Warlord Daze

by Katrina


The following is a bit of alternative fiction based on certain characters from the Xenaverse. It is not meant to infringe on anyone else's rights. If you don't agree or disapprove, please go read something else.

Xex Alert: Oh Boy Is There. .This is a Prurient Piece with a Bit of Kink (If you hear the crack of the whip then you'll be in the neighborhood) Proceed at your own risk. :)

Plot building ahead.

Remember, this is all meant in fun!


They left the tent exactly when Xena said she would. They'd both had a little time to cuddle and talk a bit, then clean up. Gabrielle was now dressed in her Amazonian garb and armed. She hooked the scroll pouch over her shoulder (it was a smaller bag than she was used to, but it held the necessary items to scribe with). Before leaving the tent Xena had walked around the "slave" making a personal assessment. She fingered the whip and looked thoughtful. Gabrielle kept her attention on the entry post. Then Xena stood in front of her and Gabrielle found herself conducting her own inspection. She had to admit, Xena looked good, but then she always looked good. The leathers were darker than what Gabrielle remembered them being, but they weren't the black of Xena's old warlord costume. The armor was almost, though not quite the same as what she wore on the road, and it made her look, if possible, even more regal. More beautiful. Gabrielle resisted the urge to touch, but Xena didn't.

She pulled the bard, carefully so as not to bruise the sweet woman against her armor, into her arms and held her close, smelling the woman's sweet hair, feeling the warmth of their bodies pressed together. Whatever came out of this experience, Xena felt like she'd been given the greatest gift. She only hoped that she could keep it. She whispered in the bard's ear and delighted in Gabrielle's unconscious shiver, "Remember, when we step out of the tent, I am the Warlord."

Gabrielle whispered back, taking her last opportunity to speak as an equal, "Yes, Xena, but you are MY warlord." The raven haired woman shuddered at the words, squeezed the bard a little more tightly than she'd originally intended and Gabrielle smiled to herself. They parted, some, and gazed at each other. Xena's mouth descended for one final kiss that lasted a heartbeat and an eternity. Then they parted for real.

Gabrielle watched in fascination and awe as Xena's warlord mask descended upon the woman's face. Xena smiled, but this time it was the grin of a predator. It was Gabrielle's turn.

Gabrielle was always Gabrielle no matter what, so her transformation was not quite as dramatic, though there were some differences. She stood up straighter, her eyes alert, her expression became impassive. She held the staff lightly in powerful hands and nodded her head. She was ready. Xena whisked around and faced her no more, simply expecting the woman to follow. They stepped out into the camp.

Eponin was ordered to accompany them and she and Gabrielle shared a glance (both of them blushing slightly) that mixed gratitude with understanding. The bard, now slave, had taken the time while dressing to think about what happened that morning, trying to come to terms with her reasons for her behavior. Her contemplations led her to realize that she'd really no choice in the matter. In the first case, when Eponin appeared, the only other result would have been Gabrielle's rush to stand up, still naked and face a little wet. She would have still been between Xena's legs and the meaning would still have been obvious. Face in or face out, it would still have resulted in the same amount of embarrassment. Xena had saved her from (a) having to look Eponin in the face and (b) a few extra calisthenics. As for Xena's behavior with Colchak, 40 counts might have been enough time to put on the robe and maybe scoot around the chair, but Gabrielle suspected the warlord might have felt justified about his intrusion and might later have felt free to enter the tent at any time. As it was, the way Xena handled it, the embarassment became Colchak's and the likelihood of his barging in just whenever had pretty much disappeared forever. In trying to dismantle the intricacies of the event, Gabrielle gained some insight into Xena's maneuverings and was impressed.

Maybe this thinking before speaking deal had some real advantages after all. If Xena was applying the same amount of quick thinking, mixed with foresight, hindsight and whatever else it was that was the magic elixer of the warrior's intelligence, then Colchak and Nisus had a few life lessons coming their way and Gabrielle could trust that whatever Xena was trying to accomplish had a valid reason. That however didn't mean she wouldn't excercise her own ability to think. In fact, she planned on having to do a lot of it.

Xena took them the long way around, introducing the bard and the Amazon to the layout of the camp. It was good sized, but not massive. Five hundred men total, not counting the various hangerons who were not "officially" part of the camp, but tended to congregate where men of battle did. The set up was okay, though Xena would have changed a few things if the army was her own. She had Gabrielle take down a few notes.

They arrived, later, at the empty command tent and Xena's "day of rest," became their day of work. Eponin was set to guard the tent, with orders to inform them if she spotted any others (specifically Colchak and Nisus) coming in their direction as soon as possible. Maps and other parchments were spread out for easy access and Xena began to plan. Gabrielle had already written up three scrolls worth of information and was starting to feel a knawing worry in the pit of her stomach. As she listened, and wrote, she gained the distinct impression that Xena intended to take over this army. Not only did she intend to take it over, she intended to use it. They were heading in the direction of Athens, but it looked like Xena planned on bypassing the citystate. The warlord planned on expanding the army and taking the it north.

Obviously Xena knew something Gabrielle didn't, but the warlord never said. Xena looked up from her mental perambulations and smiled a real smile at Gabrielle, who'd been dutifully recording each detail that Xena requested. She noted the worried look of her bard, but said nothing. Instead the warrior chose to believe Gabrielle would keep her word and wait to discuss what was bothering her. Gabrielle gave her a valiant smile in return and when Xena asked, kindly, for some scrolls she handed them over without a second thought. Their fingers touched for a brief sizzling moment and then Xena set to writing a few letters.

Eponin stepped into the tent. "Someone's coming." Xena nodded and started moving quickly. The maps were rolled, the parchements moved, scrolls were dumped into Gabrielle's bag. One letter was left out in full view. Xena sat down in a chair, settled her legs (crossed) over another chair and began casually reciting something to Gabrielle, who had already been sitting, though more attentively. The bard was writing something about faulty equipment and a death threat, when Colchak stepped in.

He was accompanied by two burly types, who were dragging a man in chains, and another who was carrying an obviously worn out child. Colchak didn't give a preamble. "Xena. It's your turn."

Xena looked up, turned to Gabrielle and said, "finish that with my usual." Gabrielle nodded and wrote something that she thought might sound appropriate, but she kept one ear open. Xena stood up and sounded bored. "What is it this time?"

Colchak snapped his fingers and the man in chains was pushed forward. "This man was caught stealing from the mess tent and harboring this in our camp," he waved at the child. Xena took a moment to look at the individual and realized that he was hardly a man, barely into his whiskers. DAMN, she thought.

"And you're telling me this why?" She folded her arms across her chest, her eyes narrowed.

"Xena, you've been avoiding your share of the punishment duty since getting here. Nisus and I are tired of it." Xena snorted inwardly at the lame argument. More likely it was just that Colchak could tell how young the man was and while needing to be cruel to keep the men in shape, he just didn't want to be the bad guy right now. He had a soft spot for young men. Make that, she observed, young and pretty men.

"Colchak, this isn't my army. I don't even have fifty men to my name. I'm here as a consultant." Colchak grimaced. Actually, she'd become much more than a consultant. Now she was a valuable player. Xena continued, "He's your problem." She turned away from the man.

Colchak looked a little funny, like he was strangling on some words. He glanced at the young man and Gabrielle, who'd finished writing, thought she saw a small look of terrified affection. She felt something was wrong with the scenario, but couldn't place it. Colchak's face turned unreadable. His eyes flashed. He practically marched up to Xena, "Xena," he whispered loudly. The female warlord turned around and faced him. He leaned forward and Gabrielle couldn't hear what he was saying.

Xena on the other hand heard every word. "Xena please." Was Colchak begging? She eyed the man in chains. There was more to this than Colchak was saying. "What will it take? I can't do this." Xena raised her brows at the warlord's admission. Why was he revealing himself this way and to her? His voice was urgent, "I'll make you a deal. A full partnership. One hundred men. Double your payment." For this young kid? Xena remained silent, then, counting her blessings made a counter offer.

"One hundred fifty, triple and he's one of them." Colchak didn't even flinch, but nodded. Either Colchak had it real bad, or else he was the kid's father, but why he was shirking this, she didn't know. If it had been her. . .but it wasn't. She didn't hesitate, but held out her hand. "Done." And easy as that, part of her goal was already met.

She sidestepped the warlord who was still trying to look tough and made her way to the young Man in chains. Her expression was harsh, her voice nipped the air. "What's your name?"

The man didn't try to even stall, "Darvin."

Xena lifted him up by the collar, her face almost but not quite in smile. Gabrielle didn't think she'd ever seen the warlord act scarier. "Well Darvin, stealing from the camp is not allowed. Did you know that?" The young man nodded, unable to avoid her gaze. He was scared spitless. He knew what the punishment was and had seen it carried out by Colchak's punishers. They treated a body like it was just so much meat. He didn't expect to survive. Xena continued ferally, "Lucky you," Xena hazarded a guess, "You're daddy's made a deal. You've just joined my army." She gave him a shake that wobbled his whole body, "But, you'll be punished just the same. Your one act of thievery could inspire others and *I* won't have chaos in the ranks." She gave him another toothrattling shake, "You understand." He nodded, his heart pounding in his chest. "Good," the warrior princess said firmly.

Xena had a clue as to why Colchak asked her to do this. He was ruthless. His punishers were a vicious bunch. Xena guessed he'd forgotten that *she* had been even more ruthless. Yet, this deal held a hidden request. Colchak didn't want his punishers near the boy. Her mind worked furiously. It was important that discipline be maintained. It was important that she seem heartless, but it was also important that the boy not be mutilated. Her gaze fell on Gabrielle and their eyes met.

Xena made a decision and her heart screamed.


6 | 7 | 9


ŠAugust 1997

>

6 | 7 | 9


ŠAugust 1997