Xena the Merciless feels like her world is finally settling down into something she might even start to enjoy. The summer harvest was good, people are showing up for her Harvest Festival, and Gabrielle has some storytelling to a Persian prisoner for some tips on massage. The only clouds on her horizon besides the usual winter storms was that message she sent to the King of Persia along with his daughter's head. What, really, could go wrong?


 

A Queen for All Seasons

Parts 6 - 9

by Melissa Good

Part 6

“It’s Harvest.” Xena said, her hands cupped around the mug of tea. “Every merchant and toady for leagues around is in this stronghold.”

“So, it’s not to look for strangers then.” Lakmas mused.  “Would do you no service.”

“No.” The queen agreed. “I think the timing’s tied to that.”

The Persians nodded. The room was much more crowded now, as many of the soldiers she’d captured as could fit in the space were there, and those that couldn’t were peeking in the door at them.

“The bastard seems to be sneaking around in these tunnels.” Xena pointed at a sheet of well worn parchment, which had new coal streak lines drawn on it.  “The ones that go around your quarters here.”

“Bitras?” Lakmas said. “Tell what you saw.”

“More heard, my brother.”  The man called Bitras shifted a little in his seat self consciously as Xena’s eyes turned on him.  “I was shaving by the trough near the back wall there.” He pointed to the back of the big chamber. “And I heard what I thought were cats, or rats, scratching.”  

Xena cocked her head slightly. “We have both here.” She conceded.  “One of the damn things sleeps under my bed.” She paused. “Our bed.” She corrected herself, with a smile.

The Persians all looked a bit embarrassed.

“So I put down my blade and went to find the creatures.”  Bitras bravely soldiered on.  “I looked all around, in the stores, and under the fireplace mantel but not a one could I find, only these.” He held up his hand and turned it over, releasing a small cloud of brown, light object onto the table.   “As you know, your majesty,  we have no trees here in the barracks.”

Xena reached out and took one of the leaves, bringing it up to her eyes and studying it. It was curled and dead, with faint veins in it and it smelled of smoke.    The type of leaf, though, was strange to her eyes.

And that, in fact was very strange.   She looked up at Bitras. “ Seen this kind before?”

The Persian shook his head.  “Twas why it seemed so strange to me, noble one.” He said. “We have been out and about in the courtyard these months, and thought we knew the trees about.  These are none of them, nor from our homeland neither.”

“No, they aren’t.”  Xena experimentally crushed one, and brought it to her nose cautiously.  It faintly smelled of spice.  “Now where have I smelled that before.”

Gabrielle got up and leaned close, sniffing it.  She sat back down, a faint frown on her face.

“Remind you of anything, muskrat?”

“It does.”  Gabrielle said. “But I can’t think of…oh.” She stopped. “I remember now. Every cold season we used to get a merchant in my village, who brought candles.  When we burned them, it smelled like that.”

“Candles.” Xena repeated thoughtfully. “But only in the cold season?”

Gabrielle nodded. “In the summer, they scented them with flowers.  But there aren’t any flowers in the winter, so they used whatever that was.” She pointed at the leaves. “To make it smell nice. Becausee otherwise the wax smells sort of rank sometimes.”

Xena smelled the leaves again. “So maybe you’d put this in… “

“A clothes press, your majesty?” Lakmas suggested.  “To freshen it.  My mother did, upon a time, but with scents more familiar to me from home.”

“Or bedding.”  Bitras added.  “I put pine needles in my furs as we were passing through the woods.”

All the other Persians looked at him.

“I love the smell of pine.” Gabrielle ventured. “We had pine trees all around our village, and in the winter, the snow looked so pretty on them.”

Xena looked at her, then at the Persians. “You all done trading homebody advice?” She asked.  “I better not find any pine needles in my sheets, Gabrielle.”

“Oh no.” Gabrielle reassured her. “That would be really poky.”

“Show me where you found these.”  Xena got up.  “Anyone else hear anything? See anything? Shadows? People you don’t know wandering around? Assassins in cloaks and masks?”

They all looked a little chagrined that no one else seemed to have.  “May we search this level for you, majesty?” Lakmas offered, hopefully.  “We do know some of the tunnels, though we have not ventured far as we know you hold our honor as bond.”

Xena studied him. “You can.” She said. “But go in groups, and be careful.  Last thing I want is some jackass gunning for me sticking any of you.”  She said. “He’s into poison, and hitting people from behind.”

“Proof he’s no Persian.” Lakmas said, then frowned. “Sholeh was a aberration among us, you must realize.  None of us approved of her use of it in battle.  It was the mark of a coward.”

“No, but she had to learn that from someone.”  Xena said, in a quiet tone. “She wasn’t smart enough to think it up on her own.  So maybe you Persians aren’t poisoners, but I wouldn’t bet my ass there aren’t others who might be.”

Lakmas frowned. “Not soldiers.” He said. “We fight our enemies honorably. With a sword or mace, or fists, or teeth. Not by a prick in the behind.”

Xena snorted, and then covered her mouth hastily, turning and gesturing the Persian solider forward. “C’mon.” She muttered.   “Gabrielle? Let’s go.  Lakmas, get your search parties out and make sure they watch out for pricks.”  

The Persians looked a little puzzled, and so did Gabrielle, but she joined Xena at the door and they followed Bitras down the narrow, dark corridor to where he’d found the leaves.    “Xena?”

“Uh huh.”

“Are you okay? You sounded weird just then.” 

“Tell you later.”  Xena scrubbed her face and let the silent chuckles wind down.  “I crack myself up sometimes.”

“Okay.” Gabrielle was happy to tag along in silence. She’d learned over the months that sometimes, not always, but sometimes it was better not to know what Xena thought was hilariously funny. Especially when it wasn’t very obvious because sometimes it meant you had a hole in your leggings or something stuck to your back you didn’t know about.

“It was here, noble one.”  The Persian stopped, and pointed. 

They were in a cul de sac in the underground passages where three of them came together, in a square space that had well trodden rushes across it save in the  back corner that had no hallway near it.

That, was in shadows.  Xena blinked to focus her eyes and cautiously approached the back wall, sweeping the ground intently.  The area near the corner was free of rushes, just  bare stone that was dark and dull.   She pulled a torch from the wall and stepped closer. “That what’s left?” She pointed.

“Yes.”  Bitras said. “I took a handful, but you see – there is quite a lot there.”

The queen knelt carefully and studied the scattering of leaves.  Even from where she was she could smell them, there was enough to have stuffed a small bag.

She considered that. “Look around for a piece of cloth.” She told them. “A couple of squares sewed together.”

Bitras obligingly started down one of the corridors and Gabrielle began searching the corners of the space Xena was in.   

“What kind of cloth?” Gabrielle asked. “Would it be like a.. oh!”

Xena spun at the exclamation, coming to her feet and drawing her sword as she lunged across the small space and landed in front of her consort. “What?”

Gabrielle eyed her, and put a cautious hand on the queen’s hip. “Um.” She pointed at a crumpled ball in the rushes, half buried. “Is that what you’re looking for?” She watched the tension in Xena’s body relax, the muscles in her neck dropping as she let her sword down and half turned to look at her.

“Don’t do that.” Xena told her. “I’m gonna end up smacking myself in the head at this rate.” She walked over and nudged the fabric with the tip of her sword, opening it up and spreading it out over the floor.

“What is it?”

Xena picked up the item on her sword and lifted it up into the light from the torch.  “I think, my little muskratty friend, that this was someone ‘s pillow.”

“A pillow?”  Gabrielle blinked at it. “Really?”

“Mm.”

“Xena.”  Brendan’s voice echoed softly. 

“Here.” The queen felt herself tense, hearing the tension in her captain’s voice. “Brendan?”

A dark figure resolved into the old soldier, as he moved into the torchlight and came to face Xena. There was blood on his surcoat, and dusting his hands, and his face bore a set of tense creases “Found him, Xena.”  He said “You’d better come.”

Gabrielle inhaled sharply.

“Needs your hands.”  Brendan clarified. “He was gutted pretty bad.”

Xena sheathed her sword with a powerful, angry motion and pointed back the way he came.  She followed at his heels, and Gabrielle followed at hers. 

“Keep looking.” Xena told the Persians as they passed through the barracks and headed for the steps up to the courtyard. “I’ll be back.”

They half ran up the steps and across the inner courtyard.  The doors to the main keep were open, spilling torchlight out and they bolted up into it, Brendan leading the way to the right and into the big banqueting hall. 

Inside was chaos.  Servants were milling around, and soldiers were pouring in from all sides,  the big room half cleared from dinner with empty trays and cups scattered around.   The draft from the open door fluttered the candles in their big overhead cradles and the torches on the wall and the noise inside dulled, then sharpened as Xena’s tall figure was recognized.

“It’s her.”

“She’s come. Look right!”

“Best move over, give her room.”

Xena ignored it all, plowing through the crowd and passing Brendan as she spotted a knot of people around the high table she would have been sitting at.  Her guts clenched and she dodged past two of the soldiers, taking a step and leaping up onto the table rather than taking the long way around. “Move!”

Thus warned, the crowd scattered as she jumped down and then went to one knee besides the crumpled, blood soaked figure behind the table.  

Poor bastard.   Xena could see the faint, labored breathing as she pulled aside a thick pad of linen someone had pressed against him and revealed a cut nearly from armpit to navel spilling blood everywhere.

As she touched him, his eyes flickered open as though sensing her presence, and she looked him in the eye.

He knew.

Gabrielle appeared on the other side of his body, and took his hand in hers, giving Xena a quick, anxious glance.  “I sent two of the soldiers for your case.”

Xena put the linen pad back down “Hold that there, Gabrielle.” She said, in  quiet voice.  “Press, but not hard.”

She waited for her consort to comply, then she turned her attention to the glazed, watching eyes and her mind briefly flashed back to her past, and the battlefield, and the many many times she’d knelt like this and seen that look. 

She put a hand on his cheek, feeling the chill against her fingertips. “Thanks for the pretty.”  She said.  “What happened here?” She could hear running boots behind her, but kept her eyes on his.   With all the soldiers around her and Gabrielle kneeling there she figured someone would warn her if she was in danger of getting a spear in the back.

“Was talking to.. “He closed his eyes. “Cook about breakfast.  They were moving tables, then something hit me.”

“Here, in the hall?”

He nodded.

“Right in the middle of everyone?” Gabrielle sounded as shocked as Xena felt. “Sheeps!”

“Majesty.” One of her troops arrived, breathless, and knelt carefully at her side, the leather bag she kept her healing supplies in resting in his hands. 

Xena was aware in her peripheral senses, that she was being watched.  She looked quickly around, seeing servants and soldiers, and guests who had come in hearing the chaos standing in groups wide eyed as they observed the drama going on around the high table.

Philtop was there, she suddenly realized.  Standing near one wall, arms crossed on his well built chest, eyes on her.

‘Xena.”  Stanislaus whispered.

She turned back to him.  “Hang in there.”  She said. “I’m going to make you wish you were dead in a minute, I promise.”   She opened the kit in the soldiers hands and pulled out clenser, rags, gut and a bone needle, along with a packet of ground herbs.

He stared intently at her. “Honor to be in your service.”  He managed to get out, then his eyes shifted to Gabrielle. “Sorry I misjudged you, Gabrielle.”

“Me too.” Gabrielle smiled at him. “But it’s okay.  It all worked out.”  She edged slightly to one side to give the soldier more room.   “I know this will too. Xena’s an amazing healer, you know.”

Xena made a mental note to properly thank her beloved consort for the additional pressure on her, as she lifted the linen pad off and wet the clothes from her kit with the cleanser.   The blood flow had slowed, to her relief, and she cleaned off the long, ugly wound with liberal amounts of the mixture.

It was a very bad wound.   Xena knew there was a good chance that even if she sewed it up, he’d probably die of infection anyway.   Most did.  Even she’d sickened, when the arrow had pierced her body and she was more resistant than many.

Was it possible someone had knifed him right in the middle of the hall?  Xena resisted the urge to look atound.  Was the knifer there, watching her?

She sensed motion to her right and saw Brendan move to stand between her and whatever it was.  “Did you see who hit you?” She asked, watching him faintly shake his head. “No stranger around you? C’mon Stanilaus. You know everyone who belongs here.”

Again, he shook his head.  “Pain.” He muttered. “Then I was pushed down.”

Xena flushed the wound out again and then quickly threaded the bone needle with a good length of gut.    She squeezed the cut closed up near his heart and bent over it, carefully stitching the gap closed.

“So, Xena. It seems you can’t even keep your own servants safe much less us.”

Xena kept her focus.   She could hear the faint rattle in Stanislaus’s breathing and she moved a little faster,  pressing her fingers into the gap to try and stop the flow of blood.

“Xena.” Her patient whispered.

“Mm?” The queen grunted. “Busy.”

“Xena!” Philtop called her name. “You going to admit you’re not in control here? There’s a klller loose! He’s laughing at you!”

“What a jerk.”  Gabrielle growled, making the queen’s lips twitch a little. 

“Ignore him.”  Xena shifted a little. “Barac, bring that light closer so I can see what the Hades I’m doing.”

The soldier did.

“Xena!” Philtop bellowed.  “You owe these people an answer!”

“Mistress. He undermines you.” Stanislaus ground out, between clenched teeth.  “Attend him.”

“Sorry”  Xena continued her work, finding a big vein nicked.  She quickly tied it off and continued sewing.  “I don’t turn away from helping a soldier just to answer an asshole no matter if the whole damn realm depended on it.”

“If you can’t control things, I will.” Philtop called out. “Men, to me!”

Xena made a quick half hitch, then she looked up at the soldier. “Watch my back, willya?”

“Majesty.” The soldier handed the torch to Gabrielle then stood, pulling his sword from his belt and letting out a yell of his own as the room burst into motion around them.

**

Gabrielle stood with her legs braced, holding the torch up to give Xena light to work by as she watched the pushing and shoving going on around them.  Men were yelling, and Philtop had gathered a bunch of his guys around them and he was shouting at people to stand up and be counted.

Why? She wondered. The last thing she’d think anyone would want was to be counted a part of an insurrection with Xena there to witness it.  “Xena, he’s coming this way.”

“Busy.” Xena had her head bent over Stanislaus’ still form.  “I need to get this closed or he’s going to bleed to death Gabrielle.  If that stupid bastard comes too close throw rocks at him.”

“Xena.”

“Or pull my sword out and gut him, whatever makes you happy” The queen replied. “I can’t take my hands off him right now.” She glanced up at her consort. “Stick that torch in the holder there. “ 

Gabrielle obeyed, then turned and watched Philtop and his crowd shove closer, trying to push aside the few soldiers from Xena’s troops that were surrounding them. They weren’t fighting, really, no weapons were drawn but she could feel the threat in them.

Posturing, mostly.   She edged to one side, getting between Xena and the oncoming crowd.  She had her sling, and she pulled it out from her belt with one hand. 

“Xena!” Philtop yelled. “Explain to these people, YOUR people, why you let killers loose in this place and aren’t protecting them!”

“Xena’s busy.”  Gabrielle answered him.  “She’s saving someone’s life.”

“Oh please.”

The crowd did turn, hearing her voice. 

“So are you just stupid?” Gabrielle asked. “Or are you blind? Anyone can see there’s a man here who’s injured.” She indicated Stanislaus.  “So why don’t you just clear out of here and let her work?”

She was up on the raised platform that Xena’s table inhabited in the hall, and that put her high enough so that everyone could see her.  She put her hands on her hips and watched the  crowd move around, unsure of what was really going on.

“Guards have died, servants have died… your royal heir almost died. Everyone knows it.” Philtop said. “What are you doing about it, Xena? We’re all trapped here.”

Xena’s soldiers gathered into a wall, between her and the rest of the room.  There were only a dozen of them, but they drew their weapons and glared at Philtop.  

“I told you she’s busy.” Gabrielle tapped one of the men on the shoulder. “Go get Brendan, and the house guard.” She said. “We need this room cleared.”

“Your grace.” The man touched his breast, and took off towards the door. He had a sword in his hand, and the people between him and the entrance quickly scattered out of the way.

Philtop’s eyes narrowed as he watched her, and the soldiers reaction.   The other nobles in the hall, started edging away from him and he noticed that too.  He opened his mouth to say something, then shut it again.

“Look.” Gabrielle addressed the now uneasily milling crowd. “We know people have gotten hurt.  Xena has the army searching for the person or people responsible for that.  No one wants anyone else to be harmed but it’s a big place and there are a lot o f strangers here.”  At this, she looked pointedly at Philtop. 

“Do you accuse me?” He asked, in the sudden silence.

“Well.’ Gabrielle watched him.  “The attacks did start as soon as you got here.” She remarked. “So you know, if I were you, I might not want to run around yelling about what Xena’s doing about it because she might figure it is you, and you probably won’t like what she’ll do if she does.”

Philtop stared at her.  “People have died.” He said. “And I..”

Gabrielle cut him off. “People die here all the time.”  She said. “I’ve seen them.  Right here in this room, as a matter of fact.” She gestured around. “So it’s probably a good idea for everyone to clear out, and go get some rest. “

Philtop looked at the surrounding nobles, who were starting to drift towards the door. “You run, at the words of a peasant?”

“Sure they do.”  Gabrielle said. “None of them are dumb. They understand how things work here.”

Philtop took a step towards her, leaping up onto the platform.  Gabrielle reached behind her and put her hand on the hilt of Xena’s sword.

“Keep going , muskrat.  Almost done here.”  Xena’s voice sounded more than amused.

“Do you understand how things work here?” Gabrielle gamely went on, addressing Philtop. “I don’t think you do.”

Philtop walked forward, and as he did, Gabrielle drew the long, heavy sword out of Xena’s scabbard, grateful that all her pushing bales around in Xena’s practice chamber let her lift it  and bring it around in front of her without dropping it or stabbing herself in the foot.

So there she was, sling in one hand, sword in the other.   It felt very strange.  But Gabrielle gripped them firmly and kept her eyes on Philtop, who had stopped when she’d pointed the blade at him. “Don’t do something stupid. “ She said. “I won’t let you hurt her but if you try to, I bet you end up regretting it.”

Philtop looked around.  The other nobles were just watching him now, with noncommittal expressions.  Xena’s soldiers were all grouped on the floor in front of Gabrielle and their mistress, and his own troops were back where he left them.

He had little doubt he could easily defeat the short, young woman between him and the kneeling figure of the queen but he also knew one further step towards her would probably bring Xena up on her feet to protect her little scruffy peasant.

And he didn’t want to square off against Xena.  He had a lot of confidence in his own martial skills but he’d felt the strength in her body in their earlier tussle, and realized the one time marauder hadn’t lost much of her ability to fight in the intervening years.

He could see her leather covered body just behind Gabrielle, her bare arms burnished copper in the torchlight as she crouched over her stupid lackey and her well shaped shoulders exposed with no softness evident.

Sexy as ever, damn her.

His moment had passed.  Damn the little runt.  He glared at Gabrielle’s rounded, common face. That one pointed question, spoken in that stupid little voice had made everyone stop, and take a step back, and he’d lost his momentum.   

He lifted both hands. “I’m not here to harm anyone.” He changed his tactics. “I’m trying to get your queen to realize she’s going to lose it all if she doesn’t wake up.”

“I don’t think she’s sleeping.”  Gabrielle responded. “But I think you’re going to lose something if you don’t stop messing with her.”  She paused, aware of all the eyes and ears focused on her. “If there’s anything left, I mean.”

Xena’s soldiers started laughing, as Philtop turned a dark shade of red.   Then the door was suddenly full of Brendan and a dozen guard, and the people inside started filing out as soon as the soldiers cleared the way, some chuckling and giving Gabrielle a look as they left.

“Yer Grace.” Brendan joined them on the platform, his sword out as he came to her side.  “Problem here?” He looked at Philtop. “You’er bound to make trouble, eh?  Strange for a beggar.”

Xena finished her last stitch, and regarded her handiwork.  Stanislaus’ eyes were now closed, and he had a long bloody line up his side.   “Brendan.”  Xena said. “Forget that fool.  Get me four men, with a pallet, and take him to his quarters.  I want them to stay with him.”

‘Aye, mistress.” Brendan stepped back a step, but kept his eyes on Philtop.  “You four.  Alic, get a stretcher, yah?  Quick now.”

Wiping her hands off, Xena stood up, feeling the blood rush back into her legs after her prolonged crouch.  She turned and regarded Philtop over the head of her adorably bristling and surprisingly sword wielding bedmate.   “What’s wrong with you?” She asked bluntly. “You stay out in the cold too long? “

“You’er not listening to your people, Xena.” Philtop said. “I don’t want to see you lose that throne of yours.”

“What people, the pointy hats?” Xena indicated the last of them, trailing out the door.

“The backbone of your realm, yeah.” Philtop said. “Your tax base.”

“I never did listen to  them.”  The queen moved out of the way as the soldiers came back with a stretcher. “Be careful with him.” She told them.  “He’s got more to tell me. I think he saw the bastard.”

“Aye.” Brendan nodded.  “We’ll take care of him, mistress.” He spared a dour look for Philtop.  “Be back to clean up the place after.”

Xena opened her hand and extended it, and Gabrielle gladly put the hilt of her sword into it.  “Thanks, muskrat.  Glad you had my back.” She resheathed the sword, then she draped her arm over Gabirelle’s shoulders and returned her attention to Philtop.  “Do yourself a favor.  Soon as the weather breaks, get out of here before I kill you.” She said, in a conversational tone. “Because I’m going to , and I’ve got good reason.  You don’t get a free pass to walk in here and stir up trouble.”

“Xena, I want to help you.” He ignored the warning and walked closer, now that the blade was covered.  “I’m not being an ass for no reason. These people want someone they can trust to lead them.” He as now close enough for her to touch, and he’d lowered his voice, as the room emptied leaving them alone up on the platform. 

“I don’t care.” Xena said. “That’s what you don’t get. You want me to give a damn about what these people think about me, about what I do, and who I sleep with. I don’t. “ She gave him a mild look.  “I’ll be queen here for as long as I want to, then me and the muskrat’ll go off and be pirates.”

“Oo.” Gabrielle looked up at her profile. “That sounds fun.” She muttered under her breath.

Philtop stared at her. “You’ve lost your mind.”

“No, I found it.”  The queen told him. “Somewhere between all the assassination attempts and the drink and the killing for pleasure I realized all that matters to me in the long run is living the minute. There is no future for me. Just now. And right now, I want you out of my sight or I’m going to spit you like a dog for trying to turn people against me.”

“if you don’t want this realm, give it to someone who does.” He said, point blank. “Im’ tired of grubbing for worms in the Westlands.  Let me take this place. I’ll make something of it.”

“No.”  Xena said. “It’s mine. You had a chance, way back when.  Now I know better.”

“Don’t you want more than this, Xena?” Philtop asked. “There’s a lot of land out there for the taking. I could help you.”

Xena chuckled.  “I have what I want.” She glanced down at the soberly watching Gabrielle.  “Get lost, Philtop.” She lifted her eyes back to his face. “And you better hope you really aren’t the one behind the attacks. Because I’ll cut bits of you off your body over the length of a moon and pin them to my front door if you are.”

“You don’t really think I’m involved in that, do you, Xena?”

“Why not?” Gabrielle answered “You’re sleezy and all you’ve done here is insult us while you beg for scraps from our kitchen. Why not you?”

Phlitop gave her a dour glare. “Too bad whoever it is missed you.” He said. “It would amuse me to see you.. lpluf.”

Xena had him by the throat.  She hadn’t even removed her other arm from around Gabrielle, merely dragged her consort with her as she took a long step forward and fastened her powerful fingers on Philtop’s voicebox.

“I warned you.” Xena said.

He reached up and grabbed her arm, yanking at it to little or no avail.  Then he swung on her, but the queen released her hold on Gabrielle and grabbed his arm, leaning forward and cocking one knee. “You really want to go this round with me again?”

He stopped moving.  The eyes meeting his were simple blue ice, colder than the weather outside, and there wasn’t even a flash of the sultry attraction he remembered from the old days.  He felt his breathing shorten as her fingers tensed and slowly he relaxed his arm, opening his hand in surrender.

He remembered, now, that strength.    He remembered seducing her in her chambers, and bedding her, sure of his prowess, sure that he’d ensnared her in wanting him only to have those hands fasten on his hips and move him up and aside as though he’d been a child.

He hadn’t realized in time that he’d taken her on her terms. He’d convinced himself that Xena would submit to him as so many women had before, and taken her rightful place at his side on the throne.

Very wrong.  Almost a fatal mistake.  But he could so clearly see his future taking over the realm that it was almost impossible to resist pushing at her and collecting adherents here who had never quite accepted their wild chieftain.

Didn’t she really still want what he had?  There was no way she could be satisfied with that little runt, not with the appetites he remembered.

Xena’s fingers tightened sharply on his throat, and he felt something move that shouldn’t have. Then she released him, and released his arm, and stepped back, getting between him and the little peasant. “Escort him to his quarters.” She directed the guard.  “Make sure he stays in them until the weather clears.”

“Majesty.” The guard captain touched his chest, then he advanced on Philtop. 

Philtop rubbed his throat and started to speak, but stopped when Xena held a hand up and shook her head.  Gathering his shredded dignity around him, he walked off the platform and motioned his guard to follow, as he headed for the door with Xena’s men ranging around him.

Gabrielle waited until he’d disappeared, then she turned and faced Xena.  “I really don’t like that guy.”

“No, really?”  Xena rested her hands on her consort’s shoulders.  “You did good, Gabrielle. You handled that just right. Well done.”

Gabrielle blushed. 

“I really liked when you accused him of being the killer. Nice.” The queen went on.  “Exactly the right thing to stop his little mediocre rebellion right in it’s tracks.” She leaned down and touched her head to Gabrielle’s.  “Love ya.”

Gabrielle exhaled, moving closer and putting her arms around Xena’s body.  They were almost alone now in the hall, and the sounds around them were settling.  “I wanted to kick him.” She admitted.  “Xena he got me so mad. He was trying to hurt you.”

“He got me mad too, because he was making fun of you.”  The queen agreed. “I really should just kill him. But he’s an actual prince, and he’s got a lot of support in the area.  I don’t really care what they think about me, but if people know I kill men just because they annoy me it’s hard to make deals with them.”

“if’ he’s got so much support.” Gabirelle was enjoying the closeness. “How come he’s here begging from you?”

“Ah.” Xena turned her around and draped her arm over Gabrielle’s shoulders.  “Let’s go back to our love nest and I’ll fill ya in on that.”

“I thought we were going to go look for the bad guy?”

“We are.” Xena said. “We’re just going to do it in a little different way.” She guided Gabirelle out of the room and they crossed from the banquet hall over to their chambers.

“Xena.”  Brendan caught up to them. “We’ve got him resting.  Justin is with im.”  He looked harried, and upset. “Damned thing. How in the Hades did they do that middle of the hall? Middle of all the cleaning up?”

“Good question.”  Xena said. “We’ve got two options, Brendan. Either whoever this is – or they are – are part of our staff in the stronghold..”

“Bigods.”

“Mm.” The queen assented. “Or they’re a guest that was in that hall. There’s no way someone stabbed Stanislaus, then walked out of there with no one seeing them.”

Brendan shook his head. “We’ll find im.”

“Probably not.” Xena said. “We havent’ so far, and if he’s hiding in plain site, what’s to look for? So we’ve got to change our tactics.” She walked along with them, mounting the steps to their rooms. There was a guard there, and she gestured to him to open the door. “C’mon in a minute.”

Brendan followed them. They entered the outer chambers, and Xena paused, slowly sweeping the area with her senses.  After a minute, she turned. “Put a guard on Stanislaus.  People you trust.” 

“Aye.”

“Keep searching the cellars.  Make a lot of noise.  Make it sound like the whole damn army is down there, and bring those hunting dogs in too.”

“Mistress.” Brendan started to smile a bit. “And you?”

“Me?”  Xena rested a hand on Gabrielle’s shoulder. “I’m going to bed.”  She grinned briefly. “After all, I’m a hedonist who could give a crap about this place, remember?”

Gabrielle gave her a bewildered look. “Huh?”

“Go with it, Gabrielle.” The queen told her. “Get moving, Brendan. I’m gonna take a bath, and get naked with the muskrat here.  Maybe have a bottle or two of grog.”

“Will do, Mistress.” Brendan touched his chest.  “I’ll be sure to let the boys know you’re not to be  interrupted.”

“You do that.”  Xena clapped him on the shoulder.  Then she steered Gabrielle towards the inner chamber. “C’mon, you sexy thing you.  Time for us to party.”

“Xena..?”

“Sh. Just go.” The queen uttered, in a very soft voice. “Follow my lead.”

Gabrielle turned and walked backwards, reaching out to undo the catches on the queen’s armor. “Whatever you say.”

The queen smiled at her.

“I’ll start the bubbles.”

**

“One of the few times we moved down here that I wish we’d stayed up in that damn tower.”  Xena got up from the stone floor, and dusted her hands off. “At least I knew every inch of that place.”

Gabrielle was sitting on the big bed, her legs pulled up crossed under her, watching.  “I’d like to help you if I knew what we were looking for.”

“I’d tell you if I knew what we were looking for.” The queen was now going along the wall, tapping gently with her knuckles on it, her ear cocked to listen.  “But the plan is, the men stir up enough crap downstairs that it filters up here, and whoever this asshole is he decides to cut his losses and just go for me.”

“But what if he finds you?” Gabrielle said, in a worried tone.

“Then I’ll catch him and kill him extremely slowly.” Xena responded. “First cut all his fingers and toes off, then maybe skin him, then maybe if I’m bored and he’s lucky cut his head off.”

“Oh.”

“What’s the matter, muskrat?”  Xena glanced over at the bed. “Don’t trust me to keep us safe?” She chuckled a little at the expression on her consorts face. “I want this over with. It’s pissing me off.”

Gabrielle agreed with that. It was pissing her off too.  She wanted to enjoy the harvest festival and look forward to the coming cold season and the sneaky guy hurting and killing people was ruining that not only for her, but for everyone else.

It was just a little uncomfortable for her to know Xena was deliberately going to leave the outer door unfastened, and tell the guard to go get a meal and wait to see if someone was going to try and kill them.

“By the way.” Xena finally was satisfied there were no hidden panels or planted asps in her quarters. She came back over and sat down on the bed next to Gabrielle. “You asked me about Philtop and his supporters.”

“Ugh. That guy.”   Gabrielle got up and went over to the fireplace, where she had a  pot of mulled wine warming.  She poured herself and the queen a cup and brought them back over to the bed.  They were both in their shifts,  Xena had a light fur lined cape thrown over her broad shoulders and they had soft boots on their feet against the chill of the stone floor.

“Mm yes.”  Xena scooted back and relaxed against the big padded headboard, extending her long legs out and crossing them at the ankles. “Well,  thing is his lands are the furthest out in that direction. He’s on the border.”

“Good.” Gabrielle sipped the mulled wine. 

Xena chuckled. “So we have a signed agreement with him that he protects the edge of the realm.” She said. “It was done way back in the day before I showed up here, and we held him to it.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle murmured. “So you kind of have to help him?”

“Kind of.”

“Hm.”

“The people in that area, the smaller cots and towns, they contract with him for protection because he’s a lot closer to them than we are.  So yeah, he’s got a lot of local support, and I wouldn’t like them all to change sides.” Xena explained.  “But they can’t help him right now cause they’re in the same crappy situation as he is.”

“Bummer.”

Xena chuckled again. “He really got your goat, huh?”  She studied her lover’s adorable face.  “You’ve got nothing to worry about, Gabrielle. “ She said.  “This realm might be rid of me one day but you never will be.”

Gabrielle smiled, her nose wrinkling up as she produced a somewhat wry expression. “Same for me.”  She said.  “I wasn’t really worried about that, Xena. I’m just mad because he was trying to cause trouble for you on purpose.”

“He was trying to stir up a situation where I’d have to work out a partnership with him, bring him here as my consort to replace you.” Xena clarified. “I was mad too. “

“That’s scummy.”

“Oh yes, my friend. It’s scummy.  But totally expected from him. He has a very simplistic view of the world, Gabrielle. He thinks he’s irresistible,  and that all a woman wants is to be pleasured by him.”  She swirled her wine in her cup and took a swallow of it.  “He can’t even imagine us.”

Gabrielle wriggled a little closer.  “So we’re just going to hang out and wait for the bad guys?” She changed the subject. “You really think they’ll try to sneak in here and do something to you? They won’t be scared?”

The queen stifled a yawn.  “If they think I’m both half drunk and focused on being ravished by you, they might chance it. “

“That’s why you had the vintner deliver those four bottles of wine?”

Xena gave her a sexy smile, and raised her mug.   “Far as anyone knows, we’re having our own harvest festival in here together.”   She patted the bed by her side.  “C’mere.”

Gabrielle gladly scooted over and settled next to her,  leaning against the queen’s side and exhaling in contentment.  “Is Stanislaus going to be okay? “

For a moment, Xena didn’t answer.  Then she sighed. “Maybe.”

The queen didn’t sound very sure.  Gabrielle felt sort of bad about that. Stanislaus hadn’t ever been one of her favorite people but he also hadn’t been one of the bad guys either. “Wow.”

“Yeah.  I’m really not happy about that.” Her companion admitted. “What pisses me off is this bastard only hits people who can’t hit back. There’s nothing brave or noble about shiving servants doing their job or people making love. “

Gabrielle nodded somberly.

“Not something I’d do.”  Xena said. “Even if it served my goals. It offends me.  It  offends my… “ She paused, and frowned.

“It offends your sense of honor.”  Gabrielle finished quietly.

“Something like that.”

“So why are they doing it?” Her consort asked. “Is it… could they be working with that guy?” She looked at Xena.  “It sort of seems like the whole thing is to mess you up with people.  Like he’s trying to do.”

Xena leaned back and propped her elbow up on the arm she had laying across her stomach, sipping slowly at the mulled wine in her cup. “Huh.”  She finally said, after a few silent minutes.  “We were joshing about that, but you know….”

The victims.  Unwary visitors, men who thought they were safe in their own stable, servant in lieu of a man and woman making love in their bed,  and finally, her major domo, doing his job in the banquet hall. 

What was it supposed to mean to her?  Was it supposed to say, see, Xena? You can’t protect anything or anyone, you’re a fraud?  And yet, the queen knew that wasn’t the case if nothing else her recent history had proven she was personally capable of pretty much anything.

Or, as Gabrielle suggested, was it meant to sow discontent and fear amongst all the people who had traveled here for the festival, in celebration of, and hopes of gaining her protection?

She thought about the attacks. Working up from a stranger’s men, to her own, to her heir…. Yes, taking Stanislaus and Lastay from her would serve Philtop’s aims, wouldn’t it?  He would, she was sure, offer one of his own people to help them through the festival to take Stanislaus’ place, and it was obvious who he thought should be her heir.

Ruthless and bold, she had to admit.  Worthy, maybe, of the position he was driving for, because after all, Xena too was ruthless and bold and in all truth,  the realm probably wouldn’t have objected to her naming him such.

The realm wouldn’t have, no.  Xena smiled briefly.  But she would certainly object and as for forcing Gabrielle to suffer the asshole’s presence….

Forget it.  Not even a poke in her horse’s ass.  Without question just based on what he’d said to her beloved..  Xena stopped and re-sounded that word in her head a few times, then pinched the bridge of her nose.

Anyway.   She almost hoped he’d try something else because then, having been provoked past her patience, she would happily gut the stupid bastard. She’d show enough tolerance in public to his antics that even the most jaded of his followers would have to admit he’d pushed his luck too far.

Maybe tomorrow, after she caught the moron who was skipping about shooting people, she’d have Philtop for breakfast out in the courtyard and have her men stick bits of him around the stronghold walls. Cold as it was, it would even seem a little decorative.

“Okay.” She put her cup down and got up. “Time to waste some good wine.” She went over and selected one of the bottles, breaking the wax seal and opening it.  Walking randomly around the room she spilled a bit of it as she walked, until the room held the distinct scent of fermented fruit at it’s edges. 

It wasn’t  unpleasant.  She could remember, if she tried, having her quarters up in the tower smell like that a time or two when she’d retreat up there and lose herself in a few bottles or skins.    She went back and put the rest of the wine into the mulling pot, leaving it just close enough to the fire to keep it warm and add it’s smell to the room.

Then she retrieved her sword and brought it back over to the bed with her, wedging the sheath between the frame and the mattress so the hilt was right about at the level with the top.   Then she went around the room, snuffing the candles out with her fingers before she collected a couple daggers and ended up right back at the bed.

It was now dark, just the glow from the fire providing any light in the room.  The windows were shut tight and had their heavy drapes drawn to keep the winter cold out and now that the candles were doused Xena felt her other senses heightening to take up the slack.

She settled into the bed and tucked the daggers into the headboard’s corners.  It would have been safer, of course, for her to wear her armor and leathers to bed but there was something about being dressed pretty much in her underwear waiting for an assassin that perked Xena’s sometimes very black sense of humor.

She’d left the robes, and in fact, the leathers and boots in the outer chamber, scattered around with Gabrielle’s as though the two of them had experienced a frenzy of mutual, half drunken undressing when they’d gotten back to their quarters.

Sometimes they did, after all, and the servants certainly knew and spoke of it.  She was counting on that, because she was getting a sense that this killer, whoever he was, had ears in the places he needed them to in order to find out what was going on.

But not too close, as his miss with Lastay showed. He knew the duke liked to have an afternoon snog with his wife, but hadn’t gotten the news that Lastay had changed his plans, had gone looking for Xena instead and his servants had taken the chance to hop in the sack with each other.

Close but not intimate.  Aware, and yet, having expectations that were not one hundred percent accurate, as the traps in the corridor had shown. If anyone except for Xena had come down that hallway they’d have been gutted so her presence in the hunt hadn’t been circulated.

Maybe it would have been Brendan.  Maybe he’d been the target, that time.

Xena slid under the covers and put her head on the pillow, as she felt Gabrielle slide closer, not wrapping herself around the queen but reaching out to hold hands with her in the gathering body warmth between the two of them.

In the dim light, she could see Gabrielle’s profile, half turned to face her, the faintest hint of firelight on her pale eyelashes.  Xena exhaled.  She’d announced, as clear as a bell in that room tonight exactly what was important to her.

Would they take the bait?

Would they think she was lying?

Could anyone really believe the most important thing in her life was this scruffy ex slave tucked into her bed? Really?  Her? Xena the Merciless? 

Really?

Hah.   Xena wriggled into a more comfortable position to wait out the night, as she felt Gabrielle lift their joined hands up clear of the covers and plant a kiss on her knuckles.  She turned her head slightly to look at her consort, who was looking right back at her.  “Hey.”

“Could we really go be pirates?”  Gabrielle asked “And if we did, could you show me how to sail a boat?”

Xena smiled at her. “You really want to do that?”

“I’d love to see new places. Like that volcano.” Gabrielle responded. “That was so amazing.”

“And give up all this plush luxury?” The queen asked, indicating the bed with her free hand. “You don’t get this on boats. You spend your time chasing and killing people and eating a lot of fish.”

“That captains cabin wasn’t so bad.”  Her consort reminded her. “And I like fish.”

Hm.  “You never know, muskrat.”  Xena mused.  “King of Persia could send a couple thousand men over here to squash us.”

“That wouldn’t squash you.”  Gabrielle said.  “Xena you already beat a Persian army.”

The queen chuckled wryly.  “Yeah, I’m running out of things to do for you to make stories about here huh? Be easier on ya if we were pirates.” She admitted. “And that cabin wasn’t really too bad. Need a longer bed though whoever that guy was he was shorter than I am.”

Gabrielle kissed her knuckles again and settled down on her side, closing her eyes and exhaling.   “That would be so cool.”

Would it?  Xena studied the canopy over the bed.  Hm. Wouldn’t it be fun to be responsible for just herself and Gabrielle and boat’s crew?  Sailing around and fighting when they wanted, plundering what they could, seeing new things every day?

Of course, she’d have to give up her horse.  The queen frowned.  And a ship could get very small very fast when you wanted to get some good sparring in.

After a moment, she put the thought aside and concentrated on her task at hand. Here in her chambers she was in the middle of the stronghold, and she could hear activity around her outside the walls.

Slowly she let the sounds filter through her consciousness, ignoring the further out ones of the watch on the walks, the thumps and bangs of the servants clearing the halls, a brief burst of music and laughter.

She felt her breathing slow and her body still.

Now she filtered out the closer sounds she knew. The soft tread of the inside guard. The shifts of the men on duty in the central hall and the soft sounds of their spears rasping against the stone floor.   The sound of the now thickly falling snow outside, thumping against the leaded windows on the other side of the drapes.

She narrowed her focus to the rooms she was in. The soft pop of the logs in the fireplace.  Gabrielle’s gentle breathing next to her.

Faint creaks overhead, as the roof took the weight of the falling snow.

A very soft rasping sound of the cat she knew was under the bed cleaning it’s fur.

She took in a deep breath of the air, opening her mouth a little to taste it.  She could smell the wine, the fire, the cat, Gabrielle, herself, the fur rugs on the floor in their mustiness.

What else?

C’mon, you bastard.  Xena urged the assassin.  Come in here so I can smell you, and taste you on the air.  Walk across the stones in your bare feet, completely silent to everyone but me.  Break the flow of the air in the room so I can feel you.

Come close.

Fire your darts at me. I’ll stop them.  Xena closed her eyes, enhancing her other senses. Fire your arrows at me I’ll catch them.  You know it. Come close.  You know the only way to be sure is to walk over here, see me lying in the bed.  Watch me breathe.

You don’t dare come in to fight me.   You don’t dare face me eye to eye.

Xena let the quiet of the room beat against her ears.  She let her body relax completely, muscles slack in the drunken oblivion she was supposed to be in.

Her breathing slowed, and she sharpened her focus, listening for that first pressure of skin against stone, of a hand against the door outside, for the stir in the air or the smell of human flesh.

She felt her skin prickle.

Come get me.

**

It felt like the night lasted for ever.  Xena had run through pretty much every single mental trick in her book to stay awake and  sensed the coming of dawn before she finally.. finally! Heard a faint sound in the outer chamber.

Exhaling a little in relief, she refocused her hearing and caught the sound of the door to the outside hallway opening, the hinges issuing just the faintest of squeaks.

About damn time.   She listened as the hinge squeaked again, then she clearly heard the very soft scuff of bare feet against the marble tile.

Moron, for letting it wait for so long.   By this time if she had been soused, she’d have slept most of it off already and it was coming close enough to morning for her to be waking up.

She heard a few more soft footfalls, then they halted.   She figured they were standing on the other side of the inner door, listening for any motion inside the bedroom.

Now, with the fire almost out, there was no sound for them to hear.   Xena reached up and removed one of her daggers from it’s sheath in the headboard and wrapped her fingers around the hilt, gently moving her arm out from under the covers to give her a clear shot.

She listened hard for the pressure against the door, and the push that would open it, her eyes fixed on the doorframe, waiting to see the wood panel move inward.    Though it was very dark inside her quarters, Xena could see the door clearly, something she suspected her attacker might not share or expect.

She heard a faint sound of motion, flesh against stone.  Then her ears caught the sound of an inhale.

Didn’t sound right.

Xena slipped soundlessly out of bed, standing up and drawing her sword from it’s sheath.  She stepped around the bed and headed for the entrance, the sword in one hand and her dagger in the other.

Stopping inside the door she paused to listen.  For a long moment she stayed absolutely still, wondering if her assassin was standing on the other side, in exactly the same attitude.  The idea put a brief, wry grin on her face, but after another moment it faded, and she gently put the edge of the dagger against the latch and worked it.

It slid down silently, and she stepped back and out of the way as she eased the door open. Unlike the outer one, there was no sound at all from the hinges.

Xena let the air puff in against her face and she breathed it in, her body stiffening as she caught the scent of blood on it.  She snaked around the edge of the door and surged into the room, her senses flaring.

She could feel her skin prickle, all her defenses coming up as she waited for an expected attack. Her back stiffened and she swept her sword up, bringing it crosswise to her body as her eyes searched every corner.

Nothing.

There was nothing alive in the room.  Xena knew it absolutely.    “Gabrielle!” She let out a shout. “Hey! Muskrat!”

“Here!”  Gabrielle’s sleep husky voice answered. “Are you okay?”

“Bring a damn candle in here.”  Xena ordered, her searching eyes finding a rolled, lumped form near the big desk to one side of the room. “Hurry!”

A moment later, light flared behind her and Gabrielle was at her side, still blinking sleep from her eyes. “Wh… what’s going on?”

“Hold it forward.”  Xena said. “I’ve got sharp things in both hands.”

Gabrielle stepped cautiously around her and held the candle higher, bringing a measure of visibility to the nearly pitch black room.  “Oh.”  She yelped in surprise. “There’s someone on the floor!”

“Keep by me.” Xena stalked forward, with Gabrielle close by her hip.  They walked across the floor and stopped by the lump, and stood there, looking down.  “Ah.” The queen softly exclaimed, reaching out with one bare foot to roll the body over and expose it to the candle light.

“Oh my gosh.”  Gabrielle whispered.  “Xena.”

“Yeah.”  Xena murmured. “Sure as Hades wasn’t expecting this.”  She studied the glassy eyed, staring face, robbed of all it’s attractiveness. “You bastard, Philtop. What were you doing here?”

“Is he..”

“Oh yes.”  The queen exhaled. “Can’t you smell the blood?”

There was a moment’s silence, then Gabrielle let out a small surprised breath. “Yes I can.”

“Light the rest of the candles in here.”  Xena said. “Don’t touch him.”

“Don’t worry I sure won’t.”  Gabrielle tiptoed carefully around the big room and lit the candles on the mantel, the desk, and in the wall sconces.  In a moment, a deep golden glow illuminated everything.

Xena walked around the slumped body on the floor and examined the rest of the space, turning cautiously, her blades shimmering in the flickering candle light.

The rest of the room didn’t give up a clue to her, so she went back to Philtop’s body.  She put her dagger down on the table and dropped into a crouch, inspecting him intently.   He was wearing a black tunic and leggings and black boots, with a half cloak thrown over his shoulders that also had a hood. 

“Well.” The queen said. “I seriously doubt he was here to dance with me.”

Gabrielle returned to her side. “You want some tea?” She asked. “I think I kinda need some. My whole body’s shaking.”

“I’d love some tea.” Xena glanced up at her.  “Wake you up too fast?”

Gabrielle had her arms wrapped around her, and she was avoiding looking at Philtop’s body.  “I couldn’t go to sleep for along time, then I finally did and then I heard you yelling for me. My head hurts.”

“Go make some tea.”  Xena patted her leg. “I’m gonna have to look him over and you probably don’t want to see that anyway.”

Her consort didn’t even give a token protest. She retreated back into the bedroom, and in a moment Xena could hear the sound of the fire being built up, and the rattle of a water pot.

She listened for a bit, then she returned her attention to the dead body.  Aside from the odd dress, Philtop was also wearing gauntlets, thin leather gloves that extended up his arms halfway to his elbows.

His throat had been slit.  Xena put the tip of her sword against his chin and pushed his head up, observing the cut with professional approval.  It went right from ear to ear, and had sliced through his adams apple as well as his jugular vein.

The marble floor was covered in blood, producing the copper tint that had warned her in side the bedroom but giving nothing to her in terms of who or why.   Just a neatly done job by a practiced hand – and yet…

Xena leaned a little closer, examining the slice.  Now that did tell her something. Whoever had cut Philtop’s throat had been his height or taller.      Xena stood up, stretching the kinks out of her knees from crouching.   

Philtop had been her height.   Xena let her blade rest on her shoulder.   They had both been unusual that way, he’d been one of the few people she could look right in the eye – that had added to his attraction for her.

But not many people in the realm measured up to her inches. 

She studied the body on the floor, searching inside her to see what emotion it drew out.  After a brief pause, she shrugged, a physical manifestation of her ambivalance. She wouldn’t miss Philtop.  He’d been nothing but a pain in her ass.

She circled the body, observing the hands splayed out as though thrown out in warning.  The fingers were empty, though he was wearing his sword strapped to his back and she could see at least one dagger at his waist, and one tucked into the top of his boot.

Pretty much the same as she’d have if she had chose to dress like a thug and sneak into someone’s rooms at night, matter of fact.    She lowered the tip of her sword and sliced through his tunic, flicking the fabric aside and exposing his chest.

Then she had to stifle a laugh. 

Gabrielle came in with two cups. “What’s so funny?” She spared a glance at the body, as she put Xena’s cup down on the desk. ‘What’s that he’s wearing?”

“That, my delicious little bed warmer, is a corset.”  Xena said. “Never seen one on a guy before.” She said. “it’s meant to squeeze your body into shape if it isn’t that way naturally.”

Gabrielle stared at it, then she looked up at Xena in deep puzzlement.

Xena flipped the fabric back into place. “I don’t wanna know.”    She picked up her cup and sipped the tea.  “So, muskrat, tell me. Didja kill him?” 

Gabrielle touched her own chest in reflex. “Me?”

Xena looked around. “No one’s in this room.” She said. “ No one left, I’d have heard them.”  She added. “I heard someone come in, come to the door, stop, and then gasp.”  She looked at her bedmate. “I didn’t hear whoever it was disappear.” She pointed around the room. “They’re not here. There’s no other exit, here or in our bedroom.”

Gabrielle frowned at her. “Xena I didn’t kill anyone.” 

“Didja want to?”

Xena watched with interest, as those green eyes slowly lifted and met hers.

In the candlelight, Gabirelle’s eyes were almost ochre but their clear depths were evident regardless. “No.”  She said. “But I’m not sorry he’s dead.” She replied honestly.  “I didn’t like him at all.” She paused, watching Xena’s face. “Did you really think I did?”

Xena chuckled. “I know you didn’t.” She said. “You were in bed right next to me when I heard him get offed.” She said. “You’re little, and quiet footed, my love, but you had  your paws wrapped around my arm before I got up.”

“Oh.”  Her consort smiled.

“And besides.”  The queen exhaled. “Whoever did it had my height.”

“Oh.”  Gabrielle’s tone changed.

“Yeah.” Xena leaned back against the big desk, sipping her tea. “Feel better?” She observed her lover nodding.   “Good.” She walked around the desk and sat down at it. “ What the Hades should I do about this, Gabrielle? I’m stumped.”  She put her sword down on the surface.

“You are?”

Xena leaned her forearms on the desk. “I thought I could draw this guy in here. Now…  I’m not sure what happened here. “ She pointed at Philtop.  “What was he after?”

“Um.”  Gabrielle came around to the other side of the queen and leaned on the table, the body now out of her line of sight.  “I think maybe he was after you.”

The queen gave her a droll look. “At night? Trying to sneak into our bedroom?” She said. “Look at him. He’s dressed like… like…”

“An assassin?”  Gabrielle asked.

Xena stared at the body.  “He wouldn’t have been stupid enough to try and kill me.” She said, slowly, turning her head to look at her consort. “But he might have been stupid enough to try and kill you.”

Even in the candle light she could see Gabrielle’s face go pale.  “Maybe putting that story around about me being drunk wasn’t so smart.” Xena said. “Because I know he wouldn’t have tried getting within an arms length of you if I wasn’t.”

Gabrielle sat down on the stool near the desk.

“Maybe he figured he’d sneak in there, and off you right in the bed next to me.” Xena’s voice went on, a distant, cold note entering it.  “So I’d wake up from my drunken stupor and find you dead.” She tensed her fingers around the edge of the desk. “Probably wanted me to think I’d done it.”

An explosive crack suddenly sounded, making Gabrielle surge to her feet in alarm.

Xena looked down at the wooden surface now broken off in her hands. “He owes whoever did it a big thank you.” She said in a very quiet voice.  “Maybe I do too.”

Gabrielle gently put a hand on her shoulder.

Xena let the wood chunk drop on the table, and reached up to cover her hand with her own.   “You know something?”

Her consort leaned against her back, and kissed her along the top of her spine.  “I know I love you.”

The queen’s eyes closed. 

“I know I don’t understand what’s going on, really or why this person’s trying to hurt you.” Gabrielle went on, resting her cheek against Xena’s shoulder blade. “But I have all the faith in my heart that you’ll find out who it is, and make them stop.”

Xena managed a slight smile. “What I was going to say.” She rubbed her thumb over Gabrielle’s knuckles.  “Is that my old friend Philtop there could have done us all a very, very big favor while he was busy getting croaked in my outchamber.”

Gabrielle came around and knelt at her side, letting her cheek rest against Xena’s shoulder.  “Really?”

“Mm.”  Xena tapped her thumb on the table.  “It all comes down to this – why was he killed, Gabrielle?” She mused. “The jerk who offed him had to have a reason. Was it just that he found him in here while he was doing his own thing, or did he kill him thinking it would bother me, or did he kill him because Philtop found HIM in here and was going to expose him?”

“Huh.” Gabrielle grunted softly.

“Or did the guy kill him because he was trying to make it look like I killed him, thinking that would mess with all the politics?” The queen mused. “If that’s the case, boy did he have his queens crossed.”

“Maybe it was a mix.” Gabrielle suggested. “Maybe Philtop was coming in here to mess.. I guess, to hurt me.” She said, pausing briefly. “Boy that makes me mad.”

Xena rolled her head to one side and regarded her adorable bedmate drolly.

“Anyway.” Her consort went on.  “And maybe this other guy followed him in here, and he killed him, to make you look bad.”

Xena nodded a little. “Keep going.”

 “So now he’s probably going to make those guys who came with Philtop run in here and see him, and make them think you did that to mess them all up.”

“Hmm…..”  Xena rumbled. “Except that he was obviously sneaking into my bedroom dressed like a thief so my killing him would be expected.”

“Maybe the bad guy didn’t really see what he was wearing?”

“If he followed him, he did.” 

“Hm.” Gabrielle frowned. “This isn’t making a good story, Xena.”

“No, it isn’t, is it.”  The queen stood up.  “Well, I can’t just sit here and watch maggots grow on him. Gotta make a move in some direction or other. “ She put her fingers between her teeth and let out a very loud, long whistle.   “Get me a robe, muskrat.  I make a better bloodthirstly lunatic when I’m not yelling in my underwear.”

“Okay.”  Gabrielle was glad enough to duck back into the bedroom as she heard boots starting to pound outside, heading for the door.     “I’ll get your booties too.”

Xena walked over to the body and leaned over, taking her dagger off the table and inserting it into the gaping wound on the dead man’s neck, darkening the blade with blood and standing back up as the outer door swung open and the guard, lead by Brendan, rushed in.

“Hello, boys.”  Xena leaned back against the desk, twirling the blade as they all skidded to a halt.  “Looks like I found a rat in my chambers.  Tch tch tch.”  She turned as Gabrielle appeared from the other room with a thick, fur lined gown in her hands.  “Thanks, muskrat.”

“Xena.” Brendan was staring the body. “By the gods!”

“No.”  The queen shrugged into her gown and tied it snugly around her waist.  “By the queen.” She held up the blade.  “Go get his entire damn retinue and drag their slimy, hoary asses in here right now. “  She glanced down as Gabrielle knelt, and started slipping her indoor boots on. “Thank you, my love.”

Gabrielle looked up in faint surprise, then smiled and went back to her task.

“Go.” Brendan ordered three of the guard that were with him. “You lot, outside and guard the door. No one gets in until they get back.” 

The men rushed out, and Brendan turned to face Xena. “He went for you then?  Xena, by all that’s holy I never expected it.”

“Me either.” The queen cheerfully agreed with him. “But he did, and he paid for it.” She glanced down at the body.  “You all find anything last night?”

Brendan nodded. “We did.’ He said. “I was just waiting for light to come get you.”

Xena cocked her head. “And?”

“Where the bugger was hiding out. Found his cache.”  Brendan looked pleased.  “Damndest place for it, but you’ll see for y’self.”  He looked down at Philtop’s body.  “Bastard was looking to do a dirty deed and blame it on  what we’re chasing.”

“Probably.” Xena agreed.  “Actually I figured he was going for Gabrielle.” 

Brendan looked up and then at Gabrielle.  He returned his gaze to Xena’s face.  “Xena.”  He exhaled.  “Could he have been that base a coward?”

The queen shrugged. “More an opportunist.” She examined the blood soaked blade.  “Get the archivist here. I’m going to recind the agreement with the Westlands”

“Ah.”  Brendan nodded. 

“In fact, I’m going to annex them.” Xena decided. “They just lost their autonomy.  I’ll take that crown of his and give it to someone more worthy like the damn cat under my bed.”

Brendan smiled grimly.   He turned as the sound of a crowd seeped in the door, loud footsteps and angry voices erupting.  “Ah, here they come the bastards.”

Xena crossed her arms over her chest, her dagger clasped firmly in one hand, and her sword resting on her shoulder.  “Open the door.”  She smiled. “Lets get this party started.”

**

Part 7

“Look at the evidence of your own eyes, you moron.”  Xena was seated behind the big desk, her booties planted on it, ankles crossed.    “You tell me what you think the stupid bastard was doing in my chambers, dressed like a thief, carrying steel, in the dark, Morden?”

Philtop’s senior noble stared at the body.   “Majesty, it’s not credible!” He said, again, for the nth time. “His Grace had no reason, no inclination to do you harm!”

Xena leaned over to look at the body, then raised both her eyebrows in exaggerated question, lifting both hands and spreading them palms up.

The noble mopped his sweating brow.  “I have no answer for you, Majesty.” He mumbled, turning in question to the six men behind him. “Balderos? Tregel?”

Tregel, the younger man stepped forward.  He looked carefully at the body, then looked over at Xena. “There was word he and your Majesty had a disagreement.” He said, in a low, husky voice.

“The stupid idiot was trying to raise in insurrection in my dining hall.”  Xena replied. “I should, by rights, have just gutted him right there and then, but I had other things to do.”

Balderos and Tregel exchanged looks.  Then the younger man cleared his throat. “Majesty, you can believe this or no – but I .. “ He paused. “His highness was concerned that you might be in danger. Perhaps he was here to prevent harm from coming to you.”

Xena rolled her head to one side and gave him an extremely droll look. “Really?”

“Truly, Majesty.”  Tregel said, in an earnest tone. 

“Did it not occur to him that sneaking into my bedroom armed and hooded might be more dangerous for him than for me?” Xena asked.

“Majesty, the word was spread that you were retiring and in a… “ Morden paused. “His Highness felt perhaps you needed some extra guarding, as you might be distracted.”

Xena regarded him with a look of impatient intolerance. “Anyone guess that maybe I spread that word?”

“Majesty?”

“Never occur to him that I was setting a trap? One that he blundered into?” Xena persisted. “Always did think he knew more than anyone else.  Actually had the brain of a housecat.”

“Majesty!”

“He did!”  Xena put her boots down with a thump. 

“Majesty he thought you were indisposed.”  Tregel said.

“He thought I was drunk off my ass and screwing Gabrielle.”  Xena restated the idea.  “Which is exactly what I wanted everyone to think.”

The men all looked at her,  faces reddening. 

“She wasn’t.”  Gabrielle spoke up quiet. “Xena was putting herself on the line, hoping that the bad guy, whoever he is, would make a try at her. “ She put a hand on the queen’s shoulder. “It was a crazy brave thing to do and he ruined it.”

“He meant well!”  Morden insisted, stubbornly. 

“Well, but now he’s dead.” Gabrielle said. “And the bad guy didn’t get caught and maybe more people will get hurt now.  It’s not a good idea to try and second guess the queen.”

Xena looked up at her consort, and smiled.  “You sweet talker you.”

Gabrielle smiled back at her.

“Yes.” Morden sighed. “He is gone. Our leader, our prince. He has been taken from us.” He gave Xena an oblique resentful look. “We came here in good faith.”

“Spare me the horsecrap.”   Xena said, tersely.  “I didn’t ask him here, or you for that matter. I didn’t ask him to come sneaking into my quarters. I didn’t ask him to stir up trouble for the last few days.  But the bastard showed up here and went crosswise of me and I don’t regret that. “

The men looked at their boots. 

“And despite your crying and whining about what a great guy he was,  I think I might have caught my castle killer anyway.”

“Majesty!” Morden protested.  “He would never have!”

“No?”  The queen eyed him. “As my lovely muskrat here said last night, the attacks started when you got her.” She ticked off a finger. “They’re aimed at the stability of my realm.”  She ticked off another finger. “And he made it very plain he wanted my crown.”

“Majesty! Who said so!” Tregel protested.

“He told me himself.”  Xena said. “No tale carrying.” She spread her hands out.  “Didn’t you hear him ?” Her eyes widened in mock astonishment.  “Didn’t get that whole ‘give me your crown Xena since you can’t hold on to it?”

Morden turned away, a silent curse on his lips very visible.

“Get out.” The queen’s voice rose. “Get back to your rooms and hope I don’t install my horse as your new overlord.” She gestured to Brandon. “Out.”

Three of her soldiers came forward and herded the Westlanders out. 

Xena waited for the door to close behind them.  “Let them start to talk.” She said to Brandon.   “Now. What shall I do with this decomposing lump?” She indicated the body. “What do you think?  Toss him out in the snow, or bury him, or burn him?”

Gabrielle made a face.

“Can’t leave him in here.” Xena caught it.   “If I knew for sure what he was up to, I’d just give him a traitor’s treatment and put bits of him on all the gates.” She eyed the body. “But I don’t.”  She said. “I don’t know why he was here.”

Brandon studied the body.  “Think you should give em a pyre, Mistress.  Fool he was, but his lot are useful, sometimes, out on the edge.” He concluded. “Do ye no good to give him to the wolves.”

Xena pondered that for a minute.  Then she sighed. “All right.” She gave the guards a nod. “Give him honors, and burn him.”   She decided. “Muskrat, let’s get your little servant out of bed and get some breakfast up here.  Killing people always makes me hungry.”

Brendan chuckled. He motioned the rest of the guard forward. “Let’s go boys. Take out the rubbish so her Majesty can eat in peace.”

“And have breakfast.”  Xena purred, now slumped sideways with her head resting on her fist.

Then the body was gone, and the room was quiet.  Xena sat up and rested her forearms on the desk, her face serious.  “So. Let’s see what this lure brings in.” She said. “And I’ve got to go see that cache they found.”

Gabrielle came over and put her hands on Xena’s shoulders.  “What do you think’s going to happen?”

Xena gazed quietly across the room, now being lit by a wan dawn outside filtering through the storm.  “I don’t know.” She admitted.  “We’re adrift on the winds right now, Gabrielle. “ 

“You made them think you killed Philtop.” 

The queen nodded.  “I sure did.”

“And you made them think you thought Philtop was the bad guy.”  Gabrielle said. “Do you really think he was?”

Xena turned her head and regarded her consort.  “In my gut? No.” She said. “He was a rat, and I think he was glad to take the opportunity to advance his goals, and I have no doubt he would have taken a shot at you if he could have but there’s a subtlety to this he wasn’t capable of.”

Gabrielle leaned against the queen’s back.  She was glad the body was gone, and uncomfortably aware of how glad she was that it had been Philtop.  There had been a kind of sleezy danger about him that had really worried her and even though she knew there was still probably a bad guy out there, still, she felt better that he was dead.

And, that made her feel bad.

She pressed her cheek against Xena’s shoulder.

“Hades of a way to start the day, huh?” Xena mused.  “Damn I feel like going back to bed.” She rubbed her eyes with the fingers ofn one hand. “I’m getting too old for this staying up all night crap.”

Gabrielle gave her a kiss on the back of her neck.  “We stayed up that other night.”

“Not the same thing.”  Xena managed a grin, as she half turned to look at her consort. “Hungry?” She watched Gabrielle shake her head, and that made Xena turn right around in her seat and study her closely.  “What’s wrong with you?”

Gabrielle shrugged faintly. 

“You upset about him getting whacked in here? We can pick new rooms.”  The queen ventured.

“No, it’s not that.” 

“No?”  Xena reached up and smoothed the pale hair back off Gabrielle’s forehead, then rested her palm on the skin there.  “You don’t feel like you have a fever.”

“I don’t think so either.” Gabrielle said. “I just feel bad because I don’t feel bad because he’s dead.”

Xena sorted through the statement. “You didn’t like him.”

“I didn’t.”

“So.. why would you feel bad if he died?”  Xena’s voice rose in puzzled question. “You lost me there, muskrat.”

Gabrielle shrugged again. “You shouldn’t feel happy about people dying, should you Xena?”

Xena’s dark head tilted every so slightly to one side.

“Are you glad he’s dead?”  Her consort asked.

‘Sure. Saved me the trouble of killing him myself.”

Gabrielle sighed. “I think I’m just being silly.” She admitted. “I didn’t like him and he made me really mad.  So I probably should be glad he’s dead but you know Xena… it makes me sad to think I would be glad about it.”

Xena rapidly shook her head from side to side, then reached up and tapped her ear. “Can we please start kissing or something? Let’s go back into bed.  I can’t handle so much deep thought so early in the damn morning.”

That, finally, made Gabrielle smile.   “Sorry about that.” She leaned forward and kissed Xena on the lips.  “Let me go see about breakfast. “

Xena caught her before she could back away, and pulled her closer.  She looked steadily into those pale green eyes and smiled back.  “It’s okay for you to be glad, Gabrielle.” The queen said. “He did things that should make you feel that way.”

“Are you glad?”

Oooh.  Xena had to think about that.  “Well.” She finally said. “It had been a lot of fun for me to frustrate the Hades out of him and watch him chew himself into a froth.”

“Really?”

“Sure.” The queen agreed cheerfully.  “Gabrielle, it may not have occurred to you but it makes me feel really good to be in love with you, and to let people, especially people like him, see it.”

Gabrielle blinked at her.

“It drives everyone out of their minds. I like that.”  Xena chucked her under the chin.  “But yeah, I am glad he’s gone, the stupid bastard. I only wish I’d done it myself.” She sighed, her lips twisting into a regretful smile.  “Ah well.”

Her smile grew broader, as Gabrielle squeezed her with all her surprising strength, almost making the queen cough as the breath was taken out of her.   “Let’s go get dressed, muskrat.  I have a feeling it’s gonna be a bitch of a day.” 

Gabrielle released her. “I’m glad too.” She admitted.  “I just hope it doesn’t cause you even more trouble with all those guys.”

Hm.  Xena got up and they went into the bedroom, which was now lit by the dull gray from outside as the curtains had been pulled back from the leaded bay windows and a servant was kneeling by the fire, building it up.

Gabrielle went past the bed and through the door into her own room beyond it, glancing around to see that the curtains had been pulled back there as well.   She went past the wardrobe that held her clothes and into the small bathing room behind it, seeing a basin of gently steaming water ready for her.

It felt wonderful to dip her hands into that.  The warmth went up her arms and made her shoulders relax, and she dipped a handful of it up to wash her face.   She turned as she heard footsteps behind her to find her servant there. “Good morning.”

“My lady.”  Mali bowed slightly. “Is it all to your liking?  I was about to bring up a tray from the kitchens.”

“That would be great.” Gabrielle agreed. “I know Xena’s hungry too.”

The girl looked nervous.  “Your grace, there is something I heard below.  Is it true the prince of the Westlands was killed here, last night?”

“Yes.” Gabrielle answered straightforwardly. 

“Why?”  Mali asked. “We heard the prince’s servants crying out.  They said his only wish was to protect her majesty.”

“Well.” Gabrielle sorted out the facts at her command, which weren’t really that factual once she thought about it.  What, really would serve Xena’s purpose to be known?  “You know, that might have been what the prince told everyone, but then he got dressed up in all black clothing, and a hood, and snuck into our chambers in the dark. “

“Oh.” Mali murmured.  “That wasn’t really wise of him!”

“No.”  Gabrielle agreed. “So I don’t really know for sure what his ideas were, you know? Because doing that could mean a lot of things, and no matter what he meant to do, it was a stupid and dangerous thing.”

“Oh yes, your grace, it was.”  Mali nodded positively.  “I don’t think his servants knew that. They were saying he had been called to the queen’s audience, and then…”

She paused.

“And then Xena just killed him?”  Gabrielle said.  “No.  That’s not what happened.  Xena didn’t call anyone into our quarters last night, and anyway,  why would someone dress up like a sneak if he was called?”

Mali nodded again.  “That doesn’t make sense. They didn’t say anything about the clothing. They were just saying… “ She paused again, and blushed.  “I beg my lady’s pardon.”

Gabrielle could imagine what they’d been saying.  “You might want to tell them it wouldn’t be a good idea to let Xena hear them say that. I think it would make her pretty mad.”

“My lady.”

“Matter of fact, it makes me pretty mad.” Gabrielle said. 

“I’m so sorry, m’lady.” Mali gasped.

“In fact, lets go down to the kitchen together.” Gabrielle steered her out towards the door that led to the narrow back steps.  “So I can make sure that message gets around.”

**

Xena poked her head around the doorframe, searching the small solar intently. “Hey!” 

There was no answer. 

The queen’s body followed her head, and she moved across Gabrielle’s room, aware that her consort wasn’t in it.  “Damn it.”   Since she hadn’t come out through the bedroom, the only conclusion Xena could come to was that she’d gone down the steps to the lower levels.

Not really unusual,  Gabrielle did tend to go up and down to the kitchens using those, rather than the main staircase outside.   But with things happening like they were… she didn’t like it.

Purposefully, she opened the door and started down the steps herself, taking them two at a time as she dropped quickly towards the lower door.

The thought of Gabrielle down there, even in the kitchens she reasonably expected were friendly chilled her to the very core.  The intruder had gotten into the damned banqueting hall so she was sure he could get into the lower rooms just as easily.

Damn it. Damn it.  

Xena got to the bottom of the steps and stiffarmed the door into the lower levels, passing through the set of storerooms that were between the steps and the kitchen entrance.   Her ears cocked, listening for her consorts voice, but she could only hear the rattle and clatter of the staff getting ready to serve the morning meal to the rest of the stronghold.

She clamped her jaw shut to keep herself from yelling Gabrielle’s name.

The kitchen was busy but it threw itself into a stutter when the queen’s tall, distinctive figure cleared the door and bodies started to turn to face her.   Xena drew in a deep breath to let out a bellow, but just as she was about to start, she spotted Gabrielle in the back, near the cook pots.

“Mmph.”  She let the breath out with a slight grunt.  Giving the staff a dour look she angled towards the fire, watching her consort’s body language as she stood surrounded by strange servants.   Gabrielle didn’t look scared, but she had her fists planted very cutely on her hips and it was obvious she was ticked off about something.

As she approached,  Gabrielle turned her head and spotted her, almost as though she felt her presence.  Xena slowed her pace, seeing a smile appear on her consort’s face, and she reached out to take the now extended hand thrust in her direction. “Muskrat.”

The servants all looked properly  terrified.  Xena was pleased. 

“Hi.  I was going to bring your breakfast right back up.” Gabrielle told her. “I was just straightening out a few people… I mean things.. down here.”

“Now were you?”  Xena eyed the servants.  “You all belong to that halfwit cockbrain I offed in my salon this morning?”

“Xena.”   Gabrielle squeezed her fingers.

“Do you?”  The queen asked, glaring at the men.

“Your majesty, we do have that honor.” One of the men said, in a soft voice. “We loved our prince very much.”

“How charming” Xena said. “So why does my consort need to be here dealing with you?” She eyed Gabrielle.  “What did they do, piss in the morning ale?”

“Xena.” Gabrielle came closer and tangled their fingers together. “They just didn’t know what really happened so I told them.”

Really?  Xena flicked a glance at the servants. Which real story had Gabrielle told them, she wondered The real, real story, or the real story she’d told Brendan, or the real fabrication she wanted everyone else to know?  “I see.”

“Your majesty, I’m sure the prince meant you no harm.”

“I’m sure too.”  Xena said.  “He wasn’t suicidal just stupid.”  She circled the servants, making them even more nervous. Her own people crept back, disappearing from the area and withdrawing to the other part of the kitchen.  “So tell me.  Any of you see him leave last night?”

Gabrielle released her, and edged to one side, picking up a tray and getting busy getting them some grub., leaving Xena to her questioning.

That alone, drew her offcourse.  She watched Gabrielle move, studying her posture and trying to decide if she was upset at her badgering the staff or just hungry.

“We all did, your majesty.” The man who had spoken before spoke again.  “That’s how we know the prince meant you  no harm. He told everyone he was going to guard your quarters against the assassin.”

“What?”  Xena half turned, dragging her attention back. 

“Yes.” The man nodded eagerly.  “That’s what he told us. He was going to catch the assassin, and he was sure that would bring him your favor.” He said. “Especially since he told us you called for him.”

“I called for him?” Xena pointed at her own chest. “I didn’t call for him.”

“That’s what your… ah, the lady Gabrielle told us.” The man admitted.  “But the prince assured us you had sent for him and we were all glad.”

‘I didn’t send for him.”  Xena repeated.

“He had your note, majesty.” The man said, in a meek tone. “We saw it.” He turned towards Gabrielle. “We showed her. She has it..”

Xena digested that silently.  “Gabrielle.” She said quietly. “Hand it here.”

Her consort did, leaving the tray for a minute and crossing back over to her, pulling a bit of parchment from her belt and extending it.  Xena took it, and opened it, meeting Gabrielle’s eyes before she looked down.

She could see a look of faint uncertainty there, and it enraged her.   She looked down at the parchment, her own eyes opening wide as she recognized what was, without a doubt, her own handwriting on it.

Come find me.  We need to talk.  X

The shock sent chills down her spine, until she blinked, and recalled the words she’d written, and when. “Clever.” She said. “I wrote this all right.” She saw the twitch work through Gabrielle’s lips. “Just not to him.” She handed the note back to Gabrielle “That’s the note I sent to Lastay to have him come find me.”

Gabrielle exhaled a little, obviously trying not to look obviously relieved.

“Mm. Saved the bastard’s life. Probably that’s why they used it to fool Philtop.”   Xena shook her head briefly.  “Picked it up in Lastay’s rooms.” She looked up at the servants. “I didn’t summon him.  If I’d wanted to off him, I’d have just done it.  No need to trick him into coming to my rooms for it.”

“Majesty.”  The servant bowed his head, but Xena could hear the doubt in his voice and it made her angry. 

“Get out of here.” She pointed at the door. “All of you.”

The servants hastily left, and she turned to her quietly watching companion.  “What are you doing down here?”

Gabrielle turned and went back to assembling their tray. “Well, Mali told me that those guys were down here saying you told Philtop to come to your bed and then killed him so I wanted to set them straight.”

Xena studied the slim figure. “Note freak you out?”

Gabrielle silently nodded.

“Me too, before I remembered when I wrote it.” The queen said, coming over to put her hands on Gabrielle’s shoulders. “Muskrat, I’m running out of ways to tell you I’m not the unfaithful whore you apparently think I am.”

Gabrielle turned abruptly and stared up at her. “What?” She said. “I don’t think that!”

The horror rang true.  Xena gazed quietly into the stormy green eyes facing her.  “They do.” She glanced around the kitchen. ‘Half the damn stronghold probably does.  Hades, I’m capable of that, y’know?”

“I don’t want to think that.”  Gabrielle whispered. “It’s not you I doubt, Xena, It’s me.”

Xena sighed, resting her forearms on her consort’s shoulders, wanting very much to pick up her sword and run through the stronghold butchering everything in her path.   Better that, than having a sensitive chat, anyway.

Gabrielle looked away, and her skin turned a dull pink.  “Everyone says I’m just an embarrassment to you.  That everyone laughs at me.”

“Who?”  Xena gently asked.  “Who says that? Give me a name, sweetheart, so I can find them and kill them.” She added, in a warmly affectionate though bloodthirsty tone.  “Before we have breakfast.”

That made Gabrielle look up at her again.  “I love you so much I think it makes me a little nutty.”  She said. “I’m so scared I’ll lose you.”

The simple admission touched Xena’s heart unexpectedly, the rawness in it bringing a very surprising sting of tears to her eyes. 

Right there, in the kitchen.   And damn it, Gabrielle saw them.   The queen exhaled. She looked quickly to either side, finding them isolated in the kitchen, with no sign of anyone else around.   “Gabrielle.” She paused. “Having you think I’d throw you away for some pretty boy or anyone else really hurts me.”  She studied the now grave eyes looking up at her. “Please don’t do that.  Life’s painful enough without you adding that to mine.”

Now there were tears in Gabrielle’s eyes.

“Don’t be afraid.”  The queen’s voice dropped to a whisper. “I will never leave you.”  She watched Gabrielle’s expression closely, seeing the faint narrowing of her eyes and the equally faint tilt to her head before she lifted their joined hands up and kissed Xena’s fingers.

That seemed a good sign.  Xena tilted her own head, and waited, as Gabrielle took a breath and her expression cleared, becoming open and loving, as a faint smile worked its way onto her lips.  “So.” She said. “You so hungry it’s made you mute?”

The smile intensified. Gabrielle just nodded.

“I’ll have to remember that.”  Xena leaned forward and kissed her on the head. “Don’t go south on me, love.  I need you.” She whispered.  “No matter what else that bastard does here if he screws us up he’s won.”

“Never.” Gabrielle stated, finally finding her tongue.  “Xena, even if you would toss me out for some other person I’d spend the rest of my life outside your door because there’s no where else for my heart to go.”

Xena heard her heart beat suddenly in her ears, as the words rang in them. She kissed Gabrielle’s head again, and gave her a hug. “All right. So now that we’ve dripped mushy goo all over the floor and left a mess the damn skullerys will need to clean up let’s get a biscuit before we both start crying like teething babes.”

“Okay.”  Gabrielle returned the hug. “I’m sorry, Xena.  That’s an awful way to start the day out.”

“Yeah, it sure was.”  The queen sighed. “You better get me something really good for that.  I’m starving.”  She draped her arm over Gabrielle’s shoulder as they turned back towards the hearth. “Then we’ll go see what Brendan found last night, and visit the Persians.”

“Can we get dressed first?”

Xena chuckled wryly. “Spoilsport.”

**

Gabrielle was more than glad to be fastening the buckles on her  boots once they’d eaten their fill from the tray and gotten cleaned up from breakfast.   She stood up and tugged her tabard straight, adjusting the belt on it and relived to feel the leather around her.

She stuck her little knife in it’s sheath in her boot top, and picked up her parchment case, heading back into the bedroom where Xena was just fastening the catches on her house armor.  The black leather was one of her favorite outfits to see the queen in and she gently patted her hip as she went by and sat down on the bench to wait.

Gabrielle had taken a minute to write down what they’d said to each other, and stuck it away in her case to look at later.   She still felt a little giddy from it.  “Those were pretty good eggs, huh?”

“Pretty good everything.”  Xena was attaching her sword in it’s sheath to her back.  “Okay, let’s go.” She picked up her long dagger and slid it into it’s catch just above the base of her spine and checked the layer of leather and brass armor over her shoulders.

A knock at the door made her look around. “Come.”

The door opened, and Brendan entered. “Ready,  Xena?” 

“Let’s go.” The queen answered, motioning Gabrielle to join her. “What’s the word?” She asked, as they headed out the door and went down the steps into the grand entrance hall.

“Well.” Brendan led the way down towards the lower corridors. “Thems what came with him are tearing their clothes up over it.” He said. “Sure he’s wronged, and all.”

“Uh huh”

“Others I heard say twas a wonder you waited so long.” Brendan smiled grimly. “Didn’t care for his games yesterday.”

“Huh.” Xena handed him the folded parchment. “If you believe it, the bastard was tricked to death.” She said. “His people said he got that, thought it was me asking for him.”

Brendan studied the note, then looked at Xena.

“It is my handwriting.” The queen said. “That’s the note I sent to Lastay when I wanted to talk to him, the day we had the show in the dancing hall.”

“Huh!”

“Yeah.”  Xena said. “Must have picked it up when he tried to off my good Duke.”

Brendan sighed and rubbed his forehead. “Feel like an ass, Xena.” He said. “Man goes about killing people at will and not one of us can find him.”

“Imagine how I feel?”  Xena trotted down the steps, her sword bouncing a little on her back. “So where is this.. ah.” She spotted a brace of guards at the very end of the corridor and headed towards them.  “Morning, boys.”

“Majesty.” The two guards touched their chest.  “Heard we’re one less pointy this morning.” The one of the left added, one of her older men, a veteran who had earned the right to ask her things.

“We are.” Xena knelt beside the pile they’d found.  There was  a leather bag, very worn and on one end, tattered. She slipped her gauntlets from under her belt and put them on, then picked up the bag and examined it.

Gabrielle circled around and took a seat on the small bench against the wall, watching her.  “What’s in there?”

Xena fished out the contents.  “Looks like our man’s a man.” She put down a shaving kit, a long, thin blade and knob of soap with a scattering of thick, short hairs in it. “Or a kinky woman.”

Gabrielle frowned, studying the item, then she looked at Xena with a puzzled expression.

Next, the queen drew out a handful of darts. “Ah.” 

The soldiers were watching her and they nodded. “Stickers.”  The older one said.  “Likely what they hit them two boys with.”

“Yep.”  Xena brought the handful up to her face and sniffed the tips, jerking her head back a little at the acrid scent.  It was more pungent than she’d expected, and she could almost taste the bitterness on the back of her tongue.

She put them back down and then turned the bag over, shaking it to remove any further contents since even leather gauntlets could be punctured by a sharp enough point.   A bundled rag fell out, and a folded piece of linen, and then, in a rapid tumble, two black shirts and a pair of slippers.

Xena paused, studying the ground.

Slippers?  She reached out and picked one up. It was thin and soft, made to conform snugly to the foot.  The sole was thin and flexible, and seemed a bit tacky when she pressed it with her gloved fingertip.

“What’s that there, mistress?” Brendan came to look over her shoulder. 

“I’m not sure.”  Xena admitted. “Shoes, but.. “

Brendan reached over and touched the sole “Sticky.”

“Yeah.” Xena agreed. “But why?”

Gabrielle cleared her throat. “In my village.” She said. “The boys who had to collect walnuts used shoes with honey smeared on the bottom to climb with. They got better grip with them.”

Xena and Brendan looked at her, then looked at each other.

“Wow.” Xena murmured. “Who knew?”

She gave the bag one more shake, but it was empty.  She sorted through the debris, but aside from confirming the sex of the intruder, it really didn’t tell her much at all.  The shirts and the rest of the items were common, and local. 

The shoes though. She picked up one of the slippers and studied it again.   Then she looked up at Gabrielle. “Take your boots off, muskrat. Let’s see what this gets us.”

Amiably, her consort put her parchment case down and started to unbuckle one of her boots.  “I don’t think I can climb trees no matter how sticky those are.”

“I don’t think he was climbing trees.” Xena said, tapping the toe of the shoe against her knee.  “Maybe this is why we havent’ been able to catch him.” She tipped her head back and studied the ceiling. “And I think now we know how big he is. “ She held up the shoe. “Because this sure isn’t going to fit any of the rest of us.”

**

Gabrielle carefully placed her feet on the wall,  her hands wrapped firmly around a bell pull attached to a hook high over her head. “Um.”

“Your’e doing great, muskrat.”  Xena called up. “Don’t worry. If you fall, I’ll let ya fall on top of me.”

Somehow, Gabrielle wasn’t entirely comforted.  Her arms ached, and she felt like she might have to let the rope go at any minute. But she was halfway up the wall, and the shoes seemed to stick to the surface like a bee’s.

It was amazing, if scary.  “Isn’t this high enough?” Gabrielle asked, glancing down and then wishing she hadn’t. “My feet stick, see?”

“They sure do.” Xena agreed. “How does that feel? You think you could make it up to the ceiling?”

Gabrielle looked up. “I think someone else could.” She admitted. “I think I’d fall down before I got much further.”

“See anything up there?”

See anything? Gabrielle felt her arms start to shake.  She took a breath, and managed to haul herself up another step, wrapping her hands around the rope and squeezing it as hard as she could.  All she could see is the wall, and some cobwebs.  “Nothing much, just a lot of dust.” She called down.

“Dust.”

“Yeah.” She leaned forward a little. “Just that and some places where the… “ She paused.  “Just these little holes, sort of.”

“Holes?”

Gabrielle peered at them.  They were, really, just holes.  The only thing that was a little funny about them was how many there were. “Yeah, sort of.. “ She looked up. “Kinda going up the roof there.. like little black.. whoa!”

The rope she was holding onto jerked taut abruptly, and the next thing she new she was swinging back away from the wall and she yelped in shock and terror, her legs dropping and the rope burning her hands just long enough to make her cry out before a strong arm grabbed her and she was being held in place. “Sheeps!”

“No, just me.”  Xena had her legs wrapped around the rope and was holding them both up. “Show me those holes.”

Gabrielle pointed.

“Ahhh.”  The queen swung them both closer to the wall. “Grab that sconce, muskrat. Haul us over there.”

Gabrielle, her arms now free, complied. She pulled them both close to the rock surface, and Xena inclined her head forward, peering at them.  “Huh.”

“I thought they were just cracks but see? They’re almost square.” Gabrielle commented. “Sort of like.. I could make a picture in my head of pegs or something going in there.”

“Hah.”  Without any warning, Xena released the rope and they were plummeting to the ground a second later.  She bent her knees and took the shock of the double weight, then straightened and let Gabrielle down.  “Good job, cute stuff.”

Gabrielle cautiously opened her eyes, and then she looked down, slightly surprised to find the ground under her feet.  “Thanks.”

Xena tilted her head back, and put her fists on her hips.  “What’s that up there, Brendan?” She pointed. “Up near the edge of the ceiling. See it?”

Brendan shaded his eyes, and then gave his queen a wry look. “Nothing but shadows, Xena.” He admitted. “Not to these old eyes, anyway.  Kebbin?” He motioned one of the younger soldiers forward. “See anything up there, son?”

Kebbin, a man of middling height and thick, curly brown hair stepped forward and peered up.  “Tis a grate, sir.” He said.  “Isn’t it”

“It is.” The queen confirmed. “It’s an iron grate, with some kind of imprint in it.”  She started looking around the floor.  “And I want to see it better.  Brendan, open those windows.” She ordered, crisply. “One of you go get a shield, and it better be clean.”

Brendan scrambled to do her bidding., and one of the other soldiers left at a run. 

“Y’majesty.” Kebbin stepped forward. “Would ya like me to climb up to the top there, and look better?” He pointed at the rope.  “I kin make it up there. My da was a sailor and I grew up climbing the lines.”

Xena studied him for a long moment, then she gestured to the rope. “Have it it, kid.”

Kebbin spat on his hands and then he jumped up and grabbed the rope, swarming up it much as Xena just had.  He moved past where Gabrielle had stopped before, and pulled himself up close to the ceiling. 

“Here you are, your majesty.”  A soldier came in with a shield, offering it to Xena.

“Thanks.” Xena took it, and moved around, positioning herself behind the rope facing the window that now let in some filtered, gray light. 

“Can’t see too much, your majesty.” Kebbin grunted.  “Just a grate.”

Xena tilted the shield, reflecting the light from the window in a skittering flash of gray that travelled up the wall and focused at last on the grate. “How’s that?”

Kebbin blinked. “Zeus!”  He blurted.   “There’s a …  your majesty! Was something there!  Eyes lookin at me!” He swung back and forth on the rope. “It’s gone!”

Gabrielle had come up behind Xena, and now she touched the queen’s back, drawing in a breath.

“Hmmm.”  Xena rumbled softly, deep in her throat.   “Brendan, get ropes and poles. I want a scaffolding in here in less than a candlemark.  Move it!”

Soldiers bolted in all directions. 

“What else do you see up there, kid?”  Xena asked. “Tell me about the grate. What’s it look like?”

Kebbin wrapped his legs around the rope and peered at the grate, as the light flickered over it.  “Gots a thing of arms here.” He said. “Round thing, I think.”

“One half dark, one half light, with a cat’s head on top?” Xena asked.

Kebbin looked down at her. “Bigods, Majesty, can you see it from there?”

“No.” Xena shook her head. “It’s my predecessor’s coat of arms.”  She said. “All right, c’mon down.  We’ll get a better look when we build a bunch of ladders to go up there.”

“What was that up there?” Gabrielle whispered. 

Kibbin slid down and dusted his hands off. “Whop.” He glanced at Xena. “Give me a turn, that did.  Dind’t like them eyes peeking out at me.” He said. “Took off when that light came up, majesty.”

“What kind of eyes were they?” Xena asked  “Was it a cat? A rat?  A person?”

“Didn’t get much look at it.” Kibbin looked “Didn’t look like no cat though.  Big round eyes, they were.”  He glanced up at the grate. “Didn’t spect the light, ran then.”

“Stick around.”  Xena said. “In fact,  someone get me all the men your size or smaller.” She studied the grate. “Because my shoulders aren’t going to fit in there, that’s for sure, and the muskrat’s not crawling in there either.”

“Phew.”  Gabrielle let out a breath.

Xena glanced at her.  “Tell me you didn’t really think I was gonna shove your adorable ass in that hole.”

“Well.”  Her consort edged a bit closer to her. “I’m sorta the right size.”

“Gabrielle.” Xena planted her hands on her hips.  “Gimme a break.”   She glowered until Gabrielle pressed herself against her body, giving her an apologetic hug.  She draped her arm over the shorter woman’s shoulders and savored the warmth, her eyes lifting again to the grate.

At last, she felt like she was going somewhere with this.  Searching the dungeons had got her nothing but some scraps and attempts at pincushioning.  She knew she could be chasing the bastard around in the lower halls all winter and not really have a chance to catch him, there were so many passages, and so many places to hide.

But that grate, now.  Xena smiled, as she heard the soldiers start to return, with the construction materials she’d ordered. That grate went somewhere, and it went somewhere she had no personal knowledge of.

“Y’know something, muskrat.” She gently rubbed the edge of her thumb against Gabrielle’s arm.  “I got real lazy real fast in this place.”

Gabrielle looked up at her. “Huh?”

“Why didn’t I know that grate was there?” Xena asked. “Why didn’t I scope out all the tunnels, and do something with em?”

“I’m sure you were busy.  With all the soldiers and stuff.” Gabrielle said.

“I’m sure I was a complacent post adolescent jackass who was too busy wiping my ass with velvet robes to really get a handle on this place.”  Xena sighed. “Damn it, why do I have to learn everything the hard way?”

The soldiers were assembling the ladders, and Brendan was pointing up at the grate, and ordering a hook to yank it out of the wall.   Xena was content to step back and keep Gabrielle safe from any flying debris as they watched.

“How could you learn everything the hard way, Xena? You know everything.” Gabrielle objected. “WOuldn’t it have taken you a whole lot longer if you learned it the hard way?”

Xena looked down and found those open, honest eyes watching her. “I don’t know everything.” She whispered. “But don’t you tell anyone that. “

Gabrielle hugged her seemingly content to stay nestled against Xena’s side as they watched the men work.  She lifted one hand up and examined it, grimacing a little as she flexed her fingers. 

Xena caught the motion. She took hold of her consort’s hand and examined it, making her own face at the raw, scuffed skin.  “That from the rope?”

Gabrielle nodded. “Yeah.”

“Sorry, muskrat.”  The queen lifted her hand higher and kissed the palm. “See? Dumbass thing for me to ask you to do.”

That was charming.   Gabrielle leaned closer and gave the queen a kiss on the shoulder.  “It’s okay.” She said. “I’ve never climbed up a rope before.  It was harder than I thought it would be, and then you made it look like it was nothing.”

The queen chuckled softly.  “Kibbin’s not the only one who hauled their ass up and down the sheets on a ship.”  She admitted. ‘I did my share of that.”

Gabrielle tried to imagine her lover climbing up the mast and found it quite easy to do. Xena had a way of making you believe she could do and be anything and suddenly,  she wished she’d been there in that earlier time in the queen’s life.

It would have been so much fun.  She could picture herself as a scruffy ragamuffin, maybe helping the ship’s cook while Xena steered them to their next adventure.  After a moment, she let out a sigh.

“Hand still hurt?”  Xena examined it more closely.   “Ah.” She turned Gabrielle’s hand toward the light, and bent her head over it. “Splinter.”

Gabrielle had a very close view of Xena’s profile, as she concentrated on extracting the tiny sliver from her palm.  As always, she was serious and intent, totally focused on what she was doing with a look of fierce attention so typical of her.

Gently, she reached up with her free hand and pushed a bit of hair obscuring the queens’ eyes back behind her ear rewarded when those beautiful eyes shifted and Xena’s lips eased into a smile.

She could get lost in those eyes, and for a moment as the world faded out and she did, almost sure she could hear both of their heartbeats thumping in the same rhythm.

It was a sweet and magical  moment.  She didn’t know why they were having it, but as it lengthened, she could see the growing amusement in Xena’s eyes and leaned forward to kiss her before she started laughing.

They parted a little, and Xena gently squeezed her hand, then released it.  “All better?” The queen asked.

Gabrielle gazed dreamily at her. “What was the question?”

“Heh.” Xena patted her lightly on the cheek.  “You’re cute.”  She ruffled Gabrielle’s hair, and turned to watch the soldiers build the scaffold, already halfway up to the grate.  She could feel the tingle of Gabrielle’s lips on hers still, and the warmth pressed against her side was leeching comfort into her in a surprisingly nice way.

Xena let the building and movement moved past her, as she examined the feeling in her gut.  Gabrielle’s head was leaning on her shoulder as her consort watched the men work too, and her hand had come to rest casually on Xena’s thigh, fingertips gently tracing a pattern there.

This was love. Xena felt a little humbled by it.   It was a very stupid place for her to be having an internal revelation, but she admitted to herself right there, in the hall, surrounded by soldiers that what she felt at that moment was something she never wanted to live without again.

Scary as crap.

For a minute, Xena let herself imagine what it would have been like if she had, when Philtop had asked, just handed over her throne and took off.  Just left, with her sword, and her horse, and her adorable muskrat just to find out what life had to offer her.

“Xena?”

“Hmm?”  Xena held the image in her head, feeling the crunch of snow under her boots and the sting of the cold air in her lungs, on a long road, with miles to go before shelter. 

“Where do you think that tunnel goes?”  Gabrielle asked, as the soldiers reached the top, and two of them gripped the metal and started yanking it back out of the wall.  “Why would they put it up near the roof?”

She could hear the slow, rhythmic thonk of horse hooves, and at the edge of her awareness, the sound of a voice at her side as she walked along. 

“Xena?”

She let the image fade, but didn’t forget it. “I don’t know, muskrat.”  Xena tilted her head back.  “Are there more of these? You think you’ve seen them?” She shook herself out of her lovestruck mooning and approached the scaffolding. “let’s go look.”

They climbed up, ending up behind the soldiers who were working the grate out of the stone.  Brendan had brought torches up onto the platform and he had one near the opening, and was peering inside.

“What’s in there old man?”  Xena asked.   She got up onto the top platform and squeezed between the men, pausing to examine the grate that was now resting sideways on the wood surface.   The metal was old, and it was almost a burned shade of black. 

She touched it, and found it very cold. “Huh.” She moved over to the opening and felt cold air against her face, full of dust and the smell of moss.   The gap was large enough for someone Gabrielle’s size to crawl into it, and someone Kebbin’s size to squeeze into it, but as she suspected there was no way she was going in there herself.

With a grunt of disappointment, she cleared space. “Okay,  let’s go hunting, boys.”

Kebbin squirmed past her without hesitation, putting his dagger between his teeth as he eased into the shaft, holding a cup mounted candle in his left hand.  He paused, then squirmed forward, his heels moving out of view after a moment as he moved forward.

Another man immediately climbed in after him, similarly equipped.

“Boys.”  Xena leaned on the wall. “If you find someone in there, kill em. Don’t wait for advice, m’kay?”

“Yes, mistress.”  Kebbin called back.  “So far, nought but cobwebs and a spider.”

Xena made a face.  “Better you than me, kid.” She stepped back and examined the grate again. “Brendan, I want everyone to scour the damn place, find me more of these things.”

“Aye.” Brendan said. “Xena, men just told me the snow’s so bad outside, it’s heavy on the roofs.” He said. “Don’t want to risk any collapsing – especially  the stables.”

“No way” Xena  scrambled for the edge of the platform. “C’mon muskrat, let’s go check.”  She was halfway down the scaffolding in a breath.  “Brendan, I want to know what those guys find.”

“Aye, mistress.” Brendan agreed.

“I”ll stop and pick up the Persians. They can move snow for me it’ll be a novel experience for them.” Xena got to the bottom, hopped down, turned, and plucked Gabrielle off the next platform up and lifted her to the ground. 

“I hope Patches is okay.”  Gabrielle said, with a worried frown.  “Boy, so many things are going weird right now.”

“What do you mean weird?” Xena asked, as they quickly moved up the steps and into the main hall.

“Well, the weather.” Gabrielle said, “All this snow? It’s just turned fall, Xena. “ She hurried to catch up to the queen. “And then the whole thing with the bad guy, and Philtop, and people getting hurt, and people getting killed, and then the circus and all that.”

“Huh.” Xena muttered.

“And now you find these little tunnels? All of a sudden?” Gabrielle went on. “It’s all just so weird!”

It was weird. Xena remained silent as they headed for the lower barracks, aware that things were starting to swirl along out of her control, as whoever her enemies were here stepped up their attacks. It had started off with a little mystery, and a man dead.

Now?

She thought she saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye. But when she turned her head to look, there was nothing.  She could hear the sound of the Persians ahead of her, and she could see them moving in her direction, excitement sharpening their voices.  “Need your help.” She told them. “Let’s get over to the stables, we could have a problem.”

In an instant, she was surrounded by big, bearded men, and they were all heading down the passage that would come up into the central courtyard where the stables were, and the main storehouses.   Xena could feel the cold increasing, and in reflex, she reached back to make sure her sword was in place, just as they got to the end of the hall and one of the Persians eased in front of her to unlatch the hatch leading up into the open air.

Xena heard a crack, and the sound of something very heavy thundering down on top of the wooden surface, and instinctively she half turned and went to shove Gabrielle out of the way only to find her arm grabbed, and jerked powerfully, knocking her offbalance and making her stumble to the side just as the roof crashed down with a thundering roar.

She spun and lunged, only to see Gabrielle and the Persian disappear under a cascade of debris, and snow, a half sounded cry cutting off as though by a knife.  “Gabrielle!”

Terror thundered through her as  she thought she heard a laugh to one side and a split second before she dove on the pile of ice she turned and pulled her sword, aiming for the sound in a moment of utter furious rage.

A wash of hot blood erupted, laying down with a hiss on the snow as she plunged after it, letting out a wordless howl as she dug.

**

“Get me hot water.”  Xena didn’t turn her attention from the still, pale figure on the bed.  “And heat some sheets up, by the fire.”

People scurried to do her bidding, but her focus was on that quiet face, and the just barely moving chest her hand was resting on.

Barely a mark on her, except that big, swelling lump on her head, and the trickle of dried blood standing out in stark relief below her right ear. 

Xena very gently lifted up one of her lover’s eyelids, feeling her heart sink when she saw the unresponsive glassiness to the eye beneath it, and the open, unchanging pupil in the center.  She let the lid close, and started to shake inside.

Problem with being an amoral killer was, you knew, intimately, what death looked like when it came creeping up to settle it’s feathers around your victim. 

So Xena knew, seeing that uneven movement of Gabrielle’s chest, and the dull eye that the sound she could just barely hear over the shattering of her heart were those feathers, fluttering.

She could feel her own breath coming short, as the soldiers behind her gently offered her the warmed linen, carefully helped to tuck it around Gabrielle’s still body, silent and  reverent. Only Brendan touched her, putting a hand on Xena’s shoulder and squeezing it without any permission asked or needed.

The hot water was placed on the bedside table and she took the offered piece of cloth, dipping it in and then gently cleaning the blood off Gabrielle’s face and her ear, wiping off the debris from the avalanche as she watched that uneven motion of her breathing become even more so.

Someone entered the room, and her peripheral vision caught a quick flash of Jellaus’ somber face, as he came around behind her, touched her back gently, and then settled down on his knees, not there to do anything but be present.

They all knew.  Xena felt like yelling at them, screaming that they were wrong, but she couldn’t, her heart bound up so tightly in painful constriction that she could only barely breathe herself, silently accepting the unspoken devotion surrounding her.

Strange that now, in this moment of utter disaster, that they’d choose to express it. 

No one spoke.   In the corner,  Lakmas the Persian knelt with his hands clasped, his head bowed. He had been the one who had helped Xena clear the wood and the ice off Gabrielle, and had carried her here to their rooms, since Xena’s knees had been shaking to badly for her to do it.

Xena rested her hands on the bed, feeling as helpless as she ever had in her life.   Outside she could hear the patter of sleet against the window, and the chill in the room shook her to her very core.  “Stir the fire up.” She ordered, softly.

A soldier went to do that.

Xena folded her hands around Gabrielle’s still one, feeling the chill in it, despite the warm sheets she was now wrapped up in.  She touched the inside of her consorts wrist, her heart stopping until she felt the flutter against her fingertips, the beats so unsteady they almost seemed random.

Gabrielle was dying.  

Xena felt tears sting her eyes, and she closed them, the wet droplets hitting her hands, and the hand she squeezed with no response.  Here was something all her skill at arms, and all the force of her will couldn’t stop and she opened her eyes again to look at that quiet, still face, all the pain of what this meant to her coming home.

Leaning forward she gathered Gabrielle’s body into her arms and hugged her, holding her gently as her head came to rest on Xena’s shoulder. “Don’t’ leave me.”  Xena whispered into the ear so near to her cheek.  “Please don’t leave me.”

She really didn’t care who heard her, or who was in the room, or what was going to happen next.

All she cared about was the soul slipping through her grasp, the breath growing fainter, the flutter of a heartbeat becoming indistinct.

No.

**

Pain.

Gabrielle was chiefly aware of a great deal of pain.   She didn’t really know where she was, or what had happened to her, but breathing hurt, and she felt like she was just floating in darkness.

Then it all faded and she could see a gentle glow of light.  It surrounded her and buoyed her up, and she imagined she could feel the brush of clouds against her skin.   She opened her eyes, or thought she did, and saw a brighter light approaching her, bringing a welcome warmth.

It was a relief.  She’d been so cold.  The warmth soaked through the ache in her bones and lightened in, and she found her breath coming easier, as the light surrounded her.

She could hear whispers around her now.  Voices off in the light that she could hear, but not understand.  The light seemed to concentrate and she looked at it, reaching out to touch it but finding herself unable to move.

So strange.

“Gabrielle.”  A gentle, quiet voice spoke.

“Yes.” She whispered back.

“It’s time for you to rest. Come with me.”

“What happened?” She tried to turn her head, and couldn’t.

“It’s your time.” The voice answered. “I will take you to your family, they’re waiting for you.”

Gabrielle floated there for a time, thinking.  “My family?”

“Your mother, and your father, and your sister, and a baby brother you never knew you had.” The voice said. “They all want to see you. They’re waiting. Come with me.”

Baby brother?  Gabrielle wondered. “What’s happening to me?” She asked. “Am I … did I die?”

“Yes.”

Oh no.  Gabrielle became aware of an overwhelming sorrow that hit her right in the gut, the pain so intense it made the light fade, and started a roaring in her ears.  “Oh no it’s not true” She got out. “Please tell me it’s nto true. I can’t… I don’t want to….”

“Gabrielle.”

“Noo!!!” She started to struggle against the paralysis holding her still. 

“Gabrielle, you must come with me.  Your family is waiting for you.” The voice insisted. “You can’t fight it. It’s time.”

Don’t’ leave me.  Gabrielle suddenly heard another voice.   “Xena!”

Please don’t leave me.   The voice came again, so full of aching sadness it blocked out the sound of the voice near her, and the whispers.   I don’t’ want to live without you. Please don’t go.    Every word rang like a bell in her head, the rawness, and the anguish coming through so clearly it made her start crying.

It was Xena. She knew it.  Begging her, simply and openly and Gabrielle started to fight her inability to move, wrenching at the unseen bonds with everything she had. “Let me go!”  She told the voice.  “I don’t want to go with you.”

“Your family wants you.”

“I don’t want them!”  Gabrielle growled. “I want to stay with Xena! Let me go!”  She could feel a strong pull drawing her towards the light, yanking against something she could feel holding her back, a thin, delicate line growing thinner and thinner even as she felt it, unraveling as the light pulled her faster ahead.

She heard a cry in her mind, a gasp of grief that broke her heart and it was too much.  It was too much, and her will suddenly exploded in a flurry of clouds and darkness, and she turned against the pull and reached back to grab the fading line, clutching it in her hands that were suddenly able to move.

Gabrielle.   Her name, in a whisper so soft, and so pitieous it was like a knife cutting through her.  She tightened her grip and kicked out behind her, against the insistent pull. “NO!”

Don’t leave me. Please.

The voice came back. “Go back now, and you will never come here again, Gabrielle.”

“Let me go!”

“You will go into the darkness, stay in the darkness, and suffer with her.”

Gabrielle felt her arms giving out, as she held against the pull. “That’s what I want.”  She managed to gasp.  “If  her soul burns in Tartarus for eternity, I want mine to burn next to it.”

The pull stopped. Stopped so abruptly that she was flung in a rush from the light back into the darkness, and her body collapsed back into a wave of pain. 

“So be it. May the fires take you.”

The darkness became blackness, and there was noise, and the sound of flames and then it felt like her head was exploding and breathing hurt and…

**

Brendan walked stiffly across the inner courtyard, his face a mask.  There was no healer he could get, no magic potion he could buy, nothing he could do to bring comfort to the suffering he’d left behind him in Xena’s quarters.

It was shattering to him to see Xena reduced to helpless tears.  He’d seen her fight through pain that would kill any three other people, seen her stand tall against a hundred enemies, suffer cuts and wounds, and the devastation of her brother’s death and in all that nothing had ever brought her to her knees.

Now this had.  Brendan felt helpless.  He headed back to where the accident had happened, intent on finding some clue, getting some report, that would let him come back to Xena and give her the thing that had caused her such pain  spitted on his sword.

“Hey.”

Brendan turned his head, to see on of Philtop’s guard coming towards him. “No time for you.” He said, brushing past.

“Yah? Hear the little pig whelp got kilt. True?”

Brendan felt the rage take him.  He turned and drew his sword, jamming it two handed up into the man’s ribcage, feeling the blade grate against his backbone as it came out the other side.

“Gurk.” The man gasped, his eyes bugging out.

Brendan yanked his blade back in, then hacked the man’s face, splitting it in half and sending splinters of bone across the front of the stable.

“Wa..!”  One of the man’s fellow guards rushed out. “Hold! What are you doing!”

“Killing.” Brendan snarled, chopping the man’s head off, then hacking his hand from his wrist. “Want to be next?” He kicked the man’s body over and turned to face the newcomer, blood dripping on the ground and spattered over his armor.

Two of his own men bolted out., drawing their swords.

“Say a word about either of em.”  Brendan yelled. “And I’ll cut your hearts out!”

“You’ve got no right to..’ The man backed up rapidly as he just missed being cut. “You’re crazy!” He turned and ran, colliding with the rest of Philtops guard pouring out of the barracks.  “That bastard killed Guron!”

A horn rang out, and the sound of running bootsteps thundered closer as Xena’s men responded. “That’s the bastard’s scum!” Brendan pointed at t the guard. “Probly brought the one that’s killed our little one with em! Let’s get em!”

Swords came out, and men yelled in rage on both sides, and the barracks became a tangle of bodies and blood.

**

It was done.   Xena felt the last motion still beneath her fingers, and the spot on her neck Gabrielle’s faint breaths had been warming became, and stayed cold.

The body she was holding grew heavy and she started crying helplessly, her entire body shaking from it out of her control.   The grief was overwhelming and she surrendered to it, feeling a touch on her back and gentle hands holding her.

It didn’t’ touch the pain, a knife wound to the gut she suddenly, vividly wished was real.  Dying herself would be far less agonizing

And then Xena felt the cool, still body clasped her arms jerk and she gasped as she felt the faintest, softest breath of air against her neck again, and the uneven patter against her fingertips got over it’s terrifying stutter and settled.

By the gods.  Xena shivered with the shock of it, her mind blurring into a mixture of fear and relief that made her sick to her stomach.

She hiccupped softly, and hugged Gabrielle just a little tighter to her,  feeling the tears run down her cheeks as she felt the body in her arms take on, finally, a precious little warmth.

She cradled her lover’s head, savoring that faint, warm breath against the skin of her neck, every breath a moment’s more postponement of the death of her soul.

It was as stark a moment as she’d ever known, understanding in that moment just how far she’d gone down the path of no return with Gabrielle and finding it very surprising that she didn’t regret a step.

Not even right now.  Xena closed her eyes and lived fully in that moment.  She rubbed Gabrielle’s arm with her hand, not sure if she was imagining feeling the faintest return of tension to the slack form slumped against her.

Was she imagining it?

A stronger breath against her skin, and she knew she wasn’t.  She felt her muscles turn to water, and it was hard to keep hold of Gabrielle, afraid to either let her go, or try to move away for fear she’d simply collapse.

“Xena.”  Jellaus’ voice was soft, and gentle on her ears. “Would you like to sit on the bed and hold her?”

Xena closed her eyes. “I don’t’ think I can stand up.” She admitted, her voice so hoarse she hardly recognized it.

“We’ll help you.”  Jellaus very carefully unhooked the sword from her back and set it to one side of the bed.  “Lakmas, come.”

Xena felt hands very cautiously take hold of her, and lift her up and she was lowered onto the bed with Gabrielle still clasped to her.   She kept her eyes shut and felt her lover shift against her, and she heard a low murmur as fingers tightened against hers and they saw it.

She forced her eyelids open to find Jellaus kneeling at the bedside, with the Persian next to him, with reddened eyes and tear stained cheeks.  Jellaus reached over and touched her arm, his lips tensing into a faint, but encouraging smile.

Xena glanced down, studying Gabrielle’s face.  The ugly misshapen lump above her ear was no less evident, but her chest was moving with a touch more regularity, and her lover’s fingers were clutched around her armor with definite intent.

What had happened? Xena knew what she’d felt, knew that she’d seen the life go out of her lover’s body.  She knew that wringing grief hadn’t been false.

Was this just the false part? To raise her hopes and ease her fears, only to end again in agony?

Did it matter?

Did she care?

Xena felt completely exhausted.  “Jellaus.”

“I’m here.” Jellaus eased closer. “What do you need, Xena?”

“Someone check the horses?”

“They’re fine, Xena.”  The minstrel reassured her. “It was the front of the barn that collapsed, where the hayrick is.  Just too much snow.”

“Random?” The queen murmured, with a half shake of her head. “Should have been me. She pulled me out of the way.”

Jellaus sighed.  “She has a true, brave heart.”

“She does.”  Xena let her eyes close again, the exhaustion overcoming her.   “I hope .. I pray to the gods it keeps beating.”

“Rest, Xena.” Jellaus clasped her arm. “We’ll keep watch.”

“No creature or evil thing will enter this place.” Lakmas spoke for the first time. “I swear it.”

Xena let a breath out, finally feeling the shaking inside her ease.  “Thanks.”  She let her cheek rest against Gabrielle’s hair, holding the pain at bay at least for now.

**


Part 8

Xena had no idea what time of the day it was. The curtains were pulled and she’d lost track of everything except the unconscious figure resting in her arms.

Had it been a candlemark? Two? Xena wasn’t sure. She kept her eyes fixed on the slight motion of Gabrielle’s chest, saying a soundless prayer between each one of them as she kept one hand touching her neck to feel the flutter of her heartbeat.

She had never felt a fear so intense as this one. It clenched her guts and kept her on the edge of tears and her stomach was so upset she couldn’t even drink the water in the mug left at her elbow.

The lump on Gabrielle’s head was hot and swollen and horrifically frustrating to Xena since there wasn’t’ anything she could do about it. The damage was on the inside, and she had no way of easing it, or using her healing skills to help her stricken lover.

All she could do was sit here, and wait, holding Gabrielle gently against her, giving her nothing but her body warmth and the focus of her thoughts.

It was very quiet in the room. Her men, Jellaus, and the Persian sat a silent vigil with her, the soldiers seated against the door with their legs crossed under them, their elbows resting on their knees.

Their understated devotion touched her. No one moved, save to occasionally lift their heads and look at the two of them on the bed, then return their gaze to the floor.

But every minute she sat there, every minute they watched in silence, every minute Gabrielle’s chest kept moving was a minute in the right direction.

Xena gently rubbed her hand over Gabrielle’s arm, shifting her carefully a little closer into her embrace and against her body. A motion caught her eye and she looked up, to find Jellaus nearing her side, a soft woven blanket in his hands.

She gave him a grateful look as he settled it over them. “Thanks.” She murmured.

“Xena.” The minstrel adjusted the edge of the blanket. “You do us all honor by admitting us here, to be with you. “

“Doesn’t feel like that.” Xena said.

“I know, my queen.” Jellaus responded in a gentle tone. “They have brought my harp outside, may I bring in and play some music for you both?”

Music. Xena nodded. “She loves music.” She had to stop talking, as her chest clenched, and an echo of Gabrielle’s mournful complaint of not being able to play any herself sounded in her ears and she wondered bleakly if she’d ever hear a repeat of it.

Jellaus touched her shoulder, then eased over to the door into the outer chamber and slipped through it.

“Hear that muskrat?” Xena whispered into the ear near her chin. “He’s going to serenade ya.” She slid back just a little, and curled her arms around Gabrielle more securely. “C’mon, You know you want to hear it.”

She took Gabrielle’s hand in hers and twined their fingers together as Jellaus came back in with his harp, and settled himself on a small stool near the bed, his fingers brushing the strings and bringing a comforting sound into the air.

The minstrel launched into a pretty melody, without any words but light and gentle, stirring the stillness of the air and drawing the eyes of the rest of the men.

It lightened Xena’s heart, a little, and she felt the muscles in the back of her neck loosen just slightly. She rubbed her thumb against Gabrielle’s and glanced at the pale face, whose cheek was resting against her chest.

After a moment of stillness, she felt just the faintest pressure against her fingers, almost so slight she thought she might have imagined it. Then she decided she didn’t. “C’mon, muskrat.” She whispered. “You can hear that, cantcha?”

Please hear it. She silently wished. Please don’t be like the others I’ve known who’ve gotten knocked on the head and never woke up again.

The faint, phantom pressure returned and she looked down at their clasped hands to see the twitching muscles across the back of Gabrielle’s wrist.

Then she saw her lover’s thumb move, just a tiny bit.

“Keep that up, sweetheart.” Xena bent her head lower and whispered, as the music got a little louder. “I know you’re in there.” She rocked her lover gently. “Hear that music? You like that, don’cha?”

There was no answer, but Xena’s sensitive fingertips could feel the flutter getting stronger under them, and a hint of color seemed to be back in Gabrielle’s cheeks. “I love you.” She murmured. “Believe it, muskrat. Wake up and talk to me.”

The door opened again, and Xena looked up to find Brendan entering. Her captain was visibly damp, his armor faintly askew and a new, fresh cut seeping along his neck. ‘What happened to you?” She asked.

Brendan sat down on a stool and looked at her, his face twitching a little. “Man asked me the wrong question.” He said, in a low mutter. “Won’t ask again.”

A fight then, a big one, and Brendan had washed the blood off before coming back into her presence. Xena exhaled and glanced at Jellaus. The minstrel scrunched his face a bit then continued to play, moving from one song to the next as he shifted on the stool.

Well, She’d hear about it eventually. Xena let her chin rest again against Gabrielle’s head, and let her eyes close, allowing the music to seep in again and relax her. What was happening outside didn’t matter, anyway.

Only what was happening here, in the circle of her arms mattered.

**

At least she was away from the voice, and the light. Gabrielle felt that she was sort of floating, in a hazy gray nothing with her eyes closed, and in a state of half paralysis. There was no real urge to move, it was far easier just to stay still.

It was strange, and she was a little afraid. She wasn’t sure really where she was, or what was happening to her, and as she continued to float there, she became aware that she was missing something.

Missing someone. She was alone, and she wasn’t used to that anymore and as she thought that, an image formed in her mind that was Xena’s face, surrounded by a disarray of dark hair.

Yes, that’s what she was missing. Her tempestuous lover, who filled her life with wonder and excitement She vaguely remembered something trying to pull her away from Xena, and she even more vaguely recalled arguing about that.

She missed Xena’s voice. She could almost hear it, at the edge of all the fuzzy mist, it’s low, sexy rumble winding and weeding it’s way through the clouds around her and tickling her ears.

Muskrat. Was that Xena calling her? It had to be, didn’t it? Xena didn’t call anyone else muskrat, now did she? Only Gabrielle.

She thought she could hear it again, soft yet distinct, the word full of the warm affection Xena always put into it.

Xena didn’t talk to anyone else like that. Only Gabrielle. Even people she liked didn’t get that look, or get to feel Xena’s touch on them, ruffling their hair, or resting the weight of her arm on them.

Only Gabrielle. She was sure she mattered to Xena, even though the other people laughed at her, and called her a peasant. Xena cherished and loved her.

Didn’t she?

Gabrielle felt afraid again. It felt terrible to think that someday Xena would get tired of her, and Xena had gotten mad at her when she thought Gabrielle had thought that. She wanted to believe what Xena had said but in her mind it was hard to push away that fear.

So hard.

Did Xena know where she was? Gabrielle thought she heard her name being called again, and in back of that, the faint tinkle of music.

Her fear lifted a little, as she listened to the sound, and heard her name again, in a loving and insistent voice. And then, deep and rich and sweet, she heard “I love you.” And in that gray nowhere mist, drifting in and out of reality she took those words as an anchor and wrapped herself around them in a new, and unexpected way.

It was true. Xena did love her. Gabrielle imagined she could feel her lover’s presence around her and with a lot of effort she tried to close her fingers around the hand she believed with all her heart was wrapped around hers.

Xena loved her. She’d proven it in a thousand ways, and Gabrielle now could see them, little moments of her life drifting in and out of her thoughts.

With all her brash and demanding ways. Gabrielle had gotten used to Xena’s quirky and sometimes mean sense of humor, her intolerance of anything going against her will, her often mercurial changes of mood.

She’d gotten used to them because she also got to experience the gentle tenderness her lover could display, the quiet consideration, and the honest and true care she took over Gabrielle’s person.

She remembered long winter nights, her practicing her stories with Xena wrapped around her like a living blanket, content to just listen as they both sat before the fire eyes half closed in somnolent pleasure.

She remembered bringing Xena fresh peaches and cool fruit ade in the heat of the summer as the queen sat in her chambers working through her nobles petitions and seeing the look of simple happiness on her face as she sat back in her chair and watched her approach.

That was real. Their games of hide and seek, high up in the castle towers at night were real. The riding side by side across the grass was. Xena’s laughter was. The fierceness of her hugs and the passion of her kisses were.

Gabrielle felt a sense of lightness gently push back the feeling of pressure on her chest. She let the happiness of those memories bring a smile to her face and joy to her heart. Another whisper seemed to reach her, echoing softly in all the grayness.

“I will never leave you, Gabrielle. So don’t you go leaving me.”

In all the swirling uncertainty, that was a constant. Gabrielle took it in, and let herself believe it was true even though she knew, at some deep level, that she was losing a part of herself in doing that. Her father had always warned her against trusting people.

Never trust them, he’d said. They all want something from you and don’t want to pay for it.

She felt the heaviness settle on her again as she remembered how hard that lesson had been when she’d learned it meant, especially, not trusting him. She remembered the night Lila had crawled back into their room, biting her lip through to keep from crying after he’d taken her the first time.

She remembered her fear when he’d come and stripped her naked, to shove her in front of strange men time and again, and the beatings after none of them had been interested, or wanted to pay his coin.

She remembered how much it had hurt, the first time he’d kicked her in the stomach, and how sick she’d been after that for such a long time.

“Gabrielle.”

Xena’s voice. She wanted to respond to it. She could hear how upset she sounded.

“C’mon muskrat. Stay with me.”

She could feel Xena’s pain. Truly. It was like a fist clenching on her own heart and she didn’t want that. She wanted Xena to be happy.

She fought against the mist, feeling a little angry that it was getting between her and Xena. She wanted to be past it, and feel the wonderful warmth of her queen’s embrace and see the affection in those beautiful eyes of hers.

Xena had told her, she remembered, that she was sorry her father had died in the raid because it meant Xena didn’t have the chance to kill him herself. Gabrielle remembered how safe she’d felt knowing Xena would never let anyone do anything to her like that again.

Xena would have enjoyed killing him, she knew. She would have gotten satisfaction in making him suffer, as he’d made Gabrielle suffer. It was how Xena was.

Intractable, mean, bold, ferocious, full of fury, craving vengeance.

And yet brave.

Loyal.

Loving. Gabrielle tried hard to close her hand again, sensing an odd warmth surrounding her. She could feel Xena’s presence all at once, like the queen was holding her close, the touch of skin against skin, smell her scent – sensations imprinted so deeply in her they brought their own level of solace and comfort.

No. She snuggled closer in her mind. I won’t leave you, Xena.

**

Finally, the terror faded. Xena exhaled slowly, as the breath against her skin once again came with regular motion and the heartbeat under her touch steadied and strengthened.

If she looked down, she would see Gabrielle’s fingers wrapped around her hand, the tension in them now visible as her grip had tightened.

She felt utterly exhausted. The strain of sitting on the balance between hope and despair was wearing on her like no battle ever had and she kept her eyes closed, blocking out the room around her and even the gentle music.

It would have been easier on her maybe to have been alone. Xena felt bare, stripped naked before the eyes of her men but she didn’t have the strength to deny them their presence and the silent, unspoken support.

And, on some level, maybe, there was something in her that didn’t want to be alone.

She cradled Gabrielle’s head against her chest, her fingers feeling the heat of the lump and the swollen, tense skin over it. She didn’t know what that was doing to the inside of Gabrielle’s head but she knew it wasn’t good.

And there was nothing she could do to… Xena paused in mid thought and let her eyes open. Jellaus was still at her side, gently strumming, his head leaning against the bedside table and his cheeks wet with renewed tears.

What was she remembering? There had been something that triggered her thoughts but what had it been? Another head wound she’d fixed? Xena’s eyes flicked back and forth in the room, trying to push back the emotions and think.

No, no other head wound. She’d seen enough people die under her hands with them. Xena slowly exhaled. Was it a battle? Some insight she’d gotten?

Some person she’d talked to? Some scroll she’d read?

And then it came to her. No, no battle, and no scroll, and no person. Just a damnfool moment of hers and a bad move and her hand cracking against the stone wall upstairs sending every star she’d ever seen into her suddenly red shot vision.

Gabrielle, and a basin of cold well water, and her gentle fingers easing the knot on the back of Xena’s hand in blessedly icy relief. “Brendan.”

“Xena.” Brendan was at her side, kneeling. “What can I do?”

“Get me a big bucket of snow from outside.”

Brendan looked at her for a long instant, then he got up and headed for the door, as always unquestioning of her every demand. “Hang in there muskrat.” She whispered. “Hang in there.”

**

It was hard to let Gabrielle go. To remove her arms from her lover so that she could shift around and scoop up a handful of the snow and press it gently against the lump on her head. To feel her heart sink as she saw not a flicker of reaction, only that faint, irregular motion of her chest.

Xena gently arranged her body on the bed and looked around. “Get me some cloth.”

Jellaus handed her forward some, and she folded it around more of the snow and pressed it over the same spot.

Was it dark outside? Xena had no idea. She smoothed the pale hair back off Gabrielle’s head, the melting snow dampening it along with the satin cover on the pillow. She heard a shudder against the window though, and glanced up. “Storm’s getting worse?”

“Aye.” Brendan said, in a quiet tone. “Told the men to bring the horses into the dance hall, Xena. Didn’t want em to come to harm.”

Xena nodded. “Thanks.” She moved the compress a little. “Tell those circus people to put on a show. Keep everyone distracted.”

“Aye.” Brendan got up and went to the door, speaking to another soldier in a low tone. The man left quickly and shut the door behind him.

Xena watched Gabrielle’s face intently. “Jellaus.”

“I’m here, Xena.” The minstrel put a hand on her shoulder.

“Go get Lastay.”

The fingers on her shoulder tightened, then relaxed. Jellaus circled the bed and went to the door, handing his instrument to one of the patiently waiting soldiers.

It was hard to fathom, really, just how desperately attached she’d become to Gabrielle. Xena gently wiped the water off her consort’s head and got more snow into the fabric, putting it back over the lump. It was hard to sort through all the crushing emotion going through her mind to think, and plan and make decisions.

She wanted to break down and cry, and scream.

She wanted to beg and carry on and behave like all the grieving people she’d ever despised all her life had, understanding finally at this stage in her life the pain she’d caused so many.

It was infuriating and heartbreaking. All those people whose loved ones she’d decapitated or gutted, sending them to Hades with no more thought than brushing a fly off that she’d never understood and now, kneeling at the side of her own bed she finally did.

Oh, she did. Now it was, perhaps, time for her to lose her loved one. Xena felt her chest contract, and her vision went blurry with tears. She kept her hands still and breathed silently, until she could blink her eyes open and focus again. Lyceus had once told her he figured if she ever gave her heart, it would be all the way and now she found herself cursing him for being right.

Cursing herself. Cursing everyone but Gabrielle because she held no blame in any of it. All Gabrielle had done was hand over her heart and soul and never looked back, loving Xena with an open innocence that made her hurt inside to think of it.

“I never deserved that.” Xena sighed. “I’m such a bastard. Where did I come off having her fall in love with me.”

“Xena.” Brendan had, apparently heard her. “Twas a case of two great hearts meetin.”

Xena let out a soft, pained snort .”One maybe.”

“Ah, no.” Brendan touched her arm. “Xena I’ve followed you boy and man all these years, all of us have, not for the dinars and you know it.”

No. She knew it. Even if she denied it to them, and brushed it off Xena knew the truth and pretending otherwise did Brendan and the rest no service. Did her no service, really, because it was the reason her troops were so loyal to her, the ones that were.

She loved them. She’d die for them. They knew it. She knew it. She tried to pretend it was all ruthlessness but Brendan was right. She had too damn big a heart and Gabrielle had gently enfolded it in her arms and given Xena an experience she never had thought she’d have in this life.

She never really expected to be happy. To love someone like she loved Gabrielle. To have someone love her back with an utter completeness that she knew in her heart was a great gift, one she didn’t think she was entitled to.

No, not entitled to, but she’d gotten it anyway and now, faced with losing it, she knew deserved or not she wasn’t willing to live without it. What excruciating cowardice. Xena looked down at Gabrielle’s face. Wasn’t she the one who told Gabrielle to go off and have kids and name one after her when she croaked?

Wasn’t she? Wasn’t she the one who hadn’t really understood when Gabrielle had sobbed over her, and told her she didn’t want to live without her? Thought Gabrielle was maybe a bit loopy? Xena put more snow over the lump. “Someone get me some more of this.” She nudged the bowl.

Gabrielle hadn’t been loopy. She had just understood in her guts what this was a lot faster than Xena had.

The door opened, and as Brendan went out with the bowl, Jellaus came back in with Lastay at his heels. “Xena, he’s here.” Jellaus reclaimed his instrument and settled back down on the stool, his fingers tuning it a bit automatically.

“Mistress.” Lastay said, softly. “I”m so sorry.’

Not even a hint of a jibe occurred to her. “Yeah, me too.” Xena said. “Listen, Lastay. If things go really bad here, you need to get yourself ready to take over this place.”

Xena understood what she was saying. She knew the soldiers did. Even the Persian, kneeling at her left hand, his big fingers squeezing out the linen for her knew. His big, liquid dark eyes held a surprising compassion as he handed it back to her.

Would Lastay understand?

“Xena.” Lastay said. “I’ll do whatever you want me to do, whenever you want me to do it” He spoke without his usual affectation. “I”m yours.”

Lastay understood. Xena felt a little humble, hearing the sincerity in his voice. She’d been so crude to him, always.

He knelt at her side, resting his big hands on the bed’s coverlet. “May I pursue this creature, in the meantime?” He asked. “I would truly like to put my hold on him.”

“See what you can find out.” The queen said, after a brief silence. “Be careful.”

‘I will.” Lastay said. “Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you, Xena. My wife as well.”

Xena nodded. “Thanks.” She turned her head briefly and looked him in the eye. “Bring your wife in here if you want. It’s probably the safest place in the palace. No sense both of us going through this.”

The duke’s eyes filled, but he merely nodded in response. He got up and went to the door, which one of the soldiers opened for him respectfully. He passed through and then silence settled back down, save for Jellaus’ soft thrumming.

“He’s all right.” Xena said, as she gently brushed the wet linen over Gabrielle’s pale face, her hands shaking a little.

“You have created him a better man than he was, Xena.” Jellaus said, simply. “As you have so many others. You draw us all to greatness of heart and spirit.”

Xena turned around and looked at him, but he merely gazed back at her, his fingers moving over the strings. After a moment, the queen turned back to her charge.

Brendan came back in with his bowl, the soldier’s shoulders covered in snow and a dusting of it in his hair. He set the bowl down at Xena’s elbow and withdrew near to the fire, brushing himself off over the stone.

Xena reapplied fresh snow to the lump, studying Gabrielle intently Was her breathing a little easier? She put her free hand against her lover’s cheek and brushed her lips with the edge of her thumb, feeling what surely was a phantom pressure against her palm in return.

She left her thumb against Gabrielle’s lips, and felt the soft warmth of her breath against the skin there, as sweet a sensation as she’d ever known. Encouraged a little, she shifted the snow pack, convincing herself that the lump looked a tiny bit smaller.

“C”mon, muskrat.” Xena crooned softly. “Don’t give up on me, huh? I know you’d be damn mad to see me getting the bed all wet here. Open your eyes so you can see me dumping snow on your head. I want to hear you squeal.”

“Xena.” Jellaus left off his strumming, and offered her a mug. “Some tea?”

“Later.” Xena watched her lover’s face intently. “C’mon, Gabrielle. Come back to me.”

Was that a flicker under that eyelid? She reached over and touched a fingertip to it, feeling the unmistakable motion of reaction to the faint pressure. It brought a spark of hope and Xena only barely resisted the urge to shake the still figure in the bed.

C’mon.

**

Gabrielle became aware, in a hazy way, that there was someone else present in her gray mist. It wasn’t Xena, she could still feel her lover around her, this new presence was different. “Hello?” She called out. “Is someone there”

At first, there was no answer. Then she heard a gentle sigh somewhere nearby. “Hi there.”

The voice was so strange. It sounded very much like her own did, when she heard it in her head. “Who are you?”

“Hm.” The voice said, as it came closer and gave the impression of settling down next to her. “Let’s leave that open for a while.”

The voice didn’t sound threatening. In fact, Gabrielle felt her anxiety fading a little with it’s presence. “Do you know where this is?”

“Yes.” The voice answered readily. “But you don’t, do you?”

“No.” Gabrielle paused. “I’m kinda scared.”

The voice gave the impression of smiling, at least, the sound of it changed the way Xena’s did when she smiled. “I bet you are and I don’t blame you. The first time I went through this, I was pretty scared too.”

Gabrielle felt more afraid hearing that. “Am I dead?” She guessed, deciding to cut to the chase and find out the worst.

“Not exactly.” The voice said. “You got hurt, and your body wants to die, but there’s something keeping you tied to it.”

Oh. Gabrielle was a little overwhelmed by the statement, even though it was, actually better than she’d started to fear it was. “What something?” She asked.

“Love.” The voice answered, with gentle matter of factness. “You don’t want to leave her, and she can’t live without you.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle felt a surge of emotion, a powerful jolt in her guts. “You sound like you know what that’s like.”

The voice smiled again. “I do.” It agreed. “And your beloved one is doing her best to fix your body, so.. I guess what I wanted to tell you is to hang in there, and keep sticking around.”

“I don’t want to die.” Gabrielle said. “I don’t want to leave her.”

“I know.” The voice seemed to move closer. “She needs you. I know you maybe don’t always think so, but she does. “

Gabrielle listened to the words. “Who are you?”

The voice remained silent for a moment. “I’m someone who’s a lot like you.” It finally answered. “My life was different than yours, but we share a lot, including knowing what love like this is.” It continued. “There’s someone who went beyond, who’s trying to hurt you. Let’s just say, I’m here to even the balance.”

That was a huge amount of information to take in. Gabrielle felt confused, and unsure. “Someone’s trying to hurt me?”

“Your soulmate.” The voice answered. “But they’re doing it through you. It’s an old trick.” Now the tone was a little wry.

“They’re trying to hurt Xena?” Gabrielle clarified. “By hurting me?”

“Yes.”

“That’s really wrong.”

The voice definitely smiled now. “It is. And the fact that it is, is what’s letting me be here to kind of try and talk you through it. If they were playing by the rules, I wouldn’t be.”

Gabrielle thought about that. “Are you a ghost?”

The voice chuckled wryly. “No.”

That was even more confusing. Gabrielle refocused on something else. “How can I get out of here? I want to go back. I want to be with her.”

The voice settled a little closer. “You have to want to bad enough.” It said. “You have to feel that love, and hold onto it with all your might. Think about being in your body, and .. you sort of have to force yourself back.”

“Oh.”

“It hurts.” The voice said. “But when you open your eyes, it’ll be worth it. I promise you.”

Gabrielle tried to peer through the mist, squinting and imagining she could make out a vague form next to her, a seated form with arms wrapped around it’s knees. She got the impression of shaggy hair and bare skin and then the mist seemed to clear just a tiny bit, enough for her to make out eyes the same color as her own watching her.

“Don’t let them win.” The voice said, deepening and taking on a faintly echoing strength. “Fight them. I know you can. I know you have the strength. There is nothing on earth stronger than the love you know. Trust me on that.”

Gabrielle studied those eyes, feeling suddenly a sense of kinship so strong, it made her shiver. There was such absolute knowledge there, she knew what this voice, this person was saying was the truth. That this person knew as much and more about her than she knew about herself and also - that this person had been in the same place she was now and come through it.

So she figured, if they could, then she could, and if the voice was right about that, then the voice was also right about Xena needing her. “I will.” She said. “I promise.”

She had the impression of a strong hand enfolding hers, and squeezing it. “Be good. Be true. She is.” The figure suddenly loomed over her and she felt a gentle kiss on her forehead, and then...

And then the voice, and the vague figure was gone.

Gabrielle felt a mixture of awe and disappointment, but she tried to keep all the advice the voice had given her in her mind as she felt the mist swirl around her, and then she concentrated, sure she could hear sounds through it that weren’t there before.

Tinkling. The sound of water.

The sound of a heartbeat.

She could hear a growing sound, almost subliminal, a deep roaring that seemed to tug at her from all directions, and the next thing she knew she was caught in a maelstrom of sensation, and sounds were getting louder, and she had the feeling of something trying to pull her away again.

The words of her visitor rang in her mind though and she yelled out Xena’s name, reaching out blindly in the grayness as she felt a white hot spear gut her, and heard an angry yowl very close by.

She understood the stakes now. She sensed a darkness rushing at her, blowing past the gray mist and enveloping her with icy suddenness, as chaos surrounded her and something very tactile grabbed her by the back of her shoulders and tried to yank her backwards.

But she could feel something just a strong pulling her forward, a calling that filled her ears as she felt hands grasping hers and Xena’s voice calling her.

Calling her.

Calling her home. And though the way back to that was into darkness, she plunged forward into it and pulled herself free from the grip behind her and she tumbled forwards into a growing pit of pain and anguish, so intense it was hard for her to breathe and it got worse the closer she came to Xena’s voice.

Incredible pain. She felt the gray mist calling her back, pulling her away from the agony and back to self preservation.

“Gabrielle!” Xena’s voice cut through the confusion, and the note of pleading in it caught Gabrielle’s attention with shocking completeness and she remembered what her visitor had told her.

That Xena needed her.

A whisper. “Please don’t leave me.”

And now, this close to the darkness, the voice was real, the pain was real, and she could hear the thunder of Xena’s heart and there was no question of responding. She yanked herself forward into the storm ahead of her, and dove into it, reaching for that need, and that pain and for the truth she finally knew as she left behind the mist and fell forward into a blinding burst of real pain and ice cold and a roll over overwhelming thunder.

**

“Gabrielle!” Xena yelled for what seemed like the nth time, as the spasming body in her grip went still. “Please don’t leave me.” She whispered, seeing that chest stop, and the flutter at her neck stop and her world stop in all the same moment.

And then, with a rough hiccup, Gabrielle twitched and her chest heaved again, and a flush of pink flooded her face and her eyes popped open, two dazed, bloodshot green orbs tracking at once to the face of the woman holding her.

Xena had no time to dissemble. “Oh.” She let out a soft, awed sound. “you listened.” She shifted her grip from Gabrielle’s arms to enfold her, pulling her close and burying her face in her consorts damp hair. “Ohh.”

Gabrielle drew in another strained breath, unable to reconcile the pain and cold discomfort with the deep and wonderful rush of happiness that washed through her, feeling the shaking in Xena’s arms and hearing the soft, almost helpless gasping cries coming from her.

She had never imagined being able to affect someone like this. “S... okay.” She managed to rasp out, lifting a hand with incredible effort and putting it on her lover’s hip. Xena’s breathing was jerky and uneven, and finally she exhaled, and pulled back a little so they could look at each other.

Oh. Gabrielle let the emotion flood through her, as she saw the raw relief and the tear swollen eyes watching her. The voice had been right. This was more than she’d ever expected. She had no words to offer, she just managed to get hold of Xena’s hand and savored the warmth of it.

Xena had no words either. She let her head rest against Gabrielles again, her breaths finally slowing and becoming more regular as she felt the motion in her consort’s body, and that soft, gentle touch on her skin. She let out a low, shuddering groan, all the energy seeping out of her.

Honesty in every bit of it. Gabrielle now felt a touch foolish, remembering all her nights wondering if Xena really cared for her. Now she didn’t have to wonder anymore. Now she knew. “Xena.” She whispered.

She felt Xena smile. “Ow.”

“Yeah.” The low, strained voice rumbled near her ear. “Bet your head hurts.”

“Yeah.” Everything really hurt. Gabrielle could feel her whole body aching, aside from the throbbing pounding in her head. “Ow.” She mournfully repeated, realizing the voice had been right about that, too. She was cold, and she could feel dampness all around her. “Wet.”

“Yeah.” Xena said. “I’d pick you up and move you over to the dry side of the bed but by the gods I can’t.” She uttered. “Sorry.”

Gabrielle managed to get her hand higher, it’s shaking fingers touching the side of Xena’s face. “S’okay.” Warm replaced cold as Xena gently enveloped her with both arms, pulling her close against her body. She could feel the queen’s hands slowly rubbing her back as she let out a long, slow exhale. “Love you.”

Xena simply nodded in response.

It felt a lot better to be sitting half up, and in Xena’s arms. Gabrielle felt her head throbbing less, and even though the queen was still in her house armor it was more comfortable than wet sheets. She could feel Xena’s cheek resting against her head and she managed to stroke the soft surface with the edge of her thumb.

Xena made a low noise, deep in her throat.

Gabrielle felt herself smiling, so very glad she’d left that gray peace for this painful chaos. Any amount of discomfort was worth this moment, and she used what little strength she had to press her hand against Xena’s face and move them closer together.

She was aware of voices around them suddenly, low male voices that seemed familiar, and the soft sounds of music that somehow seemed triumphant. She felt Xena’s body shift, and the brief, exhausted motion that might possibly have been a laugh shake through her.

Then there were other hands on her, and she felt people around them and she was lifted up and cradled in Xena’s arms but also in others, and after a brief bit of motion, she was being let down into the bed again, this time into dry, warm sheets.

Xena was with her, and she let her head rest against the queen’s shoulder, aware of being weak, thirsty, and in pain, but also of very much being alive. She licked her lips, and as though Xena had read her mind, she felt the edge of a cup being gently eased against them, and the smell of mint rising to her nose. She sucked at the pleasantly warm stuff, hearing encouraging noises slightly over her head.

Xena was gently massaging her neck, and as she finished the tea, she felt the pain ease a trifle. She opened her eyes, and blinked, looking around the room and feeling surprised at how many people were there in it. She spotted Jellaus, resuming his seat on the other side of the bed and picking up his harp and Brendan was there, but she also saw more soldiers, and even one of the Persians up against the wall.

All of them looked relieved. All of them were watching Xena, with gentle, glad eyes.

Gabrielle shifted her head a little and looked up at her lover’s profile, finding the queen gazing back at her, the faintest of smiles on her face, and an expression of exhausted relief. She had a sense that something pretty momentous had gone on but she was too tired herself to really think much about it.

Where in the gray mist, she’d had plenty of time and energy to think, here, all she wanted to do was lay there in Xena’s embrace, and look at her. It felt so good to have the mist gone, and the reality of the world around her, and nothing separating her from those eyes, or the feel of Xena’s touch on her skin.

She could smell the leather of Xena’s armor, and the wood burning in the fire. She could hear Xena’s heartbeat. It was all so beautiful she felt like crying.

Then something occurred to her. “Xena?” She rasped softly. “The horses..okay?”

Xena paused, then looked up at Brendan, one eyebrow lifting slightly.

“They’re fine, little one.” Brendan said. “We went up and moved em into the hall. None the worse for it.”

Gabrielle managed a nod.

“You remember that?” Xena asked.

Gabrielle nodded again.

The queen’s face eased into a incrementally wider smile. “Nothing after that, I bet.”

Gabrielle thought about that. Then she hesitantly shook her head, reserving her experience in the mist to tell Xena about later. She had a feeling she need to talk to her about that in private, when it was just the two of them and anyway, she was far too tired and fuzzy to say much of anything in any case.

It was much nicer to just savor the moment in silence.

A motion caught her eye, and she peered through the firelight, more than a little surprised to see Duke Lastay’s wife in the corner, sitting quietly, her hands clasped together.

Why were all these people in the room? She looked back up at Xena. who had her head resting against the pillows stacked behind her back. Were they here to... Gabrielle remembered the strangeness of the gray place, and what the voice had told her. Were they here to watch her die?

She watched them watch Xena.

No. Gabrielle felt a flood of compassion overcome her. She curled her fingers around the slack hand resting on her thigh, seeing Xena’s lips move back into a smile as she returned the pressure, her face gentle and open, no sign of her brash air of bravada so common to her in front of others apparent.

Just a very tired, and very human look. Gabrielle gathered her strength and slowly pulled their joined hands up, pressing her lips against Xena’s knuckle, then moving them to a spot just over her heart as her lover’s smile increased, lighting up her eyes.

It was such a strange feeling. Gabrielle felt like she was looking at Xena for the very first time, seeing her through a new understanding of what they were to each other. She smiled back, and exhaled in contentment, feeling in her the oddest sensation of, in a sense, coming home.

**

Xena really at this point didn’t know what to do with herself, She was sprawled in the bed, now finally in a nice dry spot, with Gabrielle cradled in her arms miraculously restored to her. Part of her wanted to hop around the room yelping with excitement, but the other half of her was completely content to stay motionless, savoring the motion of Gabrielle’s thumb against the palm of her hand.

She could see her lover’s pale lashes moving slightly as she blinked, and she cherished every flicker and the feel of the steady, regular breathing pushing against her own ribs.

She wasn’t entirely comfortable. She suspected since Gabrielle was lying on top of her armor that her beloved wasn’t entirely comfortable either, but right at the moment it was good to just sit still and spend some time just being grateful.

She was. She was grateful that last, desperate convulsion turned out to be Gabrielle returning to a shocked consciousness instead of checking out on her. She was grateful for the support of her men and subjects. She was grateful the lump on the side of Gabrielle’s head had gone down, not entirely away, but enough to allow her lover to remain awake.

She was grateful she wasn’t alone.

It was so completely humbling for her to feel this grateful, and not resent it. She had bared herself raw in front of all these people and for some reason she wasn’t even embarrassed, even now when everyone was just sitting there and watching her because part of that baring also let her see past the obligations these people had to her to the humans behind the roles they played in her life.

It was a shared rawness. Those tears in Jellaus’ eyes weren’t fake, and the gentle caring on Brendan’s face showed a truth she had no choice but accept. That was okay with her. Xena found herself too emotionally exhausted to even feel uncomfortable with this new level of intimacy.

It could be she might change her mind later, but for now, it was good. So she let her gaze travel the room, meeting the eyes watching her and absorbing the emotions she found there. “Thanks.” She said, after a long pause. “Thanks all of you for being here.”

She felt Gabrielle squeeze her hand.

“Needs no thanks, Xena.” Brendan was the one who spoke up, fitting, as he was the one who had known her the longest.

No, that was true also. Xena exhaled, getting a sense that her world, which had been halted in stasis, with no impression at all of time passing until Gabrielle’s eyes had opened, with a shudder was slowly starting forward again.

Gabrielle’s fingers touched her sleeve, her fingers bringing a very welcome warmth and she looked down at her again, ducking her head and kissing her gently on the lips, feeling an ethereal surge of joy as they traded breath and a joint, very faint laugh.

Regardless of anything else, life, at this moment, was impossibly good. The ache of impending grief lifted off her at least for the moment, and she was able to rest, the frantic churn in her mind easing to nothing as the Fates eased away, leaving her briefly at peace.

**

Xena wasn’t really sure how long they sat like that, as the fire popped erratically in the hearth and the wind howled outside impotently. She might have drifted off for a little while, but she wasn’t sure about that either, as she focused on the steady heartbeat under her fingertips and the now regular breathing warming her chest.

Gabrielle wasn’t asleep, but she seemed very content just to remain cuddled up next to her, occasionally looking around at the ring of quiet faces.

At last, Xena felt secure enough to carefully slide out from under Gabrielle’s body and get her arranged on the bed, tucking the covers around her as she knelt on still shaky knees by her side. “I’m gonna get this off.” She indicated the armor. “Before it rusts.”

Gabrielle nodded at her. “Don’t want you to catch cold.” She murmured, catching Xena’s fingers and rubbing them. “Not really in any shape to wipe your sniffles.”

With a tired smile, Xena pushed herself to her feet and stood there a moment, gathering energy. Then she slowly circled the bed, moving through the watchers to where her wardrobe was and coming to stand in front of it, hoping she had the strength to take her armor off.

In a moment, Brendan was at her side. “Want me to get the catches, Xena?”

“Sure.” Xena surrendered gracefully. She started unlacing her bracers as Brendan unclasped her armor, a draft from the far corner of the room hitting her between the shoulder blades as her captain lifted the hardened plates off her and pulled them clear.

She glanced back towards the bed, where Lady Lastay was kneeling beside Gabrielle, talking in low tones to her, She could see the smile on her consorts face and almost lost track of what she was doing as another flood of relief came over her.

Gabrielle was back. At least for the moment, she wasn’t going to lose her and from the slowly growing alertness in her lover’s eyes, it seemed the worst was over.

“Fighter she is.” Brendan commented softly, as he folded the armor and carefully placed it down on Xena’s arming chest. “Gods be blessed.”

“Sure is.” Xena pulled her unlaced bracers off and tossed them on the chest, then braced her boot on the edge and started untying her knee guards as Brendan knelt and unlaced the other one. “Damn I’m tired.” She felt the gentle pat on her calf and exhaled.

Turning, she sat down on the press and set both pairs of knee guards down, resting her elbows on her thighs. After a moment she straightened up and unbuckled the sword harness and lifted it up over her head, setting it down next to her.

Now she was in her breeches and shirt, and long boots. Part of it all was damp, and she felt chilled from all the snow she’d absorbed in her haste to apply it to her lover’s head. She glanced at the nearby fire, and held her hand out to it, appreciating the warmth as it penetrated her skin.

“Warm some wine up, how about it?” Brendan asked. “Chillin to the bone outside.”

“Sounds good.” Xena unlatched her boots and kicked them off, then she got up and went to the wardrobe, swinging the door open and peering inside. “Ah.” She spotted a simple, softly woven blue robe and shucked her shirt off, reaching for the robe just as a loud crack echoed through the room.

In an instant, a heavy, powerful surge of adrenaline shoved all her exhaustion aside and she yanked a practice sword out of it’s sheath in the wardrobe and came around the corner, dressed only in her breeches with the sword sweeping out ahead of her as she looked for a target.

Two of the soldiers turned from the window, where they were examining shattered leaded glass that had tumbled out from under the drapes. They froze on spotting their half naked queen, and after a second, everyone else turned to see what they were staring at.

For a moment, there was absolute silence. Then Xena realized where the sound had come from, and she lowered her sword, her eyes finding Gabrielle’s across the room.

Tired and pale as she was, Gabrielle’s face creased into a grin. “I think I feel better all of sudden.” She remarked, in a low, serious tone. “Thanks, Xena.”

The words forced a laugh from Xena’s lips, and she lifted both hands and let them drop. “Sorry.” She muttered. “Been a long day.”

One of the soldiers held up a piece of glass. “One of the panes broke, mistress.” He said, conspicuously keeping his eyes everywhere but her.

Xena merely shook her head and went back to the wardrobe, studiously ignoring the red faces behind her. She put the sword back in it’s sheath and pulled the robe down, shrugging into it and tying the belt off around her waist. She gave there rest of them a chance to get their composure back and then stepped back into view, just as Brendan approached her with a mug issuing steam.

Her captain didn’t bother hiding his smile. “I’ll send someone outside to check that window.” He remarked, as she took the mug. “Make sure it was just t’weather.”

“Thanks.” Xena smiled in acknowledgement “Get some grub sent up here for all of you.” She said. “Maybe some soup or something.” She glanced down at Gabrielle. “No point in anyone else keeling over.”

Two of the soldiers got up, touching their chests before the went to the door and slipped out. Xena went over to the bed and sat down at the foot of it, reaching over lay her free hand over Gabrielle’s knees. She saw the pale eyes watching her, and the impish grin that hadn’t quite faded turned back up. “Glad you appreciate my healing skills.”

“I sure do.” Gabrielle responded. “That was great.”

“Was it?” Xena eased over a little more, until their bodies were touching. “I didn’t look like an idiot?”


“No.” Her lover gazed at her. “You’re beautiful.”


The sounds of the room around them slowly faded. Xena sensed the people wandering out from the bedroom into the outer chamber and after a moment, they were alone in the room.


She looked around. “Subtle.”


Gabrielle reached out and took her hand, easing over onto her side and tucking her knees up against Xena’s back. “That was really scary.”


Xena looked quietly at her for a moment. “Yes it was.” She said. “I”ve never been so afraid in my entire life.” She continued in a raw, honest tone. “I really didn’t want to lose you.” She turned her eyes to the linen, unable to meet that loving look. “I guess I understand now, what you were telling me in that tunnel.”


Gabrielle drew in a little breath. “Oh.” She murmured. “I remember that. I felt like my life was ending.”


Xena merely nodded.


“I just wanted to scream.”


The dark head nodded again.


“I’m sorry, Xena.” Gabrielle said, gently. “I didn’t want to put you through that.”


Xena’s eyes swept up and met hers, bloodshot and exhausted, and yet, at peace. “I needed you to.” She replied. “I didn’t get it. Now I get it.” She squirmed closer and put her arms around Gabrielle. “But sweetheart, don’t ever do that again. It’ll kill me.”


Gabrielle returned the hug as best she could. “I love you.” She said. “I never want to leave you.”


The noise returned behind them, and Xena could hear the clink of dishes and pitchers. “I’m glad to hear that, because I never want to leave you either.” She whispered. “Ever.”


And now, Gabrielle believed that with all her heart. She smiled as she felt Xena straighten, running gentle fingers over the lump on the side of her head as some of the soldiers and others eased back into the room, bringing the scent of hot wine and soup with them.


Everything still hurt, but she was almost in a place where she didn’t care.


“Can’t give you anything for the pain, my love.” Xena said, smoothing the hair down over the lump. “Not until that goes down.” She looked around. “But I bet Jellaus’ll be glad to play you something to keep your mind off it.”


“My deepest honor.” Jellaus bowed.


The soldiers came in with a small table that they set up next to the bed. A bowl of soup appeared on it, and some bread and cheese. Xena was surprised to find that the scent actually interested her now


“What happened, your majesty?” Lastay’s wife spoke up. “All we heard was a collapse somewhere.”


“Ah.” Xena pondered the question. “The hatch door into the stables collapsed under all the damn snow.” She said. “Gabrielle shoved me out of the way and got clobbered.”


“That was very brave.” The duchess said.


“Yes, it was.” Xena agreed. “Crazy, but brave.”


Gabrielle smiled warmly “It wasn’t crazy.” She objected. “I didn’t want to see you get hurt.”


“See?” Xena gently stroked the mussed hair back off Gabrielle’s forehead. “I told everyone you were my bodyguard. No one believed me.”


“I don’t remember any of that.” Gabrielle confessed. “Last thing was... “ She pondered, then shook her head. “Just the hall, I guess.” She glanced to her right. “Is that tea there?”


“How about some soup?”


Gabrielle exhaled, grimacing a little. “Not sure I can chew.”


Xena picked up the bowl and examined it. Then she set it down, and swiveled around, getting behind Gabrielle and settling her against her chest. “I’ll eat the chunks, you drink the broth. How’s that?”


Gabrielle leaned her head against Xena’s chest, and managed a smile. “Sounds great.”


Xena applied the spoon to the soup, and the rest of the people in the room joined in, as Jellaus alternated biting off chunks of bread as his other hand strummed his harp.


At least for now, things were good.


**

It was night. Gabrielle was laying in bed, wrapped now in a warm and very cozy robe replacing her armor, and her head cradled between two very soft pillows. She’d managed a cupful or so of soup broth and aside from all the aches and pains she felt like she was doing a lot better.

There was no longer a sense of fuzziness about her vision, for one thing. Her eyes hurt, and she thought they might be bloodshot but when she looked around it wasn’t as if there was a layer of smoke in the room anymore.

Hearing was like that too. The echoes were gone, and the sound in the room was no longer going in and out on her. Gabrielle felt like she was no longer hesitating on the edge and if she closed her eyes she was pretty sure she’d open them again.

After all, she had to. She owed Xena that.

Her lover was standing near the door, arms folded, talking with one of the soldiers. She’d tied her hair back and washed her face and she no longer looked like she was going to fall over. That had really sort of scared Gabrielle, she’d felt how Xena was shaking when she’d first woken up and the unexpected fragility of her so very strong lover had been unnerving.

Now, she was sort of wishing all the really nice people who had been there to support Xena would maybe go out into the outer room, and give them a little peace and quiet together. She wanted to talk to Xena, and tell her about the mist, and the voices.

She had a feeling maybe there was something important in all that, and she figured Xena would know what that was.

But until then, she knew she would just have to patiently wait. Some of the soldiers had gone out into the outer room, leaving Lady Lastay, Jellaus and Brendan behind along with the Persian patiently and artistically tending the fire.

He looked up and met her eyes, his lips curving into a smile.

Ah, her massage teacher. Gabrielle smiled back at him.

He took that as an invitation and stood, making his way over to the bed with a cautious look in Xena’s direction before he settled down on his knees at her side. “Gracious princess.”

Gabrielle wrinkled her nose. “I don’t feel really gracious today.” She admitted. “It’s been kind of crummy.”

“Your gods surely looked after you this day, though.” Lakmas answered. “I am truly glad to see you so much the better.”

“That’s true.” She agreed. “Thanks for helping.”

The Persian produced a tiny smile. “I did nothing.”

“You were here for her.” Gabrielle responded, in a quiet tone. “That’s something.”

Lakmas studied his hands, then he looked at up at her. “My people are warriors, you know that. But we are also poets after our own fashion and there is no poetry like that which celebrates the heart.”

Gabrielle was aware of Xena’s attention in her peripheral vision. The queen was still standing near the door, still with her arms crossed over her chest, but she’d angled herself just a little so she could keep an eye on Lakmas and the bed. “Our poetry is like that too.” She confided. “I can’t really write any good poems, but I love reading them.”

“I find that impossible to believe.” Lakmas said. “You, who knows more of the heart then a thousand generations of my people?”

Gabrielle felt herself blush a little, and after a moment, Xena made her way over to the bedside from where she’d been standing.

“What’s going on here?” The queen asked, sitting down on a low settee that had been put by the bed. She reached over to gently touch Gabrielle’s head. “How are you feeling, my love?”

“Sorta crummy.” Gabrielle admitted, savoring the touch against her skin. “My shoulder hurts.”

“Hm.” Xena slid her hand around the back of her lover’s neck, and probed gently. “Did you tell Lakmas here how much I liked your new skills?” She saw Gabrielle flinch as her fingertips caught broken skin. “Ah.”

Gabrielle watched Lakmas grin with embarrassment. “No, we hadn’t got to that yet.” She said. “Oof.” She felt Xena lifting her up a little and she leaned forward, closing her eyes as a wave of vertigo hit her. “Oh boy.”

“Hang in there.” Xena murmured. “You got cut back here... damn it I didn’t see it.”

“Do you wish your healing bag, Majesty?” Lakmas asked.

“Yeah.” Xena leaned over and slid her hands under the covers. “Gonna put you over on your side so I can get to this.” She gently lifted Gabrielle onto her side, and tucked the pillow under her head. “How’s that?”

Lying down definitely felt better. “Okay.” Gabrielle said. “But to be honest you touching me is making me forget about my back.”

Lakmas sneezed, stifling the sound as Xena got up off her knees and leaned over her consort so she could make eye contact with her. “Oh really?”

“Really.”

Xena chuckled and settled back down to examine the long, ugly cut that went across Gabrielle’s shoulder blade. It had mostly closed, but she cleaned it carefully and covered it with a bandage anyway, then examined her lover’s attractive back for any other injuries she might have missed.

Then she eased her over and checked the rest of her, stifling a smile at the knowing eyes watching her as her hands slid over Gabrielle’s hips and up along her sides.

Aside from a few scratches on her thigh and a bruise along one hip, though, Gabrielle seemed relatively uninjured. She tickled her bellybutton with a light motion and tucked the robe back around her and the covers over her.

Their eyes met, and Xena smiled at the impish expression, feeling a moment of feather light joy that really surprised her. The room seemed to focus down to just the two of them and she studied Gabrielle’s face intently, as though for the first time.

Scuffed and bruised as it was, the beauty in it transfixed her.

“Xena?” Gabrielle poked her gently after a moment. “Are you okay?”

Xena reached over and cupped her cheek. “Yeah, I’m fine.” She said, in a quiet tone. “Want some more soup?”

Gabrielle reached up and covered Xena’s hand with her own. “Why don’t you have some more? You look kinda pale.”

Xena didn’t feel pale so much as rung out like a decade old dish rag. Threadbared and tired, hanging out on a line somewhere waving in the breeze. “I’m all right.” She said. ‘Just need a nap maybe.”

“Here in bed with me?” Gabrielle’s eyes brightened immediately, making the queen smile.

“What happened, your majesty?” Lastay’s wife spoke up. “All we heard was a collapse somewhere.”

“Ah.” Xena pondered the question. “The hatch door into the stables collapsed under all the damn snow.” She said. “Gabrielle shoved me out of the way and got clobbered.” She regarded her patient with fond affection.

“That was very brave.” The duchess said.

“Yes, it was.” Xena agreed. “Crazy, but brave.”

Gabrielle smiled warmly. “I’m not crazy.” She objected. “I didn’t want to see you get hurt.”

“See?” Xena gently stroked the mussed hair back off Gabrielle’s forehead. “I told everyone you were my bodyguard. No one believed me.”

A soft knock came at the door, then it opened and Duke Lastay entered. His eyes brightened when he saw the shifted tableau, and Gabrielle’s open eyes. “Good news in here at least!” He said. “Outside, the storm continues. I fear.”

“Strange weather.” Jellaus commented. “Too early for snow.”

Lakmas grunted. “Tis not something we know of.” He spoke up after a brief silence. “We were afraid of it, to be truthful. It seemed terrible to us, and so unrelenting.”

“There’s no snow where you are from?” Lastay asked.

“No.” The Persian shook his head. “We are a desert land, far more used to heat and dry winds than this.”

A rumble overhead made them all look up. Xena pulled the woven cover they’d draped over her a little more snugly around Gabrielle and nodded a little as one of the soldiers went over and stirred the fire up. “Sea of sand, eh?”

The Persian nodded. “It’s magnificent.” He said. “The colors, and the shades of the hills, and the feel of the hot sun on your back.” He was seated on the floor now, his legs crossed under him. “I remember when I was a boy, the first time my father took me out with him from our tribal home and I saw the immensity of the desert. I thought he was showing me the home of the gods.”

“Sounds beautiful.” Gabrielle murmured.

The man put his fingertips together and bowed his head in her direction. “It truly is.”

Lastay came over and went to his knees next to the bed, steading his balance with both hands on the edge of the mattress. “Xena, the shaft you discovered has been searched. They found many things, weapons and bags of supplies, inside.”

“Ah.” Xena only just caught herself from asking what shaft he was talking about. That whole situation had faded back out of her awareness, vastly overshadowed by her concern for her.. She studied Gabrielle’s face for a moment. Friend? Lover? Consort? “For how many people?”

“A half dozen, they think.” Lastay frowned. “Tis more than I expected, truly.”

“Me too.” The queen agreed. “Busts my ass thinking that many assassins are crawling around my castle, y’know? We need to catch em.” She made no shift to move though, content to sit quietly at Gabrielle’s side, her hand captured within her lovers.

She glanced at Lakmas. “Go with him and look at the stuff he found. See if it’s familiar.”

Lakmas folded his hands and pressed them against his forehead, giving Xena a bow before he got to his feet, waiting for Lastay to rise as well.

“Brendan, you go too.” Xena said. “Leave two men outside the front door, and two down at the kitchen entrance to this section.”

“Mistress.” Brendan ducked his head, acknowledging the change in Xena’s attitude. “Do me a favor, though?” He spoke up unexpectedly. “Allow t’men to do all the cooking for you both. I want no chances.”

Xena’s face shifted briefly into a wry grimace. “All right.” She conceded. “But I sure hope Gabrielle gets better soon or we’re both gonna starve.”

“Mistress!”

Gabrielle squirmed a little closer, until her head was against Xena’s hip. “I’m sure it’ll be fine.” She told Brendan, as Xena’s arm settled gently over her shoulders. “She just got used to my cooking.”

“That I did.” Xena agreed. “So start healing.”

Gabrielle rested her hand on Xena’s thigh, half closing her eyes with a faint sound of contentment.

Lastay stood. “We’ll find them, Xena.” He said. “I’ll keep you informed.”

Xena nodded, lifting her hand in dismissal as the three men left the room, and then two of the soldiers followed. That left only Jellaus with them, and two other soldiers, who made their way to the kitchen entrance and left through it.

Jellaus stood and bowed. “Gracious ladies, I will go make my self seemly.” He indicated his stained and blood spattered clothes. “Be at peace for now.” He ducked out of the room before they could answer, and then, finally they were alone.

The silence was, to Gabrielle’s surprise, quite refreshing. She stroked Xena’s leg, now able to hear the queen’s quiet breathing and the soft creaks of the windows blocking out the weather across the room. “I’m sure it won’t be that bad.” She said.

“The food?” Xena leaned back against the headboard and wrapped her arms around Gabrielle’s body. “Ah, I don’t care. I’m not hungry anyway.” She exhaled. “Too much... “ Her voice stopped, then she lifted one hand up and made a vague gesture at herself. “My guts hurt.”

Gabrielle listened intently. “You really sound tired.”

“I am.” Xena replied honestly. “Every bit of me is.”

Her voice sounded it. Gabrielle could hear the hoarse edge, and the throatiness, but beyond that there was a tone there she never remembered hearing before. Cautiously, she shifted so she could look up at Xena’s face. The skin around her eyes was still puffy and she looked drawn and yes, in fact, exhausted.

Terribly vulnerable. Gabrielle put her arm around her. “All the time I was... I was so sick... “ She said. “I could hear you, calling me.”

“Did you?”

“I did.” Gabrielle said. “It was... it was really strange, you know?” She went on. “It was like I could hear things, but I couldn’t move around.”

She felt Xena shift and after a minute they were all tangled together and she felt a sense of warm security surround her as the queen slid into bed next to her and got under the covers.

“I was calling you.” Xena said. “I was screaming your name so loud I’m surprised every spider in the castle didn’t come down from the ceiling on top of us.”

“There were other people there.” Gabrielle went on, after a pause. “They were telling me to come with them, to go where my family was.”

“Hm.” Xena made a low sound in her throat.

“I told them no.” Gabrielle said. “I told them I didn’t want to go there.” She gazed off into the shadows across the room. “I didn’t want to leave you.” She felt Xena exhale against her scalp and the pressure as she leaned her head against the spot. “I got away from them.”

Xena exhaled again, and sniffled a little.

“Then.. “ Gabrielle went on, a big hesitantly since it sounded crazy, even in her own head. “Another voice was talking to me. They.... they said they were there to help.” She said. “They said someone... that someone I guess who had... they said gone before, was trying to hurt you.”

Xena remained completely silent.

“That voice. They told me I just had to want to bad enough and I could go back to you and I did.” Gabrielle said. “I could feel something trying to stop me, but I heard you calling me and... “ She paused again. “Nothing could stop me from coming back to you.”

She looked up at Xena, and found those piercing eyes watching her, filled with unshed tears, but sharp, and potent and intent. The expression of dull exhaustion was gone. “Maybe I just imagined that.” Gabrielle admitted. “It was all kind of crazy.”

“Maybe.” Xena replied.

“But it seemed real.”

“They said someone who went before, was trying to hurt me?” Xena pronounced, slowly and carefully.

Gabrielle nodded. “This other voice.” She said. “She said they were trying to hurt you through me.” She frowned. “And something... I guess something like it was a usual thing.” She felt Xena’s hold tighten just a bit. “But that voice seemed to know you.”

“Know me?”

“Yes.” Gabrielle said. “She told me... to be true, because you were.” She looked back up at Xena, seeing her head tilt just a little bit as she thought, her lashes blinking and scattering a tiny shower of droplets down her face. “So I knew I had to go back and find you.”

Xena let out a slow breath. “That I was true.” She mused.

Gabrielle reached up and put her hand over Xena’s heart. She could feel the beats through the robe she was wearing. “I will be true, Xena.” She whispered. “She called you my soulmate.”

The word echoed just a little. Xena felt a prickle inch it’s way down her spine and she felt short of breath for a moment. She looked away, then she looked back at Gabrielle, seeing a new depth in the sea green eyes looking back at her. There was a certainty there that found an unexpected resonance in her. “I am.” She said. “I just never knew what the word for it was.”

It was Gabrielle’s turn to blink in some surprise.

“From the very minute I saw you.” The queen said. “I knew we were destined for each other. It took me a long time to figure out what, and why and how, but I knew.” She shifted a little, so they could look at each other more easily. “I’m really glad you listened to that voice, Gabrielle.”

“Yeah, me too.” Gabrielle managed a smile. “After all, you stuck around when I asked you to, right?”

Xena nodded. “I did.” She agreed. “You needed me to.”

Gabrielle looked her in the eye. “You need me.” She said, quietly.

Xena didn’t even blink. “I do.” She leaned over and kissed Gabrielle on the head. “So thank the gods you figured that out and you don’t think I’m going to dump you anymore.” She buried her face into Gabrielle’s hair, and just held her. “Sorry it took all this to do that.”

Gabrielle felt like she was floating again, but this time in a good way. It was as if she’d been waiting for this moment her whole life, and now it was here, and it was as though a door had opened into a completely different place.

It even made her head ache less. It made her heart soar.

“Anyway.” Xena sighed. “Glad you told me all that.”

Gabrielle took hold of her hand and gently kissed the palm of it, feeling the faint twitch in the strong muscles on the either side of where her lips were. “Do you know who it was, that was trying to hurt you?” She asked, looking up at the queen’s profile.

Xena studied her. Then her face shifted in a wry expression. “Could have been a whole lot of people.” She admitted. “I’ve sent a lot of souls down the river to Hades, y’know.” She let her head rest against the pillow. “Where do I start? From the kids I killed in the pit to nobles I gutted, to my own brother.... “ She shrugged a little. “Maybe they had something to do with that damn weather outside.”

Gabrielle glanced at the window. “How do you fight something like that?”

“I have no clue.” The queen said. “First time it’s ever come up. Usually people I kill stay dead, Hades, most of them probably end up in the Fields and thank me for it.”

Gabrielle continued kissing Xena’s hand. “Maybe someone didn’t end up there.”

Xena gazed quietly at the fire. “Maybe.”

“Is that fewer people to think about?”

“Maybe.”

**

At last, Xena felt secure enough to let sleep start to gather her in. It was dim in the bedroom - only the glow from the fire, and two candles broke the gloom and it was quiet too, there were a half dozen soldiers in the outer chamber and four on the stairs and Brendan himself was in Gabrielle’s solarium with two other men on guard.

Gabrielle was curled up in her arms, her head resting against Xena’s shoulder. She wasn’t yet sleeping herself, her fingertips were gently stroking the skin over her lower ribcage, just an idle bit of sensation making Xena’s lips twitch into a smile.

“How are you feeling?” She asked.

“Not too bad.” Gabrielle answered. “Stiff, a little.” She admitted. “My head hurts less though.”

Expected. Xena stroked her hair, careful to avoid the still visible lump. She had let Gabrielle coax her into having some of the supper the soldiers had brought up for her and she’d appreciated even more the mug of ale that had finally relaxed her.

Her sword was resting against the headboard, in it’s sheath. She had confidence in her guardians, but there always was that chance, wasn’t there? She wasn’t going to risk not having the old thing close by.

Her soldiers were out there, with the Persians, and Lastay, searching for the intruders. Xena felt absolutely no urge to join them. Her persistent barging around in that process had lead directly to Gabrielle’s getting hurt, and she’d finally gotten through her admittedly thick head making herself a target made them both one.

Well, no kidding, Xena. “I’m such an idiot sometimes.” She commented mournfully

“You’re never an idiot, Xena.” Gabrielle protested. “Don’t say that.”

“But I am.” Xena shifted into a more comfortable position, letting her head rest on the pillow at last, as Gabrielle squirmed a little higher and wrapped her arm around her waist. “If I was smart, and acted like a queen and gave orders to people instead of trying to do everything myself, we’d get hurt less.”

Gabrielle didn’t answer. “Hm.” She issued a soft grunt, unable to really refute the statement.

“Stupid way to have to learn that.” Xena sighed. “Anyway. You ready to see if we can get some rest?” She rubbed Gabrielle’s back gently. “You’ll be around when we wake up, right?”

The question was light. Xena’s voice held a slightly humorous note, but Gabrielle could hear her heartbeat skip and her breathing hitch. “Absolutely.” She said. “I’m not going anywhere and you better not either.” She pressed herself against Xena’s side and ran her fingertips in a light circle around the queen’s navel.

Xena let out a soft grunt. She wrapped her arm around Gabrielle’s shoulders and let her eyes close, the friendly sensation relaxing her. Briefly she struggled against sleeps onslaught, then surrendered to an exhaustion of body and mind she rarely experienced.

Gabrielle felt her lover’s breathing even out and the tension in the tall form she was wrapped around ease. She tipped her head back a little to look up at the queen’s face, dimly lit from the bedside candle. There was still visible strain there, and she felt a small lump rise in her throat as she thought about what they’d just been through.

A flicker of candelight on metal caught her eye, and she looked over to where Xena’s sword was resting in it’s leather sheath, it’s stern length extending down to the floor. More than her chests full of jewels, and the crown she sometimes twirled on her finger, this plain blade, it’s hilt worn smooth from her hands signified the power of her throne.

Gabrielle didn’t want to see it wielded tonight. She’d seen far too much of Xena’s vulnerability in the last few hours to want to see her defend that power. Not that she wouldn’t. That one brief moment, funny and embarrassing to all of them except her had showed that.

Exhausted or not, drained or not, she’d held that sword out in a steady hand, her half naked body thrumming with visible power. Xena would do whatever she had to do, no matter what state she was in. Gabrielle studied her bedmates’s face again, glad to now see the worry erased from it, finally relaxed in full sleep.

Oddly, she felt right now like she was the one who was doing the protecting, though. She felt the weight of the responsibility she supposed she always had, but now fully realized she had, to protect the fragility of this woman’s soul.

Xena had, in fact, once told her but she hadn’t really understood, when she’d demanded Gabrielle promise her to be able to protect herself, to keep herself alive in the dangers they often walked into. This was what she’d meant. But Gabrielle knew if she’d had it to do all over again, down there in the tunnel, under that rapidly falling ceiling, she’d do the same thing.

She’d push Xena out of the way. She’d put herself in danger to protect her. If someone was shooting an arrow at them she’d step in front of it.

Probably driving Xena crazy, because she’d have to hop over her to catch the stupid thing. Gabrielle smiled wryly, in self knowledge. But she would because that’s just who she was. She figured Xena probably knew that because really, it was one of the things they shared.

What had she called it? Crazy brave? Yeah, well, they both were.

Gabrielle allowed herself to relax, the warmth of Xena’s body seeping into her and coaxing her sore body into a state where she thought she might be able to drift off. She let out breath and closed her eyes, immediately aware of the sound of her lover’s heartbeat and the steady motion of her ribs.

Soulmate. What did that mean, really? Gabrielle could feel sleep creeping over her as she pondered the question. She wasn’t entirely sure, though she did like the term.

Oh well. She supposed they’d figure it out.

**

It seemed only a moment later when she opened her eyes again. But Gabrielle knew time had passed since her entire body was stiff and she could see a dim, gray light outside the heavy curtains on the far side of the chamber. She took a breath and released it, moving her head very cautiously.

The pounding ache was gone. Gabrielle reached up and touched the side of her skull, relieved to find the lump there much reduced. Then she glanced up to find Xena still deep asleep, the queen’s eyelids twitching a little betraying her lover to be dreaming.

She looked around the chamber. The candles had burned out, and there was only the barest glow from the fire, but if she concentrated, she could hear faint sounds around the castle, soft footsteps in the outer chamber, and muffled voices.

She was thirsty. Her mouth was dry and felt like there was cloth inside it, but she didn’t want to move around too much because it would wake Xena up.

Then it became a moot point, as the queen’s body suddenly tensed and her eyes popped open, her hands coming up in a defensive motion as her breathing accelerated.

“Xena.” Gabrielle froze in place, knowing better than to get in the way. “Hey!”

After a second, the coiled body under her relaxed and Xena let her hands drop to the surface of the bed with a twin thud. “Son of a bitch.” She got out hoarsely, then cleared her throat. “You okay?”

“I’m okay.” Gabrielle patted her on the stomach, feeling the surface heaving as Xena caught her breath. “Are you okay?” She peered up at her as Xena lifted a hand and put it over her eyes. “Xena?”

Xena rubbed her eyes. “Stupid dream.” She said briefly. “What the Hades time is it?” She asked. “My back’s killing me.”

“I don’t know.” Gabrielle rolled over onto her own back, immediately regretting it when the chill of the room penetrated the covers and made her shiver. “Brr.”

Xena sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bed, letting out a little groan. She got up and stretched, grimacing, before she turned and tucked the covers back around Gabrielle. “You’d think someone would have the damn sense to stir the fire in here.”

She grabbed her robe off the side table and shrugged into it, tying the belt and rubbing her arms against the chill.

She made her way over to the window and stuck her head between the curtains, seeing a heavy gray sky overhead, and still falling snow. “Ugh.” Xena turned and went over to the fireplace, grabbing several chunks of the wood in the hopper and tossing them into the open space. “Brendan!”

The sound of boots approaching responded to her call, and in a moment, Brendan was sticking his head inside the door. “Mistress?” He glanced at the bed, his face relaxing when he saw Gabrielle’s head poking from the covers looking back at him.

Xena turned from her position standing in front of the fire. “Someone think I wanted to have Gabrielle waking up half frozen?” She went back to tossing wood on the fire, poking at it with an iron bar.

Brendan eased in. “Ah.” He said. “We didn’t care to wake you. Figured you both could use the rest.” He apologized. “Want some supper in?”

Xena paused in her fire building and looked at him. “What?” She said. “What the Hades time is it?”

“Near going dark.” Brendan said, with a touch of wryness. “Been holding all of em at bay the day long. Told em all to let you sleep.” He cleared his throat a little self conciously. “Not that they’ve much to tell, mind ye.”

The queen straightened, and put her hands on her hips. “Are you telling me we’ve been sleeping all damn day?”

“Aye.”

“Wow.” Gabrielle commented, as she pushed herself a little more upright. “No wonder I feel so stiff.”

“No kidding.” Xena exhaled. “Yeah, send food in here.” She sat down in one of the two stuffed chairs with a thump. “Well, if nothing else, it let Gabrielle get some rest.” She looked over at the bed. “Right?”

“Um. Yes.” Gabrielle sounded a little surprised. “I feel pretty okay.” She rotated her head a little and rubbed the back of her neck. “Any water over there?”

Brendan disappeared into the outer room, and now the sounds out there were more pronounced, and sharper. Xena got to her feet and went over to the mantle, picking up a cup and looking around. “How about.. “ She paused, and frowned. “There’s no damn water in here.”

For a moment she seemed stumped, standing there with the cup in her hands. Then she strode over to the window again, pulling the curtain aside and unlatching one of the leaded panes. With an impatient shove, she pushed the frame open and reached out, scooping the cup full of snow and then pulling her hand back inside.

Then she went over to the fire and held the cup close to it, watching as the snow dissolved quite quickly into liquid. Then she swirled it and took a mouthful before she brought it over to the bed and offered it to Gabrielle.

“Thanks.” Gabrielle sipped it gratefully, as Xena brought over a thick, woven shift and slipped it over her head.

A moment later, the door opened again and several soldiers entered, one carrying a tray. The others went around the room lighting the candles, and shortly the room was lit with a golden glow.

Xena went back over to the fire and sat down, extending her bare feet towards the warmth. “So what’s going on, now that you let me spend the whole damn day oblivious.”

Brendan went over and sat down next to her.

Gabrielle put the cup down and pulled the covers back, pushing herself upright and sitting up on the edge of the bed. For a moment, the room whirled around her and she almost lay back down again, then waiting until the vertigo passed.

She held on to the canopy post and stood up, relieved to let her spine stretch out.

“Hey!” Xena barked from the fire .”What are you doing?”

“Just standing” Gabrielle said. “My body’s tired of laying down.” She gave the soldier standing nearby a smile “Hello.”

“Your grace.” The soldier saluted her.

Xena got up and came over, hovering around her and glaring at the soldier until he hastily backed away. “Want to come over by the fire?”

Gabrielle nodded, not entirely surprised when Xena slid her arm around her shoulders and made a motion to pick her up. “Can you help me walk over there?” She asked. “I kinda want to work the kinks out.” She got her arm around Xena’s waist and hugged her.

“Easy.” Xena reluctantly went along with it, keeping a secure hold on her as they made their way around the bed over to the fire. She settled Gabrielle into the chair she’d been using and perched on the arm, watching as her consort held her hands out to the fire and sighed in pleasure.

“Would you like some tea, majesty?” One of the soldiers came over with a small tray and two cups. “And we have some bread and stew, made it ourselves outside there.”

Gabrielle was glad to be sitting again. The warmth of the fire was soaking into her bones and the ache was slowly easing. She took the cup Xena offered her and cradled it in her hands, breathing in steam that was scented with mint and honey.

“Go on.” Xena told Brendan. “You were telling me about a dead pig?”

Gabrielle wrinkled her nose.

“Found it in the main hall.” Brendan agreed. “Splayed open, bowels and all on the floor. Lastay came to get me.” He scrubbed his face. “Had your name writ in blood next to it.”

“Nice.” Xena grunted.

“That’s horrible.” Gabrielle said. “What a bunch of jerks these guys are.”

“Hm.” The queen grunted again. “That doesn’t make any sense though.” She took a sip of her tea. “Why a pig? They’ve focused on people up till now.” She pondered the question. “Or are they saying they think I’m a pig?” She looked more amused than insulted.

Brendan shook his head. “Like they’re playing with us.” He said. “Boys were in those tunnels all the night long. Found bags of stuff those bastards stole from us, knives and arrows and all that. I took em to the barracks. The desert boys are all over the lower levels looking.”

“So no sign of the bastards, though?” Xena asked. “Turn this place over and I bet we find something.”

Brendan shook his head again. “Problem is them tunnels down below all turn into each other it’s like chasin a pack of ground rats in a field. Chase em down one hole, they pop up another one.”

Xena leaned back a little, waving the tray with the stew on it forward. She thought about what Gabrielle had told her the previous night, about what she’d heard.. or thought she’d heard, when she’d been unconscious.

Was that real? Was there really some dead person trying to get back at her and if so, which one? She’d killed so many damn people over the years, how could she pick one? Or maybe it wasn’t real, maybe it was just some dream Gabrielle had been caught in, like she’d been herself before she’d woken up.

Crappy dream. Xena sighed. Stupid crappy dream probably a leftover from the day, her in a dark hall watching Gabrielle fade away from her, eyes sad, hand reaching.... She wrenched her thoughts away from that and took another gulp of tea instead.

“Xena?”

She looked up, to find Brendan looking at her. “Sorry. Thinking.” She said. “How do we flush these guys out into the open so we can catch them? We’ll be chasing them until spring otherwise.”

“We could use a bit of fire.” Brendan suggested.

“And end up burning the stronghold down?” Xena gave him a wry look. “All the windows are closed for the damn snow. We’ll end up smoked like salmon.”

“Ah.”

“Xena.” Gabrielle spoke up. “They’re after you, aren’t they?” She had dipped a piece of the bread into the stew and was slowly nibbling on the edge of it. “So the only thing that will draw them out is if you make them come here, right?”

Both Xena and Brendan looked at her. “The last place in the realm I want any of those bastards is here.” Xena said, flatly. “I don’t want them anywhere near you.”

“No way.” Brendan added. “We’ve got this area surrounded tight as a bug, your Grace. Matter of fact.. “ He glanced at Xena. “Wanted to see what you thought about going back to the old place for now.”

“But.”

“No.” Xena and Brendan talked at the same time.

Gabrielle went back to nibbling her bread. The stew was okay, not nearly as good as her own would have been, but she still didn’t have much of an appetite. It felt good to be sitting up though, and the warmth of the fire eased some of the cramping in her muscles.

Xena was out of sorts, she realized. The queen hated being caught sleeping in, and she was probably feeling a little embarrassed about all the fuss she’d let them make over her yesterday. Plus, she’d woken up from a bad dream. Gabrielle could always tell when that happened and it tended to put her in a bad mood for a while.

She leaned her head against Xena’s hip. In reflex, the queen released one hand off her tea cup and let it drape over Gabrielle’s shoulder. This put her fingers invitingly near Gabrielle’s lips, and she traded off her bread for kissing them.

Xena stopped talking in mid word, and looked down at her.

“I know you don’t want any bad guys here.” Gabrielle said. “But coudn’t you trick them? What if they thought we were going to go back up to the tower, and you figured out a way to get them there and trap them?”

Xena studied her for a long moment.

“We don’t have to be there.” Gabrielle said. “They just have to think we are.”

Xena looked at Brendan, and then back at Gabrielle. “Why didn’t we think of that?” She asked her captain. “We’re getting too damn old to do this, Brendan.” She complained. “Why in Hades does it take her to tell us the obvious?”

Brendan looked a bit abashed. “Been a long couple days, Xena.”

“What’s my excuse? I’ve been sleeping for two days!” The queen retorted.

Gabrielle wasn’t really up to laughing, but she felt like doing it anyway. Instead, she very gently bumped her head against Xena’s hip and was rewarded by the sensation of her lover’s fingertips threading their way through her sleep disheveled hair and just as gently scratching her scalp.

“That’s really not a bad idea.” The queen said. “Let them think they have me on the run, Brendan. Let them think I’m going up to the tower and hiding there. It’s the most defensible place in the stronghold. Only two ways up, the kitchen stairs and the main ones, and that rotunda to put troops in.”

“Be making others think that, Mistress.” Brendan reminded her.

“LIke I care?” Xena said. “I’ve spent my whole tenure here not giving a damn what anyone thought of me, why start now?”

Brendan stared pensively at her. “People are scared.” He finally said. “Weather’s making them crazy, somewhat.”

Xena frowned. “What does that mean?” She asked. “They going to storm my chambers and strip me naked? WHip me with horse traces?” Her brows lifted a little at his noncommittal expression. “I can still use that sword back there, y’know.”

“No one doubts it.” Brendan responded immediately. “I’m just sayin there’s lots of scared people around. More than the place usually holds. Already had to break up some fights.”

“Did you.” Xena said, after a moment. “What happened yesterday?” She waited, but her captain wouldn’t meet her eyes. “Brendan?” Her voice took on a deeper pitch.

He finally looked up. “Some of the Westlanders acted out.” He said. “Saying things about... Anyway. We put em down.” He took a breath. “I take responsibility for it, Xena. I led em to it and the first blood was mine.” He touched his sword. “Lost my temper and next thing I knew they were dead.”

Xena studied him. “How many did you kill?”

“All of them.” Brendan met her eyes.

“I see.” The queen murmured. She could now imagine the chaos in the stronghold. Fear of the intruders warring with fear of her own men. “What were they saying?” She asked. “Was it about me?”

Brendan shook his head.

Ah. Xena glanced at Gabrielle, who was watching her captain with a concerned expression. “Then you just did what I would have.” She said. “No fault to you, old friend.”

Brendan looked up at her, as Gabrielle reached over and touched his arm.

“All the more reason then.” The queen went on. “Let’s take advantage of everyone thinking I’ve gone over the edge, that you’ve gone over the edge, and that my only concern is my skin and hers.” She leaned over and kissed Gabrielle ‘s head. “We’re moving to the tower. Put the word out.”

“Mistress.” Brendan gazed steadily at her. “I will.”

“Gabrielle’s right. It’s time to stop chasing and start laying our own trap. We’ve been fools.” Xena said, “But all that won’t matter when I’ve got their blood on my blade.” Her lips twitched. “And it will be.”

Brendan got up and saluted, then headed for the door.

Xena leaned her arm on the back of the chair and sighed. “This is another one of those times I’m going to kick my ass and flap my arms and fly, ain’t it?”

Gabrielle eyed her, handing her over a bowl of stew. “Guess you’ll need this then.”

“Hah.”

**


Part 9

Gabrielle was surprised to find herself comforted by the surroundings of the tower. She’d come to much prefer their bigger, lighter quarters in the lower level, but as she was settled in the big, slightly worn chair in front of the fire in Xena’s old bedroom, she felt her heart lift.

There were so many memories here. Gabrielle smiled a little as she thought about all those past winter nights she had spent in front of this fireplace, writing her stories and practicing some of them while Xena sprawled in the chair next to her, eyes half closed and her gaze lost in the flames.

Just being together. The thoughts made her happy, but it was cold, and she shivered. “Brr.”

“Bring that blanket over here.” Xena ordered, from her place kneeling next to the chair. “It’s colder than a fish’s ass in this damn place.”

“Thanks for carrying me up here.” Gabrielle laced her fingers with the queen’s. “That was really nice of you.”

“It was pointlessly cranky and selfish of me.” Xena disagreed. “I could have given any one of these hoary loyal bastards the thrill of their lives, and what do I do? Keep it all to myself. Typical me.”

“Xena.”

“Yes, Gabrielle?” Xena seemed to have regained her sense of humor on the long walk up the steps. “I carried your ass up the steps outside in the rain with a hole the size of a spit dog in my back. That should have been enough for me for a lifetime.”

“I remember that.” Gabrielle smiled. “I was so glad to see you.”

“Likewise.” The queen smiled back. She took the blanket Brendan held out and tucked it around her consort, while two of the soldiers worked to start the fire going in the big fireplace. “I remember you cleaning out that damn fireplace and thinking ‘what kind of nut did I bring in here?”

“Well, I was supposed to clean.” Gabrielle said. “I wanted to do a good job so you’d keep me around.”

“It worked.” Xena remarked dryly. “Probably a little better than you intended.”

“Yeah.” Her consort admitted. “I was just hoping to get scraps from your dinner.”

That got a chuckle out of the queen. “Instead you got me for dinner. Lucky you.”

“Xena, I’m going to bring up y’things and her Graces.” Brendan said. “We’ve got the lower tower stairs blocked off.”

“Good.” Xena said. “I heard the comments when we went through the hall. Nice.” Her humor dissolved at once. “They’re lucky I had my hands full or I’d have cut some tongues out.” She exhaled. “Thought that would have ruined my plan I guess.”

Brendan frowned.

“ So go down there. Act like you’re worried about me being afraid.” The queen instructed him. “Do a good job, Brendan. If we coax this bastard up here sooner than later, we can go back to watching the acrobats and drinking ourselves into a stupor.” She said. “I want him to think I’m up here shaking.”

“Tis a hard thing.” Brendan said. “Does me ill to speak anything but well of you, Xena.”

Xena smiled unexpectedly, a warm, kind smile not at all like her usual one. “Don’t worry.” She put her hand on her captains shoulder. “I’ll let you tell them how much of a smart ass I was once I gut those damn assassins.”

Brendan sighed.

“Get Jellaus to help you, Brendan.” Gabrielle suggested. “He knows how to do that. How to make a story work for him.” She watched Brendan’s expression brighten. “I’d help you too but I think Xena wants me to stay here.”

“Hah. Yes.” Xena returned her attention to her consort. “Warm enough?”

Gabrielle moved the edge of the blanket over her knees, as the fire started to catch in the grate and added it’s heat as well. “It’s okay now.” She felt the shivers ease and her muscles relaxed. She looked into the flames, and memories started to surface of her first few days in the castle.

It was hard to make a connection back to the person she’d been in those days. So afraid, and confused, hurting from losing her family, from watching Lila die before her eyes. Wanting so much to be angry at Xena for that and so very bewildered when she couldn’t be.

How disloyal she’d felt, when she finally figured out what she was feeling.

She remembered waking up and hurting, finding herself in Xena’s bed with Xena sleeping next to her. Her head had felt a lot like it did now, matter of fact. All achy, and as though if she moved it too fast, it would really hurt. So she let it gently rest against Xena’s shoulder.

Despite sleeping as long as she had, she still felt tired. But she blinked a few times, and picked up the cup of tea she’d brought up stairs with her. She sipped at it, the taste reviving her even though it was already cold.

“Don’t go anywhere.” Xena got to her feet, and dusted her hands off. “I’m gonna change into something more comfortable and figure out where I want to lay my traps up here.”

“Okay.” Gabrielle squirmed into a more comfortable position, leaning on the chair arm so she could watch Xena roam around the room. There were a lot of other people there too, soldiers mostly, but three servants and the Persian back against the back wall.

Xena avoided all of them as she prowled, going over every inch of the space. “Someone make sure that damn cat isn’t under the bed. I don’t want to be cutting it in half if it moves out to piss tonight.” She circled the tall dresser near the back wall and then opened it, sticking her head inside.

One of the soldiers obediently got on the ground and crawled over to the side of the bed, lifting up the linen skirting and peering underneath. For a moment he froze, then he let out a yell, throwing the entire room into chaos.

Chaos, because Xena backed out of the cabinet with an explosive bound, launching herself sideways and bowling over two other soldiers who were scrambling to get out of her way. She landed between the bed and Gabrielle and spread her long arms out, bellowing at the top of her voice.

The rest of the soldiers pounced on the bed, one grabbing the man on the floor by the waist and hauling him backwards the rest of them lifting the bed up and moving it in a show of sheer manly strength as the Persian and two other soldiers pulled weapons out and leaped forward to pounce on whatever was under it.

Only Gabrielle remained still, and quiet. She figured, rightly, that moving or getting in the way in any sense would not only be pointless, it also would probably get her hurt or worse, get Xena hurt if the queen tried to protect her from whatever it was.

The Persian dove under the bed and then a scream emerged, long and loud and high. When it ended, everyone shut up, and the Persian backed out rapidly, shaking one hand and hauling something out with the other. “Aha! A demon!”

Gabrielle’s eyes widened, as she remembered what the voice in the darkness had told her. Was this the thing trying to hurt Xena?

The men clustered around as a ratty, bedraggled figure emerged, struggling against his hold, blinking against the candlelight.

Xena straightened to her full height, peering over the heads of the soldiers and then, with a disgusted little sigh, settled back down. “Hold it!” She yelled. “Stop dragging the damn woman all over the ground!”

“Oh, Xena.” Gabrielle had poked her head around the back of the chair. “It’s one of the circus people.” She said, recognizing one of the random ones in the background of the show, moving the pieces of rigging around. There had been five or six of them, short and alike looking, with brownish curly hair and slightly flattened noses.

And here was one of them, hiding in Xena’s old bedroom.

Xena put her hands on her hips. “So I see.” She said, observing the striped costume, and the frightened, glaring eyes. “So I guess we need to find out why they were under our bed, huh?” She turned her head. “Thanos, go out to the dancing hall and get that old man in charge. Bring him up here. Don’t tell him why.”

“Mistress.” The man saluted, and headed out of the room.

The Persian had the woman now by both arms, his big, muscular hands dwarfing the woman’s limbs as he held her still. “Would have rather found the cat.” He commented. “We like cats. Not so with snakes in strange clothing hiding in corners.”

“Or under beds.” Xena said. “Can you talk?” She addressed the woman.

The woman’s dark eyes just remained glaring at her.

Gabrielle started to get up, then halted when Xena slowly swung around and pinned her with a pair of intent, blue eyes. She settled back in her chair and gave the queen a sheepish smile. After a moment, Xena returned the smile, holding that for a minute before she turned back around.

The woman looked scared. Gabrielle leaned on the chair arm so she could see her better, noting the bruises on her face, and the air of desperation that clung to her. “Hey, Xena?”

The queen turned and leaned on the back of her chair. “Yes?”

Gabrielle lowered her voice, turning so she was under Xena’s looming from. “Maybe she ran away from them.” She whispered. “She looks kinda hungry.”

“Maybe.” Xena whispered back. “But the coincidence of her running away and ending up in our old bedroom makes me want to stab her just to make sure.”

Gabrielle made a face.

Xena leaned a little further, and kissed her on the top of her head. Then she straightened and turned back around. “Well?? She walked towards where the Persian had her held tight. “Don’t make me have Lakmas find your tongue for you.”

Lakmas smiled, his teeth large and very white against his desert dark skin.

But the woman remained silent, staying still in the Persian’s grip, but dropping her eyes to the ground and refusing to look at the queen’s face.

“Take her to the outside chamber.” Xena orderered, making sure she was very obviously between the woman and Gabrielle’s chair as the Persian got up, and he and one of the soldiers walked the woman out. “Let me know when the circus owner gets here.”

She waited for the door to close. “Search under that bed.” She told the other two soldiers. “I want to know if there’s so much as a dust bunny under there.” She turned and studied Gabrielle for a minute, then she went over and knelt next to the nearer soldier, putting her hand on his back as she peered cautiously under the space beneath the platform of the bed.

The soldier let out a squeak, then hastily glanced behind him. “Sorry Majesty.”

“No problem.” Xena said. “Just be glad I didn’t have my sword out.”

“Yes, majesty.” The man got down on his knees and elbows and crawled under the bed, as two of his comrades lifted it up. “There’s a bag under here!”

Aha. “Careful.” Xena said. “Remember all the traps we almost walked into.”

THe man took out his dagger and gently probed at the dark mass, drawing his hand back and dragging it with him as he eased cautiously out from under the platform. The bag was crude and rough, a dirty gray fabric with a bit of rope to tie the top shut.

The soldier rolled over and sat up, splaying his legs out with the bag in between them. He looked at it, and then up at Xena. “Should I open it, Majesty?”

Unable to resist, Gabrielle got up as quietly as she could, holding on to the chair and leaning against it as she peered over the back to see what was going on. Xena was kneeling next to the bed, and the soldiers were all watching her like hawks as she took the dagger the man had been holding and with an expert flick of her wrist, untied the knot.

The rope dropped limply from the bag and landed on the floor, and they all looked at it for a minute. Then Xena got up from her kneel into a crouch and stuck the knife in the bottom of the bag fabric, pulling it up and dumping the contents on the floor.

The torch light in the room mixed with the wan gray from the narrow windows showed a scatter of sad little items, a lump of candle end, a small rag, a tinder flint and striker, and what looked like a bundle of twigs tied with a piece of string.

Gabrielle edged a little to her left so she could see better. “Wow.”

Xena turned her head and glared. “Weren’t you supposed to be sitting down?” She asked.

“Wondering what was going on was making me feel worried. My head hurt.” Gabrielle responded in a mild, serious tone. “I thought it would be better if I could see you.” She watched Xena’s face, seeing the twitching along her cheeks that meant she was trying hard not to smile.

After a moment the queen turned back around, and resumed her kneeling posture, poking amongst the meagre possessions with the tip of the dagger. “Somehow, I don’t think this is who we were looking for.” She said. “At least, not based on this.”

“What is it?”

“Just what you’d expect to find in the bag of some kid running from home.” Xena said, leaning her elbow on her knee.

“Mistress.” One of the soldiers came to her side. “Found this.” He held out his cupped hands, which were full of fruit pits and old, gnarled rinds. “In the little room in there.” He indicated a doorway.

“Ah.” Xena selected one and inspected it. “Too fresh for Gabrielle to have left them, back in the bad old days when she slept in there.” She glanced at her consort, who was gently smiling at her. “Didn’t last long anyway. She ended up in my bed faster than a puppy.”

Everyone blushed, except for the queen. Gabrielle felt so lightheaded, she turned around and sat down again, glad, at least, that her... She paused the thought. Her soulmate? Her brow knit. It didn’t really seem to fit Xena, somehow.

Anyway. Glad at least that her queen had seemed to have recovered her spirits. Uncomfortable as it was for her, sometimes. She picked up her tea and sipped it, wishing she had a hot cup to replace it. As though someone had read her mind, the door opened and Jellaus appeared with a tray.

He came over and set it down on the table, glancing around the room. “What is it that goes on in here?” He looked quizzically at Xena and the soldiers, who were diligently searching under the bed. “And the lass outside?”

“She was under the bed.” Gabrielle explained, as she swapped her cold cup for a hot one he had poured out. “Thanks for the tea.” She pulled the blanket around her again as she glanced at the window. “Wow, it’s really still storming outside.”

“It is.” Jellaus agreed. “Storming outside, and inside, I think.” He poured a cup and handed it over to Xena, who had wandered over. “Xena, Brendan spoke to me. Are you sure this is the best course for you to take? Those criminals seem almost un natural in their motives.”

Xena sat down in the chair and wrapped her powerful hands around the cup to warm them. “Yes.” She said, after a brief pause. “I’m what they want.” She stared past them into the fire. “The longer we let this drag out, the less chance we have of coming out ahead in it. I’ve waited too long already.”

Jellaus sighed.

“I want it over now.” Xena continued. “So if the only way I can end it is to sacrifice my reputation then so be it.” She looked up and over at Gabrielle. “I know what matters to me now. This. “ She circled her finger around her indicating the stronghold. “Isn’t it.”

Jellaus smiled briefly. “But Xena, what if there is some way, some hidden tunnel up here?”

Xena looked at him, and her lips twitched into a wry smile. “I”m hoping like Hades there is. But you have to make sure all of them know I think there isn’t any, you got me?”

“Aye.”

“They already think I’m losing it.” Xena said. “They know I took myself and Gabrielle to bed drunk the other night, they know about the pig. They know about the westlanders. Now they just have to know I’m up here, scared, convinced I’m safe with my men guarding the place that I used to live in.”

“Xena.” Gabrielle cleared her throat. “These guys have been here for days. They know about the whole thing with Philtop. Won’t they figure out you’re trying to trap them anyway?”

“They might.” The queen said. “But it doesn’t matter, Gabrielle. Even if they think it’s a trap, they’ll still come after me because I’ve told the men to spread the word we’re going to burn the lower stronghold out tomorrow morning and if it kills everyone in it, I’m all right with that.”

Gabrielle blinked at her. “But you’re not going to do that.” She blurted out, in a tone of shocked certainty. “Xena, you can’t.”

Xena eased one of her legs over the chair arm, and leaned back. “Actually.” She said, in a very normal tone. “I could.” She took a sip of tea. “I’m capable of it. I care about what I care about. You. Him. Them.” Xena pointed at Gabrielle, then Jellaus, then at the soldiers. “To rid myself of those bastards yes I would burn out the lower quarters.”

Gabrielle took a breath, then just released it to trickle through her lips.

“I just don’t think it would do anything useful. They passed muster in the dining hall they’d just hide somewhere else.” The queen remarked. “I’m bloodthirsty, not stupid.” She swirled the tea in the cup. “ What I want is to draw them here, and make it personal. I don’t want anyone else getting hurt or getting killed because they want to taunt me.”

A little silence fell. Then Gabrielle looked over at Xena. “You know something?”

“What?” Xena tilted her head a little, her ears catching the sounds of Brendan arriving in the other room.

“I would rather you burn out the stronghold than risk something happening to you if those guys come up here.” Gabrielle said the words slowly, and clearly, meeting the queen’s eyes squarely.

Xena regarded her in silence for a moment. “Wow.” She finally said.

“Maybe, Xena, that’s exactly what these intruders want.” Jellaus said in a gentle tone. “Don’t walk into their hands thinking the trap your own.”

Xena exhaled. “I know it’s what they want.” She admitted. “I just don’t think I have a choice.” She got up. “Let me go see what this kid was doing under my bed. Let’s get that herring out of the way at least.”

**

Gabrielle was glad to be tucked back into bed, resting against several pillows in the bed she’d first known Xena in. Jellaus was perched next to her, playing a soft tune on his harp, and she had a nice big cup of freshly made hot tea on the bedside table waiting for her.

“Strange for you to be back here, Gabrielle?” Jellaus asked. “Here in what we used to call Xena’s Aerie?”

“Not really.” Gabrielle relaxed, lacing her fingers lightly on her stomach. “I like the big room downstairs but I have a lot of good memories from this one.” She admitted. “My whole life changed here, right near that fireplace.”

Jellaus smiled at her. “And her Majesty’s as well.”

“Yeah.” Gabrielle’s nose wrinkled up into a halfway embarrassed grin. “I think I didn’t realize how much until now.”

The minstrel strummed a light tune on the harp, running his fingers up the scale and plucking a gentle melody. “Nor she, I believe.” He said. “Was something that came unlooked for to her. I know she’d long past stopped expecting it.”

“Are you two talking about me?” Xena came in from the outer chamber, ending up with her knees bumping the edge of the bed and her hands coming to plant firmly on her hips.

“Yes.” Gabrielle admitted. “You’re my very favorite subject.”

“And mine as well, mistress.” Jellaus made a little bow in Xena’s direction.

The queen visibly blushed a little. “Cranks, the both of you.” She said. “Got enough pillows?” She diverted the conversation. “Now that I’m sure that little ragamuffin didn’t plant a spider bomb under the bed?”

“Runaway, eh.” Jellaus grunted. “Didn’t think that man was tough on his folk. Pity she wouldn’t speak up and say why she ran.” He swiveled to face Xena. “Strange.”

“She was scared.” Gabrielle spoke up.

“Scared.” Xena repeated the word slowly. “Scared of me? Scared of this place? Scared of being caught?”

“Scared of someone.” Gabrielle replied, in a quiet voice, as her eyes met the queen’s. “I remember what that felt like.” She could see the shifting emotions in Xena’s face. “Maybe she was running away from the same thing I wanted to get away from.”

Xena’s face shifted again, and her body posture relaxed. “Your father.”

Gabrielle nodded.

Jellaus was watching them both, his eyes going from one to the other. “He didn’t seem a man to harm his own.” He said, after a moment. “Shall I go play with them, and see if it’s so, Xena?”

“My father didn’t seem like that to anyone else either.” Gabrielle said. “The whole village liked him. He was everyone’s friend.” She paused. “Except me and Lila. I think he hated us because we weren’t sons, so..” She caught Xena’s intent, interested look. “So he was embarrassed. He said good things about us in public because he wanted to get us married but at home...”

“Ah lass.” Jellaus put a hand on hers.

“But at home, he beat us and raped Lila.” Gabrielle said, with a sense of relief that surprised her. “He beat our mother.” She added. “I hated him.”

Xena studied her somberly. “You have no idea what a disappointment it was for me to find out he was already dead.” She said. “Yeah, go see what the deal is, Jellaus. The guy didn’t strike me as a bastard either, but you never know. I find out he is, he’s going out the gate naked.”

“I will, mistress.” The minstrel got to his feet, turning and putting the harp down next to the bed. “Maybe you’d like to practice?” He offered. “Seems a nice quiet thing for you to do while you mend.”

“Quiet?” Gabrielle grimaced wryly. “I don’t want to hurt Xena’s ears. They’re really sensitive.”

Jellaus chuckled, and lifted his hand, heading for the door as Xena slid around the side of the bed and took his place on the stool. She picked up the harp and lifted it onto the bed next to Gabrielle, holding it there and scooting a little closer.

“You don’t really want to hear me play that.” Gabrielle said, with a wry expression. “I”m really awful.”

“I do.” Xena leaned on her elbows. “I don’t give a damn what it sounds like. It’s better than I could do, no matter what it is.” She said. “Only musician in the family was Ly.”

“That’s not true. You can sing.” Gabrielle objected immediately. “Xena you have the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard.”

Xena smiled, her lashes fluttering over her eyes a little. “Thank you.” She said, in a quietly sincere voice. “Ly and I used to sing together, when we were kids. It was one way to forget how damn scared we were.” She exhaled audibly. “Crazy what happens to kids, huh?”

There was that vulnerability again. Gabrielle reached around the harp and put her hand on Xena’s arm, waiting for her to look up and gently searching the eyes that met hers, absorbing the new and open honesty there. “Yeah, it is, isn’t it?” She said. “I think that’s why I knew things were wrong, when I was so sick. They were trying to get me to go to where they said my family was... but you’re my family, Xena.”

Xena’s smile eased into a more relaxed expression. “Back at you.”

Gabrielle released her hand, and lifted hers up to the harp strings, running the tips of them over the metal strands and surprising herself with a reasonably audible chord.

She kept watching Xena’s face, and as though of their own accord, her fingers plucked out a simple tune, at first with hesitation, but then, more surely as the queen’s eyes brightened and she nodded her head a little.

Where had the tune come from? Gabrielle didn’t know and it really didn’t matter. Maybe all those lessons had finally kicked in. With a bit more confidence, she played another verse of the tune, and after a moment, Xena took a breath and sung along with it, putting words to the notes in harmony.

It was like magic. Gabrielle grinned in delight as she brought the tune to it’s conclusion, and both the harp notes and the human ones faded out into quiet. “Wow.”

“That wasn’t bad.” Xena touched the harp. “You’ve been holding back on me, my love.”

Gabrielle shook her head a little. “I never did that before.” She said. “I mean.. I practiced it, but I...” She gently strummed the harp again, surprised at how comfortable and familiar it all felt. “I never played it straight through like that.”

“I liked it.”

“I liked your singing.” Gabrielle said. “It’s so pretty. Just like you.”

Xena was leaning on the bed with her elbows, and now she smiled, the candlelight gilding her skin. Then the smile faded a little. “You know what I figured out?”

“What?” Gabrielle gently strummed the strings, watching her lover through them.

“I figured out that the people around here didn’t respect you because I didn’t.” Xena said, in a quiet voice. “That hurt both of us.”

Gabrielle tilted her head. “What do you mean?”

“The names I called you. The way I talked to you.” Xena said. “You might as well have been the castle dog.”

Her consort remained silent for a while, considering. “You mean that muskrat thing?”

“That.” Xena said. “Other stuff.”

“I a..” Gabrielle paused. “I thought that meant you liked me.” She added, quietly. “You didn’t call anyone else anything like that.”

The queen stared at the linen on the bed. “Well.” She said. “I mean, it did.” She admitted. “To me it did.” She clarified. “It was... you’re my family, Gabrielle.” She looked up, watching her consort slowly nod. “That’s something you only do with family.”

“Yeah.”

“But I shoudn’t have done that in front of anyone.” Xena said. “It made them not respect you.”

Gabrielle lifted her hand off the harp and gently laid it against the queen’s cheek. “Oh, Xe.” She said. “I don’t care what anyone but you thinks.” She said. “Not really.”

The queen remained still for a moment, then she looked up. “Yeah, I know. But I was an idiot to treat you in a way that made anyone think less of you.

Xena seemed so serious. Gabrielle let the harp lean against her to give her a better view of her lover’s face. Her expression was a little sad, and she didn’t like that. “I don’t care.” She rubbed her thumb over Xena’s cheekbone. “I really don’t.”

The queen leaned forward and rested her head against Gabrielle’s shoulder. “It’ll be different.” She said. “Just let me clean up this damn mess and I’ll make it different. I promise.”

Gabrielle touched her head to her lover’s and smiled, feeling Xena’s breath warm the skin on her shoulder in a moment of unexpected but perfect contentment. She decided not to tell Xena that it didn’t really matter to her if she changed a thing, since this was, it seemed, something she felt strongly about.

If it made Xena happy to tell her things like that, Gabrielle was happy to hear it. “I love you.” She murmured. “You’ve made my life so amazing.”

Xena turned her head a little. “And often scary and crazy making.” She seemed to regain some of her usual humor. “But never boring, right?”

“Right.”

Xena took a breath to speak again, when a loud, thundering crash rumbled through the castle, bringing the queen to her feet so fast she actually hopped into the air making Gabrielle grab hastily for the harp before it tumbled off the bed “What the Hades!” She barked. “Brendan!”

Loud boots running were heard through the door, and shouts, and then another crash.

Xena took a breath, her hands clenching into loose fists near her thighs. She stared at the door, then she relaxed, walking over to where her sword was sheathed and drawing it. She brought it back over to the bed and sat back down on the stool, extending her booted legs and crossing them at the ankles and resting the point of the sword right where they crossed.

Gabrielle watched her curiously. “Aren’t you going to go see what happened?”

“No.” Xena leaned back against the table. “My crazy, paranoid brain is wondering if someone did that just to draw me out and leave you here. So I’m not going.” She shifted her grip on the sword and leaned her elbow on the bed next to Gabrielle’s. “Maybe I’ll get lucky and some shifty bastard will sneak in here thinking I’d leave you unprotected in my manic frenzy.”

The queen didn’t look particularly manic, Gabrielle reflected. And she wasn’t in a frenzy. She was just sitting there with her sword in her hands, and that made her consort feel very, very safe. “Do you really think they’d try that? I mean, even if you did go look, there are soldiers outside.”

“You think I trust soldiers to guard you?” Xena turned her head and regarded her mildly. “Much as I love my army, and I do, I can beat the crap out of any of them and you know it.”

“You can.” Gabrielle agreed. “I watched you do it all last winter.” She pointed at the ceiling. “Up there in your big room.”

“You sure did.” Xena said, then she fell silent her brow wrinkling. She shifted her eyes off to the right, and they went out of focus. “Huh.”

Gabrielle let her think, turning her attention to the harp. She moved it to a more comfortable spot and gently plucked it’s strings, trying out a few chords. It was thrilling and fun for her to hear them correctly sound for once, this surprising and new skill making her heart lift.

Why this? Why now? She struck another chord, then hesitantly started plucking the notes for another one of her practice tunes.

“You know something?” Xena said, suddenly. “I know when this started. It wasn’t when Philtop got here.”

Gabrielle stopped playing and looked at her. “It wasn’t?”

The queen shook her head. “No.” She said. “The last time I was up in the practice hall... there was something.” She uncrossed her ankles, drawing her knees up and putting her sword point between her feet, her hands wrapped around it’s hilt. “I thought I saw something... or heard something... thought someone was playing a prank or something on me.”

“Wow.”

“There was someone there.” Xena said, positively. “I’m sure of it. I went around that place three times and searched every damn inch but....”

“You didn’t find anyone?”

Xena shook her head. “But there was someone there. I..” She paused. “I sensed it.” She leaned back again. “Like I can sense you.”

“Me?” Gabrielle felt her sleepiness fade, intrigued at these unexpected confidences. “What do you mean?”

The queen booted the bottom of her sword a little with one food. “I dont’ know. It’s stupid.” She muttered. “I”m starting to sound crazy.”

Gabrielle reached over and put her hand on Xena’s leg. “Is it like... whenever you’re coming towards me, even if I’m not looking in that direction, I know you’re there?”

Xena eyed her, one brow hiking up. “You do?”

“I used to think it was - I guess I thought I was seeing people around me react to you coming, so I looked up, but then one time I was alone in the courtyard, no one else was around, and I just knew you were coming up behind me and I turned around and there you were.”

“You heard my boots.”

Gabrielle shook her head. “No, the wind was blowing into my face, I couldn’t hear anything behind me. I remember that, because they were harvesting herbs in the kitchen garden and I could smell them.” She disagreed. “I just felt you.”

Xena studied the hands she had clasped around her sword. “Yeah, it’s like that.” She said, after a long pause. “It’s like you’re a part of me.”

“Yeah, you know, that’s true.” Gabrielle replied. “It’s a sort of funny feeling, I can’t really describe what it’s like but...” She put her hand on Xena’s, rubbing her thumb over the queen’s knuckle. “I like it.”

She watched the queen’s profile, seeing a tension there that made her hitch herself up a little .”Xena?”

For a moment, Xena’s expression was stark, and lost, and then she reached up with her other hand and pinched the bridge of her nose, shaking her head a little. “Yeah? Sorry.” She said, taking a breath and releasing it.

“You okay?” Gabrielle asked, softly.

The outer door opened and Xena hastily drew herself up, clasping her hands on her sword hilt as boots crossed the outer hall. “Brendan?”

“Aye, mistress.” Brendan’s stocky form filled the doorway. “Thank the gods you and her grace came up to here. Whole glass in your rooms downstairs collapsed”

Xena blinked a few times. “Snow?”

“Ice more like.” Brendan said. “Snow went to rain a bit, turned it all to ice on the top there.” He turned to Gabrielle. “Woulda come down on both of ye.”

Xena nodded. “Sometimes my instincts are true.” She commented. “Place wasn’t safe. Should have known that when that first pane cracked. Rain means it’s warming a little.”

“Aye.” Brendan agreed. “Circus man said they’d do another show tonight take minds off it.”

“Wish I could see that.” Gabrielle said, wistfully. “That was so much fun, Xena.”

The queen’s eyes had been scanning the room, her expression thoughtful and intent. “Yeah, it was.” She replied. “Brendan, refresh my memory. Didn’t that piss ass dance hall have a royal booth up on the second level, behind those dusty brown curtains?”

Brendan frowned, and his gaze dropped to the floor. “Did it now?” He muttered. “Have to say, didn’t spend much time in there.”

“Me either.” Xena agreed. “But I remember Stanislaus mentioning it one time. He wanted to clean it up for me.” She glanced up at Brendan, going still when she saw the expression on his face. “He check out?”

“Aye.” Brendan answered after a pause. “Twas yesterday night, Xena. One of the boys went to check on him, and..” He sighed. “Just gone. Already cold. Every one of us was so..” He stopped.

“Yeah.” Xena sighed, herself. “Damn.”

“Oh Xena.” Gabrielle felt tears stinging her eyes, even though the fussy, often disdainful Stanislaus had never been a favorite person of hers, or she of his. “I’m sorry.” She squeezed her lover’s hand in hers.

The queen returned the squeeze. “I’m sorry too.” She said. “Sorry that poor bastard got his ass caught in my business, and sorry he went like that.” Her voice faltered a little. “All alone.”

All alone, because everyone who might have cared had been completely focused on her and the terror she was going through with Gabrielle’s life in the balance. It was all about her, hadn’t she said that? Hadn’t she told Gabrielle that over and over again?

Stanislaus had known that. But if she’d taken the time to check up on him, maybe he’d still be here. Xena faced that fact with an inner pang. “Damn it. I”m too damn old to be developing a blasted conscience.” She muttered under her breath.

“Mistress?”

Xena sighed. “He gets all honors, Brendan.” She said. “If he had a family, I’d be glad to pension him, but I don’t think he did, did he?”

Brendan shook his head. “Had a brother, once, but he died in the change.”

In the change. Xena had to admit her heart, at this moment, felt leaden. She, herself, hadn’t particularily cared for the man - but he’d been very good at what he did, and she’d respected him for that and treated him as fairly as she’d been capable of.

Not a pretty epitaph. She didn’t even have the comfort of succoring a family he’d left behind. Sucked to be her at the moment, didn’t it?

A gentle squeeze on her hand made her look to her right, where Gabrielle was watching her, with an expression of heartfelt sympathy.

No, it didn’t suck to be her at the moment. Xena felt like stabbing herself in the leg, disgusted at her self centered self pity. She was the luckiest bitch in the realm and she didn’t deserve any of it. “Let’s see if we can find that alcove and get it cleaned up.” She finally said. “I want Gabrielle to enjoy her circus.”

“Xena, you don’t have to do that.” Gabrielle hitched herself up again. “We can just stay here. I’ll tell you a story.”

“Humor me.” Xena lifted their joined hands and kissed the back of Gabrielle’s. “Come watch with me. Please?” She asked, with a look of gentle entreaty.

Gabrielle really had no idea what to say to that. Xena saying please to her was really unexpected. So she just nodded, and exchanged looks with Brendan.

“I’ll take care of it, Xena.” Brendan murmured. “Let you know when it’s ready.” He turned and left, and the room grew somber and quiet again.

“Xena?” Gabrielle finally said.

“Yeah?”

“Can I give you a hug?”

Xena straightened up and looked at her. “Do I look like I need one?” Her brow arched up.

“Yeah.”

Luckiest bitch in the realm. Xena leaned over and let herself be enveloped by Gabrielle’s arms, feeling a warmth surround her that was part real, and part emotion, surrendering herself to the need for it. She could have gone like Stanislaus had a hundred times over and instead, she was graced with this.

Damn.

**

Despite her protests, Gabrielle was really glad to be tucked into a comfortable armchair high above the dance hall with a great view of the show area.

Brendan had found the little booth, and he and four soldiers had cleaned it out and brought in the comfortable chairs in, along with a plush carpet to warm the stone floor.

So here she was, with a blanket around her and the faint murmur of the other spectators far below her, seated on the platforms that had been built for that purpose. Xena was standing behind her, talking to Brendan and Jellaus, and she could see the circus people starting to practice before their show.

She let her head rest against the high back of the chair and smiled. Though staying in the tower with Xena would have been great, being here and being able to see the circus was even better and here in the stone balcony, guarded by a whole bunch of Xena’s most loyal soldiers she also felt safe.

Of course, Xena was there too, in her armor, with her sword on, along with her big round knife, and daggers pretty much everywhere. Even though she had a pretty satin robe over all of it when she walked and kicked the edges up you could see her worn leather boots and the draped, lined hood over her back only partly hid the sheathed blade.

It was sort of scruffily adorable. Gabrielle, who had been described as just that on more than one occasion, smiled as she watched her lover look around, her dark head outlined against the torchlight.

Her little servant Mali was there too, tucked in a corner, her eyes bright with excitement. She was dressed in one of Gabrielle’s cloaks and every once in a while she looked around her with an expression of mild amazement. “Oh, your grace!” She said, peeking over the balcony. “What are they doing there?”

Gabrielle looked out at the stage. “They’re setting up to swing on those ropes there, see?” She pointed. “They swing on them, and then they jump from one to the other.”

“Really?” Mali edged a little closer. “Isn’t that dangerous?” She leaned her elbows on the balcony and watched the players. “Oh, look at them!”

Gabrielle tucked her blanket a little more snugly around her and leaned on the chair arm. “They juggle too and there’s animals. There’s a big cat, really big, and it’s orange and black. Xena let it lick her hand.”

Mali looked over at her, eyes wide.

“What story are you telling about me now?” Xena had heard her name, and sidled over, leaning her weight on the back of Gabrielle’s chair. “Got a nice view up here?”

“Yes.” Gabrielle tipped her head back a little so she could see the queen. “I was telling Mali here about that big cat”

“Ahhh.” Xena peered at the action outside. “To tell you the truth, I’d forgotten all about that.”

“Really?”

“Really.” The queen responded. “I got sidetracked by something a lot more important.”

Ah. Gabrielle realized what that something was, and it wasn’t the bad guy. “Sorry about that.” She watched Xena’s face. “Can we go see the cat again?”

“Sorry for what?” Xena ignored the presence of Mali. “Sorry that you’re the focus of my life? Don’t be.” She half smiled. “Maybe we can go see the big pussy later. We’ll see.” She pushed herself upright and went to the balcony, leaning her hands on it and looking out.

Gabrielle turned her head to keep her in sight. She was warm, and mostly comfortable, and though her head still ached and her stomach was unsettled, she was glad to be where she was. “Hey Xena?”

“Hey Gabrielle?” Xena glanced back over her shoulder.

“What was this place?”

The queen turned and leaned against the balcony. “This room?” She indicated the small alcove. “I think I remember someone telling me that some old bastard that used to run the place lost a leg and was too embarrassed to show up in the hall but liked to watch the dancing.”

“Your Majesty?” Mali spoke up timidly. “Is it the old king’s father you speak of?” She said. “Radulph the Bold?”

Xena’s pale eyes turned to her, and she studied her consort’s body slave for a long moment. “You know something about him?”

“Only what we.. what I would hear down in the slaves quarters.” Mali said. “They were talking before, about how this place we’re in was someplace he would go to.”

“Uh huh.” Xena folded her arms. “And”

Mali looked apprehensive. “That he was missing a leg, that is true, but also that he.. “ She glanced at Gabrielle. “He lost it in fighting a dragon!”

“Really?” Gabrielle said. “A dragon?” She brightened. “I’ve heard stories of those.”

Xena’s eyebrow hiked up.

“A dragon, your grace!” Mali said earnestly. “And I heard.. he would stay up here because the dragon bit him in the face and it looked so horrible he didn’t want anyone to see him.”

“Wow.” Gabrielle immediately felt herself attracted to the story, her mind splurting up thoughts and images and questions about what that would have been like. “That’s so sad, isn’t it Xena?”

Xena had meandered back over to lean on the back of Gabrielle’s chair again. She tried to remember what she’d heard about the old man of the bastard she’d killed and she realized there wasn’t much. They’d talked about the son, the guy she’d offed, but not so much about his predecessor. “If it happened.” She responded.

“Everyone knows the story, your Majesty.” Mali said.

“They do, huh?” The queen studied her. “Funny I never heard it before.”

“I don’t know, your Majesty.” Mali responded. “I remember hearing it since I was small.”

Now that was interesting. Xena looked at the kid for probably the first time, at least since she’d scoured her background before she’d let her spend time in Gabrielle’s presence. She was open and apparently honest, not the brightest of girls but not an idiot either.

“Is there someone who knows the whole story?” Gabrielle asked. “Can they come here and tell it to us? I’d love to hear it. I can’t hardly imagine a dragon. Have you see them, Xena?” She looked up at her lover. “I bet you could beat one up.”

“Nope.” Xena said. “But y’know something? I’d like to hear that story.” She focused on Mali. “So why don’t you go downstairs, and find some old geezer who can tell it to me, mkay?”

Mali looked nervous. “Everyone’s really busy.”

“Too busy to come up and talk to the queen?” Xena’s eyes widened in mock astonishment. “Unbelievable!”

The girl got up. “No, I’m... I’m sure they’ll be glad to come tell you.” She said. “Your grace, can I bring you something back?” She said. “Some tea?”

“Tea sounds good.” Gabrielle admitted. “I feel kinda yucky.”

Xena came around the side of the chair and knelt at her side. “Want to go back to the tower?” She asked putting a hand on Gabrielle’s cheek, then touching her forehead. “No fever at least.”

“I want to see the circus.” Gabrielle said. “I”m okay.” She tucked the blanket around her a little more. “Some berries, or sweetcake would be great.” And mild enough for her unhappy stomach, she reasoned, though even if that wasn’t true, she knew they wouldn’t go to waste if Xena was around.

“Bring the tea and the taleteller.” Xena ordered Mali. “I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Majesty.” Mali made her a neat curtsy then she pattered out the door, turning right and heading for the back staircase down to the center of the stronghold.

Xena waited a moment, then she went to the door herself and stuck her head out. “C’mere.” She beckoned one of her guard over.

“Mistress.” It was Brent. “What can I do to serve you?”

“Go down to the merchant hall.” Xena said. “Get me a bunch of whatever goodies they have down there. Cakes or whatever.”

“Of course.” Brent smiled tentatively. “It’s good to see the little one about.”

Xena gave him a long look, then, she smiled back. “Yeah.”

He turned and went for the stairs, trotting down them out of her sight before she could say any more.

Good man, Brent. Xena pulled her head back inside and went over to Gabrielle’s chair, taking a seat herself on a padded stool next to it. She extended her legs out and crossed them at the ankles, resting her elbow on the chair arm.

Immediately, she felt her arm enveloped by warmth, and she glanced to the side to see Gabrielle’s hands wrapped around it as her consort shifted a little and rested her cheek against her shoulder. “You okay?” She asked, feeling more than a little anxious.

“Now I”m perfect” Gabrielle said, snuggling closer. “I”m okay. I just feel kind of ratty all over. Things hurt.” She said. “My backs sore, and my head.”

Xena sighed. “I can’t give you pain herbs.” She said. “I’m afraid you’re head’s still rattled.”

“Ugh.”

“Sorry, honey.” Xena paused, and made a face. “Where in Hades is all this damn gush coming from?” She inquired in an aggrieved tone. “I”m starting to sound like an old grandmother.”

“I love you.” Gabrielle stroked the queen’s arm. “Just being here next to you makes me feel better. I don’t care if you do sound like a grandmother.”

Xena made a low, grunting noise.

“Do you think the bad guys will come up here?” Gabrielle asked, in a whisper.

“I don’t think so.” Xena whispered back. “I’ve got too many soldiers out there.”

THere were, Gabrielle knew. Probably two dozen at least, in the small hallway with guards on both ends, and at the bottom of the only steps that led up to where they were. Plus, of course, Xena herself was here with her, the queen’s sword and chakram leaning against the stool she was sitting on.

So it felt pretty safe. Gabrielle turned her attention to the hall, seeing the circus people starting to move out into position. She was glad she was here. She figured the acrobats and the animals would take her mind off her aches and maybe, if she was lucky, she’d get some honeycake to settle her stomach.

She watched the horses come out, feeling Xena shift next to her, craning her neck to watch. She shifted her hands, tucking her fingers around the queen’s arm and let herself become absorbed with the show. “Oh look, Xena. They didn’t do that the other time, did they?”

Xena felt her eyes widen, as she watched the two men standing up on the backs of their horses, swordfighting with each other. “No... I would have remembered that.” She said. “I think.”

A soft knock came at the door. Xena reached out and took hold of her chakram, then cleared her throat. “C’mon in.” She called out, half turning to watch the door open, yet leaving her arm in Gabrielle’s grip.

The big, heavy wooden door opened, and Brent poked his head in. “Mistress?” He called out cautiously. “It’s Brent.”

“Ah, how well he knows me.” Xena chuckled briefly. “You’re safe.” She released the chakram as he entered and brought a basket over. “Whatdj’a find?”

Brent crouched down next to her. “Mess of stuff.”

Gabrielle craned her head a little to see what the stuff was. She wasn’t exactly hungry, but she could smell some sweet, rich scents coming from the basket that was getting her interested. She glanced back at the show, then back at the basket, only to have something touched to her lips. “Oh.”

It smelled of honey and apple, and she closed her teeth on it and chewed. “That’s really good.” She swallowed and turned her attention fully to what her lover was sorting through. “Is there more?”

“Ahh.” Xena looked delighted. “There sure is.” She removed a slice of the confection and handed it over. “Glad you want some.”

Gabrielle did. She settled back in her chair and broke off a piece of the cake, watching the horses dance between two poles down on the floor.

“Have some late harvest cider, Mistress.” Brent said. “Good tasting.”

“Did you drink some?” Xena chuckled.

“Ate all of what’s in the basket, mistress.” Brent said, in a casual tone. “S’what took me so long.”

Xena paused and studied him. “Thanks Brent.” She said, after a bit of silence. “I appreciate that. Not so much for my sake.”

“No, mistress.” Brent smiled. “I saw you have some of that apple cake first.”

Gabrielle looked at Xena, then at Brent, and both of them smiled a particular, half embarrassed smile back at her. “Well.” She said. “I guess I’m eating the most of it then cause of something happens I want to be involved.”

Brent handed her a cup of cider. “Would be the honor of my life to share a fate of yours, Gabrielle.”

“Hey. What about me?” Xena felt a sense of giddiness that had nothing to do with the cider, or the situation, as she watched her consort take a sip of the drink and noted the alertness starting to come back into Gabrielle’s expression. Though it had been good to have her here, and watching the show, there had been a layer of glassiness to her eyes that put the queen’s guts churning.

Now that was fading. Xena had brought her up here and hoped the circus would help, but she’d take her wins however she could get them. “Ah.” She drew her hand out of the basket. “Honey balls.”

“Yeah?” Gabrielle was finishing the cake. “The messy kind?”

Xena held up a thumb covered in honey, not expecting Gabrielle to lean right over and suck on it. “Hey!”

“Mm.” Gabrielle leaned her head against Xena’s shoulder and savored the rich taste.

Brent chuckled.

Xena let her own head rest against Gabrielle’s and closed her eyes briefly, unable to put aside the poignantly horrific reminder of what she’d almost lost, her breathing coming short and rough for a moment.

“Xena?” Gabrielle murmured into her ear. “What’s wrong? Did I bite you?”

The queen exhaled. “Sorry.” She let her eyes blink open. “Go ahead, bite me again.” She fished in the basket, and came up with one of the goopy treats. “Here.”

She glanced at Gabrielle, then immediately regretted it when she saw those pale eyes at very close quarters, full of worry and concern.

For her.

Xena could feel the caring and her heart clenched. What would she have done, if she’d lost this? A faint roaring started in her ears. If she’d been sitting here, all alone?

A soft knock came at the door. Brent stood up and went to answer it, drawing his sword and holding it behind his thigh as he blocked the portal with one boot while opening it.

“Are you okay?” Gabrielle asked.

Was she? Xena felt her body relax a little. “Yeah.” She said. “Haven’t gotten over you scaring the socks off me.” She reached up and rubbed her chest, which was full of a twinging pain. “Maybe I need some of that cider.”

Gabrielle brought her cup over and held it to her lover’s lips, watching her profile as she took a mouthful of it. She released the cup as Xena took hold of it, and gently smoothed the hair back from her face, tucking it behind her ear. She waited until the color came back into the queen’s face, then she broke the honey ball in half, and offered a portion to her. “Here.”

“Aren’t I supposed to be fawning over you?”

“Your grace?” Mali appeared on her other side, with a tray. “Here’s some tea for you... uh.. and her Majesty.” She put the tray down. “The cook said he would come up if your Majesty wishes, and tell the story about the old king.”

Xena straightened up. “Yeah?” She collected herself with an effort. “Great.”

“Thanks Mali.” Gabrielle leaned back against the back of her chair again, keeping her hand tucked around Xena’s arm. “That would be great if he could do that after the circus. Right Xena?”

“Sure.”

“Shall I tell him that, your Grace?” Mali looked uneasily at the queen’s still face.

Gabrielle waited, then she nodded. “Could you please? I know we’d love to hear it.”

Mali curtsied, and left.

“Oh, Xena, look.” Gabrielle gently nudged her. “Look at the horses.” She indicated the floor, where six of the animals were trotted in a circle in unison, while the riders walked across their backs. “Isn’t that amazing?”

After a moment, Xena lifted her eyes and peered across the room. She felt Gabrielle’s fingers gently stroking her skin, and finally the gray haze lifted. The sound of the room flooded into her ears, and she could appreciate the skill of the riders. “That’s pretty damn good.”

Gabrielle relaxed. “How do they do that? Make the horses go like that?”

“Practice, like anything else.” Xena got her scattered wits collected and offered up another honey ball. “They probably train them inside a small corral.” She took a ball herself and bit into it, chewing the pastry thoughtfully. “Sorry if I freaked you out.”

“It’s okay.” Gabrielle took a little more of the cider. “I know you must have been really upset, Xena. I sort of could feel that.”

“Could you?” Xena found a pear in the basket, and took a bite of it. “Yeah, well, I was.” She bit off a chunk and handed it over. “Anyway, let’s try to forget that.” She looked out at the circus. “Here come your little buddies.”

Gabrielle took the piece of pear and nibbled it. The acrobats were scaling their tower, and she could sense the excitement of the crowd. She watched them get to the top, and one of them, Zak, she thought, got onto his ropes and started swinging.

After a moment, she looked at Xena, really unsurprised to find Xena looking at her. She remained that way, in silence, then as if by common consent they leaned towards each other and kissed.

Then, finally, when they took a break and backed off to regard each other, Xena smiled. “Thanks.”

Gabrielle smiled back. Then she let her gaze return to the acrobats, content to watch them as she felt Xena’s arm slip around her shoulders. It felt warm and good, and grounding in this odd and strange atmosphere she found herself in.

What would happen? Where were the bad guys? Were they out there, in the hall, watching them?

Were the bad guys here, really part of what she’d heard in the gray place?

She watched Zak reach his hands out, and catch his brother, who was spinning through the air, fearless of the drop to the ground, trusting the grab completely.

Everyone was amazed. The crowd roared. Gabrielle could see the wide eyes, and pointing fingers and... “Xena?”

“Hm?”

“Look down there, behind that wooden box. See the guy there?” She pointed, herself. “See him? He’s wearing those slippers, Xena, the ones you made me p..” She stopped speaking, as a flicker of motion to her right turned into a powerful surge, as Xena picked up her chakram and released it in an impossibly fast backhanded move.

Not even the space of a heartbeat.

**

No thought, no planning, just the savage power of a weapon thrown by a strong hand, backed with an intense passion. The chakram slashed through the acrobat’s structure, skimming Zak’s leg by a hair and squeezing between one of the grooms and one of the horses to bury itself into a man’s skull with a hard, cracking sound.

Blood flew everywhere. Bone flew everywhere.

The fiddler stopped abruptly, and a woman screamed, then everyone panicked, the players running away from the falling body and the acrobats swarming down their ropes. The audience reacted, getting up and scrambling away from the stage, stampeding through each other heedlessly.

“Huh.” Xena brushed her hands off and stood up. “Be right back. Brent, watch her please.”

“With my life, mistress.” Brent answered quietly.

Xena put her hands on the balcony and vaulted over it, disappearing into space as Gabrielle made a grab for her leg. “Xena!” Her consort yelled. “Hey! Wait!”

She and Brent both put their hands on the wall and looked over as Xena landed on the top platform of seats, scattering people right and left as she powered her way towards the stage.

“Brent, we should go help her.” Gabrielle said. “The bad guys could hurt her in all that mess.” She watched anxiously as her lover got to the performance area.

“Be easy, your grace.” Brent said. “My partner’s down there. He’ll watch out for her.” He pointed at the entrance, where a flood of men in Xena’s black and yellow were pouring. “And some of the boys, as well.”

That didn’t make Gabrielle feel any better. She could see Xena’s tall form in a swarm of bodies now, Brendan shoving his way up next to her but she could sense the danger in the room and it almost made her ignore the sound of the door opening behind her.

Almost.

Brent didn’t ignore it. He came up from his crouch, drawing his sword and circling the chairs and in the next second, the balcony was filled with struggling forms as he got between the door and Gabrielle’s chair and faced off against two black clad figures with curved blades and hooded faces.

Gabrielle felt a cold wash of fear come over her and she got up, holding onto the chair for balance to see what was going on. She spotted Brent fighting with two figures in the shadows and she let out a yell of alarm as one of them dodged his grab and came at her.

The other man engaged Brent furiously, trapping him between the chair and wall with a flurry of sword strokes and Gabrielle realized in a blink she was in some real trouble.

Without really thinking she reached for the spear Brent had left leaning against the wall and pulled it to her, getting it up and into position just as the dark figure reached her and swung his scimtar right at her, aiming for her neck.

The spear? Useless, mostly. Despite Xena’s long and patient training, she had no more real idea of how to use the big stick than she had on the very first day she’d been given it. Not really. When they trained together, she sometimes did things right with it but more often Xena would just laugh and shake her head and go off to do something a lot harder.

But here she was, here it was, here was this guy coming towards her with a knife.

No time to think. No time to plan. She felt her body react as the figure’s arm swept towards her with the glitter of a blade, and the next thing she felt was the odd shock as wood hit steel and the blade flashed past her as she turned and whacked the other end of the spear against the shrouded head of her attacker.

Much to her surprise, the figure stumbled to one side and then the butt end of her spear swept out and pulled it’s legs out from under it and her adversary was upended and sailed through the air, smacking it’s head against the wall.

In an instant, Brent was on it, another flash of steel his dagger going home into the black clad figure, letting out a bellow of triumph just as the light from the outer room was blocked out by another dark figure swarming up over the wall.

Another enemy? Gabrielle started to turn and then that feeling washed over her, that sense of presence, and familiarity that she knew so well and her body relaxed.

No bad guy. She was safe.

“Gabrielle!” Xena’s yell easily overpowered Brents, as the queen vaulted into the room and drew her sword, circling it as her head whipped back and forth, searching for her consort. “Gabrielle!”

“Here!” Gabrielle managed to blurt, her brow creasing at the figure on the floor. “I’m okay!”

“It’s all right, mistress!” Brent panted. “Two of em! Barstards! But I got one and her grace got the other.”

Xena had circled the chair and was intaking a deep breath to continue yelling when she stopped. “What?” She asked, in a more normal tone. “She what?”

Brent straightened up. “Got that one.” He pointed his blood covered dagger at the slumped figure behind him. “And her grace took out this un. I just finished the job.” He pointed at the other body. “Was out already, head cracked like.”

Xena looked at the form, then at her consort, who was leaning back against the wall, the spear clutched in both hands. “You did that?” She asked, in a quizzical tone.

Gabrielle felt little shivers going up and down her arms and legs, as her heartbeat slowed. “I think so.”

Brent went over to the door and yanked it open. “Where the Hades are the guard, you bastards!”

Xena sheathed her sword and went over to where Gabrielle was standing. “Divide and conquer.” She said, dourly. ‘They all ran down to try and save my hoary old ass when I jumped out the window like an idiot.” She put her hand on her consort’s shoulder. “Are you all right?”

Gabrielle had put the butt of the spear down on the ground and was leaning on it. “Sort of dizzy.” She admitted.

Xena got her back to her seat, after carefully extracting the spear from her hands and leaning it against the wall. She tucked the blanket back around her, ignoring everything else in the room including Brendan bustling inside and the sound of the troops arriving back at the door.

“Got that body secured, Xena.” Brendan said. “Scared the living out of them little circus boys, ye did. And this here.” He held up the chakram. “Didn’t want no one touching it.”

“Thanks.” Xena took the weapon and inspected it. “Nailed that sucker.” She said. “Thanks, Gabrielle. You spotted him right before the little son of a bitch was about to cut those ropes.”

Gabrielle inhaled sharply. “Really?”

“Really.” Xena was still kneeling next to her. Now she put a hand on Gabrielle’s knee. “You saved those kid’s lives, my love. Really.” She rubbed the skin under the blanket. “He wasn’t expecting anyone to be up here. You could only see him from this angle, and you did.”

Brendan and Brent were kneeling together by the bodies, stripping off their robes. “Here, Xena.” Brendan said. “Same as the one below. House livery.”

Xena looked past the chair. “Damn it.”

Gabrielle turned around and looked, seeing familiar colors on the body. “Who is it?”

“One of the kitchen help.” Brent answered, briefly. “I don’t understand it.”

“And the other?” Xena was still crouching down next to Gabrielle. “The one Gabrielle clobbered?”

Brent went over and pulled the hood off. He studied the man’s face for a minute, then snorted. “Westlander.” He said. “Brendan, what about the one down there?”

“That one was a stranger.” Xena replied. “At least, neither of us knew him.”

They all exhaled at roughly the same time. “Feels good to get a blade on em.” Brent said. “No more phantoms. Frontal work. I like this.”

“Aye.” Brendan agreed. “Got bold, or maybe figured they’d be flushed.”

“Hm.” Xena grunted. “In general, I just like killing people.” She remarked. “But it was damn good to kill that one.” She glanced at Gabrielle. “So.”

“So.” Gabrielle felt exhausted from the effort.

Brendan went to the opening and looked out. The crowd was milling nervously, looking up at the balcony as the circus group huddled together on the stage. He lifted his hand and moved his fist in a circle, and Xena’s soldiers still on the floor started directing people back to the seats. “All’s done.” He called out. “Garbage to the middens.”

Immediately, the sound of the crowd increased, as voices rose and the guests started reluctantly straggling back to their seats.

“So. Tell me about this fight of yours.” Xena said, resting her arms on Gabrielle’s thighs. “Did that guy come after you?”

Gabrielle nodded.

“And?”

And? Gabrielle felt her limbs stop shaking and she let her head rest back against the chair. “And... I don’t know, Xena. I just picked up that spear and I guess.... I guess all the stuff you taught me just bubbled up.”

Xena studied her. “Bubbled up?”

“I just did it.” Her consort explained, somewhat helplessly. “I don’t know.”

The queen smiled at her. “That’s just the right answer, my friend. How much thinking do you think I did before I sent this deadly dinner plate out there?” She held up the chakram. “I wont’ keep ya in suspense. None.”

“None.” Gabrielle murmured.

“None.” Xena repeated. “My eyes saw the guy, my ears heard what you said, my hand reacted. There was no decision making involved. I trusted my instincts.” She put the chakram down and put her hand back on Gabrielle’s leg. “If you just swung that stick in the right place at the right time and have no clue how ya did it... you just made me the happiest homicidal maniac in the realm.”

“Uh.” Gabrielle covered Xena’s hands with her own. “Okay. I guess I’m glad.” She said. “So.. did we get all the bad guys? Are we okay now.. oh.” She watched Xena shake her head. “Guess it couldn’t really be that easy, huh?”

A timid knock came at the door, and Brendan crossed quickly over to answer it. He opened the door with Brent slipping in behind him, sword raised. “Ah.” Brendan took a step back, but only a step. “Mistress, tiss her Grace’s servant.”

“Does she have a cook with her?” Xena asked. “From our kitchen?”

“Aye.” Brendan sounded surprised.

“Let em in.” Xena got up and then settled herself on the chair arm, holding the chakram in one hand, still spattered and stained with blood and hair. “Let’s see what story the old man has to tell.”

Brendan and Brent stepped back and let Mali enter. Her eyes were huge and filled with fear, and she stared at the bodies on the floor before she looked up at Xena. “Your Majesty.”

“That’d be me.” Xena was in a much better humor now. She twirled the chakram on one finger, sending bits of dead skin flying in all directions.

Gabrielle grimaced. “Xena.”

“What?” The queen looked down at her.

“That’s gross.”

Xena took a breath, then studied the weapon, and hastily brushed some debris off her consorts shoulder. “Sorry about that.”

Behind Mali was a heavy shouldered, thickly bearded man. He stood silently, not looking at the floor, or at the queen. His expression was a mixture of resentment and wariness that immediately drew Xena’s attention.

She got up off the chair arm and approached him. “Well well.” She studied him. “I hear you’ve got a story to tell us.”

“Not one you’s want to hear.” The man muttered, keeping his gaze on the floor.

“You’d be surprised.” Xena seated herself on one of the stools, and motioned him to take the other. “Don’t worry about the mess here.” She rested her elbows on her knees. “Start talking.”

Mali scurried around to the other side of Gabrielle’s chair and crouched next to her. “Oh, your grace! What happened!!!” She whispered. “What happened to Gilford? Why is he here?”

“Well.” Gabrielle was torn between wanting to listen to the story, and comforting her scared servant. “He came in here and started fighting with Brent. He tried to hurt us.”

Mali’s eyes grew even wider. “Gilford?”

Gabrielle nodded. “And the other guy was one of Philtop’s people.” She watched Mali’s face as her eyes went to the body on the floor. “So it seems whatever is going in, involves people we know.” She waited, as the girl’s head turned again and their eyes met. “Do you know what it’s about, Mali?” She lowered her voice. “If you do, you should say so.”

Mali stared at her.

“People can’t keep trying to hurt us.” Gabrielle said, in a gentle tone. “They’ll just keep getting hurt themselves, you know that, Mali.”

Behind them, the cook grudgingly started his story, his low, gravely voice rumbling and almost harsh. He paused, when Brent picked up the Westlander’s body and slung it over his shoulder, murmuring to Brendan as the older man opened the door for him.

“Your grace.” Mali whispered. “I can’t tell you.”

Gabrielle leaned forward. “You should.” She murmured back. “The Westlanders were from the last regime, the tunnels were, and you are too. Xena knows that.”

Mali turned pale. “I... your grace, I can’t tell because I don’t know!” She said. “They won’t tell us, not the younger ones.” She lowered her voice even further. “We’re all scared!”

“Hey.” Xena reached around the chair and touched Gabrielle’s arm. “Listen to this. This guy’s got no idea how to tell a story.” She got up and put her hands on the chair back. “Hang on.”

Gabrielle hastily grabbed the chair arms as she felt herself lifted up in the air and turned so she could see the cook. The man glowered at her and took a step back, watching warily as Xena came around and took her seat again. “G’wan.” SHe gestured at him.

Mali crept over to the corner, and sat down, edging away from the bloodstains on the stone floor. She pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around them, avoiding looking at either the cook, or Xena.

“Told you wasn’t much to tell.” The man said. “m’father was a cook in the old king’s kitchen. Used to keep us kids shut up with crazy stories.”

“About dragons?” Gabrielle asked. “Is that what the story was about, that the old king fought a dragon?”

The man shrugged. “Lost ‘is leg somewhat.” He said. “Face was all scarred up too.”

“I could do that.” Xena had finished cleaning her chakram, and set it onto it’s hook. “Doesn’t take a made up animal. Just a sword and a knife.”

The man shrugged again. “Was as we heard it.” He said. “Word was, the old king gave up his looks and all, to save the realm from the dragon. Seemed was a good sort.”

“Had a crappy son.” The queen commented.

The man stared at her.

“He did. The coward ran from me and hid in a pile of cow manure.” Xena said. “Wasn’t worth the chintzy gold crown around his neck.”

“Huh. You’re meaning that one.” The cook muttered. “Aye, probably.”

Xena cocked her head to one side. “So that’s all you’ve got to say, huh?” She watched him nod. “Okay, Brent, take him back downstairs. I’ve heard all I want to for tonight. Sounds like a bunch of crap anyway.”

“Aye, mistress.” Brent took the man by the arm.

“You.” Xena pointed at Mali. “Go finish sorting out Gabrielle’s rooms. I don’t want a single hairball or spider in there. Got me?”

“Majesty.” Mali got up and followed Brent and the cook out, as Brendan went with them, closing the door and bracing himself against it, his sword scraping against the wood on the other side.

Xena regarded her consort. “What do you think?”

Gabrielle shifted in her chair and slowly rocked her head from side to side. “I think my head feels better.” She said. “Xena, I think Mali knows something.”

“Oh really?” The queen gave her a very droll look.

“Really. I think her family maybe was here for a long time, and they know stuff.” Gabrielle missed the sarcasm. “I mean, look, there’s that guy from the kitchens,and th...” She stopped talking, as Xena’s long fingers very gently covered her mouth.

The queen slowly leaned forward until her mouth was right near Gabrielle’s ear. “I got it.” She whispered. “I figured out why Philtop showed up here, and why scumbags could somehow hide inside corners and cracks in my castle without me finding them.”

Gabrielle looked at her in question, since her lips were still covered.

“I figured out why someone’s going around the place telling people about some old king who fought dragons to save his people.” The queen went on. “I just never expected these stinking sheep to try and usurp me. My bad.” She released her consort’s mouth.

They looked at each other.

“Not everyone.” Gabrielle said, positively.

“No.” Xena agreed. “But the question is, do they have someone to put in my place.” She studied her hands thoughtfully . “More importantly, do I want to let them?”

“Let them?” Gabrielle leaned on the chair arm nearest her.

Xena slowly nodded. “There’s a plan here. Lot of people in on it. All those bastards hiding, someone had to be helping them.” She pointed at the floor. “Cooks from downstairs, and servants from Philtop’s lands.” She gazed somberly at her consort. “Maybe I should let them get away with it. You want to go off with me, Gabrielle? Go into exile?”

Gabrielle blinked. “Can we go on that boat?” She asked. “We could take Patches and Tiger, right? Some of the guys might want to go with us too, Xena. We could..” She stopped, her mouth covered again.

“Thanks for the answer.” Xena said. “Part of me wants to get mad and kick everyone’s ass over this. But part of me..” She exhaled a little. “Part of me wants to just run. Go see what’s out there.”

Her consort lifted her hand and gently moved the fingers blocking her speech. “Wherever you go, I go.” She said. “It doesn’t matter where it is.”

Xena smiled, then let her head drop, as she studied her now clasped hands. “I’ll hold you to that, Gabrielle.” She said. “Let’s just see what happens.”

**

Continued in Part 10






 

 


Return to Melissa Good's Fiction Page

Return to The Bard's Corner

Return to AUSXIP