Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: Implied.

Violence: None.

Language: Mild

Spoilers:

Other: Part six in the series "Legends Legacy". Takes place about six months after "Home Again"

 

The News

By T.Novan
TNOVAN@aol.com
 

 

"Gabrielle?"

I look up to find Bri standing in the doorway. Setting aside my latest scroll I wave her in. "What’s up?"

"I need your advice." She pulls out a chair, taking a seat next to me.

"With?"

"Mel."

I grin and offer. "Cold shower."

She laughs, shaking her head. "It’s not that kind of problem."

"Ah, okay. Sorry. It usually is with Xe."

She shakes her head again. "Nope. We have no problems there at all."

"Soooo…" I raise my brows, trying to get her to open up further.

"We’ve been married almost two full seasons now."

"Un-huh."

"I umm…well, I want to have a baby."

I sit back in my chair. I wasn’t expecting that. "And Mel?"

"I don’t know. That’s why I need your help. I want to figure out how to ask her."

"Just ask her." I shrug.

"Direct approach?"

"That’s always a good one. Less confusion that way."

"How about over the evening meal with you and Xena tonight?"

"Do you really want Xe and I there? It’s an awfully personal conversation."

"You’re her mother’s. Don’t you want grandchildren?"

"Of course we do, sweetheart."

"Then you can offer me some support here. Please?"

Oh boy. Now I have to tell Xe. I smile at my daughter. "Of course. We’d be happy to."

****

"She wants a what?" Xe tosses her gloves down on the table, turning to me.

"A baby."

"Great Gods on Olympus! Doesn’t she know that we’re on the verge of a rebellion among the amazons? This thing with the factions over the centaurs may end up in a war."

"Xe you won’t let it come to that. I know you. And you know as well as I do when a woman decides it’s time to have a baby there is very little you can do to talk her out of it."

I watch as my Warrior settles down on the couch in front of the fire. I pour a glass of wine and offer it to her. She shakes her head.

"Oh, come on Xe. Go ahead and drink it."

"I quit a long time ago and I have no intentions of starting again." She looks up at me. "Tea?"

"Sure." I place the kettle over the fire. "This really has you bothered Xe. I thought you’d be happy that Bri wants a baby."

I watch as she unhooks the first few catches on her tunic, letting it fall open just a bit at her throat. She takes a deep breath, scratching the back of her neck, looking to me. "I’m worried about how Mel is going to take it."

"Why?" I ask, curling up next to her. I feel her arm come to rest on my shoulders. "Mel’s a big girl. She knows how the birds and the bees work."

"Yeah, and she’s as thrilled about the concept as I was."

"Ah, the green eyed monster."

"Un-huh. The thoughts of Bri…" Xe just shakes her head. "Mel is not ready to let Bri be with a man. Even for the purpose of a baby."

"Hmm, maybe it is better that they’re coming over here for the evening meal then."

"They’re what!?" She pulls back from me, looking at me like I’ve just grown another head. "Oh no Ri! We are not going to get caught in the middle of this. This is for them to work out."

"Xe! What in Tartarus is wrong with you tonight?"

She sighs again, letting head drop a bit. "We’ve got problems of our own Ri."

"What?"

"Hades says it’s time."

I feel my shoulders slump, my eyes closing tight. I wondered how I would take this news. "When?"

"This winter."

"Damn." I mutter, getting to my feet to fix her tea. "Damn!" I pour the tea, turning to Xe I see the pain in her face too. "Not as easy as we thought it would be is it?"

"No."

"What about Kess and Rosa?"

"They’re grown. By amazon standards they’re adults."

"I thought I was prepared. I thought I could just…" I let my comment die when I hand her the mug and look into her eyes. "Oh, don’t you say it. Don’t you tell me how I can stay behind!"

"You can."

"I won’t."

"Even if it means leaving the girls?"

"Yes. They are grown and they are ready to take the throne. Ephiny will be here to guide them."

She pulls me into her arms. "I’m sorry love."

"Don’t be sorry Xe. We made a deal."

"You didn’t make it, I did."

"You? Me? There’s no difference. You’ve stood by me while I led the amazons and I’ll stand by you while you rule the Underworld."

****

Xe and I look back and forth at each other over our meal. Bri still hasn’t brought the subject up to Mel, who has been rambling on all night about every subject known to man and the Gods. Finally, Mel stops and looks at all three of us.

"Okay I give up. Getting any conversation out of you three is like trying to get Ares to play nice. What gives?" She drops her spoon to her bowl, then settles back in her chair.

"Well…Mel…" Bri starts then stops.

Mel looks to Xe and I. "I suppose you know what’s going on and are choosing to keep quiet."

"Pretty much." Xe offers from behind a mug of tea.

"Thanks a lot pal."

"No problem. This is between you and your wife." She stands, offering me her hand. "So, my wife and I, will be on the porch."

I can tell there is no arguing with her so I join her. She places her hand in the small of my back guiding me to the door. Pausing briefly, she grabs our cloaks from the hooks by the door. Outside she drapes my cloak over my shoulders then pulls her own on.

"That was…"

She cuts me off. "Yeah I know. Rude."

"To say the least."

"Well. they weren’t getting anywhere with us in there." She moves in behind me wrapping her arms around me. "Now they’ll have to."

"You know if Mel agrees we won’t be here to see the baby." I settle back in her arms.

"I know, but we won’t be here anyhow." She leans in kissing my ear. "Besides, who says we can’t make discreet trips back to see them. I will be after all, a full God. There should be some perks to the job."

I can’t help but laugh a bit, feeling her breath on my ear. "True. Hmm, I wonder what it’ll be like to make love to a God."

"Pretty much the same as it have been for the last twenty-five seasons." She chuckles in my ear.

"Ooo you are so arrogant." I tease, poking her in the ribs.

"Only," Now she’s nibbling on my ear and her voice has taken on that deep, husky tone it always gets when she not thinking the most chaste thoughts in the world. "It’ll be for eternity."

"Ohhh stop it." I moan a little, my knees feeling very weak.

"I’ve got you." She whispers in my ear. "Relax."

"Please stop." I beg half heartedly. "You know that in just a few moments they are either going to come out of that house with the big announcement or fighting. I’d rather not be aroused when it happens."

"You mean you’re not already? Huh, I’m losing my touch."

"You’re touch is just fine and that’s a big part of the problem here. Just behave until they’re gone."

"And then?"

"Then my darling Warrior," I turn in her arms, placing my hands on her shoulders. "I will drag you upstairs and make you beg for mercy."

"I don’t surrender." She smirks down at me.

"No, but I know for a fact you will beg." I smirk back

Just as she’s about the respond the door opens. Mel and Bri come out with rather large smiles on their faces.

"Looks like they worked it out." Xe whispers.

"Yes we did. No, thanks to you." Mel offers. Xe forgets Mel’s hearing is just as sensitive as her own.

"We didn’t want to interfere." I add then stop and wait. When the information isn’t forthcoming I give my daughter a swat on the arm. "So? What did you decide?"

"We’re going to have a baby." Bri tells me with a grin and a shrug.

"Oh sweetheart that’s wonderful!" I throw my arms around her neck hugging her close to me. "You enjoy it. It’s the most wonderful thing in the world."

"Oh boy." I hear Mel and Xe groan together.

Looking over at them they shuffle back and forth. "What’s that suppose to mean?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all." Xe defends looking guilty.

"It had better be nothing or all you’re plans have just gone south." I tease.

"Funny that’s usually where they go anyhow."

I can’t help but groan. I return my attention to Bri. "When?"

"We’re not sure. We’re going to have to start looking for a father."

"You okay with this runt?" Xe quirks a brow at Mel.

She nods. "You remember when you told me you would have done anything to make it Mom happy when she told you she wanted a baby?"

"Yeah."

Mel shrugs. "Same thing." She embraces Bri close to her. "But right, now we’re gonna go home and see if Artemis will bless us too." She lifts her chin at Xe. "You could put in a good word for us." She takes Bri’s hand and I watch them walk away.

Xe leans against the post of the porch watching Mel and Bri walk back toward the village. Mel wraps her arms around Bri and picks her up, swinging her around once before putting her down. It is clear they are very happy about their choice.

I pat Xe on the back and turn for the house. I hear her turn to follow me. "Where are you going?" She calls.

I ignore her.

"Ri?"

I continue in, tossing my cloak on the back of the couch.

"Ri? Honey?"

I let the smile on my face linger as I hear her come in, closing the door. I just continue up the steps to our bedchamber.

"Okay you win!" She yells up the stairs. "I’ll beg."

I knew it.

TBC…

 


Return to The Bard's Corner