Warlord Daze

by Katrina


The following is a bit of alternative fiction based on certain characters from the Xenaverse. It is not meant to infringe on anyone else's rights. If you don't agree or disapprove, please go read something else.

Xex Alert: Oh Boy Is There. .This is a Prurient Piece with a Bit of Kink (If you hear the crack of the whip then you'll be in the neighborhood) Proceed at your own risk. :)

Remember, this is all meant in fun!


For someone who was cradling her lover tenderly in the crook of her arm, Xena managed to be the meanest, toughest, most unrelenting, demanding, and ruthless person anyone, including Gabrielle, in that tent had ever met. Gabrielle wasn't sitting idly in her lover's arms either. She was scribing as fast as her fingers could go (and by darn if that wasn't pretty quick). She'd already finished three notes to three villages demanding, along with threat of dire (and graphically painful) consequences, the instant surrender to Xena's banner and a "tithe" of men and fortune (though not as much as Xena used to demand in the past. The villages wouldn't starve over the winter, nor would they lose every man to her army). At first Gabrielle hesitated, then after a reminding glance from her lover, the bard set to putting every word Xena deemed as important to her scrolls. By the time the nooning meal arrived, along with her taste tester, Xena was in (almost) good spirits again.

The man was nervous. Xena didn't know what Nisus told him, but the muscular brunette looked more scared than a mouse cornered by a cat. The warlord managed an evil smile of welcome and waved him over. He set the tray carefully on the table. Gabrielle got up out of Xena's lap without having to be told. She set about slicing the meat, pouring the wine into a small container, selecting items for the man to eat. Then she handed the plate over to the individual. His knees were shaking and he paused. Xena stared, deliberately, until he realized he was supposed to act. He took his first bite and his eyes widened. It was good. He sipped his wine and nodded. It wasn't bad either. He scarfed down the rest, nodding and smiling. Much Better than he thought. He was grinning by the time he was done. Two weeks of this? He could handle it.

Xena made a mental note to poison one of her meals. Nothing deadly, just something to make him appreciate the danger a little more. She smiled sweetly at Gabrielle who handed the warlord a plate with a warm smile of her own. Gabrielle made a mental note to thank the cook for a meal well done and prepared her own plate. The rest could eat in the mess tent.

After lunch, Xena had Gabrielle running a bunch of errands through the camp, setting up meetings, practice times, coordinating efforts. Xena went about meeting her own agenda, which meant dealing with Nisus. She didn't want a repeat of what happened with Colchak.

Nisus was not in his tent. He wasn't at the infirmary. He wasn't outside of camp either. The warlord was starting to get concerned.

Harrell, in the meantime, was having the same problem finding Xena. She was nowhere to be found, but he lucked out and found her favorite (the alternative, if he couldn't find the warlord). He nervously handed the sealed scroll to Gabrielle, bowed and then walked serenely away. When he was made the curve of a corner, where he thought he couldn't be seen, he whooped with joy and started running, making his way to freedom.

At the sound of sheer happiness, Gabrielle looked quizzical and shrugged. Apparently the scroll held good news? It was sealed, and he had said to give it to Xena. Gabrielle debated the importance of delivering the scroll versus visiting the cooks and seeing how Evania was faring. Evania first.

The cooks were already busy cooking and planning the next meal. The bard did as she promised herself and thanked them. Evania's caretaker beamed. That had been one of her best and her honor. She'd meant to make the warlord happy, for providing a family for her own happiness. The robust woman smiled sweetly at the child, who was busy "helping," and patted the little one's head. She'd taken into her warm heart both the young Evania and her brother Darvin. She'd heard rumors about Gabrielle from various sources, most of them good, but her opinion wasn't based on rumors. Too many of those flew about camp. Her opinion of the woman was formed as soon as she saw the straw berry blonde. She was a good one. Just as she'd known the warlord, for all her fearsome behavior, was a good one. The cook couldn't think of one other warlord in the whole known world who would see to the needs of the child. She was fully prepared to follow Xena wherever she went. She felt that even more so when she and the young Gabrielle began talking.

Time passed. The bard finally made her way out of the mess tent and headed "home." The cook, whose name was Jalani, had promised to make a batch of nutbread especially for her. She wouldn't take no for an answer and Gabrielle didn't put much of a fight (It was, after all, her favorite). They'd parted on very friendly terms.

Xena tracked down Nisus' last known location, the corral. She visited with Argo, patting and caressing her warhorse affectionately, while she gently interrogated the stable hand. Apparently Nisus had been in a good mood when he'd left. Xena decided she didn't need to chase after the man, who for whatever reason, had picked that moment to quit the warlord lifestyle. She wished him luck.

She met Gabrielle on the way. They greeted each other with friendly smiles. Gabrielle handed the warlord the scroll. "This is for you, mistress." Xena felt the word roll through her body. She'd forgotten in that brief moment that they weren't equals, at least not in appearances. She smiled at the bard with warm eyes. It didn't matter. To all intents, they were equal, no matter the appearances. She thanked the woman who saved her life this day, gratefully, lovingly, with all her heart. Oh, she'd have been able to stop Colchak, no problem, but it was *Gabrielle* who'd acted, before anyone else. The fact that Xena had intended to wait until the last minute to make a point was another thing that didn't matter.

The red head resisted the urge to wrap her arm around her lover's waist and instead took her position behind and to the side. In a way it was a familiar place for her. She'd walked this way while Xena rode on Argo many times. There would be other times when she could twine her arm around her lover. In her mind she *was* walking with Xena. Her step was companionable. She felt no inequality. Xena's pace was gentle, they matched each other step for step, a silent cord of understanding stretched between them. The dark woman nodded to the guard at the front of the tent, as did Gabrielle, who also smiled and received one in return.

There were only two words on the scroll from Nisus. "Gone Fishing." Another time, another place, the Warrior Princess might have called it desertion. Tonight, Xena called it a change for the better and a smile was drawn wide across her lips. Nisus was a free man.


22 | 23 | 25


©September1997