And she strode off down the path, giving her father only the barest of glances in passing.

Xena watched his face, watching her, then met his eyes as he turned to face her. And caught, for the barest second, a glimpse of a wide eyed boy whose spirit rang a familiar chord

Then it was gone, and his eyes were hooded again.

"Which one of us were you rooting for?" Came Xena’s quiet question, as she felt her energy level coming back, and her strength returning. She crossed to the huddled form of the minotaur and put a booted foot on his chest, gripping her sword with both hands and giving a long steady pull that freed the weapon from his chest.

Herodotus looked at her for a long moment. "I don’t know." He paused. "Why didn’t you just let it kill me? No loss to you."

Xena looked up from cleaning her blade on the minotaur’s cloth trews, and studied him. "I have a lot of blood on my hands. I won’t have yours." She sheathed the sword, and stepped towards him. "Sorry to disappoint you."

"Wouldn’t have been your hands, now would it? " The quiet question.

"Oh yes it would have." The warrior replied. "I knew I could stop him from killing you." She paused, then shook her head. "I just didn’t know if I could stop him from killing me."

"You make no sense." Herodotus replied. "What possible reason could you have to risk your life for me? "

Xena stepped up next to him, forcing him to look up at her, and remained silent for a time. Then she sighed. "Because she loves you."

Herodotus stared at her. "Just that simple?"

"Just that simple." Came the reply. She turned in a circle, and surveyed the village, which was returning to some semblance of order. Common, raiding parties, in this part of the world. She sighed again, and started back towards the inn.

"Xena." Herodotus’ voice followed her.

"Yeah?" She turned and looked at him.

"I was rooting for you." And for the barest instant, the wide eyed boy was back. Then he was gone, and an aging man broken for too many years was heading back up the path towards his home.

Xena slowly shook her head, and chuckled under her breath, then turned and headed back again to the inn, passing through clumps of villagers who watched her with intent eyes. Well.. at least it’s not open hostility.. she mused. That’s an improvement. She slowed as one of the younger girls approached her, and offered up a waterskin. "Thanks." She took the skin, and gave the girl a smile in return.

Shyly, the blond youngster smiled back, and ducked her head as she walked back to where her mother, presumably, was waiting. Gods.. was I ever that young? Xena sighed, as she uncapped the waterskin and took a long pull. And continued walking, taking a detour into the barn for a short visit to assure herself of Argo’s safety. "You missed a good show, girl." She informed the mare, who placidly chewed hay at her. "You’d have hated the minotaur." She leaned her arms on the mare’s high back, and let her head rest on the golden shoulder "That was closer than I really like to see it, Argo." She mumbled into the horse’s coat. "For a minute there…" She took a breath, and straightened up, dismissing the thought. It didn’t happen. That was all.

She turned around, and leaned back against the mare, and took another long swig of water, wincing at the metallic tang of blood, and realized that last blow from the minotaur had made her bite the inside of her cheek. Oh..that’s gonna be sore. She sighed, rocking her head back and forth to loosen her neck muscles, and hearing the popping of abused vertebra. Still, a smugly satisfied voice inside her noted, not bad at all considering that she’d taken out most of the raiding force, and killed a minotaur in single combat. Her lips quirked into a grin. Guess I’m not quite ready for retirement just yet.

The door opened, and she glanced up as Gabrielle entered, shutting the door behind her, and crossing the straw strewn floor with purposeful footsteps. "Hi." She said, once she was at Argo’s side.

"Hi yourself." Xena replied, offering her the waterskin.

"Thanks." She took it and drank. Then studied Xena’s face intently. "That was pretty scary." She moved closer and lifted a hand to the angry purpling marks on the warrior’s throat. "I wasn’t.. I was really, really frightened there for a minute.."

Xena folded long arms around her. "Me too." She admitted, closing her eyes and burying her face in Gabrielle’s pale hair for a long moment. I couldn’t leave this.. not now. Not yet. "So I guess I can scratch off minotaur on my list of challenges, right?"

Felt the bard chuckle. "Yeah, I guess." She pulled her head back and looked up at her partner. "Do you really have a list?"

Xena grinned. "Sure, doesn’t everyone?" She squeezed the bard. "Oh.. and by the way, do me a favor and tell Hercules a little story of me and the minotaur next time we bump into them, OK?"

Gabrielle pulled free, and gave her a perplexed look. "Waitaminute. Did you get hit in the head? I thought you did… you’re asking me to tell someone a story about you?"

"Uh huh." Xena confirmed, sliding an arm around Gabrielle’s shoulders, and steering her towards the door. "We have a 50 dinar bet going that I can’t beat a minotaur in face to face combat."

The bard laughed. "50 dinars? Are you guys nuts? What else do you…oh.. wait. Scratch that question. Can he beat a minotaur?"

"I’m sure…" Xena responded. "He’s a demigod, remember?"

"Mmm." Gabrielle thought about that for a minute. "Do you guys ever bet against each other?" She asked, curiously. "I mean, you against him?"

"Gabrielle.. he’s the son of Zeus." The warrior laughed. "And the last time I checked.." She felt the side of her jaw and winced. "I’m mortal. Not much of a contest."

They walked across the now empty courtyard, where the bodies had been removed already, which was painted in the crimson shafts of the setting sun. They were almost to the door of the inn when Gabrielle spoke up. "I’d bet on you."

"What?" Xena asked, almost missing the door handle as she turned to look at her partner.

"I said, if it were you against him, I'd bet on you." The bard repeated calmly. "Now, you going to let me take a look at those bruises? " She raised her brows at Xena, who was standing there holding the door open with a faint scowl.

I’m fine, Gabrielle, it’s really.." Seeing the look in those green eyes "Ok.. ok.. yeah, I will." And kept a grin off her face with a good deal of effort. "After you, your majesty."

***************************************

On second thought… Xena mused, not long after. This isn’t such a bad idea after all. She was stretched out on the bed, with Gabrielle perched cross legged next to her, and the bard was conscientiously applying some of the healing oil to the damage done by both the raiders and the minotaur.

"Gods.. that one must hurt." The bard winced, touching the spot where she’d taken the blow meant for Herodotus. She smoothed the oil on with gentle fingers, then glanced up and met the gently amused blue eyes studying her. Felt a smile crossing her face at the sight, which was mirrored immediately. "You know.. when I saw that thing heading for him… I realized you were right, Xena. I don’t hate him."

"I knew that." Came the quiet response.

"Yeah.. you did… I started running towards him.. though the gods only know what I thought I was going to do once I got there." She gave Xena a wry look. "Then you passed me like I was standing still… and I wasn’t sure if I more scared to death for you, or relieved for him. Weird." She paused, then let her face slide into a grin again, and patted Xena’s thigh. "You sure can move when you want to."

"I do all right." Xena answered, in a deprecating tone. "And if it’s any consolation, I really didn’t have a good plan as to what I was going to do once I got there, either."

Gabrielle stared at her, and giggled. "Really?"

Xena laid an idle hand on her knee. "Really.. I don’t have a contingency plan for minotaurs."

"Wish I could have done something to help." The bard sighed, contemplating her hands. "Instead of just stand there being scared to death."

The hand resting on her knee clamped down, and she looked up, startled, into Xena’s now serious eyes. "What? Oh.. you know what I mean, Xena.. I was just…"

"You said something to your mother this morning." The warrior’s voice was very quiet.

I said a lot of th…oh. "Yes I did." Knowing almost surely what she was talking about. "And it’s true." True that I couldn’t live without you.. without this.. anymore.. I forgot she heard that. She smiled inwardly. But I’m glad she did, even if it was probably a little embarrassing for her.. I mean, first this lifebond thing, then…

Xena nodded slowly. "I think you know that goes both ways. Right?"

Gabrielle felt a flush rising. "I.. uhm… " Breathe, Gabrielle, breathe… "No, I didn’t." She finished, in an almost inaudible whisper.

"I wanted.. to make sure you knew that." Xena took a deep breath. "Because.. when that minotaur was choking me to death this afternoon… the only thing that kept me going… " she paused, and reached out, to clasp the bard’s stilled fingers. " was knowing there was a reason not to die." She waited for the green eyes to raise to her own, and they did. "I felt your being scared.. and it gave me the will to break that hold, Gabrielle. So.. don’t you sit here and tell me you didn’t do anything." A short pause. "You did."

Gabrielle took several breaths to say something, but eventually just lifted their linked hands, and pressed her cheek against Xena’s knuckles, closing her eyes and smiling. And trusting that the bond that joined them would speak for her. For a bard, I have this really bad tendency to let her render me speechless. How.. embarrassing. But I think she gets the message.

And speak for her it did, as she felt herself being pulled down, and let herself collapse into Xena’s arms, falling into the pool of crimson light that cascaded over both of them.

"Hey." Gabrielle murmured, quite a while later. "I saw you get hit.. how’s your head? You didn’t get a concussion, did you?"

"Mmm." Xena reluctantly opened her eyes, and considered the question. "No.. don’t think so. Usually there’s a.. kind of foggy feeling right after, when I do. Didn’t get that this time." She reached lazily up and tapped the side of her head. "Pretty hard."

The bard tilted her head to gaze up at Xena. "Does it happen that often? You know it’s not really a good thing." Her brow creased in worry. Why didn’t I think of that before? Gods, Gabrielle, just how blind are you?

"Couple of times." Xena shrugged. "I try to avoid it, love. I’m not looking to have my head scrambled up." And smiled quietly when she realized just how naturally that affectionate term had slipped out. Even with Marcus, she’d had to consciously use words like that. Not with Gabrielle. They just.. happened. No comment from Gabrielle, she noticed, but she couldn’t hide that little sparkle in her eye, either.

"No, I suppose not." Gabrielle answered, more cheerfully. She glanced out the windows. "Nice sunset." She narrowed her eyes and gazed into the crimson light, feeling the warmth on her face. "I miss watching them out there."

"Do you?" Xena’s voice was curious. "Thought you’d rather have a roof over your head." Unlike me, for instance.

The bard shook her head, and rolled over, so she was looking up at the charcoal stained ceiling. "No.. I miss looking at the stars with you." She answered dreamily. "Or chasing clouds.. or watching the sunset. Listening to the animal noises changing from daytime to night time. Hearing the waterfalls you’re so good at finding for us to camp near." She paused. "I’m glad we’re leaving tomorrow."

Xena considered this. "Me too." She chuckled. "And we’ve got plenty of ground to cover before we’re anywhere near Cirron."

"Mmm." Gabrielle agreed. "It’ll be nice to see Jess again."

"Oh yeah." The warrior sighed. "I’m in for it from him."

The bard cocked her head. "Why? Oh..because.." Her eyes flicked between them.

"Yeah." A chagrined look from Xena.

Gabrielle giggled. "Is that what all those snarky comments were about?"

A sigh was her answer.

"Don’t worry." She patted Xena on the shoulder. "I’ll protect you. I’ll tell him to leave you alone or I’ll make up a story about him and tell all his friends."

That got a big, dazzling grin back. "C’mere."

"Huh? What…oh." Gabrielle closed her eyes and just enjoyed the kiss, letting the warmth of it travel through her like mulled wine on a cold night. "Have I ever mentioned to you how good you are at that?" she mumbled, as they took a pause to breathe.

"Uh huh." Came the drawled answer. "But it never hurts to practice."

"Nope.." The bard replied. "Besides.." She slid a hand down Xena’s ribcage, and felt the muscles ripple under her fingertips. "Can’t be too careful with your being hit in the head. Better not sleep for awhile."

"Oh.. that’s a good one." Xena chuckled. "I like that." She pulled Gabrielle into a more comfortable position and trailed one hand down the front of her body, grinning at the catch in her breathing. "I’ll have to get hit in the head more often." Then stopped talking and just reacted.


"Xena?" Gabrielle raised her head up from her comfortable position sprawled across Xena's chest to peer dazedly up at the half asleep warrior. Much later.

"Hmm?" Xena opened one blue eye and regarded her with benign affection.

"Is it ok that.. I mean, is this comfortable for you? Just letting me.. sort of use you as a big pillow?" She blushed. About time you asked that, don’t you think? "I mean.. honestly?" Like, can you breathe with all this resting on your ribcage, for instance?

Xena’s brows creased, and she laughed silently, a rumbling Gabrielle could feel. "Of course it is, Gabrielle. You belong here." She ruffled the bard’s hair, and rubbed her back gently. "I.. like it."

Offhand words.. Gabrielle thought, as they glided down her soul, and grabbed her heart with a sharp spasm. I belong here. A shout of joy ignited in her, and raced through her body, emerging in a giddy smile and a huge intake of breath. "I'm glad." She sighed, putting her head back down and relaxing.

Huh..I said something right. Xena glanced at the bard quizzically, feeling the reaction in her body and through the bond that connected them. Then she remembered.. a flash of a scene two years gone and more. "I don’t belong here." The young, fair haired village girl had said. And Xena had felt the truth of that, even then.. But you never expected this, did you. Her mind chuckled. They’d both been searching for something… And to think we found it in each other. What were the odds of that happening?

They lay quietly for a time, each immersed in thought. From the window came the faint sounds of activity in the courtyard, and the incoming breeze carried the scent of woodsmoke. "Must be getting ready for the wedding tomorrow. " Xena commented, to which the bard nodded.

"Yeah.." Gabrielle yawned, and raised her head, resting her chin on Xena’s shoulder. "I don’t think my father’s going to say anything if you’re there, now." Her lips curled into a grin. "You could be nice and not show up in armor, though"

Xena raised an eyebrow at her. "We’ll see." She commented. "You haven’t eaten all day. Hungry?"

"A little." Gabrielle gazed dreamily at her. "But not enough to move or do anything about it." Her eyes tracked to Xena’s throat, scant inches from her. "Fading already." She shook her head and lifted a hand to gently trace the marks on her neck. "Incredible."

Xena’s head suddenly cocked to one side, in a listening attitude. Hoofbeats, again, but this time slower, more decorous.

"What?" Gabrielle asked softly, feeling the change in her, seeing her eyes go distant as she focused her other senses.

"Horses, two of them." Xena answered, a faint grin starting on her face, as the hoofbeats stopped in the courtyard, and the low murmur of voices wafted on the breeze into them. "Better get dressed."

"Who is it?" The bard whispered, darting a glance towards the window, then studying her face. Must not be too bad, she’s smiling.

"Mother and…" She concentrated, then gave a little snort of laughter. "Toris."

Gabrielle grinned happily. "Awesome!" She paused. "Sokay if I tell them about the minotaur?"

Xena shrugged. "No point in not – they’ll hear it from everyone anyway." She rolled over, and stood up, carrying Gabrielle with her, setting the bard neatly on her feet. "There you go."

‘Thanks." The bard patted her lightly on the side. "Here." Handing her a tunic from the pack near the bed, and taking one for herself. "Watch out, Ares." She stepped around the now wide awake puppy, and slid into the garment, fastening it, and grabbing a piece of fruit out of the basket on the table. "Any chance we can get your mom to give them some cooking tips?" She joked, taking a big bite of the apple in her hand, and turning to face Xena.

And found the bite of apple being taken out of her mouth by gently precise white teeth, and a kiss being left in its place. "Oo." She gurgled, hastily chewing the bit that remained and swallowing it. "Can we do that again?"

"Later." Xena laughed, with a wink, as she held the door open. "Let’s go say hello first."

They got to the bottom of the stairs just as Cyrene and Toris were speaking in low tones to the innkeeper. Who looked up at their footsteps on the stairs, then blinked, darting his eyes from Xena to the two newcomers and back.

"Well, well.. fancy meeting you here." Toris grinned, and dodged around the innkeeper to grab his sister in a bear hug, which was returned with some enthusiasm. They broke apart, and he gazed at Gabrielle for a minute.

The bard read his hesitation, and gave him a welcoming smile. "Hello, Toris." And moved towards him for a hug. He grinned in response and complied, far more gently than with his greeting to Xena.

"Mother." Xena said, as Cyrene gave her a brisk embrace. "Thanks for coming out here."

Cyrene raised an eyebrow at her. "When Johan told me…" She shook her head, and glanced down. "Let’s talk later." She turned a beaming smile on Gabrielle, and wrapped her arms around the bard, then held her at arms length for a long moment.

"Hi mom." Gabrielle said, with an impish smile. "Didn’t expect to see you again so soon."

Xena watched this for a minute, then turned to the innkeeper, who was staring at them all. "Problem?" Her eyebrow raised at him.

"Uhm… friends of yours, warrior?" The man hesitantly inquired.

"Family." Xena responded, tasting the word in her mouth, rolling it around and liking the feeling.

"I’ll give them the best room available." The innkeeper promised, giving her a nervous smile.

"Are you all right, daughter?" Cyrene asked Gabrielle in a low voice, searching her eyes anxiously.

The bard let out a breath, and gave her a nod. "I am.. now." Her eyes drifted unconsciously to Xena’s tall form, then back. "I was in good hands."

Cyrene patted her cheek. "That, I was sure of." She turned to Xena. "Shall we sit down and have a talk?" She gestured to the tables, by this late hour only half filled.

"Sure." Xena said, putting a hand on Toris’ back and steering him forward. "Long as we don’t eat anything here." Said in a bare undertone for Cyrene’s ears only.

Her mother stopped, and regarded her thoughtfully. "I'll join you in a minute." And strode purposely off towards the inn kitchen.

Xena smiled, and winked at Toris. Who winked back, with sibling understanding. They sat down at an empty table, sipping at the cups of ale brought to them by the innkeeper.

"So.." Toris said, leaning back and propping a booted foot against the table support. "What’s been going on?"

They heard a crash from the kitchen. "Cyrene, Warrior Innkeeper" Xena muttered, and launched herself up from her chair, and towards the door, vaulting two tables that stood in her way.

Toris and Gabrielle looked at each other for a long, shocked moment, then burst out laughing.

"Oh gods…" Gabrielle sighed. "I needed that." She took a long sip of the ale in front of her. Then glanced up to see Toris' concerned eyes on her. It's soo weird.. her mind mused. Seeing her eyes in his face.

Toris leaned forward, and hesitated, then spoke."Listen.. I can't tell you how bad I felt when Johan told us." He looked around, then back at her. "You're like a second sister to me, Gabrielle.. "

Green eyes studied him gently. "You don't know what it means to me.. having you both come out here." Watching the faint flush come over his face. "Thank you, Toris. It was awfully nice." She paused, and now it was her eyes that dropped. "Just knowing I had.. " Her voice stopped, and she felt the warmth of his hand as he covered hers, resting on the table. "And if your sister hadn't been here.. I don't know.. what I would have done."

Toris smiled. "You're family, you know that." He reassured her. "And.. I didn't get a chance to tell you .. before you left.. but I’m really glad you are." His eyes gently sparkled. "I'm glad for both of you." He looked up as the door opened, and returned the curious gaze of the tall, blond haired man that stood there.

Gabrielle turned to see who he was looking at, and grinned. "Hello, Lennat."

Lennat walked over, still gazing at the dark haired, blue eyed man sitting with her. "Hi. Uhm…"

"Oh.. sorry." The bard realized. "Uhm.. Lennat, this is Toris. He's Xena's brother. Toris, this is my sister's betrothed, Lennat."

The two men looked at each other, then Toris smiled easily, and held out a forearm. "Great to meet a new member of my extended family." He drawled.

Lennat took the proffered arm. "Uhm… " His thoughts were evident on his face.. that he'd never considered such a thing. "I guess you're right…" With a note of pleased surprise. "Nice to meet you too."

He took a seat next to Gabrielle, and sat quietly for a few minutes, obviously digesting this newest change in his life. "I was just getting ragged on by most of my buddies." He said finally, as though to excuse his presence at this hour in this place.

They all glanced up as the door opened yet again, and yawning Lila poked her head in the room. "Oh good." She said, on spotting her sister's familiar form. She came fully into the inn, hugging her shawl around her for warmth. "Mother.." Then she glanced up, and realized there was a stranger at the table. "Oh.. sorry.." Her brow creased as her eyes got used to the light, and her mind tried to place the strange familiarity of the dark haired man next to her sister.

"Stop trying to figure out where you know me from." Toris sighed, rolling his eyes. "My name is Toris, you've never met me, but you do know my sister."

"Your sister?" Lila asked, cocking her head at him.

Toris raised one expressive eyebrow at her.

"Oh1" Lila burst into laughter. "I never knew…"

"No one ever does." Gabrielle and Toris said in perfect concert.

The door to the kitchen chose that moment to swing open, and Xena steered a smirking Cyrene towards them, pausing a step when she saw the new arrivals. Well.. this has turned into quite a little party.. her mind chuckled. "Hello Lennat, Lila." She nodded at them. "Say hello to my mother, Cyrene." She glanced across the table. "I see you've met Toris." She sat down next to him, and leaned back, putting an arm across the back of his chair. "He's my brother."

"We would have never guessed." Lennat and Lila managed to speak at the same time, then looked at each other, and laughed.

"Any luck?" Gabrielle asked Cyrene, who snorted.

"I'd say.." Xena commented, taking a long swallow of ale. "The prospects of no one being poisoned at your sister's wedding tomorrow have significantly increased."

"So.. what was the crash?" The bard persisted, reaching under the table and giving her partner a tickle behind the knee. Which got her a sharply raised eyebrow, and feral grin. She bit her lip to keep from laughing.

Cyrene sighed. "I was simply trying.."

"Mother objected to the storage techniques they use here." Xena muttered, giving Toris a look.

He grimaced. "Oh."

"Scary." She replied. "Very."

Lila and Lennat sat down, and they all listened as Gabrielle related the tale of that afternoon's raiding attack. Xena let her shoulders relax as she listened to the tale, and watched the rest of them watch Gabrielle. Saw the wince from her family on the bard's graphic description of the Minotaur fight, and gave a shrugged response.

Lila and Lennat stood when she was finished, and bid them all a warm good night. "Mother actually sent me over here to make sure everything was ok." Lila murmured to Gabrielle as they hugged.

Gabrielle gave her a strange look. "I saw her after it was all over… so…"

Lila smiled, and gave her hand a squeeze. "She was concerned about Xena." In a conspiratorial whisper.

"Oh." The bard smiled. "She's ok." But her heart warmed at the thought. Even that's coming together.. she mused. 'Thanks for asking."

Lennat was quiet during the short walk home, but he finally sighed, as they walked down the moonlit path "So.. what did you think?" He finally asked her, pulling her to a stop and sitting down on a nearby rock. Patted the rock next to him, and she seated herself, pressing next to him for warmth.

"What do I think about what?" Lila asked, though she had a pretty good idea of what.

"Them." Lennat replied.

"Them as in Xena's family, or them as in my sister and her, or…" Lila teased, gently. "Come on, Lennat, what are you asking here?"

"Toris said we were part of his extended family now." Lennat avoided the question. "He considers.. I guess.. I don't.."

Lila thought about that. "He considers Gabrielle to be a sister to him." She mused. "So.. I guess that makes me one, too.. and you're.. well, going to be my husband, so.." She looked up at him. "Does that bother you?" Tell me the truth, Lennat. You know you can."

"It's just that… " Lennat sighed. "It seems like he takes it so.. like it's natural." His eyes uneasily searched hers. "And it's not natural, to me. You and I.. that's natural."

Lila studied him quietly. "Do you think they love each other any less than you and I do?" she asked softly.

The blond man stared off into the dark woods for a long moment. Finally, he dropped his gaze to his hands, then back up to her. "No." His lips quirked. " No I don't."

"Then??" Lila asked. "Look.. it took me a while to get my mind wrapped around the whole thing.. but once I did, Lennat.. once I did.. Gods.. who are we to say what's right or wrong? That can't be wrong.. love can't be wrong, Lennat.. not that kind.. it's what you and I are feeling right now. How could you deny that feeling to anyone?"

Lennat gazed at her. "I can't." He let out a long breath. "I can't, and I won't. and… now that I've had a chance to get used to the idea, it's going to become natural for me, too." His eyes smiled. "And they'll be family to us, to you, and to me, and to our children." His eyebrows quirked. "And, besides…" Now a grin started to appear. "In the world we live in, I can think of a lot worse people to be related to."

Lila laid a loving hand on his cheek. "Thank you, my love." She looked up. "Now, we'd better get home and get some rest.. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be.. a long one."

Lennat chuckled. "I think you're right." He stood and held out an arm. "My lady?" From the prince and princess games they used to play as small children. Lila smiled, and laid her hand on his arm. "My lord.." She replied, and they walked on into the moonlight strewn path.


No sleeping in late today, Xena mused, idly watching the sky outside turn a faint shade of coral. Already, she could hear the sounds of activity outside the inn - the first muted clanking of stock being harnessed, the faint pinging of the blacksmith's light hammer ringing out, a goat's far off protest.. carried on a crisply cold breeze that also brought her the tang of burning charcoal and the rich scent of a roasting pit in full swing.

We should get up.. plenty to do out there. She glanced down as Gabrielle stirred, flexing her hands, and nestling closer, then relaxing again with a contented sigh. A grin quirked across Xena's face as she regarded her sleeping partner. Well.. maybe a few more minutes.. She really didn't have the heart to wake her up.. not when she looked so peaceful. Not when their closeness so obviously caused that little delighted smile on her face, that touched Xena's heart and melted her resolve like river ice on a spring morning. She has me wrapped around her little finger like some lovesick kid... I should be upset at that. She laughed at herself. Except that I'm enjoying it as much as she is.

Nice, that Gabrielle seemed to leave her nightmares behind when they slept like this, and had for a while. And mine.. Xena's eyes grew grim. Less frequent than the bard's, but darker and more violent. They both slept through the night now.. and that made for a more comfortable daytime relationship too. She gets irritable when she's not sleeping. And I get short tempered. Not a good combination. This.. has been good for both of us. Her eyes began to drift closed against her will, and she sighed, and forced them back open. No no.. Come on now, we really do have things to do today.

Shouldn't have stayed up so late last night with mother and Toris.. that was pretty dumb. Her lips quirked. Cyrene had been kind and supportive while Gabrielle had remained downstairs with them, but once the bard had regretfully said good night, and gone upstairs, her mother had spent quite some time venting her outrage. At Gabrielle's parents. At Potadeia. At Xena herself, once she'd figured out that her daughter had risked her life for 'that man'.

Then had chased her upstairs, citing the battle and telling her to get some rest. Xena had just shook her head, and exchanged knowing glances with her brother, and took the suggestion, snuggling down with cheerful pleasure next to her partner in the darkened room.

Her eyes began to close again, and she let them for a few minutes, then prodded herself awake again. This isn't working.. she admitted to herself.

Gabrielle stirred again, and this time her eyes drifted lazily open, and she grinned up at Xena. "Morning." She stretched in sensual pleasure, and tightened her grip on the warrior, squeezing her in an enthusiastic hug.

"Good morning to you." Xena chuckled. "What was that for?"

"Cause I can." Came the impish answer, along with another squeeze. She glanced over at the window, then back up at Xena's indulgent eyes. "Rats. It's light out." A mock aggrieved sigh "Guess we gotta go help out, huh?" Letting her fingers run lightly along Xena's side, and smirking at the raised eyebrow she got in response.

Xena nodded, and ran her fingers through Gabrielle's hair. "Uh huh" Gently tracing the outside edge of the bard's ear, and seeing the pulse point in her neck jump.

The bard briefly toyed with the idea of coaxing some additional time out of Xena, knowing she could.. but acknowledging her mother probably could use the help. And the support. She giggled suddenly. "Oh gods..."

"What?" Xena asked, peering at her.

"My mother is going to go crazy when she meets yours." She rolled over, still laughing. "That's going to be worth seeing. Did you catch Lila watching her out of the corner of her eye? Cyrene, Warrior Innkeeper. Gods, Xena..that almost made me hurt myself laughing."

Xena rolled up onto one elbow and grinned. "Well she is. She terrorized that poor cook."

The bard gazed up at her and smirked. "I guess you come by that honestly, then, huh"

The warrior glowered at her, then laughed. "Yeah..maybe I do." She admitted sheepishly.

Gabrielle gazed fondly at the familiar lines of her face, and traced the darts of sunlight down her neck and across the wide expanse of her shoulders. And sighed. "Gotta go help, huh?" Wistfully. Then finding her attention suddenly distracted by the intensity of the blue eyes across from her, that caused a subtle warmth to start spreading out from her gut. Uhhh.. maybe we could postpone that for a little while..

"Guess so." Xena answered, but she couldn't seem to tear her eyes away from Gabrielle's and she found her hand moving of it's own accord to reach out and stroke her face. Felt the sensual jolt as the bard caught her hand in her own, kissing her palm, and making her pulse race. Guess chores are going to wait a few minutes.. her mind chuckled, as she leaned forward and felt Gabrielle's hands slide under the cloth of her shirt and begin teasing explorations, while their lips found each other and the world faded out for a while.

***************************************************

"Y'know, I could get used to this dawn thing." Gabrielle drawled, a bit later, nibbling her way up Xena's exposed belly, ending up tucked under her chin and settling comfortably into her surrounding arms. "I should try waking up like this more often." And felt Xena take a long breath, and let it out slowly, warming the back of her head, and sending a trickle of air down her neck. Gabrielle grinned.. it felt good. So did the low chuckle that followed it that laid tiny vibrations all up and down her spine. Actually, that felt more than good. Her eyes closed in contentment.

"I'll have to remember that." Xena commented, giving the now openly daylit window a sheepish look. "We'd really better go help out, or we'll never hear the end of it."

"Mmm." Gabrielle sighed "I suppose I can't just say to Hades with the wedding, right?"

"Gabrielle..." A warning tone, but there was laughter in it.

"You gotta help me put that dress on. There are several dozen little things to tie. Its worse than your armor." The bard added, in a aggrieved tone, as Xena gave her a hug, then released her, rolling out of bed and standing up. "All right. .all right.." She hopped down off the bed and crossed to where Xena was rummaging in their packs, and ran her hands over the warrior's bare back. "Anyone ever tell you that you have a really nice back?"

Xena turned around and put her hands on her hips. "Only you, but on several occasions." She answered with a wry chuckle. "Get dressed, Gabrielle." She paused, and let her eyes sweep the unrepentantly grinning bard's form. "Or I won't be responsible for explaining why you missed your sister's wedding."

Gabrielle closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. "You'd better get dressed first, or I won't care if I miss my sister's wedding." Gods.. what's gotten into me today? Must have been something in that ale last night. She blushed, and heard Xena chuckle. "Sorry."

Felt hands gently cradle her face, and she opened her eyes to see Xena's dazzling grin peering down at her. "Don't ever apologize for that, Gabrielle." And kissed her soundly.

"Did you have to do that?" The bard gurgled, as they broke apart, and Xena pushed a tunic at her with a laugh. "I'm gonna kill you."

"Sure, sure. Threats." The warrior snorted, as she fastened the straps on her leathers. "I'm scared." She ran a comb through her dark hair, and twisted it back off her face.

"Roo!"

They both looked down, to see Ares sitting on his hindquarters, front paws braced, looking from one to the other of them. "Oh.." Xena crouched down and pushed him over, rubbing his belly. "You want to get in the act too? All right.. you can come hunting with me. How's that?" She stood up, scooping the puppy up and carrying him with her as they headed down the stairs.


Cyrene strolled outside the small temple, nodding briskly to herself. She’d spent her morning productively, and had every reason to be pleased with herself. She’d scratched the inn’s proposed feast, and when they’d protested that they had no other viable choices.. her daughter, gods bless her hunting talents, had blithely shown up with the most enormous deer, and deposited it at that innkeeper’s feet with that delightfully smug smile of hers. Cyrene grinned just thinking of it.

So that had gone well, and she’d finally gotten her working relationship figured out with the inn cook – once she’d convinced the woman that she really did know her way around the kitchen. And had let her taste some samples. Cyrene chuckled softly.

Then there had been the temple – she’d sent Toris over to help decorate it with garlands of flowers, and now she wandered over to take a peek. She spotted a bunch of village girls working on the project, and Toris helping – but it was obvious his attention was distracted by a quietly working figure some distance from the others.

Gabrielle, and with a set expression on her face. Cyrene stayed a moment, and watched the bard complete what she was doing, then walk out of the back door to the temple. Noted the uneasy glances that followed her from the villagers, and the concerned look from her son. Toris noticed her, and walked over, grasping her arm and steering her outside.

"What’s wrong?" She asked, in a low voice.

Toris glanced around and then looked at her. "It’s Gabrielle – did you know what happened the last time she was home?"

"No." Cyrene breathed. "But you’re going to tell me, aren’t you dear?"

And he did, having heard it in several different versions from the village girls he had been helping. Perdicus, Callisto, and her own wedding. "Gods." Cyrene sighed. "Leave it to Xena not to mention all this." She patted his arm. "You stay here and help. I’ll see if I can find her."

"Try the graveyard." Toris replied, quietly, as he gave her a nod, and returned to the temple. The girls covertly watched him as he crossed back over to them and picked up yet another garland, and he chuckled wryly to himself. Time for a little lesson, I think.

"So." The oldest of them asked, watching him out of the corner of her eyes. "What's it like being Xena's brother?" The youngest giggled. "Can she beat you up?"

Toris laughed. "Sure." Noting their startled glances. "She can beat up everyone. Really handy to have around, as you guys found out yesterday." He paused. "Sorry we missed all the excitement. But we were really glad to have a chance to come over and meet the rest of Gabrielle's family." Keeping a straight face was hard. "Now that she's a sister to me also."

The older girl stopped, and cocked her head at him. "You consider Gabrielle part of your family?" They were all watching him covertly, paying the barest attention to the flowers they were arranging.

"Of course." Toris replied, hopping up on a stone bench, and throwing one end of the garland in his hands over the wooden suppport beam over his head. "We all do.. and you should have seen the huge birthday party we threw for her when she was.." He hesitated for a moment. "Back home." And for a little while, it had been. And might, an inner sense told him, one day be so again. He smiled. "We love her. She's great."

They looked at him quietly, then looked at each other.

Toris grinned, and kept decorating.


Cyrene walked down the solitary path, the only sound being her boot soles crunching the gravel strewn over the ground. The sparse woodland around her seemed barren, as winter had settled in the region, and she felt.. chilled. She rounded the last corner before the burial ground, and stopped, in the shadow of an old oak, one hand resting on the rough bark. Before her lay the graveyard, and in the center of the many stones stood one, lonely figure.

Gabrielle stood in silence, looking down at the neatly kept burial plot at her feet. Hello, Perdicus. She sighed. I hope you’re in the Elysian Fields, somewhere. With lots of people to talk to, and things to do. She studied her boots for a while. I know you can hear my thoughts… and I know you know what’s happened to me since you.. left. A long pause I’m sorry, Perdicus. You don’t know how sorry I am. Sorry you had to get in her way. Sorry we went through with our marriage. Sorry I couldn’t give you the one thing you asked of me. Her eyes misted. Because that had been given elsewhere before we’d ever met again. And I think…deep in your heart.. you knew that. She hugged herself. I did. And I went ahead with it anyway, and I’ll never, ever forgive myself for that. Even if you do. Even if.. even though she freely does. I won’t. Not ever.

A glance up at the cloudlessly clear blue sky. They’re right, Perdicus. This isn’t my home, not anymore. Maybe I’m just unlucky. I always got blamed for bad harvests, remember? Anyway. I know you’re at peace now. Someday, we’ll sit down and talk, ok? And don’t be mad at Xena… none of this was her fault, Perdicus. It wasn’t. Callisto surprised us.. we thought she’d go for me. Never expected her to go for you. If Xena could have stopped her, she would have… even though, , I know now.. that would have been a terrible thing for both of us. For all of us. Because she’s the other half of my soul, and as much as I know you loved me.. that would have come between us.

She prayed for me, Perdicus.. she never asks the gods for anything, but she got down on her knees, and offered her sword, and prayed for my soul. And you know.. that’s an image I carry in my heart.. always. She used her sleeve to clear her eyes. Time to go get dressed, and watch my sister get married, old friend. I’m praying that her life with Lennat is long, and without danger, and fruitful. They belong together.. be happy for them. I am. Gently, she knelt, and took a bunch of the flowers from the wedding garlands, and cast them over his grave. Then she stood, and kept one last flower, and twirled it in her fingers. Good rest, old friend. Then she took a long breath, and turned, walking back towards the path, between the rows of long and recent dead.

As she got back onto the path, she realized Cyrene was standing in the shadows, watching her. "Hello, mom." She said, quietly, as she drew abreast of the older woman.

Cyrene walked forward and pulled her into a hug. "I’m sorry, Gabrielle." She murmured into the bard’s ear. "Sorry you had to have that happen. You don’t deserve such unhappy things."

Gabrielle returned the hug, then stepped back a pace, and gazed at Cyrene. "I’ve kind of come to a.. conclusion about all that." Her mouth moved in a weary half smile. "Sometimes, things have to happen. And.. it seems horrible when they do. But you look back on them later, and see that… well, they just had to happen. That’s all."

"Is that how you live with it, daughter?" The older woman whispered, appalled.

"I have to." The bard whispered back. "Because I know… in the truth of my heart, that if he’d lived, I would have been.. It was a mistake, mom.. and I knew it was." Her eyes closed, and her shoulders slumped. "And I did It anyway. So this had to happen. " She paused. "Because if it hadn't.. " In her minds eye she could suddenly picture what might have been.. the slow dying of her dreams, and the stark emptiness in her that she'd come to know only could be filled with one person. That she'd started to feel, even that night she and Perdicus were together. She'd told herself then that it would fade, after a while. But now.. knowing now what she did.. A shudder passed through her. "But I made the wrong decision. And we all paid for it."

"Oh, Gabrielle." Cyrene hugged her again. "Is that what my daughter thinks, too?"

The bard sniffed, and laid her head on Cyrene’s shoulder. "No.. she says what happened was Callisto’s fault, and neither of us can take the blame for it."

"She’s right, you know." Cyrene said, patting her back gently. "Imagine, my daughter showing sense."

This got a faint laugh from Gabrielle. "Hey.." she protested. "she has lots of sense." Realizing what Cyrene was doing and glad of it. "She sees things a lot clearer than I do sometimes. " Defending Xena being an unconscious reflex to her.. even against her mother. Even though she knew Cyrene was just trying to get her mind off things.

"Hmm.." Cyrene put an arm around her and steered her up the path. "Must be that height. Better view." But inwardly, her heart ached, for this young bard, and for her daughter as well. "Did she stand for you, at your wedding, dear?"

Gabrielle nodded. And closed her eyes momentarily against the memory that goodbye.

"And blessed it, too, I would think." The older woman coaxed.

The bard nodded again. If only I could have read her then like I can now. I would have known. That wouldn't have fooled me for a second, not with the way her heart was pounding. I felt it, when she hugged me. So was mine.

Cyrene sighed. "She’s such an idiot sometimes."

Gabrielle snorted in surprised laughter. "No she’s not." Then her throat closed, and she could barely speak. "She just did what she thought was best for me." She paused. "She always does. Even when it’s really not the best thing for her."

Cyrene hugged her shoulders. "That’s one of the most honest definitions of love that I’ve ever heard, Gabrielle."

The bard smiled. "I know." They walked on in silence for a bit. Then.. "Thanks, mom."

"Anytime, dear. And speaking of that, when do I get to be introduced to your own mother? I’d ask Xena to do it, but you know how that usually goes."

They glanced at each other, and chuckled. "Actually, she’s been umm.. really diplomatic this whole time." Gabrielle stated, with a grin. "Except for the odd threat, and dumping someone in a manure pit." She sighed. "Come on. I’ll do the honors."


Oh.. that was amusing. Gabrielle contemplated, as she climbed the stairs to their room, after performing introductions at her family home. Sorry Xena had to miss that. She would have enjoyed it. Lila sure did. She pushed open the door, and glanced around. Xena was no where to be found, but she’d been there.

Gabrielle walked around the room, and smiled. Her dress had been unpacked from it’s bundle, and neatly hung up, all the laces and fastenings straightened and arranged precisely. On the table lay her small kit, and the bag she kept her jewelry in. Next to a basket of bread, cheese, and fruit, with a note resting on top of it. She lifted the note, written in a firm, familiar hand.

"Eat something, or you’ll keel over during the ceremony. I mean it. X."

She lifted the note to her lips and pressed it there. Gods, I love her. Her mind chuckled. The uneasy depression she’d been plagued with since decorating the temple eased away from her as she complied, perching on the edge of the table, selecting a thick slice of bread, and topping it with a creamy white chunk of cheese.

She was halfway done with it, when the door swung silently open. She glanced up to meet Xena’s eyes, and gave her a warm smile. "Hey." Her hand gestured around the room. "Thanks."

A grin from the warrior, and a depreciating shrug. "Thought you could use a hand."

Gabrielle gazed at her, and put down her bread. "The only thing I could use right now is you." The words were out before she could stop them.

Xena put down the bundle she was carrying, and came over to her. "Toris said you were upset.. not that I needed his bulletin. C’mere." She opened her arms and wrapped Gabrielle in them, pulling the bard into close contact.

The bard fell gratefully into her strong embrace. "Gods.. that feels good." She muttered into Xena’s shoulder, breathing in the welcome scent of herbal soap and leather, and her soulmate. "I thought I had everything pretty much under control.. I forgot about the temple. Brought it all back."

"Yeah. For me, too." Came the unexpected answer. "I don’t.. have fond memories of the place." She avoided Gabrielle’s heartsick eyes. "Maybe the wedding today’ll wipe those out." And managed a smile for her partner. "Listen, if you want to stick around after the ceremony.."

"No." Immediate and final. "I’ve had about enough of this place. I want to spend tonight under the stars. Alone, except for a wolf, a horse, and you."

Xena gave an unseen smile. "Our stuffs already packed." She replied. "I’m looking forward to that, too." Gods.. was she ever. Enough of small minds, small villages, and petty intrigues. "Mom has things under control here – she’ll stay on for a few days, and get things straightened out with Hecuba." Her lips twitched. "Now that was a pair to see together."

Finally releasing Gabrielle, who moved just far enough away to gaze up at her. "You’re wonderful."

Getting a sardonic grin from Xena. "Not."

Gabrielle wrapped her hands in the soft leather covering her and tugged hard. "Yes."

"Go get cleaned up." Xena changed the subject. "And let’s get you into that dress, so you can get to this wedding. " she paused. "Get going."

"Ok mom." Gabrielle teased, sliding in for one more hug.

"I’m going to get you for that, squirt." Xena threatened, wrapping an arm around her waist and lifting up . "Gotcha."

"Xena!" The bard laughed. "Let me down!"

"Uh uh." The warrior shook her head. "You’re stuck. I’m gonna carry you into the ceremony just like this." She started walking towards the door. "I might even do this." And proceeded to tickle her, getting yells of outrage from the bard, who was laughing too hard too struggle much.

"Ohh.. Yow! Cut that out…" She tried to get a grab on Xena, but the warrior ignored her efforts and kept walking, out the door and down the hallway to the bathing room. "Xena!!!"

"Did you hear something?" Xena asked no one in particular. "I must be imagining things." She nudged the door open with a booted foot, and kicked it shut behind them, and grabbed Gabrielle’s knees, swinging her up into a cradled position. "Unfasten your tunic."

Gabrielle blew out a breath, but did as she was asked. "What are you doing? Xena, it’s going to be cold in .. oh. Wow." As she was lowered into the waiting tub full of warm scented water. "Wow." Xena removed her loosened tunic, and pulled it free, leaving her to float. "Wow." She sighed, and took in a deep breath of the steamy, jasmine scented water. And looked up at Xena in stark adoration. "You’re so cute."

Xena paused, as she folded up the bard’s tunic, and put both hands on the tub rim, raising both eyebrows and snorting. "Cute?"

"Uh huh." Gabrielle caught her lower lip in her teeth in an effort not to smirk. She splashed water at her partner. "Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone just how sweet you are, and how cute. And nice. I promise."

Xena blushed. Which got a delighted giggle from Gabrielle. The warrior scowled. "I just thought…"

A hand slid from the tub and covered hers, and the bard’s face went serious. "I know you did. And.. gods.. thank you. For everything. Xena, I mean that."

Xena sat down on a low stool next to the tub, and rested her chin on her folded arms atop the rim. "You’ve had a really rough time here, Gabrielle. I would.. I would have spared you this, if I could have." Her blue eyes were filled with an aching sadness.

"Fair trade, Xena." The bard whispered, touching her fingertips to Xena’s cheek. "Lila, mother, Lennat..Tectdus, Alain.. it was worth it. "

"I knew you’d say that." Came the quiet response. "Here, let me get your hair..time’s running short."


Gabrielle stood in front of the mirror, scowling at her reflection. "I really don’t…"

"Shh." Xena said, adjusting her sleeve. "You look beautiful." And she did, the dress, in cascading layers ranging from pale gray to slate picked up on her coloring, and made her tanned skin and red gold hair fairly glow.

"No." Gabrielle turned and looked at her. "I look adequate. You, on the other hand, look drop dead gorgeous." Surveying the rich, wine colored embroidered silk long tunic Xena was wearing. ‘But then, you could wear a towel and look that way, so…"

"Opinions vary." Xena snorted, adjusting the high collar on her outfit, and flicking her hands through her dark hair to settle it. The tunic was tapered, and outlined her muscular form with elegant precision, moving with her as she moved, and clinging to her body in just the right places. Not bad. She grudgingly admitted to herself. Well.. if they’re gonna stare, might as well give em something to stare at. She grinned at her reflection, and settled the intricately worked bracelets around her wrists. "At least it covers most of the scars." But her eyes twinkled.

Gabrielle glanced in the mirror, and was caught by the image of them both, standing side by side in the warm sunlight from the window. ‘Actually.." she gave Xena a little sidelong glance, and blushed. "That’s quite a picture." She nodded towards the reflection.

"Mmm." Xena arched an eyebrow at her. "I guess it is, at that." She put her arms around the bard, and observed the results in the mirror. Quite a picture, indeed.

They looked at each other, and smiled "Ok..we’d best be going." Gabrielle finally said, giving her dress one last twitch.

"Hmm.." Came the response. "Oh.. one last little thing." Xena casually captured Gabrielle’s hand, and slid a ring gently on her finger. Completely enjoying the totally stunned look on the bard’s face. "Figured that’s easier to carry around than that damned dagger." She tried to be offhand, but her voice broke, and she flushed. She'd been more nervous about this than she'd thought.

Gabrielle opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. So she studied the ring instead – it was a smaller version of Xena’s own signet, with her crest engraved on it, and serpentine twined gold underneath. "It… it’s beautiful." She finally whispered. Oh.. gods. It’s perfect.. "But.. I mean.. you didn’t have to… I know you.. " A slight pause. "Oh Xena." In the softest voice she had.

"Uhm." Xena sounded uncharacteristically unsure of herself. "Look.. the ceremony today is.. kind of a legal contract. And… the Amazons have a ceremony that.. provides a.. social contract." Her eyes moved up and met Gabrielle’s. "I don’t think either of those really.. cover… what you are to me."

Saw the bard’s jaw clench tight, and her throat swallow hard.

"So I had to improvise." She paused. "As usual.. so I just.. well, I thought.. I wanted to give you something that." she took a breath Gods..this was harder than I'd thought it would be. "Something that.. well, kind of indicates just how.. much you’re a part of me." There. Gods. I’ve fought entire battles in less time, and with far less effort. And I even practiced for this one.. She dropped her gaze and finished quietly. "Because you are a vital part of my life, Gabrielle. And I.. can't express to you just how happy that's made me.."

Can I freeze this moment? Gabrielle hugged herself. I want it to last forever, so I can take it out, in the darkest of times, and just remember it, and that will drive the darkness away and put my soul at rest. I want to memorize every sound, every smell.. so that the birdsong outside, and the ping of the smith’s hammer, and the scent of newly put out beeswax candles, and the color of her tunic, and the look in her eyes.. everything.. will remind me of this instant of time.

"Iif there were words to express what I'm feeling right now..I'd say them." The bard said softly. "But there aren't, so I'll just tell you that you are my life." She paused, never taking her eyes from Xena’s. "And my home. And you always will be."

They stood in the silence of the moment, in the warm sunlight that slanted across their joined hands and danced off the reflecting mirror, and let the emotions settle inside them.

Finally, Gabrielle smiled thoughtfully. "I’ve seen writings that celebrate the joining of lives.. of hearts.. Xena, but none of them tell what it’s like to be in the center of the joining of two souls…" She gave a faint shake of her head. "I wonder why not?"

"I don’t know." Xena said, lifting her hand up and brushing her fingers with her lips. "Probabaly because you haven't written it yet." Her eyes took on a burnished glow. "Now I guess you will."

"I guess I will, at that." Came the softly laughing answer. "Come on.. if I’m late to this, I’ll never hear the end of it."

Xena held an arm out, and raised her eyebrows. Gabrielle wrapped her arm around the warriors, and they headed for the temple.


"Everything ready?" Cyrene asked, putting a friendly hand on Hecuba’s arm. "Hecuba?"

"Hmm?" The distracted woman replied. "Oh..goodness. Yes, I’m sorry, Cyrene. You’ve been like a gift from the gods. Thank you." She spared the dark haired woman a glance, still trying to get used to the idea of the utterly strange and violent Xena having.. of all things, a mother. And a very nice one, at that, who had calmly stepped in, and taken charge of many of the details her frazzled mind hadn’t really had the energy to cope with. The woman was positively… competent. And had very nice things to say about her Gabrielle, who had simply strolled in to the kitchen earlier and said "Mother, this is Cyrene." And she’d looked up from her preparations, quite startled, to see an older woman, of middling height, and piercing eyes standing next to her older daughter.

And she’d liked her, very much. They’d had a lot to talk about.. living in villages, crops, dealing with merchants. Her lips twitched. Daughters. She'd learned a lot about the person her Gabrielle had chosen to live her life with.. and now that she'd resigned herself to that, it had gotten easier for her to see Xena as smoething more than an ex warlord. But she still feared for her daughter. And had found out that Cyrene felt the same way.

Now they stood in the temple, waiting. Hecuba glanced around approvingly. "They did a lovely job with the flowers, don’t’ you think?"

Cyrene nodded, and watched the villagers start to gather in the temple, clustering in small clumps, and talking amongst themselves. The door nudged open, and Gabrielle slipped in, spotting her sister near the altar and crossing towards her.

"Oh my…doesn’t she look nice." Hecuba remarked, with a little surprised smile.

Cyrene gave an appreciative chuckle. "Very beautiful." She agreed. And the fair haired bard certainly did look nice.. the shaded grays of her dress set off her hair, and made her vividly green eyes stand out sharply. Too.. she carried herself with an air of confidence.. and had in inner glow about her that was very different than the quiet sadness Cyrene had seen earlier. Something happened.. and if I know my daughter, she was at the root of it. the innkeeper predicted.

"Gabrielle!" Hecuba called, motioning her over. The bard changed direction in mid stride, and walked over to join them. "How lovely you look!"

"Thanks." Gabrielle grinned. "They did a good job with the dress." She glanced down and gave a little shrug.

A whistle sounded behind them, and then Toris was poking his head between Gabrielle and Cyrene. "Wow..you look great, Gabrielle." He winked a bright blue eye at her, and she gave him a warm smile in return.

The bard plucked his sleeve, and stood back a minute to gaze at him. "You look pretty nice yourself, Toris. That’s a great color on you."

Toris blushed, contrasting strongly with the deep blue of his tunic, shades darker than his eyes. "Uhh… thanks."

Hecuba bent her head closer to her daughter and sighed "And what a lovely necklace." She turned Gabrielle towards the light a little. "Wonderful color."

"Everyone says that." Gabrielle replied, with an impish grin.

Cyrene chuckled, and happened to glance down, catching a small movement out of the corner of her eye. Gabrielle’s hand was flexing slightly, her fingers playing unconsciously with an unfamiliar ring that graced her finger. Then she stilled for a instant. Long enough for Cyrene to get a good look at the piece of jewelry. That scamp! Her mind chortled. I can’t believe she didn’t tell me she was going to do that!

"Well, Lila’s waving at me.. gotta go." The bard remarked, giving her mother a hug. "See you all later."

She turned and strode over to where Lila was standing, and gave her younger sister a hug as well. Lila plucked her gray sleeve, and said something that must have been sarcastic, because Gabrielle spread both hands out and shrugged.

"Gods." Toris’ voice rose to a squeak, alarming Cyrene.

"What??" She demanded, turning to face him, and realizing his gaze was fixed across the room. She whirled, and spotted what he was looking at, and raised both eyebrows. My..goodness..

Xena had entered quietly from a side door, and was making her way across the temple towards them, passing in and out of pungent bars of sunlight from the windows that caught every silken fold of the rich burgundy tunic she was wearing and dancing reflections off the twin knotted bracelets at her wrists. Moving with an unconscious strength that the clinging fabric did nothing to disguise.

Surely… Cyrene mused. Surely she realizes every singe eye in the room is on her. And a quick movement of her head told her that was true… and caught Lila’s poke at her sister, who smirked. And she felt a surge of maternal pride.

"Hi." Xena said, glancing from her mother to her brother. "Something wrong?"

"Whoa.. lemme tell you.. if you weren’t my sister.." Toris growled, sidling up next to her and running his fingers over the soft fabric.

"You would do.. what? Toris?" Xena replied, raising a dark eyebrow at him, and adding a feral smile. "Hmm??"

"Mmm…something that would guarantee to land me in the healer’s hut." Her brother responded, waggling his eyebrows at her. "You look really good in that, sis."

Xena grinned. "Thanks. You look pretty nice yourself." She patted him on the side. "You too, mother."

Cyrene snorted. "Hmph. Two best looking people in the whole room, and what do you know? I’m their mother."

"Mom!" They both sighed in unison.

Cyrene grinned.


"Great Hera, Gabrielle… you look fantastic. Much better than I do." Lila teased, as her sister crossed to where she was standing near the altar. "When did you get to be gorgeous?"

"Lila!" Her sister snorted. "Get real." She looked around, and took a deep breath. And put her memories of this place firmly away, for another time. This was Lila’s day, and she refused to think about sad things during it. "Besides, you look great yourself."

"No, really.." Lila protested, turning her towards the light. "I’m not joking." In a softer tone. "You look like… you look different somehow."

"Nope." The bard grinned cheerfully. "Just me." She looked around. "Where’s Lennat?"

Lila rolled her eyes. "Getting last minute instructions from our father, and Tectdus."

"Mmm…is that a good thing?" Gabrielle asked, crossing her arms over her chest, and raising her eyebrows.

"Well, Lennat is pretty strong minded.." She giggled. " And Tectdus is really sweet., so.." She stopped speaking and reached a hand out, grabbing her sister’s hand and pulling it away from her chest. "Gabrielle!!!"

"Hey..what..oh." The bard surrendered her hand, trying not to blush. "Yeah..uhm…"

"That is really beautiful." Lila crooned, examining the seal. "Is that…" She glanced up at Gabrielle’s face. "Must be." She grinned, and paused, and they looked at each other. "I hope.. gods, I hope my life with Lennat will put half the expression on my face that you have on yours right now."

Gabrielle closed her eyes, and let the rich warmth roll over her again. Then she let her eyes slide open and gazed at her sister. "I hope so too."

"Well, I don’t… gods, Bree." Lila’s eyes widened, and she poked her sister sharply in the ribs. "Whoa…"

Yeah, whoa. Gabrielle took a breath. That’s mine. Then the blue eyes lanced across the temple, and caught hers, and gave her a conspiratorial wink. And she realized she had that amazingly dumb grin on her face by the sudden twinkle in Xena’s eyes, and the flash of her own dazzling smile. "Cleans up nice, doesn’t she." she commented to Lila, getting her face back under some kind of control.

Lila gave her a look, then laughed. "Well, that just stunned half the village. Between her and Toris, yo'uve managed to cover eveyrthing.."

Gabrielle chuckled, and watched Xena join her family just off to the side of where she was standing. "Yeah.. they're quite a pair." And got another wink from her partner, which she returned, with a smile.

Then the door pushed open, and Lennat strode across the rough stone floor, followed by Tectdus, and Metrus, and Herodotus. The villagers quieted down, and started to gather around the altar where the priest was standing.

Lennat stepped up next to Lila, and took her hand, lifting it to his lips, and kissing it. They turned and faced the altar, and the priest joined them, draping fragrant garlands of flowers over their heads, and scattering them with herbs.

Alain, wide eyed, stood next to Lennat, all startled nervousness, and freshly scrubbed pink skin. "My brother!" He whispered to no one in particular, having been newly told.. "Wow." He glanced up and over to where Xena was standing, and gave her a grin.

She winked at him. That made his face all happy, and he sighed in contentment. The stories he’d always loved best were the ones Bree always told that had heroes in them. He bounced up and down on his feet a time or two. Now he knew a hero himself. He had a picture. now. one of his very own.. that he kept to snuggle down with at night and remember..

Herodotus was a silent, brooding presence behind his daughter, and Lennat. His face was still and closed, and no reaction showed there, even when his eyes flickered off the altar, and glanced over Gabrielle.. And went no further, because he knew if he did.. if he let his eyes slide past her elegant form, he’d have to meet a pair of ice blue eyes whose intensity he’d discovered too much for him to bear.

Damn her. His mind growled. I want to hate her. Oh.. how I want to. But his mind kept running the previous day over and over..leaving him no rest. No solace, even with enough drink to take him into oblivion, he still saw that damn minotaur’s froth flecked face coming at him. Swinging that damn club at him..and knowing his death was approaching.

Then that damn woman.. that damn woman. She’d jumped in front of that minotaur, and taken the blow that had been meant for him. He’d seen it..seen the look of agony on her face as it struck.. no matter how she tried to shrug it off later. He’d heard the horrible crunch as both of them had hit the tree next to where he was standing. Seen her somehow..somehow… collect herself, and just…He’d never imagined what it would be like to be a warrior..never thought beyond the shiny swords, and the triumphs.. never imagined what it would be like to pit your body day after day, time after time, against enemies that, some of them, were bigger, and faster, and stronger than you were. She’d gone against that beast not caring – knowing only that she stood between it.. and him. Put his life before hers. And his mind would admit to only one definition for her now.

He was furious. At himself. At her. At the damned images that she’d planted in his mind, after all these cursed years that were stirring something in him he desperately wanted to keep buried. To forget. The part of him that he saw so agonizingly in his older daughter. Gods damn you, Xena. You will not wake that voice in me, not now. Not again.

But was there. Whispering to him. He’d wanted to give into it so badly – Hecuba had asked him what happened when he’d gotten home right after.. and he’d bitten his lip almost through from the want of it. The need to paint with words the pictures now so vividly embedded in his mind. The need they thought they’d beaten out of him, all those years ago which he himself had actually killed with bitterness and drink long after.

Resolutely, he shut that out of his thoughts. And returned his attention to the priest, and the ceremony before him. It would go away after a while. They always did. But damn that woman.

"Doesn’t he look like he swallowed a cow patty?" Cyrene muttered almost inaudibly, knowing Xena would hear her.

"Mmm." Came the slightly louder response.

"I can’t abide him, Xena. Can’t – I can talk to Hecuba, but.." She continued, keeping her eyes on the progressing ceremony. "Nothing will change with him."

Felt a sudden hand on her shoulder, and felt the warmth as Xena leaned close to her ear. "Anyone can change."

She turned her head slightly, and met the serious gaze from her daughter. Who was living proof of that statement. Her mind twitched. Or was she? Had she changed in the last two years.. or merely reawakened a part of herself long buried? Cyrene remembered the toddler who insisted on aggressively protecting village curs, and smiled inwardly. "It’s impossible, Xena."

"Get him to tell you a story." Came the whispered response. Then Xena leaned back, and bumped shoulders with Toris, who was attentively listening to the exchange of vows. Toris glanced at her, and unexpectedly slid an arm across her shoulders.

Got a raised eyebrow.

"Because I can, and not get my ribs broken." Was his answer, with a smug look. Then he flinched as he felt her shift.

"Relax." She snorted, and returned the gesture, curling an arm around his waist. "I’m not going to dump you on the ground in the middle of a wedding."

They glanced at each other, and smiled, and then turned to watch, as Lennat lifted the garlands off of their necks, and wound them around the pair of clasped hands in front of them, and Xena saw Gabrielle’s shoulders twitch, and a pang of sympathy rang though her. Hang in there, love. It’s almost over.

Saw the bard take a deep breath, and square her shoulders, and the lift of the head that Xena knew well. Good girl. Her mind smiled.

Then the ceremony was over, and they were showering the new pair with flower petals, blessing the union with symbols of the earth’s fertility. Lennat and Lila held their arms up in protection from the shower, and ran for the door, laughing.

And as they crossed the door threshold, waving, Xena relived one of her own private nightmares. Even after all this time, and with her relationship with Gabrielle being what it was… it still hurt. The feeling of abandonment that had left such emptiness in her that it had.. for an endless time that night almost.. almost… She closed her eyes, and let it run its course. Damn.. that was a long night. And I hadn’t cried like that since… Lyceus. She took a deep breath, and felt a concerned hand on her arm.

"Xena?" Cyrene’s voice was very low, as she studied the lost look on her daughter’s face. "Dear?"

"I’m all right. Just some bad memories." Xena replied, letting the nightmare fade back into the recesses of her thoughts. "Nice ceremony, wasn’t it?"

Cyrene forced a smile, guessing which memories were plaguing Xena. "Lovely." She sighed. Should she needle the thoughts from her daughter? No.. that picture didn’t need to be dragged into the light. "Hey.." She prodded her in the belly. "Nice ring Gabrielle is wearing."

"Oof." Xena mock coughed at the poke, then blushed a little, and glanced at the stone floor. "Yeah, well…"

"Was that my name I heard?" Came Gabrielle’s quiet voice as she slid in beside Xena, and leaned against her shoulder. "What am I being blamed for this time?"

"You?" Xena snorted, feeling her good humor slowly returning. "Who ever blames you for anything? Now.. me, on the other hand…"

They grinned at each other, and Xena felt the gentle comforting movement of the bard’s hand against her back. Guess she sensed that, a minute ago. She sighed inwardly. Let go of it, Xena. It’s in the past. This is now.

"If you two are determined to leave.." Cyrene said, but in a gentle tone. "You’d best get something to eat first."

"Mom, I like your priorities." Gabrielle answered, with an irrepressible smirk. "Especially if you had anything to do with the cooking."

Cyrene chuckled. "That’s as may be…shall we?" She gestured them out, and grabbed Toris’ arm, puling him ahead, to leave Xena and Gabrielle walking a few paces behind.

They looked at each other.

"Subtle." In unison.

They walked towards the door, then Gabrielle slowed, and pulled Xena to a halt, at about, Xena mused, the place they’d said their good-byes the last time.

Gabrielle paused, obviously gathering her thoughts, then took a breath to speak. She gazed up into Xena’s eyes for a long moment, then sighed. "I’m sorry." She closed her eyes and dropped her head. "I’m sorry." Again, this time whispered.

"No." Xena lifted both hands, and carefully cradled Gabrielle’s face in her hands, raising her head up. "I should have said something then."

Green eyes melded with hers. "There was something to say?" Quiet wonder in her voice.

Xena nodded, letting a faint smile touch her lips. "For a long time."

Gabrielle caught her breath. "How long?"

Now the smile deepened. "The moment I saw you."

The bard leaned forward and rested her head against Xena’s chest. "Now I don’t feel so bad." She sighed. "Me too."

Xena pulled her into a hug, and they stood in silence for a time.

Finally, Gabrielle pulled her head back, and gave Xena an amused look. "Come on..let’s get some food, get a cup of something with a kick in it, and get out of here. I’ve had about all I can take."

Xena chuckled, and they walked outside arm in arm.


"Now, you two take care." Cyrene fussed later, as she slung an extra bag on Argo’s saddle pad. "That’s dinner."

"Mother.." Xena laughed, then shook her head. "Thanks." She gave Cyrene a hug. "We’ll try. We want to stop in at the Amazons after we take a trip down the coast.. maybe we’ll drop by home."

Cyrene put her hands on her hips. "Maybe??"

Toris chuckled and gave her shoulder a punch. "I’ll be looking forward to it." And got a hug from his sister, which surprised him a little. "Hey..you getting all mushy on me?" The hug turned into a vise grip, which lifted him completely off his feet. "Ugh. Sorry. Scratch that." He coughed, as she relented and let him down.

Xena sighed. "You take care, Toris. Be careful on the ride home… I don’t like the idea of those raiding parties roaming around out there."

Toris grinned. "Guess you’ll have to stick close to make sure we’re all right then, huh?"

"Toris…" A warning growl.

He patted her cheek. "Just kidding."

Xena rolled her eyes, and finished fastening the extra bags on Argo. She reached down and picked up Ares, tucking him into his carry bag. "You’re almost big enough to run and keep up, huh boy?" She commented to the wolf.

"Roo!" He protested, and started chewing her thumb. She peered over Argo’s high back, keeping an eye on the small cluster of people around Gabrielle. Her family – whom Xena had already said a somewhat cordial good bye to.

"You be careful, all right, Bree?" Lila grasped her hands, and gave her a worried look. "Promise me?"

A quiet smile from the bard. "I promise." She hugged Lila, then her mother. "Take care, mother." With quiet grief, knowing just how long it might be before she crossed back into Potadeia.

"Be well, daughter." Hecuba replied, with a sigh. "Keep yourself safe."

Gabrielle nodded, and turned to rejoin Xena. And found herself face to face with her father. Her head lifted, and she gazed at him, waiting. Seeing, over his shoulder, a sharp pair of blue eyes watching intently. Felt safety cascade around her like a soft summer rain. He can’t hurt me. Not anymore. "Father." She said, with a cool tone.

"Gabrielle." He answered, studying her face. Saw himself in the strong structure of her bones. "Be well." A pause. "Come, I’ll walk you over to your friend." No color on the word. No indication on how he felt about it.

She nodded, and they turned and started walking.

"Sometimes things get said.. in haste.. that you live to regret." Herodotus commented, putting his hands behind his back and glancing everywhere but at Gabrielle. Or into Xena’s eyes, now getting closer and closer.

"Sometimes." Gabrielle allowed, watching his face.

"I may have done so." Her father said, taking a breath. " Would you.."

Gabrielle stopped, and regarded him. "I never heard it."

Herodotus nodded. "Very well."

They stopped in front of Argo, and Herodotus found himself looking over the horse’s back right into Xena’s level gaze. He blinked. She didn’t. "I don’t like you." He said, bluntly.

Xena’s eyebrow raised. "I don’t much like you either, Herodotus."

Slowly, he nodded. Then stepped around Argo and faced her, letting his eyes rake her from head to foot.

And put out a forearm, which was taken by the startled warrior. "So long as we have that understood." He released her arm, and stepped back, giving Gabrielle a final glance, then turning and heading back to the wedding party. Not once looking back.

They looked at each other in wary puzzlement. "What was that all about?" Gabrielle wondered.

Xena shrugged. "Don’t wanna know." She vaulted up onto Argo’s back. and waited, while Gabrielle gave Cyrene and Toris fierce hugs.

"Thank you for coming." She whispered into Cyrene’s ear. "It meant an awful lot."

Cyrene patted her on the back. "Wouldn’t have missed it."

The bard nodded, and walked back to Argo’s side, glancing up.

Xena grinned, and extended her arm, pulling Gabrielle up behind her.

They waved, and Xena kneed Argo into a canter, as they watched the village turn to fields, and then into rough country.

"So. You ever consider taking up a career as a diplomat?" Gabrielle asked, conversationally.

"What?" Xena half turned in the saddle, and peered at her. "Oh..yeah..I’m diplomatic, all right. Hey, Mr. Councilor, cancel your war or I’ll break your arm. Uh huh…"

"No, really..I think you’d be great. You could ride around with this big group of aides, and send diplomatic notes all over the countryside."

"Gabrielle!"

"No, huh?"

"No."

The bard sighed. "What about a fashion consultant. That was one great outfit you were.."

"Gabrielle…" This time a low, haunting growl. "I like what I do."

Gabrielle grinned. "Good." She leaned forward, and brushed Xena’s back with her lips. "I like what you do, too. "

Their laughter trailed them as Xena urged Argo into an headlong gallop, and scattered an outraged flock of ducks in the meadow before them.


Return to the Bard's Corner