Warlord Daze

by Katrina


The following is a bit of alternative fiction based on certain characters from the Xenaverse. It is not meant to infringe on anyone else's rights. If you don't agree or disapprove, please go read something else.

Xex Alert: Oh Boy Is There. .This is a Prurient Piece with a Bit of Kink (If you hear the crack of the whip then you'll be in the neighborhood) Proceed at your own risk. :)

Remember, this is all meant in fun!


Xena spent no time dallying, though she yearned to take advantage of the day of rest, whisk Gabrielle away on Argo, find a nice shady spot and seduce the young woman. Instead, to prevent Colchak from changing his mind, they spent what was left of the daylight hours selecting Xena's warriors. They roamed the camp while the comely warlord hand picked the hundred and fifty individuals to be her soldiers. The raven haired woman had plenty of time, over the course of her stay, to determine the worthies from the crowd and she used that knowledge now to create a core group of people that would eventually lead, though they didn't know it yet, one of the biggest armies she'd ever assembled. There were more women in the camp than Gabrielle had suspected and Xena chose quite a few of them. The warlord wanted people who could think their way around a situation, not just fight. She wanted people who were, within reason (considering their current employment), somewhat reliable and honest. Xena wanted people who would be loyal to her and her alone, until she told them otherwise.

Apparently the do not disturb clause only applied to warlords, because Xena strode imperiously into the tents, usually without a hint of a warning. There were plenty of startled lovers, some of whom were picked at the same time, and Gabrielle and Eponin soon learned how to stop the blushes they experienced during the foray. At different times, the brilliant warlord had Gabrielle make a special note of the individuals she intended to have act in various positions of responsibilities within the core group. Xena even selected a few persons, whom she'd not considered before, because they were out on the practice field on this day of rest. To her that indicated a dedication that she expected they would need.

Around the middle of their unusual excursion, (by that time there was quite a crowd forming around the command tent) Xena had Gabrielle hand over the directions to Eponin for how, when and where she wanted these new people located, with the intention of having the Amazon carry it out. Most of the selected were to get their gear together that day and move into the tents closest to Xena's (but not too close, just where she could keep an eye on everyone). The individuals supplanted in those other tents would simply have to find a new home.

Gabrielle didn't expect to see the Amazon again that day, so she also bade her get some food and a little rest when she had a chance. Eponin smiled gratefully and bowed to her Queen, then she made off to conduct her new duty. Gabrielle, on the other hand, continued her scribing duties with no real pause, not even for a snack. Once Xena made up her mind, she determined to see it through, as quickly as possible. So much for rest day.

There was a part of Gabrielle that wondered if Xena was doing this just because she'd had to get up early to deal with the other two warlords. She decided, however, that it was unlikely and an unworthy thought. Still, the strawberry blonde was grateful that she'd done all that tromping around in the wilderness with Xena previously. Endurance had become her middle name, and she needed it too keep up with the Warrior Princess.

In her usual uncanny style, Xena's timing was perfect. Their final round led them back to her tent, where one hundred and fifty plus people were waiting to hear from their new leader. Gabrielle watched in fascination as Xena took to the stand, which seemed to have appeared out of nowhere (although it probably had been there earlier and she'd just not noticed it). The redhead felt a thrill of lust as she watched the warrior's backside ascend up the small steps and she savored it. There was no end to the wonder she felt now that Xena was her lover. Gabrielle wished she weren't so tired. It had been a long and emotionally trying day for her. Still, when Xena turned and signaled her up the stairs, she followed and she took her place behind and besides the warlord.

It was here that Gabrielle learned something new about Xena and about herself. What she learned was this: when it came to orating, she was a babe in the woods (or at least felt that way right at the moment). The only reason she didn't stare in slack jawed fascination was the deep training which placed the mask of impassivity firmly upon her face. Xena's resonant voice filled the air with a rich vocabulary and virtuosity Gabrielle hadn't known the warrior possessed. Her heart felt a little wrench. All this time. All this time, in her arrogance, she'd said, "I'm the bard. I do the talking, you do the fighting." Gods. She should have realized. Xena had led troops by the thousands. Surely it wasn't based on good looks alone (but if anyone could do it, Xena could). But why hadn't the strawberry blonde understood before, why no clue?

Her mind scanned their history together and came to one conclusion. Xena chose the silence. The blue eyed, dark haired warrior chose the role that Gabrielle had assigned her.

Why?

Then, gazing out at rapt faces, Gabrielle knew.

It was safer.

There was power in storytelling, in orating. The bard knew this from personal experience. Gabrielle recognized the sensation of using a tool and talent successfully, especially now. She'd known the thrill from the first time she'd picked up the quill, the first story she told. How many times had she used her voice to sway people and had it work? More times than she could count. Sure not every time. No one can be perfect at something every time, even Xena. But there was a vibrancy to the (Gods) *art* of speaking, that could be unparalleled. (That explanation she'd conjured up about Xena was finding more and more evidence in its favor.)

Gabrielle asked herself. What if you had the power to influence with your voice alone and you had the charisma to back it up? What if you added a mind so quick, it could outthink the Gods, plus (hard gained) experience at leading people? What if you were someone so wounded you were afraid you might use your gifts for the wrong reason or you knew/believed that you had? Would *you* talk a lot?

No.

Her answer was a whisper in the silence of her heart.

If it would have served any purpose besides hurting herself, Gabrielle might have wallowed in guilt about her stupidity. But she wasn't that kind of woman, never had been. Oh she felt guilt, but she knew the cure. If you feel guilty about something, you set what you can right. Simple as that. So she never lingered where she didn't have to. But it did make her want to do an assessment of herself, to ask about what it was that made her valuable to their partnership. For that was what she'd thought they'd had. But this discovery did not mean *she* wasn't valuable, or that their experiences together were invalid. It just meant some of her assumptions about Xena were wrong.

Just as some of Xena's assumptions about her had been. Xena had adjusted. The bard could adjust, and still be a great storyteller. This life wasn't a competition, though some people lived their lives that way. To Gabrielle's mind, there was room for everybody. Her mind flashed on the earlier events of the day, and she thought, with antipathy, of the man whose arm she twisted. Well, almost everybody.

What this meant, in the long trail of thought that wound its way around Gabrielle's head, was there was no reason for the red head to get all hot and bothered because Xena demonstrated those "many skills," she spoke so modestly (usually) of. Instead it was cause for celebration. They had something in common; well, another thing.

Gabrielle grinned inside herself. Her mind juggled these thoughts with agility and she realized she enjoyed learning this new thing about Xena. It takes time to get to know a person all the way and the fair skinned woman hoped to spend her whole life and eternity unraveling and reveling in the mystery of Xena. The warrior was, after all, the favorite subject of Gabrielle's thoughts. She gazed appreciatively at the fine womanly form in front of her, shivering as a sharp point of desire rippled in her (Well, maybe she wasn't too tired). There was at least one plus to this whole slave thing, the view was wonderful.

Gabrielle's mind had drifted to such a lovely subject that she wasn't aware that Xena had finished speaking until she heard the surge of a group shout burst from the lungs of all who had been called on by the Warrior Princess (terribly rude, but she'd get Xena to tell her what she'd said. She, herself, had every intention of telling *all* to the warrior. Why not, she always did anyway. Gabrielle had to grin at herself at that one. Some things weren't going to change.) "Xena, Xena, Xena." (Gabrielle shook her head with a grin. You'd think they'd come up with a new chant or something.)

The bard watched as Xena drunk in the audience response and reflected it back at them with an electrifying intensity, even pausing to bequeath Gabrielle a breathtaking and scintillating smile . It was an intoxicating sight that caused the bard's heart to pound hard in her chest and added yet another scare to Gabrielle's list of things to worry about. (Boy that list was sure accumulating fast.) She strove to relax, but felt the tingle of her response (and she'd had a lot of tingles today) roll down through her toes.

At least the warrior wasn't waving something bloody. . .this time. Gabrielle wondered what would happen if Xena did. Would the she be able to resist the judgment she'd felt the last time, when they'd been battling the Horde? How could she respect and keep her own beliefs, yet help Xena? There was so much that had changed in her already. It bore thinking about for it was a weighty problem and one she had to deal with. Soon. But now, the red head had to set the issue in the back of her mind. The warlord needed her.


10 | 11 | 13


ŠAugust 1997