Cleo watched another Sappho stagger by the inn, "Well, she’s got the walk right."

Sappho swatted at her and then looked closer, "Are you sure that’s a ‘she’?"

They all leaned over the railing for a better look.

"What? No ‘Gabrielles’." Xena commented dryly.

Just as she said that, Laci pointed out an amazing facsimile of a certain redheaded bard being lifted up and carried away on the shoulder of a tall, raven-haired, leather-clad woman warrior. She did not appear to be struggling.

Sappho’s snide remark was foiled by a voice coming from behind.

"Ah-hum.....excuse me!"

They all turned in unison and faced an elderly, stately looking gentleman. He bowed to them all.

"My name is Manzaneus and I am the Regent of Arkarna. On behalf of Arkarna and the King of Athens, welcome to our city. You honor us with your presence." He bowed again.

Sappho nodded, transforming into the regal and artistic poet she was rumored to be, instead of the wild bohemian she actually was.

"Thank you." She answered, mimicking his own haunty attitude. This earned a snicker from her chorus and a scoff from Xena at the sudden change in her demeanor.

Sappho arched an eyebrow and gave them all a quick, sideways glance.

The Regent continued, "As you can see, it appears as though the entire region has made a pilgrimage to our city to hear you sing. We’ve never seen anything like it."

"Of course not." Sappho stated complacently.

"And we never want to see anything like it again."

Sappho’s regal expression fell from her face.

"Just what do you mean by that?" Gabrielle butted in.

"Please, do not be insulted, but we have been besieged for three days. Our poor city cannot take anymore. Our mead stock is nearly depleted. Our food supply has been exhausted. We have been without sleep for days!"

"But your coffers are full." Xena stated flatly.

The Regent balked, seeming to notice the Warrior Princess for the first time.

"Yes, well. We thank you for that. What I came to ask is.....if it’s at all possible.....we would like you to perform as soon as possible....hopefully now. Immediately. This way, maybe all these people will go back where they came from." He waved at the masses beyond the balcony, "I don’t think we can take much more."

Sappho chuckled and looked back at her performers. They stood on the balcony in a line grinning and nodding. The poet glanced one more time over their shoulders at the wild affair and sighed wistfully. She would prefer that the party continue for days, and relished the thought of being in the center of the whirlpool. Her gaze fell upon the Warrior Princess who appeared to be reading the poet’s mind. Those penetrating blue eyes warned her that she better do exactly as the Regent wished. She made a compromise.

"I’ll sing at sunset." She stated.

Xena knotted her eyebrows.

"I always sing at sunset." Sappho explained to Xena and turned back to face the Regent, "The show always starts at sunset."

"That will do." The Regent nodded, "Enjoy the hospitality of this tavern until then. I would, however, recommend that you all stay in here."

Sappho was about to say something, when Xena stepped forward.

"We will ALL stay here until the show." The warrior did not even glance at the poet. "Just one question. How will we get from here to the stage?"

The Regent nodded, "Don’t worry. You’ll have an armed escort, all the way there and back. We are prepared, as you can see."

"I need to speak with the commander of your guards." The warrior requested.

"I’ll send him over right away."

Xena seemed satisfied. The Regent nodded again and left. The warrior turned, towering over the poet.

"And all of us WILL stay here until the show! Won’t we?"

Sappho shuffled from foot to foot. She had planned to take a little stroll around the square. The poet thought a moment and grinned. There was always the night, she promised herself silently.

"Yes, we will all stay put until the show!" Sappho capitulated. She grabbed Gabrielle’s arm and pulled her back over to the balcony. "Come on, Gabrielle! Let’s count Xenas!"

 

 

 

Gabrielle sat on the balcony, just outside of their room with her legs propped up on the rail. They all had separate rooms, but the rooms were joined by the same big balcony. She was enjoying the cool afternoon breeze and, even more, the perfect spot to ‘people watch’. And there were plenty of them to observe. The bard watched as the massive crowd swirled and swayed, a violent vibrant mixture of color and sound that spread out before her from one end of the city square to the other. It was all a single, undefinable mass until she concentrated on one particular spot. Then the details would unfold and she would be a silent witness to whatever story was happening at the moment. A drunk stumbling. Two men arguing. A child lost. Two lovers kissing. A group of people dancing. She wondered what it would be like to be lost in the center of this throng of confusion. Or what it would be like to be the cause of it all; to be Sappho.

She was so engrossed in her musings, she did not hear Xena walk out from the room and onto the verandah.

"Are you hungry?"

Her sultry voice startled the bard, causing her legs jerked involuntarily.

"Xena! Must you always sneak up on me like that!"

"I wasn’t ‘sneaking’. You were too busy counting Xenas."

Gabrielle laughed and took her legs from the railing. Xena sat in a chair next to her and handed her an apple.

"Here. I thought you might be a little hungry."

"Hmm, thanks. I am." The bard grabbed the apple and took a bite.

"Thought so." Xena watched her eat for a moment and then looked at the crowd, "What were you thinking about?"

Gabrielle motioned to the crowd with the apple, "Just look at all these people, Xena. All here to see Sappho. I was wondering how it would feel to be the center of all this attention."

Xena chuckled, "You should know it isn’t always fun to be at the center of attention."

"This is a different kind of attention, I would say. Wouldn’t you?" Gabrielle took another bite of the apple.

Xena raised her eyebrows and acquiesced, "True, but I don’t think Sappho really sees herself as being at the center of it all. It’s more like she likes to jump in, stir the pot, and then jump back to watch it all whirl around."

"Now that’s true!" Gabrielle chuckled, taking another mouthful of apple. "She sure is famous!"

Xena eyed her friend, "Do you want fame, Gabrielle?"

Gabrielle thought for a moment, "Not really, but it’s nice to have your work recognized. Besides, I don’t think I could get up in front of all these people anyway! I’d be too nervous!" She waved the apple core at the crowd again. She went to take another bite, but realized sadly that the apple was finished.

"Oh, I don’t know, I think you would do just fine! In fact,......" Xena grabbed the apple core from the bard’s hand, took aim, and threw it from the balcony. It hit one of the ‘Xenas’ right in the back of the head. Xena sat back with a satisfied grin.

"......you’re going to be up on stage sooner than you think."

Gabrielle was laughing as she watched the imitation ‘Xena’ twirl around angrily looking for the culprit. His wig was splattered with apple and threatening to slip off. It took a moment for Xena’s words to sink in, but when they did, she lost her smile and stood up with her hands on her hips.

"Just what do you mean by that."

"I need you on stage with me. We need to make sure that no one gets near any of them, especially Sappho."

"You mean standing in the back of the stage."

"Nope."

"Standing at the side of the stage?"

"Nope. I mean standing right in front, with your staff."

Gabrielle gulped at the thought. The imitation ‘Xena’ happened to look up at that moment to see the bard standing on the balcony. He assumed she threw the apple and started to yell. Gabrielle heard the shouts and looked down. He appeared to be very angry and was moving towards the tavern, pointing at the bard and shouting incoherent threats.

Xena watched his belligerence for a moment and then slowly stood up next to Gabrielle to reveal her presence on the balcony. She glared down at the angry impersonator, locking her eyes with his. Even from the distance, the impostor came to the frightening realization that he was staring directly into the eyes of the real Warrior Princess. The man stopped in his tracks and smiled nervously. Gabrielle could see him mouth the words ‘Nice throw!’ and back away.

"How do you do that?" Gabrielle exclaimed.

"Do what?"

"How can you be intimidating, even from a balcony?"

"I don’t know. It must be the light."

Gabrielle looked at the setting sun.

"Right."

"Come on!" The warrior said with a smile, putting an arm around her friend’s shoulder, "It’s time to go."

As they turned away, Gabrielle glanced over her shoulder. The now humbled impersonator was poking his friend and pointing to them on the balcony. She smiled and waved, then allowed Xena to lead her into their room. Gabrielle put her arm around the warrior’s waist as they walked inside.

"Too bad she didn’t throw me over her shoulder." The bard thought with a mischievous grin.

 

 

 

 

They stood in a line at the front door to the tavern waiting for the Commander of the Guard to return and lead them to the stage. Somehow, the main dining room had filled with people other than the performers. Gabrielle surmised they were lucky relatives and friends of the tavern owner, here to mingle backstage with the performers. The on-lookers waited politely out of the way whispering excitedly to one another. A hush came over the room when Xena came down the stairs, entering the dinning room with Sappho in tow. The warrior moved to the front of the line, next to Gabrielle. The bard shifted the staff in her hand nervously.

"Nervous?" Xena asked with a warm smile.

"A little." The bard confessed.

"Just make sure Sappho stays between you and me until we get to the stage. Then take the position we talked about. OK?"

Gabrielle nodded. Xena squeezed her shoulder.

After acknowledging the tavern owner and saying a few polite words to some of his family and friends, Sappho walked to her performers and stood before them. Starting at the end of the line with Alecto, the drummer, she bowed down to one knee and took his hand, kissing the back of his palm. The poet did this to each member in turn, bowing solemnly, without the humorous glint normally present in her eyes.

"Thank you for honoring me." The poet said to them all. She turned to Cleo and Laci who were standing over to one side. Sappho walked to them and kissed them both, once on each of their cheeks.

"Thank you." The poet said to both of them with a smile. She added a kiss to Laci’s nose, and the girl blushed.

Sappho erased the seriousness from her face, replacing it with her warm, infectious smile, "Gather your instruments then, my Muses, and come sing with me!"

Laci handed the poet her lyre and with one last smile, Sappho moved to the front of the line and stood between Xena and Gabrielle. At that moment, the commander walked in the tavern door and nodded to Xena.

The warrior looked down at Sappho, "Ready?"

"Always."

Xena nodded back at the commander. The soldier opened the tavern door completely and motioned for Xena to lead them out into the square.

The city’s soldiers formed two long lines blocking off a path that led from the tavern all the way to the stage. Although the pathway was clear at the moment, the soldiers were having a hard time keeping the crowds at bay. Xena stepped out into the fading sunlight, pausing a moment to assess their safety and, deeming it adequate for the time being, led them forward down the path. The screaming began the moment the crowd saw them leave the tavern and begin their cavalcade towards the stage.

The throng swelled against the arms of the soldiers, straining in towards the performers as they walked by. Xena led them down the narrow lane, passing row upon row of outstretched hands, her senses on full alert for any sign of trouble. Gabrielle herded Sappho along, keeping her close behind Xena. The rest of the troupe followed in a neat line, each carrying their various instruments.

Gabrielle could feel a wall of eyes upon her and actually had to duck her shoulder away from an outstretched hand as it threatened to grab at her top. She shifted her staff so that she now held it in both hands. The crowd continued to press against the guards. The pathway began to narrow, the throng threatening to engulf them.

The closer they got to the stage, the louder the screaming became. Finally they were there. Xena mounted the stairs and walked onto the platform. Her entrance caused a huge swell of shouts as the audience recognized the warrior and realized the show was about to begin. Sappho followed her, and the screams became deafening.

Xena paced across the front of the stage, making sure the city guards and the amazons she had placed there earlier were keeping the crowd back. So far, there were no problems. She nodded to Gabrielle and they took their positions on either side of the stage. Sappho and her performers did not do the grand entrance the bard had seen in Avlon. They solemnly walked onto the stage, took their positions, and waited for Sappho’s signal.

Gabrielle stood at attention in the corner at ‘stage left’, gazing out at a virtual sea of people. She had no idea how all of them were going to be able to hear the poet and silently hoped that this evening the wind was blowing in the right direction to carry her voice. She felt a lock of hair lift from her head and point out towards the audience. The wind was blowing just right. She should have known.

Sappho kept her back to the audience and shifted her lyre into position. She looked to her left. The drummers and instrumentalists were in place. She looked to her right. The chorus was settled into three rows as planned. She beamed her Sapphic smile. The drummers raised their mallets.

"Let the show begin!" Sappho said to her troupe.

At the sound of the first drum beats, the audience began to sway back and forth. Gabrielle could not believe the reaction to the music. It was the same opening number used in Avlon and the crowd knew it well. The bard could hear the audience begin to sing the first verse, even though Sappho herself had not yet started.

The famous poet turned to the crowd and bowed. Directing them with her free arm, she allowed them to sing the first verse and joined in for the second. As soon the audience heard her voice, it sounded as if all Hades had broken loose.

Xena found herself catching a body as it came flying through the air trying to get on-stage. She tossed the culprit into the arms of a waiting guard, who escorted the offender away.

Someone else managed to breach security and scrambled onto the platform. Xena was there instantly. The young man stood up valiantly, thinking he had made it free and clear, only to find himself staring into the chest armor of the Warrior Princess. She spun him around and handed him down to an Amazon.

The first song came to a close, the audience once again helping Sappho to finish the chorus. Applause rang through the square and Gabrielle suddenly found herself being pelted by a shower of thrown flowers. She ducked as they littered the stage.

The next number began; it was faster in tempo and had a very danceable beat. The audience responded, rippling in waves like an ocean as they danced to the rhythm. Sappho was prancing to and fro on the stage, alternating between playing along with her lyre and using her hand to emphasize a phrase in the lyric. Gabrielle could not watch for long. Her attention was brought back to the crowd by a sudden jerk at her feet.

Someone had grabbed onto her legs and was using her as a ladder to climb onto the stage..

"Hey!" The bard yelled, kicking the offending hands away. "You just keep your hands to yourself!" She pointed the end of her staff at the boy and pushed him away. An Amazon grabbed him by the arm and pulled him off. Gabrielle noticed a mass of people beginning to push against the wooden fence and she suddenly became very afraid that the tenuous protection it afforded was not going to last. She looked to Xena to see if she noticed the condition of the fence, only to find the warrior had her hands full.

A woman had somehow managed to get herself on stage and wrap her arms around the warrior’s neck. The young girl seemed determined to get a kiss. Xena was frantically trying to pry the young girl away without hurting her. If it had been a man, she would have simply punched his lights out. As it was, she was having a hard time extricating herself from the embrace.

Gabrielle stomped over, took a big handful of hair, and pulled the girl away from Xena with one forceful tug. The girl screamed, but had to let go of Xena or sacrifice a good sized lock of hair. Gabrielle spun her around and pushed her backwards off the stage with her staff. The girl fell into the waiting arms of two Amazons and was carried off.

"Thanks," Xena mumbled, adjusting her armor.

"You’re welcome." Gabrielle answered, and was promptly hit in the face with a pair of underwear. The bard ripped it off, looked at it once with disgust, and threw it back to the audience. The crowd screamed and fought over the garment as it landed.

"These people are crazy!" Gabrielle yelled.

"Watch out!" Xena said, and they both ducked, avoiding yet another undergarment. It landed at Sappho’s feet.

The poet smiled, picked it up and threw it back out to the crowd. It was ripped in two as frantic hands grabbed for it.

The drums began to beat an intoxicating rhythm, not unlike what was used during Amazon celebrations. Gabrielle returned to her place at stage left and found her foot keeping time to the music. The audience was dancing wildly, and the crowd directly in front of the stage began to pitch and spin. The people were crushing each other as they thrashed around. The wooden fence groaned as the swell pushed into it.

A young man stood on the shoulders of a friend and launched himself at the stage. Xena caught him in mid-air and threw him right back, as though she were throwing a fish back into the water. The waiting audience caught him in their arms and held him up in the air, tossing him around.

A young girl thought it looked like fun and so she rocketed to the stage. The warrior caught her and sent her spinning. She disappeared away from the stage, floating along uplifted hands.

Another and then another and then another came at Xena. The warrior sent each one back from whence they came with a grunt. She was getting tired and very annoyed. Finally, she had enough. Xena drew her sword from the sheath on her back and flipped it once (maybe twice, the twirl was so fast it was hard to tell). Her feral smile gave the crowd a clear signal that the next one to jump on stage was going to get cut in half. The attempts stopped instantly.

Finally the throng began to settle down as Sappho shifted the performance to a ballad. The sun had disappeared behind the many rooftops of the city, leaving behind a spattering of brightly illuminated clouds. The audience hushed as Sappho moved to the edge of the stage to sing her song. Xena and Gabrielle backed away to the far corners to give her room.

Strange how so many people could become so still, Gabrielle mused watching the poet’s face as she paused for the crowd to quiet. No, Gabrielle corrected her observation, Sappho was bringing the crowd to silence with her eyes; her steel gray eyes were controlling them all.

With a painted sky as her backdrop and a glimmer of hope in her eye that only Gabrielle could see, the poet began her song:

"Heather from Rona, sea-bent from Vallay

Western cross of stars, western cross of Sollas

Black Mountain of Sollas, Height of Morran....."

"Far from me are Grimminsh,Lirinish, Cairnish

and you, my love."

Gabrielle found her breath catching in her throat and did not move a muscle as the Sappho played a short musical passage on her lyre and then continued:

"Fraoch a Ronaigh, muran a Bhalaigh

Crois iar non cliar, crois iar Sholais

Beinn Dubh Sholais, Aird o’ Bharrain....."

"S ffada bhuam Griminish, Lirinish, Cairnish......

Ach thus a bhnith."

The melody was the same, but the words were now in a different language; one that Gabrielle did not recognize. The bard realized that Sappho must be singing the song in the language of her lost lover, as they used to do on the beach together. It was a very emotional moment and the effect of it was not lost on the bard. She felt her own heart tightening in her chest and looked beyond Sappho, hoping to make eye contact with Xena. What she saw made her heart stop beating altogether. Xena looked like she was going to be ill.

Xena felt as though the stage had dropped out from under her. She instantly recognized the language as Gaelic. Now, the origin of the melody that haunted her dreams since Sappho first sang it hit her like a bolt of lightening. Her nightmare filled her field of vision and she watched helpless as the events unfolded once more before her. She was immobile on the healer’s pallet, unable to respond to the attack about to happen. The warrior twitched as the crossbow was fired and prepared herself for the inevitable pain, only to find the arrow blocked and the shaft sticking out from the back of a body now shielding her own. She slowly lifted the body and stared with absolute horror into the eyes of M’Lila.

The blood drained from Xena’s face as her breathing became erratic. Memories flashed by of M’Lila singing on the bow of her ship; singing out to the sea; singing always at sunset. The song was so beautiful, full of longing, calling out the landmarks to point the way home, definitely the very same song. It was Sappho’s song. The lover Sappho searched for was M’Lila and M’Lila was dead; killed saving Xena. The warrior groaned as she realized she had somehow managed to hurt even Sappho. Would there never be an end to the pain caused by her past? Xena visibly staggered and reached out for support.

Gabrielle wanted desperately to run to Xena, but she did not want to disturb Sappho’s performance. The bard watched helplessly as a series of painful expressions crossed the warrior’s features. As impossible as it seemed, it appeared as though Xena was going to faint. Finally, Sappho finished and the audience erupted into applause. Gabrielle bolted to the opposite side of the stage and grabbed at Xena’s outstretched hand just as she was about to fall.

When Xena’s vision cleared she found herself being supported by a small arm wrapped firmly around her waist. Gabrielle’s beautiful, but concerned green eyes were staring into her own. The warrior regained her composure quickly and, remembering where she was, straightened her back before removing herself from the bard’s support.

"Xena, what’s wrong?"

"I’m all right." Xena said sternly, moving away from her friend.

Luckily, the audience was rapt up in Sappho’s performance and had not seen the warrior falter.

"No, you’re not. What happened?" Gabrielle regarded her with worry, noting that although her face was still pale, her expression had turned to stone. The bard knew that look all too well. Something had really, really upset Xena, and the warrior was not going to discuss it now.

Gabrielle glanced at Sappho. The poet was bowing to the applause, but turned her head to look at them quizzically. Gabrielle leaned on her staff, faked a smile and waved. Xena’s face remained expressionless. Sappho looked away and continued to bow.

"Xena...." Gabrielle urged.

The warrior sighed, knowing that Gabrielle would not leave her side until she gave her some explanation.

"I remembered my dream, Gabrielle." Xena whispered to her friend, keeping an eye on Sappho the entire time, "........and it’s not good."

Gabrielle stared at Xena incredulously. ‘Why would a dream upset her so? And why now?’ the bard thought to herself. Their eyes locked together, Gabrielle’s filled with questions.

"I’ll tell you later." Xena hissed. Suddenly, Gabrielle found herself wishing that this show would come to an quick end.

 

Chapter XIV

 

"Gather your lyre and sing with me

As desire once again enhances your beauty.

Your dress excites, and I rejoice,

For I once doubted Aphrodite

but now I believe that soon you will be with me again."

- Sappho, Fragment #22, circa 625 B.C.

 

"Yes, it was a wonderful show, wasn't it?" Gabrielle was smiling and nodding, trying to be courteous to the very large woman who had cornered her at the bar. When the show was over, they were led directly back to the tavern and joined in the after-show party already in progress.

The woman continued to talk, explaining to the bard that she had a friend, who knew a friend, who was married to a brother of someone or other who had traveled with Sappho for awhile through the villages of the southern peninsular peninsula. Gabrielle hardly heard her. Though she nodded politely, the bard was actually keeping a steadfast eye on Xena.

The concert had gone on for three encores and would have continued had the sun not disappeared completely, turning the day finally into night. Although torches were lit and Sappho was more than willing, it was finally too dark to continue, and so the performers took their last bows and left the stage to the sound of thundering applause.

Xena led them down the same barricaded path back towards the tavern. It seemed to Gabrielle that every person in the entire city square was pressing up against the soldiers, threatening to engulf them as they made their way past hundreds of outstretched hands. To anyone who didn't know better, Xena appeared to be the epitome of a fierce warrior. Her back was straight and stiff. Her expression was cold and stoic. Anyone who dared to reach out to touch either herself or Sappho, got first hand knowledge of what it might be like to stare into the eyes of death. Xena was definitely living up to her reputation.

Gabrielle, however, knew better. The bard could tell that Xena was very upset. This was the warrior mask Xena put wore only when faced with a life or death situation, or when she was hiding some deep inner pain. Her demeanor told spoke volumes to Gabrielle. The bard couldn't do anything about it right now, but eventually she was going to get the warrior to drop the mask and tell her everything.

For right now, Gabrielle leaned against the bar and tried to pretend that she was interested in what this woman was talking about. Her eyes, however, watched Xena's every move. The warrior was talking with the Commander of the Guard. Gabrielle knew Xena had told him about the attempts on Sappho's life. They were probably discussing security arrangements for the rest of the night. Xena's eyes drifted over to Gabrielle's. The warrior flashed a quick 'stop watching me' look at her friend and then glanced away.

Gabrielle's eyes wandered over to Sappho. Happily, the poet motioned for Gabrielle to join her.

"I'm so sorry," Gabrielle interrupted her chatty companion, "but Sappho wants to see me. I have to go. You'll excuse me, won't you?"

"Oh! Of course! When Sappho calls, you must go!" The woman actually seemed pleased. Perhaps she was proud to be talking to someone who was being called over by Sappho. Perhaps she was tired of talking to Gabrielle. Whatever the reason, Gabrielle was just happy to get away. She escaped the bar and almost ran to the poet.

"Whew! Thanks!" Gabrielle said. Gabrielle glanced back and noticed the woman was watching them, hoping that Gabrielle would call her over so she could be introduced. The bard turned her back on the woman and covered her mouth discreetly.

"Pretend you have something really important to tell me so she doesn't come over." The bard whispered.

"Oh, but I do!" Sappho whispered back. She put her arm around Gabrielle's shoulders and led her a safe distance away.

Gabrielle was surprised. "You do?"

"Look. We got a special invitation to a party being held at one of the exclusive clubs of this city. I've talked to everyone and we all want to go. You'll come with us, won't you?"

Sappho handed the fancy invitation to Gabrielle. She looked it over, very impressed with the quality of the parchment.

"I'd love to!"

"Great! We'll leave in an hour or so. Make sure you tell Xena. She's invited too, of course. And I won't take 'no' for an answer." Sappho emphasized with a finger pointed at Gabrielle's nose. "Besides, I think the invitation was as much for her as it was for me."

"I don't think it will be a problem," Gabrielle answered, "Xena is not going to let you go anywhere without her."

"Or you, I imagine."

Gabrielle chuckled, looked around for Xena, couldn't find her at all and lost her smile, "Let me go find her and let her know the plan." The bard walked off abruptly, leaving Sappho convinced that something was definitely wrong and she was damn well going to find out about it.

Gabrielle wandered all around the main dining room, but could not find Xena anywhere. Finally, she decided to look upstairs. She walked up the dark staircase and breathed a sigh of relief, fully appreciating the silence. 'If I was Xena, I'd go to our room for some peace and quiet,' the bard surmised.

The poet put down her drink and followed the bard up the stairs, keeping a safe distance. She waited at the top of the stairwell until Gabrielle disappeared into the room. Pausing for a few heartbeats, Sappho tiptoed to the door and listened. She could hear Gabrielle's steps take her out to the balcony and, listening harder, waited until she could hear the sound of their voices. The poet inched opened the door and slipped inside.

Gabrielle walked into the room and saw the dark silhouette of the Warrior Princess sitting alone on the balcony outside. The bard stepped onto the verandah and sat down silently next to her friend. Xena looked over to her with a sad smile.

"I've been gone for almost two minutes. What took you so long?"

"Really Xena, you almost collapse on stage and you expect me not to be worried about you? If it had been me, you would have carried me up here to find out what was wrong. As it is, you're too big for me to carry, so I waited until you came up here of your own volition."

Xena remained silent.

Gabrielle inched a little closer and leaned forward.

"Tell me what's wrong."

Xena shifted uncomfortably in her seat and looked over her shoulder.

"Where's Sappho?"

Back in the room, Sappho pressed up against the wall next to the balcony door, out of sight.

"Never mind about Sappho. Sappho's fine. It's you I'm worried about. Tell me what's wrong."

Gabrielle reached out and gently touched her friend's knee.

"I know what happened to Sappho's lover, Gabrielle." Xena stated flatly, looking out into the night.

Hearing those words, Sappho inched closer to the verandah door and strained to listen.

"This has something to do with that song and your dream, doesn't it?" Gabrielle asked.

"Yes," Xena answered and turned to the bard, "I remembered where I heard that song before. I didn't recognize it at first because she was singing it in our language. But tonight, she sang it in the language of Gaul and I recognized it immediately. I remembered everything. The person in my dream, the one who took the arrow meant for me, was not you Gabrielle."

"Well, obviously. Who was it?"

"Her name was M'Lila, and it wasn't a dream. It actually happened ... a long time ago."

Leaning against the wall, hidden by the shadows of the room, Sappho closed her eyes in pain.

'I knew it,' the poet whispered to herself and shuddered.

"Once again, I've managed to hurt someone who is totally innocent." Xena groaned aloud.

"Xena, why don't you just tell me who M'Lila was and what happened?" Gabrielle suggested, not wanting to discuss the warrior's guilt, or lack thereof, until she heard the story.

Xena turned in her chair.

"And I've managed to hurt you as well, Gabrielle."

"How so?"

"I should have told you this a long time ago. This is not something I should have kept from you. It has everything to do with why.....I died. Why I gave up. I never told you. Never explained. I should have. You deserve to know the story, with everything that you went through for me... ," Xena eyes drifted down to her hands.

Gabrielle sat back in her chair and stared at her friend thoughtfully. Never had Gabrielle felt more grief and despair in her entire life as when Xena had died. In her mind, Xena had just left her. A part of the bard never understood nor forgave Xena for that. When Xena miraculously returned, Gabrielle thanked the gods that she had her back and put all misgivings aside. As close as she was to Xena, though, there was still one question left behind as a barrier between them: why?

"Why don't you tell me now? We have plenty of time, and I need to know." Gabrielle whispered.

Xena nodded in understanding, looking in Gabrielle's eyes and finding forgiveness there, even though she hadn't as yet told her a thing.

Sappho opened her eyes and took a deep breath, preparing herself to hear the story of her lover's death.

"About ten winters ago, not long after Cortese attacked my village, I began to build my first army. I didn't call it an army at the time, but that's what it was. I convinced neighboring villages to join with me and it wasn't long before I had a sizable force following me through Thrace."

"You've told me this already."

"Yes, well, what I didn't tell you was that I slowly increased the buffer around Amphipolis until my control extended far beyond what I probably needed to protect my village. I was also amassing quite a bit of wealth in the process and enjoying every minute of it."

Xena glanced briefly at the bard and then lowered her eyes.

"The truth is, it had nothing to do with wealth. It was the power I loved. Every victory gave me a sense of power and I began to crave it more and more. Soon, it wasn't recruiting. I was conquering and giving ultimatums: join me now or pay a terrible price."

"It was about this time that my men and I stole a pirate ship - right out from under the noses of the pirates. It was a great victory. My men were ecstatic! We took to the seas and raided along the coast. It was a great time for me and my men. We were successful wherever we went. I began to feel......invincible."

Xena paused for a moment, relishing the memories; perhaps recalling the ocean air and the sense of freedom. The small smile quickly faded, as the memories turned against her.

"We had just defeated a small village, but it was a glorious victory. We managed to collect a sizable tithe and capture a Roman nobleman. One of my lieutenants, Talus, almost killed him, until I reminded him of what a valuable commodity he was as a hostage. If I had let Talus kill that nobleman, I wonder how different my life would be now?"

Xena seemed to drift off and ponder this a moment. Gabrielle kept silent and waited. Hidden in the room, Sappho tried to keep her breathing quiet.

"The nobleman was a man of great wealth and position. It was obvious in his dress. But there was something more. He had a confidence and arrogance that I admired immediately, and when he spoke, he talked of destiny and greatness. I thought he was definitely 'general' material, but he believed he was more than that. He believed that he was destined to rule the world. And Gabrielle, I believed him. I believed that one day he would indeed rule the world. And you know what? I wanted to rule the world right beside him. I realized that I was growing tired of sailing the seas and conquering small, insignificant villages. What I really wanted, Gabrielle, was to rule the world. And I was going to use him to do it!"

"What was his name?" Gabrielle asked.

"His name was Julius Caesar."

Gabrielle's eyes opened wide, recognizing the name, but made no comment. Xena continued.

"While I planned my seduction of Caesar, we took out to sea. The first day out, I noticed a stowaway hidden in an empty mead barrel. I leveled my sword at the barrel and warned him to come out. When he did, he took me and everyone else by surprise. Gabrielle, I had never seen fighting the likes of it before. The stowaway took me out with two quick pokes to my leg. I collapsed like a sack of wheat. Talus tried to attack him next. He took him down with two fast thrusts to the neck. Then the stowaway proceeded to take out most of my men. He literally flew around like a harpy on fire and took down anyone who came near. I finally subdued him myself by cutting the mainsail and letting it collapse on top of him."

"When we pulled the sail away and uncovered the stowaway's face I discovered, to my extreme surprise, that 'he' was a 'she'. And a very small, petite, pretty 'she' at that. This little thing had easily beaten me and some of my best men!"

"Sounds familiar." Gabrielle commented.

"It should." Xena stated, not happily.

"Caesar said she was dangerous, probably a runaway slave from Gaul. He could speak her language. He said, quite matter-of-factly, that one day he planned to conquer all of Gaul. I believed him."

"Caesar warned me I should kill her, but I was too curious about the pressure points she had used on my leg. I told her I would let her live if she would teach me how she did what she did. She agreed and released my leg, but could do nothing for Talus, he was already dead."

"Dead in thirty seconds...." Gabrielle whispered to herself, "So, that's where you learned...." Xena nodded in confirmation.

"So we sailed on across the sea. I learned pressure points and fighting technique from my runaway slave. Her name was M'Lila, but I didn't learn that until later. In the meantime, I set about the task of enticing Julius Ceasar."

"I seduced him and we became lovers. In the meantime, I sent a ransom note to the nearest Roman outpost demanding one hundred thousand dinars for his return, at his suggestion mind you. While we waited for a response from the Romans, I wove what I thought was a very beguiling snare to capture Caesar's heart. Somewhere along the line, I actually began to have feelings for him and I thought he had the same feelings for me. It was just as well. We were going to rule the world together, so we might as well be in love, right?"

"Well, the ransom was paid. I never did get all of it, but it wasn't the money I was after. I released Caesar to a Roman delegation and we went our separate ways. Oh, how I looked forward to the day when we would meet again. I felt he and I were destined for greatness.....together."

"And so I sailed on and continued my little raids. My runaway slave became my teacher and I watched the seas, waiting for Caesar. It was a very peaceful and happy time for me. I waited for my destiny...and Caesar. It was the quiet right before the storm."

Xena took a deep, ragged breath and looked at Gabrielle, "M'Lila used to sing every evening on the bow of the ship. She would sing out to the sea and I would stop whatever I was doing to listen. Can you guess what song she would sing every night at sunset?"

Gabrielle eyes dropped to the floor and she was getting this bad feeling in the pit of her stomach, "Don't tell me, Xena. Sappho's song, right?"

Xena nodded her head and massaged her forehead with a shaky hand. Inside the room, a tear single tear fell from Sappho's eye.

"What happened, Xena?"

"Caesar came back. One evening, M'Lila was singing, the lookout called out a warning and we could see the Roman ship approaching. I was overjoyed. M'Lila tried to warn me that I could be in danger, but I wouldn't listen. Even though we didn't speak the same language, I knew what she was trying to tell me. She was warning me that Caesar was going to betray me. I ignored her. My seduction had been complete, hadn't it? He loved me as I loved him."

"When he came on board, I found out just how complete my seduction had been all right. He greeted me with a knife to my throat and his army boarded my ship before we could even react. It was over in minutes. He killed most of my men. The few of us he didn't kill, he ordered to be captured and bound in chains."

"These were men and boys from my own village and others, Gabrielle. Boys who followed me willingly into battle. They trusted me! And I betrayed that trust with my own selfish desire for power. I couldn't believe I had been so easily deceived! I was so ashamed!"

Xena's head dropped down and she started to breathe hard.

"What did he do to you?"

"We were crucified on the beach in the morning. Whoever was left alive, was crucified."

Gabrielle gasped at this. Back in the room, so did Sappho. The sound caused Xena's head to twirl.

"What was that?"

"What was what?" Gabrielle asked, hearing nothing.

'Damn her ears!' Sappho cursed and slid away from the wall. Looking frantically around the room, she opted to hide under the bed and slipped out of view just as Xena entered the room.

"I heard something in here!" Xena growled peering around in the darkness. Under the bed, Sappho held her breath.

"I didn't hear anything." Gabrielle commented walking in behind the warrior and looking around.

Xena waited a few moments, listening carefully with her keen warrior senses.

"There's no one here, Xena." Gabrielle insisted.

The warrior looked around carefully one more time. Hearing nothing, she walked to the bed and sat on the mattress. Sappho scurried further under the bed, trying to avoid being stepped on by Xena's boots. The mattress bounced again as Gabrielle sat down next.

"He crucified you, Xena?" Gabrielle prompted, wanting Xena to continue with the story.

Xena nodded, looking up at her friend. "We were crucified, lined up along the beach and left for the vultures to pick. He even broke my legs to ensure that I could not escape."

Gabrielle covered her mouth with her hand at the horror of the image.

"Gabrielle, as I hung from the cross, believe me when I tell you that I wished for nothing less than death. When I looked down the beach and saw my men, mere boys, hanging from their crosses, I prayed that Zeus would send a lightning bolt down from Mount Olympus and burn me to a cider. There was to be no such relief for me."

"My pain and suffering was far from over. Later that night, M'Lila snuck into camp. She had escaped from the ship before Caesar had even boarded. She quickly made mince meat of the few Romans that were left behind to guard us and cut me down from the cross. She took me to Mount Nestos, Gabrielle. She took me to Nicklio."

"So, that's how Nicklio knew you?" The bard stated.

"Yes, Gabrielle. M'Lila took me to Nicklio, the Healer and he set my legs and healed my wounds. I don't know how many days I lay on the pallet, but one day I was able to raise my head up and talk. I asked M'Lila why she saved me. Nicklio could speak her language. I, of course, had never bothered to learn. He told me she said that it was not my time to die. She was so kind to me Gabrielle. To this day, I really don't understand why."

"Maybe she saw something in you. Something good." Gabrielle offered.

"Well, if she saw something good in me, it wasn't in there for long. You're not going to like what happens next, Gabrielle."

Xena's eyes became cold and hard, almost as though she had to put on her warrior mask just to be able to tell the next part of the story. Sappho shivered as she lay concealed under the bed, dreading the end of the story.

"Caesar must have learned of my rescue. He sent out a patrol to hunt me down. They tracked me to Nicklio's hut on Mount Nestos and one night, not long after dinner, they broke into the hut without warning and attacked."

"I can see it as clearly as if it happened yesterday. M'Lila had asked me if I hated Caesar. I thought I would answer 'yes', but I realized that I hated myself more than I hated that Roman. I couldn't blame what happened on Caesar, only on myself. I was just about to tell her so, when the door burst open and Caesar's men attacked!"

"Nicklio was knocked out immediately. I could hardly move and I tried to sit up .....I tried to sit up and fight as best as I could, Gabrielle, but I could hardly move.....and they broke in so quickly...and I tried to get out of the way.. and then the crossbow was pointed at me....."

Xena was unable to continue and her breathing was becoming erratic. Gabrielle had to grab her hands and calm her down. Hiding under the bed, Sappho's heart was breaking. She almost wanted to cover her ears so she wouldn't have to hear anymore. The poet willed herself to listen.

"She didn't have to do it. I wanted to die. I should have died on the cross. I should have died there. But, she jumped in front of me. She jumped in front of me, Gabrielle, and she took the arrow that was meant for me. She saved me again. Again! Why did she do that? Why?"

"Sshhh, Xena. It's all right. It happened a long time ago."

Suddenly, Xena became very still and she stared at Gabrielle with a gaze so fierce, the bard felt she was looking into the eyes of the warlord again.

"Something snapped inside of me, Gabrielle. When I looked down and saw her in my arms, with my arrow in her back, something snapped. A rage swept over me like an uncontrollable wave. I killed them all, then. Even in my weakened state, with splints on my legs and wounds everywhere. I killed them using everything that M'Lila had ever taught me. I left no one alive that night, and as I killed the last one, I made a vow to Hades."

"I vowed to rule the world in a reign of death. I spent the next ten winters feeling nothing but that undiluted rage within my heart and my goal was to drown the world in an ocean of blood. And as you know, I almost succeeded."

Xena covered her hands with her face, spent by the emotion it took to tell her story. Gabrielle sat back in her chair and waited for the hardness to pass away from Xena's eyes. Eventually, the warrior's eyes softened, but not completely.

"So you think that M'Lila was Sappho's lover? The woman she's been searching for?" Gabrielle asked in a whisper.

"I'm sure of it. I believe she stowed away on my ship hoping I was sailing to the islands. She was probably trying to make her way back to Lesbos. I was sailing in the general vicinity."

Under the bed, Sappho was wiping falling tears from her eyes and trying very hard not to sob.

Suddenly, Gabrielle jumped up from the bed. The bouncing mattress surprised the poet and she became very still.

"This is why you had me take you back to Mount Nestos, when you were wounded. You wanted to go back there, not so you could be saved, but so you could die. Die, like you were supposed to in the first place."

When Xena looked up at her friend, her cold eyes were filled with the pain of truth.

"Did you think that would change what happened? Did you think that by dying you could undo whatever had been done?"

Xena had no answer, but in her feverish state, that had been exactly why she had Gabrielle take her to Nicklio when she was mortally wounded not so long ago. She wanted to die then. She should have died before.

"What about me! Did you just want to undo everything we've been through too?"

"Of course not!"

"Well, then why? Don't you realize that if you could undo the past, everything we are right now would never be? If you changed anything at all, you would never be here with me? Maybe it was your destiny to go through all that so you could be right where you are.....with me!"

Gabrielle moved closer to Xena, "Don't you ever do that again! You can't change the past, Xena! You can't keep blaming yourself for what has already happened. There were some things that you had no control over!"

Now Xena stood up in anger forcing Gabrielle to take a step back.

"Oh, I had control all right. They were my choices. Everywhere I go, I'm faced with the consequences of the choices I made in my past. Is there no one I have not hurt! Is there no one in this whole world who has not suffered in some way by my hand!"

The warrior was yelling in a way that Gabrielle had never heard before. The bard grabbed her friend's hands.

"You've changed, Xena. There was a reason why you were once that warlord. Instead of blaming yourself for it, use it to make you strong so you can fight for the greater good."

"Remember, you're the one who taught me about the greater good," Gabrielle chided her friend, "It's the code you live by now. It's the code we both live by."

Xena pulled Gabrielle into a tight hug. Gabrielle hugged her back, ignoring the cold armor pressed against her cheek.

"Gabrielle, I'm so sorry I gave up. Please forgive me. It was your thoughts I heard that made me want to come back. You gave me strength, just like you're giving me strength now.

"I forgive you," the bard answered, smiling into Xena's armor, "But don't ever do it again!"

"I promise." Xena whispered, smiling down at the top of Gabrielle's head. The bard held on for as long as it would last, knowing that Xena would not keep the intimate contact for long. As predicted, the warrior released her friend from the bear hug and cleared her throat.

"You have to tell her." Gabrielle advised, stepping away from the embrace.

Sappho knew that Gabrielle was talking about her.

"I know." Xena agreed softly.

"If you're sure it's M'Lila, then you have to tell her yourself. I can't do it for you."

"I know."

"Don't wait. Tell her as soon as possible. The sooner she gets on with her life, the better off she'll be."

Xena nodded.

"Do you feel better now?"

"I always feel better after I talk to you."

"Well, that's what ya hired me for!"

"You don't charge enough for your services." Xena countered, finally smiling.

"I'll have to think about that. In the meantime, I forgot to tell you that we've been invited to a party."

"What? Oh, no!" Xena groaned.

"Sappho said she's going. Everyone's going. Including you and me, and she won't take 'no' for an answer. Her words. We better get downstairs. They're probably looking for us now."

Xena pulled Gabrielle through the room by the arm.

"Listen, Gabrielle. I want you to go to this party. I'm going to stay behind. I want to search the rooms and the wagons in the stable. See what I can find. I still have an assassin to catch, remember?"

"Xena, I want you to come to the party with us."

"I will. I'll just join you later. Make sure one of the guards knows where you're going. All right?"

Gabrielle was not at all happy with this plan, but she reluctantly agreed.

"OK. I guess I don't have much choice in the matter. Just make sure you show up at that party as soon as you're done! I really don't want anything to happen to Sappho tonight."

"Don't worry, I've already talked to the commander. He knows everything. You'll have an escort, I'm sure. I've got to find something that will give me a clue as to who the assassin might be. With everyone gone, this is my best chance to do it! Agreed?"

"If I didn't, would it matter?"

Xena grinned, "A little, but not really."

"I thought so." The bard grabbed her staff and head towards the door. "Let's go."

Sappho waited until she heard their footsteps take them down the stairs. Then she slid out from under the bed and stood, wiping the dust and dirt from her toga.

The poet wiped her nose. There were no more tears, but her heart was heavy. She was sad, not so much for herself or M'Lila, for she had known all along her lover could be beside her once again in spirit only. She felt sorrow for someone who was living a life burdened with guilt and pain. That was no way to live and there was only one answer.

 

Chapter XV

 

"If rage spreads through the heart,

watch out for the tongue

that chatters inanely...."

- Sappho circa 625 B.C.

Xena searched all of the rooms. When she was done searching the rooms, she searched the tavern dining room. When she was done searching the dining room, she walked to the Regent's stables to search the wagons. Of course, while at the stables, the warrior took a moment to check on Argo. Her war-horse was well groomed and happy to see her. She spent some time brushing the mare's mane and then left the stables.

Her searching produced no results. She found no incriminating evidence. What baggage she did find contained ordinary items of clothing and various souvenirs from different cities, but nothing to point at one particular person as being the assassin. If she was going to catch her (or him), it would have to be in the act. That thought did not sit well with the warrior. Perhaps it was time to set a trap.

Xena walked slowly back to the tavern and encountered a guard at the door. He told her the location of the 'party' she was to attend. It was time for her to make an appearance. Much as she dreaded doing so, she had promised Gabrielle she would be there. Xena made her way through the city following the guard's directions.

There were still many people roaming the streets, filling the taverns and continuing the celebration. Xena was surprised that no one bothered the ex-warlord as she walked through the center of the city. She laughed to herself, thinking she was probably just one of dozens of 'Xenas' to cross the city square that night. Being the object of impersonation had its advantages after all.

She spotted the large building with the sign of the tavern as described by the guard. The inn was called, "The Queen's Parade," and it appeared to be a very large and impressive establishment. Arkarna obviously reaped the benefits of being so close to Athens, and this inn was now reaping the benefits of Sappho's concert. There was a long, long line waiting to get in the door. Xena walked directly to the front of the line.

"May I help you?" An over-dressed, heavily made-up man was controlling the entrance to the tavern. He eyed the Warrior Princess with an air of disdain.

"I'm with Sappho." Xena stated flatly to the doorman.

"Girlfriend, everyone says they're with Sappho." The man looked the warrior up and down, "But don't tell me, you're Xena the Warrior Princess...right?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I am. And I'm not your 'girlfriend'."

"My, my. Testy, aren't we? You really don't look much like the Warrior Princess, you know. Where did you get that dirty old outfit? I'd return it and get my dinars back if I were you!"

Xena closed her eyes for a second and pictured Gabrielle urging her to take deep breaths and stay calm.

"My outfit suits me just fine. Listen, I'm here by invitation. Are you going to let me in?" She tried to keep her voice as even as possible, but her tone lowered to its throaty, dangerous level.

"Invitation? Ha! That's what they all say. If you have an invitation, why don't you just show it to me?"

Gabrielle's soothing image shattered into pieces as Xena lost her patience completely. She grabbed the doorman by the front of his jacket and lifted him up from his stool.

"You want to see my invitation?" She hissed through clenched teeth.

The doorman squealed in alarm as a knife suddenly popped out of her breast armor seemingly of its own accord. It flew up in front of his nose and he watched as Xena snatched it expertly out of the air. She flipped the dagger in her fingers and laid the point against his rouged cheek. The doorman man stood stock still, eyes bulging down at the dagger.

"How's this for an invitation? Now do I get in?"

The doorman nodded vigorously. Xena removed the blade from his cheek and roughly pushed him back down to his seat. She replaced the dagger in her breast armor with a smirk and strolled calmly into the tavern.

The next man in line put his hand on the doorman's shoulder.

"I do believe that was the real Warrior Princess, wasn't it?"

The doorman shrugged, "It's so hard to tell these days!"

Xena walked into the main dining room. It was much larger than the one they were staying in and very elegantly decorated. The ambiance was dark and there was a dance floor at the back of the room surrounded by tables. Every seat was taken. The inn was full. The room was packed. There was standing room only for the night's performance. Xena scanned the area briefly looking for Gabrielle. She found several.

There were Xenas everywhere. There were Sapphos everywhere. There were even Gabrielles and a few Hercules. No Iaoluses though. She would have to make fun of him for that. One particular costume caught her eye. Were there even Salmoneouses? No, there couldn't be. There was only one Salmoneous in the room, so it had to be the real thing. She walked up behind the entrepreneur and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Xena!" He exclaimed as he whirled around, "You are Xena, aren't you?" He eyed her a little more closely, "Of course you are. Hard to tell these days, there are so many of you. But I can always tell the real goods from the fake!" Salmoneus said this with his eyes directly on her chest. "Yup, you're the one...and only I might add!"

"Salmoneous!" Xena smiled, putting her arm around his shoulder and moving him away from several other Xenas who were now inspecting her closely, "I might've known you'd be here."

"Wouldn't miss this for the world! I knew you'd be here, too! I heard you were traveling with Sappho! I've been doing a great trade in Sappho scrolls. As I matter of fact, I have the perfect one for you! Reminded me of Gabrielle the minute I read it! Let me get it for you! I'll let you have it at a special discount....don't tell anyone though. Five dinars, for you and no one else...and only because it reminded so much of Gabrielle."

Xena rolled her eyes and slapped his back. "Thanks, Salmoneous, but no thanks. Have you seen Gabrielle?"

"It's the best price in town."

"I'm sure its not. Have you seen Gabrielle?"

"They're one of a kind."

"They're a dinar a dozen."

"How do you know."

"Already got one."

"Oh. Well, maybe you can use two. Then she can have one and you can....."

"Salmoneous, why would I want another cheap imitation of a Sappho scroll from you for five dinars when I could get one from the real Sappho for free?"

"Good point! How about a Sappho coin, genuine solid gold plated and minted in Athens!"

"In Athens?"

"Well, close to Athens."

Xena raised an eyebrow.

"All right, minted in Arcadia, but just as good as the ones from Athens!"

"No thanks, Salmoneous. But there is something you can do for me!"

"Name it."

"Tell me: have you seen Gabrielle?" The warrior motioned with her hands around the packed room.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. Saw her over by the dance floor not too long ago. At least, I think it was her. I've seen a couple of Gabrielles around here, come to think of it. I've done a good bit of business selling Xena outfits, but I didn't anticipate the demand for 'Gabrielles'. Hmmm, I better get on that!"

"You do that." Xena laughed, patting her old friend on the shoulder.

"I could sell Xena and Gabrielle outfits in a set! Make a great gift pack!"

Xena laughed, "Thanks, Salmoneous! Talk to ya later."

"How 'bout a drink later? Your treat!"

Xena smiled and dismissed herself with a wave. No doubt she would see him later. She worked her way through the packed room and looked for the bard.

She made her way by two Sapphos and almost tapped the shoulder of one, until she heard him speaking in a deep baritone. The warrior began to notice an overabundance of men dressed as some type of famous woman in this bar and several women dressed as famous men. There were several Aphrodites, with large, expansive white wigs and long ,sweeping gowns. One of the Aphrodites could have passed for the Goddess herself, if it were not for the chest hairs.

Aphrodite with the chest hairs was talking to an excellent copy of Gabrielle. The surprisingly accurate rendition of the bard had its back turned to Xena, but the warrior eyed the golden red locks with much appreciation just the same. Her eyes traveled slowly down the full length of the body, pausing to savor the bare midriff which personally was Xena's favorite feature.

The warrior walked silently up behind the bard and couldn't resist giving the bare midriff a friendly squeeze.

Gabrielle whirled around as though about to strike the offender, to find her friend smiling broadly down at her.

"Xena!" Gabrielle cried happily!

"Xena?" Aphrodite with the chest hairs almost lost his wig.

"Come on," the bard pulled on Xena's arm, "We're over here."

Gabrielle pulled her over to their tables and they sat.

"Looks like you're having a good time." Xena said, smiling at Gabrielle.

"Well, now that you're here, I am." Gabrielle whispered.

At the sound of Xena's voice, Sappho turned her head.

"Xena! I'm sooo glad you're here!" Sappho slurred.

Xena gave Gabrielle a serious look. The poet was very, very drunk.

"She's had a bit to drink." Gabrielle explained.

"I can see that." Xena stated.

"Xena. Xena. There are Xenas everywhere! But there's nothing like the real thing! Eh, Gabrielle!" Sappho swatted Gabrielle on her arm and raised a mug into the air. "Here's to the one and only Warrior Princess!"

She emptied the mug and slammed it down on the table.

.

"Barmaid! Barmaid! Get a drink for the princess! She's been working hard and is very, very thirsty. And don't forget one for me!"

"Sappho," Xena tapped the poet on the shoulder, "Don't call me princess."

"Ooops!" the poet burped and her fingers jumped to her lips, "Sorry."

Sappho stood up and looked around, "Aren't there any barmaids in this place or is everyone a goddess!!"

An Aphrodite came over to take Sappho's order. "Oohhh! Aphrodite! What a beautiful mustache you have! Is that a goblet under your toga or are you just happy to see me?"

Xena glared at Gabrielle. The bard shrugged, "There's no stopping her."

A full mug of mead was placed in front of Xena. The warrior lifted the mug and drank from it heartily, thinking to herself that it was going to be a long, long night.

Gabrielle leaned happily against Xena and grabbed the warrior's drink as she put it down. The bard lifted it to her lips with a smile.

Xena arched an eyebrow.

"I'm taking it easy, don't worry." Gabrielle took a small sip and handed it back to her. She wrinkled her nose and stuck out her tongue, "Ugh! I still don't like the stuff."

"Good. Then there's more for me." The warrior snatched the mug back.

"Xena, I've never seen anything like this place. Look at all of these people. They're all dressed up like its Bacchae Night! There's going to be a show in a few minutes. I can only imagine what that's going to be like!"

"Has there been any trouble?" Xena said, leaning closer to Gabrielle.

"None at all. Did you find anything?"

"Not a thing." Xena leaned even closer to the bard and put her lips by her ear. "Did you say anything to Sappho?" she whispered, tickling the bard's ear with her warm breath, causing her face to blush.

"Of course not. That's not for me to do, Xena. You know that. Besides, I don't think tonight would be the right time to tell her."

Gabrielle eyes searched her friend's features with a small smile on her lips. She could tell that Xena was more relaxed now and was once again in control of the situation.

"So what's the plan?" Gabrielle asked the warrior.

Xena leaned close to Gabrielle so that only she could hear her words. With the help of a drink or two under her belt and the heady atmosphere of the tavern, Gabrielle became very aware of the warrior's body leaning against her own. She intentionally moved her leg against Xena's, making as much skin contact as possible to take advantage of the situation.

Xena's eyes sparkled as she talked, "I'm was thinking of setting a trap."

"A trap?"

"Yes, a trap." The corners of Xena's mouth curved upwards as she felt the bard's leg touching her own.

"Sounds dangerous." Gabrielle whispered.

"Oh, it is. Very dangerous." Xena's eyes twinkled as they locked with Gabrielle's. The bard's mouth suddenly became very dry.

Gabrielle licked her lips and slowly sneaked her hand out to reach for Xena's drink, "If it's a trap, then what are you going to use for bait?"

Xena waited until her friend's hand had almost reached the mug, before pulling it away and out of her reach. The delicious skin contact was now broken.

"You."

Xena answered with a chuckle and drank the rest of the contents of the mug. She handed Gabrielle the empty goblet with a smile. "Seeing all these Sappho costumes just gave me an idea."

"Dress me up like the poet and get the assassin to try to kill me? Sounds like a great idea." Gabrielle rolled her eyes then looked into the empty mug. She turned it upside down. There was not a drop left.

"Well, I haven't worked out all the details yet."

"Just be sure you let me know when you do." Gabrielle warned, pointing a finger at the warrior. She looked at the empty mug once more. "You're a tease, do you know that!"

Xena stood up from the table and pushed her chair away. Before she left to get another drink, she leaned down to place her lips once more right next to Gabrielle's ear.

"So are you." She whispered and walked away. Gabrielle stared at the warrior's retreating back with an open mouth.

"What were you two talking about?" Sappho asked, sliding over one seat to take Xena's place.

Gabrielle did not answer, but watched Xena as she walked towards the bar. The crowd simply parted to let the warrior pass.

"Gabrielle!" Sappho yelled a little louder. No response.

Gabrielle!" Sappho screamed, poking the bard in the shoulder.

"What?"

"You know you really break my heart!" Sappho stated, pulling her mug over to the bard's table.

"What do you mean?" Gabrielle's attention was drawn from watching Xena to the poet.

"An entire bar full of beautiful women to stare at, and all you do is stare at Xena!" Sappho slurred, pointing the mug at the warrior and spilling its contents.

Gabrielle looked around, then stared at the poet as if she were crazy.

"Sappho, these aren't women. These are all men dressed like women!"

"They are?"

Gabrielle gaped at the poet incredulously. It took the bard a moment to realize Sappho was joking. After it dawned on her, they both broke out into laughter.

"Here!" the poet said, handing Gabrielle her mug, "Have a drink."

Gabrielle took the mug and drank.

"Here's to love!" Sappho whispered.

"To love." Gabrielle answered and drank again.

Sappho took back the mug.

"Besides, they aren't all men. There's a real beauty sitting at the table right next to you. To your left"

Gabrielle went to turn her head.

"Don't look now!" Sappho whispered, pulling on the bard's shoulder. The poet inched her head slowly to the left. The woman at the next table winked at her.

"There, did you see that!"

"No, I didn't. You told me not to look."

"Well, look now."

Gabrielle and Sappho turned their heads together. The woman at the table next to them was talking to a man, who noticed immediately that they were both staring at his companion. Gabrielle and Sappho snapped their heads back in unison.

"Sappho! She's with someone!"

"I know! But she keeps flirting with me!"

"Well, I don't think it's a good idea for you to flirt back. Where's Laci?"

"She's dancing with Calliope."

"Where's Cleo?"

"She's dancing with Erato."

Sappho started to turn her head around again to sneak another look. Gabrielle swatted her arm.

"Eyes! Front and center!"

"But she has such big......" Sappho put her hands out and cupped the air.

"Big what?" Xena said as she stood behind them with two large mugs in her hands. She pulled a chair over with her foot and sat down behind them.

Sappho clapped her cupped hands together.

"Plans! We have such big plans ....... for Athens that is! Right, Gabrielle?"

"Right." Gabrielle agreed, stifling a chuckle and taking one mug from Xena, "Thanks."

"Where's mine?" Sappho asked, insulted that Xena had not brought her a drink.

"You've had enough." Xena stated, taking a sip

"You can never have enough Xena. Not in one lifetime!" Sappho deliberately turned her head and winked at the pretty, young girl. She blushed and smiled back.

The sound of drums filled the room. Sappho looked over and smiled across the dance floor at Alecto and Meager. They never could resist a set of drums, and had eagerly volunteered to join in with the other musicians in the tavern. Their intoxicating rhythms brought a whole new set of dancers out onto the floor.

Gabrielle turned to Xena.

"Come on, Xena. Let's dance!"

The request stopped Xena's drink from reaching her lips.

"Gabrielle, you're not serious?"

"Why not? Warriors dance, don't they?"

Xena did not answer.

Sappho couldn't resist putting her two dinars in, "What's the matter Xena, can't you dance?"

"Of course I can dance." Xena growled. Then she put her drink down on the table and pointed to the dance floor, "Look, there are a lot of Xenas out there. Go ask one of them to dance."

"She doesn't want to dance with a cheap copy. She wants the real thing." Sappho added.

"If you two are so hot to dance, why don't you just go dance together!" Xena snapped.

Gabrielle stood up from her chair, grabbed Sappho's hand, and led her out onto the dance floor. They began to move their bodies to the music.

Sappho noticed the warrior watching them dance and threw her a wicked grin as she moved just a little closer to Gabrielle.

"Don't take it personal, Gabrielle. Xena doesn't strike me as the type of person who would want to dance in a bar like this. Now, if we were at an Amazonian festival, then I bet she would really cut loose!" Sappho's face filled with a smile just thinking what it might be like to watch the warrior dance.

Gabrielle glanced over her shoulder at the warrior. Xena was quietly sipping on her drink and watching the dance floor. The bard could tell that Xena had slipped back into her "work" mode and was scanning the crowd for any signs of trouble.

(In actuality, Xena was staring at Gabrielle's belly button piercing as the bard was dancing, wondering what the ring would feel like rolling around in her tongue. When the warrior became conscious of her thoughts, she put the half full mug of mead down and pushed it away.)

The bard danced, turning her back to the warrior. Xena sighed, disappointed that she could no longer see the piercing, and looked around.

"All this dancing is making me thirsty!" Sappho suddenly announced. She grabbed Gabrielle and pushed their way back to the table. Upon arrival, she downed Xena's half full mug of mead in two gulps, smacked her lips, and yelled:

"Aphrodite!! Fill 'er up and keep it flowing!"

The Goddess adjusted his wig, grunted, and grabbed the empty mugs from the table.

Sappho flopped back down into her seat and leaned against Gabrielle. The buxom blond at the table next to them grinned when Sappho returned.

The poet smiled back enticingly. "Gabrielle, I think I might get lucky tonight! How about you?" The poet shifted her eyes briefly to the warrior.

"Sappho, don't be ridiculous." Gabrielle whispered, and then slapped the poet's arm. "And stop staring at that woman! She's with someone!"

"What are you two up to?" Xena growled from behind them.

They both snapped their heads to Xena and smiled innocently.

"Nothing!" They proclaimed in unison and turned back in their chairs. Sappho leaned against Gabrielle's shoulder.

"I can't help it! She keeps staring at me!" The woman winked at Sappho. The poet smiled brilliantly.

"Sappho!" Gabrielle hissed, "Stop it! That man saw you just now!"

"I don't care!" Sappho exclaimed loudly.

"Shhhhh!!!!" Gabrielle hissed.

"What's a red blooded girl to do?!" Sappho shrugged. She wiggled an eyebrow at the blond, inviting her to join them. Then Sappho grabbed Gabrielle's arm and whispered in her ear.

"Maybe she has a friend?"

Gabrielle choked on her drink. The poet's eyes drifted over to the pretty young woman across from them, and she could not resist a smile. This time, the woman's escort caught Sappho in the act.

"Hey you! Stop staring at my woman!" The man bellowed. Sappho lost her smile.

"I said, quit starin' at my wife or I'll poke yer eyes out!" The man snarled and started to push his chair back. It scrapped along the floor in warning.

Sappho would have none of that. She began to push her own chair back as though she were going to get up and challenge the man. Gabrielle threw her arm across the poet's chest and held her in place.

"Now just wait a minute!" Gabrielle said calmly, trying to diffuse the tense situation, "I don't think violence is going to solve anything here. Besides, she's the one who's been staring at us!"

"Right!" Sappho nodded, supporting Gabrielle's statement.

"Stay out of this big mouth or I'll rip ya tongue out!" The man pointed at Gabrielle.

"What's the matter? Your tongue not good enough! You need my friend's?" Sappho taunted.

Gabrielle's eyes became round saucers and she grabbed at Sappho's arm.

"Are you crazy! Shut up, Sappho!" She smiled at the man and tried once more to diffuse the situation, "Please. She didn't mean to imply that your tongue was inadequate. We were just trying to be helpful.......that didn't come out quite right, did it?"

The man growled at Sappho, "If she keeps talking, you'll both be staring at my sword!"

"Well, we wouldn't be staring at much, would we?" Sappho exclaimed loudly, winking once more at the man's wife. The woman began to laugh. Needless to say, this infuriated her husband and he drew back a very large, angry fist.

Behind them, Xena heard the sounds of a heated discussion and leaned forward in her seat to ask Gabrielle if everything was all right.

"Your friend just got you in a lot of trouble!" The man growled and swung in a big arc at Gabrielle. The bard gulped and ducked. The man's fist hit Xena squarely on the face as Gabrielle's head dropped out of the way.

Sappho never found the appropriate words to describe the 'thud' of his fist against Xena's face or the subsequent look of rage that washed over the warrior's features. She only remembered watching Xena stand, as if in slow motion, and then the look of horror on the man's face as he realized that he had just punched Xena, Warrior Princess. The poet never did see Xena's lightning fast response. She did, however, see the man's head snap back and become airborne, knocking over three tables behind him before finally coming to a stop against a wall.

A smart man would have stayed where he was. This was not a smart man. He shook his head clear, stood, and ran at Xena, lunging at her with outstretched hands.

"Gabrielle!" Sappho cried, "Hit the dirt!" The poet grabbed the bard and pulled her under their table. They could see the man's legs as he came running towards them. Then suddenly, his legs disappeared.

Xena caught his momentum as he came running at the table and, with a simple duck and a quick heave, she lifted him overhead and sent him flying down onto the table behind them. The man crashed into the table, spilling every drink, and sent its occupants splattering onto the floor. And that was what really got the fight underway.

The two men at the crashed table lifted the fallen man up and when one went to punch him, he ducked, sending the swinging punch into the face of the other. This blow sent that man flying into yet another table, causing two more men to stand and join in the foray. The number of participants increased geometrically.

Safely under their table, Gabrielle and Sappho looked at each other in fear, and a little amusement. Gabrielle watched the ballet of feet before her and quickly recognized Xena's boots. She could tell by the very familiar kick, punch, grunt of her friend that the Warrior Princess was holding her own in the battle. Gabrielle folded her arms and stared at Sappho crossly. Someone bumped into their table.

"The drinks!" Sappho yelled, and stood up from their cover.

"Sappho, get down!" Gabrielle yelled and pulled on the poet's toga. She managed to pull Sappho back under the table, but not before the poet had retrieved the two goblets out of harm's way. She handed one to Gabrielle.

"Here's to dessert!" Sappho toasted, clinking her goblet against the bard's. They both had to pull their legs in as a man slid by, a little too close for comfort.

They toasted again and were just about to drink, when two very strong hands grabbed at each of their necks.

"I hope you two are having fun down here?" Xena had joined them under the table.

Gabrielle turned to smile at her friend. She lost her smile, noticing immediately that Xena was sporting a bright, shiny black eye.

"Time to go!" The warrior hissed, and pulled them both out from under the table by the scruff of their necks.

"Oowww!!" Sappho complained as Xena dragged them along.

The fight was still raging and did not look as though it was going to let up. They all ducked to avoid a thrown goblet. Two screaming Aphrodites danced past them as they pulled on each others wigs. Xena swerved suddenly to avoid a wooden chakram, and then kicked backwards quickly to prevent someone from grabbing onto hers. The warrior wove them safely through the barroom brawl and then finally out into the street.

The door slammed closed behind them, leaving the three in relative silence. Xena released their necks.

"Home!" The warrior ordered.

"What about the others!" Sappho implored.

"Home!" The warrior repeated.

"What about.....?"

The black bruise around Xena's eye somehow managed to increase the intensity of its glare. The poet was quiet.

Xena shuffled them back to the inn, ignoring the crash, bangs, and booms of the fight continuing in the Queen's Parade behind them.


Part 6