Chapter Five

 

Keagan leaned close to Rudy for another kiss, but pulled back. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. This is not happening. I just came over to study and, and--"

"And what?" Rudy sighed and leaned back into the overstuffed couch with languor. Her body felt like it was on fire, and her mind was just beginning to refocus on her surroundings. Recalling her kiss with Keagan, she hoped her actions hadn’t pushed the reluctant woman too far.

"It’s past ten and I should probably leave." She began to put her grammar text in her backpack and grabbed her jacket. As she stood up, Rudy spoke.

"Okay. Can I ask you a question, though?"

"Sure."

"Did you enjoy it at all? Usually when I kiss someone they don’t go running off. They usually stay for a bit." She grinned. "Just my ego, I guess."

Keagan regretted that she might have hurt Rudy’s feelings. She glanced toward the table and spotted Rudy’s open notebook. Bending down and grabbing a pen, she scribbled something quickly. "This," she began, looking directly into Rudy’s eyes, "is my number. I don’t give it out to just anybody, because I don’t like to be bothered. But for you, I’ll make an exception."

Rudy’s heartbeat sped up. "For me?"

"For you." Keagan headed toward the door and Rudy followed behind to see her out. Leaning over she whispered into her ear, "Because you’re such a good kisser." Rudy smiled at that, even as her friend's closeness sent shivers down her spine.

"Later." Keagan left and Rudy watched her for awhile as she walked down the street. Then she turned around and headed back for the couch, collapsing onto it, with a silly grin on her face.

Keagan’s thoughts didn’t stray far from Rudy during the short trek back to her apartment. She accepted her attraction to her, but told herself it was a fluke. One of those things that happened but shouldn’t have. As she stepped inside her apartment and flipped on the light, Keagan was hoping to purge her thoughts of Rudy for at least the rest of the evening. Taking off her jacket and throwing it onto a kitchen chair, she glanced at the answering machine, which indicated that there were five messages. There had been none when she left three hours before. Keagan sat down and pushed the message button. "Hi, it’s Rudy. Yep, she gave me her real number. click. You know, your message could use some revamping. Not that it’s not good or anything, but there’s no...subtext in it, you know. You just state everything precisely as it is: Hi, blah, blah, I’m not available, blah, leave a message. click. Can you believe your machine cut me off? It’s not like I talk that much or anything. Do you think? Oh, well, never mind. Anyway, I was going to say that maybe I can help you come up with a more creative message, if you want. click. I got cut off again. You need to get one of those digital answering machines. I bet those don’t cut people off. I can’t believe you’re not there yet. Oh, you left your grammar workbook here. That’s why I was calling. Maybe we can-- click. Hi, Keagan. I think you need to call me when you get home." click.

After Keagan stopped laughing, she dug out Rudy’s number and dialed it. So much for forgetting about her for the evening. A few seconds later, Rudy answered in a deep voice. "Hello. You’ve reached the lesbian hotline. This is Mo speaking. How can I help you?"

Keagan played along. "I just came out and I don’t know anybody. I’m kind of scared. I’m not sure I know what it is women do with each other."

"What’s your name, honey?" Rudy remained in character with the "Mo voice."

"Laura."

"Laura, that’s a pretty name. I’d be happy to tell you what women do together. What are you wearing, honey?"

Keagan held back a laugh. She made her voice sound timid and shy. "Okay, Mo, I’ll tell you. I’m wearing really short shorts and a skimpy tank top that shows off my bulbous attributes--"

"’Bulbous attributes’?!" Rudy dropped the Mo character. "You just can’t help yourself, can you? ‘Bulbous attributes’? Do you really think a shy, timid teenager just coming out would say that?"

"Oh, absolutely. I would have."

"You’re the exception to most rules."

"So what about the way you answered? What if it was your mom?"

"She never calls this late. Besides, caller ID."

"So, you’re always going to know it’s me calling."

"Does that mean you’re going to keep calling?"

"We’ll see. So what’s up with using up all my tape with your messages?"

"I was just feeling kind of devilish." Rudy laughed. "It must have been your kiss," she added.

"You mean your kiss. You kissed me, remember?"

"I didn’t hear you complaining too loudly." When Keagan remained silent, Rudy took a different route. She dropped the competitive banter in her voice. "Look, I like you. Is that so bad?"

Keagan responded to it against her better judgment. "No. Not at this point."

Rudy’s mind flashed with a potential book title: "Monosyllabic Women and the Women Who Love Them." She held back a giggle. "You want to go out with me tomorrow night, then? To dinner?" Rudy crossed her fingers.

"That would be like a date, wouldn’t it?"

"I would hope so. C’mon, it won’t be so bad. They say I’m a fun date."

"Oh, do they now? Who’s they?"

"Oh, you know. All those women I told you about, who end up at The Coffee Table with me the next day."

"Ah." Keagan knew she was joking, but wondered why she felt a tinge of jealousy anyway.

"I’ll come by your place about 7. Is that okay?"

"Sure," Keagan’s response was cool.

"Great. See you tomorrow, Keagan."

"Bye, Rudy."

Keagan hung up the phone slowly and attempted to interpret what happened. She felt both foreboding and excitement. She wanted her and wanted to flee from her. Keagan wished she could settle on one feeling.

 

The next day, Keagan had a difficult time concentrating at work. Not that her job required much thought, but there were a few simple things that needed attention. Things like putting a new blade into a box cutter without slashing one’s fingers, for example.

"Ow! Shit!" Keagan grabbed the index finger of her left hand that began to bleed. "Dammit!" Luckily, she was in the stockroom and there would be no danger of being accosted by a customer.

"You incompetent boob!" Her coworker, Nate, who stood near her pricing food, gave a laugh.

 

"Ha, ha! Thanks for the sympathy!" Keagan glared at him and walked over to the utility shelf. Grabbing a few paper towels, she stopped the bleeding and reached into her apron for a band-aid. "Cool. One left."

"There’d be more left, if you weren’t so incompetent."

"You’re on a roll today. I wonder what you’d do if I cut my hand open."

"I’m sure we’ll have a chance to find out!" His cackle was ornery, the devilment in his eyes affectionate. Nate had been a close friend for years, and their mutual teasing of each other was based on a need to brighten up the atmosphere at work.

"Yeah, yeah. I’m sure." Nate grinned and returned to pricing. Keagan affixed the Band-Aid. "What are you doing tonight?"

"Derek wants to go to the drag queen show at the Garage."

"Sounds like fun." Derek was Nate’s boyfriend. Keagan got together with them every once in awhile, but since it often involved some woman they were trying to set her up with, she hadn’t seen them recently.

"And you?" He knew Keagan hadn’t been very social lately and suspected her answer would be that she was doing nothing.

"I’m meeting a young lady for dinner." Keagan deadpanned the statement, but the corners of her lips upturned ever so slightly.

"A date? A real date?" His look was incredulous.

"Yeah, a real date. I can do that too, you know." Keagan’s eyes returned to her work, as she sliced open a carton with the box cutter.

"You mean, it’s not a story idea date?"

Keagan looked back up with annoyance. "No. A real, bonafide date. Gimme a break."

Nate cackled, seeing this a prime opportunity to tease his friend. "Where is Keagan and what have you done with her?" he bellowed.

Keagan smirked in response.

"What’s her name?"

"Rudy Whitman."

"She related to Walt?"

"No. But she could be. She knows a lot about poetry. She’s an English major, too." Keagan stopped, fearing she had started to babble.

"So. You really like her?"

"She’s all right." Keagan’s look was indifferent.

"Sounds great."

"We’ll see."

 

Later, back at her apartment, Keagan lifted weights to alleviate the stress she felt about going out with Rudy. She tried to block out all of her insecure feelings and focus on nothing but exercise. As the phone rang, she listened to her own message with scrutiny. "Hi. I’m not available. Leave a message. Beep." Keagan’s brow furrowed as she considered that Rudy might be right. Maybe she did need a more engaging message. "Bonjour, mon amie. C’est Gretchen Fuqua. Keagan pick up."

She wiped the sweat from her brow and picked up the phone. "Hello. I can’t talk for long."

"Okay. Neither can I. I was just calling because I’m having a party and I want you to come and I want you to bring, um, Trudy, is that her name?"

"Rudy."

"Oui, oui. Well, it’s next Saturday around 9. Can you make it?"

Keagan winced. She hated parties. "You know I hate parties."

"But this is my big 80’s party. You have to be there!" Keagan could almost see her pouting on the other end of the line.

"Maybe if it was 70’s--"

"All right. I’ll see what I can do about gettin’ some 70’s in there, okay?"

"Fine. But I’m not staying long."

"Great. And invite Trudy! Bye!"

"Rudy." Keagan hung up the phone, mentally adding the party to her list of dreaded things to do.

 

Keagan put on some cologne, and glanced at the clock for the last time. She suspected the nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach wasn’t going to leave anytime soon. She would go out with Rudy, they would eat dinner, and they would each go back to their respective residences and go to bed alone. Nothing would come of it. It was just a date.

At just around 7, Keagan heard footsteps. She ran into her bedroom and checked her look once more. Her friends always made fun of her for wearing so much black, but she felt comfortable in the color. She figured it diverted attention from her, especially at the bar. Satisfied that her hair, which she had chosen to wear down, looked okay, she returned to the living room. Not wanting to appear anxious, she waited for Rudy to knock before opening the door. "Hey."

"Hey, yourself." Rudy stepped inside with a smile. "Something smells really good," she said looking directly at Keagan.

"I’m not cooking anything. We’re going out to eat, right?"

"I meant you."

"Oh." Keagan looked to the side and grabbed her jacket, which was sitting on a chair.

Rudy smiled, charmed by Keagan’s apparent naivete. Taking her arm gently but firmly, she steered her out the door. "C’mon, I want to get you out with me before you change your mind."

Keagan resisted the urge to argue.

 

They bantered briefly over whose car to take. Keagan insisted that since her car must surely be considered an historical vehicle, it would be much more prestigious to take it. Rudy countered by saying that if they took her car, she was going to crawl into the passenger’s side after Keagan was already seated in the driver’s seat. They took Rudy’s car.

They went to a gay restaurant Rudy had been to a few times before. She picked it because it had an inviting atmosphere, decent food, and pleasant service. And she wanted Keagan to be comfortable. After they were seated, the waitress came over with menus. "Hi, my name is Brett. I’ll be your server this evening. If there’s anything you need, just let me know." She addressed them both, but Keagan detected a distinct preference for Rudy in her mannerisms; like the way she winked at her after taking their drink order. As Brett left, she grinned and shook her head.

"What?" Rudy perused the menu. "Ooh. They have escargot!"

"She winked at you."

"Jealous?"

"No. And you are not eating snails in front of me."

"She was just being friendly. Why not? What do you have against snails?"

"They belong on the ground. Not in your mouth."

"So you think you know what belongs in my mouth?" Rudy had looked up from her menu to regard Keagan mischievously.

Keagan knew a challenge when she saw one. "No, but if you eat snails, I can tell you what won’t be in your mouth."

"Shrimp cocktail, then?"

"That would be a definite improvement."

Brett came back with the bottle of Chardonnay Rudy ordered. Placing two glasses on the table, she poured a glass for Rudy, smiled at her, and then returned to the back. "Gee, thanks." Keagan frowned.

"She probably thought the wine was just for me."

"Yeah, right. The whole bottle. You wino." Keagan reached for the bottle, but Rudy stopped her. "Allow me." She courteously poured her a glass. "Thanks." She took a sip.

"Good?"

Keagan nodded, impressed with Rudy’s attentions. "But I still say this waitress likes you."

Rudy took a sip of her wine. "Is that so hard to believe?" She gazed guilelessly at Keagan.

"No, but since I’m sitting here, it’s kind of rude."

Rudy nodded. "Oh, ‘cause we’re together?"

"Well...yes, since we’re sitting here together, eating, presumably, well, we’re not eating now but we will be eventually, yes." Keagan wondered where this conversation had sprung from and how she could end it.

"Did anybody ever tell you that you’re really cute when you babble?"

"No."

"Hmm. Well, don’t you worry about our waitress. I’ll take care of her." Rudy winked at Keagan and spotted Brett coming back to the table.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

Rudy got a pensive look on her face as she regarded the waitress. "Since you asked, you forgot, earlier, to pour a glass of wine for my lover. She was feeling left out." Rudy smiled sweetly.

Keagan, who had just been attempting to finish her glass of wine, had to swallow quickly and put the glass back down on the table to avoid spilling something. She looked up at Rudy who was looking particularly adorable at that moment and then over at the startled waitress who was regarding her cautiously. "Oh, I’m so sorry. I’ll remember next time. Are you ready to order yet?"

"Two shrimp cocktails to start." Brett nodded and went off to get their order. "I told you I was a fun date." She gazed at Keagan, who still had a look of shock on her face.

"I didn’t really doubt you would be. I hope she doesn’t poison my shrimp cocktail."

"I’ll test it for you."

"Make sure she’s standing there when you do." Keagan and Rudy realized how silly the whole conversation had become and laughed.

A few minutes after that, Brett returned and took their dinner orders. She had turned extremely solicitous to Keagan. "I guess you handled her," said Keagan.

"I know how to handle women." The comment was delivered with false bravado.

"Oh, you do, do you? You’re in for a surprise with me, then."

"I don’t think I’ve done too bad with you so far. Let’s see, I got you to teach me pool, I’ve spent the night at your place, I helped you learn the ten sentence patterns, I kissed you, and here’s the big one: I got you to go out with me."

"Quite a list of accomplishments. You should be proud." Keagan took a sip of wine and looked up to see Brett bringing the shrimp cocktail. She hoped the conversation would die down for awhile, as Rudy devoured the shrimp.

"Thank you." Rudy picked up a shrimp and dipped it into the cocktail sauce. She licked the sauce clean and gazed up to Keagan, who watched her intently, wondering why she found it so erotic when Rudy ate shrimp. Keagan glanced away.

Rudy popped the shrimp into her mouth. "These are so good." Noticing that Keagan had not touched hers yet, she added, "What do I have to do? Feed them to you?" Before she could answer, Rudy reached over and plucked one of Keagan’s shrimp from the dish. Smiling with purpose, she dipped it into the sauce, making sure she got a generous amount on the piece. Then her eyes returned to Keagan’s who remained sitting quietly, waiting for her next move. Leaning over, she offered the shrimp to Keagan, whose lips parted easily. As she drew her hand away, she felt the slightest sensation of Keagan’s tongue against her index finger. The tingling sensation of pleasure that coursed through her at this minor action alerted Rudy to the deepening attraction she felt for her. She blushed and returned to her own shrimp.

Keagan reminded herself that they were in a restaurant and it wouldn’t look nice if she began licking the sauce off of Rudy’s fingers. "I must confess, I’ve never had so much fun eating shrimp before."

"There’s more where that came from." Rudy mentally kicked herself, wondering why she lost her decorum around Keagan.

Keagan smiled. Usually someone who flirted the way Rudy did, had pre-planned sexual intentions toward her. But she didn’t get that feeling from her friend. Instead, a refreshing innocence was conveyed behind her flirtation. Keagan wondered how she did that.

"So, tell me about your family." They had just finished up the shrimp and Rudy wanted to get in some quality conversation before dinner came.

"As you know, my grandma’s a drunk and my mom takes care of her." Keagan laughed to break the tension. It was her usual way to make light of her family situation. Rudy wasn’t laughing.

"How does that affect you?"

"It doesn’t."

"Okay. I guess that’s fortunate, then, right?" Green eyes studied blue and they seemed to be offering an invitation.

"Yeah. Look, I’m sure your family’s much more interesting than mine. Why don’t you tell me about them?"

Rudy accepted that the family was off limits. "You asked. My family’s pretty boring, actually. My dad’s a lawyer and my mom’s in real estate. They divorced when I was 11. My dad was having an affair with one of his associates. My parents provided the perfect role model for me: what not to do in a relationship." Rudy chuckled a bit to break the tension. After all, it was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted date. Not a disclosure of dirty family secrets.

"I never had any kind of role model for a relationship. I just had my mom. I don’t know the first thing about it." Keagan stated this matter-of-factly, not in a voice that expected sympathy.

"What happened to your dad?"

"He and my mom got divorced when I was three. He just disappeared from the picture." Keagan took solace in the fact that this no longer hurt her, much like her relationship with Terry. All she had were memories that it had once hurt her.

"Do you ever wish you could see him?"

"I used to, but now it would be pretty pointless, don’t you think? I’m 24 now. He doesn’t know me and I don’t know him. We’d be strangers. There would never be any way to get those years back that we could have had." Keagan stopped, realizing that she was revealing too much. "And besides, I’ve come to realize that I never needed a father anyway. Ultimately, you don’t really need anybody."

Rudy ignored the wave of sadness that washed through her at Keagan’s words. "Maybe not, but it can be a lot more fun with somebody."

Keagan reconnected with those beautiful green eyes. "Maybe."

Rudy smiled at her and Keagan had to remind herself to breathe. She took a long breath, feeling relief when she saw Brett coming back with their orders.

The rest of the evening went smoothly. Their conversation, although primarily directed by Rudy, tended to be revealing. They discovered that they both had an affinity for 70’s music and classical. They both tended toward outdoor activities, such as hiking, swimming, and white water rafting. And they both really liked seafood, but to Keagan’s dismay, she discovered that Rudy had never had lobster. She considered whether or not to remedy that.

After they finished desert, the conversation steered back to seafood. "I still can’t believe you’ve never had lobster."

"I guess I just never had the opportunity."

"You’ll love it. There’s nothing like it. When you dip that succulent piece of lobster meat into the heated butter and place it into your mouth, you’ll just be in utter ecstasy." Keagan grinned with mischief, realizing where the tone of the conversation was leading them.

"Really. You’ll show me how it’s done then?" She gazed intently at Keagan. "I mean, I’m not sure how to get to the meat through the shells. I don’t know how people do that."

"Sometimes you can use your hands, that’s how I prefer to do it, you can just gently crack open the shell to get what’s inside, or you can use a shell cracker, I guess it’s called. Looks like a nut cracker to me, though."

"So, your hands play an important part in getting what you want?"

Keagan actually found herself blushing. "Yes. And it’s worth it. Once you taste that sweet meat, you’ll never be able to get enough. I guarantee it."

Rudy nodded her head, and barely maintained her decorum. "Hmm, so when are you going to take me out for lobster?"

Keagan’s heartbeat sped up. "I haven’t had lobster in a long time, so I’m probably a little rusty on the important parts."

"I’m sure we can figure it out together, don’t you think?" This time, Rudy made her intentions clear by moving across the table and placing her hand under Keagan’s chin.

"Easily done." Rudy kissed her on the lips. Although it wasn’t anything passionate due to their public surroundings, it affected her.

"Good." Rudy smiled. "I think it’s time to go."

"Right."

 

Since it was still early, they decided to stop by the bar. Neither one of them felt like leaving each other’s company just yet. They went over to Keagan’s usual table and sat down. Before they knew it, Cody was there regarding them with a curious smile. "Hi, you two. Did you walk in together?"

"Actually, we planned the whole thing. We saw each other, coincidentally, in the parking lot and said, ooh, let’s play a joke on the matchmakers by walking in together. Keep your eyes open. You never know what we might do next just to fool you!" Keagan raised an eyebrow and leaned back in her chair, regarding Cody with a cool smile.

"What did you do with this woman?" Cody said to Rudy. "I haven’t heard her speak more than two sentences in a row for years!"

"My sides are splitting. Have you ever considered stand-up?" Keagan glared at Cody.

Rudy looked innocent. "All I did was take her to dinner."

"Keep up what you’re doin’ hon." Cody winked at Rudy, who smiled in response. "Can I get you something?"

"The usual," said Keagan.

"I’ll have what she’s having."

"Okay. Any snacks, tonight?"

Rudy put her hands on her stomach. "Oh, no, please. I’m stuffed after that dinner. I couldn’t eat another bite."

"A rare occurrence."

Rudy hit Keagan playfully on the arm. "I heard that and I’ll make you pay for it!"

Keagan grinned as Cody chuckled and returned to the bar. "Thanks for dinner, it was nice."

Rudy wasn’t used to straightforward, honest remarks from Keagan, but instead of teasing her about it, she said, "You’re welcome. Thank you. You’re a pretty fun date, yourself."

"You shouldn’t come to that conclusion so soon. The date isn’t over yet."

"You mean you have more surprises in store for me?"

As Keagan was about to respond, she heard a loud bellowing coming from near the pool table. "Keagan!!" It was Gretchen Fuqua, waving and making her way over to their table.

"Oh, joy. She’s gonna try and get me to come to her party next Saturday."

"A party? Sounds like fun."

"Have fun, then. You were invited."

"You won’t be there?"

"I hate parties."

"Keagan? You’re coming to my party, right? Trudy, I know you’ll be there, you’re not such a sourpuss like Keagan here."

"That’s a great way to encourage me to come to your party, by insulting me. And her name is Rudy. Rudy. R-U-D-Y. Okay?"

"Okay." She drawled out her response with mock annoyance. "Forgive me for the faux pas."

"Gretchen, that’s okay." Rudy smiled warmly. "I’ll come to your party and I’ll even convince Keagan to come, too."

"Ha! Good luck with that one! See ya there!" She headed for the bar.

"And how do you intend to convince me to go?"

"I have my ways." Rudy got a cryptic look on her face.

"Like what?"

"Being that I’m a young, single, gay girl and I’m going to a presumably gay party, there will probably be other young, single, gay girls there, too. So, I’ll probably get picked up if I go alone." Rudy rolled her eyes dramatically.

Keagan laughed. "Yeah, right. You don’t look like the type to allow herself to get ‘picked up’."

"You never know. A girl gets lonely sometimes." Rudy directed a teasing look to Keagan.

"Alone, alone, all, all alone, Alone on a wide, wide sea! And never a saint took pity on my soul in agony."

Rudy thought hard for a moment. Then, "Coleridge. ’Rime of the Ancient Mariner.’ It’s going to take a lot more than that to stump me." She regarded Keagan challengingly.

"Okay. She walks in beauty, like the night. Of cloudless climes and starry skies—"

Rudy laughed. "Don’t insult my intelligence."

"Sorry."

"S’all right."

"Wild Nights--Wild Nights! Were I with thee Wild Nights should be Our luxury!" Keagan gazed expectantly at Rudy, not quite able to believe they were really doing this.

"Oh, that’s a good one. Dickinson, of course. Futile--the Winds--To a Heart in port--Done with the Compass--Done with the Chart!"

Keagan lowered her voice. "Rowing in Eden--Ah, the Sea! Might I but moor--Tonight--In Thee!"

Rudy’s body had a reaction to Keagan reciting poetry and she wished they were in a more private place so she could explore this. Since she couldn’t, she said, "I love how she uses metaphors, don’t you?"

"Yep." Keagan was trying somewhat unsuccessfully to control her reaction to the poetic rapport she shared with Rudy. She admitted to herself that it was more than just an interest in poetry they shared. The question was whether or not she would allow herself to explore what they could have together.

Cody came back with their drinks, and left quietly. Keagan took a sip of her rum and coke and welcomed the refreshing coolness as it slid down her throat. Gazing back to Rudy, she suspected her friend had come up with a quote of her own, from the look on her face.

"I’ve got one for you that you’re not going to get."

"I highly doubt that." Keagan looked smug.

Rudy took a deep breath. "Here it is. Tell me, love, how to speed time now, How to slow it then, when I call your name."

Keagan felt a shiver go through her as Rudy recited from the love poem. For a brief moment, it seemed as if she was addressing Keagan, herself. And then she racked her brain, trying to come up with poet’s name, but couldn’t. She didn’t know. "You got me."

Rudy smiled. "I don’t think they teach that one in any of our English courses. It’s Minnie Bruce Pratt. It’s a lesbian love poem."

"I figured. I’d like to hear the rest of it."

"I don’t know the whole thing by heart. The book’s at my house."

"Maybe sometime when I’m over studying for grammar or something."

"Or I could bring it over to your place."

"Sure." The implication being that they’d have more privacy at Keagan’s apartment because she didn’t have a roommate.

"Tomorrow night?"

"La Roux, whenever you like." Hearing a familiar song, Keagan spoke before thinking. "Dance?" She held out her hand to Rudy, who took it with a smile.

Keagan felt self-conscious as she walked to the dance floor with Rudy. Certainly, her friends would harass her for this. She never danced with her "story idea dates" so everyone would know something was up. But she wanted to feel Rudy in her arms and if it involved embarrassment, she’d survive it. It was only a dance anyway.

Rudy’s arms tightened around Keagan who responded by holding her closer. Focusing on that moment, her thoughts centered on Rudy alone as her eyes closed in contentment. When she opened them again, Rudy gazed up at her. She bent down, their lips meeting slowly at first, with the kiss soon turning passionate. As Rudy’s mouth opened beneath hers, thoughts of where they were fled and the only thing that remained were her feelings for Rudy.

Feeling a soft tongue thrusting into her mouth and hands caressing her back caused Keagan to moan. Knowing a further public display could get embarrassing, she tore her mouth away from Rudy’s reluctantly. Before Keagan gently pulled her back into her arms to finish the dance, she heard a chuckle escape from her dance partner. Keagan flashed her a devilish look as they melded into each other again.

As the song ended, she and Rudy sat back down. "Thanks for the dance," said Keagan.

"Thank you."

"Don’t tell me I’ve finally got you speechless."

Rudy gazed into the blue eyes she was coming to adore. "You should know by now there’s only one way to get me speechless."

Keagan leaned over and captured her lips swiftly. She couldn’t get enough of that sweet mouth. As Rudy pulled her head closer, she felt her tongue seeking entrance again. She wished they were anywhere but the bar. When they parted, Rudy directed a purposeful gaze at her. "Let’s go back to my place so I can read that poem to you."

"Right." They made a hasty exit from the bar.

 

Chapter Six

 

"So, as a date, what would you rate me on a scale of 1 to 10?" Rudy drove down High Street, heading back to her apartment. Keagan sat silently beside her, lost in her own thoughts, not vocalizing any of them.

"So far...I’d give you about a 5." Keagan grinned to herself, knowing she was asking for trouble and loving it.

Rudy flashed Keagan a mock glare and returned her eyes to the road. "Just a 5? That’s it?"

"Yep. Until we get back to your place. Then we’ll see if you can up your rating." Keagan couldn’t help it and snickered.

"And how would I do that?"

"Um..." Keagan found herself unable to come up with a suitable one-liner.

"You...are...bad. But, keep in mind, I don’t have sex on the first date. We’re going there to read a poem, that’s it."

"No sex? You can just take me home, then."

Rudy slapped her on the arm, teasingly, but recognized an opportunity. "Are you saying you want me, then?"

"Oh, yeah, I want you...to take me...to your place and read me that poem." Keagan glanced over at the strawberry-blonde, who smirked and shook her head slightly.

"You are such a tease. What am I going to do with you?"

"Read me a poem."

"I should warn you. This poem’s kind of sexy. It might turn you on or something."

Keagan laughed to herself at that comment. She had already been turned on during dinner, at the bar, and even right then in the car. Sometimes all she had to do was think about Rudy and her heart would begin to beat faster. "You mean an intellectual type of turn-on, right?"

"No, I mean a sexual one. Is that going to be a problem for you?" They were stopped at the light, giving Rudy an opportunity to glance over and stare intensely into blue eyes that gazed back with surprise and excitement at the same time.

Keagan feared their playful banter was turning serious. She always handled sarcastic flirtation a lot easier than direct declarations. It was easier that way. But Rudy had a way of drawing things out of her. The threatening part didn’t come from Rudy. It came came from herself. "No."

"I see I’ve got you back to monosyllabic responses." Rudy grinned at Keagan.

"You asked a close-ended question. What did you expect?"

"Perhaps I should rephrase the question, then?" Rudy’s eyes twinkled as her brain began to formulate a new question.

"No, no, please don’t."

"How would it be a problem for you if I were to read you a sexy poem at my apartment in my bedroom?"

At the sound of Rudy’s voice and the tone her words were conveying, Keagan felt a pleasurable sensation in her lower body. Trying to ignore the distracting feeling, she remembered Rudy was waiting for an answer.

"I guess it would depend where you were in relation to me."

"Hmm?"

"Are you on the bed? Am I in a chair? Or standing? Are we both on the bed? It would also depend if we were touching or not."

"Would it depend on what I was wearing?"

"Definitely."

"How about this? You’re lying on my bed, and I’m sitting in front of you, with my back to you, reading, and I’m wearing what I have on now sans the jacket."

Keagan smiled at Rudy’s use of the word ‘sans’ in regular conversation. "We’re not facing each other? Do I have my arms around you?" Keagan couldn’t think of why Rudy would be reading and not facing her.

"If you want, but you don’t have to. That is, if it would be a problem."

Keagan voice lowered. "I could handle that."

"Good."

 

When they pulled into Rudy’s driveway, Keagan heard her date groaning. There were two cars in the driveway which meant Rudy would have to park on the street. Apparently, Courtney had decided to have friends over that night.

"I don’t care about her having her friends over, most of them are nice, but that looks like Dave’s car and he gives me the creeps."

Keagan frowned. "Why’s that?" She and Rudy exited the car and strolled slowly toward the front door.

"He likes me. But it’s more than that. He asked me out twice now. He just won’t take a hint." She shivered. Dave was extremely annoying.

"You want me to tell him you’re mine?" Keagan said it jokingly.

Rudy felt the sultry reverberations of Keagan’s voice seem to trail all the way down her body. She knew Keagan was joking, but secretly wished she wasn’t. "How about you just beat him senseless?"

"All right. No problem. Just point him out when we go in and I’ll take care of it." Keagan grinned mischievously at Rudy as they reached the front door. Rudy’s emerald eyes stared back at her with mirth. She unlocked the door and they stepped inside. Courtney, Dave, and her two other friends, Brenda and Ken were sitting around drinking beer and watching the MTV show, "Loveline." Keagan glanced with distaste at the television and the show she considered to be quite atrocious. "Hey," Rudy said to Courtney, and grabbed Keagan’s jacket sleeve in an attempt to guide her upstairs.

"Do you two want to watch "Loveline" with us?"

"Thanks, but I consider Dr. Drew to be a pseudo-intellectual shrink who caters to his annoying comic sidekick while they both give out bad advice to a bunch of losers. But, thanks." Keagan grinned to take the edge out of her statement.

Courtney smiled back at Keagan, impressed with her forthrightness. "Actually, I agree with you. I just watch it to make fun of it."

"C’mon, let’s go to my room." She took off her jacket and threw it over a chair.

"What do you got against Dr. Drew? And why are you guys going upstairs for?" Dave, who was seated on the couch, had leaned over to get a look at Rudy’s friend. He was shorter than Keagan and fairly stocky with a crew cut and beady, little hazel eyes.

Keagan clenched her jaw and looked dispassionately at Dave. "Answer to the first question: The man is clearly fixated on the family and children and allows this fact to cloud his judgment when giving advice. Answer to the second question: none of your business."

"Rudy, your friend’s a real charmer. Where’d you dig her up at? Oh, and what are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Dave, leave her alone," said Courtney. She was tired of Dave asking Rudy out since clearly her roommate wasn’t interested.

"This is my friend, Keagan, and we met at...school. We’re in the same BritLit class. And, I have other plans for tomorrow night and any night you choose to ask me out. Okay?"

"When are you going to quit playing hard to get?" Dave took a sip of his beer, his sixth of the evening. It was clear he was drunk, a fact that was not lost on Keagan. She held in her ire and responded.

"Playing hard to get carries with it the implication that she really wants to go out with you,

which she clearly doesn’t." Keagan was unable to hide a slight smirk. Picturing Rudy with the likes of Dave was quite funny, actually.

"Who the hell are you anyway?" Dave stood up a bit wobbly.

"Had a little too much to drink, Dave?" Keagan knew she shouldn’t taunt him, but he was the kind of person she despised most in the world. Dave was the type that let alcohol lower his inhibitions, which Keagan didn’t consider necessarily bad per se. It was the fact that his comments were offensive to others in the process that made her feel contempt for him.

"Sit down and quit bothering my roommate and her friend." Dave looked over at Courtney, frowned, and sat back down.

"Goodnight, you guys," said Rudy nervously as she grabbed Keagan’s sleeve and steered them both upstairs.

When they got to Rudy’s bedroom, Keagan took off her jacket and draped it over a chair. She had harbored an interest in her friend's room when she had been over to study, but hadn’t stayed long enough to get a chance to see it. Being understandably curious about the woman she found so attractive, she took the opportunity to explore it, as Rudy searched for the book. It was a decent sized room, but there seemed to be too much in it for the space allowed. She was only slightly surprised to find that everything in Rudy’s room was far from neatly arranged. She had books, a lot of them, and she had bookcases, too; three of them. The only problem was that she couldn’t defy the laws of physics by fitting all of her books into such a limited space. Consequently, Keagan noticed more than a few stacks of books sitting over in the corner by the window. She smiled to herself. At least Rudy had made an attempt to keep them pretty much in one place. In the other corner of the room was a neatly made bed, looking as if it was being kept separate from the disarray of everything else. Keagan couldn’t blame her. If nothing else had much order, at least a place of rest ought to, right? The walls were covered in various prints of which her eyes scanned rapidly. One of them was Monet’s waterlillies and she paused in recognition, gazing at it for a second. Rudy had some family pictures on top of a bookcase. Keagan considered asking about them, but didn’t want to pry.

Before she knew it, Rudy had turned around with the book in her hand. "Found it. Sit down, you look like a deer caught in the headlights. My room’s not that scary, really."

Oh yes it is, feeling the way I feel. "Take off your shoes and hop on the bed, just like we talked about. There’s really nowhere else to sit anyway." Rudy grinned shyly at Keagan who looked warily back and began unlacing her boots. As she was doing this, Rudy sat down. "By the way, thanks for defending me."

"No, problem. That guy’s a jerk."

"Why, because he wants to go out with me?"

Keagan looked cautiously at Rudy. "Not just that. It’s because he keeps asking when you’ve made it clear you’re not interested."

"And he likes ’Loveline.’"

"Exactly."

"You want to hear the poem now?"

"Sure do."

"Okay." Rudy sat in front of Keagan, who settled back against the pillows. When Rudy turned around to face her, to get permission to lean back against her, the gaze of Keagan’s blue eyes distracted her. She almost forgot about the poem to pursue more interesting things. But, soon Keagan’s arms came around her with slight trepidation, and she leaned up against her comfortingly. "I need to find the page it’s on."

Keagan began to get impatient waiting for Rudy to find the right poem. "Is that the right book?"

"Yes. It’s just that, well, this poem isn’t like I remembered it. Actually, all I really remembered was the line I quoted you..."

"And the problem is?"

"It’s a little more, uh, graphic than I thought."

"Well, you said it could be a turn on."

Rudy turned her head sideways, but didn’t look into Keagan’s eyes. "I was just teasing, Keagan." She blushed. Fortunately for her, Keagan couldn’t see it.

"Should we get into a less intimate position, then?"

Rudy liked the position they were in too much to give it up so quickly. "No. I’ll just read it. I promised you, after all."

"That you did, La Roux."

Rudy smiled at Keagan’s use of the nickname. "It’s called, ‘When I Call Your Name.’" She began to read.

July is over, four hot weeks

Of August, two long weeks in September,

And then I’ll be in your bedroom, in your bed,

Nibbling your pink earlobe.

Keagan laughed. Rudy turned around and looked at her directly. "What’s so funny?"

"I don’t know. ‘Nibbling your pink earlobe.’ It just makes me get a vision in my head. I get these visual representations in my head from words...not all words, just things that make an impression on me." Keagan shrugged.

"And I would very much like to hear about that, but can I finish the poem first?"

Keagan gave the zipped lips sign, as Rudy turned back around, hiding an amused smile.

Even in the city, our day will be

Luscious, your hair black and twining

In my hands like the wild muscadine grape.

"Muscadine grape? Is that really what it says?"

Rudy sighed. "Yes, that’s really what it says."

"Oh. Okay. Go on."

"No, no. Comments please? You know you want to."

"Well, there’s a comparison between ‘black and twining hair’ and a ‘wild muscadine grape.’ Black hair is like a grape. I just don’t get how hair is like a grape, but maybe I read too much into things..."

"Maybe you need to be educated about muscadine grapes, then. Don’t think of just a single grape, think of a grapevine. Your hair twining in my hands like a grapevine twines. You see?"

Keagan took a moment to consider this. She admitted she wasn’t looking at the big picture. "Yes, I can see what you mean. I wasn’t seeing it that way. I often have a hard time with poetry."

"Maybe you should try hearing the whole poem, before you start critiquing it." Rudy’s voice carried with it a definite hint of teasing.

"Yes. Please continue."

Scuppernong brown, your --

"What kind of brown?"

"Scuppernong. It’s just a variety of muscadine grape. Or the name for the muscadine grapevine." Rudy resolved herself to the fact that Keagan would keep interrupting in spite of herself. It didn’t really bother her, though. She found her interest in the intricacies of the poem to be surprisingly alluring.

"Okay. Sorry, I did it again."

"That’s okay."

Scuppernong brown, your nipples will be full

Rudy felt Keagan giggle, but suprisingly, she had no comment for the line in its entirety.

Against my mouth. We will look through

Barred windows at night for the harvest moon.

Equinox soon will diminish the light.

Rudy leaned back further into Keagan’s embrace and felt her arms tighten slightly. She sighed with contentment, but felt excitement also.

Tell me, love, how to speed time now,

How to slow it then, when I call your name.

"I like it," said Keagan. Her mouth was inches away from Rudy’s neck, and she convinced herself to ignore this fact.

"Once I explained it to you."

"Thank goodness I have you to tell me these things."

"Without me you wouldn’t even have the poem."

"True enough."

Rudy let the book drop to the floor and turned around to face Keagan. Of course, when she did, she was faced with those eyes. They sat facing each other for a few seconds, before Keagan broke the silence. "It’s pretty late. I should go." She started to rise but Rudy’s hand stopped her. "You don’t have to leave so soon. I could read you another poem." After she said this, she leaned over closer to Keagan, so that their lips were only inches apart.

Keagan stared into suggestive green eyes. She wanted nothing more than to comply with Rudy’s suggestion. But she didn’t think they would end up just reading another poem and didn’t want to rush things. Nevertheless, when she felt her friend's lips meeting hers, she didn’t pull back. Rudy gently coaxed Keagan down onto her bed, exploring her body as they kissed. When they parted for air, Keagan panted. "So where’s the next poem?"

Rudy gave Keagan a shy look, and tried not to look as mortified as she felt. "Sorry I just attacked you."

"That’s all right." They still held each other, Rudy on top looking down at Keagan. She reached forward and brushed a strand of hair out of Keagan’s eyes. They both grinned out of recognition that this was what they both wanted. "But, remember," Keagan continued, "You don’t have sex on the first date."

"To tell you the truth, I’ve never...had sex."

"You’re kidding, right?"

Rudy grinned shyly and buried her head in Keagan’s chest. "I kid you not."

Keagan put her arms around Rudy and rubbed her back slowly. "But you’re so...so--"

"Flirtatious?"

"I just wouldn’t have thought you were."

Rudy laughed. "I just never met anyone I liked that much, to do that with, you know."

"I didn’t, either. But that didn’t stop me." Keagan rolled her eyes.

"What about Terry?"

"Just a crush. There’s a very definite distinction between a crush and love. It wasn’t clear to me back then."

"So what’s the difference?"

"Crushes go away, love doesn’t."

"Oh." Rudy found herself, for once, at a loss for words with Keagan.

"I have to go now." Keagan hoped she had inserted enough clues into her speech to clue Rudy in on what she was trying to say.

"How come? I’d really like to hear about these pictures you get in your head."

"If you’d like to do something tomorrow night, I could tell you."

"Are you asking me out on a date now?"

"Yep."

"I accept."

"That was quick."

"I don’t think much when it comes to you."

Keagan grinned. "You better start, then. How else will you fend off my advances?"

"What if I don’t want to?"

Keagan slowed her hand from its position on Rudy’s back. Soon, the massage ended entirely. Several things flashed through her mind as potential responses, but she couldn’t settle on one. "Sometimes we can’t always have what we want," she said. Like what I want right now. "I mean, you want to be sure, right?"

"Sure?" If Rudy had been thinking more clearly, she would have known what Keagan was asking. But, as was usually the case, her closeness was distracting.

"Well, since, you’ve never..."

Rudy laughed. "Oh, right." She refrained from telling Keagan she had never been more sure about anything, because she was afraid of scaring her off.

"I should probably go, then." Keagan sat up. She put her boots on and stood. Rudy gazed back at her with interest, but remained on the bed.

"I’ll drive you back."

"That’s all right. I’ll just walk."

"No you won’t." Rudy stood up. "It’s too late for you to walk. Besides, it’s raining. Look."

Keagan glanced out the window, and grunted with disgust. "Great. Parties and rain," she muttered.

"Hmm?"

"The two things I hate the most."

Rudy grinned and took her arm. "Next week I’m going to fix your hatred of parties. Tonight, I get to work on the rain. C’mon."

Keagan allowed a shy smile to appear as she gazed at Rudy. And she wondered why this younger, less experienced woman made her feel so nervous.

 

As Keagan got closer to her apartment, a comfortable silence settled between her and Rudy. With anyone else, it would have made her uncomfortable. She watched out the window as the rain began to fall a bit harder, not depressing her as much as it usually did. The side streets were pretty much abandoned at that time of night, making it peaceful. Shortly, they pulled into Keagan’s driveway and it was time for words.

"Strange that’s it raining in January." Keagan had enjoyed herself so much that evening that she didn’t know how to say goodbye.

"That doesn't happen very often."

"Yeah." Keagan made a definite internal effort to maintain complete control of the situation. If she couldn’t, it was almost certain that she would be inviting Rudy inside...for the night. And she wasn’t entirely certain that her friend would refuse. "Thanks for a fun evening." She looked deeply into Rudy’s eyes and smiled. There was the glow from a nearby streetlight and it highlighted her features, making them seem almost angelic.

"So, I’m okay as a date?"

The best I’ve ever had. "Yes."

Rudy grinned and leaned over for a goodnight kiss, but before she reached her destination, she hesitated. "Wait. I think we should do this right."

"And how would that be?"

Rudy opened the door to her car and got out, motioning for Keagan to follow her. Both women could feel the rain, as it pelted them softly. Keagan frowned. Rudy reacted to that by reaching over and pulling Keagan toward her. "I know you hate rain, but I know you like this." She reached up and brought Keagan’s head down to meet hers. Their lips met softly and sweetly, but passionately. When they parted, Rudy was surprised to see an almost gaping grin on her friend's. "What rain?"

Rudy laughed. "The rain that’s beginning to get us both sopping wet. And if I don’t leave soon, I’ll be too wet and cold to leave."

"And I’ll have to provide you with sanctuary for the night." Keagan’s arms were around her.

"Yes, which would mean my virtue would be compromised. We couldn’t have that." Rudy’s arms tightened around Keagan and she hugged her soundly.

"No, we couldn’t have that." Keagan hugged her back and placed a chaste kiss on her head. Taking a deep breath, she stepped back. "I’ll call you tomorrow."

"Okay." Rudy happily gazed back at Keagan, releasing her with reluctance, and returning to her car.

Keagan stood in the rain, getting increasingly drenched, until Rudy was out of sight. Then, she went inside and wondered how to get over her. Locking the door behind her, she considered why she always felt an odd relief when Rudy was gone. The relief didn’t stem from a lack of interest in Rudy. It was the exact opposite. Keagan had a difficult time dealing with feelings she had never had before and didn’t know how to voice. She draped her wet jacket over a chair in the kitchen and sighed with confusion. And I said I’d call her.

 

Keagan found herself sleeping in the next morning. Saturday was one of two days she had an opportunity to do this. She had barely opened her eyes when the phone rang. Snuggling deeper back into the covers, she tried to ignore it, but had neglected to turn the sound down on the answering machine. Soon, she was treated to Sean’s voice. "Hey, Keagan. Are you there? Are you up? I’ll give you some time, if you’re not." Groaning, Keagan reached over the edge of the bed and picked up the phone on the floor. "Hello."

"Not up yet?"

"I’m awake. Just not technically up." Keagan yawned and made no attempt to hide the fact.

"Why don’t you stop by later? I want to talk to you about grandma and that whole situation. We’ll chat."

Keagan was surprised at his request. "All right. I’ll be by around 1:00. How’s that?"

"See ya, then. Later."

As Keagan hung up the phone, she couldn’t help but wonder what he was up to. Sean almost never initiated the handling of family problems.

 

When Keagan arrived at Sean’s later, she wasn’t surprised to see that his friend, Spiccoli, was visiting. Sean and Spiccoli had been friends since high school, and although he was seemingly content to drift from place to place, and live off of other people, this fact never seemed to bother Sean. Keagan, however, held nothing but utter contempt for the man. And she didn’t appreciate the way he habitually used her brother, either. But Sean was a grown man and could make his own decisions. She stayed out of it.

"Hey." Keagan entered the living room, where Sean and Spiccoli were seated. She took a seat on a chair and noticed that his friend was drinking beer.

"Hey, Keagan, long time, no see. I’ve missed ya." Keagan didn’t have much of an opportunity to see Spiccoli much, due to his unpredictability.

"Good to see you." She lied.

Keagan turned to Sean. "How’s grandma?"

"Oh, she’s fine. How are things with you?"

"Are you still sneaking her vodka?"

"Where did that come from?" Sean's eyebrows crinkled into a frown.

"Sorry, but it’s a logical question don’t you think? And you did ask me to come over to discuss the situation, right?"

"Everything’s fine with that. Trust me. I just hadn’t seen you in awhile and wanted to visit"

 

"I see." Sean couldn’t ask his sister to come over just to chat, he had to make up a family crisis to draw her out. Keagan sighed.

"So, Keagan are you still writing a novel?" Spiccoli’s condescension wasn’t intentional but Keagan picked up on it. Keagan put a smile on her face, instead of the glare she wished she could project.

"Yep."

"Why so tight-lipped about it?"

Keagan laughed to herself. Because the few times I have mentioned it, I’ve gotten a combination of confused stares, inappropriate questions, and just plain ignorance, coupled with a complete disregard for me and the work I do. "It’s not complete."

"What’s the plot?" Sean asked.

"I told you before, I was having a bit of trouble with that." Keagan didn’t add that her last visit with Sean had hurt her feelings and she had no desire to bring up the subject of writing again. Often, she wasn’t sure if her feelings really were hurt, only that they ought to have been.

"Is it about, you know, women, being together?" Spiccoli knew about Keagan’s sexual orientation, and seemed tolerant, but never missed an opportunity to sneak the subject into a conversation.

"There are women characters, yes, but if you mean--"

"Any sex in it?"

"There are women characters, and yes, some of them have love relationships with each other." Keagan wondered why she was bothering to explain. She already knew what the response would be.

"Graphic stuff?" Spiccoli laughed. He didn’t mean to be lewd, but it came across that way to Keagan. Somehow, she always got the feeling that he saw her as a lesbian and not a person. And it really pissed her off.

"Only as it pertains to the plot." Keagan muttered this last statement under her breath, hoping the subject would be dropped. She felt as if she was in a battlefield and had to come up with a good defensive maneuver.

"Keagan, I don’t know why you worry so much about this writing thing. I know you. You’ll come up with something. Will you just take your time and quit dwelling on it?"

Keagan smiled tightly. The really strange thing about it, was that Sean thought he was being supportive with statements like these. And he was doing the exact opposite of what he intended. She actually snickered. "Your friend is the one who asked me about it, and I told you. What do you want me to do? Lie?"

"No, but if you can’t do it right now, so what? Forget about it for awhile!" Sean smiled over at Spiccoli, who nodded in agreement.

Keagan shook her head slowly and hid her rage. "Look, I don’t want you to try and fix it, I don’t want you to think I can’t do it, I don’t want your opinion, and I don’t want your approval. All I want is for you to tell me that you know I’ll get past this, and you know I can do it, that’s it!" She stood up and headed toward the door to the porch.

"Again my volatile sister...are you impressed? I used a big word!" Sean laughed.

"See ya." Keagan was out the door and heading to her car with a strange sense of deja vu. Hadn’t she done the very same thing about a week before? And I don’t have any intention of repeating it anytime soon...if ever.

 

When she got back to her apartment, Keagan noticed the answering machine flashing. There were two messages and she didn’t feel like hearing either one. Nevertheless, she hit the play button. The first one was from Joan. "Give me a call as soon as you get in. I need your help with grandma. Bye." Keagan grimaced. With all that had happened at Sean’s, she felt her temper beginning to flare. "Dammit! Can’t I have one peaceful week--" Keagan paused from her tirade as she heard the soft tones of Rudy’s voice. She was surprised, because she was supposed to call Rudy. "Hi. I know I was supposed to wait for you to call me, but I couldn’t. I’m not very good with delayed gratification. <laugh> Give me a call back if you want. It’s about 2:00 now. Bye."

Hearing her voice calmed Keagan. But she didn’t want to subject Rudy to her bad mood by going out with her that night. It hadn’t been that long since she had last seen Rudy and she was convinced she needed more time to get over it. "Might as well get it over with." Picking up the phone, she dialed Rudy’s number. After a few rings, she was treated to the sound of Rudy’s voice. "Hello. Whitman-Thoreau residence."

"Courtney’s last name is Thoreau?" Keagan realized she hadn’t even announced herself.

"Hi, Keagan." Rudy smiled. "Nope, I just thought it sounded cool. But, probably, only English major types, such as yourself, will get it."

Keagan laughed. "Right." Keagan suddenly felt a pain in her chest at having to stand Rudy up. But I can’t. Not tonight.

"Do you want to do something tonight?"

"Um, I don’t think so."

"Oh." Rudy tried not to let the disappointment show in her voice. "Anything wrong?"

"No, no. Nothing wrong. I just have to study."

"On a Saturday night? Am I being stood up?" Rudy said it lightheartedly, but inside she felt crushed.

"I just can’t tonight, Rudy. I’m sorry. Can I call you tomorrow?" Keagan desperately wanted to extricate herself from the conversation, but Rudy made it difficult.

"Sure. See you later, then." Rudy held back a sigh.

"Okay. Bye." Keagan quickly hung up before she changed her mind. She wondered why her heart felt so heavy, but not for long.

 

Later that night, after a day filled with writing a paper and studying for grammar, Keagan decided to venture out to the bar. She needed to talk with a friend and hoped Cody would be there. Of course, there was also the chance that she would run into Rudy, but she pushed that possibility from her mind. As she stepped inside, she heaved a relieved sigh. There was Cody at the bar, and no sign of Rudy. Allowing herself a small grin, her heartbeat slowed a bit from its earlier nervousness, and she walked down to the end of the bar and sat down. In a few seconds, Cody was there. "The usual."

Cody came back with a rum and coke and regarded her friend with a mischievous smile. "Well, well, well, trouble in paradise? I’m surprised you’re not here with--"

Keagan took a long sip. "Don’t."

"You and Rudy seemed to be getting along fine last night."

Keagan finished her drink and motioned for another one. "That’s the problem."

Cody came back with a second drink. "Okay, girl, you’re going to tell me right now, why that’s a problem."

"It’s too intense, you know? I need a bit of superficiality."

Cody frowned. "You need what?"

"Let me try to explain. I get really nervous around Rudy. My heart starts beating faster, my palms get sweaty, and I start feeling things I’ve never felt with anyone before. I just can’t deal with this."

"Then you can’t deal with the fact that you’re falling in love with her."

"No way. I’m not going there."

Cody leaned over and grasped Keagan’s chin gently, looking her straight in the eye. "I’ve got news for you. You’re already there. Deal with it." She grinned devilishly.

"I hate when you do that."

"What?" Cody’s look was all innocence.

"Get that smug look on your face that says, ‘I’m older, I’m wiser, I know all.’"

"I don’t know all. Just most!"

Keagan chuckled. "Then maybe you can advise me. I stood her up tonight. I mean, I canceled our date. I guess that was wrong, huh?" Keagan looked expectantly at Cody, hoping for some guidance.

"Sometimes you are honestly like a babe in the woods, Keag! Yes...that was wrong. But you may get a chance to make it right sooner than you think."

"What? Why?" Keagan looked at the door and spotted Rudy, Eileen, and Tate coming in the door. "Oh, shit! If she sees me, she’s going to think...hide me!" Keagan put her head down on the bar as far as it would go, hoping Rudy and her friends would go to the far side of the bar and she could sneak out. Before she knew it, though, a familiar scent was made itself known to her senses. "You obnoxious drunk," the voice said. "And this early in the evening. You should be ashamed. Get your head up off that bar, before you get thrown out." Rudy smiled broadly at Keagan, trying to hold back a laugh.

Keagan, realizing she was caught, slowly brought her head back up and looked at her tormentor. "Hi, La Roux." Keagan raised her eyebrows and tried to put on her best innocent face. It wasn’t working.

"Don’t you ‘Hi, La Roux,’ me, Keagan Donovan. You stand me up and then come to the bar. Ha!" She focused her green eyes on Keagan with purpose and enjoyed seeing her squirm.

"What’s a nice girl like you doing in a place like this, anyway?"

"For starters, I thought maybe I’d try to find a woman who won’t cancel on me."

Char, who had been sitting nearby, and listening surreptitiously to the proceedings, recognized her cue. Leaning over toward Rudy, she gazed at her with intent. "I’ve been told I’m a great date. And I never cancel." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

To Keagan’s surprise, Rudy turned away from her and regarded Char. "Thanks, Char. But I enjoy a good challenge and I think I’ve found it." She smiled at Char, who snickered and returned to her drink.

"Is that what I am to you? A challenge?"

Rudy walked right up to Keagan, who was still seated at the bar. She stood between her legs, which were parted from sitting on the stool. For once, she didn’t have to look up at Keagan. Their faces only inches apart, Rudy finally spoke. "I don’t think you are in any position to ask questions."

"I guess not." Keagan tried not to be affected by her nearness, but it didn't work. Rudy looked very good. She had on black button-fly jeans and a dark green sweater that brought out the light red tint to her hair. She wore her hair down and it flowed around her shoulders, to rest above her breasts. When Keagan realized she had been staring, she looked back into her eyes and shrugged. "I, um--" Not knowing what to say, she gave up and stared at the floor.

"You like what you see?"

Keagan looked back up, mesmerized. "Yes."

"Too bad. You’re going to have to work for it this time." Giving Keagan a last, long, lingering smile, she turned away and went to join her friends, who were seated at a table.

Keagan watched her walk away, her mouth gaping open. She was used to being the pursued. Now, she had to do the hunting. She wasn’t all together sure she liked that prospect.

"Honey, you better shut your mouth. That’s starting to look unbecoming."

Keagan looked up at Cody with shock, and then as things began to register again, she closed her mouth and turned around toward the bar. Downing the rest of her drink, she rolled her eyes. "Cody, I believe I’ve just gotten a taste of my own medicine, as they say. And I don’t like it one bit."

"That one’s a spitfire, she is."

"And then some."

Keagan stewed quietly for awhile, while Cody waited on some of the other patrons. She noticed Jill and her entourage heading in the door and groaned. Right behind them, came Danielle, who made an immediate beeline for Rudy. Keagan ground her teeth together in irritation.

This is turning out to be a lovely evening. Grimly, she reflected on the fact that all she had to do was keep her date with Rudy and she wouldn’t be a part of this turmoil. Presently, Cody came back with a new drink for her friend. "Are you going to sit there and stew all night or are you gonna go get your woman?"

Keagan glared at her. "She’s not ‘my woman.’" She returned her gaze to Dani, who was now seated next to Rudy and her friends.

"Okay, fine. I’m dropping it."

"Cody, do you think I intentionally seek out conflict?"

"Yes! And you’re damn good at it, too!"

"Gee, thanks."

"You’ll get only the truth from me."

"I know." Keagan smirked. "That’s why I should quit talking to you."

"No, that’s why you’ll keep talking to me and you know it." Cody flashed her a smile and went to the other end of the bar to take an order.

Keagan was happy to return to her brooding self, and sighed heavily when she spotted Milligan coming over. "You, too? Can’t everyone just leave me alone?"

Milligan brought her hands up and mimicked a cat, complete with claws and beady eyes. "MEOW! What’s wrong with you? That chick, Dani, moving in on your territory?"

Keagan put her head down on the bar with a sigh. When would the torture end?

"I got just the way to get revenge. Pool. You and me against, uh, blondie, what’s her name--"

"RUDY."

"Yeah, Rudy. Against Rudy and Dani. We could beat the pants off of ‘em! How about it?" Keagan didn’t see it, but Milligan motioned to Jackie Daniels, with a nod of her head. Jackie began making her way over to Rudy’s table.

"Yeah, we’ll make that little tramp pay for stealin’ your woman."

"She is not ‘my woman.’" Keagan groaned in misery. When would be a good time to escape unnoticed?

"Not anymore. We’ve been watching...everything. We know exactly what’s going on, me and the girls." As Keagan lifted her head, she looked over to the women seated next to the pool table. There sat Sue, Jen, Gretchen, and Jackie who had just rejoined them. When they saw Keagan glancing over, they all gave her sympathetic looks.

"This is like some kind of grotesque nightmare. I knew there was another reason for me not wanting a girlfriend, besides my brooding disposition and loner tendencies."

"And what’s that?"

"The fact that all of you seem to be along for the ride, too!"

Milligan appeared to consider this. "Yeah. How can we resist? It’s the classic, ’opposites attract’, thing, you know? The sweet, young, inexperienced, thing finds herself strangely drawn to the tall, dark, brooding, older woman hardened by time and too many failed relationships!"

"I haven’t had that many relationships. And I’m only three years older than she is. Sheesh!" Keagan finally raised her head up wondering if she ought to be offended.

Milligan smiled and took her arm. "C’mon, let’s play pool." For some reason, Keagan allowed Milligan to drag her over to the table where Jackie Daniels was standing next to Dani and Rudy. She told herself it wasn’t because she had a desire to be near Rudy.

"All right, let’s get this over with." Keagan couldn’t help but deliver a glare in the direction of Dani. Rudy observed this with interest.

"Keagan, you don’t sound very enthusiastic," said Dani.

"I just agreed to play to help out my friend."

"You’re not here because of the scenery?" Dani smiled at Keagan, in an attempt to convey that she knew exactly why she was there.

"Sorry. You’re not my type." Keagan grinned tightly.

"Oh, I know what your ‘type’ is." Dani threw a glance in Rudy’s direction. Rudy remained silent, watching the proceedings. She didn’t think it would be a good idea to interrupt the two.

"Probably ‘cause it’s the same as yours."

"Maybe, but I follow through with my dates. Can you say the same for yourself?"

Keagan flashed a questioning look at Rudy. Surely she hadn’t told Dani about the date cancellation. She wasn’t the type to succumb to bar gossip, was she? She had been wrong before about other people. What made Rudy any different? Rudy shook her head slowly to tell Keagan that she hadn’t said anything. Against her better judgment, she believed her, but there was still a nagging doubt in her mind.

"Why don’t you sheath those claws before you scratch somebody." At this, Rudy laughed out loud, which caused Keagan to laugh, too. But Dani was not amused.

"Why don’t we settle this with a game?"

"I don’t think so." Keagan changed her mind, quickly, upon realizing that Dani wanted to "fight" her for Rudy. She wasn’t into that kind of thing. In fact, she despised that kind of thinking and everything it stood for. If Dani wasn’t careful, Keagan was prepared to tell her exactly why.

"How about, the winner gets Rudy?"

"Excuse me?" Rudy recognized her cue to enter the conversation. This is starting to get way out of control, she thought.

Keagan walked over to where Dani was standing, so that their faces were mere inches apart. She tried with great effort to control the ire she was feeling. "Don’t ever suggest anything like that, even jokingly, ever again. Got it?"

Dani would not be defeated so easily. "Don’t play the intimidation card with me, Keagan. I know a lot about you. Remember, Terry? I went out with her last week and got an earful about you. You’re all talk and no action, right?"

"Feel like testing me?"

"I don’t think you’re worth it." With that, she stepped back, and snickering, went over to join Jill and the entourage.

Keagan exhaled strongly and glanced over at Rudy, who was speechless. Milligan, who decided she didn’t want to face her friend’s wrath, had made a hasty retreat a few seconds before.

"Keagan, Jackie told me it was you and me against Milligan and Dani. It wasn’t?"

Keagan laughed, partly to relieve the tension she felt and partly because it was funny. "No, it wasn’t."

"So, Milligan and Jackie set this whole thing up as some kind of competition?"

"Looks like it."

"I suppose they thought they were helping you?"

"Yes. They don’t seem to think I can handle you." Blue eyes gazed cautiously into green ones that were beginning to twinkle.

"I’ve been trying to get you to handle me since we met." Rudy giggled, almost shyly. She couldn’t help it that she had always been an obnoxious flirt.

"So I still have a chance at handling you?"

"Not if you keep running away from me." Rudy reached over and took Keagan’s sleeve, maneuvering her into a nearby booth. Their conversation was getting too personal to take place at the pool table. Not with all the nosey bar-types lurking around in the shadows. When they were seated, she waited for Keagan to speak. After about ten seconds, she realized that she was going to have to reinitiate talk, because Keagan wasn’t going to. Although she often found it frustrating dealing with her, there was simply no place else she’d rather be or anyone she’d rather be with. Somewhere along the line, the deep attraction that she felt for Keagan from the moment she laid eyes on her, had turned into something more profound. Rudy realized that she was falling in love with her, and probably already had. And although now probably wouldn’t be the best time to discuss that, it would be a good time to clear the air about Danielle. If she knew Keagan, she was probably still wondering and stewing about it. "You know I didn’t say anything about you canceling our date, right?"

"Then why did she imply it so strongly?"

Rudy shook her head a little in exasperation. "I’m supposed to be the inexperienced one, here. But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist or even someone with as little experience as me to pick up on the grapevine at this bar. A lot of these women are gossips, and I know this is going to surprise you, they actually like it when someone’s having a hard time with a date. Then they can chatter about it all night and it diverts attention from themselves. You know, Char may come on pretty strong sometimes, but I don’t fear that she’s talking about me behind my back." Rudy directed a warm smile toward Keagan, who was listening intently, unabashedly gazing into those verdant eyes.

"How can you be so sure?"

"I can read people. I suspect, actually, that Char is just a softy inside and just needs someone to come along and respond to that."

Keagan allowed a small grin to surface. "Someone like you."

"I’ve already got it kind of bad for this other chick. She’s dark, she’s brooding, she’s infuriating, but I rather like her."

"Sounds like a real loser to me. Not worth your time." Inside, Keagan hoped Rudy would refute what she said, but a part of her felt more comfortable pushing her away than trying to get her to stay. She knew enough to know how abnormal that was. She just didn’t know why or how to change it.

"Oh, she’s definitely worth my time. She’s a very talented writer, she’s into poetry, she’s a good dancer, not to mention a fantastic kisser."

"So what are you sittin’ here with me for?" Keagan’s quip broke the tension and they both laughed.

"I can’t believe this!" Rudy glared at Keagan.

"What?" Keagan’s look was all innocence.

"I said you would have to work for it this time, and here I am giving you the out again. Not fair." Rudy folded her arms and feigned indignation.

For Keagan it was a sheepish look. Then she recalled just who it was she was dealing with and turned her look to a smug one. "That’s just how irresistible I am. All the women are the same, you know. They can’t help themselves."

"Oh, yeah, they’re all lined up at the door trying to get to you. It’s gonna get ugly before it gets better." Rudy smiled with relief. She had finally brought the real Keagan out again. The problem was making sure she stayed there.

"You might have to hide me."

"You could hide in my bedroom." If the lighting in the bar had been better, Rudy might have seen the blush that colored her face.

"And why would I want to do that?"

"Fringe benefits."

"Such as?"

"Well, first of all, you get to sleep with me. And, I did say sleep, so don’t get any ideas...you know I’m not that kind of girl."

"I know, I know. I wonder why I stick around."

Rudy lowered her voice a bit. "Because all this teasing and taunting will make it that much better when I finally give in."

Once again, Keagan was amazed at Rudy’s ability to affect her with mere words. Not being able to resist any longer, Keagan leaned over the table, until their lips met gently. It wasn’t a kiss filled with passion, but was meant to reassure. As Rudy brought her hands up to Keagan’s face, to prolong the kiss a bit, the two of them heard cheering and clapping. Where it was coming from, they weren’t really sure, being more occupied with each other at that moment. When they parted, however, Rudy chuckled softly. Keagan gave one last look to Rudy and then her head was down on the table again...for the second...or was it the third time that evening? She had lost count. Milligan, Gretchen, and the rest of the gang were cheering elatedly. Keagan covered up her head with her arms and whined. "Why me? Why me?"

Rudy just continued to laugh.

 

Continued...Part 4


Return to The Bard's Corner