Xena the Merciless feels like her world is finally settling down into something she might even start to enjoy. The summer harvest was good, people are showing up for her Harvest Festival, and Gabrielle has some storytelling to a Persian prisoner for some tips on massage. The only clouds on her horizon besides the usual winter storms was that message she sent to the King of Persia along with his daughter's head. What, really, could go wrong?


A Queen for all Seasons

by Melissa Good

Part 1

Late afternoon sunlight poured down on the golden stubble of newly reaped fields as the stalks wiggled and parted at the passage of some large beast.

Well.  Not really a large beast.   Patches the Pony  thundered through the field, his shaggy coat ruffling in the wind as his rider urged him to go faster.

“C’mon, Patches!”   Gabrielle squinted into the wind, leaning down over the pony’s neck and tightening her knees.   “I know you can do it!”

Patches snorted, but amiably picked up speed, his small hooves kicking up wisps of forgotten grain as they bolted across the field.

“C’mon, c’mon.” Gabrielle glanced behind her as she heard the sounds of hoofbeats behind them. “Oh my gosh, Patches, hurry!”   She put her hands on either side of Patches neck and urged him forward, hearing a wicked laugh behind her. “Hurry!!!”

Patches ears flicked backward, then forward as he stretched out and really began to run, covering the ground in a surprisingly short amount of time as the horse chasing them closed in.   

This one was a really large beast, and his strides covered twice as much ground as the pony’s. In seconds he was catching up and his rider let out another wicked laugh as she wiggled the fingers on the hand closest to her quarry. “Gonna getcha!!!”

“Gerrrrr!” Gabrielle ducked, Patches swerved, and the chasing stallion hauled up with startling abruptness so as not to crash into him. 

“Hey!”  Xena let out a yell as she was almost unhorsed.  “Cut that out you damn bastard!” She got the stallion straightened out and bolted after the charging pony.  “Get back here!”

“Never count your fish before you’re eating them!” Gabrielle called back, as they gained the road and passed the outer gate a pony whisker ahead of  Tiger’s frothing nose. “Ha!!! We won!”

“You little stinker! Wait till I get my hands on you!”  Xena laughed. “Stop teaching that damn runt tricks!”

The two animals slowed to a canter, as they rode up the long approach to the city walls, now lined with market stalls and merchants, all of whom were goggling at them.

As well they might.  The tall black warhorse and the short, sturdy pony were striking together all by themselves, but their riders drew the attention, since everyone watching surely recognized the queen of the realm, Xena the Merciless, and her consort on the animal’s backs.

Distinctively tall, dressed in well broken in leathers and with her dark hair caught back in a tail, Xena sat in her saddle with the complete comfort of a lifelong rider. Behind her right shoulder, the hilt of a longsword was visible and peeking over the tops of both riding boots were daggers whose handles were worn smooth with use.

Gabrielle, in comparison, was wearing a blue overshirt with a hood pushed back from her pale hair and darker blue leather leggings with nothing to defend herself with except for a big sack full of apples and a sling looped casually through her belt.

Merchants along the road hastily bowed to them, relieved at the relaxed wave of Xena’s hand as she passed.

“What a great day.”  Gabrielle sighed happily.  “I can’t believe we found so many of those apples still hanging, can you?”  She straightened a little in the saddle, letting one hand rest on her thigh, one thumb lightly tapping the leather surface of her riding breeches.

“What? Oh. Right.”  Xena glanced at her companion, giving up her examination of the gathering merchants.   “You are, of course, going to make those honey and nut things of yours right?”

Gabrielle looked over at her. “Maybe.” Her green eyes twinkled.

“Maybe?” The queen affected an outraged tone.   She dusted a bit of grain chaff off the sleek black leather armor she was wearing.  “Maybe????”

Gabrielle produced a sweetly endearing grin.   “Of course I am.” She said. “I know you like them. That’s why I was glad we found the apples.”

“Hah.”

“This is going to be a great Harvest festival, isn’t it?” Gabrielle reviewed the rows and rows of merchants now setting up just outside the stronghold’s gates.  “Wow.. you see those carved wooden birds?”

“I can do better.” Xena observed. “How about I carve a miniature you complete with my bite marks on your..”

“Xena.”  Gabrielle reached over and patted her calf. “How about you do one of Patches? That would be a lot cuter.”

Xena chuckled.  She noted the heavy traffic of attendees at the festival with a sense of satisfaction, however.   “Better than last year.” She commented.  Word of her defeat of the Persians earlier in the year had spread far and wide, and she saw merchants in the lines from equally far and wide.

New stuff.  Xena wasn’t a fan of shopping at any time, but there were strange scents rising in the air, hints of things from far away and places she hadn’t been to.    The stretch of road in front of the gates was packed with wagons, and rows had started spreading out to either side, with campsites on the outside full of travelers.

They all turned, warned by the men closer to the road, to stare at her as she passed and she slowed Tiger to an amble to give them all a good look.

It had been a quiet summer.  Her nobles had meekly retired to their lands to plant and harvest,  peace had settled over her stronghold and from all the reports she’d gotten, it had turned out to be a productive year.

An envoy had gone off to deliver a message to the king of Persia, to see if he wanted his soldiers back.  Those men had accepted their imprisonment – treated well enough for enemy soldiers and put to work by her own men in rebuilding some parts of the stronghold that had fallen into disrepair over the years.

They were fed as well as her slaves here, and they had a warm place to sleep and over the months much of their Persian pride had softened as they adjusted to their new condition.   Xena’s men showed them the respect due honored enemies, and they were, to the extent they could be, content for now.

Would the Persian monarch send money or men to kill her?  Xena pondered the question, not entirely sure which she would prefer.  The money would be nice, but the challenge might be nicer, and she was, she knew, a bit twisted that way.

“I heard Duke Lastay’s wife had her baby.” Gabrielle said. “Are we sending them a present?”

“A present?”  Xena turned her attention to her consort.  “Why in Hades should I send them a present for successful screwing?”

“Xena.”

“I mean, c’mon, squirt.  If I sent a present to every damn person who popped a kid out, I’d be living in the stable with Tiger here and you’d be busking for a living.”

“But he’s your heir.”  Gabrielle gently protested. “And after all, you saved his lady and all that.”

Xena rolled her eyes. 

“Well, you did.”

“What do you think we should send them?” Xena humored her, as they approached the gates and the huge portals swung open as the guards noted her approach.  “Dead pig?”

“Xena.”

“Look, I’m not good at presents.”

Gabrielle peered up at her. “You always give me lots of nice presents.”

Xena took a breath, then released it, narrowing her eyes.

“How about something like that?” Gabrielle distracted her, pointing at a nearby stall just inside the gates. Here, the more prosperous merchants had been given stalls, and those who made the stronghold their home.   “That cradle there.”

Xena drew Tiger to an abrupt halt, and slid off his back, catching sight of one of her grooms bolting towards her to take the stallion’s reins.  “G’wan and clean him up and give him a feed.” She told the groom. “And the runt.” 

Gabrielle had gotten off Patches back in a somewhat more decorous, though less agile manner.   “Good boy, Patches.” She gave him a hug. “I knew you could beat Tiger if you put your mind to it.”

The pony shook his head, and Tiger arched his neck and nibbled a bit of Gabrielle’s hair as the groom took possession of his reins.  Gabrielle checked to see if Xena was watching, then she gave the big black horse a kiss on the nose. “You’re a good boy too.”

“Gggaaabriellle.”  The queen was standing nearby, her hands perched on her hips. “This was your idea, remember?”

“C… heading right over.”  Gabrielle ducked under Tigers neck and trotted over to the queen, slinging her bag of apples over her shoulder.

They approached the merchant stall, as the owner nervously washed his hands together.   “Your majesty, your grace.” He bobbed his head in anxious obeisance.  “What is your pleasure?”

“She is.” Xena strolled around the stand, observing the wooden cradles, painstakingly carved.  “You really think he wants one of these?” She asked Gabrielle in a skeptical tone. “Y’know, I’m pretty sure he’s got one already.”   She rocked one of the items with a finger.  “Wouldn’t he?”

“Hm.” Gabrielle studied the cradle.  Would the Duke?  “You’re right.”  She finally admitted. “He probably thought of that, huh?”

“Can I help your majesties?” The merchant asked, timidly. “Perhaps I can suggest?” He looked from one to the other. “You seek something for an infant? Or for yours.…”  His voice trailed off as Xena pinned him with her ice blue eyes.

Gabrielle gently intervened. “The royal heir, Duke Lastay’s wife just had a baby.” She explained. “So Xena and I were looking for a present for her.”

Xena snorted and wandered off. “I’ll be over at that armor maker’s tent.” She pointed. “A dagger’ll do him better.”

The merchant anxiously watched her leave. “I did not mean to anger her Majesty.” He whispered.

Gabrielle patted his arm. “Don’t worry. She’s not mad.”  She reviewed the cradles. “She just has no idea about this stuff and to be honest, neither do I.”    Her nose wrinkled up into a frank grin.  “So what do you think? What would be good for a present for a new mother?”

The merchant relaxed a little, though he kept an eye on Xena’s tall form nearby.  “Well, m’lady.” He said.  “Surely a cradle would do, but as her majesty said, I would think the duke had gotten him one before now. What about.. “ He peered down the row. “Ah, perhaps a blanket for the babe.”

He turned. “Brachus, stay here and mind the stall.” He ordered a young boy hovering behind him. “While I assist her grace here.”

“Yes Da.”  The boy gave Gabrielle a shy smile.

Gabrielle followed the merchant towards the weaver’s stall, taking a deep breath of the cool air filled with woodsmoke on it’s fringes.  In the stronghold, she knew the big kitchen fires would be going, and the slaves would be busy getting ready to serve dinner.

The inner courtyard had taken on the appearance of a fair, as it was filled with both hometown vendors and visitors from all around the countryside.  She could see exotic things tugging her attention already,  a flash of silver jewelry here, the hint of sun on beautifully worked copper plate there.

She had dinars in her belt pouch.   She also knew she really didn’t have to use them, as anyone in the stronghold would hand over whatever it was she wished because of who she was.

Or more accurately, what she was.    

They stopped at the weavers and the cradle merchant eagerly engaged the old, stoop backed craftsman as he indicated a beautiful woven blanket draped over the support of the stall.

Gabrielle touched it, finding it incredibly soft. It was a pretty color, a mix between red and blue and tightly woven. “This is really nice.”

“Thank you, y’grace.” The weaver said, gruffly.  “Would be nice for a babe.  Cold weather comin on.”  He glanced up at the ceiling. “Going to be a rough winter season.”

Gabrielle felt the fabric between her thumb and fingers. “Sheep bearing heavy coats this year?”  She met his eyes. 

His eyebrows arched up in surprise. “Ay, y’grace.” He said.  “Y’heard then?”

“I remember.”  Gabrielle shook her head a little, but smiled. “How much?” She turned her attention to the bargaining at hand.   “Let’s not take too long though, I think Xena’s getting impatient.”

Xena examined a strip of leather, keeping one blue eyeball on her companion as she moved from one stall to the other and started dickering. 

“May I gift that to you, your majesty?” The tanner bowed.  “We had a fine year this year. Good hides.”

The queen flipped the leather over and ran knowledgable fingers over it.  It was supple and there were no marks on it, and it was stained a rich, golden color.     “Seems like everyone’ s had a good season.” She glanced around.

The tanner nodded immediately. “Was a good year. Been hearing that a lot.”  He cleared his throat.  “Plenty of outsiders showed up down t’road.”

“Mm.” Xena glanced furtively over to where her consort was concluding her bargain. “Can you carve my crest in this, make a belt of it?” She asked.  “All around, like this.” She traced a design on the leather.

“Surely.” The tanner took the end of it. “In black, your majesty?  So’s it your colors?”

Xena nodded, edging over to block Gabrielle’s view. “Yeah.  Here.” She handed over a gold coin. “just keep quiet about it, okay?”

“Your majesty?”  The tanner’s eyes bulged out at the coin resting in his hand. “But .. this is far too..” He clamped his jaws shut as a dagger tickled his nose.

“Just shut up and do it.” Xena whispered. “Have someone bring it in to me.  Right?”

He nodded cautiously.

“Right.” Xena straightened and turned,  strolling off to meet Gabrielle as she came over. “Finished?”

“Yeees.” Gabrielle tried to peer past her. “What was that all about?”

“Never mind. I’ve got an idea for a present for my jackass heir.”  Xena put her arm around Gabrielle’s shoulder and steered her towards the wide, newly laid grand roadway that ended at the entrance to the palace.   “How about I send him the whole winter’s worth of manure from the stables?”

Gabrielle made a face. “Xena.”

“You know how much that’s worth, sheep hugger?” 

“I know, but gross!”  Gabrielle slipped her arm around Xena’s waist and hugged her. “Why don’t you give them something pretty, like a coach.”

Xena rolled her eyes.

“Or maybe a nice bed. Im sure they could use that.”

“I’m sure they know how to use the one they have, Gabrielle. Where do you think the kid came from?”

“Well.” Gabrielle scratched her nose.  “They didn’t have to use the bed.” She said. “After all..”

Xena covered her mouth with her free hand as they passed through the double line of guards into the palace.  “Okay.” She said. “A bed.  Why the Hades not.” She called over her shoulder. “Meridus? Get me the furniture maker up to my audience chamber before I get there or  else!!”

“Majesty!”  Footsteps went running off.

“Happy?”  Xena removed her hand.

Gabrielle hugged her again. “You’re so wonderful.”  She exhaled. “I can’t wait to tell that new story about you at the banquet.”

Xena grunted like a kicked pig.

“I promise I’ll leave the part about the flowers out.”

**

Xena let her sword rest on her shoulder, taking a few deep breaths as she felt the sweat trickle down her back.

Despite the cool breeze coming in the windows, she’d worked herself up into a lather as the sun dipped below the horizon and the light inside her practice chamber changed from gold to twilight purple as she wove her way in and out of it, going over the intricate moves that honed her skills.

The room was empty this time, missing her usual practice mate.  It was just her, and her sword, and the stone floor, nothing to obstruct her from the precision drills and now she paused in them to carefully extend her arms, hands clasped on her hilt as she stretched out her body.

She was pleased to feel not even a twinge from her back.  That had taken a lot of work when she’d gotten back from the war,  long weeks when she’d been scared to go full out, afraid of putting herself flat in bed again.

Not to mention the pain.  

But for once she’d taken it slow, and the result was that her strained spine knit itself back together and responded well to the regimen of cautious strengthening she’d applied to herself.

Definitely a relief.   She released one hand and swept her arms outward, turning her sword as she did so it caught the torchlight that slid over the flex of muscle in her shoulders.   She could see herself in the mirror against one wall, her eyes critically studying her form as she moved.

“Old goat.”  She pointed her sword at her reflection.   Then she twirled the sword, and launched herself upward into the air, flipping over backwards and landing, then bouncing back into a forward flip as she maneuvered the blade around in a pattern around her.

Scary, and occasionally painful when she smacked herself in the leg.  But this time she didn’t, and she extended the drill out to the side, moving in a lazy circle in long steps that countered the rapid, much tighter circles of the sword work.

She liked that contrast, the gliding sensation and the frenetic twisting of her wrists, at once graceful and deadly as she traveled from one side of the practice chamber to the other, passing the mirror and catching sight of herself in motion.

The torches outlined her in red.  The sky outside had darkened to black, and her sword was catching the flames in a weird, creepy outline.

And then Xena heard a sound behind her and she went from playful fascination to deadly serious in a breath, turning in a heartbeat and sweeping the blade in front of her as her eyes and other senses sought out whatever it was that made the noise.

She paused, going still, only her eyes flickering from one corner to the other.   The room was empty.  After a moment, she moved forward, searching the rock walls, and every corner, looking for what had made what had seemed to her ears to be a shifting body.

A boot, against stone, cloth against the wooden shutter.  It echoed in her mind as she let her nostrils flare, catching the breeze and searching for a scent to match the sound. 

But the wind only brought woodsmoke and the crisp smell of the stone itself to her, with no living tinge on it. 

Had she imagined it? Xena relaxed, but walked the edge of the room, from the single door that led to the circular stair around the long side of the room, past the two thickly silled windows,  past the short far end where her various training aids were laying, and along the front side, with it’s mirror and two more wide windows.

Empty.   Xena paused and let her sword rest on her shoulder again, as she stood in the center of the room and turned in a slow circle.

The mirror reflected her back to herself, a tall figure dressed in a sleeveless dark gray tunic and knee high boots, with summer tanned skin and a lithe, spare body.   Intimidating, except for the distinct, perplexed expression on her face as she made one more circuit of the room.

“I can’t have imagined that.” Xena finally said aloud. “I don’t have an imagination.”  She tapped her sword on her shoulder.   She carefully stepped around the perimiter again, sucking in air deeply and cupping her ears.

A bit of dust made her nose wrinkle.  She could hear the faint rasp of her own boots against the stone, and a soft rattle as some stones settled on the rooftops outside.  The air had no taint of humanity, no telltale musk of skin or hide, there was no metallic tang of armor or even the scent of the rats that ran through the back ways or the cats that chased them.

Hm.

She went over to the window and peered cautiously out, looking up and down the wall to see if there were someone clinging outside.

Then she crossed over to the other set of windows and looked there.  Unsurprisingly, since her practice chamber was at the very top of one of the guard towards, with nothing but hard rock and beaten eartlh to fall to there were no clinging assasins or anything else on the walls.

Unsatisfied,  Xena circled the room again, this time bringing a torch with her and searching the floor.

Nothing.

Far off, a bell clanged.  

After one more circuit, Xena gave up and went over to the shelf in one wall, picking up a heavy cloth and cleaning the sweat off her sword hilt and rubbing the blade down, keeping her eyes on her task and her other senses on razor’s edge, waiting.

But the only thing she heard was her own soft heartbeat and breathing, and the sounds of her stronghold getting ready for dinner far below.

Finally, with a sigh, she slid the blade home in the sheath on her back, wiping her hands with the cloth before she folded it and put it back in the niche.   One last glance around the room, and she opened the door, pulling the heavy portal open and slipping through it to the empty tower stair landing.

Here only the torches guttered softly, put in sconces by her guard while she worked within the room.  She made her way down the steps quickly, though with enough sound that the guard heard her and swung the lower door open as she reached the bottom of them. 

“Your majesty.” The guards put their fists to the their chests in a casual salute.

Xena gave them a casual wave, and continued through the antechamber, passing the doors to what had been, for a long time, her personal quarters.   She ambled down the longer flight of steps that led into the central hall, then crossed the large, open space that was the formal grand entry.

It was much livelier these days, the queen noted.  The forbidding, dark hangings had gone, replaced with bright, newly woven scenes that showed the lands around the stronghold, prosperous and well kept.

Gabrielle’s propaganda.  Xena smiled to herself.  Not that it wasn’t true, at least this year, but the hangings were meant to hammer home to the nobles entering that they were better off with her than without.

And that was pretty much true too.  Xena glanced towards the entrance to the big banqueting hall, behind the closed doors of which she could hear  the bang and clatter of the servants setting up, and her ears also caught the murmur of voices in the lower Hall, no doubt her well dressed spongers waiting for their feedbag.

“Hmph.”  Xena veered to the left and walked up the short flight of steps to her current abode, the guards sweeping over to open the big doors for her as she approached. “Thanks boys.”

“Your Majesty.” They answered together.

Xena strode through the doors and crossed her outer chamber, unbuckling the belt around her waist as she headed for the bathing room. 

A knock made her pause. “Yeah?” She turned and addressed the now closed door.

It opened, and Stanislaus peered in. “Your majesty.” He said. “Do you have perhaps a moment for me?”

Xena made him wait for it. “A moment.” She eventually conceded, waving him inside. “But make it a fast one. There’s a bath calling my name.”

Stanislaus entered and approached her. “Thank you, your majesty. I just wanted to inform you of the festival plans, and get your approval on one small item.”

Xena removed her sword from it’s clips on her back and went over to the weapons chest with it. She put it down on top of the wooden surface. “Have you run the plans by the muskrat?”

Without turning to look, she had no problem imagining the sour look on her seneschal’s face.  “Well?”

“They were just finalized, your majesty.”

Xena looked over her shoulder. “Get her okay on them, then we’ll talk.” She said. “Besides, she knows what I like better than I do.”

“But..”

Xena’s eyes narrowed. “I’m sweaty, sore and I’ve got a blade in my hands. You don’t really want to piss me off right now do you?”

Stanislaus sighed. “No, your majesty I don’t’ want to upset you at any time. I will go find your consort and consult with her.”  He turned and headed for the door.  “If she might spare me a moment from all her lessons.” He added in an undertone. “Especially from those Persians.”

Snark snark.  Xena watched the door close and smiled, turning to replace her sword on the bench and start to unbuckle her tunic.  Stanislaus never had gotten over Gabrielle and her scrappy, slave, peasant origins.

He of course refused to acknowledge that Xena’s origins were pretty much the same.  The queen left her tunic half unbuckled and grabbed a wineskin, carrying it over to one of the comfortable swing chairs her consort had found and sitting down to relax for a half candlemark while waiting for Gabrielle to come back from…

Wait.

The queen cocked her head to one side. “Lessons from Persians?”  She asked the empty room. “What in Hades is she learning from them?”

**

Gabrielle carefully put the small lap harp she was holding back into it's carry bag, and flexed her hand, her fingers a little sore from a candlemark of plucking. “Y'know, if I keep practicing this I might be able to play a song.” She glanced up at Jellaus. “By next summer.”

The minstrel chuckled at her. “Ah, Gabrielle. You're not that bad, truly.”

“Yes I am.” Gabrielle sat down on the bench, a wooden plank worn down into hollows by all the students who'd sat there before her. “But thank you for putting up with my trying”

Jellaus sat down next to her.  “I have had far worse to teach here.” He said. “Though you think I just say that to flatter you.” He smiled at her.  “And no other student returns the lessons to me like you do.”

Gabrielle produced a brief grin in return.  “Do you  have some new songs for the harvest festival?” She changed the subject. “I'm looking forward to it. So many people are here. Did you see all the merchants?”

The minstrel hiked up one booted foot and circled his knee with both hands. “I do have a few new ditties, yes.” He said. “Two ballads, you know, and some shorter ones a bit funny. But I feel...” He glanced sideways at her. “In my bones I feel this will be at tough winter. I'm not sure why.”

“I heard that today from the vendors.” Gabrielle ran her fingers through her hair and pushed it back off her forehead. “Boy I have to get this trimmed.” She muttered. “I'm glad we had a good harvest.”

“Her Majesty was pleased.”  Jellaus nodded. “Her nobles didn't stint this time, maybe they remembered the beginning of the warm season, when so many did.”

That was true. Gabrielle had seen the trains coming in, wagons stocked with produce and the fruits of the land's harvest being sent in tribute tot he queen. Did the nobles have a guilty conscience?  She studied Jellaus' angular profile.   Or had they realized, in a very graphic way that their queen was in fact the one major thing standing between the land and it's  enemies?

Xena had defeated a larger, better armed, Persian army. Gabrielle knew that, after all, she'd been there right along with the queen during the war.   Xena had lived up to her reputation, and now, she'd gotten the feeling that the nobles and the rest of the people living around them had realized that maybe they had something in her that really was special and worth bowing their knees to.

Other parts of the land, beyond their borders had sent envoys all summer, asking for trade, for advice.. and for protection. In return,  they'd sent tributes, these new and strange wagons traveling through the lands closer to the stronghold marching proudly along, happy to be a part of Xena's realm.

Changed some attitudes, she reasoned.  “I saw those barrels and barrels of salted fish from the port city.” She said. “Xena said if we didn't end up eating them she knew a way to turn it into fertilizer.”

Jellaus laughed.  “It's good to see her majesty in fine humor.” He said. “I was hoping I could perhaps coax her into joining me for one of my little songs at the banquet two days hence.”

“Oh. I dont' know.”  Gabrielle made a face. “She really doesn't like singing in front of people. I can hardly get her to do it for me.”

The minstrel sighed.

“I'll ask her.”  Gabrielle offered. “I think she thinks if she does stuff like that, people think she's .. I don't know.  She gets embarrased.”

“She rules with a clenched fist.” Jellaus said, in a quiet tone. “To sing, that shows an open hand and perhaps she is afraid she'll be thought weak because of it.” He sighed again. “And it is a pity she has such a fine voice.”

“She does.”  Gabrielle confirmed. “But you know, after all that I've seen here I get why she thinks that. People usually take what they can,  Jellaus.  They only hold back because they're scared of her. I get that.”

“But you are not.”

“Of her?” Gabrielle got up and slung her harp bag over her shoulder. “No. But I do get scared for her sometimes.” Her face tensed a little. “She's so brave, and so honest... I wish all the people she rules would give as much of themselves to her and she does to them.”

Jellaus studied her.  “They dont' see that side of her, Gabrielle.  Even most of those of us who have served her these many years haven't.”

“I know.”

“Will you be telling a few tales?” Jellaus asked. “Maybe you can give them a little glimpse of what you see, though I know her majesty prefers you to speak of others.”

Gabrielle sighed.  Though Xena had furtively enjoyed her telling tales of the queen's bravery at first, of late she hadn't been that enthusiastic about it. “She thinks I make her sound like some fantasy character but I don't, Jellaus! I just tell the truth!”

“Well..”

“She says she thinks she has to live up to my crazy stories.” Gabrielle said. “But they're not crazy. She really does do all that amazing stuff.”

‘Well you know, Gabrielle, she’s spent many years honing her reputation as a very hard, very violent person.” Jellaus said. “To now have you telling people of her saving this person and giving something to that person, it’s hard. It’s hard for her to let herself be seen that way, and it’ s hard for those who have experienced her fist to accept it.”

Gabrielle sighed.

“It will just take some time.” The minstrel patted her knee.  “Be patient, little one.   You had the advantage of them.”

“I fell in love with her.”  Gabrielle agreed. “It kinda changes your outlook, you know?  It’s really hard to think bad things about someone when all you want to do is hug them.”

Jellaus laughed softly.  “In any case, it should be a very fine Harvest festival.  I am looking forward to it. There are many minstrels coming, you know.  Some have arrived already and are outside the gates. I myself will be heading out there after supper to meet with them, and have a jam.”

“A jam?” Gabrielle’s brows contracted. “Isn’t that what you put on bread?”

“It is.” Jellaus said, with a grin.  “But it is also what we call it when we get together and just play music for the fun of it, all of us.”

“Oh wow. That sounds like fun.”  Gabrielle said, in a wistful tone. “I hope you have a great time.”

“Listen in the night.” The minstrel cupped his ear. “From your walk up at the top of the tower you should hear us.”

“I will.” Gabrielle started for the door. “See you later, Jellaus…  we can catch up again at dinner.”  She ducked out the door and let it close behind her, leaving the minstrel there, a smile still on his face.

**

Xena slid into the warm water with a sigh, extending her long legs across the marble surface and stretching her arms out along the edges of the tub.   The heat of the water had just penetrated her skin and started to ease her muscles when she heard the door open in the outside hall and close again.

No one in her kingdom would have dared to enter without her permission except her consort so Xena was completely unsurprised to hear her name being called in that cute voice. “In here, muskrat.”

She tipped her head back as the bathing room entrance was breached, and Gabrielle bounded inside, her face pink from the wind and her hair blown into disarray from it.  “Where have you been?” The queen asked. “Did you go back out riding?”

“No, just crossing the courtyard. It’s windy out there!”  Gabrielle leaned on the edge of the tub.  “But it’s great. You can smell all the smoke from the fire, and the trees and everything!”

“And the horse manure.” The queen agreed. “Did Stanislaus find you?”

Gabrielle made a face.

Xena chuckled wickedly.  “I hope to Hades you gave him a hard time on every single boring idiot ass detail.”

“He doesn’t like me.”  Gabrielle dipped her hand in the water. “Hey, it’s warm!”

“Course it is.”  Xena said. “Think I’d drag your scruffy ass into a cold tub?”

Gabrielle grinned. She took a step back and unbuckled her belt.  “I stopped by the kitchen.” She pulled her tunic over her head and draped it across the clothes stand nearby .

“And ate everything? Didn’t bring me something back, you little punk?”  Xena flicked a bit of water at her.  “Being the queen doesn’t count for much around here huh?”

Gabrielle dropped her boots and came over to the huge tub, leaning her bare arms on the edge. “You count for everything to me.” She said. “Do you want me to go get you something?”

“Like that?” Xena leaned her head over to the side to observe her companion’s naked body.  “I’d rather starve.”

The blond haired woman’s face broke into  an embarrassed smile.  “I wanted to make sure they had all the stuff I wanted for our dinner tonight.”  She explained.

“I see all the stuff I want for dinner right here.” Xena put a drop of water on her nose. “Get in.”

Gabrielle made her way over to the steps up to the tub and climbed them, easing herself into the water and letting it’s warmth creep up her skin.    The basin was large enough for a half dozen people to bathe, and it was made of marble in a free form state that had different little sections to sit in.

The one Xena was sitting in was just big enough for two people, and she waded over to take her place next to the queen.  She leaned back against the sloping wall and exhaled, breathing in the faint steam with it’s hint of spice. 

XEna studied her out of the corner of her eye.  “So.”  She traced the subtly lengthening profile curiously.  “How’d your classes go?”

Gabrielle scrunched her face up.  “Xena, I’m never going to be able to make music.” She sighed. “Like, maybe in years I might be able to play a really simple tune. I’m just not good at it.”

“Why are you trying to be?” The queen asked,  sliding one arm around her and pulling her close.  “I hate music.”

“No you don’t.”

“Sure I do.”  Xena disagreed. “You don’t catch me trying to play any stupid instrument, do you?” She raised both eyebrows.  “Just because you tell stories, doesn’t mean you can play that damn harp. “

Gabrielle sighed. “I know.” She said. “But I really want to.”

“Why?”

“Because I want to play you a pretty song.” Gabrielle glanced up, to find the expected droll expression on her queen’s face, one dark brow hiked, one slightly lowered, nostrils just a bit flared.  The candles around the tub lit her skin with dusky highlights, and the faintest hint of a smile twitched those beautifully shaped lips.  “Everything around you should be as pretty as you are.”

Even in the candlelight, she could see the blush darken Xena’s skin, and feel the warmth against her fingertips as she gently stroked the queen’s cheek.

“Shut up.”  Xena pulled her off her seat and over the queen’s body, making it impossible for her to talk as she wrapped her hand around the back of Gabrielle’s neck and kissed her.  “I don’t need any damn songs.”  

Gabrielle wasn’t arguing.   She settled her body against Xena’s and gently explored her queen’s body with knowing hands.  Her skin was warmer than the water and as she brushed against her, and her knee slipped between the taller woman’s, it grew warmer still.

It never paid to argue with Xena when she was kissing you.   Gabrielle felt her frustration over her harp playing ease,  as Xena’s fingers tweaked her playfully.    Or, really, any other time.    She ducked her head and returned the kiss, savoring the breath catching jolt.

“They tell me.” Xena eased her lips over and nipped Gabirelle’s ear. “That you’ve been visiting the dungeons.”

Gabrielle paused, and took a quick breath. She lifted her head a little and watched Xena’s face, half hidden in shadows.

“True?” That dark brow lifted again, as the queen watched her back, eyes quietly thoughtful. 

“Yes.”

Xena rested her hands on Gabrielle’s hips, her thumbs idly moving along the skin there.   She didn’t appear angry, but there was a certain tension around her eyes that made Gabrielle’s throat go a little dry. 

“What’s so interesting down there?” Xena finally asked, “I’m not sure I like you down in those cells.”

Gabrielle eased to one side and settled her head on the queen’s shoulder. “I was taking lessons.” She said, after a pause. “From some of the Persian guys.”

Xena’s eyebrow, the one closest to Gabrielle, immediately elevated.  “What?”

Her companion nodded slightly.  “I heard from the guards they were really good at certain things.. so I went down there and traded them for lessons.”

The queen reached over and clasped Gabrielle’s jaw, tilting her head up so their eyes met.  “Lessons?”

Gabrielle nodded again. “You want me to show you what they taught me?”

Both of Xena’s eyebrows were now at her hairline and her blue eyes were rather wider and rounder than usual.  “What did they teach you?”  She asked, in a growl.

“Turn over.”  Gabrielle eased up to her knees and moved away slightly. “I’ll show you.”

Xena’s nostrils flared in earnest.  “Turn over?” Her eyes narrowed. “What are you going to do to me?” She shifted, her muscular form rippling the water in the bath as she visibly struggled against reacting.

Gabrielle kept her sultry pose for a moment more, then she grinned. “C’mon, Xena. What do you think I’m going to do to you? Spank you? “

The queen eyed her narrowly for a moment, then she abruptly reversed her position, and presented her back to her companion. “G’wan.” She sniffed. “Do your worst. I’ll enjoy it.”  She rested her folded arms on the edge of the tub and waited, watching the breeze flutter the candle flames. 

Gabrielle smiled affectionately at the beautiful back, reddish gold tinted in the firelight.  She drifted over and settled behind the queen, slowly reaching out and touching her. 

She felt the instant tension under her fingers, the coil and shift of the powerful form that, though apparently relaxed, was never really completely so. 

Even asleep, Xena wasn’t.  Gabrielle eased her hands lower, at the base on her companion’s spine and then, raising her self up a little out of the water, she gently pressed down, moving her fingers as the Persians had taught her.

Xena grunted softly.

Closing her eyes, Gabrielle could feel the bone under her hands, the tension in the muscles around it as she worked to ease, and loosen and realign, working her way very slowly up Xena’s spine.  

There were knots – she worked them carefully, remembering the pain the queen had been in not so very long ago.   Though she knew Xena had taken up her drills again, she also knew they left their own aches behind and now, as she kneaded and probed, she could feel the stiffness in Xena’s long torso relax.

When she reached Xena’s shoulders, she could see the queen’s eyes closed, a faint smile on her face and she smiled herself, glad she’d taken the time to persuade the Persians to teach her the intricate massage, after she’d seen one of them doing it to another through the rough hewn grate in the dungeon walls.  “See? This isn’t so bad, right?”

She felt the bones at the top of Xena’s spine, where it met her neck click into place, and she heard the faint sound as the queen exhaled.

“Not bad at all.”  The queen muttered. “Damn, that feels good.”

Gabrielle grinned, unseen, as she kept working. “I thought you’d like it.   Who told you I was down there? Stanlislaus, right?”

Xena grunted.

“He saw me coming up the steps the other day and got all crazy.”  Gabrielle got her thumbs above the points of Xena’s shoulder blades and pressed gently,. 

Xena grunted again, a slightly lower sound with a different inflection.

“I mean, after all, I had two guards with me. And they were all behind those bars and stuff and it took me forever to get them to show me how they did this.”  She  moved her hands up and kneaded her queen’s neck. “All the grips and stuff.”

Then one blue eye opened and peered at her.  “They taught you to do this?”

Gabrielle nodded. “I traded them stories.” She said. “And some cookies.”

“Cookies?”

“Not the ones you like.”

Another grunt. “You picked it up pretty quick.”

“Well, yeah.”  Gabrielle rubbed her thumbs in gentle circles on either side of the queen’s spine. “I got in some pretty good practice.”

“You practiced this on some sweaty Persian hostage?”  The blue eye watched her sharply.   “Glad I sharpened my sword before I finished my drills.”

“Well… not exactly.” Gabrielle leaned forward and kissed her on the back of her neck.  

“Not exactly?”  Xena drummed the fingers of one hand on the edge of the tub.

“Well, Xena, really.  I did have to practice.”  Gabrielle admitted.   She kneaded the strong, arching muscles at the top of the queen’s shoulders, pressing her thumbs in and twisting just a little as she’d been taught.  “I mean you sort of have to.”

“Yeeesss?”  Xena said. “So who’d you practice on? C’mon, Gabrielle. Spill it.  I’m in the mood to kick some ass today.”

“Xena, that’s mean.” 

“And your point is.. what exactly?”

“How do you think I’d feel if I knew someone was getting hurt because they taught me something?” Gabrielle protested,  working her way down Xena’s long arms.  “You don’t hit Jellaus because he shows me how to play the harp.”

“Playing the harp doesn’t require your fingers on someone elses body.”  Xena said, bluntly.  “So cough up the details, muskrat. “

“Xena.”

“Muskrat.”  Xena’s voice rose, taking on a hint of her steely will as the tone deepened, and she started to  shift restlessly as her consort’s body pressed unexpectedly against hers.  “I’m warning you…”

Her blond companion moved closer still, and got her lips up next to Xena’s ear. “They made me practice on a pig.”

The drumming stopped. Xena very slowly turned her head , coming almost nose to nose with Gabrielle and making both of them cross their eyes.  “A pig?”

“A pig.”

“A pig, as in… “ The queen paused.

“Oink oink.” Gabrielle made a snuffling noise. “Oink oink oink.”

Xena started laughing, her shoulders shaking in silence.

Gabrielle kissed her on the cheek. “None of them wanted to lose their hands. “ She gave Xena a hug, wrapping her arms around her from behind and squeezing.  “Actually they were sorta scared to even  talk to me.”

“A pig.” The queen was now laughing so hard she was making waves across the tub. “Bwahahahahahahahhahaahah”

“A big white and black pig.”  Gabrielle said. “With a  pink nose.”

“A pig.” Xena chuckled, her laughter becoming a rare audible rumble.   “You were sitting in my dungeon massaging a PIG?”

“Kneeling.” Gabrielle flexed her hands. “You get a better grip that way.”  She kissed Xena’s neck, and bit gently on her earlobe.

“So, how did I compare?”

“Compare?” Gabrielle looked up from her random nibbling.  “Compare to what?”

“To the pig.”   The queen rolled around in the water, taking hold of Gabrielle and sending them both plunging into the water, causing a wall of it to splash over the edge and cascade to the floor.  “Oink!”

Gabrielle surfaced, spluttering. “Xena!”  She ducked as the queen stuck her arm in the water and sent a wave of it her way.   “You’re’ not at ALL like a pig!!!”  She backpeddaled  away from Xena’s uncoiling form but had a limited space to work with and found herself wrapped up in long, wet arms.

“I’m not?”  Xena stood up, pulling her up alongside as they emerged into the cool breeze coming in the window. 

“No.”  Gabrielle gently licked a few droplets off her breast.  “You’re beautiful.”

Ah.  Xena felt her body relax, the sudden and disturbing anger washed out of her.  She was possessive and she knew it – though she trusted Gabrielle more completely than anyone else in her life, still, she was who she was, and it was a good thing everyone apparently realized it.

Even her prisoners.   Who apparently had some skills she hadn’t realized.  “C’mon.”  Xena sloshed her way out of the tub and stepped over the edge, leading the way down the marble steps and across the bathing room to where a pair of white, clean towels were waiting.

She took one and started to dry herself off, only to pause when Gabrielle wrapped her own towel around her neck and started to use both ends to do it for her. “What are you doing?”

“Drying you.”  Gabrielle gently removed the water droplets, seeing a faint ripple of goosebumps go across Xena’s skin. 

Xena amiably reciprocated, ruffling Gabrielle’s pale hair dry.  Her back felt good, and the lingering stiffness from her drills was gone, and now that the question of someone else being the recipient of her bedmate’s attention was resolved, she was starting to look forward to the evening.

An evening of peace, before the Harvest festival started, when she’d have to don her royal gowns and preside over banquets in her big hall, and in general be bored senseless for a few days.

But tonight she only had the big, soft bed,  Gabrielle’s attentions, and those roasted apples ahead of her.  “So did you do any more shopping?”

Gabrielle wrapped the towel around both of them bringing their bodies into warm contact. “Maybe.” Her eyes twinkled.

“Didja get me presents?”  Xena gave up on the towels and slid her hands over Gabrielle’s skin instead, feeling  her guts ignite. 

“Maybe.” 

Xena draped her arms over Gabrielle’s shoulders and bent her head as they kissed, savoring the contrast of the fall cool air and the sensual heat as Gabrielle pressed against her.   She removed the cloth Gabrielle was holding and tossed it over the edge of the tub.

They left the bathing room trading the cold marble for the warm, thick rugs that lined the floor in the sleeping chamber.  The fire had been built up in the fireplace, and candles were lit at the four corners and on the headboard of the big bed, outlining everything in rich golds and reds.

Very inviting and homey.   Xena wryly acknowledged.  The once bare, almost cold space had been turned into kind of a nice place to spend time in, with the sheepskin rugs on the floor, and the colorful bedding Gabrielle had found somewhere in her rummaging around the castle.

The windows that had once been sterile and stark were covered in drapes, so they could block out the sun if they wanted to – not that there was sleeping in allowed in her quarters.

Much.

Tucked in one corner was the small writing desk Gabrielle used, with it’s stack of parchments and quills, her latest project writing down the history of Xena’s realm.  At first, Xena had not been very sure at all she wanted that written down, but as details were coaxed out of her, she  found herself warming to the subject.

Gabirelle took her hand and drew her down onto the bed, and they sprawled together over the soft surface. Xena stretched out as she felt familiar hands touch her,  savoring the knowing familiarity.  Her body reacted at once, her shoulders sinking into the feather down stuffed bedding as she abandoned herself to the attention.

A good way to end the afternoon.  She tangled her fingers in her consort’s hair and indulged in a kiss, feeling her breathing go irregular as Gabrielle slid a casual hand up the inside of her thigh. Or a good way to begin an evening full of hedonism.

A gentle nip at her breast, and she stopped thinking about it.  She curled her hand around the edge of  Gabirelle’s ribcage, and let herself get lost in the pleasure. 

An evening of hedonism indeed.

**

Gabrielle went to the edge of the sentry wall and looked over into the big courtyard, where everything was bustling despite the relatively early hour.  The big gates to the stronghold were thrown open, and the space inside the walls was already filling with people.

It was a beautiful day. The sun had come up into a clear blue sky, and the air was rich with the smell of canvas and people and animals.   She could hear musicians tuning up in the distance, and she wondered if Jellaus had gotten his jam in.

She could almost sense joy in the air.  That was new for Xena’s stronghold, at least in her admittedly short experience. People were happy. Harvest had been good,  the realm was at peace, they had a good husbandry season..  so different from the spring.

She heard footsteps behind her and she turned, to find Brendan approaching.   He was dressed in his usual tunic with Xena’s sigil on it, and he was smiling. “Good harvest!!”

“Aye lass, and it is surely a good start to the harvest.”  Brendan greeted her.  “All the better for me as I’ve gotten word today, my daughter gave birth to her first, a wee boy, and I’m a grandfather.”

“Oh Brendan!” Gabrielle leaped forward and gave him a hug. “Congratulations!”   She had known, in a vague sort of way, that Brendan had a daughter, but she’d thought she’d heard him say before they didn’t have much contact.

“Aye.” The old soldier looked pleased. “Been wanting a child a long time, she has. Feller she’s joined with now seems a more likely father.”

The door to the tower pushed open, and Xena appeared, wrapped in a deep blue dressing gown.   She paused when she saw them, and put her hands on her hips. “What’s going on out here?”  She demanded. 

“Xena!”   Gabrielle half ran, half danced over to her. “Brendan’s a grandpa!”

The queen suppressed a grin at her dancing muskrat.   “Kid of yours finally popped one, huh?” She eyed her guard commander. “She finally forgive you enough to name it for ya?”

Brendan shrugged. “No knowing yet.  They won’t name the lad till he’s seen a moon or so.  Think its bad luck.”  He said. “Surprised me, that they sent someone to let me know.”  He turned to face Xena. “Men were wanting to know if it was all right to set up a sparring, to give a bit of show like.”

Xena leaned back against the wall, spreading her arms out along it.  “Remind everyone who the ass kickers are?” She produced a wry smile. “Sure, why not?  Always pays to remind these bastards not to screw around with us.”

“Been pretty good this season.”  Brendan allowed. “Not as sour as the past.” He went on. “Course, winnin that fight and takin down the Persians din’t hurt any.”

“Me rooting out the last of Brego’s supporters and having them drawn and quartered didn’t hurt any either.”  Xena remarked dryly. “I think we’re finally rid of that bastard’s stench.”

“Reputation got kilt but h’grace here.”  The guard commander bowed his head in Gabrielle’s direction. “Once all of em heard of them people in the cookpot that did it.”

Gabrielle made a face.  “That was gross.”

“Even my part?” Xena opened her eyes in mock hurt.

“Xena.”

The queen chuckled good humoredly.  “You should tell that story at brunch.” She said. “We’d save on food.”  She winked at Brendan. “Gwan and get the men ready.  Maybe I’ll come out and spar with em and catch a break from the froofroo.”

Brendan nodded, and casually saluted, then headed for the door to north stairs, where Xena had appeared.  

That left Xena and Gabrielle alone up on the walkway, and the queen sauntered over to the other side of the walk and peered over the wall.   “Ooo.” She observed the busy courtyard. “Everyone’s coming to our party, muskrat.”

“They sure are.” Gabrielle nestled up next to her, leaning on the wall next to the queen. “Hey, Xena?”

“Hey muskrat?”

“Why is Brendan’s daughter mad at him?”

Xena studied the gates, which were now admitting two huge wagons with gaily painted sides.  “Why?” She exhaled. “Me.”

“You?”

“Me.  Xena leaned on the top of the wall.  “He loves me more than he did her mother.”  She glanced at Gabrielle.  “I didn’t let my army bring their sluts along with them back in the day.  Brendan left her in the village outside, she ended up working as a scut in the inn to make ends meet.”

“Oh.”  Gabrielle murmured.

“So they kid has reason to be pissed.”  The queen admitted.  “I figured out a couple years later it was easier to keep men when they were getting service regularly and anyway.. “ She paused and shrugged. “I guess it was too late for them. Brendan’s had his others.”

Gabrielle thought about that.   She watched Xena’s profile, the queen’s face relaxed and a touch remote, untroubled by this bit of her past.     It was very much part of who Xena was – or – was it? “Wow.”

One dark eyebrow cocked.  “I told you it was all about me. Remember? I didn’t have time for whining women and brats hanging around.”

Gabrielle watched her quietly.

“I still don’t.”  The queen said.

“But?”

Xena turned. “But what?”

Gabrielle blinked. “It just sounded like there was a but there.” She said.  “I can’t imagine people having to fight all the time keeping their families with them though.  It would have been really scary if that’s what had happened when we were fighting the Persians.”

Xena studied her hands, resting on the top of the wall.   “Scary.  Yeah.” She pushed away from the wall.  “Okay, enough of this stuff. Let’s go get dressed and get ready to party.” She held a hand out to Gabrielle. “Brunch with the sniveling bastards. You and I are invited.”

“Do they all snivel?” Gabrielle took the queen’s hand and joined her as they went to the south stairwell, that would lead down into their part of the stronghold.  “I think the Duke’s okay, anyhow.”

Xena didn’t answer.  She led the way down the steps and they entered the outer chamber of their rooms – where the royal clotheier was waiting for them.

“Your majesty, your grace.” The little man bowed respectfully. “I have beautiful garments for the festival as you asked.”

Xena strolled over to the ornate wooden rolling case he was standing next to. “Let me be the judge of that.”  She flipped open the doors and took a step back, studying the contents with a very critical eye.  

Gabrielle perched on a bench nearby, waiting.  Unlike her queen, she had no real interest in the pretty fabrics, but had resigned herself to putting on whatever Xena had selected for her trusting far more in the queen’s taste than her own.

She knew it would look nice. Xena had a great eye for that kind of thing – despite her rowdy attitude  and she herself loved dressing up though she’d never admit it.

Gabrielle smiled a little, watching the queen hold up a silk sleeve, in a pretty shade of blue, eyeing it speculatively.   “That’s nice.”

“Think so?”  Xena mused.

“I like that color.”  Her consort said. “It reminds me of  the ocean.”

The brunch Xena spoke of was the opening of the harvest festival. All of the nobles would meet in the big ballroom, and Xena would rule on several matters, as well as accept the tokens of the season from her subjects that represented the volume of materials they tendered to her that they owed.  

There was a lot of that, coming in.  

“C’mere.”  Xena motioned her over.    She waited for Gabrielle to approach, holding up a stunning bit of fabric against her body.  “Now, I like that color.”

Gabrielle looked down at herself, and the soft, clinging dress.  It was deep reds and almost purple, and it was cut to expose most of her shoulders.  “Oo.” She managed a surprised sound. “I like it too.”

That got her a smile from Xena.  “Atta girl.” She draped the dress over Gabrielle’s head. “Here, take this stuff, and go put something on.  We’ve got people to terrorize and presents to accept.”

Gabrielle accepted her burden, and pushing aside a bit of fabric so she could see, she wound her way through the wardrobe cases through the inner chamber and into the spacious, well lit space she called her own.

It was the previous ruler’s solar, and so, was full of sunlight and leaded glass that arched overhead.   Gabrielle shrugged her pile of clothing off her head onto the garment press and sorted through it.  Halfway through a noise interrupted her and she turned to see a slight, scruffy figure slipping through the rear, servants door “Hey Mali.”

A new development.  Stanislaus had talked Xena into letting him assign her a body servant, saying it was unthinkable that the queen’s royal consort to be cleaning out her own rooms and bathing area.   Gabrielle wasn’t sure Xena really cared about that, but she seemed to get a kick out of the idea of someone waiting on Gabrielle hand and foot  so she’d agreed.

Mali was the result.  She was younger than Gabrielle by a year or so,  short and thin with curly red hair that was in constant disarray and she was very happy about her new assignment.

“Oh your grace.” The young servant pattered over. “Let me do that for you.”

With a smile, Gabrielle did, retreating over to the big work desk in one corner.    Having a  servant was weird, and a little discomfiting, but, as Xena none too patiently had explained she was the royal consort, and servants were part of the deal so she better just learn to deal with it just like Xena had.

After all, she’d been Xena’s body servant, hadn’t she? Though that hadn’t lasted long.   Gabrielle pulled out the small box she kept her few pieces of jewelery in and opened it.   They sparkled inside, resting on their folded bit of velvet.

All gifts, all from Xena.    Gabrielle studied them, selecting the neatly made pearl earrings and setting them to one side.   That was the latest of them,  from the pearls Xena had given her made into cunningly wrought settings of silver that cupped the gems without holding them in place.

“Oh, this is so pretty.”  Mali said, lifting up the gown.

Gabrielle glanced up. “That’s for tonight.” She said. “For the big banquet. I think I’ll wear the green one for brunch.”    She watched Mali carefully hang the garments up in the tall press, amidst a collection of clothes ranging from a few gowns to the more numerous tunics and leggings she usually wore.

Her hawk’s head tabard was there, next to a well cared for set of armor, and resting in the back corner a broken ended spear, pock marked and splintered.    She’d really rather have worn that to the festival, but she knew Xena had taken an unusual amount of time in picking their new clothes and she didn’t want to disappoint her.

Gabrielle sat down at her worktable,  picking up a quill and twirling it in her fingers as she glanced around, considering what story she’ d tell at the banquet.    Was there any she knew that were harvest related?

Maybe Jack the Giant Killer.   That had beans in it anyway.   Or maybe the tale she’d reworked about the farm horse who saved his village from the flood?

Xena liked that one.  Maybe because it had the horse pooping everywhere.  Gabrielle chuckled softly to herself.  She’d steer away from stories about the queen during the luncheon, and save the one story she knew Xena would let her get away with for dinner. 

She braced her hand on her head and scribed in a few words on the nearly finished parchment.

 She liked writing here. It was quiet, and generally free of queenly distractions, the walls hung with silken tapestries full of bright colors and flowers,  and the high ceiling giving a sense of space and air.  To one side was a daybed, where she’d occasionally nap, and in the corner a fireplace complete with an iron hook she often had a small pot of mulled cider warming  hanging on.

“There are so many people here for the festival.”  Mali said. “My brother said you can hardly move in the courtyard.”

“It’s true.  I saw some huge wagons coming in just now. “ Gabrielle said. “Why don’t you go with your brother to the market?   Get the early bargains.”

Mali looked at her, a little wide eyed. “Oh but who will help you dress?”

Gabrielle leaned her elbows on the worktable, wondering briefly if she sounded as goofy to Xena as this girl sounded to her.  “I’ll be okay.” She said. “Remember, having someone to help me is a really new thing. “

“I know.” Mali looked abashed. “I just want to do a good job. It’s a real honor for me to do this.”

Her speech, Gabrielle mused, wasn’t that of a low born peasant – a fact she knew well since she was one.    But Stanislaus had assured Xena that the girl came from two loyal servants who had spent their lives serving the crown and had explained an irregularities away by saying the girl had a hunger for learning and spent much time around the scribes.

Maybe it was true.  “Anyway. Go on and  have a good time.”  Gabrielle said. “I’m just going to slip that on and go find Xena so we can go to the hall.”

Mali glanced nervously at the door leading to the queen’s chambers, then she bobbed her head and went to the door, disappearing behind it and heading down the stairs to the kitchens.

Gabrielle finished her scroll.  She stood up and tucked the parchment away, and then she shed her robe and went over to the where her new gowns were waiting.    She and Xena had shared a bath just after dawn, and now she riffled her fingers through her now dry hair as she stood before the wardrobe.

Her reflection in the mirror caught her eye, and she turned her head,  studying her profile for a moment.

She was growing up a little, she thought.  She felt like she’d even gotten just a little taller, and the neatly trimmed hair now outlined a face that seemed bit more mature.   Gabrielle gave her reflection a tentative smile,  bunching her hands into fists as she watched the muscles move under her skin.

Xena  had told her the other day that she thought Gabrielle looked sexy.   Gabrielle’s brows contracted as she reviewed herself.   “I’m not sure I think that.” She sighed.   Then she turned and  took the first of her two new gowns down and slipped into it.

The fabric was cool, but it warmed to her skin quickly and she fastened the ties that snugged it against her body at her shoulder and hip.  

“Muskrat!!!”

“C… on the way.”  Gabrielle slipped into a pair of soft indoor shoes, and cupped the pearl earrings in her hand, as she ducked around the wardrobe and scooted over to the door just as Xena appeared in the opening.

The queen was dressed in a gilded silk gown with brassy highlights, the fabric clinging to her body and the metallic hints reflected in the golden circlet nestling in her dark hair.   

“Wow.”  Gabrielle stared frankly at her. “You look great!”

A brief grin appeared on the queen’s face, true and disarming.  Then she braced her hands in the doorway and posed. “Think so?”

“Oh yeah.”

“Good.”  The queen reached over to tweak a bit of her bangs.   “Let’s go.”

“Can you put these in for me?” Gabrielle asked, catching her hand and holding it. She held up the earrings “I can’t ever get them on right.”

Xena took the baubles and turned Gabrielle a little into the light before she inclined her head a little and fastened the first of them to the lobe of her right ear.   “Where’s your little mouse?”

Gabrielle smiled briefly. “I told her she could go down and enjoy the festival.” She admitted. “I still feel a little weird about having her around.”

“I felt weird about having you around.”  Xena fastened the other earring, then stepped back to regard her work. “But I got over it.  There.  Looks good.”

Gabrielle looked up at her and smiled happily .   Xena felt her own face relax and she lifted her hand back up to cup her consort’s cheek, savoring the warmth of the skin under her touch.  “Ah, muskrat.” She sighed. “Y’know, it’s too damn bad we have to spend the day screwing around with those nitwits when we could be screwing around with each other.”

“We’ll still be together.”  Gabrielle took Xena’s hand, then she half turned her head and kissed the palm of it.   “Besides, isn’t this where you get all those nice presents from everyone?  That can’t be so bad.”

“Mugh.”  Xena made a face. “C’mon.” She turned and led the way to the door, reaching up to tilt her coronet a little.  “Maybe I’ll get drunk enough to play ring toss with this on some of those pinheads.” 

The sun was pouring into the lower entrance chamber when they came down the stairs, as the front doors of the stronghold were propped wide open for the occasion.    There were still guards around, a line of them to either side of the doors, and another before the entrance to the grand hall. 

It never paid to be too careless, after all.  

The lower hall was full of nobles, in their best clothes, all with servants clustered nearby bearing ornately wrapped packages. 

“Ah.”  Xena smiled, surveying the crowd who was just realizing her presence.   “Looks like it’s going to be a pretty good day, muskrat.” She watched the crowd hastily bow low to her, the servants struggling to stay upright with their burdens.  “I might even like being queen for a change.”

Gabrielle grinned.

“All right.” The queen lifted her voice. “Get your asses in the damn hall and let’s get this party started!”

Gabrielle closed her eyes.

“That was regal, huh?”  Xena chuckled and chased everyone ahead of her into the room. “Let’s go have some fun.”

**

Part 2

Gabrielle stifled the urge, for the nth time, to pull her legs up crossed on the big chair she was sitting on next to Xena’s throne.   The seat was more than large enough for her to do it, but the dress she was wearing was form hugging enough that hiking it up to allow for the motion would definitely draw attention to her.

That wasn’t necessarily bad, and she was pretty sure Xena would find it funny, but there were a lot of people in the room and she didn’t want to distract the queen from accepting her presents.  So, with a sigh, she tucked her feet under her chair and leaned one elbow on the arm nearest Xena.

Xena herself was seated in her big throne, her sword slung visibly on the back of it.  She had her hands clasped together over her stomach as she surveyed the lines of nobles waiting to approach, while in the far corner, a quartet of musicians softly played.

Servants were circulating with trays of goodies and cups of wine and mead and the whole scene would have been very festive if it hadn’t been for the imposing dais with it’s sharp eyed occupant, watching everything with a slightly amused expression.

“M’lady?” 

Gabrielle turned her head to find one of the servers there, with a tray containing little late harvest fruit tarts.    She scanned them and then selected two of the apple and two of the peach.

A loud throat clearing caught her attention. “Two are yours.”  Gabrielle smiled at the servant, and then she turned to hand over the loot to her now alertly watching seatmate.

“Two?” Xena’s brows arched.

“Xena.”

The queen chuckled as she lifted one of the peach tarts from Gabrielle’s hand and popped it into her mouth.   “Next!” She motioned the next noble forward. “C’mon Bresius.   Get your ass up here.”

Gabrielle nibbled an apple tart, holding the other two remaining in her hand as she watched one of Xena’s border nobles approach. He was an older man, with a thick salt and pepper beard and moustache.

“Your majesty.” He bowed gracefully.  “We have seen a good harvest this year.   Many fine hides we have sent, and cords of hardwood for your artisans.”  He had a small chest in his hands, and now he advanced, dropping to his knees before Xena’s throne and extending it.  “And this, a personal gift from my household.”

Brendan deftly stepped forward from his place at Xena’s side and took the chest, after the queen didn’t stir a hair to take it.   He opened the chest and studied the contents, and then he turned and brought it over to Xena for her to see.

“Oh.” Gabrielle felt her eyes widen a little.  “Xena that’s so pretty!”  

Inside the chest was a set of matched daggers, the hilts carved out of deer horn, and the blades patterned with a delicately engraved scene of battle.  

“Since we were the closest to the fight, I had my metal craftsmen make a memento of it for you, your Majesty.  We will never forget it.”

Xena took one of the blades out and held it, nodding a little at the fine balance as she looked at the engraving.   A faint smile appeared as she recognized a reasonable facsimile of herself on a horse, sword raised, with Gabrielle on Patches right behind her.   “Look, muskrat.”  She indicated the figures.

Gabrielle’s eyes lit with surprise and delight. 

“Craftsman’s got a good hand.” Xena addressed the noble. “He did a fine job.”

Bresius smiled, clasping his now empty hands in front of him.  “My lands are tough and spare, but their bounties are yours, my liege.” He said. “Bregos thought me so poor he didn’t even bother to offer me protection.” He indicated the box. “But we have value more than wheat fields.”

Xena studied him quietly. “What did you think about Bregos being out there?” She asked, running a thumb against the blade.

Bresius looked a trifle embarrassed. “The truth, your majesty… we didn’t know.” He said. “Was a hard winter, as you know, and the passes were snowed most of the season.  Had a merchant run up asking for shelter beginning of spring who brought the news to us, but my man who went heading up the road here said he saw the army coming the other way and so.”  He shrugged faintly.  “We figured … “ He paused. “I figured you already knew.”

Reasonable.  Xena mused.  Reasonable or was he lying, and was really one of Bregos supporters.  She looked him in the eye and he didn’t flinch, his heartbeat, clearly visible to her at his throat remained steady.

Honest, or a damned, damned good actor.   Xena knew where his castle was though, and given the weather, it was possible it was true.  

She glanced at the knife and brought it a little closer.

“They did Tiger really well.” Gabrielle observed.  “And look at Patches! They even got how one of his ears always goes down like that.”

Xena studied her own likeness.   “Bresius.” She looked back at him.  “Emissary from the port city came in yesterday. They’ve ceded all the land between the pass and the start of the road to me.”

Bresius cocked his head a little.   “Yes, your majesty?” He seemed a touch puzzled. “That is a fine thing and clever of them.”

“Mm.”  Xena nodded. “Yeah, they figured out they don’t have anyone with the guts to defend them so they figured if they’re in my backyard I’ll do it.” She said. “But I’m not going to leave it all out there untilled so I’d like you to take possession of the lands on your side of the pass through the valley and hold them for me.”

She could hear the stifled gasps from behind him, and she looked quickly up to see his retinue’s eyes widening in shock.

“Your Majesty.” Bresius murmured. “You do me honor past my worth.”

“Yeah, I know.”  The queen agreed with him.  “Deal with it.  There’s plenty of planting land there and the stench of all those dead bodies is probably gone by now too.”

Caught in the act of picking up the other apple tart, Gabrielle paused, wrinkled her nose, and put it back down. 

“I will stake and mark the land before the cold sets in.”  The noble held his head up a little higher. “We will make that profitable for you, my liege, I swear it.”

A relative unknown in her circle of subjects. Xena waved him to stand up.  His family had held the mountain lands for … three? Or four generations.  Kept to himself. Didn’t join in all the intrigue most of the time. 

Maybe that was good, maybe it was bad.   Xena watched him bow, then retreat to his retinue, who clustered around him, giving her looks of wide-eyed excitement and pleasure.     She put the carved knife back in the box and handed it back to Brendan. 

“Nice piece, y’majesty.” Brendan admired it before he closed the top. “Got your likeness right down.”

“Mm.”  Xena grunted. “That’s why I gave him the lands.” She kept her voice very low. “He didn’t’ make me look like a gorgon like those last idiots did.”

Brendan chuckled softly, having removed the paintings in question quickly from Xena’s outraged eyes. “Ah, they meant well.”

“Ah, they all need their eyeballs poked out if they really think I look like that.”  Xena disagreed. “Next!” She lifted her voice again, and pointed at the next set of nobles, these from a house she knew were Brego’s supporters, and who were visibly very, very nervous. 

Xena smiled at them. “Speaking of poking out eyeballs.”

Gabrielle settled back in her seat, debating on whether she could get her other apple tart down before something bad happened.

“So.  What’s it going to take for me to forget you held Brego’s warchest, hmm?”  Xena asked, in a mock wondering tone.

Regretfully, Gabrielle set the tart down and put her hands back in her lap.

“Now where did I leave my chakram.”

**

Gabrielle was glad enough to shed her fancy dress and grateful to Brendan and the troops for giving her an excuse to do so before they headed out to the festival.   She would have to dress up again tonight for the big banquet, but until then she could revel in her boots and woolen leggings and the silk tunic Xena had given her just the other day along with it.

She could hear Xena talking in her outer chambers, the queen's voice taking on an edge and a low growl she could detect through the walls.  "Now what?" She went to the mirror and ran a comb through her hair, tucking it behind her ears and twisting it’s length into a tail she tied with a bit of ribbon as it was windy outside, and she didn't want to struggle with it.

After a moments thought, she grabbed a few more ribbons, tucked them into her belt, then headed towards the door and the arguing outside.  She crossed through their sleeping chamber, then the inner living space where the drapes had been pulled back, and a cozy fire started in the fireplace.

Past that was a set of double doors, and she pulled the left one open and ducked through as she heard Xena's hand hit something hard.  

The queen was standing in the middle of the chamber, with a half dozen of the older nobles facing her.  The object she'd just hit was the little table that usually held a pitcher and glasses, and Gabrielle was glad that had been cleared off while they'd been at the brunch. 

"Gods be damned."  Xena said. "You little twerps have a lotta gall standing here bitching about who I pick to give lands to."

"But your majesty.."  The nearest man held his hands out. "We are your loyal subjects! We have proven that!"

Ah.  Gabrielle exhaled. She'd wondered about that.  She'd heard mutterings in the hall as she'd walked through. 

"And?" Xena had her hands on her hips now. "Are you saying Bresius isn't?"

The men shuffled uncomfortably. "Well, your Majesty.. " The nearest one spoke up again. "We know so little about him."

"Yes, your majesty." A second man stepped forward. "He keeps to himself up in those mountains. Who knows where his loyalties really lie?  He could have been with Bregos. We have only his word to say he wasn't."

Xena's eyes narrowed. "You mean, that's different from the boatload of crap heads with points on their head like you lot who I know did support him?" She asked. "What guarantee do I have on you, Ales trio?"

The oldest of the group put his hand over his chest. "Your majesty." He said. "Is that fair? I have always been loyal to you. I defy anyone to say otherwise."

"Hm." Xena growled.

Gabrielle dragged a big chair over and set it down behind the queen. She tugged Xena's sleeve. 

"What?" Xena half turned, then spotted the chair. "How decrepit do I look today?" She demanded.

"Not at all." Gabrielle held the ribbons up. "I can hear the soldiers getting ready outside."

The queen gave her an indulgent look, taking a seat so Gabrielle could reach her hair to braid it.   "Where were we?" She addressed the nobles.  "Got proof he's a stinker?" She asked them. "No? Then get the Hades out. None of you have lands that side of the mountains anyway."

"No, that's true your majesty."  Alestrio said. "And I pray you do not think it is just envy that drives us here to speak with you."

Xena gave him a highly skeptical look.

"Your Majesty, these last moons we've had good harvests and things have been going well." Alestrio said. "We just wish to keep it that way. We .. " He glanced at his companions then back at her.  "We don't want to have things be the way they used to be."

Xena leaned back against the back of the chair, bracing her elbow on the arm of it and resting her chin on her fist.   "Huh."  She felt a gentle touch on her neck, and tilted her head a little, as Gabrielle's fingers sorted through her hair.

"Peace among us profits us all." Alestrio said. "It may be this man is all he seems. We just beg your majesty to be cautious of those she doesn't know."

Xena studied them. It was true none of them had ever actively moved against her.  It was also true she didn't know much about Bresius.  However, she also hadn't known much about Gabrielle when she'd decided to trust her. "I'll keep it in mind."

A soft knock at the door made all the nobles turn.

Xena sighed. "Yes?" She barked.

The door opened, and Stanislaus poked his head in. "Your majesty." He said. "Lord Bresius begs and audience with you."

"This should be interesting." The queen commented dryly. "The rest of you get out." She pointed. "The other door."

“But your majesty…”

“OUT!!!!”

Reluctantly, the six men retreated, disappearing out the door that led into the central hall and shutting it behind them. 

Xena crossed her ankles and lifted her hand in Stanislaus' direction. "Bring the bastard in."

"As you wish, your majesty." Stanislaus closed the door, then opened it a moment later and stood back, allowing the border lord to enter.   He waited for Bresius to enter and cross halfway, and then he retreated and shut the door.

Bresius stopped about two body lengths from the tall figure slumped in her chair and folded his hands in front of him. "Your Majesty, thank you for granting me your audience." He said, in a low tone. "I will be brief, as I know you have plans for today." He twisted his hands together with a touch of nervousness.  "In the short time since this morning's events I have encountered some unexpected challenges."

"Everyone's jealous of you." Gabrielle spoke up for the first time. "They wanted those lands near the city." She resumed braiding Xena's hair, enjoying the silky, yet strong feel of it.

"Yes, your grace." Bresius agreed. "That is true. But it is not what I was referring to." He glanced at Xena. "Two of my men were found dead, not a quarter candle mark ago, with no witness as to how."

Xena straightened in her chair and put her hands on both arms of it in a precise and deliberate manner. "What'd they die of?"

"Your Majesty, I don't know." Bresius said. "Their faces were drawn into such a grimace, I can only think it was terribly painful. But there is no mark on them."

Xena turned her head towards her consort. "Go get Brendan.  Don't let anyone know why."

Without a word, Gabrielle circled the chair and headed for the door at a trot. She got through it and past the crowd of people outside, evading Stanlslaus' attempt to intercept her.

She dodged past the crowd, aware in her peripheral vision that people were turning to look at her and watch her, but she kept her pace steady - not a run, but a rapid amble she'd learned as a child chasing sheep across the hills and it made short work of the steps up to the stronghold as she headed for the melee field.

Ahead of her, she could see Xena's troops milling around, in obvious high spirits. Two of the cavalry captains spotted her coming and in a moment, all the men were turning, focusing on her as she came within range and bodies were stiffening as hands went for weapons.

"Is Brendan here?" Gabrielle asked, as she arrived at the edge of the field.

"Near the stables. I'll get him."  A horse soldier bolted off, as the rest of the men looked around, closing around Gabrielle protectively.

The army. The troops.  The people Xena truly trusted.  "Is there something wrong, your grace?" One of the foot soldiers asked. "Does the queen need us to do something?"

As the soldiers circled her, Gabrielle felt a sense of relief, as well as acknowledged the attention she was getting from them.  She knew they viewed her - having nothing to do with her putative titles - as Xena's very trusted right hand and as such, they would take orders from her as readily as they did from the queen.

"Right now, Xena just needs to talk to Brendan." Gabrielle said. "After that she'll see what's going on."

A stir in the crowd, and then Brendan was at her side, hand on his sword hilt.  "Ah, lass."

"Xena needs you." Gabrielle said simply. She turned and they moved through the troops, who parted to let them through. 

"Keep settin up." Brendan called over his shoulder.  "What is it, Gabrielle?" He asked his companion. "Bad stuff? Any of those useless gits get her mad?"

"It's kinda hard to say.. "Gabrielle paused, as they neared the road up to the stronghold and saw an ornate party, complete with soldiers and out riders making their way to the gates. "Wow. Who's that?"

Brendan shaded his eyes, keeping a quick pace towards the stairs. Then he stopped abruptly. "Cow's balls."

Gabrielle nearly crashed into him.  She hauled up short and put a hand on his back. "What's wrong?"

"That un is." He pointed at the column of horses.  "Name's Philtop.  Calls himself Prince of the Westlands."

At this distance, most of the group was just a cluster of bodies and horses.  One horse was a fine bay stallion, though, and his rider was tall and dressed in a fur lined silk cape. "Ah."

"Land's t'other side of the mountains." Brendan took a last look, then started towards the castle. "Better give her some warning.  He brought his army cross the hills and laid into us after we took this place."

"I guess he lost."  Gabrielle trotted to keep up with him.

Brendan snorted a little.  "He surely did, aye. Then he tried his wiles on her Maj and gave us a scare, I'll tell ya."

Gabrielle frowned. "She liked him?"

"We thought she did." Brendan crossed the outer courtyard and headed for the steps. "Turns out we didn't know her well as we thought.. she turned him inside out and sent him back to the Westlands short a few pieces."

Gabrielle decided she probably didn't want to know what pieces. She followed Brendan as they cleared the doors to the stronghold and headed for Xena's chambers. "Why is he here?" She finally asked, just as t hey were about to reach the doors.

"Good question, little one."  Brendan motioned for the doors to be opened as they neared. "Maybe he's looking for a parley. Heard they didn't do so well out there this season."

Hm. Gabrielle followed him inside, where Xena and Bresius were waiting, and the border lord now seated on a padded stool near the queen's big chair.   There was, she reckoned, such a thing as too much success.

"Thanks muskrat."  Xena greeted her with a brief grin. "C'mere and finish with my tail."

Gabrielle blushed, a little, but then, so did Bresius.  Brendan merely saluted the queen.

"Mistress." Brendan said. "Philtop's here."

Xena tipped her head back and rolled her eyes. "And today was starting out to be so good." She sighed. "Muskrat roll the sun back. Let's go back to bed."  She covered her eyes with the fingers of one hand. "What did I do to deserve that, I wonder?"

"Heard about the Persians, maybe." Brendan grunted.

Bresius shifted a little. "Many heard." He said. "Every merchant train coming through from the harbor talked about it."

Xena sighed. "Brendan, go with him. He found two of his men dead. See what the deal is." She said. "And tell Stanislaus to find some place to put the Westlands jackass as far away from me as possible."

Gabrielle bit back a cheer.  She sorted out the rest of Xena's hair, waiting for the door to close behind Brendan and Bresius before she leaned over and gave the queen a kiss on the back of her now bared neck. 

Xena leaned her head against her consorts. "Know something, Gabrielle?"

"Not a whole lot, no." Gabrielle admitted. "I'm trying to learn stuff though."

The queen smiled, an unexpectedly warm expression on her face as she turned and looked at her bedmate. "One bright spot in Philtop showing up. I'm glad he'll get to meet you."

"Me?"

"Mm."

"Why?"

Xena smiled again. "I just am." She said. "What story were you going to tell at the banquet tonight?" She changed the subject. "The Persians?"

Gabrielle nodded. "Is that okay?"

The queen nodded. "Very okay." She said. "Why?" She turned and looked at Gabrielle, hooking a finger in her belt so she was forced to remain close. "Spill it, muskrat."

Gabrielle took a breath. "I just thought you were kinda not okay with that lately." She said, in a soft voice. "You yelled at me when I told that one about Duke Lastay's wife last   moon."

Xena remained silent for a moment, her brows creasing and a furrow appearing above her eyes. "I was just in a bad mood." She said. "Gwan and tell em."

"Are you sure?" Gabrielle circled around and perched on the chair arm, putting her arms around the queen and gazing earnestly at her. "I don't want you to be mad."

Xena's expression shifted to one of slight embarrassment.  "It's okay." She said. "I was just mad at myself that day.  Didn’t' want to hear about some smart ass thing I did that I wasn't sure I.."  She stopped speaking. "Anyway, it's all right now." She said. "So make sure you tell all the gory parts right."

Gabrielle studied her companion quietly. She wasn't really sure what all that was about, and as she watched, Xena's eyes briefly dropped and then lifted again, suddenly open and surprisingly vulnerable. 

Now, what was that about? Gabrielle felt a flutter of worry in her gut, but she leaned forward and gave the queen a kiss on the lips. "I will." She promised. "Don't worry."

"Good." Xena recovered her attitude and stood up. "Let me go throw my armor on and we'll go watch the boys play.  With any luck, old Phil will get in the way and get pin cushioned and give me a laugh."

Gabrielle followed her towards the inner chamber, halfway hoping it might happen just that way.

**

Gabrielle paused, standing just to one side of the big double doors to the castle as the group from the Westlands rode into the forecourt.   There were a round two dozen of them, on beautiful horses, dressed in rich fabrics and metal accompanied by another dozen servants leading pack animals. 

Half of them were soldiers. They wore serviceable armor under their silver and blue tabards - well-kept and fitted, and carried weapons appropriate to an honor guard.  

The rest of the party were nobles, two women in traveling robes over gowns riding sidesaddle accompanied by nine men, a mixture of young and old, and at their head the prince.

Gabrielle studied the prince.  He was very tall, with broad shoulders and a fighter's lean, rangy body.  His hair was a deep auburn, thickly curled and as he turned in her direction she saw an even, beautiful profile with high cheekbones and firm, squared jaw.

He was dressed in a pair of heavy riding leggings, and a form fitting blue over tunic that showed off his tapered body to good advantage and as he swung off his horse he was already attracting interested looks from the passing noble ladies who were heading towards the tented stands to watch the events.

Okay so he really was good looking. Even to her. Gabrielle wasn't naive enough to think the queen hadn't had a lot of experience before they'd met, and it seemed to her that the prince was probably someone Xena would have liked and probably been attracted to. 

The army had thought so, apparently.  It was easy to imagine their alarm, after their long struggle to conquer the stronghold only to find their leader falling under the charms of what must have seemed to them like just another one of the same type they'd just fought against.

But she'd known Xena long enough now to read her most subtle body language and her reaction to the news of Philtop’s' visit had been straightforwardly unwelcome.  She hadn't sensed any embarrassment there, or any sign of anticipation. Just a typical eye rolling exasperation that might have been focused on Stanislaus for all the emotional charge of it.

So.

"Ah, your grace." 

Gabrielle had finally gotten used to being addressed by that title, and she turned to find the royal vintner behind her. "Oh, hello."

"I'm so glad to find you here." The man said. "I have something new, something I just created and I'm hoping the queen will approve of it."

Gabrielle cocked her head to one side. "I know her Majesty loves your wines." She said. "So unless you made one out of carrots, it'll probably be okay." From the corner of her eye, she watched Stanislaus and two other of the castle managers approach the Prince, greeting him with a brief bow.

"Oh no your grace. I would never use vegetables. Far too little sugar to make wines pleasing to her Majesty." The vintner looked scandalized. "She has very particular tastes, as your grace surely knows."

Her grace surely did. Possibly far better than the vintner.  Gabrielle was aware of grooms from the royal stables coming to take the visitor's horses, and one of Brendan's lieutenants eased among the prince's guard and pointed towards the nearby barracks. "Okay, so then it should be fine, whatever it is."

"Could you possibly do me the great honor of tasting it?" The man asked. "It's really very different.. I don't want to upset her Majesty." He held a small tasting cup up hopefully.

"Sure." Gabrielle watched past his shoulder as Stanlslaus led the Westland's servants inside, all heavily laden with trunks and parcels.   The prince and his group were looking around, and for a moment, she saw the prince's eyes fall on her.

She ignored the attention, taking the tasting cup from the vintner and sipping from it, the bowl filled with a pale liquid that smelled of fruit. 

"Oh!" She looked up at him in delighted surprise. "That's great!"

The vintner's face split into a huge smile. "Do you really think so?"

"Oh yeah!"  Gabrielle nodded.  "Xena's gonna love this."  She held her hand out. "Give me that skin. I'll bring it over to her. I'm heading there now."

The vintner bowed, and handed over the wineskin he'd had slung over one shoulder. "I'm so glad you like it.  I was hoping to serve it at the banquet tonight."

Gabrielle cradled the skin in one elbow. "After Xena tastes this, I bet she makes you keep it all for her." She assured him. "Good job!"

The vintner bowed again, then stepped away and headed back into the castle.  Gabrielle turned, half expecting to find Philtop and his gang still staring, but the forecourt was empty, and she spotted the group crossing through the gates heading for the viewing stands.

Relieved, she angled her steps towards the merchant’s booths, deciding she'd better pick up something to snack on if she was going to bring up the whole wineskin to Xena.  Wouldn't end up good for anyone if the queen drank it all on an empty stomach then joined in the sparring.

The vendor stalls were already doing a brisk business.  The best evidence of the good harvest was in the coin being spent, and there were many there spending, landholders and the townspeople mingling as they took in the wares - some from quite far away.

Gabrielle strolled along, her eyes flicking over the different booths. She pause to pick up a net full of late harvest fruits, and added a small wheel of cheese to that, along with a sack of nuts before she realized she'd picked up an escort.

The two soldiers, dressed in Xena's colors and with her hawks head on their over tunics didn't bother or obstruct her, they merely trailed along after her, one of them stepping up briefly and asking her if he could carry her packages.

"No thanks, Gerard."  Gabrielle smiled at him. "I'm almost done."

Had Xena sent them?  She eyed the soldiers speculatively.  Or had they just decided to shadow her, since the stronghold was full of strangers?  The soldiers she'd spent two campaigns with now might do that, of their own volition. 

"Pretty day." Gerard said. "Grand day for the festival, eh?"

"Sure is." Gabrielle felt the cool wind ruffle her hair. "Are you going to be in the show fights?"

"Not us, your grace." Gerard smiled at her, and put a hand on his chest.  "We've been assigned the great honor of escorting you."

Ah. "Do I need an escort?"

"There are many in the stronghold unknown to us." Gerard's companion spoke up. "Merchants and visitors from afar. It pays to be safe, rather than sorry."

Gabrielle smiled at them. "Thanks."  She continued her stroll, followed by her two shadows.  Gerard and his partner Brent, dressed now as soldiers, were two of Xena's most trusted men. They were both around the queen's age, solid and muscular, long time veterans of her army.

They were also, Xena had casually informed her, two of the best assassins the queen knew.  She had sent them behind enemy lines to cut the throats of important commanders - they were utterly hers, and Gabrielle knew both had been in the group trapped in the tunnel with them and again, in the small party that had stuck with Xena when they walked into the hands of the Persian army.

"Lot of stock coming in." Brent commented, as two big wagons were pulled past by well fed oxen.  "Going to be good cold season.  Have time to gear up."

Gabrielle nodded in agreement. She was glad of the winter months coming up. She had a lot of writing to catch up on and she was hoping Xena would take the time to start showing her how to use a sword.

Or - at least - something other than a half cut off spear or a big stick.

**

The sun was drenching the big open spaces inside the walls as Xena settled herself into her ruggedly built throne, under a green silk canopy on a platform built up against the inner wall.  

She had a gold chased gown wrapped around her, but anyone with sharp eyes could spot the tough leather boots and leg armor on her long legs sticking out from the bottom of it, and she’d slung her sword in it’s sheath on one of the high, turned finials of the chair.

Despite her chivvying of Gabrielle, it felt damn good to be in her fighting gear and she took a deep breath, the constriction of the leather closing around her briefly before she released it.  It felt good to have the weight of armor on her shoulders and the faint pressure of daggers at the tops of her boots.

Lately, she’d gotten more used to being in leather than silk, and the touch of the well cured hide against her own was oddly comforting, all the more so because the past candlemark or so had proved uncomforting to say the least.

Brendan was busy investigating.  Gabrielle had ducked off to find some parchment to bring with her, and, Xena suspected, to sneak over to the vendor stalls to do a little shopping.    That left her alone up on her platform, watching the first set of entertainers get ready to start their show.

Horse trick riders.  Xena adored them.   These lot were from the eastern lands far past her borders, and it made her happy to see them, after an absence of several years.  She studied the near dozen animals, sturdy and well cared for, that were trotting around in a circle while their riders tumbled and jumped around and over them, fearless of the big hooves.

For a moment, she imagined what it might be like to be one of them, traveling from city to city in a nomadic and sparse existence.

Would she like that?  Xena watched as the group gathered in the center of the horses, most of them listening to the tall, auburn haired man who was apparently their leader. 

What was their day like?  She mused.  Playing for the crowd, then what?  Go back to their caravan; a tarp set over it to shelter them and seat themselves on worn cushions, to share whatever was in their common pot to eat.

They had themselves, and their horses. It reminded Xena, just a little, of traveling with her army in the field when a long day of traveling or fighting might end with a campsite at twilight, some fresh caught fish, and if they were lucky some music around the fire.

She remembered one such night.  They had been under a crystal clear sky full of stars, and she’d had her back against a tall tree, her knees propped up over her fur covered saddle, a mug of rum in her fist and the satisfaction of victory warm in her gut.

Lyceus playing his sitar near the fire.   Everyone in a good mood, even those nursing wounds from the day’s fighting.

Raising their mugs to her.

“Xena?”

The queen jumped, and nearly lifted herself out of her chair, her hand going for her sword hilt before her brain kicked in and she thumped back into place with a grunt.  “Don’t do that.”

“Sorry, mistress.”  Jellaus bowed, and stifled a smile. “You seemed a thousand leagues away.”

Xena shifted and leaned an elbow on her chair arm, resting her chin on her fist.  “Just remembering the old days.” She admitted.  “Hearing anything interesting?”

Jellaus plucked the strings on his instrument.  “Grudging or no, all agree your majesty is in very fine form.”  He bowed again.  “Even our old friends from the Westlands. I saw them arrive.”

“Jackass.” Xena muttered.

“Ah, mistress.” Jellaus strummed a low, wordless tune.  “A prince of such beauty, he felt surely you couldn’t resist him.”   He said.  “And he was, indeed, beautiful.”

“He was.”  Xena allowed. “But a bastard on the inside.  Probably still is.” She glanced at Jellaus. “Go see if you can find out what his game is, Jellaus.”

“Mistress.” The musician bowed, then he turned and strolled off, strumming his sitar softly as he moved through the gathering crowd.

Philtop.   Xena felt her face twisting into a grimace.   “I shoudla made the damn party invite only.”

Dismissing the thought, she turned in her chair as she spotted the horse dancers moving into position to start their show.  From the corner of her eye, she spotted Philtop and his retinue taking seats on a pavilion across from hers, amidst a throng of her own nobles.

She knew she was being watched.   She could see Philtop standing there, and knew he was waiting for her to look over at him.  

Xena crossed her ankles and kept her eyes on the horses, only shifting when she caught sight of Gabrielle approaching through the crowd and heading towards her.  She settled back, watching the horses start up but also watching her consort.

Gabrielle had a wine sack slung over one shoulder, and a small bag next to it that looked like it had fruit in it.   In her snug leggings and shirt, she looked cute and sexy, the sunlight glinting off her blond hair as she moved quickly through a crowd that parted before her with equal haste.

She had her head held high, and as her gaze crossed Xena’s, her face moved into a grin that lit her face right up.

Xena felt herself grinning back.  

Damn they were a couple of nitwits sometimes.  The queen gestured to the chair next to her as her consort arrived, focusing on her and leaving the horse troop to dance unseen for a few minutes.   “Whatcha got?”

“Taste this Xena.” Gabrielle handed over the winesack. “It’s amazing.”

Obligingly, Xena uncapped it and took a swig, trusting that Gabrielle’s version of amazing wasn’t too far from her own to make her want to spit out whatever it was.    “Mm.” Her brows went up in surprise.  “Fizzy.”

“Bubbles.”  Gabrielle set down her other sack on the small wooden table between their chairs. “And I got some really nice looking fruit from the garden.”   She sat down. “The vintner just finished that bubbling stuff. It’s white wine but he did something to it. I really like it.”

“Me too.” Xena took another swig of the wine, the bubbles tickling her tongue. It was moderately sweet, and very refreshing.   “Tell Fergus he better save some of this for me.”

Gabrielle smiled.  “I did.” She confessed.  “And I got you this!” She leaned over and offered Xena something in her hand.  “It was so pretty. I thought you’d like it.”

Xena looked down to find a beautifully wrought metal horse head, hammered delicately into smoke black metal with the eyes of amber inset – an uncanny image of her favorite stallion.  She felt her jaw drop a little and blinked.

Gabrielle watched the reaction, and went back to sorting out her acquisitions with a satisfied look on her face.  “It’s got a clasp on the back. You can put it on your cloak to hold it shut, or a belt.”

“Ah.”

The cool wind, rich with the churned earth and grass from the performers areas brushed over Gabrielle and she took a deep breath of it, knowing a moment of content at the still slightly stunned expression on the queen’s face.

Gotcha.

**

"Oh, wow." Gabrielle was enthralled by the horse tricks.  She watched one set of horses run towards each other, their riders standing on their backs, alert but relaxed and then as they came even with each other they changed places, leaping through the air to land on their feet on the horses backs in perfect synch.  "That was amazing!"

Even Xena's eyes were a little wide. "Not bad." She admitted.

"Can you do that?" Gabrielle asked, as one of the men somersaulted in place - the horse still cantering in front of them. "I bet you can."

"Uh. Sure."

"But wow... look at that!"

Xena eyed her companion, hoping she wasn't going to ask for a demonstration there in front of her entire realm.  She thought maybe, with a lot of practice, she might be able to try it without killing herself.

Maybe.

The horse rider stood up on his hands on the horses back, his body flexing easily as the animal ran. Then he pushed off and landed on his feet, holding his arms out with a flourish. The crowd yelled in appreciation. 

Two more of the performers came out, seated in a conventional pose on their horses backs but carrying bundles of sticks, tied, and lit on both ends. They started to twirl the sticks, winding them in a figure eight around their horses necks and head.

"Tiger would have lost his mind."  Xena commented. "Lost his mind, dumped my ass off him, crapped a load the size of an ox head and taken off."

"I think I would have set Patches mane on fire if I tried that." Gabrielle agreed mournfully. "It sure is pretty though isn't it?"

"Better at night." Xena mused. "Maybe we can have them do this again in the courtyard after dinner."

The riders finished their pass, tossing the brands up into the air and then catching them. They rode off, to be replaced by four more horses, riding backwards and forwards between each other in a complicated pattern.

It was like a dance.  Gabrielle watched, enthralled, as the graceful animals and the ribbon bedecked riders increased their pace. She sat forward in her chair, almost holding her breath as the horses passed within whiskers of each other, so close to colliding she flinched a little.

After a moment, she glanced quickly to the side, to find her companion equally rapt, a grin twitching at her lips. "This is amazing, isn’t' it Xena?"  She offered the queen a pear from her collection as the performers took a break, and a set of musicians took their places.

Blue eyes flicked to hers. "Yeah."  Xena readily agreed, before looking back at the performers, turning the pear around her in fingers before she took a bite out of it. "Sure beats those damn puppets."

Gabrielle muffed a grin.

"Stupidest things I ever saw."

The puppet show had been a surprise for both of them, as the puppeteers had chosen to create figures that were evidently supposed to be her and Xena, and the show was a retelling of Xena's defense of the pass, complete with her own little puppet throwing soft wooden carved rocks.

"I thought that was pretty cool!" Gabrielle protested mildly. "I loved the way they made you jump around over those fake mountains. It was like you were flying!"

Xena rolled her eyes and then covered them with one hand, shaking her head.  "I can't believe I didn't have them flogged."

"I thought those puppets were really cute."  Gabrielle said. "I wonder if they could teach me how to do that?" She caught sight of Xena's eyes going wide. "Don't you think it would be great to be able to do some of my stories with puppets? I can practice this winter."

Xena put her pear down, and got up. She turned around and put both hands on the arms of Gabrielle's chair, staring intently at her.

"I'd have to do some work on your puppet though."  Gabrielle savored the sunlight splashing over Xena's face, bringing her angular profile into sharp relief. "It shouldn't be cute."

Xena took a breath.

"It should be as beautiful as you are." Gabrielle finished, reaching up to stroke the queen's cheek. 

Xena's shoulders moved as she released the breath, a look of wry exasperation taking over her face.  Then she straightened up and turned back to the performers, putting her hands on her hips as she listened to the pipes and horns they were playing.

Gabrielle nibbled an apple, watching her.  Then a motion caught her eye and she looked to her left, seeing Philtop standing up, his eyes also focused on Xena's tall form.

She couldn’t' really see the expression on his face, but after a moment, he started to move, several of his companions hastily rising to join him as they started across the pavilion to where the queen was standing.

"Xena." Gabrielle spoke up softly.

"I see em."  The queen kept her attention on the stage. "Might as well get it over with before those damn horses come back." She said. "Anyway I'm gonna enjoy introducing you."

"Me?" Gabrielle's brows contracted. "Why?"

Xena merely smiled.

***

She waited until Philtop's little group were near the steps that led up to her platform. There, she knew, soldiers would stop him unless she signaled them to let them pass and she wasn’t in the mood yet to let them pass.

She was aware of Gabrielle behind her, knew her consort was watching the men openly, while she kept her back turned to them, ostensibly watching the entertainment and ignoring the approach.

There was no danger in that. Philtop wasn't stupid, for one thing, there were soldiers all over the place, for a second, and Gabrielle would promptly holler her name in that excessively cute way she had if any of the Westlanders took so much as a squirrel’s step towards her.

Besides, her own peripheral vision was more than wide enough to keep the group of them in sight if not in focus, and she kept them waiting there at the bottom of the slope until she could see them start to fidget restlessly. 

It always paid to remind people who was in charge.  She wasn’t really sure what Philtop’s game was, or why he’d decided to visit after all these years and all that bad blood, but the last thing she wanted to do was make him think she was worried about it.

Or him.

So she slowly turned her head and studied them for a very long moment before she let out a lazy whistle, turning back then to watch a juggler as he worked with a handful of clubs.

She had her thumbs hooked through the belt of her robe, her body as relaxed as she could make it as her ears twitched, listening to them approach. She heard the slight sound as Gabrielle shifted in her chair, and then the rasp of leather and fabric as her consort stood up and moved.

She resisted the urge to turn around and see what the Hades Gabrielle was doing, hearing the wooden planks of the platform creak slightly under her weight as she came to a halt.

"Hello." Gabrielle's voice tickled her ears.  "Please wait there until her Majesty's ready to speak to you."

Xena grinned, unseen to them. She knew from the sound now that Gabrielle had gotten between her and the visitors, and the thought of her adorable bedmate holding off the interlopers tickled her.

Gabrielle could actually be a little fierce.  She'd proven her guts more than once in the last few moons and given a big stick and sufficient motive she could probably put a hurt on someone at least until they picked her up and spanked her.

Which of course Xena would not allow unless she was doing the spanking.  So she turned and regarded the intruders finally, not wanting any of them to get any silly ideas.

Sure enough, standing squarely between her and Philtop, shoulders braced and legs spread a little was Gabrielle, providing an adorably bristling guard complete with a rolled up scroll in one hand you could maybe consider a weapon.

Cute as Hades.

Xena stepped forward and leaned an elbow on one of those shoulders. "What do you want?" She asked Philtop. "I don't recall an invitation going out in your direction." She met his eyes coolly.

He looked more or less the same. His hair was getting a touch grizzled, but he still had that Olympian god like face and a well kept body to go with it.

He also still had that arrogant stance, though he hadn't been stupid enough to wear a sword at his belt where he customarily kept his hand, cocked in the manner of a natural swordsman.

Which he was, as much as she was.

"I thought it was just an oversight." He responded mildly. "As the rest of the surrounding lands were, and I see old Charstian over there, and all his get." He indicated a far section of the seating full of visitors. "So I came to pay my respects." He touched his chest briefly. "And to ask if we could let the past go. It's another day."

Gracious speech.  Xena didn't much buy it, but she appreciated the dance.  She studied his face, which he was trying hard to keep a humble expression on.  "I hear you had a tough year."

He lifted a hand, and let it fall. "Sometimes the Fates are more capricious than other times. He admitted. "I felt it might be time for our lands to have friendlier relations."

Xena regarded him drolly. "You did, huh?"

He smiled slightly. "Perhaps your majesty will do me the great honor and favor of discussing it later, after the festivities." He bowed.

Must be killing him.  Xena could see the discomfort in the motion, and the anxious looks from his attendants. "Maybe."  She relented. "See my seneschal inside. I might have a few minutes before the banquet."

She saw the faint look of triumph, quickly masked, and wondered what exactly he was up to.

"Many thanks." He said. "Until later, your Majesty."  He glanced at Gabrielle, who had been merely standing quietly and watching while they spoke.

Xena smiled. "My consort, Gabrielle." She supplied, watching his face react before he could stop it and getting a twitch of satisfaction from the twist in his shapely lips.

“So you finally picked someone.”  Philtop said, after a pause.  Gabrielle’s head lifted a little, and her back straightened as she glanced at Xena.

“She picked me.”  Xena, surprisingly, responded.  “Damnable lack of judgment.”

He nodded briefly, and then he turned and led his group away down the steps, past the guard who took up a position again blocking the way up.

"Hm." Gabrielle made a noise deep in her throat.

Xena laughed shortly, and pulled her around to face the field again. "Jackass.' She draped her arm over Gabrielle's shoulders, glad when she felt her consort snuggle close, and put her own arm around Xena's waist. "Hasn't changed."

"Wonder what he wants?"

"Besides me?" The queen answered wryly.  "He showed up here right after I won the crown.  Thought he was a gift of the gods, and that I'd be grateful to have him in my bed and add these lands to his. Offered to let me keep my title if I gave him an heir."

Gabrielle made another noise, something like a cross between a cat hiss and a cough.

"Still waiting for an heir. I kicked him so hard in his man parts I think I broke them." Xena mused. "They had to carry him home on an oxcart.  Couldn’t sit his horse." She pointed at the juggler. "Now that I can do. Wanna see?"

Gabrielle could well imagine Xena kicking someone there.  She'd seen her do it on more than one occasion, but usually the queen picked that spot because it was a weak point not for more personal reasons.

Philtop had been personal.  The thought of him assuming Xena would come meekly to his bed was something she found sort of funny, but funny in a gut grinding, uncomfortable way.

She looked up at Xena's face, at this person who she loved in such a crazy and overwhelming completeness and wondered after such a previous rejection what Philtop was going to ask of her now.

She gave the queen a hug, happy when the long arm around her tightened in response, and she felt Xena's lips press briefly against her hair. It felt warm, and good, and she closed her eyes, savoring the moment.

"Y'know."  Xena started speaking. "All those bastards, the ones around here were sure I'd screw up. That an ignorant warlord would never figure out how to be in charge of someplace like this."

"You're not ignorant."

"Oh, I was." Xena chuckled wryly. "I wasn't born knowing everything. y'know. I learned a lot the hard way.  Most warlords just keep going.  They don't stop once they conquer someplace, Gabrielle.  Too boring."

Gabrielle looked up at her. "Or too challenging?"

A smile stretched Xena's lips. "Oo.. you are smart, you little muskrat." She said. "Yeah. It's easy to wreck everything. Not so easy to keep it going." She turned her head and slowly surveyed the festival. "Much more fun to kill and move on."

Gabrielle thought about the previous spring, when Xena had first started to talk about going out to conquer more lands. Though it was generally thought that she'd had some inner knowledge of the Persians, Gabrielle wasn't sure that was what had spurred her. "Do you think those guys were in on the whole Persian thing?"

Xena was silent for a time, as they watched two of the jugglers trade flaming torches, a whirl of fire and smoke and tanned hands. "Maybe." She finally said. "They might have been willing to toss dinars into the pot if they didn't have to risk anything personally.  None of them had the guts to come at me directly."

"Oh."

"Sometimes." Xena looked down at her. "You gotta refresh the blood,  know what I mean, muskrat"

Gabrielle blinked at her. "Um." She thought a moment. "You mean, they were afraid of you, and you  had to remind them why?"

Xena patted her cheek affectionately. "Ats my girl."  Then she pointed at the juggling. "C'mon. Let's go show them how to do that."

"Uh.. Xena I can't juggle."

"Have you tried?"

"No."

"Then how do you know?" Xena started guiding her down the slope towards the stage. "You gotta take chances in life, muskrat.  We'll start with little fireballs."

**

Gabrielle sunk into the warm water up to her nose, letting out a sigh of relief as the heat leeched the soreness out of her bones.   Juggling had turned to horse riding, which had turned to sparring which had ended with an impromptu musical bedlam - all a bit wild, and a little out of control.

She was tired. Running around after Xena, ducking juggling clubs, grabbing a spear and defending the queen's behind in the sparring... and then there had been the mud battle.

She rubbed the back of her ear, the image of Xena shucking her robe and diving in gleefully flashing into her mind's eye.

The army had been utterly delighted.  Gabrielle herself had had fun, but now she was glad she was soaking here in their huge marble tub. She extended her arms out and flexed her hands, a little stiff from several candlemarks of mock battle.

The sun was slanting to the western horizon outside, and already inside, she could hear the quiet sounds as candles were being lit and the soft snap of the newly laid fire.  She could smell the wood, and the creamy scent of the wax, and at the edges of her hearing, Xena's voice in the outer room.

They had a few candle marks now to relax, before the big banquet tonight.  Xena's official opening of the harvest season, and a time for the stronghold to reflect the richness of the year by stuffing everyone silly and giving them more to drink that was possibly a good idea.

Downstairs, the kitchens were all at full tilt, roasting and grilling a selection of the best beef, mutton, and fish from the offerings, with every type of vegetable and root being worked over in pots and skillets on every cook place.

A literal madhouse.

There would be fruits, and honey cakes for dessert and it was both strange and really like a festival for her since she hadn't had to have a hand in any of it.   Gabrielle wiggled her toes in the water and felt a faint rumbling in her guts thinking of it all.

Usually she had some part to play in all of their joint meals.  Either selecting things and bringing them, or cooking, or arranging, she felt this was part of her role as Xena's consort.  

Not that she really knew what a consort was supposed to do – since neither Xena nor anyone else had told her, but Xena didn’t tell her not to do it so she kept on with it as she had from the days when she’d been the queen’s body slave.

Also, it was one of her few skills, and certainly one that Xena enjoyed as she'd found the queen appreciated her meals and was always looking for something to nibble on even between them.

So they had that in common too.  Xena had once admitted she’d spent so much time at war with the army she’d never gotten over the irregular supply of food, drink or rest and she tended to indulge in all of them every chance she got – old habits apparently died very hard.

For very different reasons, Gabrielle understood that.

She often on most days, threw some of this and that into a pot for a soup or a stew and let it burble from the morning on, usually coming back to their quarters in the evening to find most of it gone, though enough would be left for her to get a bowl before dark fell.

Of course, now thinking that she'd wished she'd done the same this morning.  Oh well.  Gabrielle exhaled. Maybe there was some fruit left in her bag. 

The door opened, and Xena entered, tossing her mud spattered robe over a wooden stand and starting to unbuckle her leathers. "Damn it."

"What's wrong?" Gabrielle asked.

The queen stripped out of her armor and laid it carefully across the stand, on top of the robe. The hide was stained a dark brown, almost black from the mud, and Xena's skin was similarly stained, along with long scrapes across her left bicep.  "That was Brendan reporting. He can't figure out a damn thing with those guys who croaked."

She untucked her under wraps and removed them, regarding the mud stained fabric with a bemused look. Then she shrugged and tossed them in the corner, before she entered the tub, sending water sloshing over the sides a little as she dropped to a seat.

"Xena." Gabrielle got up and swam over, bringing a bit of sponge and some soap with her. She rubbed up lather and started working on Xena's mud stained skin, as the queen slid down into the water with a contented sigh.  "Oh my gosh you look like one of the piglets.

Xena grinned, then sobered. "Two of the bastards, stone dead, not a mark on em just like he said." She arched her neck as Gabrielle scrubbed it.  "Not a scratch. Nothing. Like they just sat down and croaked."

"That's strange huh?" Gabrielle ran the sponge down Xena's neck to her shoulders, scrubbing hard to get the dirt off the areas her armor didn't cover. "I remember sometimes that would happen. In the winter."

"To grown men a little older than you?"

Gabrielle frowned. "Well, no." She cleaned Xena's collarbone, her fingertips feeling the faint dent just above her left breast. "Mostly the olders."

"Exactly." Xena slid down under the water and shook her head vigorously, before surfacing with a faint splutter.  "So what killed em?" 

'Could they have gotten bitten by something? A snake? Or a scorpion?" Gabrielle was soaping her way down one long arm, careful to be careful of the scrapes. "I’d hate to think we had something like that near the stables, Xena."

"Me too." Xena studied her pensively. "That's a good thought. I'll have them check the hayloft. Who in the Hades knows what came in with that last wagonload."

Gabrielle smiled a little, proud that she'd come up with something to help. "That was amazing, what you did with those barrels today." She commented. "Juggling them with your feet like that.  All the jugglers were really wowed."

Xena chuckled. "Yeah, but I'm going to feel it tomorrow." She flexed one leg. "Maybe you can try some more of that massage on me."  She waggled an eyebrow at her consort.

"Sure."

Xena settled back in the water, her shoulder blades pressed against the marble as she waited for Gabrielle to finish her work.  She could have done it herself, of course, and for all the long years between when she'd taken the realm and Gabrielle's arrival in it she had.

No one got that close to her. No one had been allowed to even be in her presence while she bathed  - not out of any modesty because she didn't possess any, but because there were so many people so ready to knife her she just hadn't wanted to take the risk.

And now?

Now she was perfectly happy to sprawl at her leisure in this decadently warm water while a sponge removed all the marks of a good day's fighting from her skin.  It was almost like being an actual queen, sometimes.

Which reminded her of something unfortunate. "Crap."  She sighed. "I told Stanislaus to bring that jackass up here at dusk."

"Philtop?" Gabrielle kept her scrubbing up, since there was quite a bit of Xena to wash. Her legs, for instance, which seemed to take forever they were so long.

"Yeah."

Gabrielle kept her head down. "I'll go get us something from the kitchen. I think they had some new cheeses come in today, and some dark bread."

Xena studied the damp head in front of her, and the fine tension in the bare shoulders above the surface of the water.   "We can send your little cat for that." She said. "I'd rather you be here. You make me remember why I shouldn't just randomly kill people when they annoy me."

Gabrielle looked up at that. "I do?"

"Mm." Xena reached over and tweaked her nose. "I want you here when he gets here."

"Okay." Gabrielle appeared puzzled, but pleased.  "I thought maybe he wanted to talk to you alone."

"He does."  The queen smiled. "But I didn't get where I am by giving people what they wanted. I got there by making people take me on my terms, Remember?"

Gabrielle took her hand and kissed it. "I remember."

Xena's face twisted into an expression of wry amusement, knowing inside just how much of a farce the exchange they'd just had was. "Good."  She said. "Let's get outta here before we get wrinkled like winter plums."  

They got out and quickly dried off, since the breeze now coming in the windows had more than a touch of fall in it.  Xena toweled her hair dry and went to her wardrobe, studying its contents as she listened to Gabrielle in the next room.

She threw on a deep scarlet casual robe, belting it around her waist before she went to the mirror and ran a comb through her wet hair, watching her own face twitch a little as she made sense of the thick, dark mass that was already staring to dry.

She put on a pair of indoor boots and went into her outer chamber, where a servant was just setting down a tray with cups of mulled wine on it.

"Your Majesty." The servant bowed deeply.  "Lord Stanislaus asked me to bring this here."

Xena flicked her fingers at the man. "Beat it." She said, waiting for the man to hastily leave before she went over and poured herself a cup of the wine, it's rich and spicy scent filling the room.

She took the cup and settled down on her elevated chair, taking a sip of the wine and feeling the burn as it traveled down to her stomach.

She suspected she knew what Philtop was going to ask, and she wasn’t' really sure why it was making her feel ...

"I'm not nervous." She spoke aloud.  "He can kiss my ass."

The inner door opened, and Gabrielle appeared, dressed appealingly in a simple woolen over tunic, belted at the waist.  She was carrying a tray and she set it down next to the mulled wine. "Did you say something?"

"Nothing intelligent."  Xena muttered.

Gabrielle came over and handed her a piece of dark, nutty bread spread with cheese, and what looked like a slight drizzle of honey on it.  "It really smells good downstairs." She commented, as the queen took it and nibbled an edge. "Everyone’s in a really good mood too.  Even the cooks were singing."

"Singing? I don't hire them to sing. I hire them to cook."

"Xena."

A soft knock at the door caused Xena to straighten a little in her chair, and Gabrielle to move towards the sound, She opened the door and exposed Stanislaus' form.  "Hello."

"Your grace." Stanlslaus bowed.  "Her majesty requested I bring Prince Philtop for an audience at this time."

"Come in." Gabrielle pulled the door all the way open and stood to one side as they entered.  Philtop was alone, though she caught a glimpse of what was probably his guard standing near the top of the steps.  She closed the door after them and went to the tray, picking up a mug of wine as Stanislaus said his little speech.

"Your Majesty. As you requested, I have the honor of present his highness, the Prince of the Westlands."

'Thanks."  Xena remarked. "Get him a seat then take off."

Stanislaus went quickly to the side wall and shuffled over with a low backed chair, then he bowed and backed out, forgetting Gabrielle had closed the door and slamming into it.

Xena swirled her wine and took a sip, watching with drolly sardonic eyes as he felt behind him and got the door open then escaped past it.  Then she turned her attention to Philtop. "Sit." She indicated the seat. " You wanted a meeting. Here you are. Talk."

Philtop walked over and sat down, glancing at Gabrielle before he looked back at Xena. He was dressed in a woolen over tunic, but had left his weapons behind, and even the circlet he'd been wearing that afternoon.  "I did ask." He said. "I didn't think you wanted your whole court to hear what I had to say."

Xena took a bite of her bread and chewed it. "And?"

"We had a bad year." Philtop said, looking away. "I'm sure you heard.  Most of the crops failed, and summer storms flooded the river and took half the livestock."

"I heard." Xena replied.

"I have two choices." Philtop said. "Appeal to you, or offer my lands to the highest bidder. " He paused. "Could be that bidder is someone you don't want as a neighbor."

Gabrielle stood quietly by the sideboard, watching them both. She could see and almost sense in visceral way, the tension in Xena's body, and looking at Philtop's aristocratic and   exquisite profile she realized he wasn't afraid of her.

"So." Xena said, after a brief pause. "Either I save your sorry ass or you sell out to the Persians, that right?"

"Right." Philtop answered straightforwardly. "Sorry Xena. I never wanted to cross your borders again after the last time, but I have no choice. I can’t let all those people die, and you're the only game this side of Persia. They've already sent an envoy."

"Have they."

Philtop shrugged his broad shoulders. "Why waste blood over something you can pay a little coin for? That is where I'm at. A cheap lay." He paused. "They'll buy anyone they can around here and surround you. Your reputation bought you that much at least. They don't want to come at you head on."

Gabrielle realized, suddenly, that this noble visitor wasn't quite so noble as he looked. He had the same bluntness Xena did, and she wondered.

Who was he, really?

Xena finished her bread and chased it down with a swallow of wine as the silence lengthened. "That all you had to say?"

"That's it."

The queen regarded him.

"Go on, Xena, tell me to get lost and you'll think about it." Philtop said, with a wry twist to his lips. "That's what I'd do." He added.

"I don't have to think about it."  Xena answered. "I just have to decide what it's going to cost you. So yeah, go on and have some lamb on me and we'll talk tomorrow."

Philtop nodded, his shoulders relaxing slightly. He got up and ducked his head. Then he turned and hesitantly did the same to Gabrielle before he went to the door, drawing himself erect before he opened it and slipped out, closing it firmly behind him.

It was briefly silent. Then Xena sighed and took a swig of her wine. She looked over at Gabrielle, who was looking intently back at her. "Long story."

"Wow."

'Really, really long story."

**

Part 3

 

How to explain Philtop?  Xena lay flat on her back on the big bed, arms outstretched as she listened to Gabrielle puttering around near the fireplace.  How to explain this massive screw up of her younger years that almost… almost had cost her this realm she’d conquered. "Damn it."

The scent of hot cider neared, and she turned her head just as Gabrielle sat down on the bed and offered her a cup.  "Don't have a past, muskrat. It catches up with you and bites you in the ass when you least expect it to." She turned onto her side and hiked herself up on one elbow, taking the mug and feeling it warm her hand.  “Thanks.”

The pale green eyes studied her gravely.  Then her consort lifted a hand and touched her cheek, stroking the skin there with a gentle thumb as Xena’s eyes fluttered briefly closed. "He sounds like he was in your army. Was he?" Gabrielle asked quietly.

"No." Xena said, after a pause. "He was an obstacle.  Westlands were the first territory I attacked when I got here." She swirled the liquid in the cup and took a sip. “I caught them by surprise.  Came down out of the hills at night, and had the city walls half down before they knew what hit them.”

"Oh."

“So then.”  Xena felt itchy, and embarrassed, to be admitting this.  “I saw them raise a white flag over the tower.  Gates opened, he came out.”

Came out, on his gorgeous chestnut horse, in all his finery.  Xena remembered reacting to the sight. To the raw, knowing sexiness of him before she really understood what was going on. 

Hades. She was young. He was gorgeous.  He’d played the noble self sacrificing card and she’d fallen for it, and him in a wash of sexual desire that caught her completely by surprise.

What a feckless moron she’d been.   Xena sighed and took a sip of her cider.  “Anyway.”

“He surrendered?” Gabrielle ventured softly.

"Not exactly. He made me an offer. He'd surrender, if I let him keep his lands after I finished raping and pillaging so I could go on to greener pastures. He’d just stay out of my way."

"Oh." Gabrielle's tone changed completely.

"Mm. Yeah. His outside's prettier than his inside."  The queen remarked. "Only thing I respected was that he was willing to do anything to protect those poor bastards who're stuck trying to farm that scrub."

"Sounds like he still is."

Xena laughed shortly.   "So after I went the distance and fought everyone around here into the ground... after my army was tired to the point of dropping and we'd just won.. he comes through the valley with his army and makes that offer I mentioned before."

"That you could be queen if you gave him an heir?"

"Mm." Xena nodded. "He was looking to take it all. Figured he had me over a barrel – we were ragged. I don’t’ think I could have put twenty men against him.”  Her eyes narrowed. “He thought he had me.”

Gabrielle watched her, seeing the deep, burning anger still in those pretty blue eyes. She took Xena’s hand and chafed it, as the muscles in the queen’s face twitched, memories obviously flickering through her mind.

She could still picture it.  Her standing in her leathers, covered in dirt and blood, and him in his sparkling, clean armor, smiling at her, reaching out to touch her face all ignorant of the building storm standing in front of him.

His words had washed past her, as he patted her cheek, touched her shoulder, then put his hand on her belly and told her he couldn’t wait to fill that with what he knew would be big, beautiful boys.

“Xena?”

Xena took a breath, and released it, looking up into Gabrielle’s concerned face.” Doublecrossing jackass bastard. I should have killed him."

"Why didn't you?" Gabrielle asked.

One of the queen's dark eyebrows lifted sharply.  "Aren't you supposed to be a sheep loving pacifist?"

Gabrielle blushed. "That's not what I meant.. I was just wondering."

"You were just wondering."  Xena took a sip, then handed her the cup. "You were wondering maybe I didn't because I liked him?"

Gabrielle's blush deepened.

“Liked him, the way I like you?”  Xena studied her intently, seeing the flutter at her pulse point.

Her consort took a breath, then raised her eyes. “I know there were other people.”  She said. “It’s okay.”

The queen chuckled very softly. 'Well, you come by those green eyes honestly, don'cha?" She reached over and put her hand on Gabrielle's thigh, a little surprised to feel a faint tremor there. "So yeah, I was a young and stupid, and I wanted him in bed."  She watched Gabrielle's eyes flicker, then lift to her own. "He screwed up by trying to screw me over. If the moron had just offered to join his army to mine, he'd probably be the king of this place right now."

Gabrielle studied her gravely.

"But he didn’t. Instead." Xena looked away, down at the soft fabric covering the bed. "He ended up cracked in half, and I risked the first great bluff of my career and told his army I'd cut them all to pieces myself if they didn’t take him and get out of my sight."  She looked back up. "If any of them had any guts they'd have called me on it, but they didn't."

“Maybe they were bluffing too.” 

“Maybe they got the shit scared out of them by the fact their prince could only make squeaking noises and his face looked like the hind end of a warthog.” Xena said. “But the bluffing… yeah, could be. They expected me to roll over same as he did.”

He really expected you to just Gabrielle made a face. Just give up?

He really did.  Xena said.  Moron.

Gabrielle took a sip and handed the cup back. "Do you think he's telling the truth?"

"Do you?" Xena took a swallow of the cider, and watched her consort over the rim of the cup.

"I think he wants to help his people." Gabrielle finally said, reluctantly. "But I don't trust him."

Xena smiled faintly. "My guess is, soon as the Persians were hammering at my gates, he'd be sneaking up and shooting us in back from the other direction."

"Do you think he was with Bregos?"

Xena shook her head. "He'd n ever treat with that bastard. But he knows when to take advantage of someone else's weakness."   She looked down again, and felt Gabrielle's touch on her shoulder, the gentle clasp warming her skin.

She really didn't need the sympathy though.  She'd wondered how she would feel facing him again and when she had, she' found him to be just an annoyance – to her relief.  None of the attraction she'd felt way back when sparked up at all even though he was still, undeniably attractive.

Just not to her.

Right?

She wondered how it had been for him. "Glad I was old enough to know what the Hades I was doing before I met you."   She looked up at her consort with wry honesty.  “I thought I knew what love was.   I had no clue.”

"Me either."  Gabrielle admitted.  “But then I really didn’t know anything, you know?  I never really had anyone in my life who cared about me, except maybe Lila.” She drew in an released a breath. “Until I met you.”

“Ah yes.”  Xena smiled faintly. “Your friendly neighborhood homicidal maniac.  You sure know how to pick em, muskrat.”

Gabrielle smiled back. Why did you say that? She asked, after a pause. That I picked you? I dont think I did. She said. I thought you picked me.  Her eyes shifted and met the blue ones steadily.  Didnt you?

A brief shake of Xenas head.   Lets stop talking. She leaned over and nibbled Gabrielles arm.  Weve got time to scare the chickens before we have to get dressed.

**

Xena sat quietly on the long, low couch at the back of her dressing room, her body encased in it's new finery, but her feet still bare.  She was leaning against the wall, turning the horses head Gabrielle had given her over and over in her fingers.

She would wear it on the fur lined cloak she was going to put on over her gown, she decided.  It would look good against the silver trim and it just made her happy to look at it in any case.

A soft sound made her look up, to see Gabrielle enter, looking shyly uncertain.  "Xena?"

"Over here." The queen called out from her somewhat dim and cozy corner. "C'mere." 

Also barefoot, her consort walked over, coming to stand next to the queen.

 "Hm." Xena studied her. "Sexy."  She admired the colorful, rich fabric wrapped around the smaller woman, showing off her compact curves and exposing her shoulders.   “I like that.”

That got a brief, embarrassed grin from Gabrielle. "You think so??"

"I think so." Xena "And since I"m in charge, what i think is all that matters, isn't it?"

Gabrielle chuckled a little.  She looked up to find those very blue eyes watching her. "I like it."

"Do you?" Xena's brows lifted.

"Yeah." Her consort nodded. "I like the color and I think it looks good on me."

"Oo. Are you finally getting some fashion sense?" Xena laughed. "About damn time."  She twitched a bit of the fabric straight. "Bet you were glad to have your little helper around putting this on, huh?"

Gabrielle nodded.

Xena held up the horses head. "I really like this." She said, in a quiet tone.

Gabrielle sat down next to her, pressing her head against the queen's shoulder and looking at the pin. "I saw it, and it just... it jumped out at me. It looked so much like Tiger."

"It does."  Xena gazed fondly at it. “The big bastard.”

"So I asked the maker there if he did that on purpose, and you know what, Xena? It was Tiger, but he didn't know he was your horse."

Xena looked skeptical.

"Yeah, I thought that too." Gabrielle nodded. "But you know, why would he lie about that?  He wasn't from around here, he said. He just got here a seven day ago, and the first thing he saw was Tiger in the outside field so he made this to look like him because he was so pretty.”

“He is.” Xena agreed. “Damn good breeding. I stole him from a farm way north of here.” The queen turned the piece over in her fingers.  “They were using him as a plow horse.”

“Really?”  Gabrielle’s eyes widened.

“Really.”  Xena nodded.  “He was barely a two year old.  Wasn’t grown yet.  Wild as a weed.” She sighed. “ Just like I was.”

Gabrielle studied her, and the pensive expression on her face. “Um.”  She cleared her throat. “Are you not wild now?” She asked. “Because I think your horse still is.”

Xena blinked at her, then she started laughing.  “Muskrat.”  She reached over and tickled Gabrielle’s nose. “What would I do without you?”  She straightened up. “Let’s go enjoy our banquet.  Tell a kickass story about me, and I’ll make sure they bring three desserts for ya.”

The queen hoisted herself up off the couch and held her hand out, hauling Gabrielle up next to her when her consort took it.  She gave the smaller woman a pat on the butt, then went to the stand where her cloak was waiting, fastening the clasp to it.

Gabrielle watched her for a moment, idly admiring the shape of the queen’s back, and it’s elegant tapering to her hips. She could barely see the faint white scars that had brought them together and it was hard to resist the urge to go over and ..

Well, why should she resist?  Gabrielle went over to where Xena was standing and ran her hands over the visible bare skin, leaning forward to give her a kiss in the center of her shoulder blades. 

Xena peered back at her, one eye brow edging upwards.

Gabrielle put her arms around the queen and gave her a hug. Then she trotted back to her own room to put her sandals on, pausing to reflect on what she’d just heard, and consider what story she wanted to tell.

A bold and heroic one, for sure.

**

The huge banquet hall was stuffed pretty much full.    Xena leaned back in her big chair and regarded her guests, all packed into tables squeezed into every available inch as the servers sidled among them with their huge platters of food.

At her long table, besides herself and Gabrielle, were a dozen of her nobles that she disliked the least, including her heir, and his wife.  The general rule was, the further away you were from her, the more Xena disliked you and those who were clustered against the back wall were correspondingly worried looking as a consequence.

Philtop and his group were off to one side.  Not at the back, but not at the front either – Stanislaus had squeezed a table in for them in pretty much the most neutral place he could find.

She knew he was watching her. She could see him from the corner of her eye. 

Casually, she reached over and captured Gabrielle’s hand, bringing it up to her lips and kissing the back of it. 

Gabrielle gave her a mutely delighted look.   She picked up a carafe and refilled Xena’s glass with it, the golden liquid sparkling in the candlelight. “Here comes the lamb.”

Xena eyed the four men struggling to carry the platter heading their way.  On top of it was a whole roasted lamb, mounded around with grains and roots. “So.” She observed. “What’s everyone else eating?”

Gabrielle looked at the lamb, then looked at her, eyed widening a trifle.

“Hey, I’m hungry.” The queen spread her hands out.

“Can I have the tail?” Gabrielle asked, straight faced. “I’m hungry too.”

Xena chuckled as they arrived, placing the huge platter down on sturdy wooden stands in front of her table.  The smell was rich and almost intoxicating, and she could see the rest of the room shifting a little, peering up at them.   Fancies had already been delivered to the tables, finger nibblements of the year’s first hard cheese, and smoked venison sausages with loaves of bread, but everyone was waiting for this part of the feast – the best of the stock sent to the stronghold slaughtered for good luck in the coming season.

Xena stood up and circled the table, drawing her belt knife as she approached the platter and the servants who carried it shuffled back away from her.   She studied the carcass and then lifted her eyes to regard the crowd.  

For the first time, in her years of ruling them, she sensed a willingness out there to accept her leadership.  The nobles would always all show up to feed, but now, she could see in the expressions and the body language and the way they were looking at her that she had, in fact, crossed some line with them.

Oh a lot of them still hated her. She wasn’t a fool. She knew there were people in the room that if given the chance, might slip a knife into her ribs or put an arrow in her back…  but for the first time, most of them were ready to accept her and figured maybe it could be worse.

Ironic.

Xena let the point of her dagger rest on the platter’s surface. “Ordinarily I’d hack a chunk of this and toss it over my shoulder, then kick the rest of it into your faces.” She said. “But y’know” She paused.  “It’s been a Hades of a year.”

The room was utterly silent, waiting for her to continue.  That was new too. Usually one or another of the older nobles would have stood up by now and been spouting off something at her.   “So maybe we can stop kicking each other’s ass so much.” She touched the point of the knife to the platter.  “Let’s figure out how to get rich together, instead of you looking for ways to knock me off and me looking for ways to cut you to pieces in return.”

She looked up to find that intent attention still focused on her.  “Deal?”

Slowly, a few of them nodded, looking around at their seatmates – sometimes glaring – until they nodded too until the entire room looked like leaves fluttering in the fall breeze. 

“Okay.” Xena lifted the knife and cut into the carcass, releasing a gust of steam as she efficiently carved up the animal.

Her own tradition.   She cut off some pretty chops  and set them on one of the smaller platters, then she turned and extended her arm, placing the dish in front of Gabrielle. “Here ya go , muskrat. “

Her consort smiled at her, but kept her hands folded and didn’t touch the plate.   Xena went down the table and served random portions to everyone seated at it, then she cut herself a pile of slices and retired to her seat.   She lifted her cup, and looked both ways down the table. “Good Harvest.”

“Good harvest!” Her table mates all answered in unison. 

Xena extended her cup towards the room, and gestured to the servers.  “Good harvest.” 

To her surprise, everyone stood and lifted their own cups and returned the greeting.   Even Philtop, over in his corner, and the skeeves in the back of the room.   She felt her eyes widen a little, and felt the gentle nudge as Gabrielle poked her, a big smile on her consorts face. 

She lifted a hand and acknowledged the toast, then she sat down, and everyone else did too, as the servers started bringing overflowing silver platters to every table, and, slowly the sound of voices rose in a low buzz as glasses clinked and people dug in.

“That was cool.”  Gabrielle clasped her hand.  “Wasn’t it?”

Xena studied her plate, with a somewhat puzzled expression on her face. “Yeah.” She finally said.  “It was.”   She turned as Brendan stepped up behind her, and bowed. “Did you see that?”

“Aye, Mistress.” Brendan’s tone was affectionate.  “Been a long time coming.”

“Uh huh.” Xena sat back and took a deep swallow of her wine. “Wonder how long it’ll last?”

**

Gabrielle curled up on her side on the bed, her parchment in front of her and a quill in one hand.  She was stuffed full from dinner, and she was glad to be lying down quietly waiting for everything to start to digest.   We just had the most amazing banquet.  I didnt think there were that many good tasting things in the world much less on our table at one time.

I told the story about how Xena defeated the Persians.   It took  a long time, but Xena saved me some of all the stuff I missed while I was telling it so afterward I got all caught up.

Everyone really liked it!  Even old Pussface clapped afterward and Jellaus came over to tell me how much he liked not just the story but how I told it.

Im glad.  I think Xena liked it too.  

Gabrielle glanced over towards the fireplace, where the queen was sprawled in a chair, her eyes half closed and her hand resting on her stomach. “That was some banquet huh?”

Xena’s head turned slightly and one blue eye opened all the way and peered at her.  “Way too much.” She said. “I shouldn’t have had that last half a sheep.”

Gabrielle chuckled. “I think it was really that last nutcake with honey.”

“Mm.” Xena waggled an eyebrow. “Good thing I shared that with you. I think I would have hurled and lost it all if I’d tried to finish it myself.”

Gabrielle got up and went over to where her queen was sprawled, perching on the arm of the chair she was sitting in. “I thought it was a really nice banquet. Everyone was happy.”

“Mmhm.” Xena nodded. “Weird. First time that ever happened.”

“You got a lot of really nice presents.”  Gabrielle smoothed Xena’s hair back. 

“You too.”  Xena looked very pleased.  “Those little bastards actually showed some taste for a change.  Wonder who told em what you liked?”

Her consort continued playing with her hair, and scratching her gently behind the ears causing little contented grunts to emerge from the queen. “Well, I sort of thought that was probably you.” Gabrielle said. “Since I think you’re the only one who knows what I like.”

Xena chuckled under her breath. “Ain’t that the truth.” She settled her arm around Gabrielle and rested her head against her consort’s hip. “Yeah it was me.”  She exhaled, her eyes on the flames, a look of quiet contentment coming over her face.

“Thank you.”  Gabrielle leaned down and gave her a kiss on the top of her head. “I had a great time, and it was so wonderful to get all those things.”  She whispered.  “But the best part was seeing your face when I told your story.”  She felt the motion as Xena smiled and she tipped her head forward a little to see it, the softly glinting blue eyes meeting hers. “You really liked it.”

The queen nodded.

“It’s a long story though.” Gabrielle cleared her throat, her voice sounding tired. “I’m going to have some tea. You want some?”

Xena nodded again.

Gabrielle kissed her on the top of her head again then she stood and walked over to the fire, moving the water pot over the gentle flames.   She set up two ceramic cups, removing some dried tea leaves from a wooden box on the mantel and mixing them with fresh mint and a bit of rose petal.  

The scent of the crushed herbs was intoxicating.   Gabrielle pulled over the small pot of honey and waited for the water to heat fully, savoring the warmth of the fire against the front of her legs.  It was raining outside, the patter of drops audible through the windows , and it felt very good to be inside, under a strong roof, with a good fire, and a friend to share a cup of tea with.

She poured the boiling water over the leaves and waited for them to steep, drizzling the honey in and smelling the steam change as it dissolved.  

She’d learned to love honey living with Xena.  At home, the rare treat had been reserved for her parents, and only very very occasionally were the children given a bit on their tongues to taste.  It was hard to obtain, and expensive, unless you were willing to brave the stings and go find a hive on your own.

Gabrielle never had.  It wasn’t until she’d come to the stronghold that she’d seen in any large quantity and experienced the surprise that the slaves were allowed to take as much as they wanted during their well cooked meals.

Xena liked it.  In her tea, and also on biscuits, and especially in the roasted apples Gabrielle often made for her after dinner.  

Also. Gabrielle picked up the mugs and carried them over, setting them down on the small table between the two big chairs in front of the fire.  She took a seat next to Xena and leaned on the chair arm with a  sigh of satisfaction.  She picked up her cup and took a sip, and watched quietly as the queen did the same. “So. What happens tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow.” Xena studied her cup. “All of the nobles tender their rolls to the bookkeepers.” She half shrugged. “Formality really.  I do my end of year court.”  She cradled the mug between her hands, her long fingers curling around it. “I’ll tell everyone what I’m going to do to help the Westlands.”

“What are you going to do?” Gabirelle asked.

Xena gazed at the fire. “Send someone to take a census, then send supplies for the winter.” She said. “Legion of troops, and a captain who’ll be in charge there through the cold.”

“Oo.”  Gabrielle made a face. “I don’t think Philtop’s going to like that.”

Xena smiled. “I don’t think he is either.” She agreed. “But if he thinks I’m just going to send wagonloads of food over there and let him do what he wants with it, he’s nuts.  That’s the price he pays. He wants rescue? Okay.” The queen lifted one hand off the mug and waved it. “But my men make sure the food goes to the people, and not to any Persians he’s courting.”

Gabrielle was nodding, since the thought made sense to her. “You don’t’ trust him.”

“No reason for me TO trust him.”  Xena said. “I’d go myself to see the damn place but the last couple times I dragged my ass out of this castle I nearly got it spanked.” She took a swallow of the tea.  “Besides, I’m not sure the Persians aren’t out there just waiting for their chance.”

“You think they’ll try something now?” Gabrielle frowned in concern.  “Come here, I mean?

Xena shook her head. “I don’t’ know.” She gave Gabrielle a wry smile. “I didn’t expect what they did the last time, showing up and taking the port city, now did I?”

“Didn’t you?”

Xena swirled the tea in her cup. Then she shrugged. “I got lucky.” She said. “I got lucky, and I had you with me.  You did more to save my skin than I did, my friend.”

Gabrielle looked at her in more than a little surprise. “I don’t think so.”

Xena rolled her head to one side and regarded her consort. “Let’s go to bed.” She said. “I’ve had too much to drink and I’m getting to be an asshole.”  She put the cup down and pushed herself to her feet. “C’mon muskrat.”

“Right here.” Gabrielle had gotten up and circled the chairs, coming up on Xena’s other side and snuggling up to her as they walked across the room to the big bed in the center of it.  Xena casually doused the candles as she passed them, then they both shucked their robes and climbed into bed together.

“Ungh.”  Xena stretched and rolled over onto her back.  “Hey you know what’s happening tomorrow?”

Gabrielle settled onto her side, reaching over to curl her arm around Xena’s and relax into the soft surface. “What?”

‘Stanislaus told me one of the traveling circuses showed up.” Xena said. “With tumblers and all that.  Haven’t seen one of those in .. .damn.” She felt Gabrielle’s fingers gently stroke her skin, and start a little massage down her side. “Years.”

“I’ve never seen a circus.” Gabrielle said.

“You’ll love it.” The queen promised her.  “We’ll go down and watch them set up in the morning.”

Gabrielle smiled just hearing the eagerness in her queen’s voice. “Is that something you wanted to do too?” She asked. “Like the horse acrobats?”

Xena snorted faintly.

“After all, you really can juggle.”

Xena let her eyes close.  At once, the sounds of the castle flooded in and she settled her shoulders into the soft mattress, listening to the soft evidence of ongoing cleanup in the hall and the setting of the guard in the grand entrance.

She could hear, further, the sounds of the many vendors camped out near the gates, her sharp ears picking up music, and laughter, and the sound of livestock moving.

The smell of woodsmoke entered the window, and she could feel the wind growing cooler, but before she could get under the covers Gabrielle forestalled her and settled the filled down layer over both of them.

She was happy. Even with Philtop’s presence, and the possibility of Persians, still she was looking forward to the morning and what it would bring, even if it wasn’t all good. 

Gabrielle snuggled up against her, and they were both drifting off when Xena’s ears caught the sound of boots on the steps leading to her chambers, moving at an urgent pace.  She sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Gabrielle asked.

“You’ll know in a minute.”

A soft but insistent knock sounded at the door pretty much a minute later. 

“How do you do that?”

“Sorcerous magic.”  Xena hauled herself up out of bed and grabbed her robe. “Stay here. Chances are they need to talk to me.”

Gabrielle debated for a minute, then she put her head back down on the pillow, and folded her hands over the covers and relaxed, listening to Xena crossing the outer living chamber on her way to the outside door. 

Then she heard the faint, but distinct sound of metal scraping against leather and she scrambled out of bed, galloping over to throw her tunic over her head before she ran out after the queen.  She got through the door into the outer chamber just as Xena opened the front door, the queen looking sexily intimidating in her silk robe and bare feet with her longsword clutched in her right hand.

“Oh it’s you.”  Xena let the sword rest on her shoulder as she stepped back to let Brendan enter.  “Damn. I was hoping it was someone I could beat the crap out of. Work off some of that dinner.”

“Mistress.” Brendan looked a little harried. “Two more men have been killed. Down in the stables.  This time ours.” He glanced at Gabrielle as she arrived at Xena’s side. “Same as t’others.  Not a mark on em.”

“Oh my gosh.” Gabrielle said. “That’s terrible.”

“Aye.” Brendan agreed. “Two young lads. Joined up since the war.”

“Two.” Xena mused. “Why two at a time?” She exhaled. “Put your boots on muskrat. Let’s go see what the Hades is going on here.”  She said. “Get everyone who was around in the stables, Brendan. I want to talk to them.” She closed the door after her captain and headed back into the bedroom, shoving her sword back into it’s sheath and untying the tie on her robe.

Impatiently, she tossed the thin fabric over the door  and pulled on a pair of leggings, then paused.  After a moment’s silent debate, she pulled out her house armor and quickly slipped into it, tightening the straps to fit it around her body.

She heard Gabrielle coming back and she grabbed her boots, sitting down to put them on as her consort arrived in a thick woolen overdress, belted at her waist.  “Ready?”

“Almost.” Gabrielle sat down and pulled her own boots on.  “That’s really terrible, isn’t it Xena?”

“That youe’ almost ready? Yes.” The queen stood up. “Tie faster.”

“No, I mean the guys.” Gabrielle finished her laces then she stood up.  “Okay.”

“C’mon.”  Xena picked up her sword and settled the belt around her shoulders and waist.  “Let’s go see and then I’ll tell ya if it’s terrible or not.”  She ran her fingers through her hair to get it out of her eyes. “Remind me to have you cut my damn hair when we get back wilya?”

“Sure.” Gabrielle followed her out of the room and down the steps. “But don’t you think you’d like it better of someone who knew what they were doing did it?”

“No.”  Xena turned her head right and left as she walked, scanning the hallway.  “I’ve always done it myself.”

“Oh.”

The doors to the stronghold were propped open, and torches were planted in their sconces all the way down the steps to the courtyard.  Xena could see walking figures in the semi light, most in worker’s clothing, most carrying things. She didn’t sense any panic, which meant the word likely hadn’t gotten out yet.

No one liked dead bodies popping up. Xena herself didn’t, unless she causd them.   “I just hope it’s not some kind of sickness.” She muttered.  “With all these damn visitors it could be.”

“A sickness?” Gabrielle was trotting to keep up with her queen’s long strides. “Oh. We had that in our village one winter. It was terrible.  Everyone got sick and some people died.”

“Exactly.”  Xena headed for the doors to the stables. She could see their outline in the dusk, and the shadows of two soldiers guarding them. Then she slowed. “Maybe I don’t want you around those bodies.”

Gabirelle hauled up so she didn’t crash into Xena’s butt. “Are you going to see them?”

The queen eyed her. “Yes.”

“So is it dangerous for you?”

“Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like the way this conversation comes out?” Xena surged into motion again. “C’mon.”

They approached the stables and as they came into the torchlight, the soldiers recognized them and hurried to open the big door.     Inside, it was well lit with hanging lamps and there were several groups of people standing around, all of whom jerked to attention as Xena’s tall figure entered.

Gabrielle’s attention was drawn to the two still forms on the ground, though, covered in horse blankets.  They seemed rather small, and she could see one boot sticking out bearing the stamp of Xena’s household on it.

Xena went over to the figures  and knelt beside them, pulling the blanket off the first one and setting it to one side.  She studied the pale, young face with dispassionate eyes, reaching out to touch the chin and turn the head first from one side, then the other.    “Who found them?”

“I did, mistress.” One of the grooms spoke quietly.  “They were in the hayloft.”

“In the hayloft.” Xena mused. She picked up one of the man’s hands and examined it. “What were they doing in the hayloft?”

There was a conspicuous silence after she stopped speaking.  Xena turned the man’s hand over and examined the palm.  “Well?” She looked around, seeing the reddened faces. “C’mon boys. I know what sex is. Just ask Gabrielle.”

“Mistress, we don’t really know.” Brendan spoke up. “But aye, we think they were making free with each other.”  He walked over to where Xena was kneeling. “T’other lad’s got his britches undone.”

“I see.” Xena rested her elbow on her knee. “Were you going to tell me that before or after I whipped the other blanket off and freaked out Gabrielle?”

“Mistress.”

“That wouldn’t freak me out.” Gabrielle spoke up in her own defense. “I grew up on a sheep farm.”

A few of the men cleared their throats.

“I thought you told me you never kissed a sheep?” Xena undid the catch on the top of the first dead man’s uniform and peeled it back, examining his throat closely. 

“I never did.” Gabrielle stressed the pronoun. “But I guess you probably don’t know that there’s not a whole lot of difference between women and sheep in some areas.”

Xena stopped, and turned her head to stare at her consort. 

“Well, you asked.”

The queen shook her head rapidly, then she went back to her examination, stripping the man’s uniform completely off and baring his pale lifeless chest. “Ah.”  She rolled the man’s body over onto it’s side. “Brendan. I thought you said there wasn’t a mark on them.” 

Brendan knelt next to her and looked where she was pointing.   “I don’t’ see anything mistress.”   He motioned one of the grooms forward with a lamp. “Where?”

“There.” Xena touched the skin just under a tiny red pinpoint.  “See that?”

Several of the grooms clustered around as the lamp was brought closer. “Tis nothing?”  One said. “Just a bit of a spot.”

“Maybe a bedbug bite.”  Another suggested.

“What is it, Xena?” Brendan asked. “Seems a bug bite to me as well.”

Xena tapped the skin with her forefinger. “That’s the mark a poison dart makes” She said. “See that small red ring around it?  That’s how far the blood got before whatever was on it killed this guy.” She pointed at the other figure. “Search that one for a spot just like this.”

She released the body and let it roll back, while Brendan and two of the other soldiers uncovered the second man, who was in fact only half clad.  “Check him everywhere.” She said, watching with dry amusement as the men flinched a little, and gave her sideways looks. “C’mon ya little kittens.”

“Tis not natural, mistress.” The nearer soldier protested. “Two men lying together.”

Xena looked at him. Then she looked at Gabrielle.  Her eyes slowly shifted back and almost impaled him with their sharpness. “Are you calling me unnatural?”

Everyone went very still.  The soldier was frozen, his eyes wide as he realized what he’d said.  Even Brendan was stunned into silence, one hand on the second solder’s arm, the other lifted towards the queen.

Xena rose to her full height. “I asked you a question.”  She pointed at the man.

The soldier rocked back onto his heels, raising his hands. “Your majesty… I didn’t mean you.”  He said. “Please forgive me.”

“Didin’t you?” Xena ignored the two bodies and moved forward, grabbing the man by his surcoat and lifting him to his feet. She slammed him against the barn wall and held him there, her other hand drawing a dagger from her belt. “Listen, horsecrap for brains.  I don’t know who fed you that idea but whoever it was didn’t know what they were talking about.”

The man was sweating profusely, shaking so hard his boot heels were thumping against the wall.

“Your life might depend on some guy who has a boyfriend.” Xena said. “Hades. Your life depended on me.”

The man nodded his head rapidly.

“Mistress.” Brendan spoke up softly. “He’s from the backwoods.”

“So was Gabrielle.” The queen retorted. “She showed up with an open mind.”  She turned her attention back to the man. “Am I going to have to cut your head open to let crap like that out?”

“N…no, your majesty.” The man whispered. “Im’ sorry.”

“Ain’t that the truth.”  Xena dropped him and stepped back.  “Brendan, make sure he cleans the middens for the next moon. Maybe next time he’ll think before he opens his mouth.”

“Aye, mistress.” Brendan said. “Xena, here’s the spot I think.” He drew the queen’s attention to the second man. “Here, on his hip?”

Xena knelt again and examined the spot.  The man, hardly more than a boy in truth, in fact had an identical mark just on the edge of his pelvis. “Yeah, that’s it.” She said.  “Damn it.” She rolled the man over and brought the lamp close to his still face, pulling his lip up with one finger to expose his teeth.

“Least we know what it is now.” Brendan said.

“Mm.” Xena straightened and propped her elbow on her knee.  “Yeah, better to know you’ve got some idiot killing people rather than the plague around, huh?” She glanced at Gabrielle, who was watching her with a serious expression.  “Except I don’t like competition in the homicidal maniac department.”

Brendan sighed.  “What shall we do with them, mistress?” He indicated the bodies.

Xena stood up, dusting her hands off. “Give them a pyre, with honors.” She said. “They served in my army.  Make sure their families are taken care of.”    She turned and regarded the small crowd still there, watching her with wide eyes.  “Now let’s see what information we can get out of you lot.”

She crackled her knuckles.  “C’mon muskrat.” She motioned Gabrielle forward. “Someone had to see something. Last resort we can threaten them with you and your sheep.”

**

Xena perched on a full barrel of millet, her ankles crossed as she waited for her next subject to interrogate.  Behind her, Gabrielle was seated at a makeshift table, a stack of parchment and a set of quills in front of her as she took notes.

It was very late.  All the sounds of activities outside had faded to nothing, and now, all Xena could hear when she stopped talking was the occasional owl, or the faint thunk of a horse hoof further back in the stables.  “All right. Next.” She pointed at one of the men. “C’mere.”

One of her own guards came forward, rubbing his eyes. He sat down on the stool in front of the queen and gazed up at her. “Mistress?”

“Zuke.”  Xena responded. “Where were you all night?”

“Third arch inside courtyard, Mistress.” Zuke said. “From sundown, until the dinner ended.” He shifted a little. “Got a meal bucket from the mess, an then I sat near the well there, eating it.”

Xena nodded, considering her questions carefully.   “When you were eating, who did you see?”

Zuke pondered that. “T’grooms.” He said. “Bring out some of the horses like, for the dukes and so on.” He blinked a few times. “Some of the lot from the Westlands.   Them was near the wall.”

“Uh huh. Anyone go in the stables?”

“Not past me, Mistress.” Zuke seemed disappointed.  “Doors were shut after t’grooms came out.  Then I went back to the archway, and stayed there till all the yelling started.”

Pretty much the same answer as everyone else.  Xena  felt a level of frustration building.   It seemed impossible that two men could have been killed in her barn without anyone at all seeing something.

Anything.

But no one had. The two soldiers had been in the loft together alone, and had been attacked and killed alone, dying so quickly they hadn’t had time to react, and therefore, had died not only fast, but in silence.

Only the fact that they’d missed evening call had alerted anyone, and then, apparently as they were known to frequent the loft for some privacy someone had gone looking for them there. 

Xena got up and went to the loft, stepping up onto the crossbeams and pulling herself up into the strawfilled space.  They’d taken the bodies out, and now she carefully examined the depression that had held them without touching or disturbing the straw.

They hadn’t struggled.   Xena looked at the edge of the loft, running her eyes along the wooden wall for the nth time, over the cracked and splintered edge, over the neatly fitted pegs that held the loft together, over the braced corners.

Nothing, nothing, nothing… wait.  Xena stared intently at a crack in the wood not a handspan from where her arms were resting.  “Hand me a candle.” 

Several people scrambled, then halted.  Xena heard a faint scrape, and a bemused sigh, and the next thing she knew Gabrielle’s pale head was at her elbow, handing the candle up.  “Thanks muskrat.” She took it.  “No one else have the guts to come up here?”

Gabrielle kept her voice low. “No one else wanted to get caught looking up your breeches. There’s a hole in them.”

Xena turned her head and looked at her consort. “Well then.” She edged aside and pointed at the bit of wood. “You get to see what I found.”   She held the candle close. “See that?”’

Gabrielle craned her neck and peered at the plank. “Where? Oh.. you mean that split piece there?”

Xena reached over and closed her fingertips around something, wiggling it loose and bringing it close to her nose.  It was a bit of cloth, and she showed it to Gabrielle. “See?”

Gabrielle studied it. “Is it supposed to be special?” She whispered. “Because it looks like a piece of somoene’s shirt to me.”

“It is someone’s piece of shirt.” Xena whispered back. “But it’s silk. From a long way away from here.”  She ran her fingertips over it.   “My grooms don’t wear silk.”

“Oh.”

“Most of my nobles don’t wear silk.” Xena continued. “Now, I wear silk, but I wasn’t in this barn peeping at two guys getting each other off today.”

“You don’t wear black silk.”  Gabrielle noted. “Not like that. It’s really dull. The stuff you have that’s black silk is all shiny.”

“Oo.” Xena looked at her. “You’re starting to show some brains, muskrat.”  She winked, then she got down off the loft supports, landing lightly on the ground and strolling back over to her barrel. The men in the barn all had their eyes fastened thoughtfully on the ground and she let the silence lengthen for a bit as she took her seat again.

“So.” She finally said. “Either my butt’s that ugly, or you all are craven cowards. Which is it?”

“Xena.” Gabrielle clucked her tongue as she got back behind the table, sitting down and scribbling a few words on the parchment. “They were just being polite.”

Xena rolled her head to one side and regarded her consort with a very droll expression.  “You don’t know much about men, do you?” She sighed, then turned her attention back to the room. “All right.  Everyone take off. Go get some sleep.”  

The men wearily got up, not even reacting to her butt comment, and started filing out.

“Brendan.” Xena half turned to her captain, who was stolidly standing guard nearby. “Make sure everyone stays in groups till we find the bastard who did this.  No one goes out alone.”

“Aye’ Brendan nodded agreement.  “Put a double guard on your quarters mistress.  Don’t want anyone getting no ideas.”

Xena folded her arms. “Maybe the fastest way to catch him is put no guard on my quarters.” She suggested. “See if whoever this guy is can get past my hoary old reflexes.”

Brendan hesitated, his face twisting into a scowl.

“You’re screwed either way.” Xena smiled.  “Agree with me, or disagree with me you lose.”

“Xena.”  Gabrielle tapped the queen on the leg with her quill. “Be nice.”

“Why?”  Xena gave her a mock hurt look.  “Can’t I have fun too?”

“Ah, Xena.”  The army captain chuckled. “Let me rest my own head tonight and know you guarded whether you need it or no.”   He said. “Be a long day tomorrow.”   He stretched his body out and flexed his hands. “Find something up there?”

Xena handed over the silk scrap without comment.  “All right.” She said. “Put a guard in the hall, Brendan, but keep them in the rotunda.  Last thing I want to do is give anyone the idea I’m scared of whoever this is.”

“Aye.” Brendan was peering at the scrap in the candlelight. “Isn’t local.” He looked briefly up at Xena, who nodded just as briefly.  “Persian?”

“I don’t know.”  Xena folded her arms. “That’s what bothers me.” She looked over at Gabrielle. “Gather your notes, muskrat.  Let’s go back to bed.”  She got up and strolled again around the barn while her consort got her things together.  

Towards the back of the structure Xena stopped, her head dropping to one side a little as she went still and closed her eyes.   She opened her mouth slightly and sucked air in through both it and her nose, detecting at the fringe of what she could smell something out of place.

Straw and wood and animals prevailed.  She could also smell the faint crisp scent of the brazier with it’s coals, the brassy smell of water in the buckets and troughs and leather from the harness.

And yet there was something else.  Xena slowly turned, breathing in.  Something that wasn’t Brendan, or the wool of his tunic, or Gabrielle’s soft skin, wasn’t the ink in the bottle she was stopping or the creamy smell of the parchment.

It wasn’t silk, or a cat.

She moistened her tongue and sucked in, and then, just at the very back, she found it.   She opened her eyes and regarded the two others in the room, who were watching her in fascination. “Huh.”

“Something wrong, Mistress?” Brendan looked around with a worried expression. 

“Funny thing.” Xena scooped up the pile of parchment and wrapped her arm around Gabrielle. “Smell something once, and you always remember it, if that once kicks your ass hard enough. C’mon.” She started for the barn door. “We need to find this guy, Brendan.”

“Aye.” Brendan agreed.

“We really do.”  Xena said, quietly. “Make sure everyone’s on their toes.”

“Aye.”

**

Gabrielle leaned back on her pillow, her eyes roaming around the inside of their bedroom as she listened to Xena sharpening her sword over in the corner.    The queen was back in her dressing gown, sprawled in the chair with her bare feet extended across the rug.

She had her sharpening stone clasped in one hand, and she was carefully scraping it over the length of her longsword, a look of quiet introspection on her face.

Gabrielle didn’t really want to bother her. She knew sometimes Xena just needed time to think, and usually then she’d go out on the sentry walk or down to the stables, and expect Gabrielle to understand she wanted to be left alone.

This time though, she had made a point of sticking almost at Gabrielle’s heels, and had brought her sword into the bedroom to attend to it.    Gabrielle squirmed around and settled onto her elbows, watching the queen’s hands move in that quiet, rhythmic way.  “Xena.”

“Muskrat.”  Xena glanced up over the sword.

“Why would someone want to hurt people here?”

The queen half shrugged.  “Piss me off?” She ventured. “Could just be someone who holds a grudge.  Still people in here who sided with Bregos, remember.”

“Hm.”

“Could also be a nutcase.”  Xena said. “Happens sometimes. I remember I had a guy in my army… picked him up just west of Thrace.  Seemed fine, good fighter, then one morning we woke up and six men were lying dead around the campfire, their man’s part cut off and their throats slit.”

“Oh gosh!”

“Turned out the guy was a known fruitcake.” The queen shook her head. “I had to break his neck before he killed anyone else.”

Gabrielle frowned. “But did you catch him doing it?”

Xena’s lips twitched faintly. “No. I figured out who did it, and confronted him. He snapped and tried to attack me with his teeth.”

“Oh.”

“Said I was a demon from Hades and an oracle told him to kill me and destroy my army.”  The queen said. “That almost made me think I was wrong since I was a demon from Hades and I could think of a dozen men who’d want my army destroyed but then one of the archers found his kit bag with the dead men’s parts in it and he started trying to eat them and then.. everyone was glad as hell I killed him.”

Gabrielle’s face rapidly went thorugh a series of expressions ranging from puzzlement to weirded out disgust.  “That’s crazy.”

“Exactly.”  Xena said. “So maybe this guy is too, but if he is, he’ll slip up and we’ll catch him.” She put the finishing touch with the stone and stood, seating the sword into it’s sheath, and hanging the sheath on the post of the bed so the hilt was within easy reach of her hand.  “But I’m not taking any chances.”

“You think who ever this is will come after you?” Gabrielle’s eyes widened.

Xena sat down on the bed and sprawled on her side, coming nose to nose with Gabrielle .  “I’m not worried about anyone coming after me.”  She said. “I’m more interested in making sure no one gets anywhere near you.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle leaned forward a little and kissed Xena on the lips.  “Thanks.”  She murmured. “But I always feel really safe when we’re together.”

“Silly muskrat.”  But Xena smiled, and returned the kiss. “I guess the nutball you know is always better than the one you only suspect is skulking in the hallways. Eh?”

“You’re not crazy.”  Gabrielle said, in an utterly positive tone.

“No, not now.”  The queen swiveled around and put her head down on the pillow.   She pinched the candle out and exhaled, as Gabrielle joined her, pulling the soft cover over both of them.  “But I was.”

“I don’t believe that.”  Gabrielle slid next to her and put an arm around Xena’s middle. “You’re the smartest person I know.”

Xena smiled into the darkness, and put a return arm around her, savoring the warmth as Gabrielle pressed up against her and gave her a hug.   She tried to remember what she’d been like back then in what she referred to herself as her crazy days, certain she really had been off the wall.

Hadn’t she?

She’d felt crazy, in the sense that she hadn’t really cared where her actions had taken her, and she’d almost prided herself on constantly doing the unexpected, keeping her men, her enemies and what few friends she’d managed to have as offbalanced as possible.

She was still that crazy woman, wasn’t she?  Xena certainly didn’t feel like a boring old stuck in the mud predictable despot. She still did the unexpected, right? 

She resisted the urge to get up and check the perimeter of the room again, having already examined every inch of not only the bedroom, but the inside living room, and her outside audience chamber twice.   She’d checked all the closets, checked under the bed and the furniture, made sure the windows were all fastened, and even cautiously poked her head up the chimney just to be sure.

Yes, as she’d told Gabrielle, she wasn’t worried about someone coming after her.  But she was terrified that through some inattention or mistake that Gabrielle would come to some harm, since she knew that everyone else probably knew exactly how weak a spot of hers the little shepherd’s kid was.

The Persian bitch had known.  Xena drew a breath and released it.  But then, the Persian bitch had gotten her face bitten half off by her little shepherd’s kid so there was that.

“Xena.”  Gabrielle murmured. “What are you thinking about? You’re twitching all over.”

The queen forced herself to relax. “Nothing really.” She said.  “Just remembering the bad old days.” She rested her cheek against Gabrielle’s hair. “Tomorrow we’ll look around a few places. I think I might have gotten a whiff of something maybe we could find, you and me.”

“Sure.” Gabrielle murmured, rather indistinctly. “Whereever you go, I go.”

Xena smiled, hearing that.  “Well, except for Tartarus.” She remarked. “You can’t follow me there.”

“I will.” The blond haired woman said. “I don’t care if it’s worse than Tartarus I’m going with you.”

Xena gave her a hug. “You have no idea what you’re saying, but I love ya for saying it anyway, muskrat.” She scratched Gabrielle on the back of her neck, feeling a deep sense of affection  for her bedmate that she wasn’t really sure what to do with.

 

“I love you too.” Gabrielle said, gently nibbling the queen’s collarbone. “And you know what? If some old crazy guy tries to come in here and mess with you I’ll jump all over them and squash them flat.”

Xena chuckled softly.

“I promise.”

“Go to sleep.”  Xena gathered her close and rocked her gently.  “No one’s going to mess with me, and no one’s going to mess with you.”   She closed her eyes and let her body relax, still keyed up, but determined to get some rest in what was left of the night.

Then she felt a gentle touch cupping her breast and that determination faded.   Ah well. Xena grinned. She’d gone more than one night without sleep for far worse reasons.

**

Gabrielle tucked a shawl around her body as she puttered around in front of the fire in the living room, arranging things on the platter that had been delivered from the kitchens.    Xena was still sprawled in their big bed, and the room was dark since clouds were covering the recently risen sun.

So she had the candles lit, and she perked up the fire, setting a pot for hot water on and reviewing the options for breakfast.

The tray held about a half dozen dishes and plates, mostly covered with late season sliced fruits, and some new harvest cheese, along with a small loaf of dark grain bread and a flagon of spiced cider.   Gabrielle was pleased with the selection, and she set two dishes on the table, picking and choosing from the platter.

A gust of wind ratttled the window, and she looked up, hearing an unexpected patter against the leaded glass.  “Hail?” She got up and went over to look out, seeing sure enough tiny white pellets bouncing on the outside patio stone floor . “Wow.”

The sky was slate gray, and ominious.  She could see trees bending under the force of the wind outside the gates and as she peered out, a colorful piece of fabric flew by and plastered itself on the outer wall. “Ooo.”

“Looks like I'll  bringing the clowns inside.” A voice sounded behind her, almost making Gabrielle jump before a pair of hands settled on her shoulders and she recognized Xena's low tones.  “Brendan thought he felt a storm coming.”

“Can we fit everything inside?” Gabrielle asked. “I wanted to see those horses again.”

“Sure.” The queen was in her dressing gown, and she leaned against Gabrielle's back in a very nice, warm way.  “I'll put em all in the dancing hall.  Get Stanislaus all pissed off.”

That certainly would.  Gabrielle herself had only been in the hall once, it's huge, vaulted ceilings and crystal candle holders hinting at a grand past Xena seemed to be uninterested in repeating..  It was the largest open room in the castle, though, and if the circus was going to fit anywhere, it would fit there. “Cool.”

Xena smiled. “Call the guard in so I can give him  the note for that pompous ass.” She squeezed Gabrielle's shoulders then released them.  “What do we have here?” She wandered over to the tray. “Light stuff. Good.”

“Yeah I'm still pretty full from yesterday.” Gabrielle said. “I told them to just send up a little.”

“Uh huh.” Xena poured herself a mug of cider, and picked up a slice of pear, walking back over to the window and perching on the sill to watch the weather as she nibbled it. “Good idea. I don’t think I could look at an egg or those griddle cakes of yours right now.”

The pear was acceptable, however.  She nibbled it more for the taste than anything else, enjoying the sweetness as she reviewed the ugly situation outside her window.

And it was, indeed, ugly. She could see the hail, and the hear the ping of sleet against the stone, a little surprised at the sudden onslaught of winter after their very mild fall.   Though Brendan had forecasted the storm, he hadn’t said it would be this kind of severe weather.

She was glad the harvest was in.  However, she realized now that she would probably have to host all her nobles until the storm ended and put up with their pompous nonsense more days than she’d anticipated.

Ah well.   Xena sipped her cider as she watched the rain fall.

Gabrielle went through the outer chamber and opened the door, startling the two soldiers standing guard there. “Good morning.”

“Your grace.” The nearer one recovered and bowed. “Tis foul weather outside.” The man warned, as if he had never noticed the windows that surrounded half of their quarters.

“Yes, it is.” Gabrielle agreed. “Would you come inside? Xena has a note she needs taken.” She stepped back and allowed the guard to enter.   She spotted Brendan trotting up thte steps and paused to wait for him.

“Morning, y'grace.” Brendan greeted her. “Mistress up yet?
“Sure is.” Gabrielle closed the door after he entered and followed both men towards their living quarters. “Everything okay?”

“Aside the weather, so far aye.”  Brendan said. “Good morning, Mistress.”  He greeted Xena, who had turned at their entrance and was leaning casually against the window casement.

Gabrielle went over to the tray and got herself a mug of cider, sipping it and enjoying the cold, crisp apple taste.  She took a piece of bread and cheese and went to the desk in the room, setting down her breakfast and removing her quill from it's case.  “What do you want to tell him, Xena?”

“Can't have you write that muskrat. You'll bleed from those cute innocent ears.”  The queen said. “So just tell him to let all the people here for the festival to bunk inside the walls, and to put all the performers in the dance hall.”

“Okay.”  Gabrielle dipped the end of the quill in the ink and started scribing.

“Quiet rest of the night, Mistress.” Brendan was saying. “We got the pyre done for it started in raining. Jas took news to th'families, and we set em up on rations.”

“Thanks.” Xena had her legs up on the wide sill, her bare feet crossed at the ankles. “Get three different squads, four men each, and search this place.  Top to bottom. I want to know about anything strange they find.” She considered. “I would have had them start last night, but most of those places are too damn dark at night.”

“Aye.”

 “They're looking for any evidence at all of someone hiding or living in the corners or closets.” Xena went on.  “Straw on the floor, scraps of food, dung, whatever.”

“Understood.” Brendan said. “Start up at t'top and work down to the dungeons.” 

“You were right about the weather.” The queen commented. “Damn you.”

Brendan flexed his hands. “These old bones know it.” He admitted ruefully. “Felt it comin on.” He glanced outside, where another patter of hail was bouncing. “Glad we had a nice day yesterday at least.”

“Yeah.” Xena said. “I should have known better than to think my luck would hold longer than that.” She remarked dryly.  “Now we have to feed this whole crowd until the damn storm stops.  Even I can’t kick them all out in it.” She added in a regretful tone.

“Got plenty of stock in.” Brendan said. “Merchants’ll be happy t’get more coin.”

“True.”  Xena said. “I should tax them on it.”  She said. “Anyone bitches about anything, toss that idea at em.”

Brendan chuckled.

Gabrielle finished her note.  She blew the letters dry, then she opened the pretty wooden box on one side of the table and removed Xena's signet ring.   She picked up a candle and dripped a bit of wax on the parchment, then pressed the signet into it.

A measure of Xena's complete trust.  The power of that impression could pretty much do anything she desired in the realm.  Gabrielle put the ring back into it's box and waved the parchment around waiting for the wax to cool.

Xena had told her she enjoyed having someone around to write all her stuff for her. Gabrielle wasn't sure if that was really true, or just something the queen wanted her to do just to give her something to do.   It wasn't as if Xena had any problems writing – her handwriting was better and more legible than Gabrielle's was in fact.

Nevertheless, the queen insisted she do it, and so, Gabrielle was glad to humor her and did her best to make the notes she scribed understandable and neat.  She rolled up the parchment and gave it to the guard. “Here you go.”

“Take that to Stanislaus.” Xena ordered. “Tell him don’t bother whining about it. I want to see that circus.”

“Majesty.” The guard took the scroll and left, closing the outer door firmly behind him.

“Xena.” Brendan cleared his throat. “The Westlanders be making a bit of trouble.”

Xena's eyes narrowed. “What kind of trouble?

“Quarters they were given for the guard not to their liking. The captain came found me this morning, they want to move into the stronghold next to where the prince is.”

Xena sighed.

“Said they heard as was a killer around, they needed to protect his nibs.” Brendan concluded. “Heard all the hubbub last night I guess.”

“Gag.” The queen grunted.

“Well, were four  people killed, Mistress.” Brendan sounded almost apologetic. “Know I'd be tetched ifn it was you in his castle and that was so.”

The queen glowered at him.  “Tell them I said beggars can't be bitchers.”  She said. “If Philtop wants to sleep with his guards he can move him and his buttlickers to the barracks.

“Aye mistress.”  Brendan ducked his head. “I'll tell em.”

“Beat it.” Xena said. “So I can go outside and take my morning bath out on the porch.”  She got up and strolled to the doors that opened out into the storm.  “Gabrielle, get my soap.”

Brendan ducked his head ahead, then scooted over to the door and ducked through it, leaving them alone.  Gabrielle looked at the closed door, then at her queen. “Um.”

“Yeeeessss?”

“You aren't actually going to take a bath out there, right?”

“Why not?” Xena turned and leaned her back against the window. “It's water, ain't it?” She cocked her head at Gabrielle.  “Same as what's in our bathtub.”

“Our bathtub isn't icy cold and it doesn't have hard pieces of ice falling in it.” Gabrielle went over and peered out the glass. “I'd get sick to death if I tried it.” She sensed Xena moving, then she was surrounded by the queen's long arms.  “I remember when we were out with the army and it was so cold.  Brr.”

“And I wanted you to take a bath in the stream. Remember that?”

“It was a heated stream.” Gabrielle had to smile. “But I didn't know that.”

“Let me clue ya, muskrat.” Xena pointed outside at the rain. “If you go outside in that, you know  how good it'll feel when you come back inside?”

Gabrielle frowned. “But why get all cold for no reason?”

Xena rested her chin on Gabrielle's head. “Cause you don't understand what warm is until you've been cold.”

Gabrielle thought about those words for a long moment as the silence lenghtened.  Then she turned in the circle of Xena's arms and let her hands rest on the queens hips. “Okay. Do you really want to do this?”

“No.” Xena grinned at her.

“Xena.”

The queen chuckled. “Let's go get cleaned up and dressed.  I've got court to hold and  jackasses to deal with.”  She turned them both around and nudged Gabrielle in the direction of the bedroom. “You can tell everyone we took a hail shower. Be good for my image.”

“Xena that's kinda crazy.”

“Exactly.”

**

Gabrielle was glad she had her  new, warm cloak on as she trotted between the main hall and the wing of the castle that held the dancing hall.  She pulled her hood up and felt the pelt of the rain against her shoulders, the sound of moving livestock barely audible over the roar of the storm.

The doors to the other hall were propped open despite the rain, the water dampening the stone and puddling al ittle at the entrance. Gabrielle went around the puddle, and trotted up the steps glad to trade the harsh weather for the firelit warmth inside.

The first person she saw was Stanislaus and boy, he sure looked pissed off.   She could see the stiffness in his body, and the jerkiness of his gestures, as he directed the circus performers into the hall.   “Stanislaus.”

He turned and spotted her. “Your grace.” He managed, through gritted teeth.

Gabrielle almost felt sorry for him. “Xena had them move all the market vendors into the big show stable.” She said. “She wants you to have food and drink brought in there.”

The seneschal looked exasperated. “Your grace.” He said. “I am fully occupied here in this.. this...” he  exhaled.   “I will try to have something done as soon as I  am done here.”

“Great. Thanks.” Gabrielle peered into the hall, her eyes widening when she saw the collection of people and and animals inside it.  The horse performers were there,  laughing with some of the jugglers  and a couple of men and women who were slim but very muscular and held themselves with unconscious pride.

The hall was almost unrecognizable.  The floor had been covered in straw, and the walls hung with colorful, if wet, hangings.   The circus workers were putting up some seats on one side and there were two wagons parked in the middle of the floor with oxen still attached to them.

It smelled.. well, it smelled like hay, and animals, and wet sheep actually. Gabrielle edged inside to watch, fascinated by all the strange things.

There were poles being set up, a framework she coudln't imagine the use for, and as she watched, two lithe young girls started to stretch themselves out, twisting into exotic, pretzel shapes.  “Wow.”

“Hello.”

Gabrielle turned to find a woman about her age standing next to her, with short, curly black hair and a spattering of freckles . “Oh, hello.” She returned the greeting. “Are you part of the circus?”

“I am.” The newcomer agreed. “My name's Cellius. My father runs the circus.”

“Wow.” Gabrielle extended her arm.  “It's great to meet you. My name's Gabrielle.”

Cellius returned the clasp. “Nice to meet you  too, Gabrielle. Do you live here? In the castle?” She watched Gabrielle nod. “It was nice they let us come inside.  We were so disappointed when it started to rain.”

“We were too.” Gabrielle said. “Everyone was excited to see you. Can you show me around your stuff?” She asked. “I”ve never seen anything like it.”

“Sure.” Cellius waved her forward. “This is a great space for us to perform in.  I’ve never seen a room this big before.”  She walked over to the posts. “This is our trapeze rig.  We hang ropes from it and do flying tricks.”

“Really?” Gabrielle peered upward. “Wow.”

“Yeah, it’s scarylicious.” Her new friend said. “I’ve never done it. I just ride the horses in the ring.” She said. “My father wont’ let me do the flying…  he says it’s too dangerous.”

“I bet.” Gabrielle said. “What’s that there?” She pointed.

“Oh that’s the balancing boxes.” Cellius said. “Borus, there, he and Jac can balance on them all piled up on each other. It’s crazy.  Wait till you see it.”

“You mean they put the boxes on each other?” Gabrielle stared in fascination.  “Oh, wait, I see.” She watched the two men as they started to practice.  One put a ball down, then put a plank on top of it, jumping on the plank and keeping his balance as the ball rolled around. “Oh my gosh.”

“Wait, it gets a lot better. They get up higher than the cart there.”  The woman said. “So.. what do you do here?”

“Me?” Gabrielle tore her eyes away from the performers. “Oh. I’m a storyteller.” She said, honestly.

“You are? That’s great!” Came the surprising answer. “Boy, we haven’t heard too many stories this summer at all – we were hoping we’d get to hear some new ones here at the festival.” 

Well then.  Gabrielle grinned.   “This is going to be a lot of fun.” She said. “I really liked watching the horses yesterday.. are they friends of yours? The riders I mean?”

Cellius was already nodding.  “They usually go a day or two ahead of us, since there’s a lot f them and it’s hard to fit all of us in the same place.. but this place is great.” She turned and spread her arms out. “Look at how high the ceiling is! Its like it was made for us.”

Two of the slim, muscular men came over. “Hey Celli.. who’s your friend?”  One of the asked, giving Gabrielle a smile.  “She’s cute.”

Gabrielle felt the tips of her ears redden.  “Hi.” She stuck her hand out. “I’m Gabrielle.” 

“Boots.” The man clasped her hand and released it.

“She’s a storyteller, Boots.”  Cellius said.

“Yeah?” The man said. “Sweet.. Right bruddah?”  He bumped the other man with his hip. “We like stories.”

“So what is it you do?” Gabrielle asked. Both men were super muscular, and they had tough, calloused hands.  They were both good looking, with dark hair and brown eyes, and they weren’t too much taller than she was.  “Are you the acrobats?”

“We are!”  Boots said.  “We fly on the ropes and bars up there.” He pointed at the frame that was inching it’s way up to the ceiling.  “Boy it’s gonna be great not having to worry about getting wet tonight doing it.”

“You got that right.” The other acrobat said. “Bad enough you slipped out of my grip the last town, Boots. Coulda broke your neck.”  He edged closer to Gabrielle. “Hi there, pretty girl. My name’s Zev.”

“Hi.” Gabrielle still had her eyes focused upward.  “That’s really high.” She looked at the two acrobats.  “I bet it’s going to be a great show.”

“Have you ever seen a circus?” Cellius said.

“No.” Gabrielle shook her head. “I’m from a little village in the hills.  I never saw anything like this. We just got some jugglers sometimes at harvest where I’m from.” She said. “Once some guy came through who could shoot apples off people’s heads with a crossbow. That was kind of exciting.”

The performers all laughed. 

“I’ll show you.”  Boots went over to the half assembled structure and leaped up, catching one of the wooden struts with both hands. He paused, then he pulled himself up and then flipped up side down, leaning his weight on his thighs on the bar and releasing his hands, spreading his arms out in perfect balance.

“Wow.”  Gabrielle said.

Then he rolled over and started to fall, catching himself with one arm and swinging around in a circle, catching the bar with his free hand and bringing his legs up between his arms and the bar, then hooking them over the bar and releasing his grip again to dangle head downwards.

He swung back and forth a few times, then suddenly flipped himself off the bar, tumbling in a somersault and then twisting to land on his feet, spreading his arms up and over his head in a triumphant gesture.

Gabrielle clapped. “That was cool!”

Boots grinned. “Now it’s your turn. Tell us a story.” He said. “You know any good ones?”

Gabrielle felt it was a fair enough deal.  She knew she had a candlemark or so before Xena expected her at court so she found a seat on a barrel and pushed her cloak back, revealing her hawks head tabard and the dark leggings that went with them.  “Okay, sure.”

“Hey, is that the queen’s mark?”  Zev asked.  “Saw it on the guards outside.”

Gabrielle looked down at her chest, then back up. “Yes, it is.” She agreed. “So I’ll tell you a story about how the hawk came to be Xena’s mark, and how she came to be queen here.”

“Hey, local history.”  Boots took a seat on a crate and extended his muscular legs out, crossing them at the ankles. “Go for it, Gabrielle.”

“Always good to know who you’er playing to.” Zev agreed.  “Hey you seen her close up?”

Gabrielle smiled. “Yes.”

“Think you could get us an introduction?”  Boots wiggled his feet at her. 

Gabrielle scratched her nose. “How about you listen to the story first, then we talk about it?” She temporized. “So once upon a time there was a young, fearless warlord…”

**

 

Part 4

Xena prowled through the hall, her eyes flicking right and left as she moved among the now crowded space filled with merchants and their servants trying to find space to spread out their wares.

The storm had worsened outside, and she’d ordered the big firepits lit. Now the huge hall was starting to warm, and around her people were rubbing their hands together and looking more cheerful, oblivious of the tall figure in it’s common cloak in their midst.

“Ah.” 

Xena recognized the voice even from the partial word and she paused, turning to find Stanislaus at her elbow, looking both harassed and anxious.  “Now what?” She stepped aside out of the crowd, into a small alcove where they could hear each other and not impede traffic.

“Your majesty.” Stanislaus said, rubbing his hands together but not from the cold. “His royal highness  Duke Lastay wishes to see you.”

Xena tilted her dark head slightly. “So he has you asking?” She queried . “Someone cut his balls off? Figured he didn’t need them anymore since he got his heir?”

“Ah no..  ah…. No, mistress.”  The seneschal took on a hint of color.  “The good duke merely asked me to inform you if I should see you. He went to your audience chamber, and your suite, and did not find you there.”

“Because I wasn’t.” Xena agreed. “Okay, where’s the little bastard now?” She asked. “He in his bedroom making more kids?”

Stanislaus’ facial color deepened. “Your majesty I hardly know what he is doing in his privacy.” He said. “I believe his lady, in fact, was going to attend the market.  Perhaps his lordship is taking his lunch.”

“Perhaps his lordship is taking his pleasure with a stable goat.” Xena chuckled. “You never know. …” She eyed her seneschal. “You never do know, do ya?  You have any kids?”

Stanislaus’ face went still.  For a long moment Xena thought her longtime lackey was going to actually do something unexpected like yell at her.  The look of mixed embarrassment and suppressed rage was fascinating.  ‘Well?”

Stanislaus looked up at her. “Your predecessor took that choice from me, your majesty. I have no ability to do that.”  He said, stiffly.  “My focus has always been service to the crown.”

Xena paused, and blinked, feeling a sense of honest shock at this revelation.   She belatedly remembered now that she’d inherited the seneschal among a handful of others who hadn’t died in the overthrow.  “The stupid bastard made you a eunuch?” She finally said.  “Really?” She knew her voice sounded as surprised as she felt.

Stanislaus looked horribly embarrassed.  He shifted his eyes to the far wall and half turned away from her. “I had assumed your majesty knew.”

Had she known? Xena stood quietly studying her servant.  Stanislaus was an unremarkable looking man, of mid height and indifferent coloring.  He had never seemed effeminate to her, but he had never seemed overly masculine either, merely world wearied with a tendency to fussiness.

She had known he wasn’t married, but she had assumed he had his dalliances – apparently incorrectly.  “I didn’t know.” She said, quietly, now far more serious.  “Why?”

He glanced up at her, catching the change in mood.  “He was very jealous of his women.” Stanislaus said. “Those of us who were close in the household, he wanted no chance of temptation.”

“What an asshole.”  Xena said, succinctly. 

The seneschal shifted a little, his body straightening. “It was his way.” He said. “There were those who thought perhaps your majesty would do the same, when you took your consort.”

Both of the queen’s eyebrows lifted. “As if them knowing I would not only cut their parts off but disembowel anyone looking crosswise at Gabrielle wasn’t enough?”

Stanislaus lifted his hands slightly, then let them drop.  “Your predecessor was not so accomplished at arms.” He explained.  “He was not a warrior, in truth.  He relied on his generals to carry his banner in the field – unlike yourself.”

‘He was an idiot and he deserved to be spitted on Brendan’s lance as he lay cowering under an oxcart.” Xena replied.  “But I am sorry he damaged you, Stanislaus. You didn’t deserve that.”

Startled, the man’s head lifted and he looked Xena unexpectedly right in the eye. “Mistress.” He murmured after a pause.  “I…. thank you.”

“Mm.”  Xena peered out across the room. “All right, let me go find Lastay and see what he wants.” She looked back at him. “Those circus people settled in?”

His face twitched a little. “Her Grace is entertaining them last I just saw.” He said. “I believe they have what they require.”

“Entertaining?” Xena allowed herself to be sidetracked. “They’re supposed to be entertaining her.”

“She is telling them a story.”  The seneschal clarified.

A story? Why would Gabrielle be telling a bunch of players a story?  “Ah huh.” Xena mused. “What kind of story?”

“I didn’t stop to listen, majesty.” Stanislaus said.  “The young men were, however, quite interested so perhaps it was about you.”

Xena stopped in the middle of taking a breath to answer and cocked her head, wondering if her seneschal was flattering her or trying to piss her off.  

Could go either way really.  Stanislaus had always been funny about Gabrielle, ever since the beginning when she’d started treating her body slave as something more.

Since he’d tried to get rid of her, risking Xena’s wrath in a misguided attempt at what he thought was protecting her, lucky that she’d come to know him well enough to know that. 

His own kind of twisted, skewed bravery.  “Thanks.” Xena said. “Hope I’m naked in it in that case.” She dusted her hands off and eased past him, heading down the steps and towards the door to the stronghold.

“Mistress!” Stanislaus called after her. “The Duke’s quarters are in the tower?” 

Xena lifted a hand and kept going, trotting down the steps and crossing the inner courtyard.   She could hear the buzz of many voices inside the walls, and it made her twitch a little, the smells of so many people and animals drumming against her senses in a not altogether pleasant way.

“Xena.”

Speaking of not altogether pleasant.   Xena glanced to her left but kept walking.   Philtop  angled in and met her, matching her strides.  “Need something?”

“You said you’d give me details this morning.” Philtop had on a cloth of gold tunic, and looked casually elegant in it.  “My men are waiting.”

Xena stopped and turned to look at him.

‘Weather’s coming in.  They’re desperate.”  Philtop said, in brief clipped tones.  “Not to mention nervous as Hades hearing there’s some crazy killer loose in here.”

“You mean another crazy killer loose.”  Xena said. “They already knew about me before they showed up here.”

Philtop’s face twisted into wry grimace. “You were a known risk.”

Xena pointed at a stone bench against the wall. She went over and dropped down onto it, and he followed, sitting down next to her.    She extended one booted foot out, and rested her elbow on her thigh, the dusty leather she was wearing seeming out of place in the silk draped courtyard.

“Now you look like the Xena I remember.”  Philtop said, unexpectedly.  “You wore well, Xena. I think you’re better looking now than you were back then.”  He studied the angular profile, and the pale eyes full of glittering intelligence watching him.

That’s what he’d screwed up on the last time. He’d seen the pretty face, and the strong body and the wildness and figured he could tame all that with a good roll in the hay – after all she was a good looking woman, and he was a very good looking man, and that’s all it had taken with all the others.

Hadn’t figured on that crafty razor brain that seemed to have only gotten sharper over the years, or the fact that this new queen had pretty much literally been raised by wolves and had the morals and manners of one.

By the gods, he’d paid for that mistake.  At the time he’d never really believed Xena was the power behind her own throne, never really believed she was the war leader of the army that had taken over the largest kingdom in the land.

Never really believed a woman could be a warrior until he was being gripped by the neck and held against a stone wall with his feet dangling, powerless against her very unexpectedly much greater strength.

He still bore the scars of that encounter.  He felt like he was playing with fire now again but this time he understood what the risk was.  Looking at Xena now, he could see past the beautiful face, and the raw sensuality of her, and see the powerful, rangy body in it’s worn leathers and the thick, corded wrists that told their own story.

This woman was still a finely honed weapon.  He was now attracted to her for a completely different reason. 

“Give me numbers.” Xena replied in a crisp tone, ignoring the backhanded compliment.  “I need to know how many people you have there, and what the level of supply is. I’m not turning over cartloads of supplies on spec.”

“You don’t trust me, Xena?”  Philtop asked, wryly. “Aw, c’mon now. You don’t still hold a grudge do you?”

“I trust myself. That’s about it.”  The queen answered. “You give me numbers, my supply people will give you enough to last the cold months but nothing fancy. You’ll get what my servants do.”

Philtop leaned back against the wall and studied her profile.  “Rumor has it your slaves do well. “ He said. “We wont starve, anyway.”

“No.”  Xena turned her head to watch as the outer gates opened, and two wagons started rolling in, allowing a burst of weather in with them. “You won’t starve.” She pointed at the doors. “And tell your people just to be glad they’re here eating off my table instead of being packed out of here into that.”

Philtop chuckled, then sobered. “What about the deaths I heard about?”

The queen half shrugged. “Four guys. Fighters.  Looks like they were poisoned.”

“Poisoned?”  Philtop sounded surprised.  “Really?”

“Mm.”

“Someone you piss… no, no point in asking that.” He said. “You piss everyone off.”

Now it was Xena’s turn to chuckle. “I do my damned best to.” She agreed. “Anything else you want? I”ve got things to do, people to threaten, and my consort to find.”

“Ah yes. Your consort.” Philtop seemed amused.  “Did you really have to pick a little shitkicker like that to take to be..

Xena had him up against the wall, her hand twisted in his collar to choke his air off in a flicker of an eye, between one breath and the next, before Philtop could even summon a jerk of his arms or a move towards the long dirk at his belt.

“Morons who are here on my sufferance, begging for scraps should learn to keep their mouths shut.” Xena said, in a low, even voice. “Especially about things that mean a whole lot more to me than their worthless lives.”

Philtop hesitated, then he slowly put his hands back against the wall, knuckles against the stone, as the ice blue eyes even with his glittered with raw, violent intent. “Okay Xena.”  He rasped. “I get the message.”

“Do you?”

“Hey, you’re drawing a crowd here.” Philtop said.  “Might look bad for you to be choking a guest.”

“They’re used to it.”   Xena turned and hauled him away from the wall, using her body weight to swing them both around and releasing him at the top of her arc of motion, sending him sprawling across the stone floor and away from her. “They take bets when I draw my sword which wall I’m gonna hit with the entrails.”

She brushed her hands off on her leggings. “Stay away from me, Philtop.  Get me your figures, and get out before you tick me off enough to forget you’re a guest.”

“Guess I hit a nerve, huh?” Philtop got to his feet.  “Truth hurt, Xena?  You hear everyone laughing about your little ragamuffin?”

Xena studied him, her face impassive. “Ask my army what they think about her.”  She said.  “I never did give a damn what the rest of these frills thought or I certainly woudn’t have slept with you.”

She walked past him and headed towards her original destination, the dancing hall.  Her ears told her when he got up, and they told her when he started after her, then stopped, then turned, and walked away.

“Smart jackass.”  She muttered, feeling the tingle of rage slowly fading, the twitching easing from her hands as her breathing returned to normal.  I”ll shitkicker him right into the gods be damned moat the next time he opens his damn mouth.”

“Majesty?” 

Xena turned to find a short, well dressed man at her elbow.  “What?”

“Pardon me, your majesty, but I am Duke Lastay’s valet.” The man said. “His grace is looking for you.”

Xena suddenly felt a strong desire for Gabrielle’s presence. “Tell him to come to the dancing hall.” She instructed. “I’ll be glad to talk to him there. I”ve got some business I have to take care of.”

“Your majesty.” The man bowed. “I will inform him at once.” 

The man scuttled off, finally leaving Xena in peace to head to the hall, where the doors were open and she could hear the faint sounds of animals, and the hammering of wooden pegs, and in the fringes of that a familiar voice.

With a sense of relief, she bounced up the steps and paused in the open doorway, reviewing the interior.  

They’d made a mess of the hall.  Straw had been hauled in and laid down over the marble and boxes and seats were being constructed around the open center.   There were wagons and animals staked around, the scent of manure and wet straw rising in the air.

A frame had been erected, and she could see ropes crisscrossing the top of it, with men working at the bottom to brace it for, she supposed the acrobats.

And the acrobats themselves, along with what appeared to be other performers were all gathered in one corner, near a supply wagon, where there was a barrel of something there with a short, adorable woman seated wearing Xena’s colors and her heart on one sturdy linen sleeve.

Ragamuffin?  Xena studied her consort.  Gabrielle was dressed in her hawkshead tabard and warm cloth leggings, with sturdy black leather boots on. Her pale hair was caught at her neck in a clasp and the hands which were gesturing to the crowd were well formed, one wrist graced with a twined silver bracelet Xena had given her.

A courtesan she wasn’t, but neither was she scruffy or ill favored even to Xena’s admittedly biased eyes and she decided Philtop was just trying to get under her skin.  Maybe because she’d willingly joined with Gabrielle and spurned his interest?

Maybe.

Maybe he’d heard she’d named Lastay as her heir, and figured to reignite their relationship? Seeing an angle to get more of the power he craved?

Maybe.

Or maybe he was just an asshole.

Probably.

She edged a little further into the hall and leaned against the doorframe, waiting.  After a few heartbeats, Gabrielle’s eyes shifted as if she sensed the queen’s presence, and her face broke into a welcoming grin, changing the tenor of her voice and making her audience turn around to see what she was looking at.

No one, Xena acknowledged, had ever smiled at her like that. Even her troops,  loyal to a man, and the officers she’d fought with always knew her presence could be a dangerous thing to them, if they went cross of her temper, or had failed her in some way.

Gabrielle, on the other hand, was just simply always glad to see her, no matter what the circumstance.   No matter what crappy thing was happening to them, or how hard life was being, Xena knew she could look into those eyes, and see that love shining back at her.

Just like it was now.

“Xena!”  Gabrielle called out. “I was just getting to the good part!  Come listen and meet my new friends!”

She could see the rounded, awed eyes of the circus performers turn her way as she pushed off from the frame and started towards the group, soaking in the notoriety of whatever tale her consort was spinning.

Shitkicker?  Xena settled herself on a box, propping one boot up on a second. “G’wan, muskrat. I can’t wait to her what crazy story about me you’re telling now.”

“Zev.” Gabrielle addressed one of the muscular little boys seated next to her. “Remember that thing you did on the bar? Xena can do that.”

Uh oh.  Xena managed a confident smile as the boy looked around at her in wary skepticism.  Careful what you ask for, Xena.  She spared a brief glance at the frame contraption rising over her head.

“Really, she can.”

**

Xena draped her arm over Gabrielle’s shoulders as they made their way back to the main part of the castle, the queen putting herself between the howling wind and her companion to make sure she didn’t get blown away. “Wow.” She eyed the clouds overhead. “Winter showed up ahead of schedule.”

“Wow is right.” Gabrielle was glad of her anchor. ‘That’s some wind!”

They half ran up the steps and ducked through the hastily opened doors as the guards spotted them and then just as quickly shut the big wooden portals after their passing.

“That was fun though.”  Xena remarked, as she raked her fingers through her hair, scattering droplets of ice and water on the floor.    “More fun than having court.”

“Will you have to do that now?” Gabrielle asked. 

“Nah.”  Xena shook her head.  “I talked to the jackass.  That’s really all that was on the agenda that was slightly important.”

“Oh.” 

“I gotta go find Lastay though.”  Xena admitted, with a sigh. “Find out what he needed.” She looked around. “I’m surprised he didn’t come find me. “ She changed her direction. “C’mon. Let’s go roust him out.”

Gabrielle willingly fell into stride next to her, and they went up the big half circle stairs and turned right, heading down a long, high corridor that led to the one of the six towers lived in by Xena’s most important nobles when they were at court.

A left turn, and several winding corridors in the opposite direction would have taken them to the tallest tower, the guard tower that Xena had once inhabited, and where her sparring chamber still was.   The rooms she’d used were cleaned and set aside, the tower still empty since she and Gabrielle had moved to the former ruler’s palatial quarters in the center of the stronghold.

Gabrielle, in truth secretly missed those upper chambers sometimes.  She loved their new digs, but there had been a solitude about the tower that she’d come to appreciate.  Watching the sun rise over the upper battlements, sipping some hot tea as the world came alive around her was something they really couldn’t do now, since the balcony of their rooms overlooked the central courtyard in full view of pretty much everyone.

Not the same thing.  She’d gotten to understand the value of those quiet moments, between the crazy wars and battles they’d gotten themselves into.

They approached Lastay’s rooms, and his guard drew themselves up when they recognized Xena, ducking their heads in respect as the queen arrived.  “Open up.”  Xena said, briefly.

“Majesty.” The nearer guard quickly worked the latch, rapping his knuckles against the wood surface in a clumsy attempt at warning.

Xena gave him a tolerant look, then shoved past him and bumped the door open with her shoulder, stalking inside the room with Gabrielle at her heels.   Lastay!”

Silence.

“Majesty, his servant told us not to disturb him.” The guard had his head poked in the door and he spoke apologetically.

Xena felt a prickle up her spine. “Yeah.” She said, moving slowly towards the inner doors.  “But chances are he isn’t too involved to ignore my sweet melodious voice.”  She drew a dagger almost without thought, turning it in her hand so the blade pointed backwards laying along her forearm.    Muskrat, stay here.”

Gabrielle slowed, but didn’t entirely halt, her body edging after Xenas as though bound to her with a string.

Xena went to the doors and put her hand on them, then she rapped on them sharply.  Lastay!”

The guard came inside, along with his mate, standing inside the door uncertainly.

Xena cocked her ears, tilting her head to listen. She heard nothing behind the doors, not the merest rustle  of bedclothes, or whisper of a voice.   With a short intake of breath, she worked the latch and shoved the door open, pushing it hard against the wall with a solid crack.

It was dim inside, only the pallid light from the window outlining the interior with dusty gray. But that was more than enough for Xena’s eyes to take in everything. The overturned chairs, the bed with a single figure in it, the second figure on the floor.  

All still.

A candle flared behind her and she almost knocked it out of the air before she recognized the presence at her back and Gabrielle was easing up next to her, holding the candle up high and lighting the room.

“Oh Xena.” Gabrielle said, after a long pause, her voice soft and aching. 

Xena released her breath, uttering a curse on it’s issuing.  She sheathed her dagger and took the candle, taking a step toward the half naked body on the floor and kneeling next to it.  “Ah.” She took the shoulder and turned it over, the light from the candle reflecting on a slack, dead face.

Eyes open and staring.

“What’s going on here?”  A voice sounded behind them.   Gabrielle jerked in surprise and turned, as the doorway was filled with the concerned form of Duke Lastay.

“M.. your Majesty!” He spluttered, obviously very surprised to find the queen in his bedroom.

“C’mon in Lastay.” Xena examined the body. “You know this guy?”

The duke circled around his kneeling liege.  “By the gods! That’s my man  Chilres.”  He turned and looked at the bed. “And my …  “ He picked up the head on the bed by the hair and lifted it. “My good wife’s ladyservant.”

Gabrielle had been standing, astounded, looking from one to the other. “Gosh. I thought..

“Yeah me too.” Xena said, her shoulders straightening as she recovered her composure. “Your people in the habit of sleeping in your bed, Lastay?” She eyed the Duke. “Kinky.”   She turned the body over again and examined the exposed bare skin along his back and shoulders.

The duke drew himself up. “Certainly not!” He said. “We had only just left… my lady wife went to brunch with some of her friends, and I.. well, I went to find you, your majesty! “ He looked at the woman on the bed. “What happened to them?”

Xena rested her forearm on her knee. “What was supposed to happen to you, I guess.” She looked more than troubled. “Poison again.”

Lastay abruptly sat down on the edge of the bed, enough of a soldier to ignore the dead woman lying across it.

“Gabrielle, close the door. “ Xena said. 

“Do you want me to go get Brendan?” Her consort asked.

“No.” The queen shook her head. “I don’t want you out of my sight.”

Gabrielle pondered that in silence, as she went over and closed the door.   She could see the guards on the outside, watching her in nervous silence, but she put them out of her mind as she turned and put her back to the solid wood.

Xena got up and went around the room lightning the candles, and then the brazier.  She put the candle she’d been holding down, then she went to the corner and slowly started moving along the wall, her head tilted slightly.

“What is this, mistress?” Lastay murmured. “I had heard of the deaths, but… surely not really poison?”

“Really poison.”  Xena muttered. “Look at the guy’s neck. In the back. Along the spine. Red mark.  Slightly swollen.  He got hit by a dart made from a hard wood thorn with the underfeathers of a bird tacked around it, shot from a bamboo blowgun.”

Gabrielle and Lastay exchanged glances. Then Gabrielle gingerly knelt, parting the hair on the back of the dead man’s neck and peering at it.  “There it is.”  She said softly, as Lastay came to kneel next to her. “Just like Xena said.”

‘Aye.” The Duke murmured. “But the feathers?”

Gabrielle looked up at her patiently circling friend, then she faintly shrugged.  “Xena, how did you know that?”

“Smell it.”  The queen said, briefly.  “I can smell the bamboo.” She added. “And the feathers.”

Gabrielle looked around the room. She could smell a lot of things, the bedding, the rushes on the floor, the candle wax that was now perfuming the space.

But smelling bamboo and feathers?  “Wow.”

Bigods.” Lastay muttered, under his breath.

Gabrielle got up and cautiously approached her.  She could see Xena was taking careful steps, her eyes fixed on the ground. “What does bamboo smell like?” She asked finally.

Xena held her hand up, then she knelt on the ground. “Bring that candle over here.” She waited, then took the sconce her bedmate quickly retrieved for her and lowered it close to the ground.  Her eyes focused on the dust and the corners of them crinkled a little.

She looked up at the wall. She was almost in a corner of the room, and it was full of shadows here though otherwise the area was empty.  Xena looked back down at the faint footprints she could see in the disturbance of the dust.

Had the attacker stood here, in the darkness?  With the candles out, it would have been very dark indeed – even Xena had mistaken the bodies before she’d looked closely at them. But the thought of the two servants taking this guilty pleasure all unknowing while cold, killers eyes watched them…

Xena’s face twitched, as close to a shiver as she’d allow herself.  She stood and continued her prowl aware of Gabrielle’s quiet form at her heels.

She could see the scuffs, reflecting a little silver in her eyesight as she followed the tracks across the room near the wall, and behind a tall dressing screen. Here, she could see a thick carpet lying along the wall and then, just the other corner. 

No way for the man to escape.   The room had only one door. The outer chamber had two other corridors, but the complex itself had only the front door, or one back door that she knew led down to the kitchens.

Much like she’d had, up in the tower.  Lastay, did you have anyone in the outer chamber?”

Lastay shook his head. “These two.” He indicated the bodies. “Would have been arranging the rooms, and seeing to lunch.” He studied the man on the floor.  “Poor things.  Wanted to get married. They asked my lady wife about it just this morning.”

“And the guards outside.”  Xena murmured.

“As you say, mistress.” Lastay agreed. “Suppose they came in here to..ah..”

“Screw.”  The queen supplied succinctly. “Yeah. Well, there’s a bed here. Probably more comfortable than the stone floor outside.”

Lastay sighed.

“Hey Xena?” Gabrielle had leaned against the wall behind where the queen had wandered. “This is moving.”

Instantly, Xena whirled and almost pounced on her.  “What?” She grabbed Gabrielle’s shoulders and moved her aside. “Get away from that.” She got in front of her and yanked her dagger out again, backing up a few steps as the heavy carpet stirred, and the hard outline of the surface beneath it poked through the draping.

Gabrielle put her hands on Xena’s hips and peered past her elbow.   “What is it?”

“Mistress, shall I call the guard?” Lastay had stood up, moving around the body on the floor and drawing his sword uncertainly.

“Put that away.” Xena stabbed the carpet on the wall with her dagger, and yanked hit towards her viciously.   It ripped off the wall and fell in a tumbling heap, forcing her to hop backwards to avoid it.  Behind the carpet, on the now bare wall was a partially open door.

Bigods!” Lastay edged up next to them. “I never knew that was there!”

“Candle.” Xena held her hand out, grasping the sconce and handing it back to Gabrielle. “Hold that, while I get ready to maybe kill something.”

“Sure.” Gabrielle held the candle away from Xena’s clothing, as the queen reached one booted foot out and kicked the door open, the dagger in her hand out and ready, cocked slightly to one side. She could see Xena’s shoulder muscles tense and felt her heart skip a beat.

The door revealed only a dark opening, though, no rush of assassins.  Xena waited, then she advanced cautiously, her free hand held just in front of her thigh, fingers crooked.

A puff of air came from the darkness, and she opened her mouth a little, tasting it on the back of her tongue.  Damp stone was the prominent scent, but underneath…

Xena went into the opening, the candle’s flicker lighting the space in front of her as Gabrielle followed.  It occurred to her that maybe she should send her bedmate somewhere safe, but then she acknowledged the safest place for her was right where she was.

No one, Xena was utterly convinced, could protect Gabrielle as well as she could.   “All right.”  She eased forward, sweeping her senses to her right and her left as she found herself  in a very narrow space, a slim corridor between the stone of the outer walls and the stone of the inner.   To her right, the corridor ended abruptly. But to the left, it continued on.

Xena could feel a faint draft against her face.  “Let’s see where this goes.”  She started down the narrow corridor turned sideways, since the width wouldn’t allow her shoulders to pass.  “Gabrielle, stay close.”

“Like a tick.”  Gabrielle agreed, holding the candle up high so the light would cast ahead of the queen.  She kept her free hand on Xena’s back, tucking her thumb under the harness her sword was attached to, aware of Lastay tentatively coming in after her.

“I’m coming too, your majesty.”  Lastay said. “Want a piece of whoever was after me and my lady, I do.”

Unseen, since she was in the lead, Xena grimaced, then rolled her eyes. She felt Gabrielle gently tap her spine, and wondered if the little muskrat knew what she was thinking.  

“I sure feel better having you back there.” Gabrielle commented mildly. 

“Why thank you, your grace.” Lastay answered gallantly. “It’s my great pleasure to guard your …ah. Yes.  Back.”

Xena took a nerve steadying breath and continued down the corridor. She couldn’t sense anyone near, though the hint of bamboo and the slight smell of silk were on the air and she could see in the faint light from the candle footsteps in the dust of the stone floor that had brought itself into the room in the fainter scuffs she’d seen.

So. Hidden passages. 

“Did you know about this, Xena?” Gabrielle asked.

Xena pondered the question. Had she?  She remembered scouring the castle when she’d first taken over, security demanded that of course.  She and Lyseus had searched all the corners, looking for loot as well as learning the ins and outs of their new home.

But had she searched for secret passages in the towers? “No.” The queen admitted reluctantly.  “I knew there were some tunnels. From the dungeons to the crypts, and then a long one out to the stables.

“Really?” Lastay asked.  “You know, I think I heard about that one a long time ago.  One of the king’s ancestors was supposed to have abdicated out that way, with a serving wench.”

“My kinda guy.”  Xena commented.  She got to the end of the curve of the tower wall, and found a set of very narrow steps going downwards.   “Well, we know how the bastard got in and out, anyway.” She muttered, starting down them dagger first.

“Mistress.” Lastay spoke up after they’d gone down a few steps. “Why us?”

Xena exhaled.  “Why you.” She swept her eyes over the steps as she walked down them.  Now that she was moving forward, the faint draft was getting a little stronger and she could smell a dank scent of decay. 

It occurred to her that going pretty much alone down a hidden stairwell with who knew what at the end of it wasn’t the smartest thing she ever done.   But really, that’s how her damn life had been going lately hadn’t it?

So why Lastay?  “Probably you because you’re my heir.” Xena stated.   “And before you ask me the most obvious question – “

“Why not you yourself majesty?” Lastay obediently submitted.

‘Why not me?” Xena repeated. “Well, that’s a damn good question you know that, Lastay?  I could think it was because I’m a damn tough kill.” She mused. “Or maybe they’re scared of the muskrat.”

Gabrielle made a small, snorting noise.

“Or maybe they wish to make your life a difficult thing, your majesty.” Lastay offered. “To destroy things that you have.. ah… “

Xena paused on the steps and looked over her shoulder at him in silence for a long moment.  “First two who died were in service to a loyal man of mine. Second two were my own men, now you.”  Her face hardened and tightened into sharper planes.  “Could be, Lastay.”

“What made you think about the bamboo, Xena?” Gabrielle asked, after an awkward silence. “How did you know about that?”

“About the blowguns?” Xena turned and continued walking down the steps. “I’ve used them.”  She craned her head around the curving wall, seeing some light at the end of it.  She figured they were about or just below ground level, and as she thought it she felt like the walls were compressing in on either side of her.

“Ugh.” Gabrielle conveniently articulated her feelings for her.

“Mm.” Xena slowed her pace, as she came around the final curve.  The stairwell ended in a small cove, and there were two doors a right angles to each other. One seemed to go right under the tower, the other.. Xena pictured the structure of the stronghold. The other would go under the banquet hall.

She turned and got the candle from Gabrielle, holding it close to the nearer door, then looking at the leather strap hinges.  She then checked the door going to the banquet hall and grunted.  “This way.”

Gabrielle looked at the hinges herself, seeing nothing more than some hairline cracks in the surface.    She watched Xena put her hand out, then she stopped for no apparent reason and took a step back. “What’s wrong?”

Xena knelt and examined the door latch, extending her head forward a little and inhaling.   Her eyes shifted to one side, and she half closed them, going completely still.

Behind her, Gabrielle and Lastay watched in fascination. 

Then Xena exhaled and stood, backing away from the door.  “I am the target, Lastay.” She said, quietly. “That latch has a pin on it. If I’d opened the door it’d have stuck me.”  The queen’s eyes narrowed. “There’s poison on it. I can smell it.”

“More poison!” Gabrielle inhaled. “Xena, what the heck’s going on here?  Where’s this all coming from?”

“But.. Mistress, how would anyone know you would be here?  You said yourself you have never been in this passage.” The Duke protested.

“Let’s just say I’ve got a feeling.” Xena said, after a long silence. “Let’s go back upstairs. Whoever did this is long gone anyway.” She indicated them forward.  “I need to figure out what’s going on here before more people start dropping dead. “

“Ugh.” Gabrielle said again. “I thought things were going too good.”

“You ain’t kidding muskrat.”

**

Xena stood in the window opening, her arms crossed over her chest as she watched the icy rain come down outside.   Behind her, she could hear Gabrielle working near the fireplace in their quarters, the soft clank of a wooden stirrer against an iron pot sounding oddly loud in the room.

“Are we going to go back down that tunnel, Xena?”  Gabrielle asked. “I wonder how many more of them there are.”

“Too many, probably.” Xena said, still watching the rain. “I’m betting I could go chasing down those damn things until spring and not find what I’m looking for.”

“What are you looking for?” Gabrielle came over with a bowl, and offered it to her. 

Xena took it, turning and sitting down on the window sill and almost immediately regretting it since the stone was cold enough to immediately chill her ass.  She stood back up and bumped Gabrielle back towards the fireplace.   “I don’t know what I’m looking for.” She admitted, as she sat down on one of the two backless padded benches on either side of the fire.  “I think someone wanted me to go chasing down that hallway today though.”

Gabrielle took her own bowl and sat down across from the queen. “Someone who’s trying to hurt you?”

Xena nodded, spooning up a bit of stewed duck and putting it into her mouth.  “Someone who knows me well enough to know I’d head down that thing by myself and not send my army down in front of me.”

“We were with you.”

Xena looked at her drolly.

“Well, we were.”  Gabrielle said.  “But… why not send the army down there now, Xena?  Have them go down and like lock up those tunnels. I don’t like the idea of them maybe being under here  She looked around the room.  “That whole thing was creepy.”

Uhng.”  Xena poked in her bowl.

“I think the Duke was freaked out.”  Gabrielle dunked a bit of bread into her stew and bit the end off of it.  “I heard him telling his guys to bring up some wood and seal that door up in his bedroom.”

“I’m sure it originally was there so they could escape from rampaging slaves.”  Xena remarked. “The door I mean.  Bet that door I stopped at goes under the banquet hall, then meets up with the big tunnel I knew about leading to the stables.”

“Were they all scared of that before?”  Gabrielle asked.

“Bregos got ours to nearly overthrow the damn castle, so sure.”  Xena said. “Remember?”

Gabrielle did remember.  “But..  I never heard about those tunnels.” She said. “When I first came here. I would have figured people would have known about them to get out.”

“You didn’t spend that long downstairs.”  The queen stated.  “Anyway, no. This after noon we’re gonna go to the show and pretend nothing’s wrong.”

“Oh.”

“The last thing I need is for everyone here to lose their minds.”  Xena said. “So you and I will be enjoying our new friends in the circus and then hosting a big dinner tonight.”

Gabrielle studied her bowl. “Are you worried about that?” She looked up at the queen. “Something could happen to the food.”

Xena licked her lips.  “Yeah, I thought of that.” She said. “I’m going to gamble on the fact that whoever this is has an exact target. They’re not looking to poison an entire banquet hall just to croak me.”

“I could stay in the kitchen and watch.”

“No.”  The queens’ response was immediate and sharp. “You stick by me.”

“Xena.”

“I mean it.” The pale blue eyes fixed on her “If they went after Lastay to hurt me, what do you think something happening to you would do?”

Gabrielle got caught with her spoon halfway to her lips. She set it back down in the bowl as she watched the shifting expressions on Xena’s face.  There was a haunting fear there that surprised her, and she was at a loss to know what to say.

Xena’s eyes dropped. “Anyway. “ She said. “You stick by me. Hear?”

“Okay.”   Gabrielle put her bowl down. “Its not like I don’t like doing that anyway. Staying near you, I mean.” To illustrate the fact she got up and went over to Xena’s bench, claiming a corner of it and sitting back down next to the queen, pressing up against her. “See?”

The queen smiled briefly.

Gabrielle went back to her lunch.  “In that case you know, Xena, I’m going to make sure that we both have the same stuff.”  She ate a carrot. “Because I want whatever happens to you, to happen to me too.

Xena stopped chewing. She turned her head and looked at her bedmate, a bit of scallion sticking out of her mouth.  Hastily she sucked it in and swallowed it. “What?”

“What what?”  Gabrielle kept her eyes on her duck. 

“What in the Hades was that supposed to mean?” Xena asked. “Did you really mean to say you’d eat poison codfish and die an agonizing death right alongside me? Cause that’s sure what it sounded like.”

Gabrielle blinked mildly at her. “Yes.” She watched the queen stare at her. “Xena.” She put a hand on her friend’s arm. “C’mon.  You’re everything to me. You know that. “  She studied the queen’s expression. “I love you.  What do you think life would be for me without you?”

Xena scowled. “A lot less dangerous and scary.”

“Xena.”

The queen dropped her head, then tilted it back up, looking at Gabrielle from between her disheveled bangs in an oddly adolescent way.  “Sorry muskrat. I’m not used to people declaring eternal devotion to me and actually meaning it.  Takes some getting used to.”

“I really mean it.”

The blue eyes softened and gentled. “I know you do.”  Xena sighed. “I don’t want anything happening to either of us, Gabrielle. I want to live a long, hedonistic life with you.” She shifted a little. “I never had to worry about that before.”

Gabrielle merely leaned against her, resting her head on Xena’s shoulder.

“I always figured one of these days one of those damn nobles would get me.”  Xena said. “Before you showed up I think I was getting to the point of not caring if they did.”

The quiet words worked a small kind of magic on her heart. “I know how that feels.”  Gabrielle said, after a pause. “The sevenday before the slavers took us I over heard my father telling my mother he’d given me in marriage to a neighbor of ours.”  She watched the flames in the fireplace. “He was a big man, drunk most of the time, who used to beat his kids and his animals. His wife had died a few moons back having a child… the midwife said he strangled her when he found out it was a girl, not a boy.”

Xena remained quiet, her head cocked slightly in a listening attitude.

“I felt like that, you know, Xena?”  Gabrielle murmured. “I thought about what that would be like.. and how I wished and wished something would happen to change my life and then…”

“And then a couple days later it did.”

“I wondered if the gods heard me.”  Her bedmate nodded. “And the raiders were their way of answering me.. like they were saying  ‘that’s what you get for asking for things you don’t deserve.”

“Ah.”

Gabrielle was silent for a few moments. “And then I met you.”

Xena exhaled. “And then you met me.”  She repeated. “That should have sealed that idea for ya.”  She let her head rest against her consorts. “Were you really going to sit there and let that bastard marry you?”

Gabrielle sat there and thought about that. On the surface of it she’d started to say that she hadn’t a choice in it, but something made her wonder, knowing herself now a little better, whether that was really true or not. 

She remembered being angry.  She remembered telling Lila she’d rather be dead than married to him.

But would she have done anything about it?

“I didn’t want to.”  She finally said. “I just don’t know what I would have done that wouldn’t have made my life worse.” She looked at her hands, curled around the bowl.  “I didn’t think I had any choices, really.”

Xena put her bowl down and put her arm around Gabrielle.  “Those bastards did you a favor.” She remarked.  “Did me a favor. “ She added. “Still glad I killed em.” She pondered a while. “I think you’d have ended up offing the swine.”

“Our neighbor?”

“Mm.”  The queen nodded. “You’re a fighter, Gabrielle. It’s in ya, or else you’d never have survived meeting me.”

And that, Gabrielle knew, was true if nothing else was. A meek lamb would never have lived through the crucible that was the love they’d built between them.  Would never have survived the trials they’d been through in the relatively short time they’d been together.

Would never have ripped the cheek out of a Persian princess, or stood on a burning platform fighting to save a friend.

Courage was such a funny thing.   “I’m glad.”  Gabrielle sighed. “I think we’re both pretty good at fighting. So we’ll get through this whole scary thing and find the guy who’s doing it, right?”

“One way or another, we  will.”  Xena gave her a hug.  “Got more of that duck?  At least I can eat my fill of that and not worry about keeling over.”

Gabrielle got up to fill their bowls, glad they had a few candlemarks together before the show and intent on making the most of them.

**

Xena studied the two gowns in the casement, evaluating the stiff, silk fabric.  “I want a watch on Lastay’s quarters.”  She said, to the patiently waiting Brendan standing behind her.  “But don’t’ make it obvious.   Put the men in his colors.”

“Aye.” Brendan agreed.  “Walled up that entrance, he did.   We went over the tower like, t’see if we could find more, but nothing.”

“Do me a favor? While we’re at the show do the same in here.” Xena said. “I’ve looked, but it never hurts to have two sets of eyes.”

“Aye.” Her captain said.

“I’ve got the muskrat putting her chainmail on.”  Xena turned, putting her hand son her hips. She was already in her house armor, waiting to slip the ornate robes over it.  “One less chance to take.”

Brendan thumped his chest, a faint slithering clink sounding beneath his hawkshead tabard. “Got mine on, as to the rest of the men, mistress.   Those darts were aimed pretty good though.”

“Mm.” Xena had to agree.  Between head and hands, they had enough exposed for someone with that kind of skill to get them.  “After the show tonight, when the castle quiets down, I want every man we’ve got doing a sweep front to back of this place.  Dungeons, cellars, the whole thing.”

Brendan nodded in emphatic agreement.  “We keep it quiet now.”

“Yes.”  The queen said.  “Let them relax. Think we’re not looking.” 

“Xena, can you help me tie this?” Gabrielle came in, her body covered in her armor.   She came over and let Xena straighten the links across her shoulders. “Hi Brendan.”

“Your grace.”  Brendan inclined his head.   “Mistress,  I can see the bit about letting them stew, but …  by the gods.  If whoever it is hits again… “

“I know.”  Xena settled the metal across her bedmate’s skin, pulling the back of the collar up and tucking it around her neck.  “But I figure they’re stashed away right now and if we go after them, people are gonna get croaked anyway.”

Mmph.” Brendan grunted. “Basterd.”

“Or bastards.”  The queen pondered making her beloved muskrat wear a leather hood and gauntlets to the show.   Would she be forgiven for that?

Gabrielle reached up and touched the queen’s armor, admiring the supple hide and the fit, which was snug enough to show off Xena’s body without being overly obvious about it.

“You like my old rags, muskrat?” Xena asked, with a smile.

“I do.”  Her consort nodded. “I think you look really good in this.”

The queen’s smile broadened.  She turned and snagged the smaller of the two gowns from the cabinet and draped it over Gabrielle’s shoulders, pulling it around her. “Well, unfortunately these sexy duds have to be covered in frills tonight. 

Buh.” Gabrielle fluffed the arms out. “Glad it’s cold outside.”

“Me too.” Xena agreed.  She turned to find Brendan watching her, an indescribable expression on his face. “What?”

“Mistress?” He started.

“What was that puss for? Am I growing a horn?”  The queen tapped her forehead.   She lifted her own overlay up and swung it around her body.

“No mistress.” Brendan said. “Any other orders? I’m goin out to gather the men and give em the word.  Most of the scouts, eh, they’re already roaming with their ears out.”

Xena finished tying the front of her robe.  She glanced in the mirror to check the effect, watching the fabric drape over her leathers with less than natural curves.   “Nah.  Let’s just meet up after the party ends,” She glanced at her captain. “Round up some of the grooms, and the cooks. They know more nooks and crannies than you will.”

“Mistress!”

Xena cocked an eyebrow at him and pointed at the door, waiting for him to leave before she returned her attention to her reflection.

Well, wouldn’t be the first time she wore armor to the dinner table.   She had, in fact, for the first two years after she’d begun her reign, never been seen without her arms and armor, until the worst of the rebellions were quelled and she felt comfortable walking across the dining room knowing there was only a decent chance of getting a knife in her back rather than an absolute one.

And if it got hot in the hall, she could take the damn gown off.   Xena smiled, cheered up at the thought.  “You ready to dance with me tonight?” She asked Gabrielle, who had seated herself on the dressing trunk and was pulling on her soft, indoor slippers.

Gabrielle glanced up at her, with a brief grin.  “Well, I’ll try.” She said. “I’m still pretty bad at it.”

Xena went over and sat down next to her, bracing her hands on the bench behind her and extending her legs out across the floor.  “I’m ticked off, muskrat.”

Gabrielle finished putting her shoes on and leaned her hands on the benches surface.  “Why?” She asked. “I mean… I guess because of the killings, right?” She looked at her companion’s profile, which was somber.

“Not really.”  Xena answered. “Oh, I’m not happy about that, but I’m ticked off for a lot more selfish reason.” She studied her bare feet.  

Gabrielle waited.  She’d learned enough about Xena by now that she knew there were times when prompting wasn’t needed from her.  Just letting Xena find the words and find the time to speak was enough.

“Anyway.” The queen shook her head after a minute of silence. “I think I just need a drink.”  She remained sitting there though, as the wind rattled against the windows.

Gabrielle got up and fetched the queen’s slippers,  lined and padded indoor shoes that she loosened the laces of before she knelt at Xena’s feet and put them on.  “You have such pretty feet.” She commented, rubbing one of the her powerful ankles.

“You really think so?”  Xena mused. 

“I do.”  Her consort confirmed. “They have such a pretty shape.” She touched the arched instep. “And you have cute toes.”

“Maybe I should get them to paint my toenails pink.”

Gabrielle looked sharply up at her, eyed widening.

“Blue?” 

The blond woman made a face.

Xena chuckled wryly.  “C’mon, my friend.” She got up and offered Gabrielle a hand to her feet.  “Let’s go get as much enjoyment as we can out of this show.  I have a feeling it’ll be our last fun for a while.”

They walked together to the door, detouring only to let Xena pick up her sword in it’s sheath. The queen settled the blade against her shoulder, and kicked the door open, heading for the noise of the hall.

**

The dancing hall was stuffed full.  Gabrielle was very glad she was with Xena, content to tag along behind the queen’s tall form as she swept through the hastily opened path in front of her towards the prominently mounted high back chairs that had been put there for them to sit in.

She got her fingers tangled in the belt Xena was wearing, feeling the faint pressure against the back of her knuckles as the queen took a breath and pulled the fabric tight.  She rubbed her thumb against the surface, aware of the resistance of the leather armor under the silk.

She was glad of it. Glad of her own armor under the pretty fabric.  She knew Xena could fight like crazy, but to her mind, when you had creepy people around shooting little darts, the more stuff between that and your skin the better.

“Hang on, muskrat.”  Xena continued plowing through the crowd.

“Hanging.”

There were benches built on the stepped platforms where all of the nobles were seated,  a veritable cornucopia of rich fall colored silk and gilt. Below that, all the visitors and merchants were in standing stalls, and among them were servants passing trays of ale and bread around.

Opposite them was the show area, with it’s wooden framework for the acrobats and the cleared space underneath filled with straw and sand for the horses and other animals that were part of the circus.

The walls of the dancing hall rose around them, and the tall, vaulted ceiling echoed back voices and the sounds of the performers getting ready, soft clacks and booms, and the whisper of hands dusting themselves off.

The performers themselves had retired to several of the chambers just inside the door of the hall, where in it’s other life nobles would be leaving cloaks and weapons before surrendering themselves to a night of dancing and where the formal musicians would have stayed, ready to provide the music for them.

The high, narrow windows were open despite the weather, bringing in a draft of cold, wet air that stirred the straw and brushed away the worst of the smells, drawing even the rich pungent smoke of the oil lamps up and out into the courtyard.

Despite the storm, spirits seemed high. It wasn’t often this kind of entertainment came to Xena’s stronghold, and certainly even rarer that the queen would allow the taking over of the grandest hall in the realm for a performance.

Ale and wine were flowing, there were buskers and musicians wandering through the crowd strumming sitars and blowing on pipes, and the result was cheerful cacophony and an air of expectation.

Gabrielle almost felt like she could forget the troubles they were having, as she and Xena climbed up to the royal platform and approached their seats. 

Lastay and his wife were there, seated in regular sized chairs to one side of Xena’s throne.  They were smiling, but Gabrielle noticed how they watched the crowd carefully, and that Lastay had two men at arms standing just behind them.

They brightened as Xena arrived and slung her sword over the back of her chair, settling into it and leaning her elbows on the arms.   Gabrielle took the next seat over, and then Brendan arrived, coming to stand quietly behind the queen’s right shoulder.

“Mistress.” Lastay greeted her.

“Your majesty, your grace.” His wife stood, and curtsied, then resumed her seat.

Xena eyed her, then glanced at Gabrielle. “Did we..

“Yes.”  Gabrielle smiled, correctly interpreting the question.   She got up and knelt, taking a package out from under her chair and straightening. “Here you go.” She offered it to the queen, who merely hiked a dark eyebrow at her.

Gabrielle pulled the package back to her then she turned and went over to where Lastay and his wife were sitting. “Xena and I.” She looked back at the queen who was studying ceiling in apparent fascination.   “Thought we would get you a little gift for your new baby.”  She offered the neatly wrapped packet.

“Oh!” The woman took the package. “Thank you your grace!”  She looked at the queen. “Thank you your Majesty!”

Xena rolled her head to one side and gave her a wry grin.  

Lastay’s expression relaxed, and he patted the wrapping. “Open it, my dear. I am sure it must be wonderful.”

Gabrielle knew, having been in the castle for some time now, and having not quite been born yesterday, that even if the packet had held a folded moldy goatskin that hadn’t been cured that both her lover’s heir and his wife would declaim it wonderful.

It’s just how that worked.   But as the duke’s wife opened the gift and unfolded it, she could see by the shifts in both expressions and the soft indrawn breath of hers, that in fact, it was something they actually liked.

‘We had them put your arms on it.”  Gabrielle said, with a touch of diffidence.  “I thought the colors were pretty.”

Xena was craning her neck to look at it, the queen’s own brows edging up. 

Tis beautiful.”  Lastay said, touching the soft fabric.  “I’m sure our son will thrive, wrapped in it” He gave Gabrielle a genuine smile. “My great thanks, your grace.” He left just enough pause in to show that he knew who the gift really came from before he turned and ducked his head in Xena’s direction. “Your majesty.”

Xena was resting her chin on her hand, watching them. “She knows how to pick em, huh?” She acknowledged the obvious. 

“And so do you, your Majesty.”  Lastay inclined his head gracefully.

Xena’s face twisted into a rakish grin.  She shifted in her chair and turned to regard the crowd again, her eyes raking over it and then the motion stilling as she caught sight of Philtop entering with his retinue.

They seemed in high spirits as well, which seemed a little strange to her.  She hadn’t thought her terms to Philtop were something he’d celebrate.    She watched the prince lead his people to a narrow bench and stood as they arranged themselves, regarding the hall with a bemused expression.

Xena studied his profile.  It had gotten a little squarer, and harder over the years, not the pretty boy she remembered but a man grown into his full maturity.

He was still compellingly good looking.  Xena spent a moment wondering why in the Hades he hadn’t married anyone. Surely there hadn’t been any lack of willing women.

She certainly didn’t flatter herself thinking he’d pined for her more than a candlemark – at least more than a candlemark after he’d been able to piss without screaming given what she’d done to him.   Certainly he liked women, since he’d come after her with clear intent.

“Mistress.” Brendan came around the chair. “Just got the signal. Men’r ready.”

“Good.”  Xena turned her attention back to the cleared space ahead of her. “Let’s get this show on the road.” She said. “Tell them to get going.”

“Aye.” Brendan slipped behind Gabrielle and trotted down the platform, heading for the back chambers.

“Would you like some wine?”  Gabrielle had returned to her seat and climbed into it, settling the folds of her gown around her knees. “I think they have some of that one you like over there.”

Xena caught sight of Philtop making his way across the hall towards her and she sighed. “Yeah, get me a damn pitcher. It’s gonna be one of those nights I think.”

There was no need for her consort to move, the wine master had made his way over to the royal platform and was climbing up onto it, carrying three wineskins strapped across his body like a moving tavern.

He reached them and bowed. “Your Majesty, I am at your service on this festival day. What can I provide to you?  I have three of my best vintages here.” He stood aside as an alert server came up and placed a silver tray down with two of Xena’s crystal goblets on them.

They were pretty.  Silver rimmed with bases stained with a rare and rich purple and Xena’s hawkshead chiseled into the glass to complete the work they had been given to her as a gift just after she’d returned from defeating the Persians from the port city she’d ended up saving.

Gorgeous.  “Surprise me.”  Xena indicated the glasses.  “How’s business?”

oh, Majesty.” The vintner expertly poured a rich red wine into the cups,  the color of blood and even a little of the consistency of it as he swirled the cup and offered it to her. “Business is very well indeed.   Many casks of this year’s pressings are already purchased, and taken.

“You’re saving some for me for the winter, right?” Xena took a sip of the wine, her eyes widening a little as it’s faintly spicy, rich taste filled her mouth.  “That’s good.”

“The best is always saved for you, Majesty.” He smiled.  “This will get better as it ages over the winter, shall I have some sent for you for your table?”

Xena extended the glass over and held it as Gabrielle took a sip. “Like that, muskrat?”

Gabrielle licked her lips, blinking a little. “Wow.”

“That’d be yes.”  Xena returned her attention to the vintner. “And pour a cup for my adorable friend here.”

He bowed and complied, filling the other goblet up and then moving on to serve Lastay and his lady.  Xena took another swallow of the wine, and wished she could just take the whole skin of it.  She felt like making it a night of indulgence, enjoying all the fruits of everyone else’s labors but she knew she wasn’t going to end the night in a drunken stumble to her rooms.

She had things to take care of.  Xena glanced at Gabrielle, who was drinking the wine with visible delight.  And anyway, Gabrielle probably wouldn’t like her much, drunk.  She wasn’t fun.  She was mean, and rowdy unlike her consort who got silly and amorous when she was tipsy.

Last time, in fact, Gabrielle had written a poem to Xena’s navel when she’d had a cup too many.

That had been a unique experience.  Xena swirled her wine and sipped it, content to keep her consumption low.

“Xena.”  

“Ah. Into every life a little horse crap must fall.” Xena turned her head to see Philtop at the bottom of the platform, being prevented from coming any further by her guard.   “Now what?”

He looked at the guards, than at her, lifting both hands slightly.

“Let him up.” The queen sighed.

Philtop climbed up to her level and approached.   He was wearing a thick, lined cloak and had changed into a snug black velvet tunic with equally snug leggings and leather boots with the tops folded over.

He was wearing a sword, and a dagger at his belt.   Xena didn’t feel threatened, but she was glad she had her own blade at her back because the fact was, you just never knew.   “What’s your problem?” She asked. “Don’t like your seats?”

Gabrielle leaned on the chair arm closest to her, but remained quiet.

The’yre fine.” Philtop said. “I told my vassals of your offer, and they are satisfied with it.”

Xena was surprised. “Really.”

“I guess they heard your gally sluts ate all right.” Philtop shrugged. “In any case, the only question they had was..

Just then, a loud noise made them both look up, turning to the show floor to see a huge copper colored horse  come exploding out of the holding area in the back, and plunge across the floor kicking it’s legs out viciously.

Xena didn’t even stop to think. In a heartbeat she was up and out of her seat and vaulting over the stalls to land on the straw, powering past the scrambling merchants who were bolting away from the space as the animal struck out wildly.

She was faster than the grooms, faster than the circus people who came flying out of their staging room, fast enough that she was able to get to the horse before the horse reached the crowd and leap up to grab his headstall, hanging on with both hands as she pulled his head down with her body weight.

She was jerked around like a rag doll.  The horse was huge, bigger even than her stallion Tiger and he was out of his mind with anger as he bared his teeth and tried to bite her.

She bashed her head into his nose. “Cut that out ya bastard!”  She yelled over his scream, hanging on as he reared and took her with him, his hooves missing her legs by a cat’s whisker.  “Everybody stay the Hades back!  That means you, Gabrielle!”

 She lifted her legs up and got them around his neck, hanging on under his head as he landed on all four hooves and hopped, unable to buck again since her weight was pulling his head down.

Spittle flew and spattered her face, but Xena grimly hung on, releasing her legs and landing back on the straw.  “Easy.” She commanded, in a low, firm voice.

The horse shied back, but she hung on, and was swung through the air again. 

“She’s out of her mind.” Philtop started to head down to the straw, only to find himself hauled to a stop from behind. “Hey!”  He twisted around, to see the Xena’s little blond right behind him, grabbing his cloak.  “Stop that!”

Gabrielle dug in her heels. “Don’t go down there.” She warned, yanking him back wards with all her strength.   “You’ll just get in the way.”  She added.  “She knows horses.”

“Let me go you..” Philtop reached for his sword, only to find three in his face, as Brendan and the guard grabbed him. “Okay.” He dropped his hand to his side. “Sorry. Didn’t know you all felt so strongly about the little scut.”

Unlike Xena, Brendan didn’t hold back. He slapped Philtop across the face with his sword and then cocked his fist to strike him.  “Pig.”

Philtop grabbed his face. “You dare hit me.”

Brendan stared him down. “Think that silver toke means aught to me?  Ye’re all worthless frills fer my eyes. Only one hand owns me and it’s surely isn’t yours.”

‘Listen” Gabrielle stepped forward. “I don’t’ know what your problem is, but you’d better leave. You’re going to piss Xena off.”

Philtop glared at her. “I’m not afraid of her.”

“Then you really are dumb.”  Gabrielle responded mildly.  “Or you just don’t care if you get hurt or dead.”

“Do you?”  Philtop asked her, addressing her directly.

“Care if I get hurt or killed?” Gabrielle repeated. “Not if it’s in her service.”

Whatever Phlitop had expected, apparently it wasn’t that.  He looked uncertainly at the pale green eyes in the rounded face of Xena’s little dog and suddenly realized he’d misjudged her.

Xena caught sight of something going on up on her platform, but she had her hands full and one quick glance showed Gabrielle standing to one side, unharmed  so she returned her attention to the horse.  “Now.” She looked him in the eye.  Wanna be dinner?”

The horse snorted, then his nostrils flared out as he sucked in her scent.

The circus people had reached them by now.  The first one to arrive held his hands up. “Are you all right, m’lady?”

Xena turned her horse spittle covered face towards him and gave him a wry look.  “Peachy. You?” She turned back and released one hand off the horses headstall, patting him on the cheek instead. “Easy now, big boy. Don’t’ make me get rough with you. Ya won’t like it.”

Behind her, she heard a sharp sound, then a rattle.    She fought the desire to turn around again. “What happened to this horse?” She asked sharply. 

“Don’t’ know.” The circus handler had just come up, breathing hard.  “Was just getting his harness ready and the next thing I knew he was going crazy.”

Xena turned the horses head, walking around in a circle so she could see what was going on behind her.  Philtop was gone, she could see his cloak disappearing as he headed towards the rest of his group. Brendan was standing in front of her throne, and Gabrielle was standing next to him.

The rattling had been Philtop going down the stairs, apparently. 

“I’ve got him, m’lady.” The circus man came forward, extending his hand towards the horse. “Many thanks.. your quick action saved many a bruise I’m thinking.”

Xena pretended she didn’t hear the siblent whisper behind him revealing her identity.   She scratched the horse on the nose and stroked his neck, flicking her eyes over his body to see if he’d been hurt.   He was in good condition, but she saw suddenly a bit of blood against the bright hair.  

She handed the headstall off to the circus man and moved down the horses side. He had a huge body and a very broad back but at the point of his left rear hip was a long, wicked slice half hidden in thick hair.  “He’s cut.”

The circus man hurried around to look. “Cut? What?  He doesn’t even have his har.. by the gods, look at that!”

Xena studied the wound. “Dagger.” She said. “With a blood channel.”  She looked around. “Someone did that on purpose.”

The horse stamped it’s hind foot, sending a tiny spray of blood flying.   Xena turned, and scanned the crowd, finding three of her men nearby, hands on weapons. She jerked her chin at them, and they came forward.   “Search the stock area.” She said. “Someone knifed that animal.  People could have died.”

“Majesty.”

“I’ll check.” The man carefully turned the horse. “Hey, maybe it was an accident.  Some of our riggers have blades like that. C”mon boy.”

A page came forward, offering Xena a towel.   She took it, standing in the middle of the show area, feeling suddenly as though time had been turned back to the day she’d taken the castle.

When everyone in the room was an enemy.

**

A Queen for All Seasons

Part 5

“What happened?”  Xena snapped, as she got back up onto the platform. “What did that bastard do?”  She swept her eyes over the area, then refocused them on Gabrielle.  “Well?” She looked at Brendan. “Go see what they found in that stall. I want to know who stabbed that horse.”

“Mistress.” Brendan touched his chest and headed off down the steps.

Xena turned to her consort. “What happened?” She repeated. “I saw him up here making trouble.”

Gabrielle took her arm and patted it. “It’s okay, Xena.” She said. “He was just going to run down there when he saw you wrestling with the horse, and I stopped him.”

‘Yeah?”  Xena carefully examined both seats, before she plopped down in hers, and glared out at the hall.  After a second, she turned her head and looked at her consort. “You did what?”

Gabrielle sat down next to her. “I stopped him from running down to where you were. When you were wrestling with the horse.”

“I wasn’t wrestling with the damn horse.”  Xena said. “I was trying to control him and keep him from killing himself or hurting someone out there.”

“I know. That was so cool and brave of you.”

Xena eyed her. “It was idiotic and stupid of me. That thing could have crushed me to death.” She informed her consort.  “You should have hauled me back on my ass when I took off.  Don’t let me do things like that, muskrat.  It would be embarrassing as Hades to croak under a pile of horsecrap, you know?”

“But it was so cool and brave.” Gabrielle disagreed.  “Everyone thought so, Xena. They were all saying that in the next row. Anyway.” She put a hand on the queen’s arm, feeling the tension under the skin.  “Philtop was going to run down there and I grabbed him by the cloak and stopped him.”

Xena shifted in her seat, giving the impression of a large, discontented cat.  “Why’d you do that, muskrat?”

“Stopped him? I figured he was going to just get in the way. Or get hurt.”

A faint twinkle appeared in the queen’s eye.  “Why’d you stop him?” She repeated. “That might have been as entertaining as those damn jugglers.”

“Xena.”

“Gabrielle.”  Xena accepted the towel on of the servers hurried over with, and wiped her hands with it.   “You did the right thing.” She said, after a moment.  “Stupid bastard probably would have distracted me and scared the damn horse and we’d both have ended up hurt.”

Her consort looked pleased at the words. “He didn’t like it.”

“Screw him.”  The queen tossed the towel at the servant. “Mindless jackass.”

“So then he said something mean and Brendan hit him.”

The queen’s motions stopped, and she turned to look at her consort. “Something mean about you?” Her voice changed, all the banter leaving it, and the tone altering to soft, almost breathless seriousness. “What did he say?”

Gabrielle felt herself captured in that suddenly intense look.  “Yes.  Just some silly  stuff, like the other servants used to say when I first got here.” She answered, unable to do anything but be honest.  “But it’ okay, Xena. I think he’s just really jealous of me or something.

“I don’t really give a crap what the reason is.  I’m gonna kill him for it.”  The queen answered, still in that soft, dangerous tone. “He has no right to come in here and live off my good will and spout out bullshit about you.”

“Xena.”  Gabrielle’s voice dropped to a gentle murmur, seeing the clean, hard rage in those pale blue eyes. She realized that Xena was truly angry, not just blowing off steam like she sometimes did, and talking loud.

The queens’ body had tensed, and her fingers were slowly closing and unclosing.

Really, truly angry, like she’d been the night she’d killed Toris.  Gabrielle remembered seeing that same, cold look on her face, and she felt a shiver go down her own spine.  She closed her fingers around the queen’s arm, squeezing it gently.

“Maybe he’s behind the poisoner.” Xena said.  “Maybe this is a power play.  Undermining me, undermining you…”

“Is he smart enough for that?” Gabrielle wondered. “He seems kind of dumb to me.”

Xena’s lashes fluttered closed, then back open, and the rage faded a little.  “He’s not stupid.”  She answered briefly. ‘What he does, he does for his own reasons.”

“Well, really, Xena.”  Gabrielle watched the tall body shift a little, and relax, and she followed suit. “Then he’s sort of just a jerk, you know?  Its like he thinks I’m a joke or something.’

Xena grimaced at the truth in the statement.  “I think he thinks I just named you my consort while I waited for a real man to come along.”  She answered honestly.  “Me not wanting a man is outside his mental reach.”

Gabrielle fell uncomfortably silent. 

Xena’s eyes took on a slightly faraway look.  “My picking a consort for love rather than political expediency wasn’t something anyone expected either.”  She mused.  “They never really did get me.”

Gabrielle just quietly watched her, unsure of what to say to that.

The queen leaned to the side and unexpectedly bit Gabrielle’s knuckle, where it was tensed around her arm.   “Yeah.” She traded the nibble for a lick, then looked up from between her disordered bangs. “He is a jerk.” She acknowledged. “And knowing I fell for him embarrasses the Hades out of me so I really just want to kill him on general principals, yknow?”

“Oh.”  Gabrielle turned her hand over, and cupped the queen’s chin with it, unable to look away from those compelling eyes. “Well he’ll be gone soon, right?” She could feel the muscles in Xena’s throat moving, and it belatedly occurred to her that everyone in the room was probably staring at them.

“I sure hope so.” Xena responded mildly, winking at her and then straightening up and turning back to the show.  “For his sake.” She gave a signal to the guard standing next to the show floor. “Let’s get this moving!”

Gabrielle leaned on the arm of her chair, savoring the little tingles still running up and down her spine.  Her chair, and Xenas were right up next to each other, and she could, if she wanted to, reach over and tuck her hand inside the queen’s elbow.

She wanted to.  The feel of Xena’s warm skin under it’s covering of silk settled her, and she was able to focus on the performers, who were now somewhat timidly coming out into the room and starting to get ready.

For all her bravado,  Philtop bothered her.  It bothered her that he felt he could say mean things about her, and his obvious disdain made her uncomfortable. 

It bothered her that Xena admitted to liking him, in a way Gabrielle felt there hadn’t been many the queen had felt like that about.   That she’d wanted him. That he was still very good looking.

It bothered her that the thought of Xena killing Philtop just because he annoyed her wasn’t nearly as troublesome to her as it should have been.    Gabrielle studied the end of the chair arm a moment, tracing a whorl on it with one fingertip.

She felt silly, thinking of stuff like that.  Xena had been pretty clear about how she felt, both about Philtop and about Gabrielle herself.

Pretty clear. She looked up to watch Xena’s profile, only to find those blue eyes watching her, a look of surprisingly gentle affection in them.  She smiled a little in reflex. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m thinking about you hauling that jackass down by his cloak. “ Xena said.  “Damn I’m sorry I missed that.”

“Mistress.” Brendan arrived back on the platform.

“Didja find him?”  The queen looked sharply at him.

For an answer,  Brendan extended his arm, which had a dagger lined up on the inside of it., the hilts cupped in his hand.  “Found this.” He said. “And this.” He offered his other hand which had a ripped piece of cloth in it.

Xena took the weapon first and studied it closely. She glanced to one side as Lastay came over to see what was going on.  “This crest familiar to you?”  She asked the Duke.

Lastay knelt beside the throne and looked at it, his head cocked slightly to one side. “Ah huh.” He frowned. “To be sure, your Majesty, I would have to look back in the scrolls. It does remind me a bit of the old seal of the Westlanders.”

“Oh really?” Both Xena and Gabrielle spoke at the same time.

“Aye.”  The duke sniffed reflectively. “Not the current Prince.” He looked past them to where Philtop’s group was seated.  “One before him.  Was in power when my father had the title and lands.  Used to come and make a fuss about the border.”

“I see.” Xena slipped the dagger into her belt. “Thanks.”  She took the cloth next, but it wasn’t nearly as interesting. Just a piece of sacking, coarse and unremarkable.    She turned over the bit of cloth in her fingers and paused, leaning her head a bit closer to examine it. “Merchant mark.”

“Aye.” Brendan agreed. “Didn’t know it.”  He added. “Asked the boys, no one’s seen it before.”

Lastay took the cloth when Xena offered it. After a moment, he shook his head. “Strange to my eyes, but then, mistress, it’s not my habit to examine the baskets and casks brought into my castle.”

No, Xena supposed not.  It wasn’t her habit either, really.  “Take it and have one of the men bring it around in the merchant hall. See if anyone knows it.”   She leaned back as Brendan took the cloth back, and headed off.  “Damn it.”

“Mistress, why would someone go and harm that horse.”  Lastay took a seat on one of the padded benches next to her throne, extending his legs out and crossing them at the ankles. “It seems senseless to me.”

Xena had been thinking about that too.  It had seemed senseless.  Why stab a circus horse?  She could almost have understood it, fitted it in as a piece of the puzzle if it had been Tiger, or a horse she knew – but she’d never seen this animal before, nor the circus performers who owned him.

No reason for her to care.  So it wasn’t the horse, itself.  Then what?  “Maybe someone wanted to set that beast off and hurt people.  Cause a panic.”   She mused.  “Would have. Thing would have crashed right into that whole front row there.”

Lastay slowly nodded. “Would have.”  He said. “Those are favored seats, your majesty.  Some of the youngsters of the royal council as well.  Could have done some bad mischief.”

A bunch of kids splatted under those big hooves, there under her eyes, in her hall while their parents watched?

Mischief? Yeah.  Xena felt a chill run down her spine.   She’d just gotten the majority turned in her favor, finally.  What would that have done?

Was that what this was all about?

“Maybe whoever it is knew you’d jump right down there, Xena.  Maybe they were trying to hurt you.”  Gabrielle spoke up. “That sure was a big horse.”

“Now that’s a thought, m’lady.” Lastay said.  “Drawing her majesty into danger, as it were?”

“Yeah. Maybe they did it hoping the horse would run over her.” Gabrielle nodded. “You know? Like that ox did one of the grooms the other day. He got really banged up.”

“C’mon, people.” Xena gave them both a droll look. “Don’t’ tell me some whacko expected me to risk my hoary old ass saving a bunch of noble brats.”

Both her duke and her bedmate looked back at her.  “Xena.”  Gabrielle gave her bicep a squeeze.  “That’s exactly what you did.”

“I know that.” The queen looked a trifle exasperated. “But given my reputation, who in Hades would expect it.”  She paused, looking from one to the other. “Besides maybe you.” She put her fingertip on Gabrielle’s nose. “My crazy little storytelling love muskrat?”

Gabrielle blushed appealingly.

“Ah.” Lastay scrunched his face up. “Well, now, your majesty.   That’s a point, certainly. Though in these past few seasons it seems to me word has gotten about a bit about differently.”

Xena shook her head. “I don’t buy it. More likely they were trying to cause a bloodbath and ruin my party.” She decided.  “Ah, here we go.” She indicated the show floor, where the circus performers were getting ready to start.  “Let’s watch and see what happens.”

“Do you think they’ll try something again?” Gabrielle asked.  “To hurt people?”

Xena steepled her fingers. “I think they’ll try something else.” She said. “They’ve struck out the last two rounds.  I just wish I knew what angle they’ll take.. I think after this we’re gonna start pushing their hand. I can’t risk giving them all the time in the world for them to plot with.”

“Go try and hunt them down?” Lastay hazarded a guess.  “It’s a big stronghold, your majesty. Lots of places to hide.”

“Yeah, but.” Xena pointed at the door. “With that weather outside, fewer places they can run.” She settled back in her chair as the acrobats came out.  “Ah there’s your little friends, muskrat.” She watched them climb up the wooden structure with spiderlike agility. 

They were engaging kids, the queen admitted to herself. Very well built and cute as buttons the pair of them, alike in size with beautifully defined muscles and obvious pride in their skills.

She’d seen them looking at Gabrielle, that morning, finding her consort apparently very attractive.  She gave them a point for good taste, but had also made sure it was quite clear who Gabrielle belonged to.

No sense in giving anyone any ideas.

One hopped on a swinging bar and hung upside down, letting his hands dangle as he swung back and forth. The other grabbed a second bar and launched himself into the hair, swinging back and forth in a timed pattern as he hung from his arms.

She could hear the creak of the ropes, as a quiet fell over the crowd, unsure of what they were going to see.

The first man held his hands out, and the second released his hold and flew through the air, catching the outstretched hands and being held by them, then on the back swing, he released his hold, and turned in mid air to catch his original swing and land back on the wooden structure, throwing his arm out in a theatrical gesture.

The crowd clapped appreciatively.  Xena turned her head and looked at Gabrielle with a steady, intent stare.  “Gabrielle?”

“Wasn’t’ that great?” Gabrielle looked at her, eyes alight.

“If you tell anyone I can do that I will spank you until your butt falls off.”  The queen told her, in an undertone. “Got me?”

“Can you?” Her consort whispered back.

“Not going to find out.”

“It sort of looks..”

“No.”

“But..”

“NO.”

**

The circus was a fantastic success.    Gabrielle’s hands felt raw from clapping, and the buzz of conversation around her was happy and excited, as the crowd started to filter out and head towards the banquet hall.

They’d seen so much.  The horses, of course, doing some amazing things in the relatively small interior space, and then acrobats, and the jugglers… and then they had brought out some strange animals that did tricks, she hadn’t known what any of them were.

Xena had, of course.   But even she had leaned forward when they’d brought out a huge striped cat and one of the circus performers had commenced to wrestle with it.   The animal was huge, as long as a horse with a head the size of a barrel top.

It had big, visible teeth that the man pried open it’s jaws to show them, and huge paws with raking claws at the end of them that dug into the floor as the performer struggled with him and scraped up huge chunks of the straw and sand padding.

It roared.  Gabrielle had never in her life heard a sound like that, and she sat enthralled as it raced around in a tight circle around the man, both of them surrounded by other circus workers holding horsewhips.

Xena, however, had frowned. “Poor damned animal.” She said, once they had taken the animal away, herding him down a tunnel made from bodies holding half shields, through a door into a half hidden cage.

Gabrielle had been a little surprised at that, at first, but then she thought about how Xena loved her horse, Tiger, and was always so concerned about the stronghold’s creatures, even the castle cat who loved to hide under their bed.

So maybe it wasn’t that surprising.  Xena had once told her she trusted animals over humans because they never lied to you and Gabrielle supposed that was true, since they didn’t talk at all, after all.

“Xena, can we go see that big cat?” Gabrielle asked, as the queen returned from talking to two of her higher ranking nobles, both of whom looked very pleased with themselves.  “Do you think they’d let us get a closer look? It was so pretty.”

“Let us?”  Xena rested her wrist against the top of her throne.  “Did you forget who’s the queen around here?”

“Never.”

“C’mon.” Xena motioned towards the steps.  “I want to see all those critters they dragged in here before they start charging a dinar to all these nitwits to look.”  She lifted her sword in it’s sheath off the back of the throne and tucked it into the crook of her arm.

“I don’t ‘think they’d charge you, Xena.” Gabrielle hurried to follow her long strides down the wooden platform. “After all, you saved their horse.”

Xena gave her an amused look.

“And you are the queen.”

“Oh yeah, that too.”  Xena drawled, as they reached the floor and walked across the scattered hay to where the circus performers were gathered, accepting coins from the crowd and chatting with them.

“That was great.” Gabrielle greeted them with a smile.  

The performers all peeked past her to where Xena was hovering. “Thanks.” Zev bravely spoke up. “I’m glad you liked it.” He eyed the queen. “ You did like it right?”

“I did.” Xena responded candidly.  “Want to give me and the muskrat here the half dinar tour of your creatures?  Gabrielle wants to see your kitty cat.”

“Sure!” Zev looked pleased to be asked.  He half bowed and indicated they should preceed him as he herded them gently to the back of the hall, where a makeshift canvas wall had been erected to give them a backstage of sorts.

Behind that, Xena could already hear the animals.  The stomp of horses hooves, and the rattle of chains assailed her senses, along with a mixture of manure and musk that made her nose twitch.  

She kept near Gabrielle’s shoulder as they were ushered past the canvas and were suddenly in a different world.    The wagons and carts of the circus were parked neatly in a square,  with seats and a small brazier set in the center of them.  Beyond the wagons were roped off areas for the horses and oxen, and then another section was blocked off by canvas walls was behind that.

“This is a great place to do our show.” Zev was chatting, as he lead them through the cozy campsite and back to the other canvas wall. “It’s perfect, really.”

“Yeah?” Xena pushed the canvas aside and entered the animal enclosure.   ‘Glad you like it.” She spotted the big cat and made sure she was within grabbing distance of Gabrielle as her consort was immediately attracted to it.  “Want to stick around for the winter?”

“It really was a great plac,e so nice and dry and… what?”  Zev turned and faced her. “Excuse me, your majesty, but what did you just say?”

Xena moved past him to examine the cat.  It was a massive beast, a burnished orange color with black stripes, with a head as big as an ale barrel.                                 

It was lying in the open, with a chain and collar around it’s neck, which was securely coupled to the largest wagon’s axle.  As it watched Xena’s approach, it opened it’s mouth exposing huge white teeth, and licked it’s lips.

Wow.  Even Xena’s jaded sensibilities were jolted by the animal on seeing it up close.  It’s fur was think and vivid and looked healthy and as she watched the animal stretched it’s feet out, displaying tufted white toes that had claws unexpectedly revealed in them.

“Your majesty?” Zev repeated, making a frantic come hither gesture with his hand, apparently to his lagging colleagues.  “Did you say something?”

“I did.” Xena circled the big cat, fascinated by it.  “I said, you want to stay here and do your show all winter? “ She glanced at him, and at the older man and woman who were rapidly approaching.  “Stick around, keep me entertained?”

Gabrielle almost held her breath, watching the circus performer’s faces.  She’d come to quickly like them, finding more in common with the younger ones than she did with most anyone else in the stronghold.  The thought of having them around to talk to and trade stories with over the cold months made her very happy.

“That okay with you, muskrat?”  Xena nudged her, having circled back around to where she was standing.

“Sure.” Gabrielle answered immediately.  “That would be great!”

Cellius looked at the older man. “Father, this is..”

“I know well who it is, my girl.” The older man bowed from the waist in Xena’s direction. “Your most magnificent majesty.”

Gabrielle held her breath for another reason, but Xena merely chuckled low and deep in her throat, a sexy sound that tickled the eardrums.    She relaxed, a smile appearing on her face.

“Good start.”  Xena told the man. 

“May I suppose I heard correctly, and that your Majesty wishes us to remain here through the cold, and perform for your subjects?”

“For me and Gabrielle. But the rest of them can watch too.” Xena agreed. “You can do a deal with the merchants I figure will be hanging around for a while. People show up, they make money, cut you in al little.”

The man had been staring at the queen, and now he exhaled and clasped his hands together.

“You can eat from my kitchens.”  Xena added. “What do you think?”

Gabrielle was watching them all. She caught surprise and relief in their eyes, and Cellius had a suspicious hint of tears.   She patted the girl on the shoulder.

“Your majesty – it has been long years for us, out on the road.” The older man said. “We have not stopped travelling since we left our home village, three cold seasons and more ago. Though we found ways to suffer through the weather and keep ourselves whole… the thought of being still and protected for a time nearly brings me to tears.”

“Gods.” Cellius breathed. “To sleep in a bed for a week.”

Gabrielle remembered the weeks out on campaign and how much she’d loved getting back to the castle. She could only imagine what it had been like for these people, who had been traveling much longer. 

“So is that yes?” Xena had been waiting with commendable patience, which had just come to it’s limits.  “You have no idea how much fun I’m gonna get out of having you lot in here instead of the overstuffed pomps and their dancing.”

The older man bowed again, this time with true, deep reverence. “Your majesty, it would be my great honor.” He straightened. “I am Stevanus, and I am at your service.  We would love to stay and entertain your beautiful self, and your subjects through the winter.”

“Oh, yay!”  Cellius whispered. “Oh Zev! Can you believe it?”

The young acrobat was almost bouncing in place, he was so excited. 

“Great.” Xena seemed oblivious to the drama at her elbow.  ‘Where’d you get the cat?” Having settled the matter to her own satisfaction, she returned to her original interest.  “I”ve seen one like it, but far off south from here.”

“Oh. Ah. Well.” Stevanus visibly wrenched his own focus to the animal.  “You know, we were in a portside town on the coast almost.. let’s see.. yes, a year gone now. And there was a man there who had a commission to deliver this big boy and some other animals but his purchaser never showed up.”

“Ah.” Xena cautiously approached the cat, and knelt, to get a better look at it.

“Ah your Majesty.. please have caution.”  Zev squeaked. “He bites.”

Xena chuckled, shifting the sword in her arm. “So do I.” She studied the cat, who was just as intently studying her.  “Beautiful.”

The cat yawned, exposing it’s teeth again and a tongue Gabrielle swore was the size of a man’s shoe.   She was just behind Xena, but had no urge to get any closer.  “Wow. “ She murmured. “Is it hard to travel with him? If he bites and all, I mean?”

“Oh, we feed him.”  Stevanus said. “And three of our handlers have become quite fond of him. He lets them put the chain on and walk him about, and they have trained him to do the things you saw him to do tonight.   I was given to understand from the boatsman he was raised from youth by men so he’s not as wild as he might be.”

“Ah.” Xena nodded. “That makes sense.”  She extended her hand towards the animal, watching it cock it’s head and observe her with tawny, glistening eyes.  She heard a sound behind her, and amused herself mentally imagineing her beloved bedmate going quietly nuts trying to keep from jerking her backwards away from the cat.

“Majesty, please be careful.” Stevanus said, unhappily. “We have only just begun a wonderful relationship I wouldn’t like it damaged by my creature’s teeth.”

Xena chuckled. “Don’t worry. I’m a big girl.” She watched the cat shift, and lean it’ shead forward, it’s big nostrils twitching as it sniffed her fingers.  “Big enough to not blame anyone for my getting myself into a mess.”

“Xena.” Gabrielle murmured, from right behind her.

“No problem, muskrat.” The queen was delighted with the tickling sensation from the whiskers against her fingertips.  “I’ve got two hands.” She heard her consort sigh, and felt a feather light touch against her back.

The cat opened it’s mouth. Xena kept her hand right where it was, knowing better than to make any sudden moves.  The big tongue protrouded though, and licked her fingers and she recalled handling sweet cakes not to much earlier.  “Like that, huh?”

“Gods.” Gabrielle muttered.

Xena touched the cat on the face, finding it’s fur softer than she’d expected.   She didn’t push her luck any further though, after a quick scratch under it’s jaw, she withdrew her arm and stood back up.  “Nice.”

She turned to find the handlers, and the circus people pale as new linen sheets behind her.  “Relax.” She told them.  “Smart cat. Recognizes one of his own kind.” She winked at them, and then slung her arm over Gabrielle. “Get yourselves settled. I’ll tell the servants to get you what you need.” Her voice turned businesslike.

Stevanos recovered his composure and bowed. “We are most grateful to you, majesty.”  He said. “My deepest thanks for your patronage.”

“Don’t thank me so soon.” The queen glanced around. “But you’re welcome.” She steered Gabrielle around the circle surrounded by the wagons, examining the other creatures who were in smaller cages mounted on them.

“By the gods, Stevanos.” Zev muttered. “You were right to bring us here.  To think of even a sevenday’s loose from the weather.”

One of the handlers cleared his throat a little. “By the gods is right.  She’s got the magic in her.  Did you see that cat?  Would have bit my hand off I’d tried it.”

Stevanos put his arm around his daughter.  “Sometimes my friends you just get lucky. “ He looked around, watching the queen’s tall form make her slow circle, with her friend alongside her.  “Not only safe shelter, but a chance to gather us some dinars as we’ll have board here.  It’s good. By the gods, it’s good.”

“What’s that Xena?”  Gabrielle inspected the last cage in the circle.  It held a pair of small animals, with short legs, and long bodies. They had wiggly noses and seemed as curious about them as they were about the creatures.

“Those are minks.”  Xena responded.  “Or  stoats. I’m not sure which.” She added.  “Nice fur.”

Gabrielle studied the little animals.  They had cute faces, and long whiskers, and agile paws. “Oh.” She made a little face. “I think Duke Lastay’s cloak is lined with them.”

“Mmhm.”  The queen agreed. “Don’t get too teary eyed, muskrat.  I know how much you like rabbit stew and lambchops.”

“No, I know.”

Xena looked around. “Okay.” She said, in a very quiet tone. “Let’s go out this way, and meet the troops.” She shifted and as though idly wandering, moved past the wagons towards one of the back entrances to the hall.

They slipped between two methodically chewing oxen and through a passageway into the back servants hall, now empty of people but filled with pieces of gear from the circuit.  Xena went down the hallway a couple of bodylengths and then thorugh a nondescript wooden door.

“Where does this go?” Gabrielle asked, feeling the temperature drop considerably. She rubbed her arms in reflex.

“Tunnel. We’re gonna meet the troops near the stables.” Xena went through another door and then pushed open a third, which revealed a long, dim stairway leading down.  She drew her sword from it’s sheath and handed the covering back to Gabrielle. “Hold this.”

Gabrielle tucked it under one arm and kept close to the queen’s heels as they descended.  “I’m really glad you asked them to stay, Xena. I like them.”

The queen smiled. “Yeah, I know you do.” She said. “Be good to give you people to talk to other than me who aren’t soldiers or stuck up nobles.”

“I always have you to talk to.”  Gabrielle commented. 

“Hm.”  Xena shifted her sword as they reached the bottom of the stairs, pausing to listen before she entered the chill, damp space under the hall.  Ahead of her was a big iron gate, that covered the entrance to a tunnel whose depths disappeared into the shadows.

Xena withdrew a key from the pouch at her waist, and fitted it into the lock, turning it with a bit of effort and a grinding squeak that made her ears hurt.  It took a lot more hand strength than she’d figured, but that fact itself reassured her as it meant the lock had been locked for a good long time.

She booted the gate open with her foot and passed inside, waiting for Gabrielle to follow her before she closed it, and locked it from the other side. She then pocketed the key and started down the tunnel, feeling it get colder and colder as they walked along.

“Brr.” Gabrielle exhaled, her breath just visible in the faint glow from ahead of them.   “Have you been in this one before?”

“From the other side.” Xena swept the tunnel ahead of them, her eyes easily picking out the stones that made out the walls, and the ground that had small holes and rocks in it, making it a little treacherous to walk through.   “I told you I knew where the one in the stables is. I never bothered to look at this one.”

“It’s creepy.”

Xena could hear the rock settling all around them, and soft whispers of wind, and a dank chill seeping into her bones.  “It’s a tunnel.” She said.  “It’s not supposed to be cheerful.”   She suddenly felt a prickle down her spine and she slowed, then halted, holding an arm out to stop Gabrielle.  “Psst.”

Gabrielle stopped and took a step back, just behind Xena’s left elbow. She could hardly see a thing, just the faint light from the stable end of the tunnel, but she knew something had to have made Xena react.

Something had.  Unfortunately, Xena didn’t know what the something was.  She knew her instincts were bristling and in reaction she brought her sword forward in front of her, her hand gripping the hilts as she strained to detect what disturbed her senses.

Sound? Smell?  Xena concentrated on both.  She could clearly hear the sound of her men gathering in the stables, and the soft drip of water behind her.  She could smell the mold and moss around her, the stone of the walls, the dirt of the floor, and Gabrielle.

Her eyes told her the tunnel was empty. Even with the dim shadows, she could see every inch of it.

So what, then?

Cautiously she moved forward, sweeping the air in front of her with her sword in a controlled pattern. It swept through the gloom, a flicker of metal that caught the dim torchlight from the far end as the tip wove back and forth.

She felt Gabrielle touch her back, and then fingers curled around the belt holding her robe closed.  “Stay close.”

“I will.” Gabrielle promised. “I can’t see a thing.”

Xena continued to slowly advance, sweeping the darkness in front of them. She had just started to relax, and figure her nerves were just shot when the light reflecting off her sword reflected off something else.

She stopped, bringing her sword up and angling it towards the torchlight.  Ahead of her,  at neck level, she saw the light shine back towards her off a thin string going from one side of the tunnel to the other.  “See that?”

Gabrielle tried. She screwed her eyes up, but all she could see was the outline of the exit to the tunnel far ahead. “No.”

Xena paused.  Should she trigger whatever it was?   “Brendan!” She let out a bellow.

There was a long pause, then a body appeared in the entrance, blocking the light. “Majesty?”

“Trap!” Xena called out. “Light this damn thing!”

Brendan disappeared.   Xena remained still, her sword held out in front of her. 

Then she saw the string suddenly release.

**

Instinct was funny.  Xena had always assumed her instincts were good and they were totally focused on keeping her head on her neck and her skin in one piece.    So finding herself primarily concerned with making sure Gabrielle was safe and exposing her own ass to whatever was coming at them came as something of a surprise.

Nevertheless, she half turned, putting her back to the danger and grabbed Gabrielle around the waist, pulling her down and sideways as her senses warned her something was coming at them. 

“Oof!” Gabrielle landed with a grunt. “Xena!”

Speaking of instincts.   Xena twisted as she landed and got her sword up just in time to deflect something off into the shadows, then a second, then a third, and she felt Gabrielle grab her from behind, steadying her balance as she lunged up from the floor and snatched a fourth something out of the air.

Then light was coming down the corridor along with a thunder of bootsteps. “Be careful!” Xena let out a bellow. “Light it up first!”

She dropped the arrow she’d caught, tossing it away from her back down the corridor.  “You okay, Muskrat?”

“Um. Yes.” Gabrielle said, out of the darkness.  “Except I bumped my elbow on a rock.”

The troops reached them at that moment and the hallway erupted into bright torchlight, sending splintered shadows against the walls.

“Got them here, majesty.”  A male voice echoed from a little ways up the corridor. “Crossbows.”

“Yeah.”  Xena turned and helped Gabrielle to her feet, frowning when she saw her bedmate cradling her arm.  “Let me see that.”

Gabrielle willingly extended her arm and glanced down. “Yeah, I think I… oh.  Xena, look. It wasn’t a rock.”

“Bigods.” 

Brendan held the torch close and they all stared down at the ground, where a wooden chest was positioned, the top of it knocked askew.   Inside, a crossbow mechanism was visible.

“Clear out from in front of that.” Xena ordered.   She waited until they obeyed, then she took the tip of her sword and eased the box open, so she could get a better look at the inside.   

The box was long enough to hold four crossbows and that’s what was in there. The trigger mechanisms were all tied to each other, and the cord was running out of the box, and crossing the ground just ahead of where Xena’s boots were, just about the height of her ankles.

Xena reached out and kicked the cord, and the box snapped back as all the crossbows fired down the corridor, rattling hard against the stone walls past the group of soldiers clustered tightly to  one side of her.  “Look around carefully. Make sure there aren’t any more of these damn things.”

With a casual swipe she cut the cord, watching it drop to the ground and slither away.   Then she went back to examining Gabrielle’s elbow, which now had a knot on it the size of a hens egg. “That’s gonna ache, muskrat.”

“It already does.”  Her consort made a face.

“No more of those, Xena.” Brendan came over to them.  “Damn bastards… coulda lost a good couple men in here.”

“Could have lost your friendly homicidal maniac in here too.” Xena remarked.  “A set of those damn things came from the other direction. Looks like someone didn’t want anyone using this tunnel and getting away with it.”

Now the tunnel was brightly lit, torches shoved into sconces spaced a bodylength apart down both sides of the hall.   Xena looked around, blinking  a little at the harsh smoke from the brands, and giving her self a moment for the nerves to settle.

There hadn’t been anyone in the hallway.   Just the traps. Her senses hadn’t picked up anything living or moving in the darkness, and she knew they would have.  If not before the triggering of the arrows, then after as whoever it was would slink away and escape.

She knelt beside the long, low chest and examined it.   The wood was ordinary, and as she lifted the top and turned it over, she could see it was relatively hastily cut, chopped with a common ax in fact and roughly fitted.

She ran her thumb over an edge, finding a fine layer of dust on the surface.   Damn it. How long had whoever this was been here?  She’d taken for granted she knew where this shadowy killer was from, but now… now she wasn’t really that sure.

She set the top aside and peered into the box, careful to keep her hands clear of the sides just in case someone had left a surprise sticking out of one of them.   The crossbow mechanisms had been fastened securely to the bottom plank with horseshoe nails.

Horseshoe nails.   Xena reached in an touched one with her fingertip.  Then she pulled her dagger out and unbent the nail, getting hold of it with her thumb and forefinger and yanking it out of the wood with a cranky creaking sound.

“What is it?” Gabrielle was still cradling her arm.

Xena stood, juggling the nail in her hand. “Just something I want a better look at in better light.” She said.   “Brendan, we need to find this guy.  This is getting too dangerous.”

“Getting?”  Brendan eyed her. “Bigods, Xena. “

‘Yeah.”   The queen sighed. “I know. I should have taken this more seriously before now.  Problem is, whoever this is got two hits in, and then his luck turned. He’s gonna start taking more chances.”

‘Y’think he knew we’d be down here?” Brendan asked.

Xena half shrugged. “Stands to reason we would be.” She looked around, cocking her ears. “But this wasn’t set today.”

“No?”

“No.”  Xena put her hands on her hips.   “Everyone fan out and search this tunnel end to end. I want anything that’s in here, dropped buttons, rat bones, whatever you find.” She ordered. “We start here, and then we move on to the next tunnel.”

“Aye.”

Xena swiveled around and regarded her consort. Gabrielle was back against the wall, atypically quiet, just watching what was going on.  Her body language was tense, though, and she had a furrow over her forehead. 

Arm must be killing her.  Xena pondered her dilemma.   She could order Gabrielle go back to their quarters, but that meant she’d be there alone, and the queen wasn’t about to permit that.

But she didn’t trust anyone to watch over her except herself. 

But if she went with her, that meant she ‘d have to trust her men to search the stronghold.

But she suspected they had a very clever assassin inside the stronghold, who so far had eluded their grasp, and seemed to have every inclination to keep trying to kill people.

She didn’t trust the men to find the killer.

Ah crap.  “Okay, listen.” 

“Could we go down there, Xena?” Gabrielle spoke up, pointing to the far end of the tunnel. ‘This place is kinda creepy.”

Well, it would postpone her decision at any rate. “Okay”  Xena agreed. “Let’s set up a command area at the end where it meets the other tunnels.”  She put her hand on Gabrielle’s back.  “C’mon.”   She sheathed her sword and plucked a torch from it’s sconce,  lighting their way as they walked across the uneven floor.

Behind her, the men were spreading out to search.  Ahead Xena could hear a number of voices, and see motion across the entrance to the tunnel.  “How’s the arm?”

“Ow.” Gabrielle admitted. “It really hurts.”

“Hm.”  Xena swept the torch back and forth, her eyes focusing on the edge of the tunnel.  She paused when they reached the other crossbow box, edging around and kicking it open with a swift motion of her boot. 

Like the first one, the box was angled upward on a slant, focusing the crossbow bolts at about gut level and the bows were angled a little to provide a nice range of coverage.   Whoever had set it up, knew their business.

In fact, Xena admitted, she couldn’t have done better herself.  “Nasty.”

“Burrr.”  Gabrielle concurred. “Glad I was with you.”

Xena stared at the box. “Yeah.’ She said. “Me too.”

Her eyes fell on one of the spent bolts from the box she’d triggered and she picked it up, examining the head and sniffing delicately at it.   To her surprise, only the standard smell of worked iron came back to her, and a quick examination of it in the torchlight showed no stain on the metal. “Huh.”

“No poison?” Gabrielle guessed.  “Maybe they thought the arrows were enough?”

Xena’s shoulderblades twitched. “Could be.” The queen agreed. “Almost was for me once, right?”

Gabrielle shivered, remembering the blood, and the injury, and her shaking hands cutting the arrow out of Xena’s flesh.   In her minds eye she could smell the tang of copper, and feel the softness of Xena’s skin under her fingertips.

She remembered Xena looking back at her over her shoulder, when she’d finished, having trusted her with a bare blade at her back, more trust than anyone had ever given her in her life until that moment.

Xena had been convinced then, she’d later told Gabrielle, that anyone else would have taken the opportunity to simply grab the arrow, and shove it on through her.  

So how had she known Gabrielle wouldn’t?

She’d just known.  There had been an understanding between them even then.   Gabrielle smiled a little, following Xena into the brightly lit circular chamber that sat beneath.   “But…Xena, didn’t you think there’d been something on those.. on that one that hit you?”

Xena paused, frowning.  “Did I?”

“You said.. when you had to go through that fight with Bregos and he hurt you?”  Gabrielle lowered her voice, as the men in the chamber realized the queen had entered. “You said that broke something open, remember?”

It seemed so far in the past now. Xena pondered the memory.  She remembered the fight, and yeah, Bregos that bastard smacking her in the back, obviously knowing of her injury from that bastard Alaran, and then… “Oh yeah.” She nodded. “Might have been. Might just have gotten some dirt in it.” She dismissed the affair.  “All right, people. Listen up.”

Gabrielle went over to one of the stone benches lining the wall and sat down on it.  Her elbow was still shooting jolts of pain up her arm, and she was careful to keep from banging into anything else, holding it close to her body.

Wow that hurt.  She reached up and wiped a few cooled tears from her eyes from it.  She didn’t regret it though – for sure she’d rather have a sore elbow than an arrow in her. No question about it.    And really, it probably worked out better for her to fall on top of that box, than on the stone floor, right?

She turned her attention away from her arm and onto Xena, who was pacing back and forth,  a little like the big cat, matter of fact.   She had her sword sheath shoved under the belt holding her gown closed and it really…

Well, it looked a little ridiculous.  She had that, plus a dagger stuck in there, and the front of the gown she was wearing had mud on it from her tussle with the horse.    Her hair was in rough disarray and as she watched, Xena impatiently pushed her sleeves up and exposed her muscular forearms.

“Xena.”   She called out softly.

“Yes?” The queen whirled and paced over to her.  “Arm falling off?”

“No.”   Gabrielle gently fingered one of the queen’s drooping sleeves.  “This looks um… “ She fished for a word.

“Idiotic.” The queen acknowledged belatedly., glancing down at herself.  “I should take it off.” She started untying the belt that held the gown around her, after shrugging off her cloak and laying it down on the bench.  “Wish I had my damn boots.”

“Want me to go get them?”

“No. “ The queen said, in a positive tone.  “Stay put.”  She turned. “Aegos!”

One of the soldiers, a troop leader Gabrielle recognized from the war came trotting over. “Mistress?” He stopped short as his queen apparently was stripping in front of him and bit his tongue, making a weird face.

“Send a man to my quarters.” Xena ignored that.  “I need my pair of riding boots and Gabrielle’s, and her sling and rocks.”

“Majesthy.”  The man mouthed, nodding and turning to do her bidding.

Xena spared a chuckle, and folded her silk gown, laying it down on the bench. She straightened out her leather armor, giving her body a little shake to settle it  and reached around to clip her sword sheath to it’s holders. “That look better?”

Gabrielle nodded, appreciating the way the well fitted armor outlined her lover’s form.   She got up and started untying her own belt, then yelped as she jostled her arm.

Xena paused in the act of tying her dark hair back. “Stop that.” She eased her consorts fingers off her belt and untied it herself, laying it over her shoulder and gently easing the gown off Gabrielle’s shoulders.   “Okay, we’ll set this search in motion then we have to make an appearance in the banquet hall.”

Gabrielle nodded, glad to be free of the gown. 

“Better for us to be dressed like this anyway. Everyone knows something’s going on.” Xena remarked. “Got your pigsticker?”

Her consort drew her belt knife from it’s sheath  in the small of her back and displayed it.   It was supposed to be just a table knife, for cutting her bread or the occasional tough chop served, but a closer look revealed a razor sharp double sided blade, with an indented channel in the center. 

She occasionally used it to cut slices of apple up and really hoped she was never called on to use it for anything more martial since she knew the chances were she’d cut her own thumb off with it before she’d hurt anyone else.

“Good.”  Xena adjusted a strap on her own armor.  Then she turned and headed for the wooden workspace the soldiers had set up, which was now covered in age darkened scraped cowskin, which had inked lines running all over it.  

A rough outline of the stronghold.  Xena put her hands on the workspace and leaned over it, studying the tracings.   To either side of the table, men were armoring up, donning well worn leathers and half armor, and seating swords and maces into holders.

Everyone had leather pants on, and high collared jerkins, and they were wearing light helms that protected the back of their heads.

Xena went back to the diagram.   It wasn’t that detailed, but it showed the outline of the buildings, and thin, dark tracings that were the tunnels underneath and the dungeons she tried very hard to keep empty.

There were pits down there, and cages, all lying in dusty disuse since she’d taken control.  Even the Persian soldiers were being held not in the dungeons themselves, but in the guard barracks that had once been used to keep control from, warm and comfortable billets that befit their status as honorable hostages.

They’d asked to join her army, after the war. Xena had seriously considered it, but something in her gut had kept her from trusting them and she’d settled on a compromise.  She’d told them if their king never answered her offer, she’d eventually give them a choice.

In the meantime, they trained with the army, sparring with wooden weapons and keeping themselves fit and suddenly, Xena wondered if they had seen or heard anything unusual and if they would tell her?

Brendan came over. “All secure, Mistress.” He said, quietly. “N’more of them traps anywhere.  I had the gates locked at t’other end.”

“Brendan, go get me that Persian captain.” She said. “Bring him here.” She indicated a set of lines on the diagram. “Their quarters are here… see where all these underground passages are? Where the old dungeons are?”

Brendan nodded. “Aye.”

“Let’s see if they heard anything.” Xena glanced up at him.  “Let’s see if their mood’s changed any recently.”

Her captain nodded in understanding.  “Were disappointed, when you kept em under lock.” He commented. “Could maybe protect this brigand, whoever it is.”

“Could.” Xena agreed. “Could be I’m an idiot keeping an enemy inside my gates.”  She studied the lines as Gabrielle came up next to her.  “Maybe it’s even one of them.”

“One of what?” Gabrielle asked.

‘The Persians.” Xena glanced at her. “Though they’ve had the opportunity to put a knife in my heart for a month apparently and haven’t.”

Gabrielle  looked up at her, seeing the furrowed crease in Xena’s brow.

“Damn.” The queen sighed. “I wish I could be sure about any gods be damned thing at all.” She paused. “Other than you.”

Gabrielle felt a chill travel up her spine.

The man she’d sent for their boots came back, holding those items under one arm, but carefully carrying a box with both hands. “Mistress.” He came over and set it down. “Found this in your rooms. Looked a bit like the ones we saw in there.” He indicated the tunnel. “Didn’t look in it.”

Xena regarded the box. “Definitely wasn’t there when we left.” She said. “Wonder what little surprise it has in it.”

In their rooms.  Gabrielle felt another chill.  How had they gotten there? Wasn’t there a guard?  Was there a hidden entrance there, too?

Was there more than one bad guy?

**

Xena poked her head out the wooden door that opened up into the stable yard.   She blinked, as snowflakes impacted her eyes, and she was more than surprised to see a dusting of the weather on the ground. “Snow?”

“Aye” Brendan edged up next to her. “Just started a bit ago.  Strange, this time of season eh?”

“Freak storm I guess.” The queen emerged into the stableyard, the box cradled carefully in her hands. She walked across to the center of the open space and set it down, then backed away, until she rejoined Brendan at the steps. “Gimme that crossbow.”

Brendan handed it to her, and she checked the bolt, then lifted it to her cheek and sighted along the shaft to her target.   She exhaled and went still, then squeezed the mechanism, glad of the grip she had on it when the string released and the crossbow bucked.

The bolt struck the box, knocking the top off as she’d intended.  For a moment, she and Brendan stood there looking at it, then Brendan started forward, carrying a shield. 

Xena pulled a crossbow bolt from the carrier strapped to her thigh and reset the crossbow, settling it into the crook of her arm as she covered her captain’s advance.

The stableyard was empty – not surprising given the weather, but she wasn’t taking any chances.   She lifted her head and scanned the walls, her eyes flicking momentarily to the upper walkway, where she’d once stood and ordered Gabrielle’s sister killed.

Brendan reached the box, and looked down into it. Then he turned and looked at Xena.  The queen interpreted his body language and started forward, letting the crossbow rest on her shoulder with it’s point skyward. 

“Bit of a false warning.” Brendan commented, indicating the box.

Xena glanced down into it, finding a beautiful silver pin resting inside, shaped into three intertwined roses of different shades made from glittering stones.  “Ah.”

Brendan knelt and retrieved the box, standing up with it in his hands. “Pretty thing.”

There was a small piece of parchment in the box. Xena removed it and opened it, half turning ot let the torchlight shine on it.  “Huh.”  She murmured. “Go find Stanislaus, wouldja? Bring him down to where we’re set up.”

“Aye.” Brendan handed her the box and turned to do her bidding.  “Figure he knows who put that in your place?”

“Something like that.” Xena put the pin back in the box and tucked it into her hand. She followed Brendan across the yard, and went back down the steps as he turned to the right to cross over to the upper corridor.

Gabrielle was waiting at the bottom of the steps.   “Everything okay?” She asked, as Xena reappeared. 

“Yeah.”  Xena pulled her closer to one of the torches and showed her the box. “See?”

“Oh!” Gabrielle tilted the container to the light. “Oh, Xena! That’s so pretty!” She looked up. “That was in that box? That was in our room?”

“Uh huh.” Xena handed over the parchment.  “Not the dangerous poisoned trap I’d imagined.”

“Oh.”  Gabrielle put the box down on the worktable and opened the parchment. She read the contents twice, before she looked up at the queen, who had resumed her leaning perch studying the layout of the dungeons.  “Wow.”

“Mm.”

Gabrielle looked back down at the parchment.

                           Your majesty – please take this token as a small indication of the great esteem which I hold for your royal person in my heart. Though we have at times been at odds, I have never regretted turning my back on exile when your predecessor perished and I made my decision to stay and serve you.

I appreciate your words to me earlier more than you could ever know.

Your obedient servant, Stanislaus.

“What did you say to him?” She looked up at the queen.

Xena glanced sideways at her. “More than I imagined, apparently.”  She replied. “I just told him it was a damn shame the moron I usurped cut his man’s parts off.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle made a face.

“Yeah, and I got a pretty bauble out of it.” The queen sighed. “What is it with me?  I do mean things, and people send me presents.  I have unwanted slaves killed, their relatives fall in love with me. “ She turned and spread her hands out in patent entreaty.  “I don’t get it.”

Gabrielle put the parchment down. She walked over and put her arms around Xena’s body, and gave her a hug.

Xena folded her arms around her consort and returned the hug.  She kept doing it, even when the door shoved open and Brendan came back in, a deep frown on his face. “What?”

“Majesty, I can’t find him.”  Brendan said. “Servants say he’s been gone a candlemark or more.”

The queen went very still.  “I’m not happy to hear that.” She said. “Put a squad on it. Find him.”

Brendan nodded. “Want me to send a man t’get that Persian you asked for?”

Xena shook her head. “I’ll go there myself, with the muskrat.” She said.  “You find Stanislaus.  Turn this place up side down if you have to.”

Brendan nodded and left.

“Do you think something happened to him?” Gabrielle asked, looking unhappily at the box. “Oh, Xena, I hope not. Not after he gave you such a nice present.”

‘I hope not too.” Xena said. “Bastard annoys the crap out of me but his heart’s in the right place.  Not many are.” She released Gabrielle. “C’mon. Let’s go have us a talk with your massage buddies. Maybe they can give me a few pointers.”

“Xena, I don’t think they meant any harm.” Gabrielle tucked her hand inside the queen’s elbow as they walked up the steps from the chamber into the central hall.  “And anyway, I asked them to teach me.”

“I know.”  Xena angled her steps towards the gated stairway across the hall that lead down into the dungeons.   There were no passageways that she knew of that connected the dungeon level to the tunnel she’d just been in danger in, but then, apparently she didn’t know as much about the underground parts of her realm than she thought she did.  “It’s okay. I’m not gonna stick em. I want to see if I can get them to cough up anything they might have heard down there.”

“Oh.” 

Xena unlatched the gate and opened it, and they started down.  The steps here were wide, but rough, and the ceiling rapidly lowered until it was almost brushing Xena’s head.  The queen ducked a little, and they went down the last set of steeper stairs into the lower chamber.

This was not that different from the one they’d just been in. However it was darker, and wetter, and there were fewer torches.   There were hallways leading off in three directions, but one was stoutly barred.

Xena looked at it. “Remind me to take you in there sometime, Gabrielle.” She said, quietly. 

Gabrielle looked  a the hammered crest affixed to the iron gates. “Is that where your brother is?” She guessed, in a soft voice.

“Yeah.”  Xena turned and headed down the central hallway, which was in better repair, and had obviously seen recent use. 

Then she stopped, and turned. “Matter of fact, now’s as good a time as any.” She reversed her steps and went back to the chamber, going over to the gates and resting her hands on them. She studied the latch intently, then she removed her dagger, and triggered the mechanism.

It opened without any complaint.  Xena eased the gate open all the way, and stepped inside, grabbing a torch from a wall sconce at the entrance.   She led the way down the narrow passage, going slowly enough to let her eyes scour every inch.

Gabrielle walked quietly behind her, and a silence settled around them that made her skin prickle a little.  She put a hand on Xena’s back as they turned a corner, and then were entering a larger chamber. 

She could see two crypts there, and her heartbeat rattled in her chest and she realized one was occupied, and the other was not.   

The room was plain, just chiseled rock walls, and on one side, a stone bench to sit on.  There was no other decoration.    

It smelled quiet, and dusty, and just a little damp, not nearly as wet as it did in the outer corridor.   Gabrielle bypassed the empty crypt and went to the other one, laying her hands quietly on the top of it.

Xena’s crest was carved into the stone, and she touched it with light fingertips, trying to imagine what her lover’s younger brother would have been like.  He’d been shorter than Xena, she remembered the queen saying, and fair haired as Gabrielle herself was.

A little boy, who had suffered, and lived, and grown up with  his sister, fighting all his life to achieve this place  and then to lose it just from spite.

It was terrible, she thought.  Terrible that he’d had to die the way he had.  Terrible for Xena to have found him, and worse, known that the only reason they’d killed him was their hatred of her.

Terrible. 

Xena was prowling around the room, checking every inch of it.  She patiently examined the empty crypt, then went along the edges of the room. 

“Y’know.” The queen said, as she peered at the dust on the floor. “I’m gonna have to find another place for all this stuff.”

“Why?”  Gabrielle turned her head.  “It’s sort of nice here. It’s quiet.”

“It’s too small.”  Xena said, kneeling to examine a smudge on the stone near the door.  She glanced up. “I never figured I’d have any more family besides him.  Now I do.”

It was offhand and ordinary, and hit Gabrielle hard in an unexpected place.  She felt her throat close, and she looked away, and then down, blinking her eyes and seeing the dark droplets fall onto the stone.

“What’s the matter, muskrat?” Xena came over to her, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Hey, didn’t mean to get you all upset. You don’t have to be laid next to me if you don’t want to.  We can have ya put in the stable next to Patches stall.”

That brought a faint smile to Gabrielle’s face.  “No.. I mean.. of course Xena. I want to go wherever you go, and stay with you forever.” She said.  “I just…  I remembered that night after Lila died, and how I felt like… I realized how alone I was in the world. I didn’t have anyone.”

Xena nodded somberly. “That’s exactly how I felt when Ly died.” She remarked.  “It was just us.” She put her hand on the stone. “And then it was just me.”

Gabrielle reached over and took her hand.  “I only had to wait a day though.” She said. “Because that next day.. even though I didn’t realize it then, I wasn’t alone anymore.”

Xena smiled, and tilted her head to regard her consort.

Gabrielle studied the empty crypt. “You think we could just fit in here together?”

The queen encircled her with her arms and hugged her, rocking them both together for a quiet moment.   “That’s why this whole thing’s making me crazy, Gabrielle.” She said, softly.  “It feels like someone’s trying to take everything away from me again. “

“I wont let them do that.”  Gabrielle said. “Nobody’s going to separate us, Xena. I don’t care what kind of creepy scary spook thing they are.”

It made Xena smile, that gentle, yet inflexible tone coming from this scrappy little woman wrapped around her. Whatever else Gabrielle brought to their relationship, there was no doubt of her devotion.

It had been so long since she’d known that.  “Maybe we should go get Tiger and your runt and just run off together somewhere.”

Gabrielle tilted her head up to look at her. “Just us?”

Xena nodded. “Just us.” She said. “Whoever’s here doing this – they want me. If I’m not here.. maybe everyone else will catch a break and be left alone.”

Gabrielle thought about that. “I”ll go wherever you go.” She said. “Maybe we can go find that boat!”

The queen smiled. “Maybe.” She sighed. “But you know, I’m not ready to run away yet. “ She said. “Keep that thought in your head, muskrat.  That may be my backup plan.”

Hm.  Gabrielle actually felt a sense of excitement thinking about that plan. She’d never forgotten the feeling she’d had when they were on the ship in the port city harbor, and for a little while it had looked like they were going to know it better.  “Okay I will.” She said. “But what are we doing to do now?”

Xena rested her chin against the top of Gabrielle’s head. “Well, they didn’t come in here.” She said. “I’m glad of that. I wanted to make sure.  Damned if I’m going to have some skank hiding his bamboo pipes in my own crypt.  “So now we keep hunting.”

They separated, and Xena led the way to the exit.  “Let’s go find out what the Persians have to say.” She waited for Gabrielle to exit the crypt and then she closed and locked the gates, putting the torch back in the sconce before they went up the short flight of steps leading back to the lower chamber.

They could hear voices coming down the center hallway and they walked quickly up it, towards the big wooden doors that led to the guard barracks.  

Here the floor was sanded, and as they passed through the open portal,  the activity inside went awkwardly still.

“Your majesty.” One of the senior Persians came over and knelt in front of her.  It was a surprisingly natural gesture.   “It honors us that you visit.”

Xena gestured towards the table. “Siddown.” She crossed the room and took a seat at the end of the broad wooden trestle.   

The barracks weren’t fancy, but they were secure and with the fire lit in the big fireplace whose exhaust was angled up to join the bigger one in the kitchens above.   There was a main room, where they were now, and six bunkrooms that split off from it.

The Persians had made the space their own, there were curved scimitars lying around and the round shields, and neatly painted hangings draped the walls full of the symbolism of their kind.

Xena rather liked it. It was well kept and orderly, and there was a camradery of the sword here that reminded her of her own army and past. 

The Persians approached warily and sat down, their eyes flicking in concern to Gabrielle, who had taken a seat next to the queen.  

Xena folded her hands and rested them on the table.   “Lakmas.” She glanced at their senior captain.  “Have you been provided with everything you need?”  She watched the man’s face. He had a square jaw and heavy, angular profile with a neatly trimmed dark beard.

The Persian nodded, even before she stopped speaking. “More than, your majesty.” He answered, his deep voice calm.  “Today in fact, we were brought good thick clothes, for the cold season.” He glanced to the door. “Which has come with much surprise, I think.”

“Started early.” Xena agreed.  “I haven’t heard back from your people.. As yet.”

The men watched her intently.  It was hard to say from their expressions though whether they were glad or sad to hear that.   Then Lakmas clarified the situation. “Majesty, we would as well they didn’t.”  He said.

Xena nodded thoughtfully.  “I see.”

“We understand why you keep us so, in honorable bondage.” Lakmas went on.  “We only hope a time will come, when you can accept our swords in your service.”

Xena studied them all.  There were twelve men here, representative of the two score she’d captured in the battle, all of which were scattered through the guards barracks belowground.   They had shown no evidence at all of any treachery since.

“I hope, your majesty.”  Lakmas spoke up again, a little timidly.  “You do not bear grudge against us for teaching your noble consort some of our homier skills.”

The queen smiled. “No.” She said. “In fact, your doing that might have gone in your favor” She said. “I have reason to believe there’s one or more enemy agents inside the stronghold. I’d like your help in finding them.”

The unspoken response was amazing.  The Persian soldiers were all tough looking men, with big, muscular bodies, dark skinned and dark eyed and at the words they all straightened up in their seats like children promised iced cake for dessert, their expressions lighting up.

Would have been funny, really.  Xena stifled a grin. “Firstly, I’d like to know if any of you, or any of your brothers have noticed anything at all strange, in the last sevenday.  Sounds.  Smells.” She lifted a hand. “Anything.”

Lakmas turned his head. “Gibron, go get Bitras and Alain.  Remember what they were saying this morning?  About the leaves?”

Bitras, the Persian second in command got up and hopped over the bench, heading off into the barracks, calling loudly for the men he’d mentioned.

Then he turned back to the queen. “Your majesty, with this uncertainty, it overwhelms me that you would turn to us to assist you.”

The queen smiled grimly. ‘Trust’s a relative thing.”  She said. “So let’s see if I guessed right this time.”  She leaned forward. “Let me tell you what I’ve found so far.”

One of the Persians got up and went to the fireplace. “Tea, your majesty?”

Lakmas smiled and rested his elbows on the table.  “Perhaps the weather has changed indeed.”

**

Continued in Parts 6-9


Return to Melissa Good's Fiction Page

Return to The Bard's Corner

Return to AUSXIP