Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess and all other associated with the television series of the same name are owned by MCA/ Universal Pictures. This is a work of fan fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.

Subtext: I guess with my writing so far we'll just quit calling it subtext and call it maintext. Yes they are in love with each other.

Sex: None

Violence: Yes.

Language: Mild

Spoilers:

Other: Part Fifty-one in the series "Raising Melosa". Takes place right after "These Dreams"

 

The Return

By T.Novan

 

I bolted upright as the scream pierced through the air. Gabrielle was shaking and crying in her sleep. I pulled her into my arms. "Hey love, come on wake up. It’s okay." I kissed the top of her head as her eyes opened and she threw her arms around my neck.

"Oh Gods it was only a dream…." She cried as she held onto me. "Thank the Gods it was only a dream…."

"Yes sweetheart just a dream, just a bad dream. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No!" She sat up and looked at me running her hands over my face and my body. She seemed to be making sure I was whole and real. "The children, I have to see the children."

She climbed out of bed and threw on a robe. I quickly followed her taking her by the arm at the door. "Ri, honey it’s the middle of the night. The kids are fine"

"Xe please I just need to see them."

"All right."

We went into Kai’s room first. He rolled over opening a weary eye as Ri sat on his bed. "Mom? What’s wrong?"

"Nothing sweetheart nothing, everything is fine now. Go back to sleep." She brushed his hair back as he closed his eyes and rolled back over. She kissed him on the forehead then we left his room for the girl’s room.

She stepped between their beds and knelt down. She ran her fingers through their hair. "My girls. Gods I love you so much. Thank you for being here." She gave them each a soft kiss. They continued to sleep as we left their room.

"Ri are you okay?"

"I am now." She wrapped her arms around my waist. "Xena…."

"Hmm…." I massaged her back as I kissed the top of her head.

"Mel is moving home. Tomorrow."

"Ri what’s wrong?"

"I want my family together and complete. I’ll talk to her. I want her home."

"Okay, okay." I guided her back to our room. I could tell she was really upset by this dream. "Really bad one huh?"

"You have no idea." She slipped into bed. "It was by far the worst dream I have ever had."

I got into bed and opened my arms to her. She rolled into them immediately, shivering slightly as she did. "I’m sorry you had that dream Ri." I whispered as I kissed the back of her head. "If you want to tell me about it…."

"No I’d really just prefer to forget it."

"If there’s anything I can do just let me know."

"Actually," She rolled over, slipping her hand under my sleeping gown. "There is."

 

 

Ri actually beat me out of bed. I don’t know what came over her last night, but I grinned as I stretched. Still, the thought of a dream that bothered her that much needed to be talked about. She was positively possessed last night as we made love. She just couldn’t seem to get enough. I stretched again as I tossed the covers back and grabbed my robe.

As I made my way into the main room I was surprised that the house seemed to be empty. No kids, no wife, no one. I went into the kitchen where I found my morning meal and a note.

Xe,

Took the kids to the lake. Decided to let you sleep. You seemed pretty tired last night.

I smiled as I sipped my tea and continued reading. Tired was an understatement.

I needed to spend some time with the kids. When you get moving around, come down and join us.

Love,

Ri

I took a little bread and cheese for my morning meal and headed back to get dressed. I straightened our room up, making the bed before I left to go to the lake. As I sat down on the bed to put my boots on something shiny caught my eye. I got to my knees and reached under the bed. Gripping the object I rose to examine it in the morning light. Moving to the window I held it up for a better look.

"I’ll be damned. No wonder she’s having bad dreams." I tucked the talisman in my waist pouch and headed for the lake.

I found her there with all the kids. Mel and Kai were skipping stones across the water as Kessa and Rosa sat with Ri reading a scroll. I smiled as I watched them. The talisman bothered me. I wondered what she was doing back in our life and how in the Tartarus she got into our home.

"Ri…." I called as I moved to them. She turned her head, giving me a small wave as she stood to meet me.

"Well good morning sleepyhead. We wondered if you were going to get up today." She wrapped her arms around me as she leaned up firmly planting herself on my neck.

"I was sort of worn out." I grinned as I hugged her close.

"Aww did I get to you?"

"In the sweetest of ways my love. Listen," I dug the talisman out of the pouch. "Does this look familiar to you?"

She took the piece, giving it a good hard look. "It looks familiar, but I can’t place it."

"Think back to…oh say…about twelve seasons ago. A certain house guest we had for a while…."

"Theran?"

"Umm-hmm...It’s her seal."

"Where did this come from?"

"Under our bed."

"Our bed? How did it get there?"

"I have no idea. Look at the other side."

She flipped it over. "What is it?"

"A charm of sorts. Designed to cause bad dreams. It was on your side of the bed."

"My side of the bed? Xena what is going on?"

My head snapped up at the sound of her voice.

"I needed to know Gabrielle." I watched as she came walking out of the woods. "I needed to know your worst nightmare."

"Theran what in the name of Tartarus…." I growled as I advanced.

"Ah, ah ah….Xena be nice. Is that anyway to greet an old friend?"

"Old yes. Friend no." I moved a little closer to her. "What are you doing tampering with Gabrielle’s dreamscape?"

"I am merely trying to find out what she fears most."

Gabrielle stormed past me. She drew close to Theran and growled, "You interfered with my dreams? You made me dream those horrible things? Why?"

"I was curious."

"Curious? Curious? No Theran that dream last night wasn’t curious. That was cruel. You made me believe I had lost everything that I loved."

"Gabrielle you know me well enough to know I have a reason for everything."

"Care to explain it to me?" Ri growled as she stood face to face with her.

"No." She smiled as she took a step closer to Ri. "Gabrielle you trusted me once. Trust me again." I watched as she removed her gloves and brushed her fingertips across Ri face.

"All right Theran that’s enough! Get away from my wife." I took Ri by the arm pulling her close to me and away from Theran’s touch. I know what she is capable of with that touch.

"Xena relax. I am here only to help."

"Help with what?" Ri asked as she wrapped her arm around my waist.

"Gabrielle you are about to have a great challenge. There are forces at work to destroy the amazons. They know the best way to do that is to destroy you. That in turn would not only destroy the nation, but," She looked to me as she addressed Ri. "Xena as well."

"What forces?" I narrowed my gaze at her. "Who wants to hurt Ri?"

"Nothing you can fight with a sword Xena. This kind of fight is better left to someone of my kind. I’m here to protect Gabrielle. I won’t let any harm come to her."

Gabrielle looked to me as she tightened her hold on me. "Theran who sent you?" She asked as she turned back to the woman before us.

"No one sent me Gabrielle. I am here of my own accord, because I want to be. Because you need me to be."

"I don’t like this one damn bit!" I couldn’t help but growl as I looked to Theran, who was replacing her gloves.

"Well it’s really very simple Xena. Either I stay or Gabrielle dies. Your choice."

"Then there isn’t really a choice to be had, is there? You know I won’t send you away if what you say is true."

"Oh it’s true Xena. Gabrielle is in great danger. I’m going to make sure she is kept safe. It’s a shame you can’t do it." She grinned at me as she turned and walked away.

I felt myself shake as the desire to choke her ran rampant through my body. Ri stoked my back as she tightened her hold on my hand. "Easy love. You know how she is. She loves to get a rise out of you."

"She’s got it." I growled as I stared at her retreating form. "I hate that bitch."

"I know Warrior, I know. Let’s just try to find out what is going on."

I wrapped my arms around her, holding her as close as I could. "Absolutely. I want her out of our lives as quickly a possible." Kissing her on the top of the head, I closed my eyes against the frustration and anger I was feeling.

 

 

I sat quietly at the table as we had the evening meal. Theran sat at the table laughing and talking with the kids. I wanted her out of my home. I wanted her away from my wife and my children.

"By the way Mel," Theran grinned at me first before she turned back to Mel. "I brought you a couple of gifts from Aphrodite."

"Really? What?" Mel smiled as she sat up waiting to be told about her gifts.

"No." I growled as I stood up. "No Mel. Gifts from the Gods always come with a price. I won’t allow you to accept them."

"Mother…."

"No Mel. This conversation is over. Don’t push me."

"Xe…."

"Damn it Ri I said no! Why is everyone in this family questioning me tonight!" I pushed my chair to the table, probably a little harder than need be and left the house.

Outside, I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves. My head hurt and my body ached from the stress. I heard the door open and close. Her steps were so much a part of my soul I could feel myself relaxing, just knowing that she was coming to me.

"Xe what’s wrong?" She stood behind me just a little rubbing small circles on my back.

I drew a beep breath. "I don’t like the fact that there is a threat to you and apparently there isn’t a Gods be damned thing I can do about it."

"Oh love," She placed her arms around my waist and laid her head on my back. "You don’t know that. We don’t even know for sure what is going on. Besides, you know how Theran is. She enjoys the chance to get to you. She does it quite on purpose."

I hadn’t heard her come out. Her voice was a surprise to us both. "Well a girl has to have some fun."

That did it. I turned to her, drawing back my fist. Before I could make the connection I saw the blue bolt, then I felt myself flying from the porch and crashing to the ground.

"Xena!" Ri called as she moved to my side and knelt down pulling me into her arms. My entire body refused to move. "Damnit Theran what did you do?" She yelled as she ran her hand over my face.

"Protected myself. She’ll be all right in a few moments."

I felt Ri holding me and rocking me. I couldn’t speak or see. My entire body tingled, I couldn’t move my arms or legs. "Xe…I’ve got you love. Just relax. You’ll be okay." Ri whispered as she continued to hold me.

 

TBC…

 


Return to The Bard's Corner