck under a goddamn giant DICK in a fucking temple that was about to collapse and kill them ALL, Janice thought with a growl, watching the muscular Southern gentleman grunt as he tried to get a good grip around the stone phallus - EXACTLY the last image she wanted to see just before they all died!

"Stop fighting and trust me," Mel said softly into Janice’s ear. The archeologist sighed, unhappy with her lack of options and inability to be furious with this woman. "If our roles were reversed, would you have waited for help?" Mel added.

"That’s not the point!" Janice argued.

"Where you go, I go, Janice," Mel said simply, kissing her temple tenderly.

"I think there are times when that is not a good idea," Janice muttered.

"Which I strongly suspect are the times when I think it is," Mel said with a small smile, looking up to see Frank staring at the women thoughtfully.

"Lift the . . . statue on the count of three?" Mel suggested. Frank rolled his eyes and nodded.

"One . . . two . . . THREE!" she called out. Frank grunted, slowly performing the Herculean task of lifting the large stone phallus. Even though it barely moved, Janice felt amazing relief from the weight shifting off her leg. "That’s it!" Frank barked, straining to keep the monolith off of Janice’s limb.

Planting her feet in the ground, Mel quickly yanked with all her might, freeing the archeologist just before the phallus slipped from Frank’s arms and fell to the ground with a heavy thud which reverberated through the temple. Janice quickly turned and covered Mel to shield her from the latest shower of debris. After a quiet moment, Janice cautiously peeled herself off of Mel and sat up, looking at the Southerner, who laid still except for pushing up her glasses.

"Frank? Are you OK?" Janice called out, relieved to see him getting up and dusting himself off.

"Yeah," he said, glancing at the woman's cozy position. He dropped his eyes uncomfortably and looked around and up through the hole above.

"So, are you ready to leave, or would you like to look around a bit?" Janice asked with irritation, getting a smirk from the Southern gentleman, whose eyes drifted back to the women.

Mel sat up and hugged her tightly, surprising Janice, who hugged her back. "We can leave now," the Southerner declared softly, then pulled back, eyeing Janice’s forehead. "We’ll need to clean those stitches."

Mel tenderly wiped some dirt off of Janice’s cheek. Janice captured the hand and kissed it before getting up. Frank’s gaze broke away uncomfortably.

"Whoa," Janice blurted uneasily, hopping a bit as she tested out her tender leg.

Mel quickly stood and reached for her arm. "Can you walk?"

"I can limp. How did you get down?" Janice asked, looking up at the hole that was once the temple floor.

"We climbed down that . . . ," Mel pointed to the statue that was now laying on the ground in big pieces. "Oh."

"Don’t worry ladies, we can pile some rocks up and climb out," Frank suggested confidently as he joined their side.

A rope hit Frank in the head. The three looked up the rope to find Najihma peeking over the edge. "Hurry up!" She said impatiently.

"Or we could use this rope I just found," Frank said flatly, holding the end up and eyeing it.

***

A few British soldiers ran into the cave, followed by the stunned Indian archeologist who looked at his temple with a gaping mouth. "Oh no," he repeated in horror, shaking his head.

Colonel Whitcomb scanned the area, spotting four dust-covered people emerging from the structure.

"The British are coming again," Janice noted flatly, looking up at her partner, who she had leaned on as she limped away from the dangerous structure.

"Be nice."

"We’re saved," Najihma replied flatly.

"All of you."

"Better late than never?" Frank joined in with a shrug.

"Et tu, Frank?" Mel said and rolled her eyes. To her surprise, Janice suddenly pulled away from her as the Colonel approached. "Janice?"

The archeologist looked at her. "I’m OK," she said, softly but firmly as she made a show of putting weight on her tender leg. "See?"

Mel saw the slight wince, knowing that pride of hers was once again causing her to do something that wasn’t good for her. Dear Lord, the woman was too darn stubborn for her own good, Mel considered, sighing heavily.

"Miss Pappas! Dr. Covington! Is everyone all right?" The older man asked with genuine concern.

"Not everyone," Mel said, looking at Janice.

"Eric Donavitchi is dead," Janice said. "He fired his pistol in the temple and it collapsed on him."

"And you," Mel added that important fact. The Colonel quietly looked between the women.

"I’m OK," Janice said firmly, looking at the tall woman.

"Though, a little worse for wear," Mel said, eyeing the archeologist.

"I told you. . . ." Janice said tightly.

"Was this all caused by that Simon fellow?" Whitcomb interrupted as Dr. Arragu continued to pace in the background, stopping occasionally to look at the structure with a amazement.

"Indirectly," Mel said with a frown.

"You called him??" Janice asked Mel, who nodded.

"It wasn’t my idea," Najihma offered, getting a glare from the tall woman. "Shall we go and wait at my car now?" She asked looking at Frank, who quickly nodded with a thankful smile.

"We’ll be waiting at her car, Colonel," Frank said to Whitcomb, who nodded absently as he watched the two woman continue. Frank and Najihma quickly left.

"Janice, we need his help," Mel said firmly. Janice never had been one to ask for help or even particularly receptive to it when freely offered. But the Southerner knew there were just times when people, even highly self-sufficient women like Janice, needed a little help from others. "Remember what you said to Nicholas?" Mel added softly.

Recalling that little pick-me-up speech, which Mel had apparently committed to memory, Janice frowned, wondering what other annoying tidbits the Southerner had tucked away.

***

After speaking with the Colonel about the attack, the stubborn archeologist began to walk without help, towards the tunnel. Spotting Dr. Arragu, now sitting on a crate and numbly staring at his collapsed temple, she took a deep breath and bravely walked up to him.

Mel cringed at the potential volatile situation with the Indian archeologist. >From personal experience, she knew that had someone damaged Janice’s work, the archeologist would explode. That just made Mel more amazed at the woman, who, in spite of living by an unconventional set of rules, always tried to do the right thing. Another reminder of why she loved the temperamental and stubborn archeologist.

The bitter Dr. Arragu ignored Janice until she held her hand out for a few patient moments. His eyes finally lowered to her palm and widened. He slowly took the two gold coins from her hand, his jaw now dropping for an entirely different reason.

"There’s more. It’ll take time, but you can recover from this," she offered sympathetically, knowing how it feels to see something you care about become ruined.

Stunned, he looked up and nodded, then silently inspected the coins, thinking she just might be right.


Chapter - The Scenic Route

 

Janice climbed into the back seat of Najihma’s car, surprised when the colonel closed the door and smiled through the open window.

"Don’t worry, Dr. Covington," the Colonel said confidently. "My men and I are not going to rest until we find your friends. I promise." He nodded at the archeologist and the Southern Lady, who sat next to her with a smile.

"Thank you, Colonel," Melinda said, grateful they had some clues and the help of the authorities.

Janice looked at him neutrally, not feeling the same comfort as her partner. Finding the Donavitchi’s truck missing after they had emerged from the tunnel left them all feeling more worried about their friends’ safety. "Simon’s a bastard, Colonel, but Giorgio is far worse. And there’s no telling what he will do now that his brother is dead."

"I had my men looking for this Simon fellow, after Miss Pappas’ call to us. Don’t worry, we’ll get them," he said confidently, getting a smile from Melinda. In the front seat, Frank curiously watched as Najihma silently rolled her eyes at his confident promises.

"You’ll let us know as soon as you find anything?" Janice asked.

"Of course. On all fronts," the man smiled at her.

Janice nodded uncomfortably. "Good hunting, Colonel," she said, getting the man to stand tall and nod respectfully to her before he left.

***

Najihma drove the quiet group away from the site, back to their hotel. Though the authorities were off investigating where the remaining Donavitchi brother and Simon were, none of them would feel relieved until the two friends were found, safe and sound. Frank silently glanced over Najihma, then back to Mel, who watched her partner with concern.

"This will be over soon," Mel said softly to Janice, reaching out for Janice’s hand and squeezed it.

Janice looked at their hands and squeezed back. Glancing up at Mel, she softly announced "I’m still mad at you."

"I know, Janice. I love you too," Mel said with a soft smile, getting a nod from Janice before she squeezed Mel’s hand again and returned her gaze out her window. Mel pushed up her glasses and looked forward, finding Frank gazing thoughtfully at their still-clasped hands. He looked up, then gave an uneasy smile before silently turning forward.

Mel sighed. She would have to learn to not let other people’s discomfort bother her. She certainly wasn’t going to give up holding Janice’s hand when she felt like it . . . or needed to.

"Najihma," Janice said, looking at the Indian curiously. Their eyes met in the rear view mirror. "When we get back to the hotel, can you call the area hotels to see if three Greek men had checked in two nights ago?" Janice asked, getting a nod and smile of understanding. "She might be able to get that information from the Indian businesses faster than the British," she explained with renewed energy, glancing at Mel, who nodded.

"I will do that," Najihma said with a smile.

"Uh . . . ," Frank said uneasily, glancing at the side mirror. "Hold on!" he blurted as Giorgio Donavitchi sped towards them and rammed into the back end of Najihma’s car.

***

Giorgio drove with only one thing on his mind - to cause the archeologist as much pain as she caused him. He collided his truck into the smaller car again. The passengers jostled like rag dolls, he thought with an amused chuckle. His smile faded as he reached for his pistol. Positioning his truck along side the Indian’s car, he pointed his weapon at the driver with a vicious smile. He drank in her fear, seeing it in her wide eyes. He pulled the trigger but the car suddenly dropped back, causing him to snarl angrily at the wasted bullet. He slammed on his breaks and whipped his head around to see that the car had veered off the road and disappeared into the forest.

They can’t run from me, he thought with single-minded determination and stepped on the gas as he turned hard. Dirt spewed from beneath his frantic wheels as he chased after them.

***

"He’s not happy," Janice said flatly, glancing out the back of their bouncing vehicle, not seeing the truck she knew was on their tail.

"I gathered that!" Najihma said, navigating with difficulty thorough the thick brush with her small, newly dented car that jostled violently as it got further beaten and wacked by the branches and shrubs. Though, it was still preferable to being shot, she considered with her eyes nervously fixed on the rough road ahead.

Suddenly the driver and passengers lurched forward when the car hit a large felled branch, popping its two front tires and causing the hubcaps to fly off. The vehicle came to an abrupt halt.

"Mel?" Janice quickly sat up and looked at her partner. "I’m OK," Mel said, and adjusted her crooked glasses. "Najihma? Frank?" She asked, looking at the two in the front seat with concern.

"Fine," Najihma said, looking at her passengers.

"Uh, yeah," Frank said, rubbing his bruised forearm. He looked over to Najihma. "I’ve been wanting to explore the country side . . . " he offered with amusement. Najihma rolled her eyes.

Janice looked back to find the truck closing in on them. "Get out and take cover! He only wants blood now," Janice barked. The three quickly obeyed and got out. Najihma and Frank ran towards large trees as Mel followed hesitantly, noticing Janice was still at the car. "Janice!?!" She called out.

"Go!" Janice said, quickly sorting through the contents of the cluttered trunk she had opened. Under a few boxes and blankets, she found what she was looking for. Grabbing the tire iron, she turned to find Mel standing right in front of her.

"Jesus Christ!" The startled archeologist blurted, strangling the tire iron.

"No, Melinda Pappas. You haven’t been to Church in a while, have you?" Mel said, pushing up her glasses.

"God Damn it, Mel. Go take cover!" Janice barked, pointing to a large tree many yards away.

"I will when you do," Mel said, stubbornly standing her ground.

"Fuck! It’s too late," Janice blurted, watching the truck close in on them. "Get down and stay down!" Janice barked, pulling the tall woman down behind the car with her.

Mel looked at the truck then Janice with concern as Janice kept her eyes on the truck then suddenly ducked further down and said "down!" She crouched down further just before a gunshot shattered the window above them.

"Ugh!" Mel said, holding her arms over her head, wondering why Janice thought sticking by the car was a good idea.

"You and you’re friends are dead, Covington!" Giorgio shouted out as he drove past.

"Mel?" Janice looked at her with concern.

"I’m OK, I’m OK," Mel said nervously, carefully brushing off the glass shards.

"You know what?" Janice said, watching the truck turn around for another run at them.

"What?"

"I don’t think Najihma will ever volunteer to drive me anywhere again."

"Well, could you really blame her?" Mel said uneasily, looking through the shattered window for the truck.

"Duck!" Janice said, seeing Giorgio’s pistol aimed at them as he returned. The gunshot and the subsequent thwack of the bullet hitting the metal of the door made Mel jump.

Janice peaked out, gauging the distance of the truck from them. She looked around, then back at the truck, which had turned and started towards them again. Mel did not like the determined look on Janice’s face.

"What are you thinking?!?" Mel said with alarm.

"I’m not a duck," Janice said, keeping her eye on the truck.

"What . . . ?!?"

Seeing the driver point his gun, Janice placed a hand on Mel’s shoulder, interrupting the Southerner. They ducked down just before he shot at them again, shattering another window.

"Oh! " Mel blurted nervously at the loud sound. After the latest shower of glass, she looked up, too stunned to speak as she watched in silent horror as the archeologist suddenly popped up from behind the car and ran to the truck as it drove past. In what appeared to be suicide to all watching, Janice hurled her body into the back of the truck, like a high jumper rolling over the bar. She landed in the bed with a loud thud. "Ugh."

***

"S. . .she’s crazy!" Frank blurted from behind his tree.

"Many have thought that," Najihma said, adding with a small smile "And many would be right."

***

Giorgio drove wildly, trying to prevent the crazy woman from getting a firm footing in the back. She didn’t need a firm footing as she instead knelt, riding through the bucking of the truck. With a solid swing that a professional baseball player would admire . . . if he only had a tire iron and was stuck in the back of a truck of a madman trying to kill them . . . Janice shattered the back windshield.

Giorgio recoiled from the flying shards, then angrily turned back and pointed his pistol at her with a grin, which faded as he curiously noted that the look of surprise in her eyes was not directed at him or his gun. He quickly turned forward to find the reason for the archeologist’s look and slammed on the brakes. The truck skidded as Giorgio tried to turn away but it was too late. The front end of the truck crashed into the tree as the archeologist tried to jump.

"Dear Lord!" Mel gasped, watching the archeologist tumble out of the truck and land hard, on her back.

Janice lay stunned, struggling for air. The wind was knocked out of her, causing pain with each attempted breath. As she heard the truck door open, she knew he would have a clear shot at her, wondering if she had finally jumped into something she couldn’t fight her way out of. Gazing at the clear sky as she struggled for air, she saw a familiar blue, knowing Mel would be pissed if she stopped fighting now. Hearing footsteps approach, she struggled to sit up and look around for the tire iron. It had to be close . . . she hoped.

"I should let you watch your friends die first. But I’m not one to pass up an opportunity," Giorgio said, wiping the blood from his brow with his forearm. "But don’t worry, they will die too."

Janice looked up at the man and with difficulty, slowly stood. "I’m sorry . . . about your brother," she gasped, starting to fill her lungs with precious air. Maybe she could talk him out of it, she considered.

"He was all I had left," he said tightly as he pointed his gun.

Maybe not, she reconsidered with a wince.

As he pulled the trigger, a round metal object collided with his weapon. The bullet hit a tree just behind Janice as the pistol flew from his hand. It landed next to the hubcap that rolled to a stop.

Quickly taking advantage of her change in fortune, Janice glanced at the pistol that lay closer to the stunned man, who didn’t realize it yet. She growled and tackled him before he could go after the weapon.

Frank and Najihma emerged from the trees and ran towards them as the two rolled around in the dirt, trading blows. Mel went to the pistol and picked it up. Turning confidently, she pointed it at the two. "Stop!"

The two continued their angry struggle, oblivious to the woman with the gun.

"Freeze!" She said with authority, growing very irritated at the lack of response from the fighters.

Fed up, Mel fired at the ground just above their heads. The fighters froze. Janice glanced up with surprise and a little concern. The shot was very close. Giorgio looked up indecisively, thinking of what he could do to gain the upper hand again.

"The next shot will be at you, Mr. Donavitchi. I really don’t want to shoot you," Mel said neutrally. "But make no mistake, I will," she added, her cold gaze giving him pause. "Now, please get away from my partner."

As Frank and Najihma joined them, the Southern gentleman stood ready to lend some muscle. But the annoyed look on Giorgio’s face told Frank he knew better than to test Melinda.

As Janice rolled away and got up, she eyed her tall protector with amazement and appreciation. "It’s obvious you’re a descendant of Xena’s," she said glancing at the hubcap with amusement. "But Annie Oakley?" She looked at the pistol, then the Southerner, who pushed up her glasses with a shrug.

***

After tying up and gagging Giorgio, Janice looked at the man then patted him down. Frank looked questioningly at Mel, who wasn’t sure what she was doing either, since they had the pistol.

Stopping at his right pant pocket, Janice tried to reach in but Giorgio growled and bucked. She looked at him. "Have it your way," she said, just before yanking on his pocket and tearing the material. Janice picked up the room key that fell out and held it up for Najihma’s inspection.

"That’s from the Khajuraho Haven!" Najihma said with excitement which evaporated when Mel asked. "How will we get there?"

They all looked at Najihma’s poor car and the truck that now wore a tree as a hood ornament. Mel’s question was answered when two jeeps drove towards them through the brush.

"Never Mind," Mel chuckled.

"The British are . . . ," Janice said flatly.

"Be nice," Mel reminded her partner, resting her hand on Janice’s shoulder and stepping closer.

As if she needed to be close to the smaller woman, Frank thought. Watching their smiles and those gazes which they quietly shared, which could only be considered as loving, Frank tried to reconcile the abomination which he had been raised to label it, with their obvious love, which he had witnessed in so many subtle and not so subtle ways. What ever "it" was, he knew he could never compete with it.

"This may be the first time I am pleased to see them," Najihma said.

***

Simon sighed with boredom as he tossed the newspaper on the table and looked over at his hostages. Still sitting back-to-back and tied up in chairs, the Indian meditated as the prostitute glared at him. He smiled and got up, deciding to have some long overdue fun.

He looked over her well-endowed body, causing her some alarm. She cursed at him, though the gag muffled it. He traced his fingers over her cheek, then down her neck. Sophia protested, trying to shake him off.

"What are you doing?" Raj asked with alarm.

"None of your concern boy," Simon said, unbuttoning the top button of her blouse.

"Please do not do anything to her," Raj said.

"I won’t hurt her. I intend to make her feel real good," Simon said, unbuttoning the next button to her displeasure. She growled.

"But she doesn’t want you to, can’t you see that? What pleasure can she get from your touch if it is unwanted?" Raj argued.

"Oh, she wants me. She just doesn’t know it yet," Simon said, slowly touching her chest, then cupping her breast and kneading it through her shirt. She struggled harder and loudly protested through her gag.

"Please stop," Raj pleaded.

"Why do you care? She’s just a prostitute," Simon said, looking into her angry eyes as he continued to knead her breast.

"She is a good woman who does not deserve to be treated like this!" Raj argued. "Please, do not do this!"

"She brought this on herself. I have to show her who has more talent," Simon said as he ripped her shirt all the way open, leaving her bra. "Nice," he said, appreciating her attributes that jiggled as Sophia recoiled from his touch.

The sound of a key entering the lock caused Simon to look up with alarm. "Damn it!" He muttered, standing up nervously, not wanting to share the woman with the Donavitchi’s but knowing he couldn’t object. Turning towards the door, he stood in front of Sophia, trying to block their view of her with a slim hope they’d just leave.

He gasped, shocked to see the woman he loathed and the tall linguist walk in the room.

"Hello, Simon," Janice said coldly as the man glanced around frantically for a way out as he stepped back, away from menacing archeologist.

Mel quickly spotted Sophia and Raj, tied back-to-back. The condition of Sophia’s blouse made Mel’s blood boil. In a dangerous moment, she acted on that anger, hitting Simon squarely in the jaw. He dropped like a bag of bricks. Mel winced at the pain and shook her throbbing hand, embarrassed by her lack of control.

Looking up from the unconscious man, Janice blinked at her partner. "Let me guess, you’re related to Joe Louis too?"

"Joe who?" Mel asked in confusion, rubbing her sore hand.

"You can’t not know who Joe Louis is," Janice said incredulously as she took her partner’s hand and inspected it, quickly concluding the injury would only result in bruising.

"Well I’m sorry, his name doesn’t ring a bell," Mel said defensively, wondering why Janice was making such a big deal about it.

"Doesn’t ring a . . . bell," Janice said and stared at her in amazement, until she heard annoyed muttering from their bound friend, prompting her to quickly go to Sophia’s side and ungag her.

Sophia erupted. "Pftht! That goddamn slimy son of a rat bastard! Kick him! Yeah! Kick him, so he’ll never walk straight again!"

"Are you all right, Sophia?" Mel asked softly, squeezing her shoulder as Janice untied her friends.

"I am now, thanks to you," she said, looking between her two friends. "You came just in time."

"Oh dear, I’ll have to wait to formally arrest him," Colonel Whitcomb said with disappointment as he entered the room and spotted his criminal on the floor.

Sophia stood and hugged Mel as Janice looked into Raj’s eyes, getting a simple nod to her unspoken question.

"Thank you," Sophia said softly to the Southerner, getting an embarrassed smile. "You did exactly what I wanted to do ever since I met the creep."

"I guess Janice is rubbing off on me," Mel joked with embarrassment, flexing her sore hand.

"If you’re guessing, she’s doing it all wrong, honey," Sophia said, then hugged Raj. "You are a good man, Raj," she said softly as she pulled back. She caressed his cheek with as small smile.

His eyes dropped shyly as he said "You are a good woman."

Instead of a sarcastic comment, Sophia smiled warmly, knowing he meant it.

Janice looked questioningly at Mel, who grinned.


Chapter 28 - Resolve

 

"Where’s Janice?" Sophia asked Mel as she joined them at the restaurant, alone. Frank quickly stood, holding out a chair. She sat down at their table, between Raj and Frank.

"She sends her regrets," Mel said with a small smile, getting confused looks from Raj and Sophia. "She’s sleeping," Mel explained firmly, pushing up her glasses. Her tone barred any discussion to the contrary. She was going to make sure Janice slept and got better as quickly as possible.

Not surprisingly, Janice had argued with her all through her bath about not being tired and wanting to join her friends for dinner. Mel had managed to reach a hard-fought compromise - a nap. Janice had grumbled about that too . . . until her head hit the pillow, when her fatigue and injuries finally caught up with her.

Mel looked at her watch. The archeologist had been out like a light for two hours now. She couldn’t help but smile.

"With everything that happened today, I don’t know if I’ll be able to sleep," Frank said with amazement, getting a polite smile from Mel as she placed the napkin in her lap.

"Well, Frank, I’m sure you can understand she has had a rough couple of days, with people trying to kill her and all," she said with a dangerously polite smile. Sophia looked at Raj, biting her lip.

"I didn’t mean . . . I really am glad Dr. Covington is all right, Melinda," he offered uneasily, but sincerely, getting a nod of acceptance from the Southern Lady, who looked at her watch again.

"I really need to get back before she wakes up," Mel said abruptly and stood. Frank immediately shot up from his chair and politely pulled the chair out, earning a small smile from the tall woman.

"Melinda?" Sophia said, rooting through her purse. She pulled out her small silver flask and offered it to the tall woman.

"Sophia, I really don’t think alcohol will help her recovery," Mel said uneasily, not wanting to offend her friend.

"It’s not for her," Sophia said bluntly. Frank frowned. Raj smiled.

Mel looked at her friend with amusement in her eyes and accepted the offering. "Thank you."

***

Returning to the room with a food tray, Mel opened the door and smiled at the sight that greeted her. Janice had not budged an inch and was snoring softly. Gently shutting the door behind her, she quietly walked to the night stand, where she placed the tray and enjoyed the peaceful scene.

She couldn’t help but look at the strong woman with admiration. It really wasn’t her physical strength she found most impressive - though that certainly captured her attention and appreciation. It was Janice’s internal strength, which drove her to use her past, not as an excuse for failure, but motivation for success.

Mel glanced at the food, then looked back at the archeologist and quietly began to get ready for bed, where she would obtain the sustenance she needed most at the moment. Slipping under the covers, she was careful not to disturb the smaller woman. But Janice immediately gravitated to her, making her smile. As the archeologist placed an arm around her, Janice grumbled something that Mel could barely understand, except for "nap" and "sneaky" and, after a heavy sigh, "love you anyway."

‘And oh how I love you,’ Melinda thought, knowing how close she had been to losing the archeologist. She shut her eyes tightly, reminding herself everything had worked out and Janice, though a little worse for wear, was all right. But the nagging feeling of fear filled her heart. She couldn’t ignore how easily things could have been so horribly different. They were lucky, but how long would that luck last?

Feeling Janice shift, she opened her eyes just before soft lips pressed into hers. When the tender kiss ended, Mel’s eyes open to see Janice admiring her as she slowly traced her fingers over her dark brow, proud cheek, and to her ripe lips with a contented smile.

In one tender moment, Janice had filled her heart with love, until there was no more room for fear.

"H . . . How did you know I needed that?" Mel whispered with amazement.

"You make a lousy pillow when you’re tense."

Mel laughed. "The sensibilities of a hedonist."

"You make that sound like a bad thing."

"No no. I am sure your hedonism with be quite beneficial to both of us . . . eventually," Mel finished flatly.

Now Janice had to laugh. "Well, as Grandpap. . . ."

"Janice, so help me, if you drag my Grandfather into this again," Melinda moaned.

"He was a wise man. . . ."

Mel sighed.

"Sweetheart, I will do my best to stay away from people who want to kill me and heal," Janice offered.

"You’ll actually take it easy?" Mel perked up.

Janice nodded, making Mel smile broadly.

"You’ll get lots of sleep??" Mel asked, eyeing her skeptically.

Janice nodded.

"And you’ll eat well? No "hair of the dog" breakfasts - three square meals a day??" Mel emphasized.

Janice rolled her eyes and nodded, pleasing the Southerner.

"And you’ll mind everything I say without argument?" Mel blurted quickly, blinking innocently.

Janice looked at her with a raised brow. "You’re a take-a-mile kind of gal, aren’t you?"

"Well, I suppose three out of four isn’t bad," Mel said melodically and sighed happily. She found Janice looking at her thoughtfully.

"Thank you," the archeologist said softly, getting a curious look. "For looking out for me."

Mel smiled warmly. "That’s what you do when you care," she said and caressed her cheek. "And you don’t have to be related to a warrior princess, sharpshooter . . . or the heavy weight boxing champion of the world, Joe Lewis, nicknamed the Brown Bomber, who had knocked out John Henry Lewis, Jack Roper, Tony Galento and Bob Pastor in an impressive display of pugilism," she rattled off with a twinkle in her eye, "to want to protect the people you care about, Janice."

Janice looked at her an amazed moment then chuckled softly. "Fortunate for me, you care," she said with a very pleased smile, cupping Mel’s cheek and slowly kissing her fierce protector and impressive, not to mention fast, researcher. With reluctance, she ended the kiss and looked apologetically into Mel’s darkened eyes.

"You need rest," Mel said with difficulty, knowing that was the unfortunate truth.

"I have lots of needs," Janice grumbled.

"I’m not going anywhere," Mel said softly with an amused smile, caressing her partner’s cheek.

Planting a quick kiss on Mel’s lips, Janice settled down beside her partner.

"Love you," Janice said softly to her much more comfortable pillow and sighed happily, hearing the Southerner’s soft "I love you, so very much" before drifting off into a peaceful sleep.

Mel looked at the ceiling and blinked, attempting to ignore her own needs as she pondered just how long it would take for the archeologist to become better.

***

As the trio entered the hotel, Najihma looked up from the front desk and smiled. "Did you have a good dinner?"

Sophia joined her, leaving Raj and Frank to look at each other with weak smiles.

"A feast! Who knew getting kidnaped would work up such an appetite?" Sophia said with a smile, patting her tummy. "Too bad Janice and Melinda were not able to join us. Or you, for that matter. I heard you were part of the excitement, especially on the drive back," she said with amusement in her eyes, glancing back at Frank, who waited with Raj to bid her goodnight.

"Excitement is one way of putting it. Absolute terror is another," Najihma offered wryly.

Sophia laughed.

**

"Uh . . . Raj?" Frank said uneasily and apologized again. "I am really sorry."

"You did not know we would be taken," Raj offered simply.

"But that’s no excuse for my behavior. Especially towards, Sophia," Frank said, glancing guiltily over to the women chatting.

"You have strong beliefs. Not everyone can say the same," Raj offered.

"Yeah. And if I end up hurting people I care about because of them?" he asked, shaking his head and glanced over to Sophia.

Raj tilted his head and looked at the tall man curiously, then glanced to the vivacious Greek, who was laughing with Najihma.

**

"Yes, Frank mentioned the hubcap," Sophia said with amusement. "Just proves that no one had better threaten Janice while she’s around."

"A woman of quiet strength," Najihma noted thoughtfully and added "and patience."

"Most definitely patience," Sophia chuckled.

"And after everything, she even offered to buy me a new car," Najihma offered with amazement.

"Why would that be so surprising?" Sophia asked.

"Uh . . . perhaps awkward is a better word," Najihma said, looking a bit uncomfortable.

"Ah. I had wondered why Janice acted so oddly at the Delhi station," Sophia added absently. She looked up at the beautiful woman with a grin. "After what I’ve heard from Frank and seen myself recently, it’s a good thing for us Mel’s not the jealous type."

"Us?" Najihma asked, then her eyes widened in understanding.

**

 

"Do you really think she’s forgiven me?" Frank asked, looking over at the women then back at the Indian man.

"She said she has. Do you doubt it?"

"I . . . I just wonder. Do you think she’s forgiven me enough to . . . well," Frank said as Raj patiently waited. ". . . give me a chance?" he blurted. "I mean, we got along really well before the temple and I’d like to see if maybe . . . there’s something there for us."

Raj looked at the tall handsome lawyer curiously. "You are no longer in pursuit of Miss Pappas?"

Frank chuckled. "I’ve seen enough to know, I won’t be able to change her mind about me. I care for her, a great deal, but I know she’ll never love me like . . . I would want her too. And life is short, Raj. I’ve seen a few things in the past few days to remind me of that. I don’t want to miss an opportunity to see what Sophia and I might have."

"Her heart is big and can be easily hurt," he said and added softly. "I do not wish to see that."

"Neither do I," Frank said emphatically. "I have no intention of hurting her. I . . . ," He said and smiled sheepishly. "I guess I should talk with her about this, huh?"

Raj nodded weakly.

**

" . . . And there is a very nice garden in the back," Najihma informed her friend with pride.

"That would be so romantic! Perfect!" Sophia said to Najihma, who smiled with a satisfied nod.

Frank approached hesitantly, gaining curiously looks from the women. "When you are done here, could we talk a moment?" he asked Sophia softly.

"Sure," Sophia said with a shrug, glancing at Raj, who looked between the handsome lawyer and beautiful woman an uneasy moment. "Good night, Sophia," Raj said before bowing.

"Night, Raj," she said, watching him smile and retreat up stairs. She turned back to Najihma with enthusiasm. "We’ll finalize details tomorrow, OK?"

"I look forward to it," the Indian woman said with a smile as Sophia left with Frank, who politely motioned for them to sit on the couch in the lobby. Sophia sat down, thinking about her plans with Najihma with excitement.

"So what’s happening tomorrow? " Frank asked curiously, looking back at the Indian, who retreated into her office.

"Uh . . . just making plans with Najihma."

"I heard you mentioning something was . . . romantic?"

"Frank," she said, then sighed. "You don’t want to know."

"What makes you think that?"

"I know how you feel about certain things and I don’t feel up to another argument."

His eyes widened. "Are you and Najihma . . . ?"

Sophia laughed heartily and got up. "Well, she is beautiful. And I’ve just learned we have a lot in common . . . ," she said with a grin.

"R . . . Really?" He asked in shock.

"Good night, Frank," she said again, chuckling, as she ascended the stairs, leaving a confused Southern man.

***

Frank looked up at the front desk thoughtfully. When Najihma came out from the office with a ledger, he stood and cautiously approached her.

"Najihma?" He asked.

She looked up with surprise. "I had thought you all retired for the evening."

"Uh . . . not yet," he stated the obvious awkwardly and smiled at her uneasily. "Do you have a minute to talk?"

"I am making tea in the office, would you like to join me for a cup?" She said warmly.

"That would be great, thanks," he said and followed her into the office.

***

Inside, there was a small kitchenette where the teakettle was starting to boil. She motioned to the small table in the corner of the office where she had a book opened. Frank sat down hesitantly, then stood when she returned with the cups.

"May I help?"

"Yes. Sit down and let me serve you," she said with a smile. He obliged with a sheepish smile.

"Thanks," he said.

"So what did you want to talk about?" She asked as she joined him at the table.

"Uh . . . Well, uh, I guess I was interested in what you and Sophia have in common?" Frank said, getting a startled look from Najihma.

"What we have in common??"

"Yes. I can see you are attractive women but . . . I really don’t understand the physical . . . part. I . . . I don’t mean to be rude but I just . . . don’t understand," Frank said with obvious frustration.

Najihma sighed, feeling sympathy for the poor man, who had traveled all this way for a woman who he had no chance with. She looked at her tea. "How does anyone explain an attraction?" She offered and stirred her tea with a spoon.

"I have yet to look at a man and feel anything remotely like attraction," he said with exasperation.

"But when you look at a woman, who is intelligent, with good humor and a passion for life, don’t you wish to know her better, become closer?"

"Sure," Frank said.

"It is the same feeling. I do not know what drew Sophia to her, but when I saw Janice, I saw an exceptional young woman, full of life. And her smile was . . . captivating," Najihma said, lost in memory, then smiled sheepishly and looked down at her tea.

She looked up to see Frank staring at her. "Something wrong?"

"Your something in common . . . is Dr. Covington?"

"What?"

"You’re not involved with Sophia?" Frank asked, still stunned.

Najihma laughed uneasily. "I hardly know her. You were asking about Sophia?" Najihma asked with surprise.

Frank looked at her and blinked. "You both have . . . with Dr. Covington?" he sputtered, unable to say it.

"Frank, I would not ask such questions of a man about his relationships."

"So you HAD a relationship?" he accused with frustration, still amazed.

Najihma sighed and stared at him a long moment, until he seemed calm enough to listen.

"A person’s heart does not know rules," she said.

"You sound like Sophia," he grumbled.

"Some people ignore their heart because of the pressure to follow those rules, thinking it would be best for all," she continued, ignoring his comment. "In my experience, you may be able to please others, but your heart will never let you forget what you gave up. I admire those who have the strength and courage to follow their heart. It is those who will truly know happiness."

Frank frowned. "How can I be happy when all the women I am interested in are more interested in Dr. Covington!" Frank complained.

"Do not assume a person’s heart can not be won, if it is the right person seeking to win it," Najihma said with a small smile.

***

Many days had passed and Janice had kept her promise to take it easy. Though pleased, Mel grew concerned that the exceedingly active woman had so easily accepted the inactivity - without complaint. The protective Southerner stared at Janice, who sat quietly at their table, eating breakfast as she read the newspaper. Mel sighed and glanced around the café, then found herself staring curiously at the archeologist again.

"Janice?"

"Yes?" She said silkily, with a twinkle in her eye as she looked up from her paper. She knew her partner had wanted to ask her something for a while now.

"How are you feeling?" Mel asked, pushing up her glasses.

"I feel better. How are you feeling?" Janice asked with great interest.

"Janice, I wasn’t the one who was just in the hospital, then almost shot, then almost crushed by a . . . statue . . . then. . . ."

"But how are you feeling??" Janice interjected curiously.

"Janice, I’m fine," Mel said with irritation.

"Yes," Janice said, looking her over. "Yes you are," she noted with a grin and sipped her tea before returning her attention to the newspaper. Mel rolled her eyes, too frustrated to be flattered.

"So, you don’t think you need to go to the doctors?" Mel persisted.

"Why? Do I look like I need to go to the doctors?"

"Well, no. Your cuts and bruises are looking much better. . . ." Mel admitted with some relief.

"Why Miss Pappas! Have you been peeking?" Janice whispered with feigned horror, pulling her cloth napkin from her lap to cover herself.

"You are determined not to have a serious conversation with me, aren’t you?" Mel asked wearily.

"Why don’t you just ask what’s really on your mind?" Janice offered.

Mel frowned. "All right. Fine. You haven’t argued one bit about resting. I just find that . . . odd. And I’m wondering if there’s something wrong."

"So you’d be happier if I complained?"

"No," Mel groaned and sighed heavily. Janice smirked.

"Sweetheart," Janice said, covering Mel’s hand. "You really don’t know why I’m so willing to do what I have to, to get better as fast as I can?" Janice said, looking into her eyes with an intensity that washed through her. If any confusion remained, the archeologist’s thumb slowly caressing the back of her hand supplied another big hint.

"Oh," Mel whispered and swallowed hard, pushing up her glasses.

"Melinda, Dr. Covington!" Frank said with a happy smile as he approached their table. "Would you mind some company?"

"Not at all, Benny. Have a seat," Janice said with a grin, squeezing her partner’s hand before releasing it. Mel sighed in disappointment.

"You’re looking much better. How are you feeling?" Frank asked the archeologist sincerely as he sat down.

"Fine. How are you feeling?" Janice countered with great interest. Mel rolled her eyes.

"Uh . . . fine," he said at the unexpected question. "I wanted to tell you two that I’ll be heading back to the States tomorrow," he said with a small smile. Janice looked at Mel, who was saddened by the news, having gotten used to her hometown friend being around.

"I should get back to the hotel," Janice said and got up.

"Don’t leave on my account," Frank said uneasily as he politely stood.

"You two probably have a few things to discuss," Janice said, squeezing Mel’s shoulder. Mel slid her hand over Janice’s and looked up at her with a warm smile.

Frank sat down, looking at Mel curiously. Her eyes lingered on Janice as she left the café. Dr. Covington was a good looking woman in her own right, he thought, also eyeing the archeologist. But he still couldn’t understand what made her so popular with women, or at least three he knew in India. Looking back at Mel, he smiled, preferring blue-eyed brunettes.

"You know, you’ve never looked more beautiful," he noted, quickly getting an incredulous look from the Southerner. He laughed. "Hey, I’m not blind," he said, then held his hand’s up in surrender when she frowned and started to say something. "Or stupid," he quickly added with a cringe.

"I’m relieved to hear that," Mel said with a sigh and sipped her tea.

"I think I can even understand . . . some of it," he said with a wince.

"The fact I love her?" Mel asked with surprise, eyeing him curiously.

"Uh, well, uh, you two . . . do work well together. And I can see . . . well, she cares about you . . . and you care about her," he offered uncomfortably. "But, Melinda, I still worry. Do you really know what you’re getting yourself into?"

"I know who and what I want," Mel said simply, with quiet confidence.

He looked at her, wondering what it was like to get what you want. "Even so, it won’t be easy for you," Frank said with honest concern.

"Janice had warned me about that," she said, surprising him. "But as I’ve told her, we’ll handle whatever comes up, together," Mel said with conviction.

He nodded, suspecting they would.

***

As she entered the hotel, Janice watched Najihma chatting with a couple as they checked out.

"Have a good trip," she told the Indian couple, who bowed and left with smiles on their faces. More satisfied guests, Najihma thought with pride. Spotting Janice, she smiled and motioned for her to come to the desk.

"Janice, I have a message for you," she said, pulling out an envelope from her mail box. "Colonel Whitcomb stopped by to see you," she handed over the sealed envelope, curiously eyeing the archeologist as she looked at it a moment then shoved it into her pocket.

"Thanks," Janice said with a small smile.

"So where is your tall partner?" Najihma asked, looking to the door.

"Talking with Frank. He’s leaving for the States tomorrow."

"He will certainly have some interesting stories to tell about his time in India," Najihma said warmly.

"I’m sure Mel’s family will be thrilled," Janice blurted flatly.

"Do not worry yourself about things you have no control over, Janice," Najihma said softly.

"Something you’ve learned recently?" Janice asked curiously. Najihma glanced down guiltily.

"It has taken a long time," she admitted as her son came out from the office, brandishing a picture he just drew.

"Mama, look," he said, interrupting the adults. "Oh, excuse me," he said reluctantly after the reproving glare of his mother.

"Ah, sticky fingers Nadoor is an artist too," Janice said with amusement. "May I?" she asked the boy, who was pleased with her interest and handed her his drawing.

"I’m a better artist than pickpocket," Nadoor said proudly. Najihma moaned with embarrassment.

"I should hope so," Janice said, critically eyeing the picture. "Hmmm. I like elephants and this one is really good," she said with a nod, making the boy beam.

"I have others. Would you’d like to see?" he blurted excitedly.

"Sure," Janice said as the boy rushed back to the office. "He’s a good kid," she said, her eyes following the small boy.

"When not in trouble," Najihma offered wearily.

"Will you and Nadoor be all right? With Tanje in jail . . . ," Janice asked uncomfortably, watching the boy scurry around the office, collecting various drawings.

"I love my brother. But he was not a good influence on Nadoor, even when he was working and sober. Our burden is no more than before, Janice. Perhaps, in some ways, it is less," Najihma said sadly. "I have a good income and property. My mother and my in-laws are very good with Nadoor. He will be cared for and loved. He will know happiness," she said with a confident smile.

Janice was going to ask Najihma about her happiness, but as her son came back with a stack of pictures, joy filled Najihma’s face, clearly answering her question.

***

After having examined Nadoor’s large collection of fine art and making appropriate encouraging comments, Janice returned to her room and closed the door. Pulling out the envelope from her pocket, she stared at it as an anxious feeling grew in the pit of her stomach. So many years without knowing . . . .

Knocking startled her. She sighed, placing the envelope on the bureau. Opening the door, she found Raj standing pensively.

"Something wrong?" Janice asked.

"He is leaving," Raj blurted, entering her room.

"Frank?"

"Yes. He is leaving," Raj said as he paced.

"It had to happen eventually," Janice said, looking at him curiously.

"What if she goes with him?" He said with concern.

"Mel?" Janice asked with surprise, pretty sure that wasn’t going to happen and if it did, it would be over Frank’s dead body.

"No. Sophia!" Raj blurted anxiously.

"Why would she do that?" Janice asked, confused.

"Because he wanted a "chance with her!" Raj said. "She has enjoyed his company these past few days. I am sure he has asked her. She is a smart woman. She would know she would have a very good life in America with him," he blurted.

"And . . . you don’t like that idea?" Janice said, catching up.

"She should be with the person who makes her happy," Raj said reasonably. "If he makes her happy, who am I to interfere? She can do much better than an untouchable."

"For Christ’s sake," Janice said, sitting down on the bed, getting dizzy watching the normally calm man pace. "Raj. . . ."

"He is better suited for her," Raj offered tersely. "He is a successful lawyer, tall, handsome, . . . perfect teeth," Raj said, rattling off Frank’s obvious attributes.

"Damn. You could say he’s better suited for Mel too," Janice countered.

"But you have very good teeth," Raj offered absently.

"Uh, thanks, yours aren’t so bad either, Raj."

Raj sighed.

"Raj, there are going to be people who you can’t compete with. I know I’ll never be as rich as a successful lawyer. I’m certainly not tall . . . ," Janice said getting a "Bah!" as the man paced.

"It is obvious, there is no one better suited for Melinda than you," Raj said, bringing a small smile to Janice’s face.

"Raj? Raj!" she snapped, stopping his pacing as she got up and eyed him. "If a short, Yankee, woman archeologist is lucky enough to have a beautiful Southern lady fall in love with her, why the hell are you so pessimistic about your chances with Sophia?"

Raj looked at her a moment, considering her words.

"Go!" Janice urged the indecisive man. "Tell her what’s on your mind before you lose your nerve!" Janice snapped.

"You are right!" Raj blurted with growing enthusiasm. "I must tell her," he said, nodding rapidly. "Even if she rejects me out right, I will have at least given a chance to the unlikely but wonderful answer of yes. Because if I do not, I will never know, which is far worse, unless the answer is actually . . . no," he said with a frown, once again uncertain.

"Just do it, goddamn it," Janice barked, pointing at the door, startling the rambling man. "GO!" she barked again. He quickly bowed and nodded, blurting "you are right!" as he rushed out of the room and past Melinda.

"Raj?" Mel said, startled by the man’s abrupt departure.

"I will go tell her!" Raj called out as he stormed down the stairs.

"What did you do to him??" Mel asked as she entered their room.

"I didn’t do anything - I was helping him. You know he’s sweet on Sophia. He just needed some advice," Janice said with a shrug.

"You were yelling at him," Mel noted flatly, pushing up her glasses.

"Well, yeah. He kept pacing and rambling on and on, missing my pearls of wisdom," Janice said with a smile. "So, how did your talk with Dougie, go?"

"We’ve reached an understanding," Mel said.

"You didn’t hurt him, did you?"

"Funny. No, he "sort of understands" us," Mel said.

"That’s encouraging," Janice said softly, getting a nod from her partner, who placed her purse on the bureau.

"What’s this?" Mel asked, picking up the envelope.

"A message from Colonel Whitcomb," Janice said, looking at the envelope uncomfortably.

"You haven’t opened it yet?" Mel asked with surprise.

"You can, if you want," Janice offered, getting an odd look from the Southerner.

"Don’t you think you should?" Mel asked, holding out the envelope which Janice hesitantly took. "Would you like to be alone?" she added softly.

Janice looked up with surprise, then looked at the letter. "It’s been a long time since I had a choice," Janice said thoughtfully.

Mel nodded with disappointment and started to leave, surprising the archeologist.

"Hey, I . . . stay. Please," Janice said, bringing a pleased smile to Mel’s face.

Mel sat on the bed next to Janice, who took a breath before she tore off the wax seal and opened the envelope. Mel squeezed her shoulder as she pulled out the note and unfolded it.

Dr. Covington,

It is with great sadness I must report that my investigation into your mother’s whereabouts has come to an end with the discovery of her death. Mrs. Elizabeth Covington, passed away February 14, 1937 in Bahu, a small village outside of Delhi, where she had resided for the past eight years. She had been in poor health and arranged for her personal effects to be placed in storage upon her death, until such time they were claimed by her immediate family. I have taken the liberty of having them shipped to my office. They have arrived this morning. You may pick them up at your convenience. If there is anything else I can do, please do not hesitate to ask.

With deepest sympathy for your loss,

Colonel Gregory Whitcomb, III, H.M.R.A

 

Janice laughed without humor. "Well. One mystery solved," Janice said and stood, finding herself oddly detached from the news.

Mel wiped her eyes.

"Well, at least I don’t have to worry about an awkward reunion," Janice joked as Mel stood to join her side.

Knocking startled Mel, who was going to kill who ever it was. As she opened the door, Sophia barged into the room, not giving Mel the chance to get rid of their visitor.

"Do you have any idea what’s wrong with Raj? He came to my room saying he had to tell me something, then he forgot something and rushed off. It was the strangest . . . what’s wrong with you two. Did somebody die or something?" Sophia joked, then saw the look on Mel’s face. "Oh my god. Who died?!?"

"I just found out my mother died - almost two years ago," Janice explained.

"I’m so sorry, I didn’t know," Sophia felt horrible.

"No problem. I didn’t either," Janice said dismissively, causing Sophia to share an uncomfortable look with Mel. "I guess I should go see the Colonel about those personal effects," Janice said, grabbing her hat.

"You want to come?" Janice asked Mel, who looked at her uneasily and nodded, retrieving her purse off the bureau.

As they started to leave, Janice looked at Sophia. "You’re not planning a trip to the States any time soon are you?" Janice asked and put her hat on.

"Uh . . . no," Sophia said, looking at her curiously.

"Hmmm. For some reason, Raj thought you were," Janice said in feigned confusion.

Sophia looked at her with genuine confusion as Janice shook her head and descended the stairs with Mel, who followed in worried silence.

***

As their cab left the hotel, Sophia tapped the front desk bell, clanging it rapidly, causing an irritated Mrs. Singhare to come out of the office with a frown at the impatient customer.

"Sophia? What is the matter child??" She asked with concern.

"I need to see Najihma now," she said anxiously.

"She is home now. Can I help you?"

"I need to see Najihma. Do you think she’d mind me stopping by her home?"

"Sophia?" Raj asked, joining the agitated woman’s side.

"Mrs. Singhare, do you think Najihma would mind visitors? I really need to see her."

"What is wrong?" Raj asked uneasily.

"Janice found out her mother is dead," she blurted, getting a cringe and nod from the Indian man.

"Here is the address, it is not far. You should walk. It will be quicker," Mrs. Singhare said, quickly jotting down the information and handing it to the appreciative woman.

"Is Dr. Covington all right?" Frank asked, having overheard the commotion as he descended the stairs.

"It’s hard to explain," Sophia said vaguely as he joined them. "Come on, you guys can help," Sophia said, marching out of the hotel.


Back Top | Next

Return to The Bard's Corner