IN A MAN'S WORLD

By Enginerd

*************************

CHAPTER 9 - REVELATIONS

Leo finally came to town and was overjoyed to find Gabriel there and interested in becoming a Sunmoon. As expected, Gabriel was invited to a dinner by Leo and Portus. The tavern was selected by Leo, considering the Great Hall's dining facilities would be a bit overwhelming. He didn't want to scare off someone like Gabriel. Leo suspected Gabriel might be someone the Sunmoon need now, someone who would strengthen the brethren's beliefs of the core values.

When Leo, Portus and Gabrielle entered the tavern, Gabrielle noticed that Xena, Esther and Esther's father were there as planned. Even though Esther's father knew and respected the man Sunal, he never supported the Sunmoon, especially after they started to recruit for an army. As a result, the Sunmoon had kept their eye on him as a potential trouble maker. Xena thought it would help his standing in the Sunmoon community if he was seen out and being sociable with the Sunmoon. Gabrielle also knew Xena wanted to keep and eye on Gabriel without drawing too much attention by coming alone to a Tavern.

"Looks like you've got two women interested in you Brother Gabriel." Portus spoke softly, nudging Gabrielle in the stomach, as they sat down at their table.

"There eyes give them away." Leon also noticed.

"You must tell us your secrets. Two BEAUTIFUL women." Portus grinned looking back at Leon.

"That's two too many." Gabrielle blurted without thinking.

"You have a sweetheart back home too? You know Brother Gabriel, you must be careful not to hurt a young woman while...exploring ...your options." Leon seemed concerned.

"It's not THAT trust me." Gabrielle half laughed.

Now Portus seemed concerned. "Gabriel...your not more fond of ..." Gabrielle felt like she couldn't win.

"What EXACTLY are you implying!" She quickly responded louder than intended, causing the a number of eyes to look their way. Portus laughed nervously, seeing both Leo and Gabriel were annoyed at his comment.

"Sorry Brother Gabriel...obviously you are not one of those Unnaturals." Gabrielle shook her head, hiding her relief Portus backed off. If she ever considered herself an "unnatural" - now would certainly be the time.

Xena glanced around the room seeing no armed Sunmoon, enabling her to relax somewhat. She glanced over at Gabriel's table and found to her chagrin that the noise in the Tavern made it impossible to hear their conversation. So, with that minor setback, she focused on finding more about Gabriel. Despite getting to know and even respect Gabriel through his actions, something still seemed odd to Xena. He was very quiet about himself considering he was supposed to be a bard and moreover, a relative of Gabrielle's.

"So, how did you and Gabriel meet?" Xena asked nonchalantly to compare her version with the story Alletus told her.

"He saved me from slavers." She said coolly, still not completely trusting this woman who attacked Gabriel. Her father looked at her with a questioning eye.

"You were bursting to tell me all the details the other day. Why don't you tell her the story? It is quite amusing actually." Her father added with a grin, annoying his daughter.

"Do tell" Xena said forcing a smile.

"Well" Esther acquiesced and started the story with how she was captured. "...then this handsome young man comes from the forest after hearing my scream." Both Esther and Xena look over at Gabriel.

"Handsome" Xena thought, assessing that for herself and not disagreeing.

"He seemed surprised to see so many slavers, there were at least ten. I could tell he wanted to help and I was afraid he would get himself killed trying, but THEN he spoke." Esther laughed. "He told them he didn't want any trouble and that he saw they had enough with me. He then said I hope you don't catch it." Esther's father also started to laugh at the story. "Gabriel had drawn them into believing that I had this horrible disease that affected men's ...ability in the bedroom....and they believed him! I've never seen so many men flee so quickly!" Tears were coming down Esther's father's eyes.

"Thank the Gods they were stupid." He added wiping his eyes. "Oh tell her what he called it.." He squeezed his daughter's hand.

"Placebocondria...." They both laughed loudly.

Xena was not laughing, she found it mildly amusing the first time she heard it. Her eyes darted over to Gabriel's table and found Gabriel looking their way due to the laughter. Gabriel met her gaze with a familiar look which disturbed Xena. Esther noticed two looking at each other.

"I guess you had to be there..." Esther responded coldly, causing Xena to break her gaze with Gabriel. Having no idea what the stare contest was about, Gabrielle wished she could read what was on Xena's mind.

"Ugh oh." Gabrielle thought, fearing action from Hermes "I didn't mean that Hermes. No need to teach me that's a bad idea..." She added in case if he was aware of her thoughts. Things were complicated enough already. Gabrielle tried to now dwell on her Godly worries as they discussed the Sunmoon beliefs. The conversation helped. While discussing the virtues of resolving conflict with reason vice aggression, Gabrielle found herself liking Leo and many of his beliefs despite the present situation. He seemed a good man and she was not surprised that Leo was the grandson of the founder. What did surprise her was that the very aggressive Boean was his brother.

"That's another reason why we believe in the family so much." Leo continued his impassioned discussion of the fundamental Sunmoon beliefs.

"The stronger the family, the stronger its influence on the moral upbringing of the children. How many of the crooks and murderers have come from weak or no families at all?" Leo asked.

"I've known a few murderers who have had a strong family" Gabrielle responded thinking of a few. Even Xena could be included in that category. Her family did not stop her from becoming a warlord. Leo looked a little annoyed at the comment. They were interrupted by Rachel, who brought them their food and drinks.

"There you go." She said brightly smiling at Gabriel who smiled back warmly. Leo and Portus looked at their plates which had significantly smaller portions than what was on Gabriel's plate.

"How does he do it?" Portus asks with disbelief and envy.

"What?" Gabrielle asked at first oblivious, but then caught on to the differing portions. "OH.." Gabrielle looked up then averted her eyes down to avoid staring directly at her deliberately placed attributes.

Rachel placed her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. "Gabriel, If YOU need ANYTHING honey, just let me know." She thought the young man's continuing shyness was sweet.

"Water would be nice, Rachel." Gabrielle asked. Rachel squeezed Gabrielle's shoulder and leaned to speak into her ear.

"Needless to say, I am disappointed, but I'll get you that water. Perhaps you can think of something else you might want, later." Gabrielle knew Rachel wasn't talking nutbread. Hermes this is NOT funny, she thought to herself.

"Look at that!" Esther commented with great annoyance from the next table. "God's doesn't she have any respect for herself!?!" Xena had watched a couple of armed men enter who didn't seem to be looking for anyone in particular.

"What?" Xena looked over at Esther and her father.

"Esther is jealous of that waitress." Her father spoke with a mouthful.

"Father! I..." She was flustered.

"I guess I'm in trouble now..." He laughed softly. "She is some waitress though. I wouldn't mind the attention she's showering on Gabriel.." He eyed her appreciatively. Xena rolled her eyes.

After the waitress left them, Gabrielle continued their discussion.

"Leo, I agree with the value of the family but that is not THE answer. I also don't think that the Sunmoon should try to force people to conform to their vision of wh t the right way to live is." Leo then shook his head.

"That is not what we do Gabriel, we're pacifists. We don't FORCE anyone to do anything. That is not our way..." Leo countered but was interrupted.

"Oh Really? Why then is this Pacifist group assembling an army? Why does that Sunmoon carry a sword?" Gabrielle asked not so subtly pointing to the Sunmoon who just entered. Leo shifted in his seat, apparently uncomfortable with the subject. Portus responded with conviction.

"Brother Gabriel, we still believe in resolving conflicts without resorting to aggression or violence. But what you see is a sad realization that for us to survive, we need to be able to defend ourselves against those who hate us and do harm to us." He looked Gabrielle in the eye. He believed what he was saying.

"The Unnaturals?" Gabrielle asked.

"Exactly." Portus though he had convinced Gabriel.

"So you've been attacked by these Unnaturals?" Gabrielle asked cautiously. "Oh yes, just ask Leo! Recently, his poor brother Boean was beaten within a breath of his life by a group of Amazons!" The story definitely got her attention.

"Amazons? Why would they attack a pacifist?" Gabrielle elected to subtly continue her interrogation instead of showing her unnaturally aggressive nature by wacking him with the closest piece of furniture. This took more effort than trying to convince Xena she was cousin Gabriel.

"The territory Boean was passing through was not Amazon, but they still claimed it as theirs." Portus explained.

"Where was that?" Gabrielle asked. Portus eyed her.

"The Rickas pass." He responded. Gabrielle knew that was definitely in Amazon territory.

"Well I'll guess we ought not to go through there then." She looked at him.

"NO, we should not have our actions dictated to us by a group that disagrees with our beliefs." Portus responded righteously.

"I couldn't agree with you more Portus." Gabrielle blurted, making Portus pleased. How many of these Sunmoon are this blind to the truth, she wondered.

"Amazons. Truly unbelievable. So have there been other attacks?" Gabrielle asked sipping her water, noticing Leo wasn't touching his food.

"Sadly yes. They have been occurring more frequently. Two gentle brothers, and Leo's very close friends, were brutally murdered by Amazons." Gabrielle almost dropped her cup. If the Sunmoon actually believe this, the Amazons were in incredible danger.

"There must be a peaceful way to coexist. Isn't there anyway to open a dialogue with them, reason with them?." Gabrielle asked peaking Leo's interest.

"I have asked my grandfather to do that. However, Boean has convinced him that wouldn't work. I must respect my grandfather's and Boean's positions."

"I hope this talk of aggression doesn't scare you off Gabriel." Leo said honestly. "We need people like you in the brethren." He smiled warmly. Gabrielle agreed or different reasons, believing the only way she could get information on their plans was on the inside.

"I must admit, I do not agree violence is the answer to violence. But I do think someone should be able to defend themselves." She looks over to the Sunmoon with the swords. The answer seemed to satisfy both Sunmoon dining companions.

"If you still want someone like me, I would be honored to become a Sunmoon." Leo and Portus made an enthusiastic announcement.

The Sunmoon in the tavern were quick to come over and congratulate Gabriel. One of the few armed Sunmoon came over and eyed the new addition to the brethren.

"What are you good at boy?" He asked, grasping the hilt of his sword and gulped down a large goblet of ale. Xena tensed up watching the armed man with Gabriel and two others entering the tavern.

"Brother Lerus, he is a bard." Leo stood up next to Gabrielle placing his hand on her shoulder.

"Really? Perhaps you can protect us all by putting the Unnaturals to sleep with one of your stories." Xena noted only the armed Sunmoon laughed at Brother Lerus' joke.

"A story." A few Sunmoon in the back called out.

"Tell a story." A few other Sunmoon called out. Leo thought that was an excellent idea.

"Yes brother Gabriel, tell us a story!" Leo smiled. Gabrielle looked over at Xena who sat quietly, watching.

"All right." Gabrielle cleared out a corner of the tavern for herself. "A story it is. I just hope I don't forget and tell you one of my DAAANGEROUS stories and put YOU ALL to sleep." The unarmed Sunmoon laughed.

"We'll take our chances" Leo called out. Gabrielle nodded.

"You heard him! You have been warned!" Gabrielle announced grandly. "Oh, and if you don't like it, it was written by my friend Aesop. All complaints should be forwarded to him." Gabrielle quickly added. The room laughed, including some of the armed Sunmoon. The young bard had the room's undivided attention, except for Xena, who watched as another armed Sunmoon, Boean, quietly entered the Tavern. The bard began.

"A dispute once arose between the wind and the sun over which was the stronger of the two."

When the story started, Xena's attention was finally draw to the bard.

"There seemed to be no way of settling the issue. But suddenly, they saw a traveler coming down the road. 'This is our chance,' said the sun, 'to prove who is right, whichever of us can make that man take off his coat shall be the stronger. And just to show you how sure I am, I'll let you have the first chance."

Noting every gesture, every change in intonation, every subtle nuance, Xena's gaze was transfixed on the bard. She didn't realize how much she missed Gabrielle until... Xena's pulse raced. Esther sighed at Xena's undivided attention to her hero.

"So the sun hid behind a cloud, and the wind blew an icy blast. But the harder he blew, the more closely did the traveler wrap his coat around him." Gabrielle looked over to Rachel then to Boean by the door.

Though Xena's mind could not explain her absurd realization, her pounding heart knew it was true.

"At last, the wind had to give up in disgust. Then the sun came out from behind the cloud and began to gently shine down upon the traveler with his power. The traveler felt the sun's genial warmth, and as he grew warmer and warmer, he began to loosen his coat." Gabrielle glanced over to Leo. "Finally the traveler took his coat off altogether, and sat down in the shade of a tree to fan himself. With that, through persuasion, NOT force, the sun had proven he was stronger."

With the end of Gabrielle's story, the room exploded with enthusiastic clapping and cheering for the bard.

All participated in the active appreciation except for Leo, Boean and Xena, each preoccupied with their own discoveries.

Leo found an ally.

Boean found another obstacle.

Xena found Gabrielle.
*************************

CHAPTER 10 - AN ALLY AND OBSTACLE

After the crowds in the tavern started to thin out, Esther's father gently tapped Xena's arm as he got up.

"We should leave." Xena had been very quiet as she stared at Gabriel.

"You go on. I'll stay here awhile." Xena responded weakly, waiving him off, intending to get Gabrielle alone to talk.

"Xena. As you have reminded me a few times now, we are in Sunmoon territory. You shouldn't stay here alone, even if you can take on everyone here." He laughed. "Come on. Gabriel will fill us in later. He should be safe enough. They all seem quite taken with him. Just like a few women I know." Esther's father couldn't help but poke fun at his daughter.

Esther looked at him and decided she would not be talking to her father for the next week. She also wondered if he remember how to cook dinner for himself. Xena reluctantly got up and followed Esther's father out the tavern. When she kept looking back at Gabrielle, Esther's father wondered what was bothering her.

"Are you OK?" He asked. Xena nodded yes.

"Gabe! What a story!" Leo raved.

"Thanks." Gabrielle responded. While Portus was off talking to Boean, Leo took the opportunity to confide in someone he trusted.

"I get worried sometimes that our core beliefs will be lost while we try to survive, yet when you told that story..." Leo almost shed a tear. "I have hope we will not be lost. Perhaps a bard will lead us back to the path we were intended to be on." Leo sipped his third mug of wine. Gabrielle was taken aback by this admission.

"Brother Leo, and I do mean brother..." Boean laughed at his own joke. "Introduce me to your new friend and our new brother."

Gabrielle remembered this man from her previous encounter with the three on the wagon. She wondered with a grin if the bruise she gave him to his stomach with her staff was gone yet. Boean had an easy and confident air about him. After exchanging a few pleasantries, Boean excused himself.

"I hope you find the Peace and Harmony you seek brother Gabe." Gabrielle nodded.

"Peace and Harmony to you ...Boean." Leo saw Gabrielle's eyes follow his brother.

"You don't trust him." Leo said bluntly surprising Gabrielle.

"Ah, Leo. I don't really know him." She awkwardly responded.

"It's OK Gabe. I don't trust him either. I know that is a sin. But by the Gods, he is up to no good. I just haven't been able to prove anything. He has our grandfather wrapped around his little finger." Leo sipped his wine.

"Leo, you should mind your words in public. Perhaps we could find someplace more private to talk." Gabrielle offered. Leo nodded, feeling foolish and a little drunk.

Gabrielle returned Leo to his room in the Sunmoon brethren barracks behind the Great Hall. She had to occasionally shush him along the way when he got too loud with his accusations.

"Leo. You have to be more careful." She scolded him and helped in his bed. Attempting to lean on his side to talk to his new ally, he rolled off his bed onto the floor with a thud. Gabrielle heard a muffled "ouch" from the still body.

"LEO!" Gabrielle lifted him up off the floor and back onto the bed. She wedged a pillow against his side figuring it ought to prevent a repeat of that fall.

"My best friends were killed by Boean's men." He blurted. "Grandfather accepted his word on that. He saw two stupid arrows and concluded the Amazons killed them. Why would THEY do that?" He blurted waiving his arms up in the air trying to emphasize his question. Gabrielle wasn't sure of which question he was asking.

"The Amazons wouldn't Leo You have my word on that." The comment caused him look at her oddly. He shook it off.

"I know YOU think that, I know I think that, but unfortunately, Sunal believes Boean. And if Sunal is behind Boean, ALL Sunmoon are behind Boean."

Behind the Tavern, Portus and Boean discuss their plans.

"Leo knows something is going on." Portus relayed to Boean who nodded.

"Leo is too weak to do anything. But that Gabriel, he did seem a bit preachy with that story. The bard might actually be more trouble. I wonder if Gabriel is willing to fight for those beliefs...just keep an eye on him." Boean added. Portus nodded and listened to the rest of Boean's instructions.

"Look, we need to get the scouting party on Amazon territory soon. The army will be here shortly and I don't want them hovering around this town too long. I don't want the Amazons to get wind of our plans too soon. They are still formidable opponents, even when out numbered 30 to 1. I don't want to thin out the army too much after all the effort to establish them. What's wrong now ?" Boean sighed at Portus concerned look.

"Our scouts, Boean. Do they all have to die? Most of them don't know it will be their last mission." Boean put his hand on his spy's shoulder.

"Portus. The way to convince the army to fight is to give them a reason. Brother Lerus will willingly sacrifice himself and his platoon for the cause. Their death by Amazon arrows will provide that reason. Once the army sees the bodies, we will have a true holy war which will unite our brethren in strength. We will no longer need to fear for our survival. Remember, united in strength. We will honor those who have strengthened us with their blood. I promise you that Portus." Boean patted his spy on the back.

"United in strength." Portus repeated to convince himself he was doing the right thing.

After the two men left, the barmaid Rachel started breathing again. She had taken the garbage out back and found herself listening in on a conversation. At first she had no idea the seriousness of their plans but quickly figured it out. She thought her Gabriel would be interested in what she had just heard. She also wouldn't mind too much if he also happened to be very grateful.

"The pacifiisssttss need to learn how to fight Gabe. There is no other way. I need to stop Boean and the only way is to beat him up....senseless. You know how to fight don't you? Bards have to deal with hecklers all the time don't they?" Leo spoke, still feeling the effects from the wine.

"Leo, trust me when I tell you, doing battle with hecklers is a just a wee bit different than doing battle with an army. There has to be another way. We'll find it." Gabrielle spoke to her drunk friend who frowned. "Leo, we'll find another way. Now sleep this off. We'll need to talk later."

Gabrielle pulled the covers up on Leo already thinking of a plan.

"Your a good man Gabriel." Leo spoke before he passed out. Gabrielle looked back at him from the doorway. The words hit her hard. Her time was indeed out. There was no way now to get to Athens and protect the Amazons.

"So are you Leo."

As she left the grounds of the Great Hall and proceeded back to the Inn, she was yanked into a dark alley.

"Hey!" She couldn't see the mugger but recognized her attributes.

"Honey, there are really strange things going on in this town." Rachel relayed.

"You're telling me." Gabrielle sighed then listened to her spy.

Rachel relayed Boean' plans to an amazed Gabrielle.

"Oh Gods." Gabrielle uttered, seeing the whole situation crashing down quickly. Rachel saw the worry on Gabriel's face and put her arm around his shoulders to comfort him.

"Is there anything you need? Anything I can do." She asked.

"I need a better plan." Gabrielle uttered quietly, trying to think as all the information collided in her head.

"I know its hard to think when you're tense. I know a way to help you release that tension." Rachel pulled Gabriel closer. Gabrielle was going to say no thank you, but then she had a plan. Looking into Rachel's eyes Gabrielle responded.

"Actually I do need your help." The words made Rachel smile until she found out what Gabrielle wanted. What the bard asked was not what she had in mind. However, Rachel agreed to the request. Gabriel had been a true friend and she didn't mind getting away from Corerik for a while.

TO BE CONTINUED....



Chapters Eleven and Twelve.